Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Belfast City Queens Quarter 3 stars

106A University Street, Belfast, BT7 1HP, United Kingdom

#21 of 38 hotels in Belfast

Nice staff at reception and breakfast.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room was not cleaned properly. There was no shower gel in dispenser in Bathroom when we arrived so I opened dispenser to show it was empty and next day it was not refilled. Also there was dust on back of headboard and I wrote on dust it was still there when we checked out. Also a paper on floor when we arrived and it was wasnt removed. I didn't go around checking for dust these were things that hit my husband and I when we stayed there. Housekeeping is letting Hotel down.

Nice staff at reception and breakfast.

Its only a walk to city hall
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Wasnt really anything about the hotel i didnt like a bit of a walk to city hall but not to far

Staff very friendly hotel very clean bar stays open till 0300

Will not be going back,and expensive

See above

Very warm,no aircon so had to have window open,quite a lot of road noise. Hadn't realised that Belfast was" celebrating " the 12th July with bonfires and large parade.Fellow guests where often drunk when coming in after3am lots of noise , music playing very loud.!!!! Room was cleaned everyday to a high standard,just a great pity about large coach of unpleasant people!!!!!! Who had no regard to fellow travelers!! Also location was rather rundown area,although not to far to walk to all the attractions.

Proximity to the airport.
    • Standard Room

There was no way to cool the room during the heat wave. There was no designated parking but we found an acceptable location on the street.

Proximity to the airport.

Good budget hotel
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Had older room, no air conditioning, so had to have window open, which was at front of hotel so got all street noise. Room not clean, dust on some items. There is no facility to choose an older or newer room.

Good, position in the city, good breakfast selection.

Location and staff assistance great
    • Standard Room

Can't think of any thing

As it is warm at this time availability of cold water and ice was appreciated when asked for and a sheet rather than heavy quilt

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay without any problems at all.
    • Standard Room

Excellent customer service. Requested early check in due to early flights had no problem at all. Room was clean and very comfortable. May have benefited from having a toilet brush in bathroom though. Staff very approachable and taxi service from hotel first class with friendly drivers. Will definitely come back. Plenty of choice for buffet breakfast.

A pleasant finale to a great holiday
    • Standard Room

Scrambled eggs don't benefit from being mass produced, but plenty of other breakfast items to enjoy. The squeezy bottle soap in the bathroom seemed a good idea, but too stiff for my arthritic hands.

Staff were welcoming and helpful, room clean, comfortable and well-designed, breakfast good. Useful advice given on visiting the city

very good

Big fans maybe.

accessible to town cwntre. maybe you should think of installing air confition in times of hot weather. The fan was to small to acvomidate Two persons...

Ideal for a short stay.
    • Standard Room

Booked a double room but got a twin room, no double room available when we checked in.

A quiet area, only a short walk to restaurants. A good choice available for self service breakfast. Nice staff.

Nice stay
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Short staffed during night and so I had to go downstairs at the reception to collect toiletries. Breakfast wasn't that great. Sofa bed is a mess

Courteous staff, offered help and took extra time to make sure everything was right for my check in. Nice location especially for dining during night.

Overall it was good!
    • Standard Room

They had an issue with the WiFi when I first arrived and I had a meeting that night so couldn’t access my emails until the morning.

Location and breakfast were both good!

Very pleasant apart from the upset tummy!
    • Standard Room

Reported to desk staff at luchtime on 14/6 that I had had intestinal problems overnight and only then felt safe to leave room. I had eaten a beef curry in the bistro at the hotel the previous evening and wondered if there had been any other similar reports. Such incidents are unusual for me. Staff promised to look into it. Arriving back that evening and requesting an update I was advised that the meals were bought in and simply reheated. On checkout the following morning, I was given no further information. I suggest a more rigorous follow-up with guests on such reports, including a record of such instances and a follow up with the food supplier.

Pleasant location plus eateries nearby

Great break in Belfast

Didn't acknowledge that we were celebrating out 25th wedding anniversary

Lovely hotel, comfortable bed, very clean room . Lovely breakfast and good location

We came to belfast for the weekend to do a game of thrones...
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We came to belfast for the weekend to do a game of thrones tour, we booked this hotel which was about a 20 minute walk into the city where we had to meet for our tour, it was a lovely walk into the city with plenty of shops, restaurants and convinient stores to shop and eat at. We didnt bother getting a taxi as we had planned as the walk around the city was lovely and lots of sight seeing to do. The hotel was beautiful, we were some of the 1st guests to stay in the new refurbed part of the hotel, the room was immaculate and came with everything ud need including iron and ironing board, kettle, tea coffe and milk, hairdryer, towels, and shower and hand wash, tv and free wifi and if you had forgotten basic toiletries the hotel were happy enough to supply them for you. We had a few issues with our key card not registering when we tryed to get back into our room and we had to keep going back down to reception for them to sort it out for us, it was a little annoying that the key kept playing us up but the staff on reception were so happy to help nothing was too much bother and we had to laugh about it everytime it happened as they were probably sick of seeing us keep appearing with said card three times a day lol, breakfast was brilliant and staff were on it when it came to keepingthe retaurant clean and tidy clearing our plates and cups for us. We checked out about 11am on our last day but our flight wasnt till later that evening so the staff allowed us to locked our suitcase away in a cupboard so we didnt have to carry it around with us all day and we later collected it before making our way to the airport. Overall we had a fantastic stay and would highly reccomend this hotel! Thankyou, we will hopefully be returning again next year!

the standard of this chain was held up and the girl at the front desk was very helpful :)
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We arrived earlier than planned and the girl on the desk went out of her way to get us a room, and did, and invited us to have breakfast......first class thanks

Good all in breakfast set us up for the day Excellent...

Unsweetened soya milk please at breakfast Better map of Belfast

Good all in breakfast set us up for the day Excellent location Great food places to eat nearby Botanic Gardens really worth a visit

Not happy at all with the room rate.
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Having to pay nearly £140 . Assumed I was paying £70. At around the £140 rate, paying a little extra or for even less, you could stay at the Hilton, IBIS, Marriott etc

Rooms were basic

I only stayed one night and I found the facility very nice.
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

I only stayed one night and I found the facility very nice. The staff were helpful. The breakfast provided many choices and was good. The hotel was clean and a great deal for the money.

Convenient Location.
    • Standard Room

Avoid the dinner/ restaurant.... not to be recommended, but lots of other choices nearby

Convenient Location. Rooms are comfortable and newly renovated.

Would stay there again
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

On the last day,Sunday, we found breakfast cold and we were there 15 mins after it opened. Other days were fine

Very nice room. Great choice for breakfast which was included in price

Brilliant hotel at great location!
    • Standard Room

was a little noisy as they still do refurbishment works outside at the car park

Great hotel in the university district (just around the corner from Botanic avenue) about 15 min. walk to city centre. Very nice staff, great rooms (lots of them just received refurbishment) and the breakfast was quite nice as well!

Great buffet breakfast, good parking, little noise even...
    • Standard Room

Very hot due to the hot weather Twin beds not available so bed settee had to suffice for adult daughter and myself

Great buffet breakfast, good parking, little noise even though not far from main roads. Good location

Expected more for the money. Room was fine, staff was friendly but overall disappointing.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room was right beside the elevator so I was listening to it going off all night. Really didn't appreciate that. Food and drink was overpriced and the organization and quality of the breakfast was mediocre. Expected more for the money.

Staff were helpful and friendly

I am very much frequent with booking.com. But their should be money back Gurranty.
    • Standard Room

House keeping was worst like anything. We stayed at the Hotel 5 nights there. They clean our room one day only; though we requested to clean everyday. Their Internet service was worst. We used 3 Device in total & all the Device was from Apple (iPhone 6 & 7 and MacBook). We hardly could connect WiFi there. Last the room was hot; there was no Air Condition service in room.

Only Breakfast

Will use again.
    • Standard Room

Limited parking, but new car park (being tarred during our stay) will solve that.

New room was spotless, modern, comfortable, and brilliantly equipped. Friendly staff, and a great breakfast.

Great location, great staff, great breakfast. We ❤️ Belfast!
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Very odd smell. We stayed during a very warm spell, a fan would have been perfect.

Breakfast was AMAZING! Staff was warm and welcoming. Great dinning menu if you don’t want to leave the hotel.

The room was good and clean, the beds were comfortable and...
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The location, felt lucky there was private parking.

The room was good and clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. But the location isn’t the best.

Never again!
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Carpet was stained, bedside light broken and never again will I take a room opposite the lift. Ever conversation, door banging & cleaning trolley was heard. Couldn't wait to get home for a sleep!

Stayed here before which was A+, but lord what a difference! Wish I had of taken photo's now, Room 219!

A mixed bag with some strengths and some easy fixes.
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

I awarded fair overall as, for almost the whole time I was there, the internet was not working. They advertise free wifi so I do not think that was ok. Also, due to the works happening, the corridors were a bit dirty and you couldn't touch the walls on our corridor due to wet paint. Also, I expected some noise during the day as that would be unavoidable with the improvements but the constant smell of paint which drifted into our room was unpleasant.

The breakfast was great and the staff were friendly. The room was basic but fine and location was also good - close to the Botanic Gardens and easily walking distance for me to the centre. There were also several bars and restaurant close by.

Dissapointing.
    • Standard Room

Staff on check in were v unhelfpul. We'd booked a double room but were told because we used booking.com we were not priority and all double rooms were gone. V expensive. Refurb works going on in the hotel. Breakfast was poor, one bowl of fruit put out at 7 and then again at 8 and gone in seconds.

Comfy beds. Relatively clean.

The room was clean and the breakfast was ok (more fresh...
    • Standard Room

The security was not to my liking. I don't like the fact you could walk straight in and use the lifts or stairs freely, and access the floors with the rooms directly. The shower in our room was squeezed into a corner so if you were tall you couldn't stand directly underneath it. Once the building work is finished I am sure it will be an even better hotel.

The room was clean and the breakfast was ok (more fresh fruit would have been nice). The staff were very friendly.

The bed was very comfy, breakfast was very organised and...
    • Double Room - Wheelchair Access/Non-Smoking

There was no one on reception when we arrived and I had to disturb a meeting in order to get checked in.

The bed was very comfy, breakfast was very organised and tasty and the location handy.

Wouldn't have booked knowing what I know now.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was incredibly poor. Besides fried mushrooms not a single vegetable was offered. As a vegetarian you'd have said mushrooms and Quorn sausages to eat. A fruit bowl was placed but soon empty as guests went for breakfast and not refilled well or fast enough. I stayed on the 3rd floor, half of it was under renovations. The walls to the neighbouring rooms were thin and I could hear the other person snoring. No air-conditioning in the rooms, air felt stale.

Location was good. Staff smiling and friendly.

A good hotel, and a very enjoyable stay
    • Standard Room

We found the menu for dinner quite restricted, I could only eat the fish and chips which were not very nice when we had them our first night.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and serviced each day.

Family getaway
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Constant smell in the bathroom. Breakfast just ok - only had scrambled eggs, no other egg options and white bread was still frozen

Clean rooms-big tv. Carpark on site and staff friendly.

Friendly staff.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Stayed on a floor being renovated...felt like we were in a half way house!! Not what we were expecting. Couldn’t access hotel from car park due to works.

Friendly staff. Good self serve, buffet breakfast.

Comfortable stay. Good breakfast. Great staff
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Excellent staff - especially Patricia on reception who went out of her way to help my daughter print off the paperwork she needed for her appointment at US embassy. All other staff were polite and professional.

Room ok , carpets could be cleaner and shower poor .
    • Standard Room

Shower not great and they really take breakfast finished at 10.30 a cut off we got down at 10.20 . By 10.30 everything switched off or taken away no chance of getting a 2nd slice of toast .

Comfortable & served purpose v well. Lovely staff friendly & helpful throughout the 24 hours
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

There was a strong smell of sewage when I returned to the room each day. I opened windows & kept drain & door to shower room shut.

Choice of breakfast & space. Free paper. Use of ironing board. Chance of early check in ( I was feeling unwell) access to fresh milk & able to store bag on day of leaving

They have to improve their Performance and PUBLIC RELATIONS
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Staff at the front desk just aloof breakfast always the same no variety room never dusted Staff not helpful our shared bed too small for two people we had many cases never offered to help One think I found strange I asked for boiled eggs but they said they don’t do boiled eggs no variety of yoghurts

Nothing much nice shower

Belfast was a blast
    • Standard Room

The bar was very expensive by comparison to other places

Staff were extremely helpful even printed our boarding passes. Breakfast was excellent. Rooms were very clean and comfortable

Not central position (20 minutes walk to the City Hall) but...
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Not central position (20 minutes walk to the City Hall) but chosen because close to Ormeau Park (end of marathon) although shuttle buses were provided by the organisation.

Not as good as it could have been,but im sure it will be better when the building is competed.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

No parking due to building work. Building work being carried out on site.Very limited choice of food for evening meal.

Breakfast was ok. Breakfast staff were very pleasant.

Convenient Location, helpful staff.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Renovations under progress, could not lock access to car park. Looking through room window to the centre compound that was left covered in debris from contractors, see photo. The garbage from construction site should be cleaned up daily to show professionalism & pride.

Staff was kind, informative & willing to help. Breakfast was fine

Honest and simple ..good hotel you can't go wrong
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Not a lot really I've travelled all over the world and have stayed in some very expensive hotels..they are not that great you can't beat that personal touch.i met some nice people in Belfast will stay again as it's a great location and a great hotel nothing fancy or posh just good and will recommend this to my friends and colleagues

Lovely.. the breakfast girl was very pleasant and always smiling. Also very helpful..things like turning the toaster down or up so your toast cooked properly.

Short stay and value for money
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Didn’t like that even though continental was supposed to be ready at 5am (as per the receptionist when we arrived), it wasn’t ready until we had to leave for a flight at 5:30. Also didn’t like that the reception guy was asleep on the chair when we went to check out as he wouldn’t wake up when we called him.

The space

Wifi was good.
    • Standard Room

The hotel is old and is currently subject to major renovations. The hotwater was sometimes cold. No air conditionin in our level 1 room. Location nt excellent. Breakfast was basic. Over priced for the hotel.

Wifi was good. Near the University, and within public transport. One train stop to Belfast Central.

Good for short stay
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room was reasonably clean apart from a ball of hair found at the end of the bed , and the noise of doors banging constantly early in the morning ....

It was ok ,staff were good ,hope it gets better when extension is finished ...

It served a purpose.
    • Standard Room

There is refurbishment going on at the Hotel and I was woken up by their radio on directly underneath my bedroom at 7.00am and using drills. Food was average at best with my steak as hard as shoe leather.

Check in was quick and the room was very clean

Very satisfied with our stay and wouldn't hesitate to check in again in the future.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We didn't like the toilet as it looked old, it was clean but old. Also, the parking area was very dusty because of the ongoing renovation. I appreciate that the management acknowledged that the hotel doesn't look very welcoming because of this.

All you can eat breakfast buffet is always a treat, you can do away with all the meals during the day and just focus on exploring Belfast. We booked a double bedroom good for a family of 4, and they offered a sofa bed (we ticked this option online) without the extra cost.

Enjoyed our one night, if I revisit Belfast would stay again.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Asked for a quiet room but allocated one opposite lifts, probably one of the noisiest locations.

Breakfast was better than I expected, very varied choice. Good location, not right in centre but everything within walkable distance.

Good location, good breakfast
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Bed in room was small and not suitable for 2 people sharing.

Good location. Within walking distance of centre (approx 15-20 mins). Good selection at breakfast. Dinner options available. Free secure parking in small multistorey car park. Good size reception area with arm chair like seating, small coffee tables and charging points. Staff approachable and friendly.

Worthy!
    • Standard Room

The bed was lovely. Very tidy place. Parking is still under construction, but it's not a problem at all. Location is good if you don't mind walking. Breakfast could be enhanced.

Expressly good holiday
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was good although the shower was slippy and the soap didn't wash away easily.

The breakfast was very good. The lifts were prompt. Staff very helpful. Beds were comfortable.

Small hotel on a residential street.
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Quite small rooms. Shower only. Construction was going on in the parking lot and it was a bit of a pain to get to a spot.

Small hotel on a residential street. Free parking in the back (covered but not underground, gated). Breakfast was nice. Warm and cold buffet (cereal, fruits, eggs, bacon, beans etc.), Rooms were clean. For the price the location was nice, about a 15 minute walk to the city centre.

Amazing breakfast buffet
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Unfortunately there was a few carpet stains from people getting sick in the room.. the room was spotless but the stains left their mark

Amazing breakfast buffet

Went to Belfast for a birthday treat and the accomodation was an added bonus.
    • Standard Room

No real negatives, had a very pleasant stay.

Very clean and modern. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Having breakfast included was a real bonus and was very nice, plenty of choice for everybody's tastes.

Large and comfy room, excellent position close to...
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The breakfast lacks diversity.

Large and comfy room, excellent position close to Queen's University with many restaurant options in the neighbourhood.

City break
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Receptionist was rude, rooms were a bit hot but other than that was great!

The location was ideal, close enough to the city center. But if your planning on doing the titanic museum then plan a taxi usually cost about £7 so not too bad! Staff were friendly, receptionist wasn’t that polite and just pushed us off but everyone else was great! Beds were amazing and breakfast was fab too!

Clean and comfortable, everything I needed
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The room didn't have much storage space, so if you stay for several nights you'll be using your suitcase as a wardrobe. No view at all from the small window unless you like spying on other guests.

Comfy beds and a clean room. The buffet breakfast was top-notch and there was a large area downstairs to relax in.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Parking garage was extremely tight, both entrance/exit and space inside. I wasn't able to park my minivan there and would have been a bit scared with a standard car. I ended up searching for parking on the street for my whole stay (which was usually available with a short search, safe and free, to be fair)

Renovations to lobby areas have been finished and it looks great. By our stay in mid March construction disruption that had been reported in review forums appeared to have ended. Staff was very easy to work with, even when settling a complicated bill with many rooms (and managing these rooms via the reservations department before arrival).

What a great experience and staying at Holiday Inn made it even better
    • Double Room - Wheelchair Access/Non-Smoking

There was absolutely nothing I didn’t like.

Everything about this place is good. Location set back out of the City Center but not too far. Staff extremely helpful.

Good food,comfortable bed.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Walls very thin with noise from neighbors -high school tour group monopolized breakfast-cut in line and had extra helpings (2nd, 3rd) said ran out of food-took us 30 minutes in line to get breakfast. Location not close to buses-had to take taxis.Rooms very small, no closet or safe.

Great breakfast-staff nice

City break belfast
    • Standard Room

no real issue only small thing was no safe in the room.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was nice everything you need. breakfast was good. location is ok. abt 20 min to city centre but hotel aarange for tour bus to collect from hotel. Also parking available. I would stay again.

Clean hotel in good location
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Only downside was breakfast which was basic enough with no fried eggs.

Room was clean and warm and beds were comfortable. Good shower and clean bathroom. Also very good location for eating out with many restaurants of different types only a 5 minute walk away.

It is what it is basic no frills . Good for short stays
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom was a little small The area for breakfast was very open There was no queuing for breakfast it was a free for all which I find a little annoying you had people cutting by you

The staff were very helpful and friendly The entrance was clean and welcoming

Location and parking.
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom in need of TLC but I'm sure that this will be done once the extensive extension to the hotel is finished. Bar prices a little steep.

Location and parking. Breakfast.

A vibrant, fascinating city well worth a visit.
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

I don't think anything could have been really improved, maybe a bit more wardrobe or cupboard space but that's really a minor thing and i'm just trying to pick a fault, to which really there are none .

The location of the Hotel is excellent, its near the University so there's plenty of Bars and restaurants offering good value within easy walking distance but although its on a main road it's also surprisingly quiet, if you don't like heavy traffic nearby. the breakfast was plentiful and well stocked and the service from all the staff was excellent, nothing was too much trouble for any of them. the room was very clean and very functional. brilliant hotel, highly recommended and again Central Belfast City Centre is only about 20 mins walk away.

Lovely and would recommend hotel for anyone who doesn't have walking problems.
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Had to request extra tea bags. Just a bit too far out for some of group to walk into centre so needed taxis. Never enough shelf space in bathroom. No drawers in bedroom.

Plenty of choice for breakfast. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Clean bathroom. Good facilities such as hair dryer and tea and coffee. Nice touch having Dove hand wash and shower creme.

Very pleased with hotel and meals were very good
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Passage on first floor very cold as work going on and workmen started banging just after 8am but thankfully we were up.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and staff very welcoming.

excellent value for money
    • Twin Room - Non-Smoking

the location is a little far out for me as im an o a p however this would not stop me from staying with you again

i have no complaints the hotel is very clean and warm and the breakfast is just wonderfull

We loved Belfast so much to see a a great city lovely people we will come back again
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The ground floor but I would say it's all finished now we just went at the wrong time

Well there was no bar or restaurant so we had to go out all the time

Very comfortable, friendly base for our weekend exploring Belfast.
    • Standard Room

Not a big problem, would have preferred king sized bed!

Plenty of choice, hot food was kept hot and topped up, gluten free options available. All the staff were really friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was very nice and there was a lot of choice.
    • Double Room with Double Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The WiFi was weak and slow, the television was slow and had few channels that worked. The lighting was not great and the room service did not change the sheets for 3 nights.

The breakfast was very nice and there was a lot of choice. The check and check out was very easy and the rooms are clean.