Reviews of Fines Bayliwick Hotel

London Road, (off Nevelle Close) Binfield, Bracknell, RG42 4AB, United Kingdom

#7 of 7 hotels in Bracknell

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

This is another hotel that I like staying at when in the...
    • Standard Single Room

This is another hotel that I like staying at when in the area. The attractive receptionist, Lana, greeted me and she remembered me from my last visit. There is a nice modern bar and also a restaurant that serves a choice of Asian dishes. The rooms are comfortable as are the beds. I shall look to stay here again when next in the area.

Good but could be better

The size of the room was really tinny for the price we paid. It was rather tricky to work out the shower - there were instructions left on the wall but it still took a while to get it to the right temperature. The bed and floor board were rather squeaky. And there was only one cup in the room for our tea in the morning.

I liked the bathroom and where our bedroom was located in the property. The staff were friendly. The pressure of the shower was really good too.

It was suitable for what we needed

Could hear the person snoring in the next room lol, shower was quite small, and hallway floors were very creaky. Unable to connect to the Wi-Fi with the password given. Only one tea cup and one glass two people staying in the room

Comfortable bed and spare pillows available, nice room, good size tv.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Wasted
    • Standard Single Room

The room was very cramped and the toilet and the pipes were noisy when the toilet was flushed. There was no milk provided for the tea/coffee; and there was only one pillow. The price did not include breakfast so was very poor value for money.

I paid in advance through booking.com but on arrival the receptionist insisted I provide my card details including security pin. I questioned this to the owner/manager the next day and he said this was normal. I asked him to delete the details but he refused until the room was cleaned and checked. I asked him to go and check the room and he did. He then said he deleted my card details but I have no evidence of this.

Good bed, clean bathroom,tv and WiFi

Tv remote needed fixing. Mirror in a strange place had to move the chair. Massive spider on the ceiling. Light in bathroom near that mirror didn’t work and no extraction fan so the bathroom got very steamy. Kettle lid broken

Good bed, clean bathroom,tv and WiFi

Avoid - far better alternatives out there.

Not expensive but not value for money at all. The room was appalling, tired - probably overdue refurbishment 10 years ago. The pillows are so worn out and thin they're almost non existent. The towel was only a little larger and more absorbant than a tea cloth. Quite noisy - best to get to work late and get to sleep once everyone has stopped trampling around.

The location is central for Bracknell and Reading.

First and last time
    • Deluxe Family Suite

when we arrived the car park was full so I had to pa4k on the road and walk arround with bags and my 3 children. the  room looked beautiful although the carpet was stained and no bin.when I asked th3 man on reception to recommend a nice place for lunch as they didn't servic3 food in day h3 directed me to the local garag3 for a meal deal. Very offended. Then After a night at the theatre with the children very tired we return to get some rest. rest we did not get! the banging and talking outside our room went on till after 3am keeping me and my youngest up. I requested some milk for a cup of tea at 1am as it was impossible to sleep and the lady who brought it to me made it clear that they normally stop service at 11pm so it was doing me a favour this time with no apology for the disturbance. Turns out the noise was the pluber trying to fix a issuse with the pipes as i was told by anoth3r guest the next morning. The morning came we had no water in our room and again when I asked the lady we had no apology she just repeatedly told me not to worry and we rushed to our 9:30 breakfast booking. With three children with me and no shower or teeth brushed we didn't feel great at all and the food wasn't brought out till 10am. again as we just leaving I tried to talk to her about the lake of sleep and water we have had and she just continued her phone call. not at all impressed. I have a 3hour drive today and am exhausted. We have gone to another hotel to use facilities. shocking service!! Also may I add that wh3n I call3d to enquire I was told my children as so littl3 would eat breakfast for free. On arrival was asked to pay for them and offered to split one of them. I agreed but instead of two small breakfasts the kids got one to share.

Bar was very low stocked, warm beer in tins and quite...

Bar was very low stocked, warm beer in tins and quite expensive. So had to get a cab to a pub. Shower leaked all over bathroom. Bed very hard, we both woke up aching.

Very convenient location for a visit to my employers UK Head...

Very convenient location for a visit to my employers UK Head Office. Basic, yet clean accommodation. A couple of gripes - The door lock on room 13 was temperamental and the noise from the water pump, seemingly located above the entrance hall of room 13, was deafening at 7.30am. Did not eat in restaurant or have breakfast so cannot comment on the quality and value for money.

Never again
    • Standard Single Room

Was phoned a day earlier than my expected arrival date saying they had me booked in a day earlier than my due date. I told the receptionist that they had made a mistake. I was then told by 2 different members of staff that I would have to take this up with bookings.com as I had made the booking through them. This was the second time this has happened to me for this particular hotel. When I arrived on the Sunday evening I was told I would have to take the discrepancy up with bookings.com. They still charged me for the Saturday night. On arrival they said I could still have a room for tuesday night at a more expensive price then originally offered. I turned them down. I will never book this hotel again !

Sorry. Nothing. Room hot as expected with the recent weather . But curtains very thin and room facing directly into the sun. No fan provided.

If back in the area would use again.

Double room only 1 cup, glass and portion of milk. Immediately remedied when spoke to the receptionist.

Clean, friendly receptionist. Ideal location for our needs.

Thought I was on the set of Fawlty Towers!

Unpleasent smell. Facilities - Very outdated. Went to open the drawer and wardrobe in the room and handle came off both. Shower was either boling hot or freezing cold and power was terrible. I knew the bedside light wouldn't work even before I tried it. Dinner - Overpriced. First two choices were not available. For the third choice my starter was chicken soup which was without question a tin of Heinz (cost approx £1) which they charged £6 for. Main was average. Bed - probably the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on - solid as a rock! Breakfast - Overpriced and average.

Staff are friendly and welcoming

Good hotel but needs some more efficiency in staff availability
    • Standard Single Room

There was very poor attendance at reception and on occasions the inability to find staff to enquire about various things, so again was left without good staffing levels.

Room was comfortable and for the price good value.

Very nice staff, but expensive for the quality of room

the mattress in the room was pilling and hard balls bits of fabric could be felt while on top of the mattress cover, additionally a few cobwebs in the corners

The Staff were incredibly friends, welcoming, happy to answer any questions I had

Was only booked as a place to lay my head for a few hours so did the job but room not great.
    • Standard Single Room

Room extremely small, television remote was missing and no other controls on tv itself. When looking for tv remote handle fell off the draw. Shower leaked onto very cramped bathroom floor.

Room was clean and bed was comfy. Parking was excellent and well lit. Grounds and hotel appeared to be well kept and receptionist very friendly.

Bed and room comfortable, staff friendly

Evening meal not good value and bizarrely had rice and naan bread with all meals, even lasagne and beef stew. Breakfast appeared to be all or nothing full English (ie no just bacon and egg, poached egg or any othrr option - and was very greasy.

Bed and room comfortable, staff friendly

Lovely country house with potential.

the receptionist was missing from the reception desk, I only saw him twice in three days. I wished the garden was a bit more tidy and they would serve drinks in the garden. the bar was literary locked with a padlock. a bit pricey for what I was offered.

I loved the garden area and the old English decor of the living room area

Good for overnight stay.

Style of hotel quite dated, which in itself is okay, I like old-school charm, but you do get the sense that it needs a bit of attention. Floors are very creaky, I was concerned for those possibly in rooms below us. Also, seems shower was leaking from somewhere because when we got out, one part of the floor was covered with water.

The reception closed prior to our arrival, and they kindly contacted us telephonically to inform us of arrangements to get the key, etc. The receptionist I spoke to was efficient and friendly. Room quite clean and spacious, albeit dated. The bathroom is spacious and clean too, and has modern fixtures. The bathroom was really the best part of the room. The location was great! Close to where we wanted to be, although it is some distance to town centre/shops (within walking distance).

Car park was laid with large pieces of gravel and hard to walk on, so difficult that I actually fell. Staff were great in helping me get cleaned up but I was surprised that they did not have an accident book for me to complete (I made a point of asking for it). Breakfast was poor value at £12.50 per person - mushrooms and eggs cooked in butter so they were very rich and tainted the whole meal. Only two of us in the restaurant so not much atmosphere. Disappointed as the photos made the place look really nice.

Bed was comfortable. Heating was controllable so we were not overheated as with many other hotels

OK, More of a guest house than a hotel
    • Standard Twin Room

The rooms are dated and chilly- you dont expect to have to turn on a plug in fan heater! There is nowhere in the room to work, no desk or chair. The bathroom facilities are hit and miss. Its all a bit 1970s, "quaint" - Fawlty Towers without Basil

Location was great and the homliness nice. Lana on reception was very good and helpful though she seems to have to struggle with a not great IT system!

Would not stay here again and would advise others not to !!

Rooms were freezing manager said heating would come on later it did not !!! Had to ask for extra heaters for bedrooms !! My daughter in the next room had to sleep in clothes and dressing gown and she still froze she had only been given a tiny air blower we did not know this until next day or would have complained breakfast the next day was terrible it looked like it had been cooked by a five year old. They said it was a full English. 1 sausage 1bacon and an egg and mushrooms is not a full English. We have stayed in lots of hotels in the past so we know what we are talking about. No one ate the breakfast and when I told the manager it was unacceptable he just smiled.

Comfortable bed. Nice dining room and open fire

Room was warm and lots of hot water.
    • Standard Twin Room

Creaky floor boards no matter where you stepped. Could hear guests in upstairs rooms and corridors walking on floor boards. Had to pull out chest of drawers 1: to find a socket (low down on wall) and 2: every time we wanted to use kettle or hair drier. Old hair drier not working but still connected to power (badly connected and inside wardrobe). Did not have breakfast here. bought a lukewarm bottle of water !

Room was warm and lots of hot water.

Probably better described as 'Less than Fine Balyliwick!'

Once inside the hotel, the old world charm is wearing thinner than the stairs carpet, which is quite threadbare in places. The double room I was allocated (9) was very dated and on the small side (OK for a solo traveller, but I would imagine quite claustrophobic for a couple). The bed was not the most comfortable I had ever slept in either, and the pillows were quite lumpy. However, the biggest issue for me was the soundproofing, thin walls and the creaky floorboards in both the rooms and corridors. Every movement produced a loud creak, and being a busy hotel, meant a disturbed night. I also decided against the rather pricy £12.50 breakfast option, based on the poor reviews and abundance of cafes nearby, so can't really comment on the food quality here. Overall, I thought the hotel was expensive for the standard of accommodation offered; it desperately needs a refurbishment and a more realistic approach to menu pricing.

I mainly booked the hotel for short notice availability and it's location, which was in easy reach of the A329M. The building has some old world charm from the outside and car park is reasonably spacious. Check in was straightforward, the receptionist bring friendly and efficient.

Cold, very cold.
    • Standard Single Room

Room was freezing, toilet continually ran after flushing (requiring me to take the cover off and adjust the ballcock), shower switched between too hot and too cold at the slightest adjustment. Due to this I left 1 day into a 2 day prepaid booking. The hotel has since refused to entertain any suggestion of a refund of the cost of the second night.

Great return stay!

Loved the welcome of my return visit from both Lana the Receptionist and the Manager next morning. Always great to be remembered. Comfortable room and bed as usual plus a good reasonably priced meal and drink deal in the evening.

Good hotel, great staff!

This hotel is full of history from he Victorian era once being the home of the Fines family and now tastefully refurbished into the hotel you see today. The food here is very good with a varied menu. There is a fair choice of drinks on offer also. The staff here are very good, particularly Lana, (pronounced Lan), who is a very keen conversationalist who loves to practise her English speaking skills. She also has a good sense of humour and I enjoyed talking with her.

Never again.

Threadbare carpet on stairs. Different finishes on ceiling presumably where it had been repaired, also a stain from a water spill above. Bathroom sink blocked, and reported immediately on arrival (615pm)and again before breakfast (0900) but not attended to. Reception accused me of threatening when I said they would get a bad review. Not just a threat mate! Breakfast £12.50 each isvery expensive so you expect a very good one. This wasn't even average. 2 loaves of sliced bread with the ends of the plastic wrappers opened for self-toasting - glamorous! Little packets of salt and pepper etc - messy. NO choice offered for your cooked breakfast (other than not to have it!). Porridge was an individual pot which they made up with hot water for you. For £12.50??! The room alone was £87 (supposedly special price). I did get offered an £8.70 refund along with some whining about the amount they have to shell out to Booking.com and VAT.

Some interesting Thai -stye decor.

Worth another visit.
    • Triple Room with Shower

Well maintained property, decor good with great attention to detail. Communal areas were comfortable and welcoming. Ample good quality breakfast.

I wouldn't stay here again

There were holes in the carpets and walls. Bed was lumpy and pillows were flat. The cooked breakfast was nice but way too expensive at £12.99. When I booked the cooked breakfast I was told I could choose what I wanted but when I went down in the morning I was them told it was only full English. The continental was very poor - extremely limited on everything and the fruit looked old

This hotel is in a lovely building but in need of a reburb.

An economic place to stay
    • Standard Twin Room

Is it really a country house hotel in town Expensive breakfast. Too warm beds not v comfortable shower difficult to use and shower screen damaged

Somewhere in area to stay Enough easy to use parking Quiet room

Disappointing, we will not be back.

Breakfast, a shower that didn't flood, a kettle that you could only use on the floor, that's when there was any tea or milk to use.

The location was good and surprisingly quiet and peaceful.

Avoid!
    • Standard Single Room

No towels in the bathroom. Insufficient parking. Ubiquitous Eastern European receptionist with poor English and little understanding of customer service.

The hilarious decor

An OK stay for the money in our room (but I guess each one may vary)
    • Standard Twin Room

Booked a twin room, but only 1 mug, 1 tea bag, 1 set of towels. Shower doors also came off runners and when I phoned to explain (we left v early) there was no apology or thanks for letting them know.

Very clean, great location, quiet and easy access once checked in.

The bed was very comfortable.
    • Triple Room with Shower

No flexibility on check in unless you pay extra

The bed was very comfortable. The room was a little tired but fitting in with the style of the property.

the hotel is very pretty and the room was perfect for our...

our room didn't have any windows

the hotel is very pretty and the room was perfect for our stay. It is very close to the town centre and amenities.

ok but not this room
    • Triple Room with Shower

first time I have stayed in Room 1, the lack of a direct window to the outside and the ability to get fresh air directly into the bedroom was a sad let down

Quirky Hotel that's full of character

Parking area is small and fills up quickly when the Hotel is full

Given a room upgrade on arrival. The room was quirky (bathroom was situated in the conservatory) and full of character. Friendly, helpful staff.

Not a hotel room, a converted office next to reception is...

Not a hotel room, a converted office next to reception is the closest description I could come up with. Probably the worst room I've stayed in around the UK.

The bed was very comfortable.
    • Triple Room with Shower

No air con in the room which made it unbearably hot in the room and bathroom especially. The building needs modernising and things like menus were very tatty.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was huge. Staff were pleasant but not well trained.

One Night Stopover
    • Standard Twin Room

Nothing specific, maybe the overall feeeling or lack of ambience ---- only saw two other guests and I was the only one in the resturant. Even with their limited menue one of the main dishes was "out of stock". Decided not to go to breafast.

Place is in need of some refurbishment. Example stair carpets are worn through. Think they are running to a very tight budget and minimising any expenditure on the fabricate of the place.

A nice surprise awaits you here
    • Triple Room with Shower

Only 1 tea cup and one set of towels while we stayed with the two of us -- but to be fair we did book at he last minute.

The general feel of this Hotel is superb

Small and friendly hotel
    • Standard Single Room

I was moved to another room on arrival, it was a single not the double I booked, but I was on my own, there was a noisy wedding party at the hotel and I think I was moved away from the noise. The bed was against the wall and small. It was a very hot day and (no fault of the hotel) I was uncomfortable as the quilt was against the wall and I effectively had half a single bed. Sorry if this is a bit petty but (I paid £75 for 1 night) there were no biscuits in the room, a plastic tea spoon and the small breakfast was an additional £12.50.

It was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.

I would not stay here again

We arrived early as we were going to Ascot for the day, and although our room was ready we were asked to pay an extra £10 per hour, each hour before the check in time of 2pm. It would have cost us an extra £30. As we had to get changed we said we would do it in the loo to avoid having to pay the extra £30. The man at the desk then said he would do it for £20, again we said we would change in the loo, eventually he said he would not charge us. We went to our room, it was very very tatty, nothing matched and the radiator in the bathroom was extremely rusty.

The staff were nice.

I would never stay there again.

Staff were very poor and not very accommodating. Woman serving drinks did not know what a gin and tonic was so I had to show her. Main man at reception were rude.

Friendly staff, clean and tidy.

Our shower was actually broken and the main head didn't work well at all so we had to use the smaller hand shower but it was still ok - though controlling the temp was tricky as it actually seemed very hot once the hot water had arrived. An amount of noise from other rooms and corridors, plus no fan in the room can make for a disturbed sleep. TV wasn't the best in that the remote didn't seem to want to work too well. Paying by card incurs a fee regardless of debit card or not.

The staff were very friendly, and the room was nice and tidy. Parking was ok, though might get a little full if all the rooms are occupied. Bed was comfortable. I thought the value for money was ok. A number of people have complained about cold showers, and whilst it is cold for quite a time, patience is a virtue and you will get nice hot water through. The hot water tank is apparently a distance away so plan ahead and make extra time. Nicely refurbished bathroom.

What we saw was disgusting
    • Triple Room with Shower

Where do I start... Dirty bath (chewing gum or something stuck in the plug hole) a shower cubical too small to get into, lots of paint falling off the walls in the bathroom... It was basically an added on lean-to with wooden slats at the windows that couldn't be opened as they were falling apart, it must have been 100 degrees in there and just vile. The 4 poster bed was in nasty brown fabric with 2 lights in the head board that were just bulbs with no shades, mould growing inside a painting that was on the wall!! We stayed all of 5 mins in the room and had to get out we asked for the manager and we were told by one member of staff that he was in the shower then 5 mins later we were told by another that he had gone out! He was actually in the shower! He came down and didn't say a lot... We showed him all the things that were awful about the room and he just nodded!! We asked for our £88 back as we couldn't stay there he said no he will not give be giving us back any money so we are now taking this further, please don't book a room here you have been warned.

Absolutely nothing to like about this hotel

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

OK I guess.

Only single member of staff who seemed do everything. Dinner ok, but all microwaved from pre-cooked stuff.

Decent size room. WiFi speed good and was consistent.

Not a pleasant stay and wouldn't recommend sadly

Small room for two people. Shower didn't work and had to use attachment also no plug in sink so difficult to shave. Not enough towels or mugs for two people. Dog barking outside in night. Ground works going on in drive and car park which made it difficult for access and parking. Not their fault but would have been good to know in case of disability. Breakfast was offered but declined due to cost of £12.50 pp, extremely expensive for someone who would only have cereal or toast!

It was clean, the bed was comfortable and the owner friendly

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Disappointed.

No evening meal; unfortunately I did not see the last line in the fine print section unconnected to the restaurant facilities section earlier: "limited times at weekends", NO times would be more accurate. 9am only offered for breakfast. tough uninteresting croissants. could not order daily newspaper.

Bed OK. Plenty of good fruit at breakfast.. One helpful cheerful young member of staff.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Disappointing, not value for money, do not recommend
    • Standard Single Room

Room was tiny (perhaps the size of a child's nursery or a box room), barely any space to turn, let alone walk. Window not double glazed, therefore let in cold draft. Radiator set very low. Curtains very thin. Sink was in bedroom. Shower was tiny, barely enough space to turn, and water was little more than a trickle. Loud noise from what sounded like a boiler each time someone from a neighbouring room used their facilities while I tried to sleep. Noise from creaky floor upstairs while I tried to sleep. To say the room was a student room would be a compliment. Breakfast was ok, but not worth the price charged. The hotel reminded me of Fawlty Towers. Old, dated, decor and furniture. Certainly did not get the peace, comfort and practicality I paid for which I expected after/before busy business days. Overall, my stay at this hotel was certainly not worth the price charged and I would not recommend it.

Clean. Convenient location.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

The location was important and this was the nicest looking...
    • Standard Twin Room

I had to book an additional room direct with the hotel at short notice and all they had available was a very small single room that my nephew reported as being cramped and hot. However, it was preferable to sharing a room with his auntie or sleeping in the car. Breakfast was not an option due to the price and there was no cheaper option for those who only fancy something light.

The location was important and this was the nicest looking hotel that I could afford out of the choices available

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Well located, cosy friendly traditional country hotel

Minor repairs required on drawers and cupboards. Shower needs instructions to avoid scalding/freezing. Restaurant not always open.

Friendly and caring service from owners and staff, substantial excellent breakfast, cosy historic building with traditional furniture, pictures and ornaments, adequate parking, feeling of security. In the country, but close to town. Lovely living/dining room. Adequate heating.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

We had a lovely large room on the ground floor with a four...
    • Triple Room with Shower

The weather was cold outside and both the bedroom & bathroom were cold.

We had a lovely large room on the ground floor with a four poster bed, large bathroom with roll top bath and separate shower cubicle.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

You get what you pay for

Our towels didnt get changed and when we arrived on the first night at 6 the bar and restaurant was closed for unknown reasons. The bed was quite hard.

They greet you well and are friendly people. Parking is available and the en suite was great, very modinised.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

A reasonable price hotel.
    • Standard Twin Room

Finding that the kettle, television, wall heater all plugged into a 4 gang extension lead, this could have serious health and safety issues.

Convenient location.

Poor service, staff haven't got a clue what customer service is about.

Horrible service i had, i asked for a folk and knife because i had to eat my dinner and the person on reception refused to help and when i tried explaining that its just a matter of grabbing them from kitchen and i am not asking for too much then he goes you are disturbing me now please go. I wish i could just leave straight away but because of friend being not well i could not.

Would be far better staying in travel lodge than this poor place.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Excellent, peaceful place.

Excellent; peaceful place.

Convenient location

Convenient location

Breakfast too expensive for what we had, not asked how we wanted our eggs

Nice shower cubicle

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Peaceful and good location.

Lovely, quiet atmosphere.

Nice Indian restaurant nearby but would nt stay there again.
    • Triple Room with Shower

Abit too quirky needs some work doing/investment I'm afraid.

It was very quiet but old floorboards bait squeaky unfortunately

great value rooms, friendly staff, serene gardens, a pleasure to stay

wifi password in hand book was wrong, had to ask staff

Friendly staff

Toilet flush needs attention

Friendly staff

The size of the bathroom was very big good shower.
    • Triple Room with Shower

Rooms were very tired. Needed curtains to be fixed. Breakfast was terrible, service was awful.

The size of the bathroom was very big good shower.

Discusting and way below standards for the money paid .

Room was shabby, pillows on bed all stained and had electrical extension leads around the room for use....... will not be going back

It was OK but disapointed with evening meal

The menu selection was poor and quite expensive also the quality of the food was not good

The bed and room were very good.

Staff friendly .

Floor boards really creaky in room 9. Felt self conscious about moving around the room .

Staff friendly . Hotel fairly central to town.

Very comfortable and perfect for what I needed

Creaky floorboards

Didn't get an option for wifi?

Charming place
    • Standard Single Room

Clean, comfortable with a old English charm.

Best stay in UK so far
    • Standard Single Room

No water tap nearby toilet. Discomfort for Muslim like me that use water to clean up after passing motion.

Beautiful building and nice area

One night stay.

Room was quite cold. But a heater was provided .

Friendly receptionist.

Smell of damp!

Going home.

Easy home from home
    • Standard Twin Room

A little tired decor but that's being picky

Excellent staff, ideal location and boutique rather than a chain hotel.

Excellent hotel

Excellent hotel

A lovely family feel and so welcoming

Nothing it was excellent

The owner was exceptionally kind