Reviews of The Rams Lodge

#93 of 93 hotels in Manchester

5.3

4.7

5.5

The shower didn’t work. We didn’t complain about this as we didn’t need it, so never gave the hotel a chance to sort this out

Excellent value for money

Room not been cleaned since last guests but that was just putting rubbish in bin

Bed broke ,cleaner must have died but as just a bed for night after foo fighters concert it was great

The accommodation felt unclean, in need of dire refurbishment. Very poor décor, bed from prehistoric times as was furniture, falling apart and everything very, very tired. Shower didn't work and toilet leaked. Worst hotel, if it can be called a hotel, I have ever stayed at. Would have moved; however due to events in city, accommodation limited. Upon returning home felt extremely unclean and everything, whether worn or not, was washed thoroughly. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, even people I don't like!!!

The bar/restaurant next door to the property was very good, friendly staff and clientele, good food and atmosphere.

Noisy.Door has been kicked in in the past as it has been patched. Shower was ice cold for three days. No internet at all( the box was dangling from a cable in the passage. Bar nor restaurant wasn't open for the three days we were there. Staff were very rude. We found condom wrappers in our draw of the side cupboard. Towel rail fell off twice. Door handle came off and I had to attach it. Sticky dirty carpets. A total disgrace for the money. I will mail this comment to all my genius mates around the globe and hope they do the same. This property should not be on booking.com at all. PATHETIC TO SAY THE LEAST.

We liked nothing.

Carpets very poor and stained. Room Dusty and furniture in poor condition. Decorating very rough.

Beds were shabby but clean sheets and comfortable sleep. Clean towel and soap provided. Wifi throughout!! Helpful and friendly staff at all levels. Very easy to find the lodge and adequate parking off street. Very well located for getting into town. On a Main bus route that runs late at night. Quiet area on weekdays. Lovely pub n restaurant up front. Good sized but basic en-suite. Exactly as we expected it to be in fact, ie. Very simple basic bed for the night and very good budget prices/value for money all things considered.

The location was very far away from Manchester. The room was not as good as on the picture. They were no lock on the bathroom, to use the shower we had to leave one hand or feet on the mixer tap. It was impossible to take a good shower. Moreover they were lot of hair in the bath when we arrived. The receptionist wasn’t smiling and very friendly.

Decor was old and tired, some of the lights didn't work but we were there for a one night stop over so I didnt bother to ask about replacements, Im sure if i had they would have been fixed.

comfy bed , clean , convenient to come and go , quiet in the morning no traffic. Late check out so good lie in . Friendly staff, good value for money

The room was the filthiest room I have ever stayed in. The lightbulbs did not work, the hot tap swivelled in place rather than turn on and one of the handle parts was missing on the cold tap. The basin had filth on the underside and down the pedestal. The kettle was so dirty that I was too disgusted to make a drink in the morning. The blinds had months of inground dirt and were broken at the ends. The lightswitches were also covered in long term dirt. Even the desk had splashes of dirt up it: it was like the room had never been cleaned properly. The twin beds were of completely different heights and the bases and mattresses were also dirty, the mattresses were of appalling quality and meant sleeping was impossible. The curtains were so thin that the light came straight through. The Lodge is badly signposted so is hard to locate and it is very unclear that you should check-in at the restaurant in front. I expect basic and out-dated for the price, but not dirty and not fit for purpose.

Nothing was good about our stay.

I understand that it was only £30 however 1) to start with we couldn’t get access to the car park due to some crazy parking from the guests in the restaurant at the front of the building which nobody was happy that I asked for the person to move there car (my thinking is if I damaged their car or mine who would be at fault and pay to fix any issues!!! ) 2) room was okay not big or anything 3) tv did not work properly 4) shower did not work so had to have bath which is fine however when booking was told it was a shower!! 5) One small towel for two guests staying when looking for staff to get more we couldn’t find anybody 6) No hairdresser or hand soup 7) no ashtray outside so the main entrance to rooms had cigarette butts everywhere 8) bed was broken and noisy at left hand side also we very uncomfortable!. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND

The location only

The hotel needs decorating, there was make up down the walls, enamel coming off bath, pubic hairs in bath! No cups for coffee, you could tell the doors had be kicked and wood put over them, was a real shame as restaurant and bar looked amazing

The only plus side was comfy bed

It was awful the room wasn’t clean with kfc around the room it was very very dirty the view was a giant pile of scrap metal and mattresses no hot water at all security was horrendous overall disaster!

Bed was a little hard.

Cheap and cheerful! Fresh bedding and towels, wasn't pristine but was only there for 1 night. Close to lots of shops bars and restaurants, on a bus route too. Free parking and discount if wanting to eat in the restaurant. Friendly :) Would stay again.

Property a dump, slept on top of bed in my clothes as so dirty, would have driven home if I hadn’t had a drink. Great location but hotel in serious need of renovation. Downstairs stinks of cannabis, bathroom in n our room needs ripping out, toilet not stuck to the floor. View from our window piled up broken furniture. Believe me I am not fussy I camp at festivals but this is as bad

Place was clean and cheap but guy in room downstairs (was told owners son) had a bit if a gathering. No loud music but security door to outside was shutting with a bang anytime someone went out for a smoke with loud conversation under the window... did eventually go quiet at 5.20am

Check-in staff really helpful, room very clean (despite cigarette burns all over the chest of drawers) and the bar Inferno which is at the front was pretty good.

Needs refurbishing to ensure safety and customer well-being. Other than that I’d recommend since it is one of the best value for money hotels in Manchester in my experience.

Unfortunately the room was tired (But very very clean) which may put people off. The restaurant was closed which was a shame as it looked very nice indeed (I think its closed on Tuesdays).

A basic room which some may find dated. However, the staff where fantastic on giving us tips on the area during our stay. We arrived early (11.30) and given access to our room right away. The cleaning lady was a delight and parking the facilities were more than suitable. Perfect for what we needed and we would certainly book again.

The room was really dated and in desperate need of a paint. The walls were stained, there was a light that didn't work. The television remote didn't work and looked like the batteries had leaked. The furniture was old, the bathroom looked worn, the grout was black/old.

The property was cheap and in a good location, it was behind a restaurant which was closed the night we went but looked nice. We was in walking distance to takeaways, pubs and shops. The bar maid was really friendly and helpful she offered to ring us a taxi. The bedding and towels were clean.

The room was very run down.. Thankfully we did have clean sheets and towels. That's the main.. Sasol for cheap two nights but wouldn't stay longer

Run down.. Hidden behind restaurant

The shower didn't work (the water would only come out from the bottom tab, not from the actual hose). When I told the receptionist about that, she told me that she knew about it because she had stayed in the same room before me. She told me that all the other rooms were already booked, so she could not give me a new one. They sent a technician to my room and I had to wait for an hour for the shower to get fixed. The personnel was friendly and helpful, but I find unacceptable to offer a room to customers, knowing that is not ready.

The sheets and towels were clean but absolutely everything else was dirty, sticky and grimey. Door lock, windows were in a poor state and the decor was poor and furniture falling apart. The kettle was not working.

Clean sheets and towels. Soap, tea and coffee provided. Good location for the city centre, short bus ride in. Friendly and helpful staff. Good parking.

The room was nothing like the pictures described, beds are the most uncomfortable beds ever, shower was pathetic, the cleanliness of the rooms - nothing a deep clean wouldn’t sort Badly needing a revamp

Place was particularly unkempt. Requires complete overhaul. Not very clean , needed new bathrooms , new furnishings , new beds , but inspite of that you get what you pay for .

Good Location , clean sheets & towels. Value for money.

Could do with new blinds, new bathroom as was a bit stained albeit clean. It’s deffo needs a fan as room was so hot. The back room view was a load of rubbish so not the best thing look at.

The bed was comfy. It was a basic hotel. It wasn’t the ritz But it was what I expected for £55. £8 taxi into manchester👍🏻

No shower working, the bath did not have a bath, the view was was like a building site old mattresses rubbish ,tables, chairs,

The restaurant was good.

Didn't like l booked 2doubles and 2singles but got3doubles and1single 1of my party had to sleep on the floor.they sad it was booking.com that made the mistake.

The staff were very friendly

The room was very dingy, very old and generally a bit grimey. The back window looked out on to a rubbish dump. The door locked with a very simple, low-cost lock which did not feel very safe or secure. One mattress was comfortable, the other you could feel every spring in the bed.

The check-in person at reception was very helpful and kind. They made an effort to make the room more hospitable with a kettle and tea, coffee. The location is somewhat close to the airport, a taxi cost £14.

Ghe fact that bath was falling off the wall and the taps moves when you tried to turn the wzter off

Looked like a run down office block but alright to get your head down

First room wasn’t made up. It was awful! Second room dirty. Hotel surrounded by garbage and smelling. Car park often full and double parked.

Excellent location, cheap & close to bars and restaurants

Dirty, not cleaned from last guest, half drunk cup of tea on the bed side table used towel in bath room, no plugs in sink or bath, shower did not work, bed dirty, other guests arguing for half the night was also quite disturbing as there were loud screams and followed by sobbing

NOthing

Truly terrible stay, the shower didn't work and when pulled the tap it came off in my hand ! As was too late to alert staff I went unshowered. The hot tap had one setting which as schorching hot ! The room smelt musky and I overlooked what I could only describe as a fly tipping site. The bed, oh the bed.... Truly awful and surely called and anti sleep mattress !! Would have been better sleeping on bed of nails !!! The walls were paper thin and all night had local morons either having sex or partying ! If you like staying in something not in great shape and looks like a prison please book.

The kettle worked.

Whole place is disgusting. Filthy rooms and rude staff

The rooms are completely filthy and the decor is falling to pieces.our bed had black Crawley insects inside and our view was of a rubbish dump,the pillows and mattress was badly stained and no plug for the dirty bath. A lady overdosed in the room opposite and there seemed all sorts of strange behaviour going on. Seems full of drugs and prostitution. Staff are unfriendly and unhelpful. Did get an exchange for a room without bugs in the bed but room was still filthy with electrics hanging out of walls and filthy corridor sticky carpets. Cigarette buts in cupboards and rusty heaters with broken blinds and ill fitting stained curtains.furnature scratched to pieces,door locks are not secure. This places advertised as a four star!!avoid at all costs

The rooms were bearable but the bathroom was disgusting...people partying all night. Very noisey, people sleeping in cars in the car park and urinating in the car park. Drug dealing in the car park....won't ever stay again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The rooms smelt of weed, the entire building was surrounded by debris and the entire stay was quite frankly a disaster! No one available to check out and the building was practically falling down! Cannot believe it is even advertised on such a reliable website

That we didn’t get killed in our sleep, although the room looked like a crime scene upon arrival

The staff were not helpful during my check out.in fact there was no one at the reception.I couldn't get access cause I left by 4am despite the receptionist promise to get a cab for me ' there was no cab .I had to come out date early to get a cab.it was very risky.

Closeness to the airport

I’ve seen cleaner looking skips. This was the view from the car park. Didn’t bother getting out of the car. Disgraceful booking. Com this is the second shot hole you have sent me to, I will not be using you again!

Nothing, but to be fair didn’t get past the car park after seeing what a dump it looked. Is this really a hotel????

I wish I was informed that my room had a television, I would've brought some entertainment along with my if I'd have known. Plus the view from my window was nothing but a mossy old car park with abandoned furniture scattered across it, which isn't exactly a luxurious view.

Luckily, my room was fairly clean and nicely presented, however I couldn't say the same for the rest of the hotel. Up until I got to my room, the vast majority of the rooms I walked past STANK of weed.

Smell of weed in the corridor Holes in the door Stains in the bath

The beds were clean and there was water to brush my teeth in the morning All I could ask for

Everything about this place. First there was a drug needle on car park on the only spare parking space. The room was on the ground floor Room102 looking out onto rubbish and some dirty bins, Window frames were falling out. Window blind was filthy and didn't work. Bathroom was mouldy and bath and sink were dirty. Bed had more faulty springs than we have ever slept on. THE WORST WAS NO HEATING. We complained and after 5 hours they brought a small plug in radiator down that was no use whatsoever. We paid for 2 nights but only stayed one night. The man on reception was going to give us the £60 for the two nights but he could not has we had booked through you therefore we want a refund. Looking forward to your reply and our refund.

Nothing Terrible place

When my husband and sons (all over the age of 18) stayed at the hotel on the weekend of the 15/04/2018. They phoned home with massive disappointment. The trip was an Xmas present so they could go see the match and spend quality time together. They were not allowed to have a drink on the premises either of the nights they stayed. They were sent to a neighbouring beer garden. The cleaners and receptionist were the only friendly staff. The security of the rooms were very shabby and easy to get access. I do not recommend this hotel at all.

This is a really bad hotel and should never have been listed on your website. The bed had a broken spring on one side which meant that I had to sleep top to toe in bed. The room smelled of damp and stale cigarette smoke. We both felt it in our throats! The television had no picture and the wifi was non-existent. The next day we met others who had stayed in the Rams Lodge for the event we attended and they told us more bad stories of fungus growing through the carpets.

The bed linen was clean and the water was hot.

the bed was very comfortable, the interior and exterior was needing updating and the room smelt very badly of damp or some other off putting smell although room was clean the smell put me off and left me feeling let down for same price i staying in other hotels and had much nicer experience

Room facilities were very poor, the tap came off in my hand, the shower didn’t get warm. There was a strong smell of smoke in the room. One of the beds was broken.

The price was cheap

There were no redeeming features. As soon as we pulled into the car park we could tell by the state of the hotel from the outside that things were only going to go downhill. The entrance was in a state of poor disrepair and not only ourselves but other guests were confused about where to check in, which was in a restaurant at the front of the property with a different name. The blinds in the windows were dirty and broken. We felt uncomfortable when entering the restaurant to check in as the staff, other than one girl, were not at all welcoming. Surprising given that they had already taken the payment from my account. Interestingly the name of the hotel on the invoice is completely different. We were directed to our room on the second floor. The corridors and room doors were not particularly inviting, needed painting or at least wiping. When we entered our room we were shocked and dismayed by the state of it. It was completely outdated. This in itself was not a problem. However, it was not at all clean. The curtains were grubby. We did not use the kettle or mugs because they were also grubby and stuck to the dirty table. The windows did not shut properly and were dirty. The lamp shade on the bedside table was stained, possibly with blood. On further inspection the mattress was absolutely disgusting with bodily fluid stains on it both sides and the springs were almost popping through. The bin was cracked and broken. The whole place was filthy and not fit for purpose. I actually have no idea why we stayed the night. I did try to book another local hotel but it was fully booked. So we slept fully clothed on top of the sheets without our heads touching the pillows and with one eye open as the hotel did not appear to be in a very safe area. Needless to say we checked out very early. We did not shower as we were scared of catching something. I have never before cleaned my teeth and they have felt dirtier.

Unfortunately it was hard to find anything to like about this establishment. I did try. If I had persisted then I would still be looking.

No hot water at 11.30am in morn. One bed was unsleepable. Other bed was fine lucky it was just me. Not that clean to be honest. Needs a massive refurb

Location, tv, tea and coffee, price. Was fine for what i needed

The car park was full because of live music in the restaurant connected to hotel so parking is not guaranteed

It’s clean handy to get all over the area from staff were lovely

The hotel was difficult to find as it’s tucked away behind a restaurant and not easy to get to from the main road. The room itself was very poor - dirty, smelt of smoke, the shower didn’t work, the tv didn’t work and the door barely locked - it was just generally disguising. I know it was a cheap price, but I would not recommend staying in this hotel at all, I didn’t feel safe.

The hotel pre-booked a taxi to the airport for us, which arrived on time and worked well.

Do not be fooled by the pictures this does not indicate how bad the hotel is. For a start there was stains on the bed sheets The carpets were filthy my feet were black by the time i wanted to put my socks and shoes on!!!! The shower water came it so slow it was impossible to have a shower. The springs on mattress dug in to you and made such loud noises everytime you you moved The telly was even attached to the tv stand which is was resting on and some didn't even have a stand !!

The only good points I can honestly make about hotels is: The didn't care about what time we checked out. The staff didn't comment or moan the a couple of friends came in colour room before we left to go out. Let us cancel the room without charge.

Big damp smell through the corridors and the rooms were made up of a mixture of light fittings, bed equipment etc. Not a fault of the hotel but very noisy when people were returning at 4am then 5am having big arguments outside the inside.

Comfortable beds and very helpful staff

We do not feel welcomed. We waited behind the staffs for 18 minutes until one staff who pulled a serious face to us started to arrange for the check-in.

Room very tired. Stayed during cold period and not very warm as poorly designed and radiator small (though always on).

Helpful staff. Good location for very plentiful buses into Manchester every few minutes. Reasonable value and decent sized room. Told restaurant good (seemed popular among community). Kept heating on all time and plentiful hot water.

I have stayed here before and the property has been improved and improvements are continuing at present.

Staff were helpful. I arrived from an early flight and the one lady on duty allowed me to leave my luggage in a secure place until reception opened. I later extended my stay .

The smell of ammonia, the fact you couldn't lock the door when in the room. Being bitten by I assume fleas as I'm covered in bites.

How close it was to town

The rooms smelt foisty, old, and like sweat. It was constantly cold with little to no heating. 1 room was barely stayable at best and we diddnt bother going into the other one.

You couldn't begin to imagine how bad this hotel is! The décor is extremely shabby which could be forgiven for the price but it was filthy!!! We couldn't use the drawers or shelves for our clothes because they were so bad and as for the bathroom, well, there were no plugs in the sink or bath and even if there were we wouldn't have used them and we couldn't face using the shower. The real concern however was the potential fire risk - polystyrine tiles on the ceilings, no fire escape rules on the back of the door, no phones in the room. Whilst it purports to be non smoking we found a dog end behind the chest of drawers together with food wrappers and stale biscuits. I needed cheap accommodation in Manchester and I booked before checking the reviews and I couldn't afford to walk away - Please, please think carefully before booking, I'm really not exaggerating. ps I have got phots to support what I've written but I don't know how to upload them.

Light is not working in the toilet. Beside lights not working and actually broken and fallen off. Carpet was dirty, duvet and pillow cases not clean, mattress not comfy at all. Shower tap broken

Easy check in and out

The place should be a hostel, and not a hotel. No heating in the bathroom. TV very small, only a few channels. The bed was too narrow for two people. Only two electrical sockets in the room, so if you want to watch TV and have heating (electrical radiator) you cannot charge your mobile phone etc.

Very noisy with people shouting until 5am and dragging furniture across the floor In desperate need of an upgrade. Hairs in the bath and really in need of regrouting and painting. The room smelled like someone had been smoking in there For the price, it was ok

Free wifi Cheap and close to where I needed to be

The mattress was dreadful, we could feel the springs to the point that it was painful. I had to lie on top of the duvet to alleviate the discomfort.

Close proximity to Didsbury

Everything I’m sorry to sah

The hotel itself was not clean the bed won’t good the sheets were filthy it was so cold during all the period off time I called and spoke to the reception guy and complaint about he heating and it was still xold

You get what you pay for, and we didn’t pay much! The mattress was very saggy and uncomfortable. The pillows limp. The curtains were hanging off the track. The whole building looks rundown and feels like it hasn’t been touched since the 1970s. The smell in the downstairs corridor upon arrival made me choke. The TV didn’t work. Woken several times by the noise in the corridor outside room.

Cheapest room available when stuck in Manchester due to the snow. Room was warm, cheap and clean. We spent the night in the warm instead of being sat in the snow on the M62 so I very much liked that. Ensuite Bathroom was clean. Coffee cups & kettle clean.

The property could do with a little more maintenance...

Pleasant surprise as the ratings on booking.com were quite poor. Even the taxi driver called the hotel "shed". The reception is in nearby restaurant where hotel guests get 30% discounts. Friendly waitress checked me in in no time.

Lights didn't work, shower didn't work, carpets were disgusting, smelled of smoke and evidence of smoking in room not cleaned up, doors didn't close properly, lumpy beds, holes in wall, chewing gum on wall, generally pretty grim!

The price, the TV in one of our two rooms but not in the other! (One huge, one minuscule)

Everything could do with updating not just a decent lick of paint,the beds weren't the same they were awful, pillows were lumpy dressing table looked like it was out of a skip nothing to wash with just a miniature bar of cheap soap overall it was awful 😫😫😫

There was tea bag stains on the walls, cobwebs everywhere and we had a spider in two of the corners. Plus our shower fell apart there was a teabag in the sink from the last guest. I wouldn't stay again it was vile.

I wouldn't stay here with family or children.

This hotel was fit for purpose, a cheap room for a grotty night out in manny. It seemed that the other hotel guests had the same idea. The rooms were clean enough, all bedding and towels were clean.

The bedrooms need upgrading, I understand there is new management and this will be carried out. This may have been reflected in price

The Restaurant and Bar area was great. The food was also great. Impressed The bedroom was pleasantly 'warm' Bedrooms away from road noise

The place looked like it was falling a part, the rooms were dirty could not have a bath or shower and the bed was like a brick. This was a horrible place to stay. People were hammering on the main door at all hours. I slept in my cloths as I didn’t want to touch the bed sheets.

There was nothing to like about the place.

I don't mind outdated decor, curtains not matching and being basic etc but what I can't stand it filth! It was so dirty and disgusting, stunk of cigarettes, bathroom not been cleaned.. I wouldn't even pay to let my dog stay there.. Worse place I have ever seen.

The place was filthy curtains ripped wallpaper coming off noisy neighbours police we're called because of people in the next room food on the stairs not cleaned up the place is nothing like the photos on their site.

The bed was comfortable.

Shower didn’t work.Room stunk of cigarette smoke.Mattress was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on or in this case no sleep,you could feel every spring.Noisey . In all the hotel from hell, avoid at all costs.

The room isn’t of standard. Toilet and shower tub was really really dirty. And light wasn’t working in toilet. Need a bit of dusting in the room shelves.

Only The Receptionist was very helpful and good customer service

The place was an absolute dive. The bathroom was covered in black mold. The carpets were stained, and had what appeared to have vomit stains on them. The curtains hardly met in the middle and were absolutely filthy. The doors looked like they had been forced open and were chipped and tatty. The beds were uncomfortable, and looked like they had not been changed from the previous occupants. Rubbish bins were not emptied throughout a 4 night stay, beds not made etc.

Cold room, heating not working properly, toilet doesnt flush properly, poorly maintained, and flaking bath painted in what looks like wall paint. When we entered we were welcomed to an heated argument between guest and hotel owner.

Erm everything! They charged my credit card before i got there (i informed them i wasnt ariving till after6) when i intended to pay cash! Booking.com says pay on arrival! A lot of the stuff i didnt like was just cosmetic which you would expect for a hotel as cheap as this, however only 1 powerpoint in room, blinds broken, dirty, bathroom was grotty, no phone to contact reception (i wasnt going to reception in a bar wearing pjs) the bed was the shocker tho, it was broken admittidly it didnt look broken till i laid down and it was uneven, my head was lower down than my body. I could go on... I would never stay here again, the hotel asked for my review and havent tried to contact me, they dont care! Pay the extra tenner, go somewhere else

I parked, the front/reception bar are looked quite fancy, water was hot

I paid for 2 night for a twin room so it supposed to be tow single bed . when get there I just given a room with a double bed . A very cold room no heating and dirty shower . TV not working !!don't go there . the owner is very rude !

Browse The Rams Lodge traveller photo gallery