Reviews of Gable End Hotel

North Drive, Great Yarmouth, NR30 4EW, United Kingdom

#48 of 74 hotels in Great Yarmouth

Quiet well kep beachfront hotel
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Breakfast not included. By definition I would have thought that a B&B would have breakfast included, not an extra for £6.99.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and was kept to a very high standard.

Perfect
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

The manager was fantastic, quickly appreciated we were three ultra cyclists and came up with great options if we were over tired etc All really appreciated and of course the hotel was perfect and quiet Many thanks

Nobody told me you had to order breakfast the might before,...
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

Nobody told me you had to order breakfast the might before, neaver known anything like that before, l been asked if I wanted breakfast when I signed in but never had to go looking for somebody to ask.

We were very disappointed with the hotel and will not visit it again stay
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

We quickly realised that the hotel was trying to save money at every opportunity and the little touches that you expect from a hotel of this advertised calibre were missing.

Nothing comes to mind.

apart from the appalling accommodation our stay was ok
    • Family Room

Everything,wished we had booked into the marine hotel for the duration of our stay,we we supposed to come home Sunday,but was so impressed with the marine hotel that we stayed another night at the marine,clean room,friendly and helpful staff and 15 pound cheaper per night than the gable end,would not recommend the gable end to a dog,but the marine I say enough in this space to how good the marine was

Nothing,the room stunk of cats wee was riddled with fleas,cats coming in the room in the early hours,there was no atmosphere hard to find a staff member

realy enjoyed our stay with them many thanks
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

knowing we going home soon

the room was very clean and bed was comfy and the hotel was very clean and nice people there we realy enjoyed our stay with them will recomend to others many thanks

Very friendly and a great location.
    • Twin Room (2 Adults)

Very friendly and a great location. No need to use the car much as town centre was in walking distance. Weather was fantastic too a bonus in uk. Would go stay again.

Great Yarmouth is still a grate place to go still love it but I don't think we will stay again.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

I think we just had a one off bad time. We rang the bell at 1.45pm on arrival and the door was not opened for 10+minutes we was standing around after a long drive, walk around the beach and arcades. Wife had a back issues and just wanted to have a rest. We got in are room it looked lovely, but after some time we started to see stuff as a man the first thing was the TV (World Cup) BBC1 and ITV channels bad signal every 3 or 4 min it was fuzzing out! The loo was not flushed had Wee in it the bad sheets we don't think had been changed for a while and the window latch was falling off and just generally dirty room. As it was one night we did not say anything but for £65 me and the wife have been marred 14 years and every year we go to Great Yarmouth all the hotels we have stayed in no issues even the £25 a night ones so was a shame to have this happen.

The Staff ware wonderful (but I only think it was one working) the building was lovely room looked good the breakfast was spot on.

It was ok
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The hotel is too dark. And the prices are wrong for the evening meal. Theres no key box to put your key in. Wont be going there again.

The comfy beds clean hotel room.

Food tasty but needed to be hot, everthing else was perfect.
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Breakfast was served on cold plate, mushrooms, bacon and egg cold by time I received it, needs to be served on hot plate.

Food tasty but needed to be hot, everthing else was perfect. Many thanks for great stay

Exactly what I need when travelling on buisiness
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The price charged reflects the facilities and general quality of this hotel and I really have no complaints about anything other than the bed in my room was not the most comfortable, but that's a very subjective and personal thing !

Simply my sort of hotel. Small unsophisticated, quiet, a little old fashioned but perfectly adequate with good food and a reasonable selection of beverages. I always stay here when I'm in GY on business

Very disappointed
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The room that we stayed in was very dirty, the shower hose was filthy and the extractor fan was very dusty. When we left on the day of departure the lady just took our keys and didn’t asked whether we had a good stay or wished us safe journey. Would not go back

Friendly staff, clean rooms good location.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Room nicely decorated, clean with comfortable bed. Room was also quiet big as wardrobes were either side of bed. Shower and bathroom facilities all clean.

Rooms clean and tidy, great shower.
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

Rooms clean and tidy, great shower. Parking provided, short walk into the main centre. Staff welcoming and friendly, opposite the beach in a nice and quiet part of Great Yarmouth...

Mostly OK, needs wifi sorting and tired rooms refurnished, cleaning is about 95% ok room 17
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

I booked 2 rooms for the same price, My brothers room on 1st floor had modern clean furniture, wall mounted reasonable sized TV , wifi was OK, His room number 14. My room number 17 on the 2nd floor, had very weak wifi which was too weak to be usable, the furniture in my room was very tired , the TV was very small, the extractor fan in bathroom was dirty, The staff offered me the use for wifi only of a guest room on another floor but signal strength was too low, breakfast was good on day 1 but day 2 the breakfast bar had not been put out so things like cornflakes, Weetabix, and bowls were missing, I tried wifi on various floors its very hit and miss.

Bed was very comfortable,

Quiet location and the lady who seems to do everything was...
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The bed dipped down in the middle and it was uncomfortable. I wanted just toast for breakfast but was told it would cost £4.00. When we booked through Booking.com it clearly said breakfast was included in the price.

Quiet location and the lady who seems to do everything was lovely.

Visiting family who live in Great Yarmouth, will def stay here again
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

pressure of shower could have been better but was manageable, room a bit on the small side but for what we paid was fine, think on next visit we'd book a deluxe room

Very clean everywhere, owner very friendly, bar open late afternoon/early evening, good choice of breakfast, good location on the seafront

First time staying here, and would certainly use again if available.
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Mattress a bit too soft for our liking, so a little trouble sleeping.

Friendly staff always available, and helpful with local knowledge regarding choices of restaurants.

Excellent Breakfast.

Shower has a curtain rather than screen so is not a pleasant experience. The water was too hot and couldn't get it cooler.

Excellent Breakfast. Room 15 was comfortable but on the small side. Very welcoming staff.

The location is great, away from the hustle and bustle but...
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

I found the price of the room for what it was was very high, there was no one around to check out so had to leave the keys and go

The location is great, away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to beaches and the main areas

The Bed was so comfy and pillows like home - the views from...

Nothing everything was excellent

The Bed was so comfy and pillows like home - the views from room were good and the owners ere 100% in fact because it was low season we were the only guests but every effort was made to make us feel at home - would defintely come back to this lovely personal hotel

Fuss free pleasant stay
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

Nothing - A very polished entrance and reception area with interesting crafts in a nice glass cabinet.

The fact the staff treated me like a normal person, I am disabled but try to be independent whenever possible, the staff offered to help but once I stated I was fine and had a routine, they kindly respected my wishes and let me get on with it. The staff I met were first class from arrival to departure. The Wi-Fi was excellent, I streamed a full football match onto my tablet without a single glitch. If in East Anglia again, I would attempt to stay at the Gable end first...

Excellent hotel!!
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

There are a couple of things that let the stay we had down, the bathroom tiles could have done with a good clean down and the mattress on the bed was really hard, unfortunately i woke up in pain due to this, the stay would have been perfect if it wernt for these minor issues

The staff were excellent at the hotel and couldnt do enough for us, the location is brilliant also

We'll be back
    • Deluxe Double Room

The hotel was great for a couple but the main beach was littered with beer/cider cans and rubbish, the council need to make an effort with the cleanliness of a substantial beach.

The deluxe double room was excellent and worth the extra over a standard. The staff were polite and welcoming too.

Nice hotel

N/a

Hotel look nice and was clean throughout bedroom good size and bed was really comfy owners friendly and welcoming will be going back in future

Dissappointing
    • Twin Room (2 Adults)

the room was cold, there was no an extra blanket to use, the walls were thin, the duvet was cheap, the breakfast was stodgy and the coffee thin.

Nice en-suite bathroom, plenty of hot water

Lovely weekend break
    • Deluxe Double Room

Clean comfortable rooms and beds. Tea, coffee and biscuits in the room. Wonderful breakfast not included. Close to the town. Facing the sea front Bar excellent value.

Good breakfast, nice people, spacious room
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Could have done with a new mattress as it sagged where on each side and was not very comfy

Good room which was spacious, clean, free Wi-Fi and good breakfast

Overall disappointing
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Very small room with very low ceiling, cold, no extra blankets,bathroom VERY COLD,no heating in there at all, tv too small for the room, only few sockets worked,lots of flights of winding stairs to climb with heavy case,no lift,no help. Although we appreciated the fact that it was out of season, if you are open at this time then a full service should be offered, no food available on 1 st night & on the 2nd what we had was a BIG disappointment,hubby chose the fish it was advertised as Fresh Norfolk cod, with chefs own beer batter,in fact what turned up was no bigger than a fish finger and when we questioned it,we was told they all are the same as they come in the box from the supplier!!!! Not so fresh we think and for £10.50,well,could've got better at a chippy, the waitress did run back and forth to "her boss" but we never saw the boss herself and was never offered any kind of gesture of good will, we feel the owner should of came herself. Also there was no beers or wine on tap, just over priced bottles.

Comfy bed

Lovely stay
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Lovely building on the seafront, comfortable surroundings and a cosy bar. Friendly welcome by hosts, on site free parking and Wi-Fi, very clean and great shower, the only thing I would say is there was No stool in front of the dressing table so I just pulled one of the other chairs over, would definately stay again.

Nice stay in Yarmouth.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

No draught beer , just bottled but not a big deal.

Nice comfortable bed, good shower, a decent evening meal and very friendly lady who booked us in, and cooked our meal.

A gem. A bargain. Easy parking too.
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

In my son's words....it was 'perfect'. He has asked me to book this Hotel every time he is working close to Great Yarmouth. This suits me too because the hotel prices were excellent value for the money.

Great last minute stay in a nice part of town.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The room was fairly compact but absolutely fine for a night or two. It was an extremely cold night with snow but there was quite a draft coming through the window.

The lady that greeted us was really friendly. She appeared to do everything....from running the bar, showing us to our rooms and cooking our food. The bed was really comfortable.

LOVELY! Will be back!
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Little bit of a walk from the main town, but that was fine for us as we preferred the quieter end of the sea front. It was about a 10 minute walk to town, which really isn't too bad at all!

Firstly, very easy to find and park outside. Then the staff were amazing - warmly welcomed us and showed us around. They were apologetic that some of the amenities were not open as we came well out of season, but we were not expecting of these things anyways. Nevertheless, they automatically upgraded our room to a spacious double room with a sea view, which was a lovely surprise! The room was very comfortable and warm and the breakfast in the morning was yummy. Would definately come again.

Perfect for a weekend
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Beds and the overall accomodation

The guest house was great. Had bar, small lounge and lovely dining room to eat in. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The lady there was on her own working and she was run off her feet but you never had to wait for anything. She was so informative about things we needed to know about Yarmouth. And such an excellent host and super friendly.

Love this place and always try to book it when I'm in GY.
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Love this place and always try to book it when I'm in GY. Old fashioned, quaint and simple. No thrills but provides everything I need a hotel for however, it let itself down last time by having very little beer in the pumps ( clean the pipes during the day not during the evening when guests are eating and drinking ) and a bar that closed at 9ish. - Closing up space for the winter season I guess, understandable to a degree

The food was good and plentiful.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The bar area was small which made it uncomfortable when other guests where using obscene language and noisy.Only saw the owners once during our stay which to me was strange.

The food was good and plentiful.Hotel was clean and tidy.

Mmmmmmmmm
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

If on holiday at this time of year and you only want a bed this is the place. If your looking for more then you need to ring a bell to get service ! The shower in the room was very poor with the water flow

It was in the winter so i can excuse it a little, I was late in at night and away early in the morning so it quite suited me for a few days, but if I was to be there for a few days on holiday then I don’t think I would have liked it.

Cheap great location. Car parking Handy for the sea front. It is what it is. You carnt pay £32 and expect the Ritz
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Nothing it was cheap which is what i wanted.good location Parking.

Was very cheap good location. Sea front Walking distance from sea front. No frills

Chose the location as we were there for the horse racing.

Longer breakfast time.

Quiet location but only a short walk from all the amenities of the town centre. Both on and off road parking available. Good choice of breakfast and other meals. Would stay there again.

Nice place to stay
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

My only issue was the shower and towels. The shower felt like a trickle, it took a long time to wash off my shampoo and conditioner and I didn't feel refreshed after. The towels were very small could not comfortably wrap one around me.

Lovely place to stay in a quiet part of the town. Staff really friendly and welcoming, room nicely presented, view from the window great and the breakfast was amazing.

Took the 2 grandchildren and it made there weekend
    • Family Room

Not enough parking on site price was very expensive charged for everything extra for breakfast we didn't think we got value for our money

A nice bar area staff very friendly and breakfast was lovely other stayers very friendly and talkative

wish we had booked another hotel
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

very poor value for money never stayed in a double room that small before during a 3 night stay never had our room cleaned once had to go ask the staff for clean towels on our last night. looking at the other reviews looks like we were very unlucky with our treatment but it was an experience we never want to repeat. rotten stay

Breakfast very good location not bad

Very pleasant as always
    • Twin Room (2 Adults)

Very little to complain about but checking out is always a challenge as there's no 'key box'

I love it when I can get a room here. Some people may think the accommodation is not what they like but for me it's 'vintage charm' and lovely furnishings always please. Very friendly staff and comfortable beds and a very good breakfast at a very reasonable price. A short walk to the centre and on the sea front,- lovely as far as I'm concerned and I've stayed in lots of hotels ( some rooms don't have a great view but sitting in your room isn't what this place is about anyway )

Lovely full english breakfast and very friendly staff.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The bed was quite soft and seemed to dip in the middle.

Lovely full english breakfast and very friendly staff. Our bedroom was very spacious with lovely shower.

Most enjoyable overall.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Beds were comfy but mattress had a waterproof cover which caused sweating in bed and difficulty in turning over due to sticking to the mattress. Corridors between fire proof doors smell musty. Could be rectified by having doors lock open when cleaning or using air fresheners.

Bus stop both ways directly outside hotel. Food was good and reasonably priced.

Very disappointing.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Cat hair on both beds. Cat hair in my breakfast. Smell of sewage in the morning. 7, actually 7 spiders in the room on arrival.

It was lovely to be on the seafront

accomodation was lovely and clean, property was quiet so has...
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

nothing really just a nice place to stay

accomodation was lovely and clean, property was quiet so has a good nights sleep, staff were attentive and polite

Extremely poor.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The price of the room was far too expensive for what it was, I have stayed in far better hotels in central London for the same price. The breakfast was extremely poor. It cost £6.99 each for 1 slice of bacon, 1 sausage, beans, a grilled tomato, mushrooms and 1 egg. Although we didn't actually get one egg as we were informed about 10minutes after ordering that they had ran out so was given a extra sausage as an alternative, although my eldest daughter asked for an omelette so had to choose something different all together. Very poor organisation to run out of eggs. Evening meal was ok although they had also ran out of tartar sauce. Again such a simple thing should not really happen. Had to ask for a travel cot for my 8month old daughter although we had to state the ages of my children upon booking the family room. When I asked about a travel cot I was told they would have to check to see if IT was being used. Luckily IT was available for use to have for my daughter to sleep in. Upon check out all the staff member was interested in was telling me that I owed money for the breakfast and at no point did they ask if we were happy or even satisfied with our stay.

Good powerful shower in en suite.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Good powerful shower in en suite. Bed was lovely and comfy. Staff very polite and friendly. Struggled to park initially but the hotel sorted us out.

Very enjoyable.
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

There was nothing to dislike it was a great stay

The room was very good .lovely clean ensuite . lovely sea view .breakfast very good . Staff very friendly and helpful . This was our 2nd time here and will always book in here when we go back to Yarmouth

Absoulty fantastic

Couldn't fault it

The staff made you feel very welcome warm and friendly even the people who were staying there were friendly it was a pleasure to stay there

Comfortable and no-nonsense, good value
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

not much parking, but plenty nearby on the beachfront

Everything works, the owner is experienced and it shows, I had a small room with everything I needed - ideal since I was alone and just wanted a convenient base with no unnecessary extras. Right on the seafront, dunes and nature park opposite. Has its own restaurant and pub too

Fantastic find!
    • Family Room

Erm... our mattress (the double) squeaked a little. Honestly, I'm really having to dig deep here! It was all fabulous.

Super family room (#16) was a double room with a twin room and shower room of a little internal hallway, so w weren't actually sharing a room. Properly clean. Lovely staff. Fabulous breakfasts. We'll definitely be staying whenever we come to Norfolk. And only a 5-min stroll to The Snails at Joyland!

A cosy hotel in Great Yarmouth
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Don't know - some people that we spoke to spend a holiday at this hotel year after year.

Pleasant dining room, Choice of breakfast items and tea/coffee. Evening meals if required. Comfortable bed. Tea/coffee and kettle provided. Consistent hot water to basin and shower. A nicely kept hotel with friendly service. Ground floor lounge includes a bar.

Cosy, quiet, nice and clean, good parking if you can get a space on the forecourt. Value for money.
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

Room small but clean and comfortable, nice view to the sea. Friendly staff, bar was cosy and a warm snack could be ordered after coming in at night. The restaurant was clean and pleasant , breakfast was served quickly but expensive to other places i.e. Time and Tide museum. I would stay here again. The area was nice and quiet!

Lovely staff
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

Walls to rooms are thin so you can hear everything but thankfully no noisy people but creaky floors. The actual town is a complete let down so wouldn't come back

Staff were excellent, nice greeting on arrival. very helpful and pleasant. I had a single room and was fine, maybe a bit small.

Family trip to the seaside
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Breakfast included in the price of the room although we went out and got a bigger breakfast for same cost

Very comfy bed. Nice and clean room with an suite.

Lovely staff
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Room was very small and dated . Very thin walls so we could hear the young family of four in the next room. Heard everything!

Staff were pretty amazing

Lovely stay in gable end

No complaints at all

Very pleasant stay nice comfy bed,crisp white bed linen and fluffy towels,made very welcome and a delicious home cooked English breakfast very good service and a very friendly host 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

wouldn't recommend to my friends. hotel needed uodating ie room furniture
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

not good value for money cold tap loose - needed tightening. cobwebs in restaurant around model boat in window. greasy sausage at breakfast. chipped room furniture/ general appearance /inside.

didn't have croissants. hotel location. room view of beach / sea.

• Double Room (2 Adults)

there's nothing I can say on that subject I don't want to make up stories it was all good

Hotel was easy to find no problem with the booking went in and out no problem getting in out of hours staff was great

The staff were very welcoming,really helpful.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The staff were very welcoming,really helpful. Hotel in a great spot,far enough away from the hustle & bustle,but right on the sea front. Best of both worlds.

A property which is in the right location and which offers outstanding value for money
    • Twin Room (2 Adults)

Not having a hairdryer in the room. Difficult to fill the kettle from the bathroom sink.

The staff were very helpful. Good knowledge of what and where activities are on. Very comfortable environment. Excellent location to beach, amusements and town.

Old fashioned service.
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Really couldn't fault the place, it's facilities or it's staff. Nice place to stay.

Lovely atmosphere in this accommodation. Very quiet and comfortable. Food was good as was the liquid refreshment from the bar. Bedroom was roomy and the ensuite clean. The Staff were great! Nice walk to the promenade.

The bed was comfortable and the parking facility was...
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

The room was small; I bumped my head on the sloping ceiling several times when getting out of bed. Upon arrival, we had to wait nearly 15 minutes for the hotel attendant to get our room key. No lifts, no reception. I told them it was my wife's 50th birthday during our stay and on booking.com whilst making the booking; however, no effort was made to make her stay feel special whatsoever. The room was baking hot too with no air conditioning or fans supplied! Disappointing stay; wouldn't come again.

The bed was comfortable and the parking facility was acceptable.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Gable End Hotel
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

Located on the front at Gt Yarmouth. Walking distance to the town. On site parking available. Clean and well maintained. Bar facilities are good. A good stay.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Great Hotel, the best that we have stayed at in this area. We will be back.
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Can't think of anything negative to say about this place.

The location as it was close to the town but not in the centre of it. The car parking, the cleanliness of the place. Beautiful decor and very friendly hosts.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Good value and comfortable
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

I was happy with everything for the price I paid. The shower had a curtain which tends to wrap around you, so a door would be better.

Comfy bed. A basic room but with all you need. It was clean and had been recently decorated. We only stayed one night. It was not too far to the bus stop to Winterton (Northgate Hospital stop) as we wanted to walk along the beach from Winterton to the hotel. The hotel has a bit of character, but the room we had was modern style. It at the waterways end of Yarmouth so is quiet.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

A quaint family run business.
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults)

Better quality beds would make this property an excellent stay.

A quaint family run business. A warm welcome was provided & the property explained. Our room was clean & reasonably comfortable - bed was a little hard. Bar & dining was good with a good basic menu. Breakfast was good.

The hotel was close to the beach and only a short walk to...
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The noise of the boiler?kept us awake or woke us during night as it constantly kicked in to action.

The hotel was close to the beach and only a short walk to town. The room was of a good size for the family.

Lovely comfy beds!
    • Double Room (2 Adults)

Breakfast was too expensive for what we actually received but nice all the same. Our room was based in the attic/loft and both my partner and I are very tall so it felt a little cramped as we kept on having to watch where we walked so we didn't bump our heads!

The bed was wonderful, so comfortable and the temperature of the room was nice and warm considering outside was cold! Room was clean, cosy and had everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Ok

The managers attitude

Bed ok, really cannot say any more than ok. First impression not good we arrived during booking in window to be met with the manager saying I am not opening the bar tonight I had a late night last night!

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Excellent location, friendly staff.
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

Although I was travelling alone and the bed was a double, the room itself was quite small but I am probably being a little picky with that.

Staff are very friendly and approachable, good selection of evening meals. I'm not vegetarian but the two vegetarian dishes I sampled were very tasty, as were the non-vegetarian meals. Excellent cooked breakfast too, thank you Brian!

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

One of the better Yarmouth hotels!
    • Single Room (1 Adult)

The only thing I didn't like was the blind instead of curtains which let light in early in the morning.

Great find! Parking right outside (small car-park or on the street). Clean, comfortable, friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble-very accommodating. Food was great in taste and choice for both dinner and breakfast. I will definitely use it again and recommend. Many Thanks.