Reviews of Clapham South Belvedere Hotel 2 stars

#891 of 977 hotels in London

5.7

3.5

• Basic Double Room

We had a small en-suite double room with a view onto a corridor but as we were only staying one night it did not matter. Would stay at this hotel again

The only window of the room looked into a hotel store. See pics. No natural light. Staff working in this store. I have my doubts how legal this is. Yes facilities had one cup and two saucers for both days. Two teabags for two days for two of us enough for just one of us. Left luggage was charged at £3 per luggage for a few hours! We paid £218 for two nights for this rubbish! Awful!

the size of the room.

breakfast ok. rooms are very small so is the bed you can touch from one wall to the other.saying that the location is very good and bed is comfortable staff friendly .i will stay again if in london on abreak

A toilet brush, a bit more room...the hallway carpets and banister paintwork are very shabby.

Very clean room, clean bedding and towels each day, although very small and very basic: lino on floor, small shelf as dressing table and small shelf with four hangers as the wardrobe. It's fine for a few days if you really just want somewhere to sleep.

Room was a little pokey and, being just above reception, was aware of canned music. Cheeky charging extra for WiFi (£4)

Generous continental breakfast for £5

Hotel was terrible, room was tiny, we had our own bathroom but it wasn’t in the room!! Couldn’t leave our stuff in the bathroom as had no lock. The room was a sweat box at night when we tried to sleep, but gut hardly any sleep as we were so hot!! No breakfast or free WiFi. Just awful!!!

• Basic Double Room

The room was tiny you get a bed and a shower no space we had one window when we looked out the window and our window over looked the hotel store cubborad all we could see was pillows and shelf’s the shower didn’t work only ran cold water the tv didn’t work we would never stay again and wouldn’t recommend any one to stay here

• Basic Single Room

I am a regular user of the Euro Group because they offer you value for your money. It suits my purpose and there are lots of pubs and restaurants and even 3 supermarkets close by. Also the tube and bus route on your doorstep.

Room maintenance very poor. Staff interaction with customers feels very rude and condescending. Unhelpful and vague with an unwillingness to resolve and issues.

Affordable and comfy enough for a decent night sleep.

• Basic Single Room

There was a lot on noise in my room and I they had to change my room three times due to maintenance. Every noisy, didn’t get a good night sleep

Staff was understanding and chanced my room, due to noise.

• Quadruple Room

We have stayed many times I have no complaints at all about the hotel.

The location is good for us with plenty amenities nearby. Great links to London with the northern line. Is constantly being upgraded and looking great. Great value for money and we will definitely be back. My Dad's mobility is not great but with lift access he had a great time with no issues.

Choice of cereals, I like muesli (not available)

King size bed ,excellent en-suite, good size ground floor room faced the common, double glazed and quiet despite the traffic, bus stop right outside, underground station about 100m away, fridge in the room, good breakfast (continental or full English).

The bathroom was clean, the rest of the room left a lot to be desired. Would it be so difficult to have curtains that cover the windows effectively, and act as blackout? If your house keeping staff have vacuum cleaners then they may need a crash course in how to use them

The name Clapham Lodge Accomodation is not prominently displayed. Room is very small.

Location is fantastic, less than 5 min walk from tube. Service staff is helpful. Lobb

• Basic Double Room

Our room was unfinished when we arrived; it had been painted that day, so paint fumes were pungent and there was no trash can, telephone, or side table. There was construction going on that began very early in the morning, and the hallway was covered with tarps and equipment.

Staff were accommodating and friendly.

• Basic Double Room

The room was tiny, it wasn’t even suitable for a single let alone a double. The room was dirty, and smelt. There was a kettle but no tea bags, milk or sugar.

The location is great. It’s the only positive thing I have to say.

• Quadruple Room

I did not like much of anything. I will describe in several points. - The ventilation of the room burned as soon as I arrived, there was no interest in putting a new one in 3 days stay. - The room for 4 people, super super small, with only a window, could not sleep in that heat. - On the ceiling of the room dripped water for the bed. - The door was closed when we got to the room in the middle of the afternoon, who handled the cleaning of the room, did not have the responsibility of closing the door, something dangerous ..." - Little interest on the part of the counter staff in trying to solve things. - The bathroom was super small too, we were 4, it took us about 1 hour and a bit to get ready to leave .. I will not book this hotel again, I was very disconsolate.

I loved last year, this year I'm full of complaints, and I will not stay in this hotel again. The only thing that keeps on good, is the location near the subway.

• Basic Double Room

Room was very small with double bed against the wall, meaning one person needed to climb over the other to get out of bed. The bathroom was very small and shower very poor. Door to bathroom would not open fully as it met end of the bed. Worst bedroom I have ever stayed in.

Our room was right next to Reception. The phone, with a particularly urgent tone, rang incessantly until 4am, so I got little sleep prior to that. The bathroom was microscopic, though usable, and not unexpected for the price. There is no storage space in the room. I would ask for a room away from Reception, though whether they are any better I would not be able to say.

Cheap hotel for London, so expectations have to be in line with what you are paying. Great location on Clapham Common.

The rooms are very small and there is no wardrobe!

I’ve been placed in a small room even though I paid for a large one. And the first night was not that pleasant. After the room was changed, the comfort was a bit better. However, I suggest that the suited rooms to have wardrobe as well. And the housekeeping staff to be a bit more quite on the corridors, since there are guests who are still sleeping!

I knew the room was small, I can live with that. But in this case Bed was small too, too short to lay flat. My length is 1.84 metres, so was the bed. Bed was between the window tile and wall, so could not have my food sticking out of the bed and window tile was too high. Not sure if I would like to have my food sticking out of the window Room was too small to pull the bed out of its corner. No cupboard.

Close to tube station and save walk from and to the station.

the bedroom was a little tight to get into. maybe needs to be redesigned. had to keep window closed due to the passage behind up

very close to the common

• Basic Double Room

The Bad thing was that the wifi was paid, which in such a big hotel is not really needed. And also the windows were not tight so the room was quite cold.

The breakfast was great. And the people were also great.The room was clean and nice.

• Basic Single Room

The room was like a cell and the bathroom was 2 floors up. It is a long time since I have stayed in a room without facilities.

The location was convenient and it was cheap!

The room was on bottom floor facing the road. Unfortunately it was too hot, needs a fan or air conditioner in the warmer weather. No free WiFi.

Good size room recently refurbished, very clean and very nice. King size bed, very comfortable. Staff very helpful.

• Basic Double Room

Bit dated. My room had leak from upstairs shower . Paint work done without care and strange smell in certain areas of hotel like grotty carpets.

Sebastian is the hardest working man ever at reception. He really keeps everything together and treats guests well. The breakfast was great. A nice selection. Would it hurt the woman making it to crack a smile? If she can crack an egg she should crack a smile. Even when I thank her. Unfortunately the Apple juice was do obviously watered down. There are many cheap juices on the market. No need for that

If had shower matt when coming out of shower would be good. And was a bit noisy as there was builder working above the room i was. So couldnt stay in bed a little bit longer.

Bed was comfy. Room was good.

On arrival after 40 hours of no sleep our room had no hot water. It did take three attempts to talking to someone at reception until we were finally moved to a good, clean room with hot water. But we were happy finally to have hot water.

• Basic Double Room

The room was tiny and the bed up against the wall.....we was told we had been up graded but room was small but we had our own bathroom.....i booked a room with a bathroom ...i finished the moon walk and checked out ....the shower was dirty and broken ...poor poor poor

The booking arrangements were a shambles - they did not answer e mails/phonecalls in advance when we were wanting to confirm. They had double booked so some were given a room which was called a superior room but they were on a sofabed There was NO free wifi ( that is expected these days). The skink was not working properly in the room.

The staff on the front desk were really helpful and friendly. The hotel was perfect location for the MoonWalk.

No one at reception on arrival and the room looked nothing like the website images Which made sense, because why would you want to show a tired and shabby carpet, broken floor tiles and grubby bed bases??

The beds were comfortable and the location was ideal.

• Basic Double Room

Tiny room, minimalistic... no glasses in the room, no cupboards or space for luggage. Had to pay for WiFi and storing of luggage. Could only book in at 3pm. No hot water for 24 hours and really low water pressure. Hot breakfast was greasy and poorly served.

Location was excellent for London

The reception staff were not very organised! Considering there was a big event on it appeared not enough staff were available

The hotel room was very small & basic.

The very strong smell of paint and the size of room was like a broom cupboard.

The location, we needed to be in the park at night and the hotel was opposite.

• Basic Single Room

The damp in the room the fact reception did not liaise with housekeeping as they kept knocking when I was trying to sleep Shower ceiling covered in damp Bed mattress under sheets was horrible television did not work and their was no free ei fi as sold via booking.com very disappointing

• Basic Double Room

Room was terrible, without a windows outside, just with one window to reception!!!!bathroom was a nightmare, shower didn't work propertly and a size of bathroom was so small, that you cant even move there :)

Staff was really friendly and polite.

Lack of attention by the staff. Asked for more milk and tea bags and was told nothing would be available until 7am in the morning. This was early evening...!!!

Good l8carion.

• Basic Double Room

We booked a basic room and to say it was basic wow there wasn’t enough room to swing a cat. Literally a bed and a bathroom. Tv was temperamental. Bed was tiny I could touch the wall with my feet & im 5’7.

Great location. Very friendly staff. Quick check in and out. 24 hour reception. Nice clean bathroom.

Breakfast staff not particularly friendly, full English breakfast put in front of me when I had just started my cereal.

Clean, bright and pleasant hotel, nice and helpful reception staff.

Rooms were tiny, they aren’t even a single never mind using them as doubles ! The bathroom was so small you could only just sit on the toilet!

Close to where we wanted to stay

• Quadruple Room

Our room was very tired and grubby. The floor was at a slant which was quite weird. For 4 people, 2 adults, a 17 year old and 6 year old the "Family room" was very small. For what I paid for 2 nights I did expect a little better not looking for the Ritz but a little better all round would have made a huge difference. Staff were not very engaging. The outside area looked lovely but it was clear they did not want you to use it.

The location made it very easy to travel into the city.

• Basic Double Room

Small as hell. The bed was majority of the room. Maybe 8 inches of walk room. Room gets hot real quick. No mini refrigerator or microwave. No ventilation in the bathroom causing the whole room to get extremely sticky. You have to pay 4gbp every 24 hours for Wi-Fi.

Rooms are modern, 15 mins to dowtown.

• Basic Double Room

Maintenance with the shower room,balcony door,door to the bathroom,wet carpert in the room next to the bathroom,broken rail for the towels.At least this things should be mended.

Good price for location and staying over night.

• Basic Double Room

Had to change rooms as initially got a room close to the very noisy lift. The new room had no ventilation in the bathroom which had a bad smell. The place was clean but the walls were so thin I could here the person in the next room snoring

Bed ok

The building is a little older and our toilet broke a couple times but its comfortable enough for the price. Have to pay for wifi though and the staff seem pretty unhappy.

Great location with Clapham Common right across the road with a 5 min walk to the Tube station. Lots of good restaurants and bars close by. Coffee and tea supplies are good.

PS: Euro Lodge and Euro Hotel are 50m apart and distinct. A different story that they will unilaterally offload you (despite booking two months in advance and cutting Day 1 rent a week in advance) from the former to the latter citing "no rooms available", as if you were walking in with requests for last minute accommodation! Like they did with me. And beware, the latter has no lift & neither has AC (different specs at different places on this site too, the hotel blamed the site for it). The staff are polite but unable to do much- "helped" me by allowing me to lug around my 3 suitcases after a 12 hour flight to the top floor (room pic below is beaten perhaps only by Harry Potter's place under the cupboard!) and then down to a slightly larger basement room when I objected....but all in the place I hadn't booked in the first place! Now I know one reason why Shakespeare chose the title "Comedy of Errors", but he never had to lug around his baggage!! No amenities whatsoever, with even the breakfast at the Lodge and not the Hotel. So never bothered, since Cosco was just next to the station. All in all it's a cramped little place with narrow half-width stairs but the location is super.

Location is super, just five minutes from Clapham South tube station and about 20 minutes by train from the centre and most spots. The bed and sleep quality in the room were great and despite being the road side, want noisy at all.

It was small, bathroom was poor, staff mediocre and when I had to call them in the morning to turn the music down they really weren’t my best friends. Would I stay again? It was cheap and nothing got stolen, so it beats a hostel...

It was cheap

• Basic Double Room

One of the rooms I booked for my friend had a strong paint smell that made her feel ill overnight. I struggled to breathe in it when I visited her. She had already been moved from another room with a broken toilet. Room was boiling hot, very noisy. One of my family who stayed in a single room was told at the desk that he was sharing a bathroom! Horrified- looked at booking form and no mention of a shared bathroom. He was moved to an en-suite due to a “cancellation”. Receptionist made out that he did it especially for him and to not tell the manager. It’s like he wanted gratification. Key card continuously needed re-setting for all of my family/friends. Annoying when you have run the London marathon and had to keep walking painfully to the desk to sort out your key card. Internet was so expensive! £8.50 for 24 hours. No signal in room without it.

Slept well. Bed was comfy.

The room was far too warm and with a window that opened into the store cupboard there was no way to get air in. Wi-Fi was very expensive.

Overall the hotel is great value for money. Excellent location and very clean. Staff were very friendly.

• Basic Double Room

The only downfall we found was the road noise from outside our room. Our friends stayed above the courtyard and had no noise - so I would recommend asking for a courtyard room.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.

• Basic Double Room

The room was on the small side which with two large windows (only one opened) and a half glazed door, with no air conditioning at all it was very very hot. Didn't feel it was safe to leave the door open either.

Very comfy bed

• Quadruple Room

We ordered Continental and English breakfast which were both up to our desire. We had a kettle and coffee/tea in our room which was perfect. Euro Lodge is close to restaurants and also to the underground which was very convenient. Will definitely make use of this hotel again.

• Basic Double Room

no internet facilities was provided for long stay. neither a jug/bottle of water was provided for new guests in the room.

cleanliness and comfort.

• Basic Double Room

We had to reset the keycard daily, which was slightly annoying. And the room wasn't as soundproof as hoped, you could hear people in the hallway too well.

Staff was nice and helpful. And the location was nice, easy access to places to eat and transport. Also very nice with the park nearby.

bathroom toilet flush not working properly in the beginning, but got fixed pretty fast after we reported it.

The convenient location to the tube station and the peaceful surroundings.

Rooms a bit on the small side but since they are only used for sleeping in and not staying in all day they were very adequate.

everything was very good and you had the choice of continental or english breakfast. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Shower was really good with good water pressure so could have a decent wash. beds were very comfortable. Tube was 3 minutes away and buses stopped outside the hotel. Would highly recommend.

Room was so small the bed could barely fit. On a main road with lots of noise. The bed was so small and uncomfortable. The floors creak when you move around. The key card would not work properly. The staff were rude. Very overpriced for what it is. The whole building seemed to be in bad condition. Probably shouldn't be operating.

Nothing to like about this place.

Most of personnal could spend more effort on being friendly. East european background? It can be noisy when other guests do not respect living together with other guests in a hotel Breakfast is +/- : enough, but poor quality coffee and "juice" both from a machine

Good price - quality for London . Conveniant location to underground station in zone 2. The rooms are small but clean. Renovated bath room and windows

• Basic Single Room

I didn't like the room too small and didn't even have the bathroom inside! For the price I paid really unadvisable structure !!

I liked the breakfast very abundant and the stuff very helpful.

• Basic Double Room

Very small but adequate room. Disturbed by noisy guests through window on to corridor. £4 for Wi-Fi.

A great rate for an excellent location. Helpful staff. Clean.

The rooms and facilities

The lobby was neat but the rooms are tiny and there’s no enough space for the four of us.We didn’t have a place to keep and hang our clothes. And loads of stairs to take, though they have lift to use.

• Basic Double Room

Scabby to the point there’s not even doors on the furniture . Horrible . I can’t think of anybody who’d like to live like that . For that money you get much better rooms in london and much more central . It’s a fail

No heating in first room, phoned reception, they sent someone up. They couldn’t fix it and said they would change our room. We waited an hour no one came up again or phoned. We phoned them they said we must come back to reception and they will change our room. Our new room bathroom was incredibly small. Shower water didn’t drain and wet damp bathroom door. We normally love our rooms just not a great room this time. I will still go back though and check room first

They have renovated outside and lounge looks lovely

• Basic Double Room

Heating didn't work TV didn't work - no signal No phone signal in room Breakfast was awful, unclean cutlery, dishes Staff whilst friendly, not very helpful

It was a great location. The hotel was clean and the bed was comfy. The room had everything you could need. Shower and clean towels. Hairdryer was a bonus. There was a choice of continental or English Breakfast with unlimited hot and cold drinks.

After finding that the hotel room we had booked seemed allot smaller then what we had planned, specially when we had payed extra for an upgrade. Apon entering the room, we found allot of dust and allot of dirt over the entire room, when going to the front desk to confront the staff member about what we had found. The best he could do was give us complimentary continental breakfast, this was after I explained my partner suffers from terrible asthma and struggles to sleep in dirty, unclean rooms.

The staff were welcoming on arrival and when leaving the hotel during check out.

• Basic Double Room

On the first night of our stat someone smoked in his/her room and the fire alarm woke us up because of it. It weren't so happy, as it wasn't our fault. I suppose other quest, who stayed on the same floor, had the same opinion as we. The walls are very thin, everything is heard from the other rooms.

The room was tidy and comfortable. The tube station was very close and it is so convenient if you have to travell so much.

• Basic Double Room

I could hear the heavy footsteps of the guests staying in the room above. Dining room chairs a little dated

Friendly staff, clean room, warm and great location.

• Basic Double Room

dodgy area & v noisy because of traffic. Room shook when cars turned into side road outside my room. The price I paid on booking.com was £10 cheaper the following day but my booking was not cancellable so I was even more unhappy to pay more than I needed for that experience

room was clean. Bed comfortble. Breakfast cheap.

plaster falling off the wall. Draughty window which meant had to have heater on and could hear busy traffic all night. Double bed squeezed in a small area with approx 8 ins to get into bed but metal clip on side of bed kept catching on leg very painful. Should be single room not double. No drawers to put clothes in. Asked for 6am wake up call but never got it. Thankfully we were not late for our appointment. Only had hand towels not bath towels

room cleaned daily

room very small but only 1 night so not a problem

shower was broken, expecting to be moved but maintenance came and fixed it in 10 minutes , bed comfortable and room warm and shower worked fine & water hot

There was a draft coming through our window. And although o was expecting a small room , it was exceptionally small. Had to pay per case to leave cases until check in time.

Ease of checking in and out. Pleasant staff.

• Quadruple Room

Breakfast was realy weak. Ok for woman, but for man, it was really not enough. Photos of this hotel looks amazing, but we have had room which was completly different. Room was dirty firts day. You should vacuum the room first. Bed is uncomfortable, bed clothes was dirty, oily marks, some yellow marks.. disgusting.. my boyfriend do not sleep on the bed at all. I've been sleeping on a bed near window, besides that the wall was extremly cold, it was blowin' on me all the time in the night through the window so I was freezing even all of the heaters were on 30 degrees!!! One day without electricity also.. so the heaters were not working, in bathroom there was dark so we do not see on the tip of nose... My mom were on upper floor, we couldn't couse beds were really small and also the area there was verry low so my boyfriend cannot go there. I'm really disapointed. It was the first time on booking that the photos looks different than in real. I would find another hotel and pay more if I knew that it will be horrible like this. I'm mad at myself that I do not made some photos so everybody may see how is it really looking there.

The only one thing which was good is location. Metro station is near the hotel from both side, also bus station.

no air con, very little space beside or around the bed, once i moved chair to sit, had to move it out of my way to get around as no space in the room. had changed once already after being given the highest room which looked like converted loft with angle over the bed. i checked in at 3.30 so i am sure every room could not have been taken already.

good location to tube and overlooking the common

• Basic Double Room

The room was too small there was only just enough room for the bed. The bed, bathroom and room were clean. But no natural light or ventilation. The only window opened into a corridor.

If you just want a clean bed for a night it is ok

Browse Clapham South Belvedere Hotel traveller photo gallery