Reviews of Fountain Court Apartments - Grove Executive 4 stars

121 Grove Street, Edinburgh, EH3 8AA, United Kingdom

#191 of 475 Holiday rentals in Edinburgh

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Never received my deposit back, nor a reply as to when I'll receive my deposit back. The wash/dryer combo did not have the correct instructions. Noone knew how to run the machine.

The layout.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The bathroom was incredibly hot like a sauna .. far too hot .. and shower was no more than a sprinkle

Apartment wAs central to everything nice clean and comfortable

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

They take a £100 deposit in addition to the room rent. Wasn’t prepared for that. Still not clear why they needed it. This should be clear on booking.com. (Despite this, I still recommend the place highly).

As a family of four, this was perfect. Two bedrooms, two nice spacious bathrooms, a well equipped kitchen and hall. Clean, airy, high quality linen and towels, everything about it was great. Very good access to the airport and Waverley station, with a bus stop just a minute away. A nice, if slightly long, walk back from the castle and lawmarket. Somewhat expensive, but good value. Highly recommended.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

I don’t think there’s anything I didn’t like.

Everything! It was really clean and smart, far more up market than I expected and facilities were excellent!! Towels and bedding were fab, the rooms were beautiful! Loved it! Worth the money and more but glad to be affordable so perfect price really!

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Last minute booking turned out to be an excellent choice. Great location, comfortable beds, super shower and HUGE fluffy white towels. Quiet but central location. Safe parking and friendly staff. We really could not have asked for more.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Bedrooms were a good size, but the beds could have been bigger.

Very nice place to stay. Ideal for a weekend with friends. Small living and kitchen area which came in handy,

Can't fault anything.

Comfortable and spacious apartment. Very clean. Close to local amenities. Couldn't fault. Would definitely stay here again.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Slamming doors (assume the fire doors), especially the housekeeping staff at 8am in the morning! Only 3 ‘seats’ in the living room on sofas for 4 people. Also not the most comfortable when sitting watching tv as they have been well used.

Location - can walk to Princes St and much more Additional space for family Well equipped kitchen if you chose to make your own food

• Studio Apartment

The apartment was very clean, quite spacious and we had no problems with the heating. In the night we had to turn off the heaters because it was too warm. The kitchen was well equipped and there is a small Tesco express very close to buy food and the main necessities. Our apartment was facing the interior court so we did not have any problems with the noise. It was an approx 20 min walk from the castle and 10 min to the bus station for the airport.

Nothing it was great!!!

The apartment was spacious and comfortable with contemporary decor! Absolutely spotless in a great location not far from the city centre and tourist hotspots all within walking distance. Staff were lovely in check in and helpful with our other questions! Late checkout and on site parking were a bonus.

• Studio Apartment

We had no hot water but the lovely lady at the desk gave us another room key to use a shower there.

In a great location, easy walk into the town. Staff were lovely and very accommodating and the facilities were very good.

• Studio Apartment

£100 deposit for room not advertised at all, had to pay upon arrival without prior knowledge.

Huge apartment, only stayed for a night but was great. The restaurants nearby were also fantastic there was no need to go back into town.

• Studio Apartment

When I arrived I hung up a shirt in the wardrobe, when I left I did the usual check to see if anything had been left but forgot to pick up the shirt, this was my fault of course. I remembered that I had left the shirt when I was still in Edinburgh and I rang the hotel to get the shirt back (that was definitely left in the wardrobe), they told me that they would get back in touch through my email or phone number but they didn't I had to ring them. After a week of me and and my partner contacting them they told me that they could not find the shirt. When I first rang them while I was still in Edinburgh they said that they had not been told about a shirt and that no one else was staying in that apartment at the time (not sure if this was the case) and would ask the housekeeping and would check CCTV footage but said they couldn't find any footage of someone leaving the room with a shirt. I told them myself that I would assume that the shirt was stolen by the housekeeping and I am adamant that the housekeeping must have stolen the shirt as no one else entered the room the day after. They told me they would cooperate with police if I wished to ring them, however I had no proof and live over 100 miles away. It's a shame as I loved the apartment, but I will never stay here again, we had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door and I feel that if we didn't housekeeping could have stolen more off me, as I said I have no proof of this but the situation points to them.

The room was well equipped with everything you would need in an apartment. Was clean on arrival and the reception staff were helpful.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The stereo system/iPod docking station didn't work.

The location was excellent. The apartment was very clean and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Studio Apartment

Dishwasher not clean, too little hot water, noicy fan at the bathroom, not so clean apartment, the bed too small for to relatively big people, only one duvet.

Lokation ok, parking ok, staff ok.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Had an issue with a bedroom window not closing properly but was dealt with promptly.

We had a 2 bedroom apartment in Grove Executive with 2 shower rooms for a family of 3 adults which was great, on the ground floor. Car park behind entrance with gates and code for entry. We were able to leave car there on checkout to return later for a flight from Edinburgh. 15/20 minutes walking to castle etc. Reception staff friendly and helpful.

It was good to have laundry facilities but the drying cycle of the washer/dryer was not very efficient and took an excessive amount of time to dry even a small load.

The location was great for us, within a 15 minute walk of Princes Street and the Royal Mile. As a group of 2 couples, the 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment was a great arrangement. We didn't use the cooking facilities but the kitchen seemed well equipped for the number of guests.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Possibly a bottle of water on arrival and maybe have had the car park code emailed prior to arrival!?

Cleanliness and space within the property! Attention to detail... dishwasher tablets and washing tablets etc!

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Bit of a curry odour in the living area, but got used to it.

Good clean and quiet accommodation. 5 mins from Lothian Road with choice of the Grassmarket or Princes Street. Private parking is a bonus (£10/24h) as public parking around Fountainbridge is a bit of a lottery.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Have to shut curtains as could see straight into neighbouring buildings, and vice versa.

A 2 bedroomed apartment with 2 shower rooms made the mornings much easier for the whole family.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Location was within walking distance of restaurants and less than a mile to the castle. The 2 rooms and 2 full bathrooms accommodated our 4 person family very well.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The appartment wasn't clean and my 11 month old was constantly picking up bits of dirt/fluff etc off the carpet to put in his mouth. The cot provided was not broken in anyway but I think it was probably overused and seemed very uneven/uncomfortable. We ended up having to take the baby into our bed as he kept waking up very unsettled (which we have never done in the past) It was a very wet day and no street parking, I phoned up the hotel for a code for the parking gate, they told me I would have to park up outside somewhere (there was no-where) stating that traffic wardens don't work on a Saturday and check in first before giving me a code. With 2 young and tired children in the car topped with the bad weather and my husband having to continuously loop around blocks whilst I stood in a long queue to check in wasn't a fun start to the trip. The appartment was very hot at night and very noisy outside if we left the window open.

We were offered a change of room from the downstairs room (very dark/dingy with noise from car park/traffic) without any difficulties, staff happy to change for us.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

It was dirty/ hadn't been vacuumed properly and the kitchen and remotes/phones were obviously not cleaned for a time. The wooden furniture was knocked and tatty.

The finishes were modern and well kept in the kitchen and bath. The front desk staff was very cheerful and helpful

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Nothing really. only noise levels from outside which you can not help being near student accommadation.

The apartment was very good,just as described. We had 2 issues that were sorted out straight away. Good access to floor, clean and smart. Thank you.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Penthouse

One of the mattresses was broken down and was not addressed during our 3 day stay.

A great facility in a great location. A Tesco Express was within one block and lots if bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. 15 minute walk to Grassmarket and all the tour buses

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Penthouse

Twin beds quite basic - more like child beds. Car parking v safe but at an additional cost.

Great apartments. Good size. Well equiped. Spacious. Comfortable lounge area. Good location. We stayed in 2 bed + 2 bath. Double bed v comfortable.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Penthouse

Don't like additional charges for parking. The access throughout the car park was very tight. We had to inform the staff that there wasn't a toaster in our apartment.

Staff were friendly. Apartment was clean and spacious. Location was good.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The smell! I like a curry but this apartment reeked of stale curry. Left windows open all day every day to no avail. Place was not particularly clean and I tried to locate source and do a bit of scrubbing but it didn't help. Instructions for safe in bedroom were in a file in kitchen with kitchen appliance instructions!! Phone broken and plumbing under sink came apart whilst there which my husband fixed himself! Fountain Court need to do some renovation on this place or at least get some decent cleaners in. Fat runs down the facia behind hob was pretty disgusting.

Apartment had 2 bathrooms which was great for adult family. Location not too bad. Security good. Reported broken phone and within 10 mins we had a guy fix.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Apartment dirty, Thick Dust Everywhere!!! Shower, inside kitchen drawers, inside microwave, utensils, filthy!!, Our kitchen bin had a broken lid when we arrived, we asked for it to be replaced, even left a note for housekeeping. Reception came to our room on the 3rd day to say that they had no other bin to give us so we had to use the sanitary bin from the bathroom!!!! Disgusting. 4* apartments???

spacious apartment. Comfortable Beds.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

If you were planning on full self catering there wouldn't have been enough cooking pans/trays or microwave cooking items. Apartment a little dark but we were on the ground floor at the back, slightly below the level of the car park! Car park is an additional £10 per night, which seems slightly expensive but it was convenient. Not a homely place.

Apartment convenient for the city & had two shower rooms so useful when there are 4 people. Showers good and beds comfy. Good eating places closes by and tesco express just round the corner.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Screaming seagulls all morning starting early, loud people outside, lots of traffic outside. If I went back I would ask for a room not facing the street.

Great space for the price, convenient to public transportation and shops, amazing staff.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

the seating was very worn and needs replacing. The hairdryer was missing but housekeeping replaced in a reasonable time. Satnav had great difficulty directing us due to one way system

having two bathrooms

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Perhaps some instructions could be written/given where to find local shops & cafes. (they are all fairly near but I have difficulty in walking and set off in the wrong direction) I should have asked the staff on duty! The living area blinds didn't fit the gaps properly.

Penthouse apartment - very spacious, clean, good condition, really good appearance with touches of luxury, comfortable rooms, peaceful, well-equipped with all you would need for a longer stay,a lift, independence, friendly staff and all was as the advert stated.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The reception area is small and sometimes crowded. When there are a few people talking there, it is difficult to talk with the staff. Sound echoes in the room.

The lounge area in the apartment was comfortable. Hotel location was good.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Problems with wi-fi. Uninteresting (and partly shabby( immediate surroundings.

Two bathrooms in the apartment, lift, big living room cum kitchen, well-equipped kitchen, comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

First time we have stayed in a serviced apartment - excellent idea, and Fountain Court was top rate. Couldn't fault anything. Ideal location - just a short stroll to Lothian road or Haymarket Station. Staff were so helpful and friendly. Definitely stay here again if in Edinburgh.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

No breakfast box is included.

2 bedroom apartment had 2 bathrooms. 20 minute walk from Market Place. Secured parking behind the building (£10). Good location if driving from the Edinburgh Airport.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

We couldn't find our room easily. Luckily a staff passed by and he showed us where our room is. Our Flat is 406. Maybe you could a put sign post from carpark to find rooms easily .

Bed is so comfy, with ensuite bathroom, location is good.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Penthouse

The apartments were perfect and could not have asked for better. We felt the price was a bit higher than expected. The location was also perfect. As we are pure vegetarian, there were many restaurants nearby that catered for our needs.

The noise outside as our room 407 was facing the street

Tv in both bedrooms, two shower rooms, comfortable beds and cleanliness of apartment plus within walking distance of main attractions and shops.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

When we arrived at the property I had to pay a security deposit which is fine however I wasn't advised that this would take 7 days to go back into my account I think you should be advised of this as I would have used a different card for this or what would be better is an option of leaving a cash deposit which could be given back on checkout

Staff at the apartments were very good and accommodating. I was very pleased with the accommodation and would use again.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Put this under comfort as the hall & bedrooms stank of paint!! Really should have been aired fro probably a week before letting! Nearly had to take my bedding t the lounge and sleep on the settee!!

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Freshly smell paint that's very suffocating all night. One window doesn't close properly and reported it but I've got a blank face. A £100 deposit is a downside but I believe it's a rule that some accommodation sets by the owners and had I not reported the broken window then I might presume that they can turn around and tell me that my deposit has been forfeited because of the broken window which I discovered when I went into my room. Asking for my passport is classify as stereotyping because I used the same card when I booked my accommodation as well as when I checked in and the card which I used thinking it was a valid and sufficient proof since I'm a regular Booking.com customer but instead the girl at the reception named Stephanie that never smiled and I had to make her smile asked for my passport which luckily I have it in my car. The front desk people should be more welcoming and nonjudgmental which if it's not their nature I believe then it's difficult to instil it in their mind because we are all unique. But hiring a front desk staff that deals with clients from all over the world needs to be more understanding of multicultural society and diversity.

I like the amenities and location.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Studio Apartment

The discounts that were provided didn't work for any of the attractions that where listed in the black book

I liked the fact that you could control the heating and the bed was very comfy

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

We stayed for 1 night with our 2 year old & wish we booked for longer. Family friendly. Lovely clean apartment with excellent facilities. 20/30 min walk to Edinburgh castle so great on location. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Studio Apartment

I didnt like the fact our room had no hot water. Had to wait 40 minutes until we were eventually given a different room to shower in. They were supposed to be non-smoking rooms but there was a horrible smell of stale smoke in the room. I also was horrified to find a sex toy at the end of the bed, clearly the beds arent moved ofter enough for severe cleaning. But I will take this up with the hotel personally as at check out there was noone on reception. If the rooms were a bit tidier it would have made our stay that little bit better.

The location of the property was great & the layour of the rooms was nice & nice friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Lovey modern apartment near Haymarket Station.Finding Tea Coffee sugar and milk was a bonus though Tesco is literally around the corner. Very near everything ....loved it be will return soon.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Apartment was not serviced when we got back from our day out and they only came to do it at 5pm. We decided that we didn't want it done as it would have been hassle.

Spacious apartment, ideal for a family with young children. Very well equipped.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The street could be a bit noisy with cars and people.

The two bathrooms in the double/twin room were good. The staff were obliging in storing our luggage. The location was convenient to Edinburgh castle etc. there were good cafes and pubs a walk away.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Noisy Location (main thoroughfare), Temperature was hard to control (Each radiator has a thermostat, but with them all off the place was still very hot) and a bit far from the castle, certainly felt more then 750 yards advertised. Parking was a bit steep at £10 a night

Spacious apartment which was very clean. Super friendly staff, and great location with off street parking. Local Tesco is 2 mins walk, and very close to a cinema and bowling alley.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was very worn and shabby. There were marks all over the carpet, the bedding was stale and the curtains dirty. The walls had marks all over them. It was functional but not four star. We couldn't turn down the heaters in the bathrooms and they became very hot.

The staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Check out time was early as 10.30am

The apartment was very clean and well equipped. Extremely comfortable & walking distance from a lot of bar, pubs and restaurants. 25 minute walk to Edinburgh Castle.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Portable appliance tests, 2 years out of date. Hob unsafe. Kitchen dirty. Kitchen shelves fell out as missing supports. I gave the manager this feedback and was assured that I would be contacted regarding the issues. However since they have not bothered I feel I should put something on here. They class this as executive apartments, having previously stayed a few years ago, this description was on the money, but now they have let standards slip and it is not worth the price that they charge.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

It was very small, definitely not as big as the pictures show, dirty, extremely noisy due to being on a busy road (even with the windows closed) and extremely hot and stuffy.

The location is not too bad - 15min walk to the castle. However, it's in a very run down area with people hanging around on the street until very late.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Could not find fault with anything. Only a one night stay in a two bedroom apartment with our daughter and granddaughter, to meet our son and girlfriend who were also very impressed.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Light carpet everywhere, stains which made it look dirty. Noisy in the mornings as travellers were passing by.

Quite close to city - easy access with bus or taxi, also within walkable distance (15 min.). Tesco close by for food.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Small details of how the apartment was finished. One of the ceiling lights was hanging out of the socket in the hall. One of the door handles in the bathroom with only the minimum number of screws to attach it!

The overall appearance of the flat was to a good standard, we liked the decor and pictures. The care from the staff was very good. There was a double bed in a room where we had requested twin beds, but the beds were rearranged quickly. A relatively late-night request for more pillows was not a problem and was also dealt with cheerfully and efficiently. We were touched that dirty dishes were put in the dishwasher for us - we had intended to do them ourselves :-)

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Cleanliness behind kitchen trash can Vacuum tequired at carpet edge with walls

Washer and iron with washing detergent Comfort including double glazed windows Ice cubes! Staff are friendly and helpful

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Parking was a bit expensive

Facilities in the apartment were excellent

The mode of payment

Cleanliness

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

An excellent location with fantastic amenities. Will definitely use again.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was spacious, clean and with excellent facilities. Each bedroom had its own bathroom with shower

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

One duvet for two persons.

We were 11 persons and we all was very happy with our stay.

• Studio Apartment

The best had no bed sheet on it

The man at the the main desk was nice, that was it.

Apartment was very spacious,

• Studio Apartment

Very central and close to everyth8ng.

Friendly staff lovely room

Nothing at all.

Everything! Absolutely everything you could need. Very clean & comfortable.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Beds could have been a bit bigger

Comfortable, clean very helpful staff.

Service, cleanliness, room service

Lovely, everything you need

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Penthouse

Expense of parking on site can mount up

Staff on reception very helpful Apartments generous size Good location

• Studio Apartment

The bed wasn't very comfortable

The location was great the staff were friendly and the apartment was lovely clean with all facilities needed

• Studio Apartment

Need more instruction on where exits and entrances are

• One-Bedroom Apartment