Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Redditch 3 stars

2 Hewell Road, Redditch, B97 6AE, United Kingdom

#3 of 7 hotels in Redditch

Nice stay for 1 night
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Person that checked us in was not welcoming or friendly.

Room comfy and clean. Good shower. Nice size room with a sofa. Bar staff friendly and chatty. Food very nice and service was good.

good breakfast with fresh orange juice,, comfy bed,,
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The reason I put POOR at the top was because although I paid cash on arrival you still took £85 from my card! which I now have to wait for it to be credited back to my account,,

good breakfast with fresh orange juice,, comfy bed,,

Basic location, site, room and staff - but did the job for the price.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

When we arrived, reception didn't have our booking. We don't know whether this was the fault of booking.com or the hotels, but our minds were not put at ease by the staff. There was a small apology after a rather large delay and in all honesty, it would have been nice to have been offered a small compensation for our time and trouble as it was not our mistake.

The bed was really confortable

Plenty of parking even arriving at 23.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Plenty of parking even arriving at 23.00 hrs. Staff efficient. Nice clean room, comfortable bed. Air conditioning on, and good setting. Good choice of self service breakfast in the morning.

Good price including breakfast.

Air conditioning was noisy and needed to be on as there were no opening windows.

Good price including breakfast. Good location for the railway and bus stations.

Brilliant, will be staying again on our next trip.

There was only two staff working on Saturday night who were trying their best to be on reception, man the bar and serve in the restuarant.

The breakfast was nice with a good variety. A really comfortable bed and good shower. Wifi and freeview on the tv in the bedroom. Nice clean and modern room and bathroom. Really nice food in the restuarant.

comfortable and clean

breakfast no veggie ,had towait 20 mins , we could have pre ordered if we new

matthew very helpful from desk sorted our room and inital probs with the electricfob

BRILLIANT

NOTHING IT IS PERFECT.

WE HAVE ALWAYS STAYED HOLIDAY INN REDDITCH AND YOU HAVE NEVER LET US DOWN. EXCELLENT STAFF SUPPORTING AN EXCELLENT HOTEL CHAIN. WELL DONE.

Average, suited my purpose but overpriced
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The atmosphere, not overly friendly staff none of which engaged.

Average Hotel suitable for the business traveller, if travelling for leisure 1/2 nights would be sufficient. Limited Breakfast but what was available was fresh and good.

reception told us we could claim Vat at the airport.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

reception told us we could claim Vat at the airport. Just go and fill in the forms. Can't do, can only claim with a special receipt supplied by company.

Excellent!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The clearing of tables at breakfast. If you don't hold on to something, it will be removed!! Again, no baps to make own baconbap which is advertised on each table.

Room was good and breakfast was good.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Asked for a double room - sent to a twin room. Went back to reception as I thought it was just a mistake to be told I had booked a twin/double room. I showed my booking where it was confirmed that I had booked a double room but the person on reception denied this. Then he said there were none left. I then asked for a refund and he muttered under his breath something. Spent 10-15 minutes with the computer then back into another room and then he gave me a key to a double room. Why was I told there wasn't a double room if I was then given a double room?

Room was good and breakfast was good.

never again
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Ok so I paid them 89 then an extra 50 when I got there so that's 139 I paid and that would leave 252 left to pay amd I went up to the desk loads of times to try to pay and they kept telling me it was 391 to pay and I told them I'd already paid 139 but they wouldn't listen and they spoke to each other in there own language and when I tried to talk to them they'd just ignore me and pretend I wasn't there this happened loads of times and housekeeping was horrible I went without loo roll for days and clean towels they never even emptied my bins or took the rubbish so I had a big pile by the last day and completey stressed me out

The shower was the best part

Very comfortable stay
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

the hot chocolate as was very watery.

The breakfast was nice and room very comfortable. We requested a late checkout and it was honoured which was nice.

Pleasantly surprised!
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The breakfast coffee was a bit weak. Otherwise, everything was fine!

Well-designed rooms, well-thought out facilities and amenities. Everything the traveller needs, nothing unnecessary, unusable or in the way.

Could not eat the breakfast cause it was too fatty, other than that it is good.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was extremely unhealthy. Cheap fatty salty bacon meat, cheap fatty sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans. Perfect combination for heart attack. No vegetables, chicken or fish.

Location , room, service

I've stayed there a few times now and will do again.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Ran out of pastries and muffins in breakfast and they weren't replaced.

Comfy bed. Choice of hard or soft pillows. Next to train station to Birmingham. Next to main bus station and shopping centre. Pubs, cinema and restaurants within 5 minutes' walk.

Beck.ing a regular
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

I'm be coming quite a regular to this hotel. As always very friendly warm welcoming staff, happy to help in anyway. Room a comfortable and clean. I this occasion I came wuth my children, sofa bed already made up and plenty if clean towels left for us. The breakfast as always excellent and plenty if croissants this time.

Awful, what do you expect when you get no sleep!
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The room was a disgrace. I was put in a disabled room without any warning. It was like sleeping in a lighthouse. How the hell are you expected to sleep with those lights on. When I asked for a move the receptionist couldn't have been more disinterested.

Really goid just more attention on bathrooms
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The property was beautuful , staff excellent. Hairs in shiwer and towel had obviously been used befire last guest left . I understand it was pribs hard to miss cos make up on bottom corner. But other than that it was a lovely stay xx

Beautifully run

Adequate
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The breakfast was very poor , not enough food was cooked for the amount of guests, no bacon and no pastries. Cups and glasses were not replenished whilst at breakfast, had long wait to have a cup of coffee, and no glasses for orange juice, was informed they were in dish washer so waited and waited. Complaints to staff fell on deaf ears

Bed very comfortable !

Enjoyed the stay and ready for the day ahead
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Not enough information in the room. There wasn't much choice on the evening menu and what was on the menu was expensive

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.The breakfast was freshly cooked and hot plus there was a continental breakfast if preferred very enjoyable

Good hotel, reception staff, clean comfortable room but such a shame about our breakfast experience

The breakfast experience which was appalling. Had to wait almost 15 minutes for a table, granted the hotel was busy, but there should be enough tables to cater for a full hotel. Once seated we found there were no cups for tea and coffee & no glasses for fruit juice as apparently the dishwasher had broken down. On the food front there were no plates left, no baked beans, muffins or croissants either. The remains cooked items were certainly not hot enough to eat, Luke warm at best. Far too few staff on to deal with any issues from customers. We arrived for breakfast just on 9am and as it was being served till 10.30am it was a very poor show. The guests in the queue before us were told to get there breakfasts on a tray and go and eat in the conference room. So disappointed, considering the rest of our stay was more than adequate.

The receptionist Isabella is her name if I remember correctly. Extremely pleasant, welcoming and informative.

Nice budget hotel, go for breakfast early to avoid disappointment.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Breakfast area is far to small to cater for all the guests, we had no problems but there were a lot of people who did during our stay.

This hotel is modern, clean and in a good location.

First bad experience at this hotel.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Room wasn't cleaned, we had to ask for bins to be emptied. Breakfast was ok but limited choice for vegetarians and no croissants left on both mornings. Air conditioning was very hit and miss one minute it was boiling hot the next freezing cold.

Location was great everything we needed was close by.

Pleasant overnight stay with excellent breakfast.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Wi-fi signal not very strong.

Room was very comfortable. Nice to have individual heat control. Breakfast was excellent with good choices, quantity and quality. Accommodated request for later checkout.

We had an evening meal which was less than satisfactory.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We had an evening meal which was less than satisfactory. The waitress didn’t understand English and returned to our table to check our order 4 times! The lasagne tasted like it had come from Asda rather than cooked from scratch! The breakfast was ok but I’ve had nicer breakfasts in different holiday inn’s. The bacon was half cooked and could’ve done with a further 6/7 mins in the oven. Not what I expected at all! Staff on check out asked me to score the hotel at at least 7 as anything below was a bad rating for them! Shocking!!!!!

Perfectly satisfactory.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Restaurant was absolutely freezing cold. A "Standard Double Or Twin Room" doesnt mean you have the choice of a double or twin room. It means they will give you whatever they have left.

Bed very comfortable. Staff attentive Breakfast included Car Parking included

Very good apart from the dog situation
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Dog sat on settee in lounge area. Do not like dogs in public areas of hotels specially taking up a whole settee . PLEASE address this with the management.

Quietness, cleanliness, car parking, friendliness of staff, price and vegetarian breakfast.

Great position, comfortable and reasonable
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Couldn’t get anything to eat at a few minutes past 10pm when we arrived, though to be fair the staff said we could have ordered a take-away. The shower was great, nice and powerful, and a hand-held shower head which I always prefer. Pity they went with a shower curtain, messy things, not a glass shower door Poor lighting over the mirror in the bathroom, and dimmed everywhere else in the room, so not good for applying make-up. A swivel magnifying mirror would have been helpful too

Lovely shower Clever idea to use the bathroom door to flip back as a door to the toilet, so 2 can use the bathroom at once

Great comfortable rooms and fantastic price.

Limited menu for evening meal as they were changing the menu the following week.

Great comfortable rooms and fantastic price. We stayed for crufts good location about a 20minute drive from the NEC. Food was also good.

Very pleased with this hotel

Very clean and everyone was very helpful. Lovely simple breakfast and was in a great location for us going to Crufts. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Will stay again

Never stayed in holiday inn before. Staff helpful and friendly. Clean. Dogs welcone a bonus as came for Crufts. Parking safe and easy. All round great experience

Comfortable and relaxed
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Room was spacious and very clean. Comfortable bed and cosy douvet. Good facilities, bar and restaurant. Excellent value for money. Not too far away from Crufts at NEC

The breakfast was very poor.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was very poor. Dry bread rolls, sausages only cooked on one side, dried scrambled egg and no decent vegetarian option such as veggie sausage or some mushrooms.

Overnight stay to attend old school friends funeral. You did ask why here.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hardly a complaint but restaurant was cold as had no door closing it off from hotel external doors constantly opening/closing. Weather outside was exceptionally cold and staff thought a mention may help them. If we mention it then HI may carry out alterations. They have to work in those conditions, we just pack and exit.

Room spacious, warm & comfortable with facilities to make hot drinks (it was minus 6 outside). Good sized restaurant for breakfast with ample hot & continental fare. Dined out in the evening. Conveniently close to M42 junction.

Excellent value
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I don't find net curtains attractive from inside or out, especially in the dining area. Both entrances had smokers loitering which isn't very welcoming and I noticed one ground floor room had to open a window directly onto this area.

Convenient close location for town centre. Secure parking and could see car from room. Think it was fairly new so not tired looking. En suite door that closed against two frames to separate toilet from wash area.

Comfortable with a great breakfast

Liked it all!

Clean and comfortable room, breakfast was excellent,food was well presented tasty and above all HOT ! Service was ok, no problems, warm and helpful, Not sure what people expect? Great value would return no problem!

Not recommended
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Thee bed was hard, pillows lumpy, food disappointing and very little choice. Room was cold as air con not working. Heater was provided.

Good location, but cold room, hard bed, lumpy pillows

Everything we wanted, including a great breakfast, for just one night at a great price.

Only one chair for two people not a good idea as not everyone can sit on a bed comfortably.

Beds were very comfortable and blue light in bathroom a great idea. The breakfast was great and the evening meal and service excellent also. Never been before but will be returning in a month's time.

Pleasant staff, clean hotel, plenty of parking, short...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the soft pillows were hard, the walls were paper thin, I had to complain to staff regarding rowing from a neighboring room through the night, but the staff had no problem relocating me to another floor for a bit of peace!

Pleasant staff, clean hotel, plenty of parking, short distance to town centre

Great night's sleep.
    • Twin Room - Disability Access

Don't fix what ain't broke!

Being disabled I have stayed here before because its bathrooms are perfect for me. This time was no different and, as before found the Staff, location and facilities very good.

Comfy bed and nice bar area
    • Double Room - Disability Access

I stay at holiday inn hotels all over UK for work usually three times per month. I’m sorry to say this is the worst one I have ever stayed in!... room cold, stained sofa bed, waited over an hour for dessert. No croissants at breakfast, poor WiFi, v bright green light on in the room all night, two very disengaged staff... (although one staff member was really nice) Was initially going to book a 2nd night and was quoted £70 to an hour later to be told £90... has decided against staying another by then. On check out was asked to rate my stay and gave 6/10 to be told if I changed it to 8/10 I would be given club points! This hotel is not the usual holiday inn quality!

Comfy bed and nice bar area

Average
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Full of groups of lads the room I was given there was an adjoining door. A group of lads had the room next to me and kept banging the door all night shouting

Location was good

overall really good value for money
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

not enough staff on, our poor waitress who was lovely, was alone dealing with almost a full restaurant ! the sofa in the room was stained which wasn't very pleasant, wouldn't have wanted to use it !

breakfast excellent, and lovely friendly waitress and very helpful receptionist

I have stayed here on many occasions and will continue to do so
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The sausages were not to my taste and some fried tomatoes or mushrooms would be the icing. The non fried breakfast presentation was otherwise worthy of a much higher priced hotel

The bed linen and duvets were absolutely excellent

Room had everything we needed and the staff were fantastic...

I liked everything.

Room had everything we needed and the staff were fantastic as we needed an iron and they were able to give us one with no problem.

Hotel excellent. Sort out the stupidly high bar prices and you are really on to a winner here.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Bar prices extortionate for a 3 star hotel. We would have had drinks in the bar, but on finding out how much they would cost we took our own up to the room. Crazy prices - higher prices than any other hotel that I have stayed in, in the last 12 months. Shame because they lost bar business. Asked about cost of a bottle of Prosecco - cheap stuff in shops and they wanted £30!!! Medium glass of bog standard red wine was £7.15. Not even great quality.

Satisfing

Not enough staff for the people in the hotel. They had a list of people coming and should have staffed for it. The man on the desk did nearly everything.

So clean and tidy.

A nice clean hotel with pleasant staff but lacking some comforts
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Bedrooms are always cold despite putting the heating up to 26 degrees. Fan goes all night unless you remove the room key (controls lights & fans). And the breakfast is fairly sparse, particularly for a vegetarian - I can only eat so much scrambled eggs & beans!

Pleasant and friendly staff, comfy beds

3day is not enough
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very basic English breakfast I missed tomatoes and mushrooms. Air-conditioning in winter didn't help first night, so freezing but as soon as I reported it was fixed.

Good communication with train station. Nice and efficient staff. Food from menu it was excellent, relation between price quality and amount. WiFi in second floor very good. I would back for sure.

Stay regularly however very unhappy my room number was given...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Stay regularly however very unhappy my room number was given out at reception. Noone knew i was staying at the hotel and i had a knock on the door waking me gone 11pm from an abusive male. Complained to reception at the time and was told this would be logged to manager in the morning however it wasnt. Nothing was done

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, we would recommend this hotel.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Nothing to complain about at all.

Breakfast options were all you could ask for, freshly prepared and varied with choices for all tastes and palates. Being a self service buffet style it was relaxed yet efficient.

Would not stay there again as Redditch has better places to stay.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Noisy air conditioning! Very Poor breakfast - scrambled egg was tasteless, more like water mixed with egg powder; Inedible bacon, so tasteless and thick it was impossible to even cut let alone bite; no decaf tea; porridge in a carton one had to mix with water!!!

Comfortable bed

Served it's purpose.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The prices of drinks at the bar. The air con seemed to be on even though it was snowing outside so it was too cold to sit in the bar area.

the room was a nice size. The breakfast was nice even though they were understaffed due to bad weather.

Great location.A good deal with breakfast
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

The check in .He was the manager but didn't tell us anything except that there would be no dining room open that evening.the weather was so bad to go out we had nothing to eat!🙁

Cost as needed to be near Alexandra hospital at short notice because of heavy snow.the breakfast

Clean
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

there was very cold cuz the heater stopped working after the first night. Big problem with access card. Everyday I had problem to get in to my room. Very sad

Clean

Excellent stay. clean, spacious..room. Warm room... Just need extra tea/coffee /milk.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Only few tea bags and milk so couldnt have drink when arriving back at hotel at night.Would be better to have few extra.

Food excellent, good choice. Only thing plates cold need to be warmed so food stays hot..

The bed was very comfortable.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Since my last stay a year ago green lights have been put into the ceilings of every room. A health and safety measure so that you can see if there is an emergency in the middle of the night. The light is unpleasant and enough to disturb sleep. These lights cannot be turned off. I will not return to this hotel without a roll of black masking tape.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was super clean. I was able to make tea and coffee in the room. The TV worked fine. The breakfast buffet has never been good in this hotel, but I found that the quality is better than it was and the staff were friendly.

Positive review
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

I liked everything about the property. I have no complaints.

I liked everything about the property. Clean and comfortable rooms and convenient location.

Good value clean hotel close to Redditch train station and town centre
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Not much really to report here. Maybe the the green light by the door that you can’t turn off at night. It was too bright.

Value for money. Clean and modern. Breakfast included. Never seen a ‘build your own breakfast bap’ station before. Yeh we will use this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Fine for the cost, but not exceptional
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

A/C would not switch off and kept me awake all night

Room was clean and fine but the A/C would not switch off and kept me awake all night. Breakfast was adequate but no fried/poached/boiled eggs available, only scrambled eggs & beans for a vegetarian not a great hot selection.

Brilliant- would come back.
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

There could not have been any improvement that could be made. The only downside was it was further away from my destination than anticipated.

The room was well furnished and comfortable. The staff were friendly, and the breakfast was excellent and plentiful.

ideal location for drivers rest.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff refused to let my driver pay cash saying that it wasn't a valid payment method, after I had already contacted them via phone to discuss payment with them and they had confirmed they could take a cash payment on arrival. Then they took a £50.00 cash deposit off him which they did return to him on check out but it was very inconvenient. The staff were very unhelpful and rude during the evening. The day time staff were much nicer and said they couldn't understand the fuss the previous night.

ideal location for drivers rest.

Overall good standard
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A complete review on the breakfast

Breakfast was poor quality. Cheap overdone sausage. Bacon not cooked correctly which is a shame as the bacon was of good quality. Not sure how it’s cooked but to improve it should be grilled Scramble eggs watery and no flavour Beans ok

Disappointed by the staff. Hotel was nice.

The staff. The hotel was paid for upfront by our head office so we could just check in and check out easily, however a hotel 'policy' that our head office wasn't forewarned about made this difficult, they also slowed us down leaving the hotel so we were late for our meeting in the morning.

Staff were rude and embarrassed us in front of other customers. Made us wait while our room was checked without an explanation, that's never been done to us before and we felt like we'd done something wrong.

The beds are very comfortable and Rooms very clean .

Bathroom was very cold no heating......room was cold.......breakfast staff too grumpy

The beds are very comfortable and Rooms very clean ..lovely front desk staff

Reasonable hotel but poorly organised.

Booking was incomplete- took nearly 45mins to register as they hadn’t got any reference for my second room. I was told I was ‘lucky’ as there had been a cancellation. Not a sorry we’ll sort it out for you! Breakfast was a constant session of asking for basic things (can I have a cup please, can I have a glass please, is there any cutlery coming please, are there any more baked-beans please, is there any more fruit please...). Staff were pleasant enough but why did we need to ask.

Loved it! Would definitely stay again and highly recommend staying here.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The choice of decent quality eating places within walking distance was poor and disappointing. The town centre is rather rough and ready and I was left feeling distinctly unimpressed with Redditch.

Lovely stat as always at Holiday Inn Express. Lovely clean hotel with friendly staff. Rooms simple but adequate with a great shower and comfy bed. Lovely breakfast! Excellent value for money.

We book several rooms through booking.

So far nothing.

We book several rooms through booking.com and our guests are satisfied with this property, however I would recommend reserving directly through the hotel, you might be able to get a better deal.

I would definitely stay there again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A choice of cooked eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes with the breakfast.

Hotel had excellent parking. Excellent location to town centre. Hotel was spotlessly clean, bed very comfortable and staff extremely helpful.

Totally ripped off and dubious working practices
    • Twin Room - Disability Access

They are a disgrace of a hotel. Firstly they took my money as soon as I booked the room. Secondly we were told on arrival that the restaurant was closed. Thirdly I got home to an email saying that they had taken an extra payment of £25 as they had found a mark on the sheets

The restaurant wasn't even open for our evening meal

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Friendly, helpful staff. Spacious clean room with an amazing bathroom. Great breakfast included. Lovely shopping mall within 5mins walk Highly recommend

Hotel excellent breakfast poor
    • Double Room with Sofa Bed

Expensive for what there was. Vegetarian , so scrambled egg and beans was whole choice could have had tomatoes and mushrooms. Scrambled egg not good

Great shower. Good position to walk into Redditch to meet family

Very good. Now first choice for hotel stays in future
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Either the air con or a fan was on all night. Probably a way of turning it off though. Having a partition door between the room and the one next door. Would have preferred the room to be separate.

The overall look and feel. Felt like an expensive hotel but wasn't. Breakfast was better than other hotels.