Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham Town Centre 3 stars

Dunalley Street, Cheltenham, GL50 4AP , United Kingdom

#16 of 24 hotels in Cheltenham

• Double or Twin Room

The reception. It was a good job we had been before and knew where to park. The receptionist was monosyllabic and less than helpful. We had to ask about the exorbitant cost of the car park. The receptionist gave us the keys to one room when I had said we had booked 2 rooms. I had to go back when I noticed there were only keys to one room. She had already walked off. No instructions on the way to the room or information about breakfast. This poor reception was the same at the Gloucester Holiday Inn on our way down to Cornwall. Travelodge staff are much better trained. They are helpful and welcoming and ask you about your stay on the way out.

Comfortable beds

• Double or Twin Room

We were on the fourth floor yet the noise from the street both people and traffic so found it hard to get off to sleep.

Location is good for places to eat and drink and we enjoyed the crazy golf (different to what you expect) Breakfast was super for variety and quality

• Double or Twin Room

- Some staff were very helpful, other were a bit surly - Breakfast: coffee wasn't at all strong, orange juice watered down - Limited hanging space for clothes if more than 1 person

- Bright airy room - Desk with good lighting made it easy to work - Good wifi - Great bathroom with big shower - Nice courtyard

• Double or Twin Room

Staff at reception weren’t very service minded and breakfast was quite limited - alright for 1 night but would have gotten bored if we stayed longer!

Love the location, rooms, cleanliness. So amazingly comfortable and great value for money!

The staff were bright and efficient and helpful. The room was quiet and very clean. The location was very good for seeing Cheltenham and for a choice of restaurants. The breakfast was first class. Every bit of it was excellent.

• Double or Twin Room

Central, easy to find. Very quick check in but informed of various local offers including free gym use across the road. Friendly staff. Good breakfast. Plenty of space everywhere.

breakfast rather poor , just scrambled egg , beans , bacon and sausage , make your own toast , tea and coffee , it would of been nice to have something different like tomatoes and mushrooms , having the same breakfast over four days wasn't good .

room cleaned most days except the may bank holiday , the room was very clean , we asked for a quite room which are available , and it was nice and peaceful during our four nights stay , restaurants close to the hotel including the real china buffet which was good , hotel close to the bus stop for the park and ride bus to cheltenham race course ,

The hotel fronts onto Swindon Road / St Margaret's Road which is a major through route. I had a room at the front of the hotel and, as the weather was hot, I had the window open during the night and the traffic noise kept me awake at times. My friends had rooms at the back of the hotel and didn't have this problem, so make sure you get a room at the back if you want to open your windows at night.

The hotel is conveniently placed for the bars and restaurants of the Brewery Centre and is only a short taxi ride to the racecourse. The staff are very helpful, the rooms are spotlessly clean, the price is reasonable and the food is satisfactory.

Room was very clean and beds extremely comfortable. We were barely a 5 minute walk from the town and local restaurants - Brewery Quarter - lovely location quiet area. Good choice of breakfast from toast to croissants to full English or cereals. Choice of hot beverages to juices/water and lovely open dining area, staff were on hand if needed.

• Double or Twin Room

The rooms are very small and compact, the double beds are as small as they can get away with, the bathrooms are tight. Breakfast was a very average bacon, sausage, scrambled egg and beans. Toast and croissants were available. A small choice of yoghurt and fruit. A machine made coffee. Given the reviews I read about the breakfasts, I was hoping for more, especially as a breakfast makes or breaks a stay sometimes. I like a buffet style breakfast, but this was closer to low-budget, mass catering rather than the food you'd want to eat at a hotel. I travel to Leeds for work a lot and the hotel I stay in is purely for their buffet breakfast - The Novotel Leeds city centre. Their rooms are dated (although roomier than here), but the breakfast more than makes up for it. I would show that hotel to this Holiday Inn Express as an example of what is good for business/short stay travellers.

The location of this hotel is quite good if you want to be able to use the high street area.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing. Really..really enjoyed my stay.I have short term memory problems..but the happy smiley people workin there where very helpful.It also has a late bar which is handy for a nightcap.The room was also very nice..good size.with very comfortable beds

Yes very nice breakfast overall.And the Croissants where lovely large and crispy

Breakfast was very disappointing due to lack of choice - eg the only option for eggs at this venue was scrambled from a packet. The staff were not hugely welcoming but were efficient. Would not pay full price for this venue again

This was clean and comfortable as you would expect from a Holiday Inn

I shared my room with a school friend and the single beds were a decent size and comfortable. The room was a generous size with everything you could need in it. The bathroom was also a good size. Breakfast was very good. The staff were friendly but not intrusive. It's a great place to stay if you are visiting Cheltenham

• Double or Twin Room

The room was really clean and the aircon worked very efficiently. Staff were really helpful. Room was really quiet. Breakfast was great. Pretty hotel courtyard off the dining room. Really plessed to get a parking discount at the NCP!!

• Double or Twin Room

A minor point to some but the toilet in our room would only flush if you pushed with two hands, waited a few seconds then pushed again until it flushed. Very difficult to use. We asked for it to be looked at and was told that the toilets are designed that way. Never have I come across one like it. I hated it. Also, our room was not serviced one day. We had to phone reception for new towels etc. We were given just two towels! No hand towels or face washers were replaced.

The location was fabulous. Close to the main shopping precinct and the restaurants. We were even given discount vouchers for selected restaurants, which we used. Staff at the hotel were very professional yet friendly, always greeting their guests.

• Double or Twin Room

Parking difficult from hotel to load and unload Necessary to explain when booking that it is one way street entrance to hotel that one turns off street before to get to parking and entrance of hotel

• Double or Twin Room

We were told by reception staff that the car park was free from 8pm until 10am. When I returned to my car at 9:30am the next morning I had a parking ticket. If staff don't no the times tell us don't make it up

Breakfast and the room was very nice

• Double or Twin Room

Overcrowded breakfast and not enough seats even though we went down early on a Sunday morning. Our table was below the a/c blower which made our breakfast cold pretty quickly (not a good place to put a table). Breakfast itself was standard and of a normal mixed English/continental variety which tasted ok.

Very clean rooms and friendly staff. Great centre location. Discount vouchers for local restaurants given on check-in which was good. Also 25% off NCP car park across the road (£15 for 24hrs or £11.25 with discount).

• Double or Twin Room

To be fair, we hadn’t asked in advance but as we had travelled quite a distance, an early check in at 1300 would have been good but it wasn’t possible. Some street noise - traffic and revellers (a Saturday night) We arrived and parked in what looked like the hotel car park. We checked with reception and were advised that the area belonged to adjacent apartments so we quickly moved. There was no obvious signage and out friends had done exactly the same thing.

The croissants were very fresh, breakfast materials met expectation. Good that we were on 4th floor as there was some street noise even at that height.

• Double or Twin Room - Disability Access

The breakfast, not very good if a vegan and want something hot, only beans on toast! Tomatoes/mushrooms I would have paid extra for.

reasonable for the price, near to town, very nice staff

Rowdy hen party, silly women knocking loudly on bedroom doors in the early hours of the morning, totally disturbing my sleep. Spent the rest of the day exhausted. I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Clean and comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room - Disability Access

Had booked a double room but on check-in was told they only had twin rooms available. Had to bump the single beds together.

Friendly staff, clean and comfortable. Right next to the Brewery so a good location for restaurants, bars, cinema etc. A great spot for when I'm back in my hometown.

• Double or Twin Room - Disability Access

Nothing wrong with the property all the staff friendly apart from one

Cleanliness,, good amount of staff, dining room cleared regularly throughout breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast ok, nothing special. Do get discount on car park but still have to pay £11 per day for parking.

Good location. Easy check in with friendly staff. Room very comfortable.

we did not have issues with anything at all.

The very friendly service and the added bonus of breakfast in the cost. The comfort of the beds and bedroom. We appreciated the shower gel and hand soap in the bathroom.

• Double or Twin Room

Cant think of anything..honestley..it would be just looking for things that would very minor for the sake of it.

Clean bright and very comfortable room.Friendly and helpful staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Location as in town centre. short drive to the racecourse. Nice buffet breakfast. Good price for one night stay. Discount for NCP car park across the road.

• Double or Twin Room

Lack of car park on site which wasn't mentioned when booking. Parking at NCP next door but is additional expense you are not aware of when booking.

Quiet room, comfy bed. Clean bathroom, liked how the bathroom door blocked the loo off.

• Double or Twin Room

Air con didn’t really work effectively so it was very warm in the room. The breakfast was basic but satisfactory. Shower gel was empty.

Settee in room was great bonus.

• Double or Twin Room

The lightening is poor couldn't see to do hair unless bathroom door open. Not enough tables for breakfast

Room well set out with ironing board/ hairdryer etc

Heating seemed to be malfunctioning as rooms were incredibly hot and air con didn’t work. Really affected our sleep. Lots of guests complaining about it the next day. Hopefully not a permanent problem.

Location is amazing for exploring Cheltenham. Reasonable price.

The room was too hot and we could get it to cool down. Luke on reception brought us a fan and that helped.

Location & staff. Great breakfast too. Anna on Reception gave us a great welcome. Luke went the extra mile finding us de-caff tea & coffee for our room.

• Double or Twin Room

Can't say there was anything I didn't like the only thing that would stop me staying again is the price I'm on a very limited budget but when I can justify the price I will stay again but won't be for a while now

My room was excellent the staff were friendly & helpful the location was excellent for my needs. Didn't use any WiFi hence score. Breakfast was very good it was a bit more expensive than I usually pay that's the only problem for me not that it was to expensive for what I received its just my budget won't go to it on a regular basis

• Double or Twin Room

Our view was awful and to say the hotel wasn't very busy and we have stayed a fair few times I thought we could have a room with a slight view over Cheltenham. Our bathroom was slightly unclean and the toilet wasn't clean property. The sofa in our room was awful, stained and so uncomfortable. The breakfast wasn't great, no orange or apple juice, mess everywhere

Loved the location and the room was a good size.

• Double or Twin Room

FITMENTS TO RAIL HANDLE LOOSE IN BATHROOM, NOT SURE ABOUT PILLOWS ALTHOUGH HAD NOT CLOCKED THAT THEY WERE 'TWO-SIDED'. SOMETHING WENT WRONG WITH THE PARKING TICKETS LEAVING A FEW OF US STUCK TO GET OUT OF THE CAR PARK, NOT SURE IF THAT WAS THE CAR PARKS FAULT OR A PROBLEM WITH THE HOTEL TICKETING.

FAB BREAKFAST AND VERY NICE YOUNG PEOPLE FRONT OF HOUSE SOME MORE 'HANDS-ON 'THAN OTHERS

Poor choice of beer in the bar, would have liked a bitter ale style, and only one gin on offer, the only one I don't like !

The bacon was delicious, thick cut and tasty. I particularly enjoyed the red berries and yogurt.

Shame there isn’t a car park at the hotel but there’s one right opposite & the hotel give you 25% off your ticket.

Location of this hotel is excellent got everything you need around it.

• Double or Twin Room

The view is not great but then what do you expect from a town centre hotel.

Location was perfect, a 2 minute walk into town and directly opposite the Brewery with an added bonus of money off vouchers for most of the restaurants there. Perfect value for the centre of Cheltenham.

• Double or Twin Room

Sounds odd but the headboard made some strange creaking noises. My daughter in the other room told me the same thing happened in her room

Very clean everywhere; comfy bed; lovely breakfast. Staff were polite.

• Double or Twin Room

Mattress was uncomfortable. Spent one out of two nights on sofa bed. A little noisy on main road.

Breakfast was excellent. Exceptional food. Can get busy but tables were cleared fast.

• Double or Twin Room

Bathroom looking a little shabby. Waste bin in bathroom had a lid that wasn't attached so first time I used it it "clanged" to the floor. Flush button on toilet fell off several times.

The best part was the staff. Everyone on reception greeted you with a smile - a great welcome.

• Double or Twin Room

the carpet in the room had a large damp patch there was not tea, milk or sugar on the tray the water in the shower had no pressure and was only luke warm the air conditioning unit was unbelievably noisy even though we put it on the lowest speed setting the room was exceptionally cold when we arrived

the breakfast was OK although the scrambled eggs were horrid and the orange juice seemed to have been made with no orange 0 it was just like drinking a glass of water

Breakfast choices very poor unless you want bacon and 2 types of sausages. No mushrooms, tomatoes or non meat options other than beans. No non dairy milk choices.

Location and staff excellent for us.

• Double or Twin Room

The man on the bar in the evening could do with some customer service skills. No pleasantries or manners. Was very curt in my opinion.

Lovely breakfast. Room warm and comfy. Reception staff were fab.

Checking out

The staff was great on arrival, the rooms were clean and well presented spacious rooms. Missed the breakfast can't comment. Parking was close and 15% helped. Was greatful for the gym pass. And recommend and stay again.

• Double or Twin Room

Dining area was a little untidy, especially the walls which had various left over food marks om them'

Good location and a very good breakfast selection.

breakfast cold, Tv sound too low had to sit at desk to hear ,my wife has hearing problem she couldn’t enjoy film we were watching

Room comfy beds pillows really comfy

expensive for one night because the Cheltenham Festival is on. Cld not check in until 3.pm. And had to vacate at 11am . Was late checking out but Reception were very good about it. Breakfast wasn't very good (my friend says). Will be much much cheaper now and will stay again .

Nice and quiet . Lovely bed . Clean. Comfy. Nice stay.

No negative

The hotel is very clean comfortable and staff are very attentive and helpful. The hotel is very convenient to walk into city centre. Opposite hotel plenty of restaurants

• Double or Twin Room

There was a very large poo in our toilet on arrival. Rather unpleasant!

I felt that the room met our needs very well. The hotel was in a good location and the price was good - I was happy that wifi and breakfast was included in the price

• Double or Twin Room - Disability Access

The only thing wrong was that the public areas were heated to sauna level, could not linger over breakfast as we were nearly passing out with heat!!!

Location was superb, and great that you get 20% off in the brewery restaraunts.

• Double or Twin Room

Noisy as on busy road. Doors banged very loudly when they shut. Not able to turn tv up to a level that we could easily hear over the traffic noise outside.

Location. Breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room

Staff directed us to other hotel without even checking the availability for his hotel first .. then offered room which has smoking smell all over it. eventually changed it

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast wasn’t great. Not much choice. Was free so can’t complain too much though.

Nice size room with a decent bathroom and shower. Friendly and polite staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Could hear road noise in room No parking facilities included - have to pay extra

Great location. Friendly staff, clean and comfy room (albeit smaller than Premier Inn rooms). Freshly cooked breakfast with lots of variety

No onsite parking

Excellent value for money, comfortable bed Lovely shower, clean room and breakfast was very good Paid £60 for the room an absolute bargain

Nice and warm in winter. Normal breakfast for this type of hotel but plentiful, appetising, clean. 25% voucher for safe car park around the corner. 2mn walk from town centre.

• Double or Twin Room

Having stayed here on numerous occasions we were disappointed and shocked that when going to bed we discovered blood stain on the bottom sheet.We have never had a problem before this.

Close to all amenities, helpful friendly staff,room comfortable breakfast is good.

• Double or Twin Room

Security box in my room did not work at all and so I could not use it No direct parking - use of the nearby NCP carpark came with a discount but I spent c£25 on parking during my stay all adds to the expense

Breakfast was reasonable

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not great quality and we had to wait for various items to arrive.

WechD a minor issue with our shower in the room and it was dealt with promptly and efficiently

• Double or Twin Room

As we are decaffeinated tea drinkers, we were disappointed that there were no decaff tea bags in the room or any fruit teas and that the only decaff coffee available at breakfast was instant. Our room had a window directly over a very busy street and you could hear the noise in spite of the windows being closed. There isn't any parking attached to the hotel but there is a secure NCP multi-storey car park very close by and the hotel gave us a voucher that gave us 25% off the parking.

This hotel has a prime location right in the centre of town and opposite the Brewery Quarter which has a fantastic range of affordable restaurants. Very friendly, efficient staff who were happy to help with maps and restaurant tips. The beds were comfy and the rooms were clean. Pleasant bar area where we sat with our friends in the evening. Complimentary i newspapers dotted around the hotel. Excellent breakfast buffet including hot and cold food.

More milk and coffee in room, we did have to buy more, Had to pay for parking in the NCP although there was a small discount, didn't expect that on top of a long journey, Plug socket needed by table and mirror to get ready, as no sockets there where it was needed,

Staff very very friendly and welcoming, breakfast was nice fully stocked beds were very comfy and the room was lovely and warm The tv had some good channels, and the restaurants local were very handy and in walking distance

• Double or Twin Room

Paying for parking. Although the hotel gives a discount- it was still pretty expensive.

Fab central location. We were in Cheltenham for a wedding reception at Pitville Pump rooms and were able to walk home after the do (about 20mins).

• Double or Twin Room

The parking is poor. Parked in what I thought was the hotel car park because it is next to the hotel checked in unpacked and then went to car to find a parking fine on my screen Very poor really no signs or anything

All good. Decent breakfast and a nice room Easy check in and no problems

• Double or Twin Room

Parking is a bit expensive even with the discount but I'm not complaining.

Very easy to book, easy to check in. The room was very clean, comfortable and warm. The breakfast was also very good.

• Double or Twin Room

Noise behind headboard and the fact I couldn’t get anybody at reception at about 4am all in all had very little sleep and missed breakfast which was annoying.

Nothing to dislike!

Excellent town centre hotel with parking in adjacent NCP car park ( £14/day reduced to £10-50 when staying at hotel. Spartan but clean &comfortable. By usual Holiday Inn Express standards breakfast was varied and very good. Would certainly stay again.

• Double or Twin Room

There were only a couple of tea bags provided but I'm sure I could have asked for more and I do drink a lot of tea!! One of the toasters toasted a little too well.

The room was a good size for a two night stay with a very comfortable bed.

• Double or Twin Room

It wasn't emaculatly clean but still good value for money.

It was very close to the Brewery Quarter which has good restaurants and leisure activities.

It would be nice to have free parking but fully understand the constraints of a city centre location.

The staff were friendly and very helpful. Everything was clean and fresh. The breakfast was very good.

• Double or Twin Room

Dirty toilet in room , sweets under bed ! Came down for breakfast at 10.15 am was told the cooked breakfast was finished ! Rude staff in restaurant !

• Double or Twin Room

Hair in the shower, and sink. Stain on the bed. Being woken up with the cleaner knocking on the door. How about waiting for us to check out??

Room was spacious

The breakfast for a 5 day stay became monotonous a little variety should be easy to arrange within the same budget ie tomatoes instead of sausages boiled eggs instead of scrambled and so on.

The bed was comfy and the room adequately sized for short stay 2 pax.

Might be a be pick here about the bathroom. Clean but not as spotless as it could be. e.g. Dust on toilet roll dispenser, water mark on tiles. Soap dispensers on the wall (shower and wash basin) are pathetic!

We regularly stay here and have been doing it for years. Great location! Convenient. Located next to a large carpark; don't forget to ask for the discount voucher at the reception when checking out. The breakfast is average for this type of hotel. However, I believe it has been looked at and improved greatly recently.

• Double or Twin Room

Staff went out of their way to be friendly. Hotel was clean and beds comfortable. Loads of places to eat nearby with discounted prices and also discount on parking.