Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Burton on Trent 3 stars

Second Avenue, Centrum One Hundred, Burton upon Trent, DE14 2WF, United Kingdom

#2 of 7 hotels in Burton upon Trent

I can’t thjnk of any

I liked everything about the hotel..the staff couldn’t have been more friendly and helpful and nothing seem to be any problem and was always met by a smile. Fabulous!

£3 parking charge, paying to stay there car park should be free

Hotel was exactly what we was looking for with a group of 11/12 year old boys for a football trip it was perfect

I cannot say I didn't like anything....and I've one 15 trips in hotels over last year

Exceptional service...great food..comfy clean rooms...lovely bathrooms...I recommend this location without question

Paying for car parking. Apparently it is in the small print but just seemed odd. To be fair because everything else is good value for money, we cannot complain too much.

Perfect for our family wedding weekend. Big enough for us all to stay together. Communal area with bar and free tea/coffee all day. Perfect for before and after! Big breakfast available and the staff were fantastic making sure as many of us as possible were able to check in before the wedding. Thank you.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

No bath in the room. bar was way over priced ,the relaxing area's were rather small more easy seats needed

Very friendly staff very helpful will certainly stay again.best hotel experience we have had and hopefully be staying there next year.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The billing was a total fiasco, been sorted now and the breakfast was not really for vegetarians , some tomatoes and mushrooms would have been nice.

the room was clean and absolutely met our needs, location was good and they called a taxi,

The rediculious size of the breakfast plates. I can’t see how you can gain from this as people went for another plate full. I had trouble controlling the food on such a stupld small plate. It makes you feel that you are being very tight with the breakfast and nit wanting us to take much. Spoilt my breakfast and many other people staying there.

The friendliness of the staff

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The cost of having the dog with us was not included in the cost quoted by booking.com but that was the fault of booking.com

Our pet dog was accepted and we could have taken breakfast back to the room as we could not leave dog in the room unattended

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

At breakfast the sausages and scrambled eggs were tasteless, and the bacon was fatty. The shower base was dangerously slippery. We did request, and receive, a mat, but I would suggest a mat should be placed in the shower as standard.

free tea, coffee juices etc, and yes, the croissants were nice!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had a conjoining room. This normally would be fine. However i had to book the room due to being on a first date to which mine and the lucky guys cars got locked in a nearby car park. We booked the room as we both lived in cities away from the restaurant. As we laid down to sleep akws from the fact there was only signal enough for two channels we begun to hear the sounds of moaning. At first i thought there may of been a animal in distress outside but upon further investigation and a series of slaps it dawned upon us this was in actual face the couple next door ‘going at it’ after various slaps, moans and position changes myself and my date shared a awks spoon. Breakfast was fun trying to decide to which couple it was whilst waiting for our taxi back to pick up our cars.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

When we stopped for a coffee there were 2 gentlemen in 2 separate areas conducting telephone interviews. One was extremely loud and spent 50 minutes on the phone and could be heard no matter where you sat in the bar. We found this very annoying as we were on a break away from work environment. The staff were aware of this very annoying situation but apparently are not allowed to stop people working from the bar. Other than that issue our stay was excellent.

The breakfast and free coffee excellent.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was an unpleasant drain smell in the bathroom. The mattress was foamy, synthetic and felt too warm/sweaty. Having booked a room, I was then surprised on arriving, to be advised that there was a £3 parking charge?

The blackout curtains, the room layout, the facilities and the cost.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Stated we wanted a twin room. Received a double room. They did however make the sofa bed up while we were out. Booked this on a half price deal which was good value. If we had paid the full price it would have been over priced.

Breakfast was tasty.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The other noisy, inconsiderate guests who checked in on the 3rd floor at 3AM, slammed their doors and let their children run wild in the corridors 😠. 11AM check out is too early & £3 for car parking was an insult.

New, clean. Kettle & hair dryer complete & working.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Shower flow wasn’t great. Other than that nothing.

Staff really friendly, Good size room, good breakfast choice. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate always available.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Poor lighting in room. Hair dryer to far away from mirror. No mirror for makeup and doing hair. Only lamp not adjustable. Only suitable for letter writing 😩

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Heating in room 212 - radiator did not come on despite following instructions of usage

Staff were friendly - room was clean - overall excellent value for money Waitress at Breakfast time (oriental lady) - was superb!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Beds are not very comfy(got stiff back) and foods provided for breakfast arent fresh and interesting. Also there are very very less options for vegetarians.

Ambience

The room was fine except for the lighting which makes the room very gloomy. Then I could not read in bed because the bulb in the reading light had not been replaced

• Standard Double or Twin Room

i am disabled but i found out on leaving that you have to pay for parking but i didn't but i think staff should tell you when booking or when you arrive.

loved the location and taff were very helpful and very polite.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The single beds were not very comfy.There was a constant hum of what sounded like the boiler room. As a consequence I woke up late and didnt have time for breakfast. I was not aware it was a hotel that takes dogs until I heard and saw two dogs and would prefer to stay somewhere without dogs normally.The room was very unattractive and clumsy fixed furniture and ugly big black chair.

The staff were cheerful and changed the room for me when I found I was allocated a room by the lift. I was thankful my room was cool as often over hot.It was clean.

Breakfast plates were only the size of a side plate so would have preferred a normal size dinner plate but it was a buffet style breakfast so you could help yourself to more if you wanted to. They charged £3.00 for parking, but I was not told of this by the staff I only found out when I checked my bank statement as I never asked for an invoice, so maybe my own fault.

Exactly what we were looking for. It was nice to be able to have a drink or 2 on the premises before going out. The staff were extremely helpful & friendly. On arrival the check-in was simple and when asked about booking a taxi they did it for us and gave us the taxi business card for our return journey as we did not know what time we wanted to return. Free tea and coffee in seating bar/seating area which you could help yourself to. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Check-out was also easy.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast was awful. Compared to your Holiday inn Birmingham where i stayed the following night, breakfast there was wonderful and room was about £30/40 cheaper. Breakfast at Burton needs seriously improving .

Comfortable room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It was a very busy weekend and there was only one person on the reception and covering the bar so had to wait a long time to be serviced. The young girl was rushed off her feet and it wasn't her fault I think it could of been more managed properly to have more staff after all it was a scooter weekend and lots of drinkers that evening

• Double Room - Disability Access

Bacon needs to be trimmed as there is an awful lot of fat on it which can be off putting Bar prices need to be brought down a little to be competitive with the close bars in the area as does the restaurant prices

It was lovely and Lauren was brilliant throughout the whole booking process - the restaurant for breakfast had a good selection and it was all hot and well cooked. There was plenty for everyone and they even do grab and go backs which is a brilliant idea. We did not eat at night there as we were visiting family and the bar prices are a little on the expensive side which being next to 3 pubs you would have thought they would be more competitive but that did not worry us to much. Staff are very friendly no matter what time of day it is and the rooms were a very high standard. Will definitely be booking holiday inn again

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very dated, not clean (hairs and dust) awful breakfast with watery over cooked scrambled eggs, old croissant, no fresh juice or porridge

Friendly staff, ok bed

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The fact hat other guests were so bloody noisey that I was still awake at 5am Sunday morning I phoned down to reception and put in a complaint. And informed them that there was more than 2 people in this room. They were shouting. Running up and down the corridor.slamming doors.shouting outside their room. It was awful I had drove for 3 hours on the Saturday and was shattered did not need this. I had a 8 hour course to do and travel 3 hours back home on very little sleep. I told reception staff as I went for breakfast and was told that room 211 had been a problem the night before.when I pointed out 3 of them that was standing outside I was told that they they hadn't been checked into that room??????

It was all there what I needed.thankyou x

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The bed to hard and lumpy the breakfast was cold and not much of the plates was like saucers kids meals the staff were very friendly it’s a shame the breakfast lets them down would not book again

The location was perfect the shower was perfect

Nothing negative at all!

Brand new mattresses on the day of our arrival -very comfortable. Fantastic inclusive breakfast. Friendly, helpful staff. Excellent value for money.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Girls on reception very friendly and helpful. Lift very temperamental - sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't! Had to walk down the stairs from the 3rd floor on three occasions - lift arrived on two occasions but the door wouldn't stay closed when we entered and pressed the G button. The third time it didn't come at all! Did mention this when checking out and also mentioned it on the Saturday evening when we came back in from having a meal and had to walk up to the third floor - not very good at all as we are seniors - my husband is 80 and I am 76 so we found it a bit of a struggle to say the least! We were given a disabled room although we didn't ask for one which, in itself wasn't a problem except that the bathrooms in disabled rooms are very large to allow for wheelchairs etc. but this particular bathroom wasn't heated which was a bit of a problem - is it normal for disabled rooms not to have a bathroom with a radiator in? Normally, people who have disabled rooms are either elderly or infirm and definitely would require a bathroom with some form of heating in this weather - it was minus 2 degrees in Burton on Saturday night and although we are reasonably mobile we still need some heat in the bathroom to get ready to go out in the evening and again in the morning. Premier Inns could certainly show Holiday Inns a thing or two with regard to comfort and heat. The bed as well wasn't up to the standard we are used to - for a start it was only a double bed and the duvet was very small - no overhang! Premier Inns provide king size beds with generous duvets! Premier Inns are also much cheaper too!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Having stayed at this site several times the breakfast is always the same and for me this is a "take it or leave it", some times it would be nice to have something different, the food is good but always the same.

One thing that I noted was the electric sockets now have charging points this is a great idea as I do not always remenber to pack a plug, love the pillows

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was noisy, the heating system bizzare, my room fronted onto a fairly busy main road and the glazing was almost useless regarding noise reduction. Tried to set the heating in the room to a comfortable temperature, however every time it went near the temperature what sounded like a jumbo jet of a fan system kicked in to cool the room again. All in All about 3 hours sleep over a period of about 8 hours.

Good breakfast, great staff, great location.

Only thing that could have been better is to bring my own pillows. The ones given were fine but not to my personal preference.

Great breakfast and facilities. Very clean too.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

extremely disappointed with the cooked breakfast that was available and also the size of plates to accommodate the breakfast as the price paid for BB is high for breakfast given NOT everyone eats cerals and most reps as men that eat a good old ENGLISH breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nothing to dislike

Very friendly staff, helpful and informative. Hotel in good location with its own bar, bed very comfortable and overall accommodation good value for money.

It is a fair bit out of town, you'll need to get a taxi into the town.

I found that the holiday inn express at Burton good value for money, plenty of parking with friendly helpful staff.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Would have been nice if they did room service as I was on my own but had work todo ordering something to the room would have been handy

The staff were very nice and down to earth

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I booked a twin room and was given a double room as told wasn’t another one available. I had to share this bed with another male adult which was an uncomfortable experience.

Hotel was close to venue for purpose of journey.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

My Hairdryer and a couple of the plug sockets in the room were not working however by the time arrived it wasn't worth getting a member of staff to come and fix the issue which I'm sure they would have done.

Really nice clean room, quiet

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

There was no soap in the bathroom dispenser. The lighting was really dull which made it difficult to get ready for a night out.There was a fly in the room and also on the corridor which I found strange as it was very cold outside. The breakfast plates were very small and not good for a cooked breakfast.

Friendly staff, comfy bed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The receptionist tried to charge us for the room although I had paid 2 weeks before I think they should be more attentive. Although they were very polite.

very clean lovely food bed was a bit hard but overall very impressive and good value for money. The staff were very polite and the breakfast plates were cleared away promptly after each course very hard working staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The milk on the tray in room, was not very nice. My daughter thought the pillows and bed uncomfortable. Was noise from outside traffic but where told the hotel was due a refit, so hopefully better windows. Breakfast was adequate.

Squeaky bathroom door in room 315

Friendly and respectful staff who ALL stood in silence with us for the 2 minute silence on Remembrance Sunday at 11.00 Excellent reception staff who offered to take photos of us prior to going to a family wedding. ALL staff wore a smile

The breakfast was a very poor choice of hot food with in my option undercooked still mooing bacon. Wasn't clear about parking charges only booked as both disabled and needed parking.

The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean and the staff very friendly

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

If there's an issue around a later check out (for something we do every few weeks) then knowing when it's check in (or before given I always call to request specific rooms) would be helpful to avoid the DM being abrupt

The duty manager this morning was quite rude and very blunt.

Staff was brilliant, good location with a harvester Toby Carvery and Beefeater all close by and a Morrison's across the way, hotel was clean and comfortable

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Slightly moody waitress on Monday morning when having breakfast, trying to take our plates when we weren't finished twice. Hurrying people up too!

Everything I needed was there

Room from our view was the car park which was a shame but we was on the ground floor. Got breakfast around 6.30/7am and the staff at the front desk where shouting and laughing very loudly. It’s nice they were friendly and everything but maybe a lil less loud at 7am

Overall great night stay at the holiday inn, friendly staff! Clean rooms. Breakfast was a great range! I liked the fact it was help yourselves

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The immediate surrounding area had little to offer apart from a limited cheaper style restaurants . But with a car we travelled to our reason for using this hotel .

The staff were so helpful and cheerful. The location was good for the purpose of our visit.

There was nothing negative at all

Overall it was a great stay. Hotel was quiet, room lovely, breakfast super, staff friendly and helpful, good location for what I needed. Can't fault it!!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Very noisy through the night with cars road racing etc outside the hotel. Taxi booked at reception charged £8 for a journey of approximately one mile to the bridge inn, Branston. Made the mistake of not asking for a fixed price which we did on the return journey with another company for £5. Thought the hotel would recommend best value for money. Taxis also unmarked with no metre, felt quite uncomfortable about the whole situation.

Comfortable bedroom, staff supplied extras when asked. Breakfast arrangements good. Tea and coffee available in reception area a nice extra touch making it easier to socialise with friends.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No hot food on arrival Sunday evening, jacket potatoes on Menu but no Salad Garnish available Staff made the best of a situation which was out of there control. We felt for them. It was listed as being available. Thought there was a problem when we were handed a Menu of a Restaurant outside of the Hotel on arrival

Staff polite and pleasant

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Not really handy for town, needed a taxi ride etc. Dog friendly hotel but not in a position to be able to let the dogs have a run in the morning (just enough grass/trees to cock a leg). Breakfast was ok, but for the standard could have done a bit better. Bring in some Hash browns etc. Bacon on the first day was undercooked, sausages of very poor quality. Not bad, but not great either.

It served the purpose, but in a very busy area when you have dogs.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Why do I have to pay for parking in an out of town hotel? It's controlled electronically, no person controlling the barrier, so why the cost?

Straightforward, comfortable place with helpful staff. Good breakfast. Everything very clean. Thanks!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Never had to pay extra for parking before only 3 pound but a private hotel carpark so why charge extra for parking

Little things like if you forget anything like toothbrush toothpaste shaving kit the reception will supply you free of charge all the staff seem to enjoy there jobs which creates a lovely atmosphere in reception

• Double Room - Disability Access

the hotel was lovely and clean and the staff were excelent , but the noise in the early morning at 4am was rediculouse and didnt rate the breakfast scrambled egg 1bacon 1sausage and some beans and on the week end no evening meal, we only stayed the one night and left saturday at 6.30 pm , wont be staying there again

Not being forewarned that you had to pay £3 a night for parking. One side of hotel faced the busy A38 dual carriageway and the noise kept us awake during first night.

Staff friendly, helpful and local with English as first language. Everything in bathroom worked well. Help yourself breakfast enjoyed by children with take-away bags supplied for taking a small cake for elevenses. For cooked breakfast the only eggs available were scrambled and rather tasteless, otherwise reasonable fare.

Firmer beds

We had two nights here but different groups of people with us for a wedding, the housekeeping staff were wonderful as family with 10 week old baby needed to access their room as soon as possible this was done with speed and thouhtfulness once the room had been vacated by previous occupants . This was a good stay the only slight negative for us is the beds were very soft, but this wouldn't stop us staying here again . The free coffee in reception served as a very good place to meet other guests.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Although an animal lover, we didn't like the thought that an animal may have been staying in our roomeeting before we arrived.

Breakfast was very good. Bed comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I found the room a little tired, could do with a re-vamp, the shower and wc were dated and the bed was quite small.

The overall stay was good, friendly staff, good parking and a good breakfast.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Burton-upon-Trent is an acquired taste, it is a mixture of modern developments and old housing and apart from the National Brewing Centre has little to offer the tourist. Having said that there are lots of places around to visit and it's central location and close proximity to the motorway network makes it an ideal place to stay when touring in the area

The free breakfast and complimentary tea and coffee during the day were really excellent. We were touring in the area, particularly the National Memorial Arboretum and it was so nice to return to the hotel after dinner and relax in the comfortable lounge/Bar/Dining area with a cup of coffee before returning to the room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Can't stand TV on in the bar/dining area for breakfast, Also Muzak, totally unnecessary when your trying to get your head together for the working day.

Reasonably price no frills.

Breakfast was cleared away a bit to quickly for those of us who like a lie in! I had a bowl of cereal on the last morning and went to the buffet to get a cooked breakfast to find that it had all been cleared away 🙁

A good selection for breakfast; including vegetarian options for my husband.

For the cost of £135 on a Sat night due to being on a course and no restaurant open for and evening meal because I was informed it was not viable and had to settle for a takeaway. Why was this not put on the web site giving warning? The last time I stopped st this hotel 3 years ago everything was great. I feel like I have been duped and robbed.

The Hotel was near to St George's Park FA football centre

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Booked and was confirmed a double room, double bed on ground floor and was given a room on 2nd floor 2 single beds!! When we enquired as to reason for this Receptionist not as pleasant and friendly as you would of hoped

Good facilities near to other outlets and somewhere else to eat as no evening meal at hotel

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Extra payment for Car Parking when we got there!!!!! Never had to pay that before and we were unaware of this extra charge when booking!! Little brown bits floating in kettle from the heating element!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Only small sized plates for breakfast,and scrambled eggs only egg option,but good selection of food well cooked and lots of cold options available. Very fast toaster. Too many dogs about Soiled bath mat left in room. Bed soft but was comfortable. Car parking charged extra.

Good location reasonable price breakfast included

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There are no evening meals on a weekend and having to pay an overnight car parking charge when staying at the hotel

Cleanliness of the room and helpful staff

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The car parking was an additional cost per night

The staff were excellent - very welcoming and allowed us to eat our Chinese carry out at the tables used for breakfast and meals (meals were no longer being served)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Receptionist didn't really explain everything on check in I.e. Where breakfast was served, that there was a menu available all day/evening, what time check out was, we had to ask.

Room was spacious, clean & comfortable. Plenty of choice at breakfast & pleasantly surprised that food & drink was available at other times too. Overall a lovely place to stay & great value for money.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was happy with everything for my short stay

I was surprised to get a cooked breakfast thought it was going to be a continental one, so was a bonus for us. Felt car was secure with the gated exit. I stayed for 2 nights when attending the Women at War 100 ceremony at the NMA so it was very close to drive to although there was traffic problems early morning.

I hadn't realized how far from town it was.

The Holiday In was clean and modern and the staff were friendly. just off the motorway it was easy to find.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Possibly signage near to the Holiday Inn itself as there are lots of roundabouts in the area.

The staff were lovely, happy, polite & smiley people. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The room was good, beds very comfortable like ours at home.Shower lovely too. Great breakfast- eat & drink as much as you can or ' grab & go '. We did both!! I lost my phone so contacted the Holiday Inn & it had been handed in by the cleaner........it was found in my room. Extremely grateful for her honesty. Thankyou very much.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Inn could put an extra chair in the room for comfort. It also allowed raucous and noisy behaviour by other people staying at the Inn until early hours.

The room was just about big enough, the breakfast was quite good.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

I couldn't find fault with anything during our visit.

The staff couldn't have been nicer. We checked in very late in the evening but this wasn't problem and the breakfast was very nice and plenty for everyone.