2. UK hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Friendship House

Reviews of Friendship House

3 Belvedere Place, Southwark, London, SE1 0AJ, United Kingdom

Based on 128 hostel reviews

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: December 30, 2018

I was quite satisfied with my stay in Friendship House since it was only for a couple of nights.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The bathroom looked like cleaned however not very well cleaned before arrival since there were a few pieces of hair remained on the shower wall. Chair in the room was dirty. Pillows were in terrible smell although the pillow covers were clean. Probably they put clean covers on smelly dirty pillows. And all the room was in a bad heavy smell due to the smell of pillows. I asked the reception to change it and they immediately changed them with the clean ones and then the smell of the room is changed.

The staff were very kind and helpful. They gave me a towel since I didn't have one. I had a problem with the hot water and they took immediate action and sorted it out. Absolutely appreciated. I asked them to change the pillows and they changed them with the clean ones immediately. They are really nice and kind people.

• Reviewed: December 27, 2018

Such a comfy bed, was not expecting that!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

It wasn't very clear where the entrance was, I had to ring and ask and then had to have a member of staff come to let me in

Such a comfy bed, was not expecting that!

• Reviewed: December 26, 2018

Very nice and helpful staff, well-located (London Bridge...

Shower was a bit dirty

Very nice and helpful staff, well-located (London Bridge 10-15 minutes by foot). There is probably no better place to stay if you are in London for a few days and on a low budget!

• Reviewed: December 24, 2018

Good value for the location, friendly staff. The down point was the bed, uncomfortable mattress and
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The bed. Very uncomfortable mattress, I could feel the springs, and a very small duvet.

Good price for the location. The room, which looks like more a student residence, very clean.

• Reviewed: December 20, 2018

the property was cheap
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The property was not in a very populated area it is student accomodation. Which I was unaware of when I booked. Very basic! I had to return back down to reception to ask for a towel.

the property was cheap

• Reviewed: December 20, 2018

Basic, functional accomodation
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

It is a student accommodation, so don't expect large double beds and free soap, but for basic, comfortable functional place to sleep its tough to get better.

The accommodation was very good value for money by London standards and more than functional. Staff were friendly and accommodated my very early check in.

• Reviewed: December 18, 2018

So nice house, with prefect equipment.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

So nice house, with prefect equipment. Actually, this is an apartment opened to students, workers and tourists. Living here just like in dormitories. Very kind and friendly guy in reception, help me more this day.

• Reviewed: December 17, 2018

dissapointing
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

With the exception of bed linen there was nothing in the grubby little room. Nothing you would reasonably expect, towel shower mat/towel soap. The heat was on all the time and the radiator valve didn't seem to work. Poor facilities all round.

own toilet shower

• Reviewed: December 17, 2018

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Kitchen locker was quite dirt and there wasn't even a glass or a mug. There's no vending machines Reception doesn't work 24/7 Hard to find the right entrance - should include a note as per Borough road 46-48 Some of the halls smelled mold

Location Bed was small but ok

• Reviewed: June 9, 2018

Very useful place, I will stay there again.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Not knowing my way around the building. Also the lift did not work - it could not be called from the 2nd floor.

The ease with which I could walk to my conference in Cowcross Street neat Fleet Street. Being close to Tesco Express was useful. The ease of check in was good. Having the use of a kitchen was very handy.

• Reviewed: June 7, 2018

Quiet, clean, well located, bring your own towel!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I did not notice that the room did not have towel or soap when I booked, though it was on the information I was sent, so this was my fault. The room is basic, but perfectly adequate.

Good value for money. The room was clean and quiet.

• Reviewed: April 4, 2018

Basic, it looks like student accommodation, but clean and...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Basic, it looks like student accommodation, but clean and everything is there. Used it for a couple of days when engineering works meant I couldn't get to and from work - take your own towels

• Reviewed: January 25, 2018

NC
    • Single Bed in Male 2 Bed Dormitory Room

They told me the charge was not applied with my credit card and I had to pay with cash, then I checked and they had actually charged on my credit card so they charged me double.

NC

• Reviewed: January 15, 2018

Sheets but no towel, so I had to buy one for £4.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Sheets but no towel, so I had to buy one for £4.99 which made the cost of my stay £49 not £44. There was a notice on the wall of reception 'towels £4.99 so it looks like a regular thing. It may have said in the small print no bath towel and i didn't read it well enough. linen provided does usually mean towel as well as sheets. I could have brought one from home had I realised.

• Reviewed: January 6, 2018

A good budget option close to the South Bank.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The bed isn’t super comfortable, but it’s what you might expect at these prices.

This is more hall of residence than hotel, but my single room with en suite was perfectly clean and offered great wi fi. It’s also just a 15 minute walk from the South Bank.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2018

Good. I'd stay there again as the price is good for the location.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

No TV in room. Floor a bit dusty, which affected my sinuses.

Felt safe as a woman travelling alone. Clean private bathroom. Excellent location for sightseeing. Walking distance from New Year's fireworks, which was my main reason for visiting. Shops just next door.

• Reviewed: January 1, 2018

The room was clean and well located for such a reasonable...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

When I arrived, the hotel did not have my reservation (although they explained that this was through an error on booking.com than with t

The room was clean and well located for such a reasonable price

• Reviewed: December 22, 2017

It was okay, and good for the money, but I wouldn't want to pay full price
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Next to the railway so was very noisy. There were 2 fridges in the room which were very noisy and there was noise coming from the plumbing all night. The bed was a folding metal bed with a very soft mattress that you could feel the springs underneath. I ended up lying on the cover. Shower a bit grubby with black marks in the sealant.

It was cheap, however I wouldn't want to pay the normal full price as there are better alternatives around. However at £33 / night which is what paid, it was a fair price. It was very basic, but clean. Very good security inside a gated area. Next to a pub and a small Tesco. Also not far from a bus stop to get into London.

• Reviewed: December 22, 2017

Ok if you are desperate but I wouldn't pay £43. £3 maybe but not £43
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

No towels - extra charge of £4.99 but not available after 10pm. Cash only. Room stank - "rested" (as didn't sleep) with the window open all night.

Not a lot

• Reviewed: December 17, 2017

Good value for money, could be bit better
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Unfortunately for me the bed was uncomfortable - I'm probably used to a double bed so single felt too narrow, someone else might feel differently. The most uncomfortable was the heating, it was too hot during the night and the radiator could not be turned down as it was broken. The window was also locked and could not be open, even after I asked reception. Still, good value for money. I have stayed in expensive hotels where the heating was patchy so you never know.

The place is well located you can walk from Elephant & Castle Tube Station, easy check-in/out, friendly staff, clean and tidy room. Considering the money you pay do not expect anything amazing, but the place is great VFM.

• Reviewed: December 16, 2017

Really helpful reception, calm and friendly ambiance near interesting places and the tube system
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I was really happy with my choice. If I was pressed I'd have to say that one of the walls looked a little worn in the bedroom, it could have done with a lick of paint, but that is all.

I got the impression the property was an ex student hall of residence. The room and ensuite facilities were great for me. I've stayed at many more expensive places that didn't come close to the welcome and ambiance that Friendship House offered. I had come to London for an intensive French course so this was perfect for me. I loved my room and the set up.

• Reviewed: December 6, 2017

A basic but clean and comfortable budget option.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

There was no towel in my en-suite, and I was charged £5 to buy one.

More akin to a university hall than a hotel or hostel, my single room was basic but very clean and comfortable. En-suite was immaculate and the free wi-fi superb. It's also just a 10-15 minute walk from Waterloo station and the south bank.

• Reviewed: September 10, 2017

Glad to have stayed there despite the issues with cleanliness and comfort
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

No towel inclided. Light over sink not working. Dirty and dusty in many places: fibers in shower drain, dust on many surfaces and edges and corners. Bed only a fold-up cot with metal springs in the mattress (not terrible, but certainly less than standard comfort). Unclean shared kitchen.

Quiet. Very friendly service. Great to have exercise facilities. Good, open view onto central courtyard. Secure, gated access. Lift to upper floors. Within biking distance to major parts of London.

• Reviewed: July 25, 2017

South Bank University should be ashamed of its offer at Friendship House
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Last Summer, I stayed at Imperial College's Princes Gardens student accommodation which was so much better than Friendship House. All areas at Friendship House were filthy - dirty light switches, handles etc, marks and prints all over the walls in the room, the gym equipment had dried sweat all over it. The only thing supplied in the room is a toilet roll. No towel, shower mat, soap, coat hangers etc. On arrival I had to phone someone to attend reception. All a complete contrast to Princes Gardens. As for students renting it, bearing in mind what they pay, I feel sorry for them as there clearly isn't much consideration for the 'paying tenant'. Shower head blocked with limescale, shower curtain drapes in the tray... very poor standards all round. I don't normally write very much in these reviews but felt compelled as this place really isn't looking after its guests - students and holiday period visitors alike.

The location was good for my visit.

• Reviewed: May 4, 2017

great location, basic accom (student halls essentially) -...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

it could do with a spruce (carpets, bathroom etc) but for the price I paid it was better than I may have got elsewhere

great location, basic accom (student halls essentially) - provided just what I needed for 1 night

• Reviewed: April 17, 2017

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

You get what you pay for. When I entered my room I noticed a bad smell, went to one of the fridges and found the whole bottom of the fridge covered in crusty soured milk. Cleanliness is obviously not a top priority, but then again you're getting pretty cheap accomodation.

• Reviewed: April 15, 2017

no frills fab value
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Access to the room was via the porter only, there was no key provided. There were no towels, fair enough but some toilet paper would've been nice; but at this price one can hardly complain.

Very convenient very cheap and clean.

• Reviewed: April 14, 2017

Good location for reasonable price
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Nothing to put here really. Obviously you get what you pay for and for the money it was very good.

It's a good place if you value your privacy and want to get your own room for a reasonable price, rather than stay in a dorm. Location is very convenient and you can walk to a lot of places from there

• Reviewed: April 13, 2017

Worst experience ever!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I arrived at 9 and was advised that I would have to buy a towel, the bedding wasn't made, nor clean, I wasn't allowed a room key as I arrived after 8, the bathroom was disgusting! If it wasn't so late there is no way I would have stayed! Want a refund!

Absolutely nothing!

• Reviewed: April 12, 2017

Remember your own towel and toiletries! Overall a pleasant nights kip!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The bathroom could do with a refresh or a deep clean, it wasn't mouldy, just a bit worn. No toiletries or towels provided so bring your own! Saying that they did provide two small fridges in the room which was a nice bonus. The bed is a little too firm but I did sleep comfortably.

Friendly and honest staff. Private bathroom with very good shower and use of a shared kitchen. Bang in the centre of everywhere I had to be. It was also incredibly quiet, literally no noise from other guests (a little from the building vents but easily ignored). Gym and vending machines available for use.

• Reviewed: April 8, 2017

Fantastic value for money, the guys on reception were really...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The ensuite needed a little tlc but nothing serious.

Fantastic value for money, the guys on reception were really lovely and friendly. Can't recommend highly enough.

• Reviewed: April 5, 2017

It was so warm and cosy.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I know it's a hostel but just having a bar of soap and hand towel would have been useful

It was so warm and cosy. I had more comfort than I would get in a 5 star hotel. It was even quiet in my room.

• Reviewed: March 28, 2017

it wasn't good at all and I can't recommend anyone to go there.
    • Single Bed in Male 2 Bed Dormitory Room

I didn't sleep in a room I have book, I ended up passing the whole night in the Library of the property. When I got there I gave my passport to the receptionist and after check it he gave me the key to my room. So I went up straight to my room and met my roommate there, after like two hours the guy started to fold a drug wrap one of the major drug that I won't mention due to my security, so after then I ask my self how can I sleep in the same room with someone who is under influence of a very powerful drug ? And went down to the reception to ask if I can add some money to get my own room, and the security told me that the person who is in charge of has left, so I decided to stay in the library until morning. I had an interview the next day at London South Bank University but due to fatigue and stress it didn't go well as I wished.

It was nearer to where I had an interview the next day

• Reviewed: February 8, 2017

have a wonderful experience in friendship house,19 pounds include free fitness and share a big room
    • Single Bed in Female 2 Bed Dormitory Room

it's not easy to book in booking.com

big space, big private bathroom, private locker and kitchen,just two people share the room,each one has its own drawer and table, fitness room.many instrument in the kitchen.The boss is very polite

• Reviewed: January 12, 2019

Rooms overlooking the pleasant courtyard with fountain.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Rooms overlooking the pleasant courtyard with fountain. Very quiet so good nighr’s sleep

• Reviewed: January 11, 2019

Great location for work purposes.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Small room with no t.v but you het what you pay for.

Great location for work purposes.Reception staff very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: January 7, 2019

fair
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

hot water in sink was VERY hot no towels or soap provided weird sounds coming from bathroom vents

relatively cheap

• Reviewed: January 5, 2019

the man at the fromt desk was very nice and helpful !
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

the man at the fromt desk was very nice and helpful ! emmanuel i think!

• Reviewed: December 22, 2018

Excellent value, practical place in a great location.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Calm atmosphere and genuinely friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: December 15, 2018

Great location and value for money!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Great location and value for money! Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2018

Convenient location, secure, close to amenities.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Convenient location, secure, close to amenities.

• Reviewed: August 16, 2018

Served its purpose.
    • Single Bed in Female 2 Bed Dormitory Room

Served its purpose. Bathroom is a bit worn down but for a one night stay before traveling on further it worked well

• Reviewed: June 8, 2018

Cost very good value
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Hard to find and you have to take your own towels

Cost very good value

• Reviewed: May 13, 2018

Price
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Unbelievably basic, not even a towel, though I assumed that it was an Hotel and it isn't.

Price

• Reviewed: February 1, 2018

Very convenient, great value for money, good location close to Borough and London Bridge.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Excellent staff - very helpful. Nice to have the gym.

• Reviewed: January 26, 2018

great

none

excillent

• Reviewed: January 4, 2018

After the first night, I accustomed myself to the the sparse amenities
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

No amenities - I had to buy my own towel at the front desk.

Price, location, heat and hot water. It seemed to be very quiet

• Reviewed: December 30, 2017

Worth for the price
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

No toiletries provided... u have to bring your own towel and toiletries...

Overall it is clean and comfortable place ...

• Reviewed: December 14, 2017

Suitable for a one night stop over if money is tight.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Foul smells in parts of the building and room was dirty with mark on walls and all scratchs. Dridge was noisy and kept cutting in and out all night.

• Reviewed: December 9, 2017

great receptionist called paolo

• Reviewed: June 20, 2017

Nice staff.

No air conditioning.

Nice staff. Cleanly kept building, had elevator.

• Reviewed: April 22, 2017

Excellent, but be careful if you're arriving late!

No 24hr reception

Privacy, bathroom

• Reviewed: April 18, 2017

spacious single room with enough working area.

very noisy refridgerator.

spacious single room with enough working area.

• Reviewed: April 7, 2017

Great stay at the Friendship House!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Extremely nice and helpful people

• Reviewed: February 27, 2017

the reception is nice.
    • Single Bed in Female 2 Bed Dormitory Room

the reception is nice. people are nice and help with each other.

• Reviewed: February 9, 2016

Convenient location, clean room, value of money

the map did not show location correctly, so was rather hard to fine it. Even I use navigator it was still hard to got to place and I was lucky to met a man who brought me to exact place.

Convenient location, clean room, value of money

• Reviewed: February 3, 2016

Clean comfortable and functional.

Clean comfortable and functional. More of a student halls type of arrangement. Last minute trip to London for work, without the expense of a luxury hotel. Staff on reception pleasant and helpful. Would stay here again.

• Reviewed: January 24, 2016

In centre London, the guest house has so reasonable price...

The locaton of house is not close from tube.

In centre London, the guest house has so reasonable price and comfortable for me. The condition of house is pretty mordern and clean. The best thing is I can use the room alone for cheap price.

• Reviewed: January 23, 2016

Good price, great location, fridge in room.

No toilet paper provided in room, also no towel provided

Good price, great location, fridge in room. Individual controlled heating, tv in room, and use of kitchen with most facilities you would expect. All things considered this is a great base if your on a budget and looking for a central London location, I will stay again.

• Reviewed: January 11, 2016

Staff is nice and friendly.

-The gym is small and works only till 9PM. I still wonder why it can't be used in the evenings... -Some rust in the bathroom. -Dirty fridge.

Staff is nice and friendly. And they printed my boarding pass. Location is good - not far from the center and Tesco is just behind the corner. Lots of shelves - it is an ideal place for students.

Location is great.

Kitchen appliances is terrible. Microwave and kettle needs a change. Bed is not very comfortable so a stay of more than three days might give me back problems. Pillows are terribly flat, they need to go in the bin so also is duvet cover, I had a neck pain from just two night sleep. No towels provided and no toiletries, OK but no warning on website before so didn't know but good job I had a small towel.

Location is great. Its central and I can easily get around. Room is a bit small but on the plus side good with a shower room.

• Reviewed: February 7, 2016

Good localisation,

Toilet smelled.

Good localisation, Cheap

• Reviewed: January 25, 2016

The Hostel is clean, safe, secure and great value for money

The Hostel is clean, safe, secure and great value for money

• Reviewed: January 23, 2016

It's in central of London, Friendly staff and the gym...

The shared kitchen was messy!

It's in central of London, Friendly staff and the gym room.

• Reviewed: January 7, 2016

Value and location

bathroom was not particularly clean

Value and location

Rasinable price & the faciiries very good

Rasinable price & the faciiries very good

Location was good

Very small aprtment and bed, wasn't clean and next day no one came to clean it to my digust...

Location was good

private room with good value of money

a bit unfriendly staffs

private room with good value of money

There are also 30 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

We Price Match