Reviews of The Principal Edinburgh George Street This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

19-21 George St, New Town, Edinburgh, EH2 2PB, United Kingdom

#26 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

• Reviewed: September 19, 2018

Happy to stay again...
    • Guest Room Double

Probably the explanation of the cost of breakfast as wasn’t easy.. but all good service and food good...

The staff were excellent...friendly..always happy to help..great spot close to cafes and shops.. It was the end of a special birthday and they upgraded us and a special cupcake for my birthday so it was a very special time...thank you

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

The Principal on George Street - We'll Be Back!
    • Deluxe Double Room with View

Can't think of a single thing.....

Perfect location, staff were professional, friendly and kind; rooms were clean and luxurious; great view. Discovered a lovely little bar - with outdoor area (5th floor) not normally open to public except on Fri/Sat.

Amazing location, wonderful staff, food was good

It wqas expensive, it costs me 400EUR for one night B&B plus one evening meal - thats expensive considering the meal consisted of a toasted sandwich and 2 glasses of wine :(

Amazing location, wonderful staff, food was good

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

Lovely hotel, needs better soundproofing between rooms!

We were allocated a superior double room which was at the back of the hotel. This would have been a quiet room away from the busy streets but unfortunately due to poor sound insulation we were able to hear everything (word for word and a crying baby) from the next room which resulted in a poor nights sleep.

Lovely hotel, tastefully decorated and very central. Friendly staff. Children’s tuck box in the room was a welcome surprise. We were able to use the pool facilities in the sister principal hotel on Charlotte Square which was really nice.

• Reviewed: September 15, 2018

The friendliness and resourcefulness of the staff.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast in the hotel is limited. The lighting of the hotel is very low everywhere. Very small hotel but can be considered cozy. The rooms are not soundproofed, you hear everything in the street below you and the rooms around you, if you are a very light sleeper like myself, sleep with earplugs or choose a different hotel. Also some rooms do not have air conditioning, if you are visiting in the summer time, request an air conditioned room before arriving.

The friendliness and resourcefulness of the staff. The location of the hotel. The Burr&Co. cafe inside the hotel. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The general feel of the hotel makes you feel at home and taken care of. Highly recommended place to stay in

• Reviewed: September 14, 2018

Excellent Edinburgh hotel
    • Superior Twin Room

Great hotel. Wonderful location. Loved the breakfast. They had bar and restaurant so after long day sightseeing convenient for the tired travelers. Concierge very helpful. Free take away bags when leaving early. Really enjoyed this hotel

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

This overpriced hotel.
    • Guest Room Single

This overpriced hotel. The room I got was extremely small, no chair and floor space kept to absolute minimum.. The view out the window was another building, not possible to open window. The bathroom was as well extremely small. To shower I had to crawl into the bathtub. No place for toiletries of any kind.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

Lovely staff, good food, & a comfortable bed.
    • Guest Room Double

The room was apparently 'family size' with 2 large beds. But the bathroom was minute. Just enough room to stand in. For 1 person OK but for a family....? Strange tin of crisps, chocolate sweets and lollypops with the tea tray, but I would have just loved perhaps a simple shortbread biscuit! Very very noisy all night long from the street outside the window, and office lights full on all night from the very close office block across the road.

The staff were lovely. The bed was comfortable, and the breakfast buffet delicious.

• Reviewed: September 12, 2018

A little underwhelmed

I will start with a caveat - my job requires me to travel extensively and I am fortunate enough to stay in some exceptional hotels around the world. I am certainly a little spoilt and my review should be considered with this in mind. There were 3 weddings over our 2 night stay and, as the hotel foyer is small, the reception area was always packed with wedding guests. It was lovely to see the happy couples and I am sure weddings are a major source of revenue, but my feeling is that they need to be a little more self-contained so that other hotel guests are less impacted. We weren't overwhelmed by the friendliness of the staff that served breakfast. It is nice to have some rapport with the server but, despite our best attempts, there wasn't much coming back!! The room we were allocated was tucked away at the back of the hotel. Whilst this meant it was quiet, it took quite a while to reach the room, requiring us to have to travel up and down several flights of stairs and through some fairly shabby corridors. Avoid rooms 39-56 would be my advice. My wife and I will be frequent visitors to Edinburgh as our son is at the University. I am not sure whether this will be our "go-to" hotel moving forward Final point of note is that we had to extend our stay for a further night. The hotel were excellent in accommodating us as booking.com had no spare rooms on their site. I was surprised, however, that booking through the hotel directly was significantly cheaper (10%) than booking.com AND included breakfast

Location was exceptional within easy reach of the shops and attractions in this beautiful City Reception staff were always friendly and polite Beautiful building from the outside

• Reviewed: September 11, 2018

One Night in Edinburgh

I felt the amount we paid (£242) for one night in a superior room (no. 461) including breakfast was overly expensive given the size of the room, especially the bathroom which was quite small. I have since had a look at rates for other Sunday night stays in the sane month and they arec £80 to £100 less.

The staff were fabulous. Very friendly and helpful. We were given a couple of special touches (cupcake delivered to room and a drink in the bar) as it was my husband's 50th birthday which was lovely.

• Reviewed: September 9, 2018

Disappointed, below average, not likely to repeat a stay at this hotel.

The staff were at best disinterested and at worst rude. The service was poor, and the rooms were so small and a half a mile walk to get to. Craig the doorman was exceptional. Their administrative systems were inadequate and created errors around being able to sign for drinks and food against your room. However, I will give Andreas the General Manager 10/10 for his engagement with me around the challenges I had experienced.

The location was central. It is clear that the General Manager understands that the hotel has some challenges, and his engagement was very good in dealing with some of the problems I had encountered.

• Reviewed: September 6, 2018

Great hotel in a buzzing city. Great staff and the restaurant food was excellent.

No parking but what can you expect when you are city centre Edinburgh.

Excellent reception staff. The Hotel is situated in the very best position to see Edinburgh at its best.

• Reviewed: September 5, 2018

Unless you've got a wedding/function, better to go to Principal, Charlotte Square
    • Guest Room Double

The hotel has few resident facilities and is geared towards functions and events. So it is very busy and noisy. There is no where to sit quietly for a drink fo example. its sister hotel on Charlotte Square is much better appointed and has better rooms and resident facilities and is cheaper!! We had a suite but it was cramped and no mini bar

It was in a very good location and opposite a taxi rank.

• Reviewed: September 5, 2018

disappointed - liked it when it was the George- other Principal hotel is tons better !
    • Signature Suite

hotel has insufficient resident services - lounges /bars and no mini bar . bathroom had nowhere to put toiletries. Sitting are of suite was very poky.

location was good although rooms at from are noisy .. The principal Charlotte Square is much better and better value.

No reason to deserve 5 stars! No comfort - poor quality breakfast
    • Guest Room Double

Room about 18-20 sqm - could hardly move around the bed You had to walk for ever toget to it and make two set of stares (6 steps each ) obviously without elevator We were not offered help for the luggage The bed was a sofa bed ! No slippers No shoehorn You could not open the door of the bathroom if the cupboard was open ! Got woken up at 8.15 by the made…by mistake There was a firealarm…also by mistake Breakfast Very poor selection and quality No ham -no saumon -no bread (only toast) No cottage cheese or decent cheese Scramble eggs not good Fruit salad seemed made of plastic You had to pay for an expresso (first time in my life!!!)

Not much...may be the doorbell man was friendly

• Reviewed: August 29, 2018

Beautiful hotel in a great location but they need to figure out how to handle the noise issues.

The room and hotel were beautiful but are room was on the 5 floor, which seemed like it would be quiet being above the street, but it was the noisiest hotel room I've ever had. They were dumping recycling bottles till well into the early morning every day all day from all the bars so there were a lot of them. Very loud. Also very early morning delivery trucks, garbage trucks, people talking in the alley on breaks. One group even played a game of throwing bottles into bins with the thrower getting load cheers or boos. For the price per night it's ridiculous that this is the ambiance you get.

• Reviewed: August 29, 2018

Love this hotel.
    • Guest Room Single

Love this hotel. My second time staying here and I will be back again. Rooms are fabulous, clean and modern. I was lucky enough to have a room on the 6th floor with a view of the Castle...it just so happened it was the final day of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival so I had a wonderful view of the fireworks from my room. The hotel is really lovely and the staff are so welcoming and very helpful. See you again soon.

• Reviewed: August 23, 2018

It was that bad I will be contacting all bodies that award 5 stars to hotels about my bad experience
    • Guest Room Double

I will be writing a very detailed review on Tripadvisor and Google. Along with my pictures and videos. Absolute shocking hotel and staff. As booking.com will know I have stayed in a lot of hotels and all 5 star. I have never experienced a hotel like this during my entire 15 years staying on hotels like this. This no way a 5 star hotel as advertised! My sheets were never changed and there was blood on my sheets! This was reported but nothing done. Furthermore at one point I couldn't get through to anyone on the phone for 2 hours. I even timed on my phone and at one point the phone rang for 35 minutes and still no answer! I was also put in a room that was EXTREMELY noisy all day everyday from businesses dumping there glass bottles in a bin in the alley at 1am, 3am, 6am, 10am, 1pm... you get the drift non-stop! All my images and videos will be uploaded in due course to the internet. the hotels excuses for everything was "they are so busy with the festival". The festival happens EVERY SINGLE year at the EXACT same time. They know it's coming and it's not an excuse. Would a Four Seasons or St Regis make an excuse like this? No! You can't charge Four Season Prices and give Travelodge service and quality. I will also be contacting the bodies that award 5 starts to hotels. Including Forbes and AAA/CA.

Nothing except the location. Avoid this hotel like the plague.

• Reviewed: August 23, 2018

Generally very pleasing indeed, as usual, though disappointed with the breakfast arrangements.
    • Guest Room Double

Personally I was (for the first time) somewhat disappointed with the breakfast service, which might be better organised? I was initially given warm tea from a thermos-type flask, though hot tea in a pot arrived later. I felt that some aspects of food display and menu information might be 'refreshed'?

Staff were very welcoming. Dinner was excellent, including service with helpful explanations of menu e.g.how variously the fish could be filleted. Room was very comfortable and airy despite the hot weather.

• Reviewed: August 21, 2018

Stated badly, but much improved by the end

Considering the very high rate we were charged of PDS400 per night the first room we were given was appalling. We complained and the manager initially tried to justify the rate, though on pressing our room was upgraded for the second night and we were given a free dinner in compensation, which was appreciated. Once these steps had been taken the experience certainly improved and I feel that the management realised we had a good point.

Very pleasant staff who tried to improve the initial disappointing experience we had. The second room was very nice.

• Reviewed: August 20, 2018

Elegant well-situated hotel with a good restaurant. Not a good place to stay if the weather is warm

Steep step-up from the floor into the bathroom, which could be hazardous in the dark, and non-negotiable for anyone with mobility issues. There is absolutely no ventilation in the room...windows cannot be opened, and there is no air-conditioning. The hotel provided me with a fan, but that failed to block the shouting and carousing from the bar across the street, and I couldn't get to sleep until after the revelry ended around 2AM. Also, the bedding is a big heavy duvet, without a top sheet, and no adjustment was made for the summer heat. I had to strip the duvet from its cover and sleep with the sheet envelope alone as it was so warm in the room. Management needs to realize that hot weather is coming and provide lighter sheets and blankets.

Very friendly staff, spacious room.

• Reviewed: August 19, 2018

Fine
    • Deluxe Double Room with View

For the price per night the hotel was very disappointing -Tiny bathroom and hotel decor looked dated.

The room was comfortable and the staff very pleasant and helpful

• Reviewed: August 18, 2018

Perfect location, expensive but would definitely stay again.
    • Guest Room Double

No drawers in room to put anything in. Room was compact.

Great location. Lovely comfortable bed. Good breakfast. Fridge with complimentary water and milk. Complimentary Times newspaper.

• Reviewed: August 17, 2018

It was ok .
    • Deluxe Double Room with View

Not enough breakfast tea bags in the room ... 3 each day to be precise!! And there were 2 of us drinking tea!! The check in was poor as we tried to check in slightly early but were told the room was not ready and they would ring us when it was . We didn’t get a phone call so meandered back to the hotel and the room was ready but no explanation why no phone call . Also I thought the breakfast room was a bit scruffy . Stained seats etc

The room was lovely but we did upgrade .

• Reviewed: August 17, 2018

It is very close to the city centre and to the old town ,...
    • Superior Twin Room

Very noisy at night when there is a drop of or unloading of bottles , that if your room is close to the truck unloading station.

It is very close to the city centre and to the old town , the concierge service is exceptional .

• Reviewed: August 16, 2018

Waste of money.

As a 5 star establishment I was extremely disappointed with the hotel. I booked the principal George street as it was highly rated and recommended. However one thing after the next was terrible. To start with: 1. The room had no water even though it mentioned it was complimentary in the fridge - when I called “everything else” it took 40 minutes to receive the water. 2. I also requested honey for tea in the room and this also took over 40 minutes. 3. There was no turn down service in the room, when we would return in the evening the room would have dirty cups and an unmade room. 4. Breakfast the next morning - it took 10 minutes to be seated. 5. Coffee and tea took 25 minutes 6. I ordered porridge and asked for the honey to be on which side. The porridge came with no honey, when I asked for honey this matter became too complicated for your staff and I didn’t receive it until after my porridge had gone cold. 7. I asked for clean cups in the room -this took 30 minutes and the helper showed up with no cups instead asking for our cups and the cleaner would clean them - additional wait time. 8. your sister hotel we ate at Baba - we ordered “Bloody Mariam’s” - completely bland we asked for Tabasco - the 5 star establishment told us that in their hotel they didn’t have any in the whole hotel. Then we requested lemon and black pepper and not one of your staff members asked if there was something wrong with our drinks / food. 9. the next mornings at breakfast we requested brown toast, white toast was served to us, when I mentioned we asked for brown toast they informed us your 5 star hotel had run out of brown toast. 10. asked for coffee and tea - this took 20 minutes when we asked where the drinks were, 5 minutes later I received my coffee and my husband had not got his tea until 10 minutes later which was cold. 10.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: August 16, 2018

Not worth the money, we paid nearly £400 per night and it should have been more like £140 per night.

Had to move on the first night due to noise of other guests. They put us in another room much smaller with two single beds when we had ordered a superior double for 3 days. We managed to move the next day but the whole experience was draining and could have been prevented.

Location good

• Reviewed: August 15, 2018

Superb location,staff wonderful,definitely would stay again

The hotel staff went the extra mile to make occasion really special for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. One could not fault the friendliness. We had dinner in the restaurant which was gorgeous.

• Reviewed: August 7, 2018

Location is superb.
    • Superior Twin Room

All was good. Caveat. Some rooms do not have air conditioning. We avoided this issue by switching rooms. Some would argue that AC is hardly a necessity in Edinburgh.

Location is superb. This hotel was in Fine form during Festival. Concierge team was great.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2018

Disappointment temperated by the good location in a fantastic city

I Feel I pay to much for what I had! And I made a previous ( paid) upgrade. I imagine if I didnt do it! My upgraded room had a good vew, but it was to short! The room toillets where absolutly ridiculous with less than 1.5 square meters. It was impossible two people be there at the same time! Again ridiculous for such a Hotel and where I have paid 2.200 £ for 5 nights! Breakfast also very poor for such Hotel! In my last day they dont serve ham! When I ask the answer was: Today we dont have...

A like the location! The room where very clean, and generally speaking personel where kind with one or two exceptions! I like a lot the idea of the tuck box ( with some free chocolates and potatos)!

Loved it!!
    • Guest Room Double

Very clean, great breakfast, and incredibly helpful staff. Amazing location! Close to restaurants, shopping, etc and minutes away from Waverley train station.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2018

The hotel was gorgeous & our room amazing so clean &...
    • Guest Room Double

The hotel was gorgeous & our room amazing so clean & comfortable & free tuck box when you arrive with crisps & sweets etc also water in your fridge can’t wait to go back

Would go back
    • Guest Room Double

Was very very disappointed in the breakfast! One choice of cold ham and one choice of cheese resulting in no choice at all! The cooked breakfast was not the best I have ever tasted. In this Hotel I really would have expected exceptional food.

The staff in this hotel were excellent. The rooms were very very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: July 31, 2018

Great location and wonderful staff!
    • Guest Room Double

Our only concern was that there was no built in air conditioning. They did provide a Dyson unit but the rooms could become quite stifling.

The whole experience was fantastic. The service, the staff, the location all excellent.

• Reviewed: July 27, 2018

Dreamy. Leisurely. Going back soon
    • Guest Room Double

Having to queue for breakfast on the first morning-a wedding taking place at the same time and totally insufficient staff to cope Bathroom very tight; inches between toilet and door; hazardous getting in/out of bath

Cheerful, professional staff; very knowledgeable about where to go/where to eat Very comfortable beds

• Reviewed: July 25, 2018

As in 3 above.
    • Guest Room Double

The room was beautiful however due to location the view was only of some internal walls and pipes. It didn’t spoil our stay.

Stunning hotel in a great location. The food in the Printing Press restaurant was fabulous and service was outstanding. Overall a great place to stay.

• Reviewed: July 25, 2018

Staff excellent
    • Guest Room Double

I didn't like the fact that I had 2 debit cards but the hotel didn't take any so good job with friends as they had a credit one.

The hotel is just so lovely in the reception area..and Peter the concierge was so helpful

• Reviewed: July 24, 2018

Location is great!
    • Guest Room Double

Rooms too small or when taken a suit - the windows did not allow yo too look outside because they were too high. Really weird floor plan.

Location is great! Bath tub was wonderful.

• Reviewed: July 21, 2018

The staff were lovely, the bed was comfy (but too small).
    • Guest Room Double

The room had Nescafé coffee rather than anything a bit more special. The double room was on the small side and the bed very much so, the bathroom was very dated, we felt it represented very poor value for money.

The staff were lovely, the bed was comfy (but too small). The cafe and bar attached to the hotel were great. Good location on George Street.

• Reviewed: July 21, 2018

Overall very very pleasant !! Hope to visit again very soon IA :)

The heavy room doors I’m afraid as hubby and my 15 year old got injured quite badly ones finger and sons thumb :(

Very very central and excellent courteous staff :)

• Reviewed: July 21, 2018

Absolutely fantastic hotel, great location

Love everything

Stunning hotel in an amazing location. The staff were fantastic and helped me when my partner needed some assistance. It was a special occasion for us and it was memorable. Many thanks

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

Old world charm, up-to-date comforts, excellent location.
    • Guest Room Double

We really liked the Principal and would stay there again - nothing bad to say at all.

We stayed here at the beginning and the end of our Scottish holiday. Excellent location, walking distance to almost everything you'd want to see in Edinburgh. Situated in a beautiful old building, the rooms have been modernized and are comfortable and attractive, with all the amenities. On our first weekend at the hotel, there were two different weddings taking place so the lobby was busy and loud, with wedding-goers in various stages of drunken-ness. I was a little afraid it would affect our stay, but our room was completely sound-proof and we didn't hear a thing. We were in a queen-sized room which wasn't huge, but plenty big enough. On the second stay we were upgraded to a junior suite - I wish we could have stayed longer to take advantage .... it was really nice! Staff were attentive, friendly, knowledgeable, and extremely helpful with some of our requests. We enjoyed the breakfasts, and drinks in the bar, but never had lunch or dinner there. I thought the "tuck box" of sweets and crisps was a nice touch, as were cold waters (sparkling & still) and fresh milk for tea/coffee.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

Great Location, Beautiful Hotel. Don't go for double room - too small
    • Guest Room Double

The double room was extremely small, with very limited storage. For a business trip - no luggage it would be OK, for leisure with a large suitcase and 2 adults it is very restricting. Recommend upgrade

Room tastefully decorated, comfy bed, nice touches like a free tuck box full of treats and free water. Staff lovely, breakfast good.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

The convenience of the location made the stay comfortable.
    • Guest Room Double

The bed was not comfortable. The toilet didn't flush easily. The room was tiny. Moved to another room. The elevator was slow and nosy.

They treated us to a small fruit plate and a bottle of Prosecco for our anniversary celebration with a nice note.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

• Guest Room Double

The room was very hot. Windows could be open only slightly and it was very noisy outside. Didn't help getting some fresh air. We didn't sleep well.

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

Large rooms.
    • Guest Room Double

Noisy air conditioning and with the window open someone emptying bucket loads of empty bottles into the bin before 6 in the morning is not ideal.

Large rooms.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

Very satisfactory indeed.
    • Guest Room Single

As usual, the concierge staff and reception staff were very welcoming and very helpful in assisting me with getting to the theatre and to a nearby restaurant in good time and without problems.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

The room was really nice, however would not stay again as not worth the price paid.
    • Guest Room Double

The woman who checked us in didn't give out much information like the express checkout or where breakfast would be served. We were going to book in for breakfast but she didn't even ask if we wanted to add it. There was a wedding that night which we weren't informed of when we checked in either, we just heard the ceremony finishing and realised then that there was a wedding taking place. The noise from the party was really loud when we tried to go to sleep. The walls are so thin, we could hear the gentleman snoring next door and the following morning we could hear the couple talking and their TV on. It woke us up really early. Then when we tried to get back to sleep the fire alarm went off for about 5 minutes. At checkout which was 12 we were in a queue when there were 2 groups trying to check in. Waiting for around 5 minutes when another member of staff told us about express checkout. This should have been explained when we arrived at the hotel. For the £168 I paid I don't feel for the level of service or facilities that it justifies this price. Breakfast included would have made it better and the rooms more sound proof also would have helped. Also we had a store cupboard next to us as we could hear them getting the equipment out. Understand that there is a job to do but should be more understanding of guests trying to sleep.

Beds were comfy and the room was nice and clean. The hotel entrance was really nice and the concierge was really helpful. The little touch with the water and tuck box was a nice little gesture although felt more aimed at kids than adults. Biscuits rather than sweets would go better with the tea and coffee

• Reviewed: July 8, 2018

Not all you imagine, but comfortable.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Foyer nice but corridors had low ceilings, disjointed corridors, poor lifts. For the price we paid the value was poor. Then noticed prices had changed online. Small bathroom. Overheated room without controls.

Polite friendly staff, comfortable bed, nice looking and well located.

• Reviewed: July 3, 2018

The true meaning of hospitality
    • Guest Room Double

The staff is great. We had a small incident on road and a very distressful day. Martha’s wonderful welcome immediately made us feel safe and comfortable. Thank you!

• Reviewed: June 28, 2018

Classy Place to Stay in Central Edinburgh
    • Deluxe Double Room with View

I had a fabulous room with views towards the Firth of Forth. The hotel is classy and the staff friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay, the only downside being the price

• Reviewed: June 28, 2018

This property is not sure whether it wants to run as a hotel or as an event hotspot!
    • Guest Room Double

The public areas were noisy, badly designed and service was terrible, particularly in the breakfast room & so-called, very cramped coffee shop.

Our room was comfortable, spacious, quiet & nicely decorated. The coffee & tea maker with free milk & water in the fridge + snacks was a bonus.

• Reviewed: June 27, 2018

Staff generally friendly and helpful.
    • Guest Room Double

Very small room with minute ensuite...shower only. Bathroom fan didnt work. Very high price for bteakfast. Couldnt sleep with very noisy activity past midnight with bottles being tipped in to bins. 7 am bin lorries or similar making huge amount of noise. My wife had to check in as I was golfing she didnt have credit card with her but staff refused to give her room until full bill was paid. My wifes friend had to pay in advance for us...Booking .com already have my card details. They wouldnt accept that I would pay later. Parking a long way from hotel and costs £21 a day! All in all a bit dissapointing...we had stayed in Principal before without problems but not sure we would stay there again. Happy for you to share with hotel.

Staff generally friendly and helpful. Good position on George St.

• Reviewed: June 27, 2018

Great location,helpful staff , beautiful breakfast ,big room...

Using stairs as the lift not on the same floor of my room,window facing the back of the street,car park away (q-park)but with discount.it was very noisy that Saturday in the lobby due to wedding but did not affect my sleep at all.

Great location,helpful staff , beautiful breakfast ,big room , very comfortable bed and pillows, fast Wi-fi.clean room &bathroom. I booked again 2 nights at principal hotel Charlotte square.

• Reviewed: June 25, 2018

A beautiful hotel in a perfect location.
    • Guest Room Double

Unfortunately we ordered food via room-service which failed to turn-up so after waiting an hour and a half we had to chase, but minus this experience it was a great stay.

Absolutely amazing check-in experience, after a rather stressful day it was much needed. I free upgrade was also gifted which we really appreciated! Beautiful rooms and, of course, a beautiful location!

• Reviewed: June 23, 2018

Loved Edinburgh and the hotel location!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Rooms are slightly smaller than I had wished for. I wish going to the hotel gym didn’t require signing a paper. Less hassle is better

Great location. The room styling is nice. Great staff! Very helpful

• Reviewed: June 20, 2018

A fab overnight!
    • Guest Room Double

they were very accommodating and the staff were super friendly! Had a room ready for us despite being there 3 hours before check in and kept our bags for hours after checking out as we still wanted to explore Edinburgh!

• Reviewed: June 13, 2018

The Concierge and door staff were extremely polite and...
    • Guest Room Double

The room was far smaller than we had anticipated and the room view overlooked brick walls and emergency exit / stairs. The TV guide stated you could use the room's smart TV to tune Netflix and Amazon TV (we are subscribers to both), albeit, there was no such ability to do so and therefore we were limited in the choice of TV channels. The main (single) reception elevator was co-shared by cleaning staff which added to wait times and was quite small.

The Concierge and door staff were extremely polite and helpful. The bed was comfy and the hotel location central.

• Reviewed: June 12, 2018

DREADFUL
    • Guest Room Double

EVERYTHING, ROOM DINING ROOM LIFT BREAKDOWN AND WALKING UP 4 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS NO LAUNDRY SERVICE ON SUNDAY. CHECK IN STAFF WERE RUDE AND SURLY AND LACKING IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS. FIRST ROOM WAS TOO SMAL, FUMES FROM COOKING CAME INTO THE ROOM 222 BREAKFAST ROOM WAS DIRTY. CUTLERY AND CROKERY WERE COVERED IN SOME KIND OF DUST EVERY MORNING. I AM 6’3” TALL. I HAD DIFFICULTY EATING AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE AS THE BENCH SEAT WAS TOO LOW. BENCHES OF ALL BREAKFAST ROOM TABLES WERE FOOD STAINED. STAFF IN BREAKFAST ROOM NEED TO LEARN BASIC ENGLISH AND WAITING SKILLS.

THE ONLY THING OF VALUE WAS THE YOUNG SCOTTISH CONCIERGE.

• Reviewed: June 11, 2018

Perfect from start to finish

You could not get a better location, right across from the Dome, lovely staff, top quality bedding, everything you could want in the bathroom and we went by car and the hotel have a special rate with a near by 24 hour car park so no stress. Looking forward to the next time + if you have breakfast you MUST try the haggis.

• Reviewed: June 7, 2018

Comfortable hotel in the heart of the city.
    • Guest Room Single

Dinner at their restaurant, steaks weren't the best. Although they had large staff seemed to mill about and lack efficiency. Menu could be better. But the staff was friendly and helpful.

Dinner at their restaurant wasn't the best, but breakfast buffet was very good. Rooms are spacious and very comfortable, hotel is built out of old townhouses. Very short walk to many restaurants and public transportation. Within a 10 minute walk of the castle and Royal Mile.

• Reviewed: June 4, 2018

A good bolt hole for a short visit.

We had requested a quiet room on a higher floor, but were given room 202. The room was facing the lift, next to the stair well and across the hall from the maid's storeroom. There was no opportunity for a lie in as there was too much passing noise. We were particularly grateful to the gentleman with the baritone voice who walked passed our door at 4:56am singing loudly. In fairness to the hotel we didn't complain, so we don't what, if anything, they may have been able to do.

The room was spacious, reasonably well equipped, air conditioned and most of all the bed was comfortable, The bathroom had a large powerful walk in shower (but no bath).

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

Definitely recommend this property!
    • Superior Twin Room

Charming hotel in a great location! Great for our mother / daughter travels! Concierge was very helpful with dinner recommendations and booking a ride back to the airport.

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

Professional staff, very comfortable rooms. Service a bit patchy. Often invaded by wedding parties.

Each time I have stayed there have been weddings going on at the hotel. The wedding guests take over the lobby area and spill onto the street outside. This makes you feel you are staying in an event venue rather than a hotel.

I've stayed three times now. The bedrooms facing George Street are the nicest. The staff are very friendly, the conceige service is particularly helpful.

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

Brilliant.
    • Guest Room Double

A pool/plunge pool, sauna & hammam would be fantastic additions, if possible.

Excellent customer service, very good modern rooms (we had a fabulous view of the Firth of Forth), nice breakfast, fantastic location.

• Reviewed: May 25, 2018

Beautiful hotel and beats ALL the others in Edinburgh!!
    • Superior Twin Room

Would have liked nicer glasses in room. Tumblers a bit clumsy 😁

Luxurious and welcoming. Fantastic beds and good shower. Rooms very well decorated and spacious (suoerior twin). Staff very professional but so friendly.

• Reviewed: May 21, 2018

I enjoyed my stay overall.
    • Guest Room Double

The room I stayed (125) in backed on to the ventilation system which was very noisy despite the secondary glazing in the room. Perhaps some thought should be put into improving the sound proofing. I am sure I am not the only guest to remark on this.

The bed was excellent. The complementary treats were a nice surprise. The staff were super friendly and kind.

• Reviewed: May 20, 2018

Nice
    • Deluxe Double Room with View

The door are weak.You can hear everyrhing from the hall and next rooms. Minibar was missing I orderd blossom decoration and proseco and nobody was interested. At breakfast We were waiting too long for toast and espresso We couldnt Get.

The Staff is very Nice. Beautiful bilding and great location.

• Reviewed: May 16, 2018

Luxurious looks, cheap experience.

The shower was leaking from the handle and there was some gunk in the shower head. The hair dryer was missing. There was a light in the bathroom that was not fixed to the ceiling, hanging out of it's socket. There seemed to be water damage on a painting and a lamp shade.

I like the looks and atmosphere of the common areas. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: May 16, 2018

Will most definitely be back

We missed out on breakfast as it finished at 10:30. This was early for a Sunday morning, however the staff were great and gave us continental breakfast.

The room was beautifully decorated and the bathroom and bath products devine...I loved the location and the fact that there was a cafe next door near to such wonderful shops.

• Reviewed: May 12, 2018

From the moment I was greeted at hotel entrance by gentlemen...
    • Guest Room Double

From the moment I was greeted at hotel entrance by gentlemen wearing full Scottish kilt the customer service was excellent and beautiful elegant classy rooms with amazing breakfast in morning .

• Reviewed: May 11, 2018

An exceptional hotel that made my first visit to Edinburgh a memorable one. Thank you.

Absolutely nothing negative to say.

The snack box was a lovely and welcome touch in the Suite. Beautiful decor and extremely clean, staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast was lovely, fresh and hot. Also ate in The Printing Press Bar and Grill in the evening lovely meal and very reasonable. Excellent location, most definitely found the best hotel, highly recommend it.

Luxury
    • Guest Room Double

Breakfast was very good , the a la carte menu could be improved

Really enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious yet cosy and every comfort was taken care of . The tuck box was genius :)

• Reviewed: May 10, 2018

The room was lovely and spacious and the TV with the...
    • Guest Room Double

I ordered room service and had fish and chips from the menu. The fish batter was dripping in grease which was a shame as it looked amazing and the portion was very generous - as such i barely ate it. I also ordered a drink which didn't come with the food. The member of staff apologised and said he would return with it the drink never materialised.

The room was lovely and spacious and the TV with the opportunity to mirror a phone screen was excellent - i got to watch films of my choice through my Netflix account which made for a pleasant evening. Loved the complimentary tuck box too and fresh milk for drinks in the fridge. Great touch!!

• Reviewed: May 10, 2018

Good location good rooms but services wanting
    • Guest Room Double

The coffee shop was really poor. You need to employ more local people to front the hotel. We noted local managers discussing work on the front outside who must know the local scene but none of this was apparent on your public face. You need much better tourist guidance about events, restaurants, venues, maps etc. This department also was really poor. That is not to say your none British staff did not try hard but that they were not equipped to help

The croissants were old. The fruit salad was two days old and dead on top and gone to water below. The bacon butty was inedible and you gave money back - the bacon was like leather and stuck in your teeth. I speak of the coffee shop. We had to go to Sainsburys to get fresh food