Reviews of Down Royal House

Cockhill Road, Maze, BT27 5RS, United Kingdom

#1 of 2 hotels in Maze

Hallways smelled like smokers, lounge area not very clean or updated. Highway nearby quite loud.

Very good price, clean room and bathroom, very comfy bed. Great family pub nearby. Good breakfast.

THE LADY WHO GREETED US EVENTUALLY AFTER RINGING FOR AGES, COULDN'T SPEAK ENGLISH & GREETED US IN HER DRESSING GOWN WHICH I FOUND QUITE UNPROFESSIONAL. THE B & B IS SITUATED BEHIND AN INDUSTRIAL AREA SO NOT A GREAT PLACE IF YOU'RE STAYING MORE THAN ONE NIGHT, HOWEVER, NO NOISE FROM THERE & WE SLEPT VERY WELL. WE CHOOSE NEAR LISBURN SO THAT WE WERE JUST AN HOUR FROM BELFAST, HOWEVER, THIS PLACE IS EVEN FURTHER AWAY FROM LISBURN & A TAXI WAS DIFFICULT TO FIND. WE ASKED THE HOSTESS ABOUT A TAXI BUT SHE JUST GAVE US A CARD & THIS NUMBER DIDN'T EXIST ANYMORE. WE ALSO FOUND IT STRANGE WHEN WE WENT DOWN FOR BERAKFAST, THAT WE WERE NOT ASKED WHAT WE WANTED TO EAT BUT WERE JUST PRESENTED WITH AN ENGLISH BREAKFAST-VERY NICE BUT WHAT IF WE'D WANTED SOMETHING DIFFERENT LIKE A SCRAMBLED EGG INSTEAD.HOSTESS STILL HAD DRESSING GOWN ON AT BREAKFAST!

BATHROOM WAS HUGE & HAD A SHOWER & BATH, PLENTY OF HOT WATER. BED COMFORTABLE, LOTS OF TOWELS & CLEAN ROOM. TOP SHEET ON BED WHICH WAS GREAT AS IT WAS HOT. LOTS OF WINDOWS TO KEEP COOL.

No-one there to greet us on arrival, waited over an hour to be let in to property. Extremely poor customer service from owner. Location ideal for Eikon exhibition centre but not for local restaurants/bars - which you need when there's no staff on hand.

I would absolutely recommend , clean tidy ,with excellent facilities, located in a quiet rural location within 10 mins of belfast ,including a very warm welcome from a very warm and friendly host, ***** Derek /Dublin

Front door mat totally disintegrated and sweepings from bygone days, including used cotton buds litter the entry. Rooms were badly cleaned with detritus from previous guest in drawers and on the floor. Furniture was old and decrepit with bits of it in the drawers. Shower leaked all over bathroom floor. Shaving light didn't work. No bath mat. Almost impossible to find without GPS and far to far out from Belfast with no transport to and from the city (busses).

Breakfast was good, except fruit in the fruit bowl is rotten and wrinkled with age. Except for a couple of recently added bananas, the rest was inedible.

According to the address, GPS can’t find this B&B. May need more detail address. All horse shits smelly from windows in because nearby the race course.

The owner was friendly. The breakfast was good and room was clean.

Excellent stay. The proprietor was very welcoming and friendly, and gave us lots of excellent information concerning the County Down area and it's attractions. The bedroom was comfortable, and the breakfast plentiful and beautifully cooked.

Located in rural setting close to Down Royal Racecourse, this property is particularly positioned for those interested in Irish country life and/or thoroughbred racing.

My boy and I stayed here. Excellent value for money. Lovely sized room, very clean, cracking sized bathroom and great shower. The cooked breakfast is really good, followed by toast, orange juice and a BIG pot of coffee. We were treated so well by the owner. Next time I need a B&B in this area, I am definitely staying here. Highly recommended.

The towels were the worst we have ever seen, ripped in 3 places and small. No mat for the shower. The shower door did not open and close properly. No bedside lights. One of those anonymous b&bs with an intercom for contact.

Didn't have breakfast as had to leave at 6.00 am

It was fine.

The rooms are dated but perfectly adequate. Comfy bed, good en suite. Found room too hot but adjusted the heating. It was only a short distance from our son’s home which suited us, and only 20-30 mins from Belfast and the ferry.

The smell of frying was everywhere. The extractor fan from kitchen was blowing up into our bathroom upstairs. The fry for the breakfast was brought on straight away, giving us no time to have cereal. The tea and toast were cold. The place could do with redecoration. The place looked tired.

The only complaint I had was that the room did not have a bedside lamp As a night reader I prefer a lamp to the main light Our friends room did not have a lamp either

The breakfast was freshly cooked and the owner more than helpful

Some areas need updating and cleaning could be better. Radiator was rusty and Crumbs in drawers. Door to bathroom was irritating and WiFi poor in bedroom could not use it for ipads

Very good shower with plenty of hot water and a good night sleep. Very friendly host.

Bit out of the way definitely need car,pub at racecourse close 5mins drive very full for sat dinner staff fairly pleasant!!!

Excellent staff info at checkin.powerful shower,comfy bed 10/10 breakfast ontime and hot Easy to locate of motorway.very friendly overall

If I was being picky, the sign is difficult to see and drove past a couple of times.

Staff went above and beyond expectation, very helpful. Room was very comfortable , .Breakfast was excellent. Exceptional value for money.

The man who greeted us was very friendly and chatty. Made our stay very relaxed and comfortable. The cooked breakfast and coffee were lovely. Would highly recommend. We will stay again.

If you have no transport, it is bit out of town.

Diane was very helpful to find a place for us to have dinner. She spent a lot of time on PC and phone to find a solution for us! Very good breakfast!

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Ring for attention on arrival, no one around, bathroom fan from next door room stayed on for ages and interrupted sleep.

Comfy beds, room was well equipped with tea and coffee making facilities, tv and ensuite. Breakfast choice was good and host very helpful.

The room was clean and tidy, nice temperature but the day outside was warm as well,just not happy with the way the payment was taken.I offer to make the payment on the arrival by cash or card, the owner even had my card details through booking.com,the owner didn't accept the payment when I offer on arrival saying that we could do after and that he also had the card details so he could then get the money from the card,few days after I left I had the police knocking at my door with a note to pay the room saying that I left the room with no idea to pay when I offered money,card or he could take the money as I always pay trough BOOKING.COM. Really disappointed and make me feel ashamed when I had 2 police officers knocking my door looking for the payment.

The bed could do with some tlc. Quite wobbly and loose metal frame. This was not to much of a issue as was very comfortable

Grate location for the event center and race course. Perfect welcome and made to feel at home. Breakfast was loverly. The hosts could not have done more for us.

On the other hand it was a bit off the beaten path. Once checked in there was no place to walk to. The lounge furniture was definitely has seen better days. The twin beds were European size, that is narow for North American folks, but it was not a surprise to us. The size of the room was. It was hard to spend confy time in the room and as I said the launge was not very confy either. There was no variation in breafasts for two mornings.

It was a fair price. The proprietor was very friendly. If you like a shopping, the is close to two shopping centres. This facility had the best shower head and water flow we have experienced at any B&B over the years!

Could do with bed side lights and chair in bedroom. This didn't take anything from our enjoyable stay.

Excellent breakfast. Friendly owner. Very clean and comfortable room. We will stay again if visiting the area

i can.t say anything was wrong with the property maybe a little update but all in all everything was as good as anywhere else

The breakfast was excellent and timed to perfection . The gentleman who welcomed us was really very good and showed us around the property .He was very friendly and very helpful i would recommend this b&b to my family the area was well located and very near other places to visit we had a very good weekend thankyou

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

It was a little difficult to find the b&b. Maybe another few signs would help this.

Friendly staff who were helpful. Area was lovely and quiet.breakfast was punctual and tasty.

The house was big, but was in great need of a face lift. It looked a bit tired and neglected. The garden and surrounding grounds were rather untidy and inside the house was old fashioned and stuck in 70's style. There was only a skylight in our room so we could not look out of the window, there were cobwebs on the skylight and the glass was very dirty. One of the bedside lights did not work and both lights were on a pull cord which is unusual. There was a broken hanger in the wardrobe and a blouse left by someone else. The room looked fairly clean, but it didn't feel clean. The carpet hadn't been hoovered properly, the floor was very creeky, the mirror had streaks on it and there was black mould in the shower. I was disappointed with our stay. it is a bit out of the way and the photographs must have been taken ages ago. Sorry, will not be back and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Owner was a lovely gentleman, very helpful, welcoming and accommodating. Breakfast was great.

Very nice accomodation with lovely breakfast. Highly recommended to return one day. The owner was so friendly and fulfilled every request as good as possible. Thanks again for everything

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Nothing to complain about.

The down stairs bedroom was excellent right next to the outside door, opposite our vehicle, we had no problem with walking the dogs as the property had excellent outside lighting and security cameras all around as well as an large lawn and drive way, the room was very comfortable, and the wet room was excellent, just be careful as the wet tiles can be very slippery, breakfast on both days was fantastic, great choice. Would recommend this. B and B to friends, we will stay here again.

I could not fault anything

The owner was lovely to deal with , always on call if we needed anything . The accommodation was lovely and clean and our bed was dressed daily which was a lovely touch! Breakfast was made fresh and on time for when we got down. Location was super and very close to Belfast.

When I arrived I wasn't greeted by David only to speak into an intercom

For me the location was important very clean lovely breakfast and David was helpful

I cannot think of a single fault, really enjoyed every part of my stay there.

The owner was an absolute star, helped immensely with making sure I could get to some destinations and even very kindly provided me with a lift to the airport as I was checking out. The facilities were excellent and very clean, everything was working and in it's right place. The owner made sure breakfast was served at the time I requested and even had it ready for me when I was an hour late on the last morning (sorry about that!), the breakfast itself was great, a traditional cooked breakfast that was delicious.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

No issues, if there was Dessie would have fixed it.

The owner Dessie went out of his way many times to help me out. It is the best, most genuine service I have had and is much appreciated.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

The location, how far away it is from Belfast and the airport, also given that there is no public transport through there, especially on the weekend

The Cleanliness of the facility, the very jolly and helpful staff, the shower and bathroom in general

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Small issue with a broken electrical plug that was easily and quickly rectified

Very pleasant room. Breakfast was served on time, and nicely prepared.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Dirty shower needs a good clean.... not a great selection for breakfast ... no full length mirror ...

Was very dissapointed with the shower could not believe how dirty it was I never used it .... did take photos !!! Breakfast !!!! Mmmm the lady i traveled with ordered coffee as wee were asked what wee wanted when we checked in we couldn't order our drinks on the morning as he had to and leave kids to school ????? Really but when we did get to breakfast no coffee just tea that no one ordered ?? The fry was good as it was all you got ... no buffet at all .. orange come to the table already poured not what I like so if you wanted more no chance .. we got our toast when we had finished our breakfast .. they really need to go back to the drawing board again and start all over again and maybe bring in a lady in to help them clean the showers dust the place ... and lay on a better breakfast, was very very disappointed with our stay ....

On the whole it was clean and comfortable the only thing to let it down was it is poorly signed from all approaches and the sign outside the property needs to be a bit bigger and brighter

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

I don't eat bread or any of the cereals which were available. I only eat porridge but there was no option for that. I ate the fry and it was good.

The bed was very comfortable. The shower room was very good except for the first shower i had and i may have stayed in too long thereby leaving a lot of water to mop up. I will stay again, if i am let.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

It would have been helpful to have a shelf or cupboard in the bathroom to store toiletries but that is a very minor thing.

The owners were very friendly, welcoming, accommodating and laid back.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

in my opinion nothing could have been better

the staff were brilliant. the room was very comfy and hygiene was of a high standard. the breakfast we had in the morning was delicious!!

Lounge area was very cramped and with location quite isolated staying in room was the only option.

Owner very helpful offering a lift to Italian visitor who was without transport. Breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Owner was pleasant and welcoming. Bed was comfortable and the breakfast served with a smile was excellent. Accommodation was signposted but a little difficult to find even with sat nav.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Could have been little cleaner, especially breakfast table clothes, also being served breakfast in socks is health and safety

Bed was comfortable, huge en suite, bright room

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Would love a flat surface in the bathroom to put our things on - needed in most B&B's and small hotels - not just this one!

Comfortable, clean, suitable for our needs.

Arrived late but the gentleman was very welcoming he also let us stay late in the day until my son could pick us up .

Stairs,a small stairlift would have been helpfult

Staff friendliness and helpfulness

Towels were worn and small Another resident smoked in room and smell wafted up stairs.

Appreciated use of laundry.

The radiator was very dusty. Yogurt for breakfast would have been nice.

Excellent location.

Just a little far from town

Cozy room and great breakfast at a good price

The owner Dessie was very welcoming, the room was very comfortable with a great shower and super breakfast. Fantastic value for money

Can’t find any critics

Dessie great friendly guy clearly a self business where clients come first Great Shower to 👍

I would have liked a bath in the room, however the shower was wonderful.

I liked the home from home feeling very welcoming.

Old furniture, small bed

Staff

Very high standard of cleanliness, obliging staff and friendly atmosphere

Irish breakfast was delicious. Very friendly staff.

N/a

Clean and tidy and friendly

Very clean and very relaxed environment

Comfy bed, very clean. Lovely cooked breakfast. Owner couldn’t be more helpful & friendly.

Well located for our purpose. Warm and all facilities worked.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Reaching the bedside light was difficult for a small person.

Warm welcome and cosy bed. Shower was fantastic. Heated room waited for us.

I have stayed here a number of times now. Very comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast.

Poorly sign posted, hard to find.

Overall would recommend, would go back

Best breakfast ive had in a long time.

No one there to meet us on arrival

Breakfast was amazing

Friendly welcome. Clean, comfortable room. Very quiet location. Good breakfast

Everything very friendly nice people

Excellent breakfast Friendly staff Would definitely stay here again

Road noise.

Facilities were satisfactory.

Nothing Very nice lovely friendly and would recommend a great place to stay!!

Very pleasant and extremely nice!

Room was too hot

Good location, friendly helpful owner, pet friendly

Nice welcome,Lovely breakfast,info given for nearest restaurants,and how to easy access motorway route,all round excellent

N/a

Value for money. Clean and tidy. Friendly host

Nothing loved it

Everything was ideal,great shower and lovely hosts,perfect breakfast definitely we will return

Nothing to say

Clean rooms helpful staff . Good breakfast

X

VFM Host is great Stayed here before

Good sized rooms and in excellent condition