2. UK hotel reviews

9.7

9.8

9.7

9.8

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 29 November 2018

Excellent, loved it.

Couldn't fault it

Excellent host, very friendly, everywhere spotless, very comfy bed, breakfasts were very good. By far the best B&B we've stayed in and would definitely go back. Great location too.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2018

Very good place to stay when away on business
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Parking can be an issue just remember to ask for help from the owners and they can help you to park outside.

They are always very friendly and accommodating when you arrive. The hotel is located at the top of the town giving easy access to the shops, restaurants and cinema. The place is always spotless and cosy when you stay.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2018

This was such a lovely night stayed for a family wedding Ann...

Had to leave xx

This was such a lovely night stayed for a family wedding Ann was so kind and helpful breakfast was lovely and the young man that was do orders for breakfast. The room was lovely me and my husband have been in lots of B and B hotels and never matched this place 10 out of ten thank you so much will definitely go back xx.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2018

Lovely hosts, beautiful guesthouse in a great location...pretty perfect!
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Glendale Guest House is such a lovely period property that has been cherished by the hosts. Our room was very pretty with a lovely, comfy bed, newly fitted en-suite bathroom and beautiful views across the churchyard grounds. Breakfast was delicious and Ben's service was great! Ann was warm and welcoming and immediately made us feel at home....we had a wonderful stay!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Convenient, clean, friendly, comfortable and good value!
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

On street parking OK but could be difficult to find a space at certain times so clarification of the cheapest areas, timings, etc would be useful to clarify for visitors.

A 'classic' guest house with beautiful staircase and Georgian décor - which are fast disappearing! Very comfortable facilities and welcoming lady. Very convenient for town.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Overall very pleasant stay. I would certainly recommend it but a larger room would be much better.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Room very small. I had a single room, and even with 2 relatively small bags there wasn't much space to move around and felt a little cramped. The large tilt-and-turn window means the room is either too warm or too cold, and ventilation is poor if the window is shut.

Central location, very friendly and helpful landlady, lovely breakfast, beautiful house.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Overall very pleasant stay
    • Family Room with Bathroom

Two flights of stairs to room - too much for elderly and incapacitated Duvets were too hot Difficulty to obtain fresh air into room - window very large

Very nice friendly owner High standard of decor Good breakfast Sparkling clean

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

The hotel was a very nice place, very welcoming.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

There was nothing really I would change. The parking outside isn't the easiest but that is not the fault of the hotel and cant be changed.

The hotel was a very nice place, very welcoming. The breakfast was lovely with lots of options. It was lovely and quiet just what you need for a good night sleep.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

my husband myself and sister stayed here as we were at a...
    • Family Room with Bathroom

my husband myself and sister stayed here as we were at a wedding at a near by hotel.this is a beautifull house and accomodation.they could not do enough for us.we would stay hear again.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

High class at a budget price
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Beautiful, victorian house very stylishly decorated. Lovely friendly welcome. Beautiful room with top quality teas/biscuits/toiletries. Great breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Very comfortable and well presented room.
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Nothing. It was a great wee stay.

Very comfortable and well presented room. Excellent breakfast with great choice of cereals and hot food. Ann was very friendly and helpful during our short stay. Thank you!

Our hostess was lovely.
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Our hostess was lovely. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated and our breakfast was excellent. We are looking forward to returning in the future!

Brilliant, lovely and impressive.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Only one thing I feel a little uncomfortable about my stay. My room was towards the side of tomb area. But I didn't have any nightmare. So maybe not a big deal.

I was really impressed by the passion and hospitality of Ann and her son. She was always patient and ready to help. And the info and tips she offered are almost all very helpful. I managed an one-day visit of the Ullswater lake and came back to Penrith in time. As a foodie I was really amazed by the Italian restaurant she recommended. The food I ordered was quite authentic and serve was high qualified I will say. People were friendly there too. I really had a good and relaxing time there. Definitely recommended for travellers who would like to visit the nature of lake districts!

Lovely family run guesthouse. We didn't want to leave!

There was a lovely family atmosphere here and everyone was very kind and friendly. The rooms were all very comfortable and cosy and a good size for both a single and twin room. We felt very welcome and the information provided by the property was also excellent before our stay. Breakfasts were delicious and set us up well for the day and it was nice that we could decide whether to have these when we arrived at the property, rather than needing to decide at the time of our booking.

An absolute gem

Nothing to dislike

Fantastic B&B! From the minute we walked in we were made to feel welcome by Ann and the service throughout was excellent. The room was spotless and very well equipped, breakfast was also great. 10 out of 10 for the whole experience. Thanks

Perfect place to stay

Great place and lovely very helpful host. Immaculately clean and well decorated. Lovely place to stay - can't fault anything at all. Secure lock up for bikes and amazing value for money. Really enjoyed our stay. Thank you.

Good service - lovely guest house.
    • Family Room with Bathroom

Parking was on the street and there wasn’t an available space near the property. Next time I would look for a property with off street designated parking.

Would definitely recommend this property and would stay again if in the area and it was available
    • Family Room with Bathroom

On street parking may be a little tricky at certain times, large council car park available near by at small cost.

The whole property was spotless clean, large room with very comfy bed, good quality furnishings and excellent en-suite shower. Had room overlooking back of property, was lovely and quiet. Plenty of bars and restaurants within short walk. Good choice at breakfast. Anne and her son Ben were wonderful hosts, didn't see Anns husband so sorry can't comment on him, probably very busy in the back.

Staff friendly, as i was travelling alone it was nice that...
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Staff friendly, as i was travelling alone it was nice that they were talkative and very helpful. I felt at home but away from home, it was great and would definetly recommend to others .

Fab!!!
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The staff were really friendly and welcoming. I turned up early and was able to check in straight away. Everything I needed to know was fully explained to me. Comfy bed and clean, perfect. Would strongly recommend!

Ann & Paul who run the guest house were very warm...
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Ann & Paul who run the guest house were very warm friendly and welcoming . The room was lovely . Very clean and extremely comfortable. Guest house was well placed in Penrith for what I needed to do whilst there. Thank you Ann and Paul for a nice stay and I will book again for my next visit . Jay

VERY NICE ONE NIGHT STAY IN PENRITH

NOTHING TO DISLIKE

ONLY HAD 1 NIGHTS STAY GUEST HOUSE WAS VERY COMFORTABLE EXCELLENT ROOM WAS GREETED AND SHOWN TO OUR ROOM WAS ABLE T PARK OUTSIDE WAS GIVEN A PARKING PERMIT. IT WAS A LOVELY VICTORIAN BUILDING VERY NICE INTERIOR. VERY NICE BREAKFAST.

Good stopover for cyclists
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Everything. The welcome was great, the room was all I was expecting and I had a very relaxing stay. Just what I needed after cycling from Whitehaven - especially the shower! There is a secure shed for bikes, so highly recommended for cyclists.

We stayed for 1 night at Glendale, we had a warm welcome...
    • Family Room with Bathroom

We stayed for 1 night at Glendale, we had a warm welcome from Ann and her lovely family. Our double room was large, clean and well presented with a comfy bed. Breakfast was very tasty. Great location, walking into town. We would stay again! Thanks Ann for looking after us!

Excellent and great value for money
    • Deluxe Double Room

Would be even more perfect if there was air conditioning especially on a warm summer's night

We stayed in room 3 on the first floor; it had a large comfortable king size bed and the room was very clean and tastefully decorated. The host, Ann and her family were really welcoming and friendly; and the breakfast served was very good with a good variety of choices. Location of the B&B was also ideal with off road parking available.

Very enjoyable full English breakfast.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

No complaints about property. Difficult to park on street after 6pm.

Very enjoyable full English breakfast. Perhaps a second rasher of bacon would have been welcomed. Room was very comfortable with all requirements met. Only criticism is maybe on small side.

Great stay in nice Cumbrian town
    • Single Room with Bathroom

- No desk or table in room (basically, the room is to small for it)

- Very friendly reception by landlady. - Very good and large breakfast - Very quiet neighborhood at night i.e. overlooking an old cemetry :-) - Town center and shopping easily reachable on foot - Plenty of local guides available in entrance hall

lovely victorian house very well presented very friendly...

We only stayed 1 night next time will be longer too many stairs

lovely victorian house very well presented very friendly owner lovely large bedroom with view onto back of church yard lots of greenery . excellent breakfast with all local produce would recommend room but take into account 4 flights of stairs so be prepared needs chair on landing to rest said my wife .

Wonderful place, wonderful people and wonderful food
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Can't think of anything.....

This is a beautiful place to stay. Ann and her husband made me feel so welcome and the place is sparking and very comfortable. The breakfast was ample and very tasty and set me up for the day.

Will return when in the area again
    • Deluxe Double Room

Anne was very helpful and friendly, we had a 4 poster bed and lovely large shower. Superb breakfast, very convenient for restaurants nearby, just a short walk to a lovely Spanish restaurant

The guest house owners have restyled the Glendale with...
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

The guest house owners have restyled the Glendale with delightful decor, and the rooms are comfortable, the owners friendly and helpful. The location is very convenient, and the breakfast very good indeed. We could not have had a more pleasant stay.

perfect for my 2 nights working away in Penrith
    • Single Room with Bathroom

I should have booked a double room instead of a single to give myself a bit more space but that was my fault

Warm and welcoming Ann. The Cumberland sausage was great! Great selection of tea bags - Clipper is my favourite! And the morning coffee was exactly as I'd have made myself Brilliant shower

Excellent value, very friendly, super clean. Will return
    • Single Room with Bathroom

I was in a room with quite noisy traffic outside. On my return journey I had a very quiet room, the only sound was the owl hooting from trees outside! Lovely.

Super friendly hosts. Really spotlessly clean and very comfortable.

Charming place - would defininetly go back again
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Ann and her family were so welcoming and helpful. Loved the house with its history - such a lovely place. We were just a few minutes walk from station, bus stop and departmental stores. My family and I really enjoyed our stay here. Highly recommended.

An unexpected gem
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

The breakfast at 8.30 latest was a little early.

Easy parking on the street outside and very close to the town centre which was a 5 min walk. The house was a three storey terrace which was immaculate inside. The rooms were comfortable and warm with a small shower room en suite. A hearty breakfast was served in a large dining room. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a small dog with us and he had sausage for breakfast and was made very welcome, he loved his stay

Great location with a very warm welcome! I would be happy to stay here again!
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

The only criticism would be the water pressure- unfortunately the shower was a bit dribbly!

We had an excellent stay at Glendale House. Ann made us both feel very welcome and was very helpful and friendly. The location was excellent, being just close enough to the middle of town. Street parking was fine, as we were out during the day and it was easy to get a spot overnight.

One of the best Guest Houses I stay in, anywhere.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Nothing, apart from my stay always being just for one night.

The welcome,comfort, attention to detail and wonderful breakfast made this a real home from home experience. I never stay anywhere else when visiting Penrith on business. Ann and Paul are excellent hosts.

Lovely B and B with great location for the town

Only a slight point , Parking worked ok for overnight stop as times work with a free permit provided, but presume you would have to move your car to a street nearby if left throughout the day . But not to much hassle

The location was fantastic for access to the town. Anne ,the owner was very polite ,friendly and helpful. Lovely room ,clean with good facilities.

This really is a gem of a guest house.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The attention to detail is like a home from home! The owners are so welcoming and the best breakfast anyone could wish for. This is my second stay and would love to stay again if in the area.

Ann was a wonderful host and her freshly renovated Victorian...
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Ann was a wonderful host and her freshly renovated Victorian just lovely. They really payed attention to every detail when decorating the house and rooms. Breakfast was all-English; tasty and big. Parking in front of the house is limited but public car parks are available near-by. I can highly recommend this B&B!!! :-)

Lovely b&b,lovely staff,highly recommend
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Excellent one night stay,wifi very good,room big and spacious,breakfast very enjoyable and staff,including Benji,helpful and made our stay,will use again and recommend💙

Loved the spacious room, very helpful & the location is...
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

We could feel the radiator but only when we touched it & it was on full so the room was cold (the bed was comfy & warm which helped on evenings) also the bathroom door wouldn't close proper.

Loved the spacious room, very helpful & the location is less then a minute walk for us for the town centre. Owners are lovely, they try to remember your plans if you have told them. No strict time to be back so if your visiting family/friends or travelling somewhere there's no need to worry

Excellent and would return.

Nothing to note.

The bed was exceptionally comfy and high quality bedding/ linen provided.Full English breakfast was thoroughly enjoyable and I especially liked the Cumberland sausage.Well worth the £5 paid.

Glendale Guest House -

There was nothing I didn't like

Everything about our stay was faultless, Ann was extremely helpful and friendly and she was able to accommodate our early check in. The rooms were huge and very comfortable, breakfast was great. I would definitely recommend Glendale to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Penrith

Brilliant!
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Very warm welcome from the owner, beautifully decorated and comfortable house and room. Huge choice for breakfast, it smelled amazing though we did not have time to stay for it. Very well situated, 5 min walk to centre of Penrith with free street parking right outside. Would recommend.

Excellent.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

More than satisfied with everything.

the warm welcome,the room was exceptional,warm,nice décor,great shower and a comfortable bed.The cooked breakfast was one of the best I have ever tasted.The location is ideal for the centre of Penrith and for discovering the lakes.Cannot be faulted.

Very pleasant and would definitely return if i choose to go to Penrith again
    • Single Room with Bathroom

I could not possibly improve anything about staying at Glendale Guest house. It was immaculate and very comfortable and very well looked after so highly recommend

A clean and comfortable room to very high standards

perfect but for limited on street parking
    • Family Room with Bathroom

the parking is on street and therefore hit and miss given that there are a few competing guesthouses on the same short street. This is the only downside to the property.

A large comfortable old house with a wide stairs, well furnished and spotlessly clean with a very tasteful decor conveniently located a few minutes walk from the town centre. Excellent breakfast which was great value. The owner was well organised and helpful. There is a good pub and an Italian restaurant 1 minutes walk away.

Very relaxing from arrival to departure.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Just the weather which is beyond control.

In a word Wonderful. Ann is lovely host and very helpful. The rooms are clean and functional. The breakfast is well worth having with a vast array of choice on offer. I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment be it for one night or more.

Spotless, welcoming, easy access to trains and buses; fabulous breakfast!

Warm welcome and friendly owners. Excellent breakfasts; good choice and extra available. Spotlessly clean and rooms very comfortable. Just off the town centre so easy 5 minute walk into Penrith. A lovely place to stay with easy access to rail and bus stations. We would definitely stay here again and recommend. Linda

Location was good an the owners friendly and helpful.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Thought it a little pricey as parking wasn't nearby. Although we were offered a permit to park outside but there were limited spaces.

Location was good an the owners friendly and helpful.

Perfect
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The location is ideal for walking to Penrith town centre.The host Ann is probably the nicest lady in Cumbria nothing is too much trouble.The room was exceptional everything I could ever need comfotable bed .Breakfast was lovely.A very well decorated lovely guest house.Would strongly recommend.

Beautiful guesthouse exceeds expectations for the price.
    • Family Room with Bathroom

Parking. Cumbria council in their wisdom has only given 2hrs free parking outside all the guest houses in this road, and you have to have a parking disc, which is free, but you have to show time of arrival on the disc.... So you can't park before 4pm to check in and you can't park after 10am , hence the early check out.

House is stunning. Breakfast was really good. Hospitality was exceptional.

Wouldn't stay again.
    • Family Room with Bathroom

The owners, knew nothing of the local area, even tho' Ann said they had owned the property for the last year. Couldn't book in till after 16:00, breakfast finished at 08:30. Had to be out for 10:00

Glendale Guest House is beautiful.

Absolutely Nothing!

Glendale Guest House is beautiful. A gorgeous building inside and out. The room was decorated beautifully, very comfortable and the cleanliness was impeccable. Ann was very welcoming and very helpful. Me and my husband would definitely stay here again.

A beautiful guest house which we will definitely use again and recommend to others

Parking was a little challenging but the town hall car park oppposite the property was available for use

A wonderful welcome to a beautifully appointed and well located guest house

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

A very enjoyable and comfortable overnight stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Unlimited parking would have been very useful even though it seems almost impossible because of the location of the property, no other comment.

The owner, Anne, was most welcoming and helpful. She organised our street parking in front of the guest house by moving her car and allowing me park with a disc for overnight stay. The room was very good indeed, some ornate furniture and four-poster bed [!], very comfortable, although it took up quite a lot of space in the room. The cooked breakfast was very good and well presented. She also told us where to have a reasonably priced and good dinner, we ended up at the George Hotel, it was very good, if the drinks were a bit expensive!

Very little.

Rooms were spacious, well appointed and clean. Beds were very comfortable. Breakfast (extra charge) was superb and good value. Location is ideal. Parking is a bit of an issue but this is common for the centre of Penrith and there are car parks within easy walking distance.

Nice, clean, safe, friendly, comfy.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

I was very lucky with parking as I used the car everyday and didn't need to park up. I could see that it would be a bit of a nuisance if you needed to leave the car for more than two hours on the road. Finding a parking space took longer than normal but again I was lucky on all 4 days of my stay. Guesthouse provided me with a parking dial.

Very comfortable mattress. Slept very well. Staff very friendly. Worried about negative vibes because of my ethnicity but 1-2 seconds after initial (obvious) surprise it was smiles and friendliness all the way. I would stay there again. I liked the view of the cemetery from my window. Knew I would get a good nights sleep.

Lovely B&B made are overnight stop in Penrith an unexpected joy.
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

The mattress , (not pocket sprung) - I m fussy on beds for a good nights sleep... had it been we would give this place full marks.... and having said that we are thinking of going to Penrith again and this will the first B&B to ring for a room.

Very friendly, very clean large room, property full of character, good location for walking into town, good breakfast. Even offered to carry backs up to our room.

The owner and her son were very pleasant and welcoming.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The large window in the single bedroom looked out onto the street and there is no blind or net curtain so the curtains had to be fully closed before getting into or out of bed and when changing..It would benefit so much by some privacy,the window was not only overlooked by the pavement opposite,there was also a memorial sitting area with benches where they could see straight in. Parking .it wasn't possible to park on the street outside,so I had to park a couple of mins away on another street

The owner and her son were very pleasant and welcoming. The house was very clean and attractive.

Excellent Service with a Smile

Ann, the proprietor was so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and both she and her son did everything with a smile, what a refreshing change. I would recommend this guest house to anyone. It was so clean and tidy and we felt reassured that our bikes were safely stored overnight.

Lovely area to see the trees, flowers at the beginning of the Lake District
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Everything seemed fine. We weren't there long enough to see anything that wasn't okay.

The area was very pretty. Hosts were nice. Room was comfortable. We were only there for a quick overnight stay before having to go on to our destination.

Felt a bit like Harry Potter But at least I had an ensuite Harry Didn't
    • Single Room with Bathroom

smallest room ever, poor furniture placement, the bed and dressing table needed to be on opposite walls. TV on wall by the Head Board large wall mirror on opposite wall to the dressing table. I ended up sleeping at the opposite end of the bed in order to watch TV ensuite squeezed in to the room with a very noisy saniflow. having to pre order breakfast the night before not very welcoming either

central location

Great place to stay
    • Family Room with Bathroom

Would've appreciated the check out time to be a little later as it was 10am but nothing else was bad!

The beds were unreal! So soft and comfortable I could go back just for the bed itself! Staff were lovely. Overall the room and bathroom were great, such cute little extras in small boxes like cotton buds and flannels.

Excellent!!!!
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Beautiful place, really tidy inside and out, room was superb, had all you need 😊The hosts were great, they made us feel at home, offering to carry our bags up stairs, told us where the best places were to visit, and the breakfast was SO TASTY!! Highly recommended.

Lovely stay in Penrith

We loved it all!

Lovely place to stay in Penrith with very friendly family - great stopover during our C2C cycle trip with my boyfriend! Nice spacious room and comfortable bed, tasty breakfast made to order.

Excellent location, most helpful owners and a good choice
    • Family Room with Bathroom

The bed was a little creaky on my husband's side, but I noticed this more because it was a very hot day/night and I was a little restless in the early hours. Having said this, it did not detract from our overall satisfaction with the accommodation

Warm welcome and large, pleasant room. The son of the owner's served at breakfast and was a credit to them and a delight

A very comfortable and enjoyable stay
    • Single Room with Bathroom

I would have liked to drop my bag in before check in, however there was no one available at the time.

Amazing breakfast very fresh and full of flavour. Lovely room very comfortable bed and beautiful en-suite. Anne was very welcoming and her son was exceptional in his role of serving breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Couldn't find anything to complain about.
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Not really there problem ,,,,,the lack of good parking is a shame. We managed after a bit of coming and going..

Couldn't find anything to complain about....... really first class.

Good find in the Lakes
    • Deluxe Double Room

The house was easy to find , we managed to park right outside. It's a large house , our room was clean and comfortable with a huge four poster bed . Location was good to get into town , we had a nice Indian meal . Breakfast was tasty and the owners son Benjamin was helping out , he's a very polite young man . No noise from the other rooms and we had a key so free to come and go as we pleased . Would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Top place in Penrith UK
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

Very enjoyable stay at Glendale Guesthouse. I wish it could have been longer. Breakfast was great. The towels were huge, white and fluffy. Thank you Ann.

Very friendly and helpful hosts.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Very friendly and helpful hosts. Property impeccably kept. Sizeable, immaculate, very comfortable room. In central Penrith (neat as a pin lovely small town with good restaurants within a few blocks) but easy to find. On the edge of the Lakes.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

A little gem
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The landlady was welcoming and helpful. A useful feature for cyclists is secure storage. Great location for cycling also Penrith is a charming little town with lots of historic features, great facilities and very handy for the lake district.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

I loved my stay at Glendale Guest House
    • Double or Twin Room with Bathroom

I only stayed one evening and everything was good. Met my satisfaction. Nothing I did not like.

The view from my bedroom window was picturesque. Very quite. The owner very polite and helpful.

Showing 1 – 75