Reviews of Holiday Inn Express London City 3 stars

275 Old Street, Hackney, London, EC1V 9LN, United Kingdom

#482 of 1,031 hotels in London

Based on 2095 hotel reviews

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

Bed was super comfy and all the room facilities perfect room...

See above comment about the awful captive soap dispensers. Otherwise everything was fantastic...

Bed was super comfy and all the room facilities perfect room included an iron and board which I used. Great room wit a bit of space too. But sad to see the wretched captive soap dispensers really does let the standard slip I am afraid.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Near the underground, large and clean room, helpful staff in the lobby. Wish pillows were better.

Pillows were all huge and too firm, despite there being an advertisement on the bed saying pillows can be either firm or soft. Had to request a room heater as room was cold and draughty and the in-room thermostat didn't work. Room was loud, but central London is loud everywhere.

Room was large and comfortable, breakfast was very good. In room coffee and tea and lots of plug points. Guests have use of a tablet for duration of their stay, which allows local calls and has wifi.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Bed was comfortable, pillows both hard and soft, could...
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was very cold, air conditioning could simply not be turned off. I asked for an additional blanket which has been brought to me. Blanket + linen - I had to dress it myself (sheet was torn, blanket was not clean)...unpleasant

Bed was comfortable, pillows both hard and soft, could choose....

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Could of been better

I was told there was good parking facilities at this location. Upon arrival I was asked to use bay 4. I checked bay 4 but there was a black taxi parked in the spot. I then proceeded to ask the driver to move on so I could park for the space I had paid for...only to be rudely confronted and threatened. I ended up waiting nearly 1 hour to move my car from the temporary spot outside the hotel. This then let Tommy dinner reservation being cancelled and kind of ruined my mine and my partners evening. Having paid £40 for a space but not being able to use it is very irritating and not what you expect from a larger establishment of this nature. I would very much appriciate some form of response in regards to this complaint.

The bed was very comfortable, staff friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Brilliant location!
    • Double or Twin Room

Need more mirrors in rooms! Staff a little unfriendly and woke us at 10am to clean the rooms....an hour before check out!!! Sleep is precious!

Brilliant location!

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Good.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The parking situation is horrendous. We had no loca parking nearby so we paid for the hotel parking which was £40 for one night!!! Not good at all. There should be a free car park for hotel guests or atleast something a LOT cheaper. This should also be stated when you book the property so you are aware before hand.

The bed was really comfy. Staff were lovely.

Ok

No restUrant was a big issue after travelling a long way. Also there was no ambience in the bar area.

Staff were very obliging. Lost an earring in room, yet no one seems to have found it.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Great Location - Easy access to Tube Station. Lovely Breakfast. Friendly Staff

The bed was really soft and a little bit lumpy. When you sat on it you sank into it. I prefer a hard bed and I know this can't always be helped - you can't please everyone. The TV also kept losing signal - not ideal when you're at a crucial point in Bake Off

Thanks for changing my room - the first one wasn't very good as it was 1st floor and on the busy road so really noisy. The room on 5th floor was much nicer, especially as a lone traveller it felt a place I didn't mind spending time in.

Good base to explore London

Noisy, I think the hotel must be on top of a nightclub! Bed a bit lumpy but only stayed one night so bearable.

Fabulous breakfast as much as you can eat. And, a good selection of hot and cold choices.

???

Unfortunately when going to bed the mattress had a spring sticking out of the side, which made my nights sleep very uncomfortable, Did mention this when we checked out The following morning, along with the tap in the bathroom needed securing As loose .

Staff where friendly and helpful.

Ok stay. don't expect too much.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room size to small. Was let to believe that breakfast was a good breakfast which is was not. Lack of variety of fruits, no cold items, same as for cereal and breads.

Location. Easily accessible.

So close to the tube and only 2 stops away from any line...

So close to the tube and only 2 stops away from any line you’ll need!! Plus there’s lots of great old buildings in Shoreditch. Check out the Red Dog Pub and have their Fried Buttermilk Chicken. So good!

Friendly staff

Shower room 516. Not a great pressure... very different from room 250

Friendly staff specially reception Gena, Shanoor and Martina. Thank you very much for the extra mile.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Breakfast was quite nasty.

Breakfast was quite nasty. Everything over cooked. Fruit very poor. Fruit juice poor quality. Good selection of tea. Just the option of a fruit salad would have made a huge difference.

Coming from another holiday inn in Paris still holiday inn...
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was free however it was culturally prepared I’m assuming. Not what I would eat for breakfast. But everything look delicious.

Coming from another holiday inn in Paris still holiday inn was 100x better. It’s clean a/c works there was a cell phone available if needed. We arrived supper early however the staff there accommodated us. When we checked out it was a huge time gap however they held our luggage for us that allowed us to sight see more. We took Uber to sites however we walked back not realizing how close it was.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Bed was really soft, and the colleagues were friendly and...

Hardly any parking and quite difficult to find if you're driving. Paying for a tiny parking space was extortionate as well.

Bed was really soft, and the colleagues were friendly and helpful.

Good place to lay your head after a busy day in London
    • Double or Twin Room

I can't really say that there was anything I didn't like

The receptionist was very friendly and helpful on arrival. The room was perfect and clean. Breakfast was very busy but the staff were good and one of them ensured I had a fresh croissant when they came out.

Room looked very well maintained, clean and with a nice...

The quality of the products at the breakfast can be improved. Rather small breakfast area (there can be queues). Noises from the hotel corridor could be heard in the room (hard to sleep until late due to the cleaning in other rooms).

Room looked very well maintained, clean and with a nice design. The bed (and room) was very large compared to other hotels in London. Good sound insulation although room was facing very busy street.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

All good except for the breakfast situation.I'd stay again but make alternative breakfast plans
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast. The food was fine but the queue for breakfast was horrendous.Breakfast facilities should match the amount of people who are staying at the property so the breakfast area needs to be alot larger.You shouldn't have to queue for breakfast

Room was a good size,clean and comfortable with good facilities in the room and staff were lovely

Standard holiday inn, does the job for working.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not great for vegetarian. But happy with croissant, yogurt, fruit and coffee. Parking onsite is not as it seems, it is a few spaces only. I would not call it onsite car parking as advertised. Had to park elsewhere. Hotel was chosen for parking, but had to park elsewhere and could have stayed somewhere closer to that. Bar shuts promptly at midnight, which annoyed a few of the other guests.

Standard holiday inn, does the job for working.

Modern room, comfy bed, good shower.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room smelt of food and body odour when I arrived, which was resolved by staff spraying air freshener. Car park onsite is only a few spaces, I think 9 in total, some are electric charging points only and 2 are disabled, and not really what I would call onsite car parking. Had to park elsewhere which was annoying and unplanned.

Modern room, comfy bed, good shower. Air con worked. It was very hot in London when I stayed!

very nice room fantastic sized queen\king size bed - very...

Was expecting a power shower - both my colleagues enjoyed that facility but unfortunately mine in room 118 wasn't working and the water pressure was a little poor! Parking ability cold be made clearer - on arrival we couldn't get round the back of the hotel which is where it apparently was due to a road closure and when we asked at reception we were told there where some bays at £40 / night

very nice room fantastic sized queen\king size bed - very comfortable

We moved from our original room because the shower leaked on...

We moved from our original room because the shower leaked on the floor, to a new room across the hall. That new room had mattresses that needed replacing and really hurt my back.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Good value for money, a better breakfast would have make it great.

Breakfast was poor, one of the worst I ever had. No cheese, ham or boiled eggs. Only scrambled eggs and sausages and sweets (honey, marmalade and similar).

The location is great, close to the metro with very good connections, good restaurants nearby, also a lot of clubs for who's interested. The staff is also very good and helpful.

Holiday Inn Express London City

Breakfast was crowded with the waitress staff unfriendly. No lift to first floor.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Location. Room and en-suite were large and well appointed. Clean and tidy.

Prudential ride London 100

The staff were amazing, especially Soaada, where nothing was any trouble & the male manger on reception who was very helpful. Spacious room, comfortable bed, fantastic air con, could not fault the hotel.

Prudential Ride London Visit

Unfortunately the weekend was the weekend of Prudential Ride London, Hockey World Cup & height of tourist season, so had to pay premium for our stay.

Staff were extremely helpful, nothing was to much trouble.

Delightful, and exactly as described in your brochure.

Air conditioning in the room.

The breakfast was excellent, room extremely good, and the staff were so polite and helpful. We will certainly use your hotel again.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Pass if you have other options.
    • Double or Twin Room

First of all, the HVAC system was tied to the key card being inserted in the wall, so when I walked in the room was hot and stuffy. I left the spare key in the wall when I went out in hopes the room would cool down, but despite being set at 19C the room never got below 25C all night and was uncomfortable to sleep in. When I complained, the front desk told me the AC was not working in several rooms. There is a small vending area, but no proper shop or restaurant on site.

I selected this hotel because I had an early flight out of Stanstead, and wanted to be close to Liverpool Street Station. The location, on the edge of the City and Shoredithc, is the only thing I would recommend about it, but even then it wasn't close enough for me to be able to walk with my luggage, I still needed a cab to the station.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Not great
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff were quite rude to me, I was at a work event over the road and unexpectedly had to stay an extra night in London. I walked over and asked for a room to which the staff on reception said they were fully booked. I was confused because I’d previously checked online and it stated they had availability. Because I had no other choice, I reserved a room online, went over again to check in to some embarrassed staff who had lied to me before. There was no apology or recognition of their judgement however. I checked into my room, slept and left as soon as possible. Wouldn’t stay again.

Valued stay in London
    • Double or Twin Room

Street noise. If you like more quiet, back side rooms are recommended.

The reception staff kindly accept my request to change the room when I preferred a more quiet room. Housekeeping was always excellent. Breakfast was good enough every morning.

Great location close to Old Street underground station and...

No negatives

Great location close to Old Street underground station and within walking distance of a number of great London markets. Room clean and comfortable with good facilities. We were on the top floor so far enough away from the busy road junction below not to disturb our sleep

Great Location for the even we came for, and nice room a lot...
    • Double or Twin Room

Didn't like having the disabled bathroom, as it make the shower quite small and made a mess in the bathroom. Breakfast wasn't very nice, as it was over crowded and not a lot of options of food available. Price was a lot for just 2 nights.

Great Location for the even we came for, and nice room a lot of space.

It was comfortable, warm, food was good, relatively quiet, clean, staff helpful.
    • Twin Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Not much choice for vegan, room 402 wetroom surprisingly small couldn’t move around freely, had to be careful coming out didn’t scrape the paintwork, toilet very low reminded me of primary school toilets., couldn’t open/close curtains bed in the way.

On major bus route, relatively quiet, breakfast good, staff printed directions for my destinations, locked luggage room

I had

I had one of the worst experience staying here. I reached late in the night and wanted to crash as soon as possible. They gave me a room where AC was not working. I have informed them and they told me to wait. After some time they stopped to pick the phone. I was too tired to complain them any more. Next day when I complaint at reception they told me yes they knew that AC was not working in Room No 237. I was shocked. I have requested them to change my room. They asked me to bring all my stuff and wait, if they will find another room or if any guest will check out they will give me another room. After waiting for some time, I have left. In the evening again when I ask did you change my room, they didn't have any answer. Looks like no one was talking to each other. Finally after long fight they have agreed to changed my room to 552. Probably the worst ever experience I had in staying any of the Holiday INN hotel. For the record I had stayed their from 11th July to 13th July.

Enjoy staying :)

Overall, it's really nice.

The room is nice, the breakfast buffet is really good (also can grab and go). The hotel is close to the underground which made it really easy to find.

It was a good night for you hotel.

Doule bed was so big but the mattras was soft , it was not percect our spine. The bathroom was very nice and comfortabel but the watertrace in the toalet was not enough , it was unpleasant The TV channela was poor....

The room was big and comfortable, and the breakfast as well very good.

Brilliant stay, staff and rooms were great!

Only bad thing I could say which really wasn’t a massive issue was the the lighting was a little dark!

The bed was amazing, the breakfast was lovely and in general was a lovely experience.

Great value for money, with excellent breakfast, decent rooms, speedy WiFi, but poor house keeping.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

House keeping could work better. Firstly they sometimes don't understand english (don't forget that we're in London), secondly they either want to do cleaning fast or don't make it at all.

Excellent breakfast, great WiFi that always works, clean and comfortable rooms.

Great room but if you advertise B & B, please come up with the goods it cost enough.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

We booked B & B at the hotel as we were going to catch the Eurostar train early the following morning and the breakfast facilities were VERY poor. We had to be at St Pancras for 7.30hrs and rolling up for an early breakfast of some description at 06.30 hrs was not on the hotel staffs radar. although, a lovely young woman tried to help but it was a very poor show despite paying for bed AND breakfast.

The room and the facilities were spot on.

Its location!

One of the two lifts wasn’t working for our two night stay. Its a big, busy hotel & this wasn’t good enough! Car parking fees extortionate!

Its location!

Horrendous inn express
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Awful staff with poor attitude and no grasp of proper English. I understand we have foreign workers but i shouldnt have to repeat myself three times just to check in. The breakfast was awful. Everything cold. Like a scrum and no one seating people. One lift was broken. The other messy and on the way out. The nattress in my room was horrendous.

Not much apart from the location was suitable for our plans

Good location and comfy room

Reception staff on check in too busy doing paperwork to actually deal with a customer. When they did they were more interested in persuading me to become a member than checking me in. Insufficient lifts for the building and one was broken so lifts unusable

Good location and comfy room

staff and location were absolutely fine.
    • Double or Twin Room

my room was a handicap-accessible room: wheelchair optimised, so no shower curtain. in general quite simple furnishings. adequate, quite small, not awesome

staff and location were absolutely fine.

"Very nice and comfortable. Staff very helpful."
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

I wish they had a small frig in the room and some drawers to put your clothes in. I made do with two shelves I could use in the room. Night stands were just that, so perhaps they could have been made with drawers in them for your belongings. I would say this was the only down side to a very convenient and comfortable hotel.

The hotel was in an excellent location to our son's flat. The hotel was clean and the staff were more than willing to help you in any way they could. We loved the restaurants in the area and the Sainsbury Market located across the street. We could run out and get want we needed for the day. The hotel breakfast was very enjoyable. For the price and location, it couldn't have been better. We would certainly stay there again.

Slept really well
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

No wine glasses in the room!

Even though the street below was full of party goers at the bar across the street and the road was non stop traffic, I slept soundly and was not disturbed. Obviously very effective double glazing. Great location for Old St tube. Easy check in/out. Spotless room. Super comfy bed/pillows. Great air con.

The rooms were nice and clean, including probably all the...

The breakfast buffet could have been a little more diverse

The rooms were nice and clean, including probably all the possible amenities, including hair dryer, electric iron, electric kettle with coffee/tea and even a mobile phone we could take with us when exploring the city, all free of charge Good location

Very conveniently located and comfortable.

Very clean and comfortable. Excellent air conditioning, great shower. Can't really fault it for under £100! Very close to Old Street tube station and to all the places we wanted to go while we were there.

Good rooms too much noise from local bars.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Lots of noise all through the night not stopping at all but this is just due to location of hotel being in a lively area of london.

Very comfortable beds and good shower

A nice stay and would go back.

The pillows were quite hard and the TV wasn't the best. I also wasn't keen on the room as it was very noisey in the morning but I was awake anyway so not a big deal.

Staff replaced the pillows for me. Friendly and welcoming staff. The free breakfast was great. Clean room etc good experience overall. I'd stay here again.

Room was clean, bed enormous and comfortable.

Room was clean, bed enormous and comfortable. Room right next to road but heard nothing through the night. Breakfast queue in the morning (it was a bank holiday) was dealt with efficiently by staff.

Staff were so friendly and accommodating.

Staff were so friendly and accommodating. Even though they were always ridiculously busy! They never faltered and gave swift service with a smile. Great location. Very clean throughout. Great breakfast included in price too, so that was a pleasant and welcome surprise! Will make this Holiday Inn our main choice when returning to London.

perfect place for sight seeing

no usb charger in room ,The sockets could be changed to USb chargers power sockets even if one of them...breakfast was a bit of of a free for all.

location was just perfect and staff were very helpful

Won’t stay again

Noise , lack of facilities

Bed to soft for me, room was on a very noisy road which wasn’t mentioned by staff at any point , so no sleep at all... won’t be returning to that hotel in future....

Nice stay with good location, comfort environment
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The courtesy of the canteen staff is great, hopefully the reception staff can be more polite, friendly and helpful

If the lighting of the room can be more flextible and separated would be better

Nice staying

The remote control was not working. Maybe there could be more offer for the breakfast.

The bed was cosy. Room was clean and just right warm. Staff was really friendly and they helped us with everything.

basic hotel, not quite value for money

Air condition did not work, water pressure down and we could not take a shower on Saturday- we adressed this with the manager but did not get any help

Bed very comfortable, location great

Enjoyable pleasant experience would stay there again.
    • Twin Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

It was a designated room we’d booked. Being disabled I found the toilet much much too low getting from a wheelchair on and off the seat was a real struggle for me. Apart from that the bathroom was great. Just one other complaint every time you moved on the mattress a spring would boing which was not only noisy but uncomfortable near the edge think it’s about time for a change! It’s a shame as I would have have given top marks as its a great hotel.

The staff were excellent nothing to much trouble. The place was really clean. The breakfast was piping hot and tasty with plenty to choose from, never a problem getting seated. Comfortable seating. I’m disabled and was sorted out with disabled bay close to entrance which I was worried about before leaving home. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it there.

hotel is nice but a little pricey
    • Double or Twin Room

room was on the street side and until midnight there was lots of noise (police, ambulance, traffic)

room was appropriate size, very clean. breakfast was good, one had several options

Everything good, surely a place to come back in future.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that breakfast had no ham or cheese, quite strange for a good continental breakfast (that included also hot dishes)

Everything was good!

Clean comfortable and lovely staff

Lighting especially where the hair dryer and mirror where. I like to sit down in front of mirror to do hair and makeup and need good light.

Bathroom really good shower and towels excellent.

I stayed in the hotel for 4 days.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

I stayed in the hotel for 4 days. The hotel did not clean up my room in one of the days, even I had put the card out of my room indicating to request to tidy up my room. I complained to the receptionist. Nothing could be done and the receptionist promised to give me a formal reply, but nothing was received so far.

Disappointed with cleanliness. Usually a huge fan of this chain.

Upon entering my room I was happy and decided to unpack. I opened the curtain to find a dirty black sock belonging to a previous guest. I also found a black pubic hair near my pillow and a black/brown mark on the sheet when we want to bed later that night.

Upon arrival staff were very friendly and helpful. Good shower

Location was good, very close to station.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The bed was too small, room was old

Location was good, very close to station. Breakfast was below average. The worst of all was the bed ,, too small definitely not for a couple , luckily we only stayed 1 night.

- Perfect location - just few minutes walk from/to tube.
    • Double or Twin Room

Typical (?) english breakfast: no cheese, no ham or similar, no wegetables (like tomato, cucumber and onion), no real bread - just toasts and croissant, baked beans, sausages and scrumbled egg (probably from powder - to homogenous). Well - for me that was not real problem but my wife complained and people accustomed to more "choicy" breakfast may be disappointed.

- Perfect location - just few minutes walk from/to tube. - Free smartphone for local/national calls with built-in tools like guides, maps, hints and so on. THIS WAS EXTRAORDINARY USEFUL.

comfortable, close to transportwith helpfullstaff.

Staff were excellent. Allowed for a very early check in & a very late check out. Breakfast great, bed comfortable & room quiet. Very handy to bus & underground.wifi good.

Good value for money in a trendy location
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The room next to ours was connected by a door, which is great if you are a group of 4 but for us it meant we could hear our neighbours leaving at 6:00 in the morning. I found the pillows quite hard - even though they are advertised as one side soft / one side firm.

The location was great, about a 5 minute walk to Old Street Station and lots of restaurants and bars in the area. The room was very large and well equipped - had a hair dryer, iron and an ironing board.

Clean, comfortable staff very friendly but very Noisy on a Saturday night

The hotel was clean tidy comfortable the staff were friendly, but had a room at the front on the main road on a Saturday night it’s very noisy kept me awake until 3am with music people singing and shouting not very sound proof so not a good start to my Sunday meeting clients, would ask for a room at the rear next time

Just what I needed, A good price and not paying for facilities you never use

next time choose another place

check-in took too long, there was a trainee and she was really slow. also we were confirmed an extra bed before arrival yet reception had no idea about it. staff could have been more professional. there were no deposit box or mini bar in the room

breakfast was ok, a lot of good cafes and restaurants around

Bed was not comfortable.

Bed was not comfortable. I requested a kingsize bed and it was two beds pushed together. We did not sleep properly as we kept falling down the centre of the bed. I explained this to the receptionist the next day and she did not seem at all bothered. I will not be booking with you again.

Great value for the location. Clean, tidy place to get your head down for a no-nonsense stay

Breakfast very busy and disorganised. Maybe one or 2 members of staff to keep things in order.

Excellent value for money hotel with great access to transport links.

The location as well as the price are pretty good however...
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The location as well as the price are pretty good however the noise from the water pipe or something (anyway from the toilet) is pretty annoying especially at night.

Only the position

The flight from Dublin to London was canceled (due to not attributable to me) while advising via booking the hotel charged me the cost of the room. I paid two nights; but I only used the room for one night. When they left, they could not even call me a taxi to go to the airport, they left me without a solution. Never again!

Only the position

Excellent Trip
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Excellent hotel honestly it was my 1st time I have tried budget holiday inn express and found it more than my expectation. we booked the room with Sofa bed, which is also very comfortable and provide a complete double bed. I recommend this hotel and I will defiantly stay again. Hotel staff is super friendly my check in time was 2 PM I arrived with kids at 11 AM thanks to staff to give us room early.

Enjoyable

Breakfast area could be been laid out more fluidly to stop going backwards and forwards to get things

Considering the location and how busy the hotel was, it was very quiet and peaceful.