Reviews of ibis budget Birmingham Centre 2 stars

Great Colmore Street, Birmingham, B15 2AP, United Kingdom

#49 of 78 hotels in Birmingham

excellent staff, good location, good value for money. rooms basic but perfect to sleep. had a good holiday and nothing went wrong, which is unusual! very central, going down great colmore street and behind the hotel seemed like a bad idea on street view because it was back streets and houses.. so we avoided, we did walk down both kent road and came back 3am on wrentham road, also walked to hotel on a38. had no problems and a very good night out!!

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Would have liked a kettle in the room - but it is only a budget a hotel

It's a comfortable, cheap, budget hotel. No kettle in the room but there was a good shower cubicle, sink and toilet - and towels with complimentary soap. TV worked well (although there were limited channels). Staff were very helpful even though I arrived after midnight. Downstairs, although I did not use the facilities there were vending machines and comfortable seating where people were using the wif-fi. And it was 10 minutes walk to New Street Station which was great. Overall, would definitely stay there again and would recommend.

Arrived at 10pm only to see the last parking space double parked in, told by staff to park on the verge which I did. This resulted in my car getting keyed overnight and for £7 parking it was ridiculous. Security on shift were loud and rude, wanted to get my head down for a sleep and couldn’t because the inhabitants of the four surrounding rooms were running the corridors making noise all night till they went out from 12-3am and then came back whooping and hollering, waking me up... they continued to shout up and down the hallways at 6am and so little sleep was had. Staff didn’t seem to care, I ended up exhausted for my three hour travel back home the next day.

Leaving.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

The only thing that I would change would be a shower that opens into a bathroom space rather than into the bedroom itself, as this is uncomfortable when travelling with friends. Otherwise I really liked this hotel.

The beds were very comfortable and the room although not very spacious, had all that we needed. The location is very central and close to the main sites. It's very clean. Staff are very efficient and helpful.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

The breakfast could be a little more reach but otherwise adequate for a non-demanding customer.

The cleeniless ,willingness of the staff to help, the proximity to the city center,all combine made our stay, good value for money.

A bit out of town but not too far Small rooms but was expected

Great staff Clean Cheap Let us leave our bags in lockers after we had checked out Just as pictured Cool common area with game table and lounge chairs and very relaxed environment

Well, maybe towels should be cleaner.

Walking distance from the heart of the city. The staff is super nice and friendly. Breakfast that costs less than 6 Pounds is OK. This is exactly what I expected from a budget hotel. Nothing extraordinary, but decent.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Continental breakfast is great if you're not obsessed with bacon and eggs. Toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit and coffee will do. Foam for a mattress. No kettle. No shower gels, just a small bar of soap.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Housekeepers ignored the no entry sign on the door, and came into the room. The sign is there for a reason.

Location was good, and hotel was basic, but comfortable.

• Standard Triple Room

The temperature of the room we stayed in was too hot, none of us got any sleep for the two nights we stayed. Rooms definitely need air conditioning.

Everything we could have needed was in the rooms or down stairs in reception, due to the heat of our room the staff went out of their way to help by providing a fan.

Although a Budget hotel I was expecting a little more i suppose. The bed was a metal frame, mattress was comfy enough although only one pillow each wasn't particularly comfortable as we usually have 2. Thought at least a Kettle and tea/ coffee making facilities would be included, sadly not. However, it is budget.

Parking was convenient and private. Checking in was quick and easy. The man on reception was nice and helpful. Prices for drinks etc in the vending machines was reasonable for a hotel. Nice play area in the foyer for kids if you take any. Close to the O2 Academy ,which is where we were going on the evening. Late checkout 12pm was good also.

My room card timed out on my second night which isn't a big issue but it just meant I had to go back downstairs to reception to sort that out but apart from that I had no other issues.

You just know what you are getting with an IBIS. Clean and tidy and not in a bad location. Bed was comfortable enough and room was large enough for myself as I was travelling alone. I was just using this a base as I study at University of Birmingham so the IBIS has everything I needed and I have booked for the week of my exam and look forward to my stay again. Room rates are very reasonable and WIFI spot on in the room and it worked.

Foam mattress wasn't that comfortable, room was way too hot, can't open windows wide and air system only really hears. TV kept turning itself on at random intervals during the night. When returning to room on a night you had to provide proof you were a guest, that was OK but door staff weren't exactly friendly, if I book a room I don't really want to be interogated to go to my room, maybe think of a better way?

Was more like a hostel lobby was pretty busy with guests and had music playing, for the price I think it was pretty good, you could buy drinks and snacks in lobby, could pay for a continental breakfast too. Room was basic but clean, shower was amazing, had 2 disposable cups for water and tiny bar of soap. I've paid more and stayed in places not as good. Pretty good value for money.

• Standard Triple Room

There were a large group of teenagers booked in that evening, and a few families with young kids. We were kept awake until at least 3.15am by young kids running about, above us and opposite our room. They were all then up again just after 6am, so as you can imagine we were all absolutely shattered on Sunday morning.

Emma and the rest of staff were all lovely, and very helpful. The hotel is what you would expect for £60 per night. Location is good, as it's only about 15 minutes walk to the Arcadia Centre, and the Bull Ring Shopping Centre.

We stayed in room 18 disabled room, shower rail was unsafe and fell apart as u even touched it, the wood between the two beds looked like someone had tried to hack it off and then shoved back, hotel is cheap and cheerful.

Great location for gay village and 02, staff was helpful and friendly. It's what you pay for really.

Someone had clearly been sick at some point in the corner of room 253, on the right hand side of the bed next to the shower, made sleep very difficult, it was a miracle I wasn’t sick with the smell.

Good location, good value for money.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

I found the bed and pillows uncomfortable. The room was very hot and the air cooling unit did nothing to help, had to leave the window open all night which was loud due to traffic. The shower being in the bedroom rather than in its own bathroom was odd!

Basic room as expected but it had what we needed for a one night stay. Had a student accommodation feel with a shared social area to hang out in. Staff were friendly, even though not all could understand our Scottish accent!

• Standard Triple Room

Had to make the top bunk my self and the from smelt of sweat. The door card was not changed from the previous people and still had that they done “bow chicka wowow” on it which wasn’t nice to know that they had done that in the bed 😁

Was clean staff were friendly

I know it was a budget hotel but I still would of liked a kettle in the room

Close to everything, most of the time I walked into the center it’s only a 10-15 minute walk.

Nothing could of been better was a very nice hotel loved my stay.

Nice hotel. staff very helpful and polite.breakfast was nice and lovely relaxing eating area.

• Standard Triple Room

Great security so felt very safe, was an amazing location to go see Camila Cabello at o2 academy, about a 4 min walk from the academy and room was nice and clean

Staff is young, vibrant, most helpful and pleasant. In the morning, they provided gluten free corn flakes and bread as requested the night before, nothing was an effort. The breakfast offering is simple but adequate and suited me perfectly. I would stay there again. Just next to the O2 so quite a good location too.

I stayed last year which was great this year I had a road facing room and found it too noisy and did not get much sleep. Also my key card did not work and on the 3rd attempt of going up and downstairs at 11.45pm I managed to get it to work!

Good location and clean

The location is perfect . Went to watch a band at the academy it’s just in the next street. Hotel basic but very clean got everything you need for a short stay.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Very heavy night door staff meet us at the hotel when we arrived back after being out in Birmingham City Centre. Did not really give us a chance to enter the lobby before demanding to see our room keys. Not in a very polite or welcoming way. Rooms were very tiny and too compact.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

No drink facilities in room,got charged £1.50 for hot water to make tea,as I have decaf tea. No where to store clothes,so had to keep in backpack for 5 days. Room not really big enough for wheelchair... Couldn't get round beds or anything in chair. Had to walk round.

Breakfast was nice and staff were helpful.wet room was good.bed was comfortable but not a single,2ft"6.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

The fact that I had a no entry sign on the door, which was ignored by housekeeping. The sign is there for a reason.

The room was very basic, but clean, separate shower and toilet within the room. double bed below, and sinle above. brek was good too.

• Standard Triple Room

I would have liked manual control of the air conditioning.

The rooms here were functional as somewhere to sleep for the nights of the UK Games Expo. For the price, this was what we needed. We were so happy with this setup that we have booked again with Ibis Budget for next year.

Very warm in room but it was a hot muggy weekend.

Staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble and they made me and my dog (Betty the greyhound) feel well looked after. Room was comfortable, clean and had all I required for an overnight stay.

Even triple room is not enough for 2 people and no fascilities were given even to preapare a tea. Only extra things they have given was a piece of Soap . .............They give Parking fascility but before the reception you have to pay £ 7 for this ......................

Only good thins was clean rooms

• Standard Triple Room

The room was the size of a wardrobe,in an hobbit's house,very budget,problems with the key cards and paying for parking

The friendly staff,and the table football game in the lobby.The room was clean.

• Standard Triple Room

The security guard opened our door at 1am in the morning very surprised that someone answered what are you doing opening our door. I complained about it but the hotel were not interested at all. Head office emailed them but not heard anything disgusting

The room had no hairdryer or ironing facilities which would have been welcome as my trip was both business and pleasure. Lack of plug sockets in the vicinity of the bed was a major disappointment as it meant plugging in my devices was awkward and difficult.

The breakfast was better than expected. The room was clean, though a little Spartan on amenities.

• Standard Triple Room

No sink in the toilet. Bed and pillows hard. Room was BOILING to the point of being massively uncomfortable. No kettle in room.

The breakfast was ok. Shower was nice

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Only 2 plug sockets in the room, under the tv. Much more useful by the bed or the mirrors for using applicances/phone charging. I asked for an earlier check in slot prior to my journey which was confirmed. Once I had arrived I was told there is no early check in, it’s as and when the rooms are ready, which wasted our morning and resulted in a waste of time arriving hours earlier.

• Standard Triple Room

Fan in room was slow to start up so first night was slightly uncomfortable heat wise.

Bed was very comfortable, and the staff were super friendly and approachable

• Standard Triple Room

Beds we’re uncomfortable. Struggled to sleep due to the heat of the room even with the window open as far as they can. Air conditioning was blowing out hot air, the room was boiling.

Good location to city centre & gay village

It was a very busy weekend so the room was not cheap. The power sockets are only on one side of the bed or on the opposite wall

Super comfy beds, very good shower, more than enough space for two. This hotel ticks all the boxes for a budget stay. You don’t need much more than that really.

no aircon, no kettle on roon,

Very close to the gay village. easy access, if you unable to find space on car park, use NCP horsefair is cheaper. the room no have aircon. you can request extra pillow if needed. staff friendly

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

This happens with every ibis budget but it’s the banging of the door in the morning and people talking in corridor. Happens every time but good value for money

Good value for money. Cheap and in city centre

• Standard Twin Room

Always prefer to have tea making facility in the room.

Hotel had everything I needed for an overnight stay. Bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. Staff were welcoming and efficient on arrival, and the hotel had a good vibe.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

The dirt between the bunk beds and no plug beside the bed. Offer toothpaste to buy. Maybe have an option to pre-buy the toiletries needed and having them in the bedroom on arrival. When you do not have much time , wasting to go buy it is not great. For the price, breakfast should be included.

Bed very comfy

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

The person who checked us in didn't seem to get that I (a woman) wanted a double bed to share with my girlfriend, instead of 2 singles. The check in process also took a long time as they couldn't find my booking initially.

Good location, bed was comfy, convenient for the city centre.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

It is a bit difficult to navigate the streets to reach it from the coach station. I ended up at the usual Ibis in the first instance.

It is as other Ibis budget hotel I discovered in Germany. Good to your wallet and well known brand.

Tea and coffee facilities

Bright cheerful welcoming comfortable easy access and secure parking all you could need for business or pleasure trip to Birmingham

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

It would benefit from having a chair to sit on and I would curb the staff's enthusiasm to change the bed linen and towels EVERY DAY! (I had to leave the 'Don't come in' sign on the door permanently in an effort to prevent this).

This was a good room to sleep in. Excellent ensuite facilities.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Would have liked to have tea and coffee facilities in the room.

Great location and great price for a short stay. It was really clean and the staff were friendly.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

On two occasions the lights over the bed didn’t work. I was told that they would be fixed but they weren’t. I would love to have had English crumpets for breakfast!

Comfortable bed.

• Standard Triple Room

We stayed for one week and our room was cleaned only once after complaining for three days in a row. One day later, again no roomservice. Staff at reception promised to get back to us within 2 days after checking out, but nobody got in touch with us. Absolutely unprofessional.

• Standard Triple Room

Location not great, and the subway horrid to walk through. Would of liked some small toiletries in the room, or a shower dispenser on the wall.

The beds were very comfortable.

There was only one pillow per person, The shower smelled very fusty and wasn't really clean. There was only one small towel per person. Room was cramped at the foot of the bed. Including a continental breakfast it cost me over £86 which is almost double what I paid two years ago in the same hotel for a Saturday in May.

The venue is great for our requirements, parking is easy, staff are on hand and friendly, there is always food and drink available, the breakfast was good for the price, much improved from previous visits.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Parking, drink / food machines all expensive

I got what I expected. You get what you pay for. Having stayed here previously. Although it had been updated not sure it was any better , also felt £7 a night parking will possibly send me elsewhere .

Alas, there are no tea and coffee facilities in the room, but reception will provide you with free hot water if you bring your own.

This is a no frills hotel that is reliably clean and comfortable with excellent access to additional services on a pay as you go basis (e.g., food and drink). You can tailor your stay to include creature comforts or just stick to the basics - perfect if you are crashing for one night. The 24-hour check in is very convenient and easy - an added bonus for business travellors.

Comfortable and well situated, it does what it says on the tin. A cheap over night stay with easy access to town, I would definitely recommend it and would stay again.

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Where do I even start ! Checked in after I waited at reception for 20 minets to be greated by a girl that diddnt smile or have any sparkle , then got into my room wow the air con machine looked as If it was falling apart got flaps were hanging open and the window wouldnt lock properly (the Handel was broken) so the room was always freezing, the staff were rude only one word answers , then they decided to paint the lift's while guest's were on that floor so all I could smell in my room was paint it was foul , won't be staying here again , worst £50 ever spent , is I was the big boss's at ibis I would or pulled out of there

The smoking area and that they sell food(massively exstorted) must be the only good points about this hotel

The Lift and the fact that no shower gel in the bathroom.

The lift looked a bit dodgy-looking and not too clean, no shower gel in the bathroom. I guess it has to be about the price.

More notice about the parking charges.....which I missed when booking. But given the very competitive price of the room, I didn't mind too much.

Compact but perfectly acceptable. Also very clean, great for the price.

Breakfast was not bad

Nothing hot water shower water could not get water hot to be control the keys did not work booked one tripple room but got one double bed and one small bunk bed on top was not what was advise on site we all are middle age ladies had to pay a nother £30 odd popnd to get change of bed for 3 people no inpress had to keep walking up and down to get key change all the time wasting my time to get into Rooms will not stay at the Ibiz. Disopointed.

• Standard Twin Room

Couldn’t of been helped , but I’m petrified of spiders and there was a spider in the bathroom and when we got back on the evening it was above my bed , so I was very scared but had to kill it , apart from that there was nothing wrong :)

Bed was so comfy , was best night sleep I’ve had!

Was an ok hotel, I know it is a budget hotel but no ketal hair or hair dryer.... was a bit disappointed had to go and buy hair dryer. Staff were okay and friendly but you walk past them and they would ignore you not even a “good morning sir”

Good value for money...........

• Standard Triple Room (2 Adults)

Room and beds were quite small but it was just somewhere to crash for a night.

What I expected for the price - was staying as I attending a concert at the 02 acedemy - literally a 2 minute walk away

• Standard Triple Room

Breakfast was a little disappoing was expecting a cook food

The location of this hotel is perfect walk to the main bar and street . The staff was so friendly and helpful , for what we paid for the room it was great value for money and would highly recommend staying there .

There was no Kettle !!!! No tea, No Milk, After travelling for 3 hours I just wanted to go to my room and make a cup of tea, but there was no kettle !!!!

THe Shower

• Standard Triple Room

I didn’t like that my room had a bad eggy smell from the shower ( my friend rooms were fine). I was changed rooms quickly with a helpful member straight away, but my key never worked I had to keep going back down 4 floors too sort it. A member of staff made out it was me and I couldn’t use my key properly when a vary of friends tried too. More than 10 times back and forth to sort it. I wasn’t best pleased about this. Also for improvement in future I’d have loved a mirror near plug sockets as I couldn’t see how I was curling my hair for a works event that evening.

I liked how quick and easy it was to check in and the staff member was helpful. The bed was comfy and the rooms were clean. Pizza is good.

• Standard Triple Room

Perhaps more variety of food in the fridges??

Staff were super,available parking, great value for money,facilities downstairs(microwave etc) very essential

Room was very basic, not much space for luggage, breakfast was rather poor, some toasts and ham and cheese, yogurt and musli.

Location was convinient for walking to city centre and to take bus to university of birmingham.

Rooms are quite hot if the weather outside is hot! air con didn’t work, rooms by the road were noisy with window open

Good location, easy walk to town and the area which we needed! Very clean! Continental breakfast. Good value for money for what you get! Car park out the back.

• Standard Triple Room

for 3 ladies sharing ( not on a hen ) the accommodation is below standard!! A standard triple room to me when I looked at it first was a double bed & a set of bunk beds not a bunk up on top of the double bed. The "bathroom Facilities" are an absolute joke .. I know it was only E126 but that was still 42 per person

not a lot

Breakfast could have more variety but still good food. No separate space to get undressed for shower. Not great when you're sharing with mother in law

Staff were friendly and rooms were decent. Modern and up to date

• Standard Triple Room

Rooms were very small compared to picture online more like a cell with aeroplane style toilet and shower there was no actual bathroom, the furniture and decor had some wear and tear also parking was expensive when other ibis offer free parking, very basic and expensive for what it was,wouldn't stay in this particular ibis again

Room was comfortable and clean

Some of the guests was a bit noisy. Water was either too hot or too cold in the shower,there wasnt an in between. Other then that great place to stay

Room was a perfect size for a few nights stay. Spacious enough for what i needed. Room was clean when i entered the room. Cant complain about the price.

locking system at the room 147 was not working. I was missing the staff tendency to get it repaired. Any time the room card had to be activated to open the room door, and more times I had to ask the staff for help.

The staff were really friendly and very helpful, with good advice about where to go for dinner. I could also keep my bags at the hotel free of charge for the whole day after I had checked out.

Friendly staff. Encountered a man who had something either wrong with his room or had been broken into and was being very loud and aggressive towards the manger. Couldn’t help but feel sorry for the management but they was dealing with it in a very polite and understanding way

I can't make any complaints because it was so cheap

Very cheap and comfortable for the cost you could not fault it. Close to the railway station which is what I needed because I had to catch an early morning train. The the room was clean and quiet and I would stay there again.

Browse ibis budget Birmingham Centre traveller photo gallery