Reviews of Fairmont St Andrews, Scotland 5 stars

Based on 2071 hotel reviews

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Relaxing comfortable experience 👍

Can’t think of anything

Everything from the valet parking & welcome at the door, bar, breakfast & bedroom were all amazing, been before & definitely be back👌

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

The hotel experience was first rate from the friendly greeting at door to general feeling of comfort
    • Twin Room with View

Pedestrian access to car park.....uncovered/ not all walkway......scrambled egg was bland.

Sound proofing....level of comfort....friendly/helpful staff....room service food......ambience including feeling of space.

Birthday celebration with family

The hotel facilities are really spot on but I’m afraid the food in 2 of the restaurant we went to was really average. Very overpriced for the quality and choice. I felt the food we ate was really disappointing. Not what we expected from a 5 star resort. I would recommend going into St. Andrews town for food if your staying in the Fairmont.

The hotel and grounds are beautiful even in bad weather It’s a spectacular setting.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Excellent stay for the second time, will definitely be back again!

We requested a travel cot but unfortunately there was no real mattress in it, just a folded up sheet/duvet of some sort which would not have been comfortable for our 5 month old. We had taken our own bed nest for her so this wasn't a problem but had we not this wouldn't have been suitable for her to sleep in.

Our room was very spacious.

Absolutely amazing

NOTHING

everything from our arrival to departure felt like we were at a very special place.No more to add,but every Hotel now will be compared to this one

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Amazing location.
    • Atrium King Room

Amazing location. Fabulous hotel very very clean. Staff excellent but the guys that greet u at the door are just great characters and make u so welcome.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Nice, comfortable
    • King Room with View

staff were a little rude at times. Nick-picking on bill items, which were removed when challenged

Location, room, bar and lounge areas - great breakfast

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

The pool was nice and clean.
    • Executive Suite

The public areas of the hotel and grounds are lovely, but the bedrooms are a bit dated and could do with an upgrade.

The pool was nice and clean. The hotel staff was very friendly, helpful and welcoming. The Italian restaurant was great for dinner and the Breakfast was good too. We enjoyed our stay.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Another excellent short break, would recommend this Hotel to anyone.
    • King Room with View

My wife could have let me play golf

Having spent many short breaks at this hotel we knew what to expect and were not disappointed. Staff really friendly and helpful as always, food great and facilities also.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Excellent. My friend and I come every year and will continue to do so.
    • Atrium Twin Room

From the minute we arrived until we left, the whole experience was excellent. Staff were excellent as was the food, rooms and bus journeys into the town.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Modern seaside hotel in the heart of golf country
    • King Room with View

There is a hotel shuttle to and from town, but it stops running at six o'clock. The room descriptions involving a "view", may be across a parking lot (which was disappointing at this elevated price point).

Modern high end hotel surrounded by golf courses and located seaside south of the town of St. Andrews. While it lacks the charm of more traditional older Scottish hotels, it is modern and comfortable with service oriented staff.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Beautiful hotel with lovely staff, amazing breakfast and...
    • Atrium King Room

My room was freezing and the heating system was broken, I wasn’t offered a change of rooms. My room also wasn’t very clean, there were water marks all over the bathroom and the bedroom was very dusty.

Beautiful hotel with lovely staff, amazing breakfast and very accommodating for coeliacs

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

We had a lovely spacious and very comfortable room...

Very big and quite impersonal (but probably works fine for the sort of clientele who generally frequent it), long wait for check-in and a mix-up with rooms (although the latter was sorted out efficiently and helpfully).

We had a lovely spacious and very comfortable room overlooking the sea, beautiful bathroom - spotlessly clean, good hot shower, nice lighting and luxurious touches. The restaurant had a wonderful view of the sunset over the sea, and our meal was delicious (if a bit expensive!). Superb breakfast offering a huge selection.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

That when you order breakfast in your room you have to pay...

That when you order breakfast in your room you have to pay for it again, having already paid for b&b. Most hotels only charge a tray delivery rate.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Definitely a coming again
    • Atrium Twin Room

Very nice location amidst golf course and great views, very clean rooms and nice spacious bathroom with shower and bath (especially good for colder days), good size bedrooms and comfortable beds, lots of amenities, superb continental breakfast and very friendly and courteous staff staff in reception, restaurants and room service

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Pool and spa facilities were fantastic.
    • Atrium King Room

Slightly annoying to have to cab into town for restaurants in the evening.

Pool and spa facilities were fantastic. So nice to be able to swim before breakfast every day. The staff were brilliant and seeing Evelyn for breakfast every morning was a breath of fresh air and greatly amusing.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

The spa was lovely, breakfast was nice
    • Atrium Twin Room

I have been to the hotel many times and was very disappointed with this stay. The service at times was slow, the carbonara pancetta was almost inedible due to fat on the meat and then I ordered a baileys hot chocolate and was charged £10 for it due to charging for the hot choclate and baileys separately. Lots of aspects fell below the average standard I would expect never mind what I would expect from this hotel

The spa was lovely, breakfast was nice

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Wonderful short break, we will be back

The food at dinner was not bad, Had to wait 10 mins to be seated for breakfast as there are a limited number of tables which was a bit of a suprsie.

Hotel look and feel is light, modern and has a wow factor. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The bathroom was superb and the view from the room was wonderful.

Mixed results
    • Atrium King Room

Way to expensive. Paid over £200 for the room and the bar prices were shocking. Dinner was great but breakfast food was poor quality and poorly presented

I was there for a dinner and the dinner was really good and service was impeccable

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Room was mega, views stunning & most of staff were...

Apart from breakfast, Food was very average on the whole but priced top end, my £40 steak was tough and chewy. The owner arrived just after us, so we got more or less told to get out of his way. Not how I expected to be treated.

Room was mega, views stunning & most of staff were tremendous. Breakfast was amazing

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

My wife thought the marmalade could have been better!

We have stayed in all of Scotland’s top hotels and old ambience apart this was as good as any and possibly the best

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

My husband and I, had a fantastic overnight stay for a...

My husband and I, had a fantastic overnight stay for a special birthday treat. We were overwhelmed by the level of service we received from each member of staff and we certainly can not wait to return.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Not worth the money, not a good birthday “treat”

The breakfast was cold and I was surprised that it was buffet style. The mini bar was massively over priced (especially for just a can of fizzy juice!). The spa was a huge let down, not very nice at all to be honest. The showers were flooding over by the side of the pool, the pool itself was freezing, the pool and surrounding facilities smelt like dirty toilets and the steam made such a loud noise when coming out in the steam room you couldn’t physically talk to the person you were with or relax at all if you were on your own. For the amount of money that it costs per night I would have expected way better breakfast (warm at a minimum) and a much nicer pool/spa area. The hotel itself and the grounds are nice but I wouldn’t recommend it or stay myself again. I was there for my actual birthday, it was booked as a surprise for me and my boyfriend by my parents. My dad had emailed ahead and advised that it was my birthday on the day of arrival and asked that they acknowledged this to make my birthday special. However, upon check in I was asked my reason for my stay and to be honest it fell on deaf ears. I would never ask for anything special for my OWN birthday but considering my dad had specifically asked for a nice surprise for me upon arrival and for me to be greeted by nothing was a huge disappointment for him. All in all I had a comfortable stay, the bedroom and bathroom themselves are pleasant but other than that I wouldn’t rate the service, the facilities or the food anything more than a 3 star. Really really disappointed with my stay, not the birthday treat I had expected!

The bed was very comfy and the room bathroom was nice

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

“Eggscellent”

One year ago the poached eggs were disappointing and I mentioned it. This year the poached eggs were possibly the best I’ve ever had. All the staff were friendly, smiling and engaged, making for an excellent stay.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

The Fairmont - a wee bit of heaven!

Nothing. It was absolutely beautiful. The view out of my window was one of the holes on the Fairmont course!!

The location was ideal. My friends were only 10minutes away via taxi at another hotel. It was easy to get a taxi and visit them and to go to the city to shop. The staff was kind, courteous and most helpful for all of my needs. The breakfast was delicious with many Scottish breakfast items such as haggis and black pudding. The staff for breakfast was efficient and kind. Never had to wait for seating thanks to Evelyn, the host. I would definitely stay at the Fairmont again.

Our visit far exceeded our expectations.

No dislikes.

Overall, a beautiful hotel. Also, the fact that the hotel provided a shuttle service to, and from, the town center during the day was a big plus. Our room was spacious and comfortable.

A return to the Fairmont
    • King Room with View

Was disappointed with the restaurant La Cuchina. Did not feel it was value for money.

The staff were exceedingly professional and looked after us very well.We have stayed here many times and just love the ambience and the facilites that are available.

Fabulous hotel

Disappointed with the food at the Italian restaurant. Main course could have been warmer.

The staff were very helpful. The room was spotless and very comfortable. We loved our time there.

A pleasant stay at the fairmont St. Andrews

The hotel was far too warm our room was far to hot which made me very uncomfortable

The hotel was very nice, good staff and well mannered . Room was very nice but not a great view

A total treat.

Chic, spacious, beautifully designed hotel (aimed at American golfers and well heeled tourists?). Compares favourably with the best so quite a find on a Scottish coast (I am a Scot!). Very thoughtful staff to put you at ease. Lovely room and a most repeatable peaceful stay - just checking when we can return. Though peak times are for the more wealthy there are off peak slots at very affordable rates. Excellent breakfast. Nice pool and gym.

Excellent.

Rooms must have been designed by a MAN.... no suitable plug point beside a mirror AND a chair... suitable for using hair aids etc and very good make up mirror in bathroom but no light possible on one side of it. Needs a woman to redesign !

Size of rooms , cleanliness, staff

Anniversary upgrade!

Key card did not work for our suite and had to be reactivated. We had ordered and prepaid for prosecco but it was not in our room on arrival. We phoned to chase up and it took just over an hour to arrive and was not chilled. Ordered Sunday newspaper which also never arrived. Small things but irritating at the time. Lunched at St Andrews Grill on site - overpriced and food lukewarm. Best to avoid and eat in town.

We stayed at the hotel for our wedding anniversary and were upgraded from a junior suite to a deluxe suite and given a complimentary glass of prosecco at check in - such a nice touch and made us feel special :)

The facilities are impressive located in a breathtacking...
    • Atrium King Room

Dinner at the restaurant by the golf course. Food was just average with a high price tag. The views from the restaurant were fantastic. It was a pitty we couldnt enjoy good food in spite of how much we paid.

The facilities are impressive located in a breathtacking place. Staff very friendly. Room quite spacius and confortable. Good breackfast.

Brilliant, will undoubtedly return and recommend to friends and family.
    • Atrium King Room

We upgraded to a suite which has superb views and the quality of the fixtures and fittings were superb. The underfloor heating in the bathroom was a lovely treat!

Nice night away
    • King Room with View

Some of the staff were a little rude example waitress in the bar area and when checking out. A little on the expensive side for sake facility’s as other hotels.

Lovely area, amazing facilities and food was lovely. Rooms were nice and clean and the bathrooms are beautiful.

A great hotel, needing to upgrade the evening restaurant.

The restaurant on the first floor, which,, although expensive, used to be very good was very disappointing. The night we ate there, Wednesday, was extremely poor, and friends said it had been the same on another night. Frankly, it let a great hotel down. W e shall come back to the hotel, but would now only eat at the bar restaurant, which is OK.

The quality of the room was excellent,. and the staff are very helpful. But what is expected to b e a very high quality restaurant was very disappointing

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Very comfortable rooms

The spa is a little underwhelming and would benefit from a refurb. I was accidentally charged for minibar items that i didn’t consume, but was quickly refunded

Very comfortable rooms Excellent buffet breakfast with broad selection of choices

Eh?

The Italian restaurant was an unhappy experience. Service- poor/ food blah with a dash of bland. We had the pizza- which waiter got wrong- came out cheese when ordered a pepperoni- (how tough is that?) and the Bolognese tasted like kids spaghetti - wine was good though!

everything was "ok" for the price it was too much on a business stay- weddings and big events are better suited for that place.

Nothing negative to add

Room was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. Staff were friendly, courteous and very helpful. Buffet breakfast was excellent with something to satisfy all tastes.

Excellent weekend

Being able to take hire bikes off the resort

The room was very comfortable and the concierge staff and the greeters to the hotel made you feel special.

Nice to experience this five star hotel.
    • Atrium King Room

The Italian restaurant served stale bread which for a five star hotel I would have expected it to be freshly made or delivered daily. The food served was nice though.

Good facilities, the pool was excellent.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

A pleasing return after a long absence.

The restaurant in the golf club house was very good but it would have been better to have that facility inside the main hotel as well as the Italian.

Hotel very spacious, well appointed, comfortable beds, Food excellent, friendly courteous staff. Good location, great views.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Beds super comfy.

Was charged twice for something on my bill but it was sorted straight away. Was meant to check in at 3pm but rooms weren’t ready so had to wait around and we had to be down in St. Andrews for 4pm so didn’t have time to change for that.

Beds super comfy. Very spacious rooms. Bathroom that dreams are made of.

The service was excellent, Charlotte at reception was...

Nothing at all. Everything was great.

The service was excellent, Charlotte at reception was extremely helpful and offered us prosecco right away as it was our wedding anniversary. The restaurant staff were lovely and the food was beautiful. Would certainly return.

Very enjoyable stay, somewhat marred by a poor lunch experience.

We were extremely disappointed with our lunch at the St Andrews Bar & Grill. Main courses took over 60 minutes to arrive, quality of chicken wraps less than supermarket wraps, fish not cooked properly, service almost appalling, seemed like it was the 1st day open, payment another problem (m/c ran out of paper). We did complain during the meal - they had an opportunity to do something to resolve/compensate, but didn't take it. It's this failure that I begrudge the most. Please note this is not the hotel main restaurant, but a more casual grill restaurant on site.

Overall hotel ambiance, setting, communal areas, room size etc etc etc, were all very very good.

Pleasant but could’ve been better
    • Atrium King Room

The dining experience was not great. Service extremely slow, orders were mixed up and food had to get sent back

The room itself was amazing as was the location and the decor of the hotel

Staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating.

Didn't find pool facilities very clean and there were live forky tails in the changing room cubicle

Staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Suite was beautiful!

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

We have been many times before and we will return to the Fairmont again.

There wasn’t a thing we didn’t like! What’s not to like? The staff are courteous and always extremely helpful.

It’s a very comfortable hotel, which my husband and I have visited several times. The reason for the visit to The Fairmont, is that it has a very laid back atmosphere and the views from the Hotel are wonderful! We just like it!

Amazing hotel recommended

Everything was amazing. Nothing I did not like

This hotel is outstanding. It is just your perfect stay the rooms are out of this world, staff were amazing. On arrival your car was parked for you, bags were brought to room, dinner reservations sorted. Had a few drinks in bar and customer service was excellent. Had dinner in the bar and grill and as it was raining were transported by Mini bus to the venue such a nice touch. The food and service were out of this world. Best hotel I have ever stayed in hope to go back soon

Very enjoyable and would definitely go back
    • Atrium King Room

There seemed a rush to get people out of the dining area for breakfast. Breakfast was served until 10am but shortly after 10 they were telling people to hurry up as they were closing - although there was still food left - they closed the curtains around the food

Room was very comfortable and the sitting area very relaxing

Hotel was absolutely beautiful, staff were amazing &...

For such a luxurious hotel myself & husband both found the pillows to be so uncomfortable!

Hotel was absolutely beautiful, staff were amazing & were so helpful. The pool, sauna & steamroom were fabulous. Breakfast was definitely a highlight 5*

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Very special

The shuttle into St Andrews was convenient just make sure you don’t have to make arrangements for the ride back to the resort. You need to make reservations for the afternoon high tea. Great service and beautiful location.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Disappointing. I was looking forward to spending time in the Spa/pool.
    • Atrium King Room

Very slow service in the bar to get drinks. The swimming pool was disappointing, especially the layout and the availability of somewhere to put towels on loungers (all taken), the floors through to the pool were all very wet, The Italian restaurant was very disappointing. The ambiance was poor, scruffy staff, and my pasta wasn't cooked properly. It was nothing like 'Italian' and for the price (we paid over £100 for 2) is was at best 'poor'. It was like an fast food eating place in a busy airport.

Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable with an excellent bathroom. Breakfast great.

Amazing

First class, could not fault the Fairmont. Special ccassion for my wife birthday . Staff really went out of their way to make our visit the best it could be from the concierge at the front door to the reception staff. We were offered prosecco on arrival, a lovely slice of cake with " happy birthday " message on the plate which was brought up to our room . We decided on eating at La Cucina restaurant and again offered complimentary prosecco . Really fantastic visit and will definitely return . Thank you to the management and all the staff

Great stay

More vegetarian/ fish choices of fillings for bagels on the bar food menu.

We stay here when returning /collecting our daughter to and from university or when visiting her. We love this hotel. The staff are amazing , the welcome first class and the location very beautiful. Highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Location, size of rooms, great breakfast, friendly staff.
    • King Room with View

Do not forget to make reservations if you want to eat at the club house. Kitchens close at 9pm which can be a bit early for some people.

Location, size of rooms, great breakfast, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

The whole experience was great, from the breakfast to the...
    • King Room with View

The whole experience was great, from the breakfast to the spa facility. Definitely worth the visit, even for someone like myself who doesn’t play golf

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Excellent staff- even after the stay, the customer service...
    • Atrium King Room

The food & service at the Clubhouse restaurant was nowhere near the standard of the main hotels although the views are superb.

Excellent staff- even after the stay, the customer service was exceptional after they found some of my lost property.

Wonderful and will most certainly return!!!

See above!!!

Everything! A fabulous hotel, impeccably clean and with polite, courteous staff. Some of the guests were more than a little annoying but an overall fabulous time.

Great room and bathroom, nice views

The breakfast could have been better

The portuguese guy at the reception is really firendly and helpful. The seafood restaurant is delicious although the staff could be friendlier. The room is very big and is very quiet. The beds for the dogs are fine

Lovely stay great staff but to far out and food over priced
    • Twin Room with View

It being outside town Also price of food was to high for standard of it

Hotel was worthy of five star had lovely spa and grounds only negatives was way outside town but courtsay bus every hour till 6 drop off n pick up in town Also feel as though hotel lacks sun deck area outside as when weather good no area with loungers to relax in

Golf courses and Club House Resturant were amazing.
    • King Room with View

Italian resturant. Lacked atmosphere, staff not helpful, food very expensive and disappointing presentation. No fresh milk in room , in fact no milk at all one day.

Golf courses and Club House Resturant were amazing. Everyone helpful and friendly. Welcome, by a local gentleman, made us feel very special. Breakfast was a wonderful time, both setting and buffet. Staff so friendly. Location of hotel is wonderful with superb views and sunsets.

A great break in a lovely location.
    • King Room with View

Staff at breakfast could smile a bit more, they were the only miserable staff we had.

Lovely, large comfy bed. Very quiet and clean. All very relaxing. Staff helpful and friendly. Good shuttle in the daytime to St Andrews, a very prompt service. Food was good especially in golf clubhouse, wonderful views.

Hotel on the whole was lovely, the highlight for us was the...
    • King Room with View

Service lacked we waited more than 1 hr 1/ 2 to receive our luggage at the room, when we did receive it the bell boy was arrogant.

Hotel on the whole was lovely, the highlight for us was the Italian restaurant, the service was impeccable, lovely little restaurant, the manager was bubbly on arrival and felt authentic.

The staff has been very welcoming and nice.
    • Deluxe Suite

It is meant to be a 5 stars but it isn’t really. The facilities are 5 stars but the service, food quality and room standard isn’t up to a 5 stars. The room like character and attention to details, the food is ok but not fab and the service in the restaurants is not top either

The staff has been very welcoming and nice.

Had a wonderful relaxing 4 night 6 day stay I would return at anytime and also recommend to friends

Absolutely nothing

Excellent accommodation very friendly helpful staff who go above and beyond at all times very relaxing so much to see and do in and around St Andrews even if not a golfer

Very pricey for mediocre facilities

Sterile atmosphere in spa No cosy pretty areas to sit & chat No flowers in vases displayed anywhere Fridge was not working & carpet wet around that floor area

Sea view Staff spontaneous & friendly

Not suitable for anyone with limited mobility or shortness of breath..corridors too long.

Self service breakfast...toaster was a nightmare..queuing for cooked eggs waited in a queue for 10 mins for 3 poached eggs...not what I expected from a 5 star hotel...corridors too long..disabled parking at rear...then long pathway to get to the rear entrance of hotel only to find seats just as you approach the back door....no outside seats to take a rest if walking in the grounds..dust hanging from ceiling

nothing....left after 4 days...stay was for 7

Wonderful staff, lovely hotel. Italian food perfect if a bit pricey. Upgraded as was anniversary.
    • Atrium Twin Room

Breakfast nice but had to queue up like schoolchildren for freshly cooked items. Very busy-felt like a huge school party had arrived as children noisily ran from buffet to tables, shouting loudly. Not really romantic wedding anniversary atmosphere we wanted!! Shocking service and cold food in the club house but we were told there would be no charge as it was so awful!

Hotel had beautiful setting especially from Club House overlooking the water! Transport provided to town-very handy!

Excellent service and food if a bit pricey for dinner. Overall would go back but ask for f
    • Atrium King Room

Room had view of roof of atrium and should have been informed of this at booking. Was expecting view of golf courses or coast so disappointed

Complimentary bus into St Andrews

The hotel has a lovey vibe and the public area in the atrium...
    • Atrium King Room

Our room was a good size with a lovely bathroom but the decor and furnishings were a bit tired.

The hotel has a lovey vibe and the public area in the atrium is amazing.

Excellent, really good room and bathroom, staff were fantastic.

Nothing our stay was fantastic.

Superb, really great large room with an excellent bathroom. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. The staff were absolutely amazing and nothing was to much trouble. Breakfast was also really good. Would certainly recommend and visit again. Bus service to town was good but could run extended hours.

Room with a view 3009

Nothing it was excellent

The location- staff- food etc. The quality of the furniture in our room was excellent - I couldn’t fault the fairmont excellent

Great... but not as sustainable as the surroundings deserve.
    • Atrium King Room

I wish the hotel was a bit more sustainable. I don't understand why they need to have such enormous ventilation system when the area is surrounded with fresh air that could work better with open windows or simple ventilation. I wish they had bicycles we could rent and ride to town on bicycle track...

Perfection
    • Atrium King Room

Absolutely nothing not to like, many thanks!

Absolutely everything was perfect from check-in to check out. Just wish we didn't have to leave! Champagne on our balcony was perfect. Many many thanks.