Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Norwich 3 stars

Norwich Sports Village, Drayton High Road, Norwich, NR6 5DU, United Kingdom

#16 of 21 hotels in Norwich

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The window didn't open and a funny smell was coming through the air vents, I needed fresh air, even if the window opened a little bit , there would of been no problems. I stayed on the ground floor.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was not enough variety for vegetarians at the breakfast

This is our preferred hotel when visiting our daughter in UEA. The bed is comfortable and the buffet breakfast is desirable enough!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Comfortable, spacious room with all facilities and the added bonus of air conditioning. Breakfast good although a little limited on choice. Staff all friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

No safe /fridge and lack of cupboard space shower has a mouldy curtain water pours over the shower tray onto floor -

Beds and pillows were comfortable staff were friendly and helpful

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

the property was close to where I was going an my reason for visiting Norwich,

just loved how loud the doors were even when you tried to close quietly that an the fact the outta guest were so loud in the corridor an the walls either side of my room which one side was a connecting room an the guest tried to open hhhmmm, we didn't really have a great nights sleep. what genius perks no one told me there were genius perks.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We did have an issue with the sofa bed being broken but a member of staff came up within a couple of minutes and help us move to another room. The rooms are very comfortable. Great location. Great breakfast. Friendly helpful staff. Would definitely stay here again!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Ants in my room. Threadbare Carpet with a hole in. Place smelt like an old people’s home. Needs a fresh coat of pain and some new carpets. The real holiday inn by the Airport was much better. Colour scheme is old and dated wouldn’t take much to tidy up.... My room wasn’t as clean as I would have hoped for as in pictures and Ants.

Location and staff.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The scaffolding outside the window which we weren’t told about until we arrived! I asked reception twice for an iron and board which they said I could collect from reception when they called! Needless to say the never called

The room was ok

• Standard Double or Twin Room

My room had large windows,but no opening to let air the in and David Lloyds is next door and I mean the next room. The loud music and weights being dropped does not make for a relaxing evening with the tv having to be turned up to drown out the noise. early morning wake up, again David Lloyds next door and the loud music and weights being dropped.

The staff are friendly and really helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The soap in the shower and bathroom. Would be far nicer as individual bottles. Needs more car parking

The staff were very helpful and friendly Breakfast was good Place was very clean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Through adjacent building the fire alarm was set off at 7:20am.. where I appreciate this is no fault of the hotels.. from getting to sleep at 4am to be woken so early. After attempting to go back to sleep.. then to be woken by note being ruffled under the door to apologise for the fire alarm. I accept this was an unfortunate incident

The convience and location of the facility, the staff were friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I didn’t enjoy the cooked breakfast. My sausage was cold in the middle and the bacon hard and difficult to cut. Also not everyone likes scrambled eggs me included poached or fried or boiled should be an option I think.

Room and bed comfy shower gel dispenser quite hard to pump though.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Our only criticism is that the beds are too soft so neither of us slept particularly well. There are no obvious places nearby for dinner so eat before you arrive or be prepared to go into Norwich.

I booked late so may have missed any offers on room prices. The hotel is straightforward and functional but offered what we wanted. Breakfast being included was nice given the ridiculous prices some hotels want for breakfast these days. Easy to find location and easy parking.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

No fresh air in room; aircon not working until activated at reception; only 2 tea bags in room; drinks, crisps, nuts expensive; Sky TV only in reception and not in room.

Beds comfortable; breakfast very nice

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Was disgusted to get a parking fine after providing them with my car registration details, apparently there's a problem with their system and the fine has apparently been rescinded but a lot of agro I could have really done without whilst trying to sort it all out whilst on holiday!

Hotel was fine

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The sofa bed in the room was so uncomfortable and badly constructed we decided to pull the cushions off and slept on the floor for two nights instead.

Breakfast was good and staff were helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The beds as I asked for a double

I booked for a double bed and got 2 single beds and then when I asked for a double duvet for sent me a single one and in the morning the cleaner walked in on my partner coming out the shower

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

View was of very dirty flat roof. Carpet badly stained.

Reception staff very helpful. Slept well. Breakfast nice. Was able to use pool next door for a fee.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Card system for unlocking the doors. Woken up in the middle of the Friday night/ Saturday morning to hear a female member of staff assisting another guest with trying to unlock their room. Comforting as clearly not just my inexperience with the system.

Staff were helpful when I was unable to operate the card system for unlocking the room door.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The extremely noisy guests on our level which were noisy from 8pm onwards including throughout the night. The smell of damp on the upper levels and the damp all up the walls in the stairwells. Location to city centre is good but boy racers and their cars around the car parks were keeping my son awake The staff memeber draining the excess water from the scrambled eggs at 7.10am was off putting and i did not want to eat them at all. The toaster, although automatic,was set too high as the toast was burnt

The choice of firm or soft pillows

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room climate control was locked at 21degrees. When requested this was unlocked however was faulty and even when turned up to 24 deg it was still blowing out cold air. Had to ask a change of room for second night. Did however get refund a nights stay so this balanced up my view overall

Good location on outskirts however visitors to the fitness centre next door take up many of the parking places which is annoying if you arrive between certain times (eg after 5).

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The restaurant in the evening was quite cold but it is surrounded by large windows and it was snowing outside! The hot food for breakfast particularly the eggs and beans could have been hotter. Putting them then on to cold plates does not help. The sausages were very hot so something works?

Room was clean and beds very comfy. Bathroom very clean. Breakfast had excellent choice and variety to say it was included in the price. Coffee was lovely! I requested a quiet room top floor and at the end of a corridor and it is the first time I have EVER had such a request met. So impressed!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff were amazing, helpful and friendly! I hurt my knee a few weeks ago and the staff helped me so much by providing me with lots of ice to help the swelling after my night out. Nothing seemed to much bother.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

However the carpet in our room had stains

Hotel was good. However we only stayed one night. We got there after 10pm and left before 12 noon. We had breakfast which was good. For 3 start hotel it was good.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The heating did not work when I arrived in room 112 I then complained to the reception they said it would be looked at while we we out, when we returned the room was still cold I went back to the reception and complained again, Breakfast was cold

Not much to say about it

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The bed was uncomfortable 😣 and the breakfast was pretty poor. Only got drinks but not suitable for my children who would have orange anywhere else. No pastry’s or fruit salad. I don’t eat meat or cereal so was left with a plate of scrambled egg and a banana in its skin which I could have got from Asda next door. Not very well equipped.

The room was a great size and layout. All was very clean and well designed. Bathroom was lovely. Staff were great and always happy and helpful.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room seemed a bit tired altho a reasonable size for a night, but the bed was not that comfy and Saturday night was awoke with noise from a police raid.

The breakfast was ok bacon and sausage was a bit over done but there was other bits to have

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Not the best view from the window but we were only there for one night in winter and we could close the curtains. The only real downside to our stay was the noise from the Sunday morning exercise class which started in David Lloyd next door around 9am. Okay if you are up and about early but we'd planned a relaxed morning and late breakfast and it was impossible to ignore, so effectively 'drove' us from our room earlier than anticipated due to the unpleasant reverberation - particularly in the bathroom for some reason. This HIE is away from the town centre so expect to travel into the city for nightlife.

Choice of pillows was good, along with room heating and cooling controls [our window didn't open at all so I guess that's going to be a must in the summer]. Staff very helpful, friendly and professional but nicely unobtrusive. Everything clean and geared to making your stay hassle free. Breakfast buffet great with plenty to choose from - all very fresh and tasty. Fruit compote available with fresh yogurt and even Marmite [I love it!]. Option for late breakfast or even breakfast on the go and nice bean to cup coffee. Hotel located next to Asda if needed and David Lloyd leisure centre - sadly we didn't get chance to take check out or take advantage of the facilities at the latter.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Our room was very cold.. The bed far too soft. Had backache

The location was nice, supermarket and Wetherspoons within walking distance. The hotel itself was clean and welcoming.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Left a letter in my room by mistake and they wouldn't send it on to me , they said it would be left in lost property for collection ??? I explained i wouldn't be going back to norwich any time soon, but they wouldn't post it on without payment , the price of a stamp for gods sake, inexperienced staff have lost my business for good, absolutely no good will , unbeleivable

You felt like you couldn’t even speak, doors should be sound prove. 50 fine for apparently making too much noise at 11pm. Sofa Bed was broke. Shower wasn’t that good. Staff were not very approachable. Took money out of my account for being loud before speaking to me or warning me ( could of made me go overdrawn) when it was my friends not me.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Just add Soya milk to the breakfast bar.

The staff were responsive to all requests, friendly & considerate at all times. Gluten free provision at breakfast was outstanding.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Shower curtain was dirty. Eggs for breakfast seemed like powdered egg? The same as the previous stay and no hash browns. Sausages were lower quality than before, less meat content.

Customer Service from shift manager was great. I have visited before over the last few years and in the last year he has become stronger in his role. well done and thank you.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the parking very small spaces good job I only got a little car not only that but I now have to sort out a £100 pound fine because the car I drive is in my partners name which I am named as the other driver on our insurance an I stayed there alone this should be looked into further because I booked the hotel in my name so really not happy about this as under alot of stress right now so it is not needed at all hence why I stayed there to have time to myself only to now have to phone people to not pay the £100 just because my car is in my partner name. Need to take this in to consideration when people are booking in maybe they should ask this question is the car in your name then i could of said it would save alot of bother for your costumers who stay.

Over all happy but didnt think breakfast had alot to offer where when I've stayed in other hotels had full English breakfast.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The meal was not accecpted cold to long to wait as only 2 other people waiting staff not really interested when asked for refund the looks would kill.

Yes good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was very cold and smelled strongly of damp. The heating did not work. The breakfast was terrible. The juice was very watery and the food tasted awful.

The bed was comfy and the location was great for me. I came to Norwich for an interview and the hotel was just two minutes away from the interview location. The reception staff were welcoming and friendly. The shower was great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Coffee machine didn’t work at breakfast. Breakfast was limited choice,no fried eggs!

Very clean and businesslike. Comfortable beds. Nice shower room.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The sofa bed was a bit stained

The room was a nice size very warm and the bed was very comfortable, the breakfast was very good my husband especially liked the scrambled eggs

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The type and nature of my business is sensitive with tight deadlines that must be adhered to, this require myself and a colleague to work 12 hr shifts ( 7am - 7pm) Saturday & Sunday , as such when the rooms were booked quiet rooms were requested to ensure a good nights sleep, unfortunately from 2.00am Sunday morning myself and my colleague had no sleep, we were woken by shouting , knocking on our doors and general drunken behaviour , you can imagine it was a long day Sunday. Upon reporting this to reception they stated a group of young lads were staying in the room opposite for the Saturday night. Although I appreciate the Hotel cannot judge guests behaviour by age and appearance where was the logic in siting a group of young lads directly opposite guests who had requested quiet rooms , lets be honest a group of young lads staying in a Hotel on a Saturday night aren't intending an early night ready for church the next morning.

The Hotel was in a central location and close to where I was working , the added bonus being no restrictions on parking , specifically vehicle size which can be an issue. The rooms were modern , clean and tidy.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was basic coffee from machine was awful, why do hotels use machines for coffee? Shower was weak

room was basic but comfy, close to supermarket.

During my booking I was told that I will pay on checking in. But to my surprise my account was debited on the next day which was 2 days before check in day. That was misleading.

All staff very friendly, pleasant and professional. The hotel was very clean. Breakfast was good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing I can think of. A bit of modernisation and re decoration could help but as I said above - only cosmetic. For the price I paid great value.

This was a last minute booking - great value = great location and with breakfast incloded just what I was looking for. Great selection at Breakfast - friendly staff. The whole hotel is a little 'Tired' My room had hooks loose/missing, and the staircase had worn carpet. The TV kept locking out so needed to be turned off and re booted.....Air con/heater is a little noisy in the room I was in so to get some sleep I needed to switch it off. I know these are cosmetic - but if you look through that - Great Bathroom - Tidy clean and well stocked. Comfy Bed. Great location with plenty of parking - there is a large ASDA on the other side of the car park for anything you need or have forgotten.... also with a petrol station.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Mouldy windows, heating system didn't work. It was raining and a lot of water ended on the window sills. Creaky light above bed. Some idiot doing handbrake turns in Asda car park. Thank God it was only 1 night. Over priced

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was very cold even after ringing down to reception by the time we left for the evening and even when returning still cold, ( not offered any extra heating) bedding seemed only suitable for the summer ( again no additional bedding ) felt cold coming in through window, Heavy rain during the night and quite noisy - next morning realised there had been left a tin of pain and bowl out on balcony which the rain was bouncing off. This was all mentioned the receptionist when checking out, we did get an apology but doesn't really help.

Friendly staff, clean large room & bathroom facilities suitable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Easy to find. Comfortable beds soft pillow. Food available in little restaurant though pub within walking distance. Easy parking ASDA supermarket close by.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I phoned the week before to book a courtesy car from the airport when my flight got in at night. I left the flight number in case we should be late in. The plane was late and there was no body there. If traveling to or from the airport arrange your own transport. The taxi firm on the airport web page is excellent. Also as I was leaving early in the morning I asked for a wake up call, I was informed that the call system was untrustworthy by the receptionist and to use the television. Shame there were no instructions and when I finally unravelled it the television did come on but no sound or picture. I did wake up on time for my flight

The bed was comfortable and it was not far from the Airport, which is what I required. Close to a cash point at ASDA and a bus stop where there are regular buses into Norwich. It was very quiet so sleeping was fine. Breakfast is fine if you are there during the times they are open.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Pillows comfy, friendly staff, extra helpful, smoking room available which is perfect for me and my partner who smoke, also away from other non smoking guests!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The scrambled eggs were nice at breakfast. It would have been nice to get something to eat when we arrived. We arrived around 4 in the afternoon.Special occasion in Norwich. Booked in August 2017 but told we had last available double which was a disabled room. We did get a reduction but it spoilt it for me.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Minor things-Shower curtain was tired, broken hairdryer left in room, room was very cold when we arrived.

Breakfast choice was varied and of good quality. Overall cleanliness was good.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

I needed a disabled parking space which I found but it was narrow as I have to fully open my door, the showerhead in the bathroom continually slipped making it awkward to shower comfortably

the room was comfortable and clean, staff friendly, breakfast adequate

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Could be a wider variation of food for the breakfast like tomatoes and mushrooms and trays available to take food to the tables. What was there was good! Also need to upgade the entrance to bedrooms. The card didn't always work

Food and the room on the ground floor. Plenty of car parking and closeness of the bus stop into Norwich. Hotel very quiet location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We stayed in room no 11 and found raising the heat in the room difficult despite following the instructions on the card.

Good parking, warm welcome and clean room.

The pillows seemed old

The staff were really friendly as we arrived late they were very helpful we ordered food from the night menu (pizzas) which were cooked well and tasted great

Nothing.. all good

Amazing beds, breakfast was excellent.. staff so friendly and smiles all round.. couldn’t do enough.. will be back !! I recommend highly!!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Located by large ASDA and sports club. Parking close to hotel was difficult and not well defined. A large number of unused disabled spaces close to hotel and awkward vehicle access . Heating was erratic, lights not working, poor internet, holes in carpets

OK for an overnight stay on a business trip or an early flight from the airport which is close by. Breakfast good and available from 6.00am. Bright, Comfortable and Clean

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower tray drain had a blockage causing the tray to fill. However it did not impact on our stay and the problem was reported.

The free breakfast was much appreciated.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We were given a twin not a double as booked. Our room was half of a suite and NO sound proofing between. Very noisy.

The staff were friendly and helpful. A lift was on site. Parking outside the door. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was adequate, plentiful but not wonderful. Food allergies catered for. Staff friendly in dining room and all very clean.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The carpet and sofa were filthy. The bathroom has a bodged flooring and there was toilet roll hanging out of a window vent.

The manager was Friendly and the bed sheets were clean.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Arrived at 0030hrs , receptionist had to go and check if there were actually any rooms ready or available for us , not good after a 7 hour drive and just wanting to get to bed . Room also smelt very damp and musty.

Big rooms, good facilities

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Put in a room where i heard nothing but the thumping base music of the spinning class in the adjacent gym. Not the hotel gym i may add. I was looking for a well earned lay in and who needs an alarm clock when the gym can do it for you. Not a whiff of a refund from the hotel. The hotel should state this problem on this site. £70 for a stay at this awful place will never happen again

Zero

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Given a disabled room, smelt of mould, room was dated and horrible. Pull chords all over the room, was not clean. Tv remote was taped together and not clean

Breakfast was good but took a while to be topped up

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was not good as many items were not replenished. No bacon was available and were told that 3 trays were in the throes of being cooked. Tables were not cleared for new guests and being in a party of 8 everyone sat separate. At 9.00am the situation was not good. Need to get their act together.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is very tired looking and would benefit from more than a paint job.Bedroom carpets very dirty with age, bathrooms should be replaced. Coffee machine terrible, and complimentary breakfast very poor.

Staff were all pleasant and helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Good location close to the airport, close to shops, a huge Asda next door, very nice helpful staff, fair simple breakfast, large rooms with quite decent beds and large pillows... Good alternative outside city center.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

a vegetarian alternative for breakfast...

Lovely hotel, very nice staff, comfortable large rooms in a very good location, close to Norwich airport and very close to shops, restaurants and shopping centers. Very good internet and a simple, but fair breakfast... Very good cost benefit.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The dingy damp smell which was lingering in corridors. There was also a strong mold smell coming from the wood boards near beds. I looked under the mattress and did unfortunately see mold all over the unit that supports the mattress. This was very off putting but is unfortunately a common problem in Norwich.

Breakfast was amazing and there was enough variety for the money paid.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Way overpriced at £125!! Mould around bedroom windows. Air con control didn’t work. Room too cold had to get reception to remotely change settings. Some stains on mattress. Mattress sagged in the middle. Bathroom extractor not working. Breakfast was cold and that was 30 mins after start of service

Reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was placed next to the stairwell which was very noisy throughout the night. Also the light unit casing above the headboard buzzed loudly. Toaster was either out of order or not switched on.

Comfortable room, well equipped, friendly staff.

Rooms and Bathroom getting a bit 'tired' . Noisy aerobics class ( adjoining gym ) on Saturday morning with loud music !!

Convenient and cheap . Good breakfast.

Room smelt of damp, clear evidence aircon had been leaking to cause this issue. bedding thin and to small for the size bed. loud traffic noise, which woke children at 6am, damp windows, was not greeted on arrival, and no greeting or introduction at breakfast. Sorry to say i would not stay again

Breakfast was very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The air conditioning was quite noisy and the temperature did not feel like the number shown on the control box. We turned it off. A small, opening window would have been better.

Staff were friendly and efficient, although appeared to be run off their feet. The receptionist checked that all our requirements had been met and directed us to our room. A smiling face after a long day was very welcome.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Would have liked a bath but the shower was good

Helpful staff who even checked that the taxi firm I had booked was going to pick us up from the correct Holiday Inn Express !

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

There was a damp and unpleasant smell in the room and most of the floor. The furniture and furnishings were tatty and dirty in places. The make-up bed was uncomfortable.We were told that the roof was going the replaced next year and the rooms refurbished.

On the plus side the staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast good. The main bed was comfortable enough.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was fusty smelling, and the amenities few. Although there are notices in the room telling you that you can contact housekeeping for supplies you may have forgotten, it would be nice if they came as standard. There is nothing charming or interesting in the immediate vicinity so I would not recommend staying long.

I booked this hotel on the final night of my stay because it was conveniently located for the airport and they provide a shuttle service. I would not have wanted to spend more than one night here since the hotel is merely adequate.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The noise at night was a nuisance, some people no consideration for others, We had to change the date of our stay due flight available. we was charged a ridiculous price to change the date, then given a room with disabled facilities ...not impressed when we couldn't change rooms. but having said that .......

Love this hotel, the staff are great, the hotel spotless