Reviews of Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa 4 stars

Southport Old Road, Southport, L37 0AB, United Kingdom

#9 of 13 hotels in Southport

Our room had no real window, which might be the price to pay for using a booking site!? The shower cubicle needed a really good clean.

Great location and facilities. Lovely staff. Decent food and drink

The facility didn't take AMEX so it was a nuisance having to change payment details on Booking.Com. As a complete spa novice, I would have appreciated some tips from the website or the staff on what to do in the spa!

The staff were extremely friendly and there was a good buzz about the place. Food was excellent. The general amenity was good and I understand there are plans to improve the overall facilities and landscape

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

If you want to use your WiFi do not stay at this hotel. I got less than 1Mb and was told they know it's bad and they are hopefully getting Fibre. This needs to happen if they want to be considered by business travelers or conferences.

Very quiet rooms and well appointed. Friendly and helpful staff

The fact we was not allowed to eat at the accommodation because it was fully booked, and nobody had informed us we would have to book our dinner reservation even though it was included in the price and also had to travel 30 minutes from formby Hall spa just for something nice to eat, very poor.

• Loft Executive

The bar staff rude, ignorant and poorly trained. The outside seating area was filthy, empty glasses and pots on the tables and lots of rubbish all over the floor. Not the sort of experience you would expect when you're paying a premium for your stay.

The room and reception staff were very good.

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

Some areas of the hotel were a bit messy and were not cleaned up quickly enough.

Room was very comfortable, but one or two little things wrong, which were put right by the staff. The bed was very good. Staff were always very friendly and helpful.

Just little things really - the wi-fi signal was poor (acknowledged by staff), self serve tea & coffee at breakfast now not a great idea I don't think, on two of three days waited quite a while to be seated for breakfast as no-one at reception desk in restaurant. Main comment though would be on the recent refurbishment of bar area which isn't great I don't think. There used to be two bars but the one on the restaurant side has disappeared (to increase restaurant size?). This leaves one bar area which is quite cold & very noisy when busy (poor acoustics as too many hard surfaces). I don't suppose that this last point will stop us using the facility next year but think that it is a shame.

We have been staying here for several years now & have always found it a good place to stay. The rooms are very good, the breakfasts are good, the staff always friendly & it is quiet & relaxing. This year the supply of Racing Posts in the morning was excellent - the correct number arrived early each day. In the past both the number & delivery time have been issues.

Drinks a bit expensive, our room had a rubbish view/none at all, small frosted window made the room dark. As we were there for a wedding we weren’t in the room much so didnt mind, but for the £125 per night price you’d expect to be able to at least see out of the window.

Lovely decor, food great, stayed for a wedding which was lovely. Nice bathroom and powerful shower. Breakfast was good and staff lovely. Didn’t get chance to use the pool but that looked nice

Room 212 had an annoying noise from ventilation kept re occurring & room safe was in op, reception offered there safe facility , bar prices!! Which increased in the night venue V bar in restaurant

Gym, pool, steam & sauna, reception actually rembemer guests!!

We had no view from our room as it backed onto the stairs we realised. We also had no phone in our room so we had to go down to reception every time we needed anything

Beds comfy, breakfast good, spa good and staff friendly and helpful

Was unable to get through to order room service at restaurant so had to go via reception. When rang to make booking never picked up so did not get my delegate rate as had to book online. Room heating did not work and was given a heater and was told by memeber if staff that he was to busy and deal with other problems and that I had to be quick to tell him I wanted heater or not! Was given complimentary dinner as a result with over cooked salmon that I rehydrated with the soup starter!! Sink taps had not been cleaned. By the level of hinge build up they hadn’t been cleaned in a while!!

Friendly staff at reception and breakfast

We booked the hotel based on the fact it is a spa hotel,however we were not informed that although check-in is 3pm,the spa classes at 4pm on the 31st December,which was the whole reason we booked it

We didn’t have essentials like towels, robes etc and no tea or coffee even though we had a kettle and the hairdryer was broken

Staff were friendly and food was excellent

Nothing all spot on

Facilities and service first class. We were able to use the pool before breakfast and felt relaxed throughout our stay. Room service food arrived hot and was delicious good value for money

*The hotel is 3/4m away from the intersection the satnav lands on, along Southport Old Road. Signage needs updating and lighting. We had to ask for our room to be made up on two occasions, but this was over Christmas, staffing was an issue, and it was remedied quickly. No information about hotel facilities eg in-house spa and local services, etc. The room service menus provided were on a piece of A4 paper. Very poor signage to rooms. No phone, except by request.

The staff were very helpful, always gave a smile and a greeting. Food and restaurant service very good. Casual meals from the bar were good, with a variety of menus. Foyer decoration very Christmasy and welcoming. Nicely presented in room tea tray with a variety of biscuits, coffee and teas.

The Resturant was under staffed and service was not up to same standard as the rest of the venue. The spa facility is good the therapists were a little inexperienced compared to good spa's

Rooms were nice and big which gives extra comfort

There was nothing I didn't like.

The room was large, the bed very comfortable and the bar and dining area very pleasant to sit. The pool and spa were very good and the breakfast very tasty. The staff were very attentive and there was a huge choice of gins!

I felt like the staff at the restaurant seem to be a bit slow in serving you.

The rooms have been updated to high spec very nice & modernised which was much needed. Rooms are comfortably sized. The reception staff are helpful, friendly & attentive. The restaurant has been designed to a fresh new look, a really enjoyable experience. The food is quite nice here.

Minor things in the rooms requiring attention to detail to give it a superb rating. Examples were plugs in the basin that would not pop up. Taps and surrounds could be cleaner. Continually having to re login to wifi again a minor point. The cooked breakfast offers everything you could wish for, but sitting under the supposed heat lamps, in actuality the food was tepid. This is a shame and again could be easily rectified, but understandable given it is a very busy hotel.

A modern functional hotel, perfect for a golf and/or spa break. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. The ensuite had both shower and an excellent deep bath. Reasonable wifi throughout. Helpful and friendly staff. Nice well stocked bar. It is a very busy hotel given the excellent facilities. The staff were very apologetic that the room was not ready at the 3pm check in time, but sensibly offered guests waiting to check in complimentary drinks to keep them calm. A nice touch. A pleasant stay

What we didn’t like was the breakfast was not in with the price that we payed we was there for a wedding and the other guests we was with payed less with a breakfast included

The room was very good and the bed was very comfortable

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

For the amount I paid for the room I would have expected a few more ‘little extras’, especially in the bathroom, such as a (disposable) shower cap, make up remover pads, and sewing kit. Stayed 2 days, the formal meal on the 1st day was served with great care and attention, the meal service at the bar the second day was very slow. The staff were clearly very busy-more needed at busy times. They were very apologetic though.

The space in the guest rooms was great, with lovely views over the golf course. Beautifully cooked food, with helpful and obliging staff overall.

Pool area not as nice as the photos. The changing rooms are small and inadequate for the numbers of people using them and only one private changing room. My daughter changed in the toilet. Not everyone wants to strip off in front of everyone else. Water jets in the pool not working and wet towels left on the lounge chairs even though the occupants had left. Costume spinner not working and a cone had been placed over it to let us know it wasn't working! Generally more staff needed to maintain it. The room itself was nice and spacious, but really dark and depressing. I asked for more light as the lamp by my bed wasn't working and i thought it was a dead bulb. It wasn't, the light fitting was broken so i couldn't read in bed. They did leave another lamp, but with low energy bulbs it made little difference.The bed however was comfortable. For the price, I was expecting a higher standard of accommodation and facilities.

Staff were very friendly and accomodating. Breakfast was good although coffee was poor. Lovely view from the breakfast room.

The £50 deposit we had to pay on top of the cost of the room. This want mentioned anywhere when booking

Room was massive, bathroom was fab- double bath and big shower cubicle. King size bed was sooo comfortable

Waited over an hour for food from our order. Thenthe same length of time for our drinks . Then the waiter arrived with chips instead of prawns to go with my pasta .

We were upgraded and had a suite. room 125. I would recommend anyone having this suite. Comfy chairs to sit and relax watch the tv. Two sets of French doors open onto the golf course. Beautiful views. Lovely seating area outside . Lovely deep bath and separate shower. And super soft dressing gowns and slippers. The bed is a super size and there's also a tv to watch whilst lying in bed. Such a comfortable relaxing sleep we both had. I would recommend going to this resort. I didn't want to leave the room . Lovely cooked breakfast and seating area is very modern.

The managements attitudes were disgraceful , the lady captain of the golf resort spoke to me like a piece of dirt and was swearing and calling me vulgar names all because of a dispute over a car parking space , the staff aloud this women to verbally abuse me and point her finger in my face there was no security to help resolve this situation , I was not offered any discount for my distress as I was reduced to tears by these two women shouting and name calling me and following me around the hotel shouting at me Infront of everybody, and this lady captain is meant to represent the golf club as a upstanding member of society , i was attending a wedding and the bride and grooms money was stolen from there room , and extra charges was added on to my room which was not made by myself , the whole experience was dreadful , I will be taking my matter further as to the way I was treated by this hotel and their lady captain. Rooms are over priced for a 4 star hotel and the room was very basic and toilet didn't even flush , the only positive thing I can say was the lady at the reception called Lisa I think was very nice and sympathetic towards me as she whitenesed the way I was treated she was very professional ,but as for the management there service was not acceptable .

My whole experience was horrific I will never visit again

Beer, small 9 hole golf closes, great for little ones, beer garden great place to sit and relax and watch the final hole being played on the 18 hole course

Some of the staff were standoffish which was a shame.

Perfect location, great facilities, fantastic restaurant and breakfast. The size of the beds and bathroom were super luxurious.

room was a little dark and outdated, breakfast wasn't for Europeans (typical British breakfast, would have expected a little more choice), remote control missed batteries

Very quiet location, comfortable bed

There wasn't anything I didn't like.

The staff were fantastic, friendly and helpful! The room was immaculate and very comfy. The food was top notch! We were there for a wedding and it was absolutely perfect!

NOTHING

Could absolutely find anything negative about this hotel.I'm an ex B.A hostie and used to staying in great hotels and this was up with the best.Staff amazing and the best breakfast ever !

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

room service food when arrived was cold and the bathroom and spa area I smelt a bad drains smell twice and the carpet going into the pool changing room was filthy and needed replacing . Also despite being disabled not once was I asked if I needed any help with my luggage ! spa s should be places of retreat and this service should be offered at once .

the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good .

Restaurant staff are hopeless, waited 20 mins for 2 gin and tonics, restaurant wasn't even busy, all the staff standing about talking. Sat with empty plates for 30 mins while they all stood having a laugh. Not impressed with this atall. Breakfast was included in the room price. Went down at 8.30 and it was the same, no cups ,cutlery and room 15 mins to bring them to us, and they had ran out of some food.

Hotel was clean, food was average, reception staff and bar staff were lovely.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

We had 2 single beds when I stated we were staying for our wedding anniversary. The fire alarm went of just as I Got im the bath. The toilet was faulty. I think every room should have bath robes

Pool area was nice. The lady at breakfast was very polite and nice.

No items in fridge. Heating controls obscure. 11am check out is too early. Room rates

Very comfy bed. Good breakfast. Good views over golf course. Good reception staff. Reasonably priced bar meals.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

The lift was a tad old and grimey. I accidently went to the 2nd floor and it was all dark and gloomy - possibly for staff only and I nearly freaked out thinking this was where my room was!

Brilliant bed - slept like a brick! Nice big bathroom - room to move!

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Very poor room ,very bad smell,spoke with house keeping who new about it , No window or patio doors,a lot of work going on a lot of noise, breakfast not as good as it's been in the past very poor experience

Leaving not the best stay

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

There wasn't a single thing that we didn't like

The room was really nice, bed just so comfortable and the view from our room was lovely. Bathroom was excellent, tea and coffee in the room excellent, everything about the hotel was excellent

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

The hotel is looking dirty and tired. The staff are young and inexperienced. The bar wasn't well stocked and ran out of lots of things and the dining room is in need of a really good shine and polish.

The overall space and location was great. very peaceful. The room size was good The breakfast was lovely with plenty to choose from.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Only a strange grinding noise which woke me early in the morning put me off staying again, other than that the facilities, staff, breakfast were all great

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Poor service at the 19 th hole in the evening staff very young and very rude,food also very poor, different staff during the day very nice and helpful don't think I'll revisit this bar/ dinner

Staff at reception very good also staff at the pool very helpful

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

The restaurant staff were average, didn't put much effort or consistency into the service, not a high level of manners etc to what we've experienced elsewhere... Could of been a lot better. Food choices were also pretty basic, bland simple food. If you enjoy pub food like fish and chips or a roast dinner then no problem!

Facilities were great. First time visiting a Spa Hotel. Loved the facial and massage, definitely want to visit the spa again.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Lots of staff on duty but it was clear that some were new to the job, not fully trained and therefore giving out inaccurate information Friendly

Bedroom quiet, good bed and bathroom facilities

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

When at the spa, the massage bed didn't have a space to lie ur face in - this made it quite uncomfortable for a back massage. Also too many people crammed in to use spa facilities. On the first night we ordered an ice bucket - still waiting. Also had to chase up our drinks at bar at dinner and our free gifts had to be asked for twice which was meant to be in room on arrival.

Particular staff were much better than others - Senior at spa, Rebecca was lovely and really helpful. Took lead when all the other staff were just standing. Rooms are nice & big enough to lie back and relax in.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

Several issues with the room. At £235 a night I expected a spotless well maintained room. Cob webs stained lamp shades cracked tiled floor dirty bath mat, broken woodwork on wardrobe plug in heater which was broken and unstable strained bed and generally grubby and dated. Outside our room was dirty and cigarette stubs everywhere - The breakfast was ok but nothing 4* about it - salty fatty bacon and warm pots of coffee and waited too long to be seated. Definitely not 4* I'd say 3* I've stayed in much cleaner and contemporary hotels for £100 per night in the same area.

Garden and golf course is really nice and well kept. The staff agreed an early check in as we had booked a top rated room! Free parking. Staff were friendly and polite.

• Executive Golf Course Twin Room

The bed was a twin not double. Food was awful and rushed. Had to ring reception numerous times for room service and then service was rude.

One member of staff in the restaurant

Our booking was not on the system although booked about eight weeks before. They did look after us but we eventually got a room which we think was a kind of transit room - facilities dreadful. We believe it was a day room for visitors, SO DISAPPOINTED.

We loved the staff and breakfast was excellent

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

Booked stay with spa included and treatment of choice through booking .com , however hotel had no reference of this so would not accommodate or help saying I had to get in touch with whom I booked with . Also evening meal , could only pick two courses out of three and from budget menu . 4 people sent meals back and complained , finally got ours at 9.45 pm and it was slightly warm , also informed by hotel that we were allocated time slot for meal 8.30 , sat at table 9pm . Was not aware of allocated times to dine . This was too late for us .

Quiet atmosphere

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

We were seated in the restaurant next to the window with the sun blaring in asked to be moved but was told there was nowhere else to seat us but the restaurant was not full.

The location was lovely. Room very comfortable.

All great

Sorry neither of us drink coffee

N/a

Very friendly,relaxing atmosphere.staff pleasant and helpful. Room spacious and very nice to be able to sit in the garden in the evening.

Room and bar staff

Naked men in hotel. Had a room with no window

• Loft Classic

Lovely clean and friendly staff. Have Stayed here 4 times now and will definitely be staying again. ******

lovely place ,comfortable & good breakfast

Room very cold

Size of room

N/a

Nice and helpful staff, good and tasty food, great location.

Couldn’t find a fault

Amazing location

All good

Beds were comfy... Room serive, clean and quiet even though there was party's going on

found everything was lovely staff rooms the spa was great really enjoyed it, the breakfast was good, we had food in the bar was lovely,

lighting in room poor

Bed comfortable

Surveys

Clean staff helpful facilities good

Check out. WiFi.

Lovely large clean bedroom and bathroom.

It was comfortable and plenty of space to relax.

Jake on reception was amazing

Be aware there is hardly any phone coverage and the Wifi was dreadful

Great hotel, fantastic facilities

Wifi was very poor , always disconnect , Took very long to login on iPHone. Parking , took very long time to park the car , always full.

Cleanliness

No lights at entrance

Bigger dinner portions

Rooms spacious - separate bath & shower

Did not take Amex Car park very dark on a night, some street lights not on, wifi slow

Lovely grounds and views, staff excellent

Reading light too dim to read in bed by.

They made a mistake with my dinner order and gave me FREE pudding!

early beliverys and noisy golfers but carnt be helped

Everything was well located and clean and fresh

Originally told breakfast was free then had to pay!

Perfect pillows

Brilliant !

• Executive Golf Course Double Room

Cooked breakfast was cold. No plug for the bath. Bed was uncomfortable

Could have been cleaned.