Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre 3 stars

#7 of 25 hotels in Hull

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

every enjoyable ,
    • Double or Twin Room

we enjoyed our stay ,breakfast was good staff was friendly ,on the whole every thing was good ,will stay again it is very handy for trains and buses ,and next to a shopping arcade which was a bonus .

Room was very comfortable and the staff were very helpful.

No complaints whatsoever

Room was very comfortable and the staff were very helpful. It was also great that you could park securely right outside in a covered car park for only £4 a day.

NOT GOOD
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Extremely disappointed in my stay ! I was put in a conjoining room even though I did not know this on time of booking ? For some reason the doors had not been locked and a man decided to enter my room at 12pm ... went down straight away to complain to staff and he didn't believe this had happened and there were no rooms to change me to. staff the next morning were good and offered me the room for free and another night at the hotel for free but I will not be staying again after this incident !!!!!

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

clean room although very basic and too pricy for it
    • Double or Twin Room

the mattress was old fashion and I could feel the springs the toilet bowl was not very well cleaned when I arrived and there was no toilet brush.

the hotel was better than expected as I had previously a bad experience with holiday inn. the room was spacious enough and it is possible to partially open the windown. breakfast was good and I like the option to take away some of it as I don't eat too much at breakfast but like to have a snack few hours later.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

staff very helpfull, but noise from pub, let our stay down.

Noise from pub closing at 5am I was in room 705,we hardly had any sleep, no mirror beside hairdryer, at least one or two drawer space could be provided, and would have liked an additional chair

Location is good.
    • Double or Twin Room

When we went down for breakfast there were no tables available, a lot of them were full of dirty plates and cups, we had to move them to another already filled table and wipe our own table.

Location is good. Staff were helpful. Rooms were clean and adequate.

Reception staff very friendly and approachable happy to help...
    • Double or Twin Room

One member of the kitchen staff , young girl dark hair , really rude had no manners and a few of us at breakfast had commented on her .

Reception staff very friendly and approachable happy to help no questions asked. One member of the breakfast kitchen team ( older lady ) was non stop always busy but still time to help and chat and polite .

Good location.

Air con poor. Shower flow not good. Chair very uncomfortable and only one provided in double room.

Good location. Car park attached to hotel. Comfortable beds. Food OK.

The room was great, couldn’t fault it.
    • Double or Twin Room

My stay was spoilt by the breakfast if I’m honest, I was very disappointed to find several fruit flies in my orange juice which I didn’t actually notice until I had drank my first glass. Fruit flies are attracted to fermenting foods, so this really isn’t a good sign at all, it wasn’t even just one fly as the first glass I poured had around four in it which I have photographs of, I was willing to let it slide but upon attempting to get some more orange juice there were several more in the next glass which suggests that they are breeding inside the actual pipe work of the machine. When I reported this to a member of staff she went into the kitchen to inform other staff members that ‘the flies are back’ after hearing this I was even more concerned that this is obviously an ongoing issue, she returned to apply an out of order sign to the machine and nothing more was said. As I was actually staying on business to conduct a health and safety audit of one of our gym facilities, the last thing I expected to encounter was health and safety concerns at my accommodation! Overall, disappointed with the handling of the situation but more so the fact that due to staff being aware of this fly problem it was not addressed and resolved sooner. If you require the photographs I’d be more than willing to send you them.

The room was great, couldn’t fault it.

Entirely happy

Hard to get to. Had to phone for instructions especially with road works going on. Very surprised and happy with parking and access once found!

Location close to shops and restaurants

Hull is an impressive city and your hotel is equal to it.
    • Double or Twin Room

Better pillows needed and room charger not working.

Room spacious and mostly comfortable. Breakfast better quality than I expected. Great access from car park to reception and a bonus - free parking!

Ideal for a City centre visit. Perfectly placed for shopping and a night out.

Car Parking is difficult to find. I rang the number on the website for directions to car park and was told it's on site. Ended up parking in a small local car park which was £2 a night cheaper and perfectly safe.

Good sized rooms and although our room faced the main road we didn't hear any road noise or late night revellers. Good breakfast included in the price.

Great staff. Will definitely stay with you again!
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast cereal choice could have been wider. It would have been good to have yoghurt too.

I'm used to staying in hotels for my work. Usually hotel staff are minimally helpful. However, at the Holiday Inn Express in Hull they are pleasant, helpful, efficient and welcoming. Fantastic.

Does what it says on the tin.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast had sat under the heated lights for longer than it should. A limited choice for vegetarians.

Exactly what you would expect from a chain hotel linked to a train station and massive town car park. Delivered perfectly for cost and cleanliness. A good nights sleep.

Would not stay in any other hotel now in hull n over the past years I have n none was as overall enj

I likedveverything

The staff was very friendly helpful everything was so clean and the staff was so pleasant n helpful the breakfast was excellent I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and anyone thinking of staying in hull aw n not to forget the superb air conditioning in such hot weather

The Hotel was very clean.

The only thing that could have been better is because it was so hot there was a case for air-conditioning.

The Hotel was very clean. Room was comfortable. Staff were excellent.

Excellent location near the train station and a reasonable price.

This is just a personal gripe, but they gave us two pillows each one soft and one hard on each bed but my concern is this increases the amount of laundry unnecessarily, it’s just an environment thing. I would rather they were stored away or available to ask for if needed, but that’s just a personal preference. At first I thought the road noise was going to be an issue/ keep me awake but I found once I was asleep it didn’t bother me.

I took my daughter to the Hull University open day, the hotel location was fantastic as we travelled by train so the hotel was right by the train station and the university put on shuttle buses from the train station to campus so it was just so easy. There is no restaurant facilities on site but through a door / car park you are into a shopping centre with a variety of places to eat. The breakfast was just right, everything we needed. The hotel room was clean and functional for our needs at a good price.

Breakfast rubbish !

Please read above ref breakfast not being great!!!!!

Breakfast rubbish !! Not anywhere near as good as other holiday inns we have stayed in. No almond milk. Little cartoons used for tea left floaty bits. Bread very dry. Daughter who loved scrambled egg at yr Lichfield hotel couldn't even eat it. Sausages burnt. Muffins best bit ,she also liked the crasonts .Having type 1 diabetes though these are not good for her so only had 1 so left hungry.

Location is excellent, everything else was good and what we...

Parking instructions could be clearer

Location is excellent, everything else was good and what we have come to expect from this chain, you know what you are getting.

Welcoming Staff and great location
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff were very welcoming after a long journey and helpful. The location of the hotel was right across from the rail way station and close to all shops and restaurants. Left luggage at hotel and collected later in the day and this was a great help on a very long and hot day.

Standard
    • Double or Twin Room

We went down for breakfast at 9:45 to find out they had nothing left. We had to wait 20 minuets for sausages to be cooked to then have no clean plates. As we also has to wait for them all the sausage was once again all gone. Morning staff seemed very stressed.

Views from the room was amazing. Nice and clean.

Perfect location, friendly and ideal for overnight stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast options were good, I would however like to see more fruit options

Perfect location right in city centre, great for exploring and local shops, , car parking option is fab £7 for 24 hours - love the lifts being totally secure you need your room card to operate them, makes it nice and secure Rooms clean and comfortable with enough pillows, tv, tea/coffee, nice modern bathroom, overall was a peaceful night sleep was in a room next to lift and didn't hear any noise through the night, 2nd time stayed here and will be back again next year

It was mostly ok I guess except for the problem above.

See above

We were waiting for the lift and 2 drunken ladies had obviously urinated in lift 2 at about 10pm. [their clothing gave the game away] on our first night The lift carpet was still drenched the next morning and.....it smelled awful. It didn't really get cleaned up properly all day.

Excellent.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

To be honest I can find nothing negative at all.

The breakfast was lovely. I just loved the fact that they had bags and travel cups so you could make up your breakfast and take it with you. Nothing was too much for the staff. They were always willing to help. You were always greeted and made to feel like you were an old friend, or part of the family/team.

Fabulous city break.

City centre location.

On arriving the staff made you feel at home friendly polite room was a good size. Wish it had been a king size bed. Breakfast was just right. Also clean tables staff again we're excellent. Will be going back.

Really enjoyed it. huge car park connected to the hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Plug sockets. there's one and in a crap place. too far from mirrors.

Breakfast for veggies meant eggs and beans only. But otherwise great. Location was perfect for us.

lovely Weekend in hull
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing really just no Genius perks

bed was comfy and location was very good also very good for local busses and the train station it would be good for you if you have no car also the car park was reasonable price and greatly reduced

We won't be back.

We had the 4 rooms booked for a good time ,when we arrived we was waiting 40 minutes to be booked in as the staff could only find 2of our rooms. Then we're do I start about the lack of staff/food and organisation at breakfast ...... Not enough staff, lack of food and when someone asked for something paying customers got snapped at by the lady who was staff.The only friendly helpful staff member doing anything was Jamie. We even stopped Jamie to ask him if he was the only one getting on with his job. Well done Jamie.

I much enjoyed my two night weekend stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Hull and would recommend it.
    • Double or Twin Room

Not the hotels fault but the weekend parking arrangements with St Stephen's management are archaic and need simplifying. The hotel should be able to deal with your parking requirements when you make your booking, too much hassle otherwise when you are tired after a long drive in heavy traffic.

Staff always polite and helpful, hot drinks available on tap throughout the day, central location.

Disappointed in the room
    • Double or Twin Room

The room in general was a little tired, the sides of the bed was marked the carpet was stained the settee was a bit old looking

The sheets and pillows werenice and clean the food was good staff friendly

Excellent staff,ideal location,very good value especially for short term stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room temp. Control not perfected,resulting in having to open window at night to a very noisy street outside. No proper ENCLOSED closet to hang clothing for people on prolong stay leading to living out of suitcase( ok for overnighter)

Excellent staff.Great breakfast.location ideal.

clean, friendly staff with an issue with parking
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Parking, although the cost was not as much as if I had paid private, it was still considerable and I had a wheelchair user in my party

the situation of the hotel is really good and accessible as I had a family member who is a wheelchair user this is important

The Holiday Inn Express was the perfect hotel to stay for a big night out in Hull
    • Double Room - Disability Access

I didn't like the fact I only booked one night, I wanted to stay longer!

The friendly staff couldn't do enough for us and we are definitely coming back! Breakfast was delicious, whatever I wanted was there.

Good Hotel; good value of money

No restaurant

Room is good I like the hotel design Staff is friendly Avaiable microwave and dining area for guest If you want to bring food from outside

Great hotel at great value.
    • Double or Twin Room

Not enough milk for tea/coffee.

The room was clean and modern with tea/ coffee facilities, TV and hair dryer. The bed was very comfortable with clean bed linen and towels.

Weekend away with daughter.
    • Double or Twin Room

Parking:- not easy to find! £7 for 24hrs! I parked in the prospect multistorey car park, couple of mins walk away for £3 for 24hrs! Sunday breakfast was busy, had to set up extra seating in a meeting room, food wasn't as good as Saturday but still OK.

Location is excellent , staff were welcoming, smooth check in. Saturday morning breakfast was really good.

The breakfasts were very good, the staff friendly and...

it was all just right for us, aged 80.

The breakfasts were very good, the staff friendly and helpful, the location near the station was excellent as we don't drive.

An excellent centre for a visit to Hull city.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a little disappointing. Fruit ran out and was not replaced. Scrambled eggs were not good. Service finished very, very promptly at 9.30.

Excellent value, terrific location in city centre, good car parking at reasonable cost, efficient, well managed, clean.

Excellent facilities and very friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room

The pop music at breakfast. Not everyone likes pop music! The coffee wasn't particularly good. The expensive parking, next time I will try to find cheaper and walk the distance.

Convenient location and convenience of the very close parking. The bed was comfortable, with choice of pillows. The bathroom clean, stylish and spacious. The room accessories like tissues, bathroom cups, note paper. I enjoyed the choices of sugar free items at breakfast. The staff were polite and helpful.

A comfortable hotel in a central location.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast has improved (some hot items). However, the hotel seemed quite full and it was difficult to find a clean table for breakfast. Had to use the outer area which was not as comfortable.

Comfy bed and pillows. Clean. Friendly staff.

Well priced, budget accommodation with friendly and polite staff, exactly as expexted.
    • Double or Twin Room

Upon entering level 3 there was a distinct smell of sewerage/drains on the first night, slightly of putting just outside your room, however inside the room was fine.

The price and that breakfast was included, also the main counter staff were extremely polite and professional.

Nice but cold.

The room was very cold and only heated up a little bit with the heating on full all night. Had to go to bed in a jumper.

Pleasant room, nice breakfast, great location.

Great place to stay and Hull is fab
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was cold as couldn’t work out how to get the heating to come on. Could do with instruction for the heating in the rooms! My friends room was lovely and warm though, they had to turn the heating down!

Loved the location, the bed was extremely comfortable and the staff where fantastic. Delicious breakfast in the morning.

Great night in Hull, as ever!!
    • Double Room - Disability Access

It's a great central location but if you're having a night around the old town you'll need to walk a fair way.

Modern, clean and easy parking. Great breakfast - no complaints at all

We'd happily stay here again

Breakfast a bit average, but OK for the money, still represented good value.

Comfortable, handy for city centre facilities, all staff who we met were pleasant and helpful. Good value for money.

Not worth the money. an extra £20 and stay next door at the hilton.
    • Double or Twin Room

Requested a double and only offered a twin on arrival. Stains on the floor and Chair in room, holes in curtains. Light from hall lit up the room all night. Bed far too unsecure to have a restful sleep.

The breakfast and location were great.

Really good hotel with everything you need.
    • Double or Twin Room

The tv did not move on the bracket which made it a little awkward to view as it was to the right of the bed. Also there wasn't a mirror at the dressing table.

The staff were really helpful. The room was perfect with a nice bathroom and the breakfast was really good.

Staff really good, breakfast was good, Location was good.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Rooms really basic old and dated, bed was small for 2 people. Rooms doesn't give off a comfortable feeling, will definitely try another hotel in the area next time

Staff really good, breakfast was good, Location was good.

Great location for City Centre and shopping.
    • Double or Twin Room

Excellent location for City Centre and Hull New Theatre. Accommodation is not fancy but very adequate, staff were very friendly and efficient, room was warm and comfortable with a very good shower and plenty of hot water. Parking is a little difficult to find and very busy during Saturday shopping hours so leave plenty of time to (an extra half an hour) to get parked. Plenty of taxis available that will pick up and drop off straight outside the hotel entrance on Ferensway.

Very comfortable.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Positioning of double bed, a little too near the wall on one side.

Staff, accessible bathroom for wheelchair user, temperature of room very controllable. Needed this in freezing weather.

Good central location.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Walls were very thin. We could here the guy in next room talking and even yawning. Also tv music. Breakfast area not set out to well. Ed everyone bumping into each other trying to get to toast and drinks.

Comfortable bed

Warm efficient welcome.
    • Double or Twin Room

Not a lot of choice of fresh fruit at breakfast.

Warm efficient welcome. Super clean room. Great value for money. Very convenient city centre location.

Below average

Staff don't know the meaning of customer service The room was awful it was freezing! Beds on wheels so every time you sat on the bed you would fly across the room, same if you laid down and rolled over In bed. Breakfast was basic Coffee machine was broken Overall I wouldn't stay again

Second stay and will be back if I need to go to Hull again
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Very friendly and helpful staff. Clean and comfortable. Ideally located for the purposes of my trip. Quiet no noise from the main road. Spacious room.

The perfect choice when staying in Hull City Centre.

It was perfect Thank you

Excellent service from superbly trained staff Efficient friendly and professional! The room was perfectly located, quiet and comfortable. Brilliant location.

Business overnight
    • Double or Twin Room

Lots of noise from outside in the early hours

Quite (in the hotel at least) Car parking right outside the entrance (St Stephens shopping centre) Very efficient reception City centre location handy for the pubs/restaurants

had good time and wings restaurant was across road which was lovely
    • Double or Twin Room

not enough coffee..milk or sugar in room ...hairdryer was in wrong location for comfort..had to stand and blow dry hair..would of been better near dressing table...

location...bed was comfy

The Hotel is close to all amenities and the facilities of the hotel are excellent and good value
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast that was included did not fully cater for vegetarians/vegans

The room was comfortable & they have instigated a new method that should your stay exceed one night and you do not wish to be disturbed, they advise you in writing of their H&S policy for all guests.

Brilliant location, will be back very soon!
    • Double or Twin Room

The beds were very comfortable, very big and clean rooms. Breakfast was lovely and fresh, lots to offer. The location was brilliant, and car parking not a problem at all. Would definitely come back!

Pretty basic

I had a room that adjoined another and it was very noisy. Dining area is a bit bleak. Taxi ordered through reception was 25 mins late.

Efficient reception staff

Revisiting Hull

Excellent central location. Parking in secure car park with access through shopping centre. Friendly welcoming staff. Comfortable room. Good breakfast. Will definitely visit again

We really enjoyed our stay and would certainly visit again when next in Hull.
    • Double or Twin Room

Perhaps a wider range of fruit with breakfast.

What we most appreciated was the friendliness of the staff we met at the hotel. The convenience of the location and parking was also very good.

Nice place to stay
    • Double or Twin Room

It will be nice if they had a small fridge in the room for drinks

It's In the center of the city, near the station and the shops, very clean and good very good breakfast

A great. Stay
    • Double or Twin Room

The. Staff could. Not. Have. Been. More. Helpful A great. Chester. On Christmas. Day Mince. Pie. And. Buckfiss. For. Breakfast. And good. Service. A good. Breakfast. Buffet

The inclusive breakfast was very good.
    • Double or Twin Room

The additional charge for parking in the St. Stephen's car park was a little dear compared to other Holiday Inns we have used @ £7.00 per night. Night-time access to the hotel was a little awkward as you had to navigate the shopping centre to gain access once the main street doors were closed for the night.

The inclusive breakfast was very good. Location was excellent with all shopping and tourist locations in Hull within easy walking distance. For a city centre hotel the rooms on the 6th floor were also very quiet with minimal traffic noise.

A very enjoyable stay in a great city.
    • Double or Twin Room

Not entirely happy parking in a multi storey, but really no problem.

The hotel fully met all of my requirements. With parking available right outside in the shopping centre car park, it is very close to the centre, with extremely pleasant and welcoming staff, spacious comfortable rooms, very good breakfast. Hull exceeded my expectations, a fascinating place, enhanced by the art exhibitions that were a primary reason for our visit. Volunteers everywhere, always smiling and helpful, with useful suggestions of restaurants, pubs, and places to visit. Good to hear that the City of Culture status continues for 3 more years. Will come again.

Very good location, right next to a large shopping centre.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Having to pay for parking was a bit of a bummer :/

Very good location, right next to a large shopping centre. We missed breakfast so can’t make comment on that

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

OK for a short stay if you just need the basics.
    • Double or Twin Room

My room was a bit cold. I had to wrap up in my duvet to watch TV in the evening despite trying to change the heating on the control panel. The shower was too high for me and the bathroom very cold. Breakfast was poor. The orange juice was just weak squash and the food not a very high standard.

The room was clean and the bed was comfy.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

I’ve tried other options in Hull including the posh end, but this place meets my needs exactly.

N/a

Room is comfy & all hotel at right temperature. Staff always welcoming & accomodating. Next door to Hull Truck Theatre & St Stephens shopping centre with restaurants, Reel cinema & 24hr Tesco.

Good stay
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Bit loud as night club opposite side but not extreme and can still sleep.

Great location nice staff seemed happy to help and assist whenever. Room was comfy and was clean apart from a few minor bits. Great short term stay with a nice bathroom and bed with little to no issues.

Christmas Shopping Trip
    • Double or Twin Room

Very central to city centre - loads shops nearby recommend walking over Humber Bridge & Visit “The Deep” 4 days parking below hotel =£12 Breakfast better than expected Very comfortable room Great service from staff

Excellent place to stay when exploring Hull
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was bland and the coffee was poor

The staff were welcoming and friendly, facilities were reasonable or good for the price, location was excellent as we traveled by train and arrived late. Pleasant place to stay in Hull

Did the job required - overnight stay before coach trip to Southampton to cruise terminal.
    • Double or Twin Room

Bed was uncomfortable and just a double. King size would have been much better. Noise in room from air/con or heating system. Couldn't sleep for it.

Position very central. Didn't need parking as son dropped us off.

Great friendly weekender
    • Double or Twin Room

The bar could be a little better in atmosphere, but plenty of bars close by

the location is brilliant and breakfast superb for a buffet. I have stayed there about 8 times since I discovered it,

Good value, great location
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast area was busy & a bit cramped with people going back & forth to buffet.

Friendly,efficient check in/out. Plentiful options at breakfast. Weekend car parking was good value £12 over 4 days.Great location for shopping & attractions.