Reviews of Globe Hotel 3 stars

71 North Station Road, Colchester, CO1 1RQ, United Kingdom

#11 of 12 hotels in Colchester

No bar or snack area.

Excellent hotel....friendly reception staff and the breakfast lady, Erica, bent backwards to enhance the start of our day. Ample FREE parking...room was bigger than expected, really great that...shower a dream! Clean linen, towels, toiletries all supplied daily. We were going to just stay for a couple of days but ended up staying for 5...instead of move onwards.

Disappointing and overpriced

The 'cubicle' bathroom was badly designed, with a tiny basin overhung with a small shelf which prevented it's use in the normal way. Also, the walls in our double room had been sloppily painted, resulting in splattered door frames. And we had to wedge open the window with a book on a very hot day and night. Cigarette butts on the flat roof outside. Dingy !

We had a good night sleep and breakfast was ok nothing else.

The room was not what we expected, it was a large room but not in a good way with a (tatty) kitchen. The furniture had the appearance of just being stored in the room with no thought for positioning, no bedside cupboard/table or lamp, the light switch was a dimmer that didn't work only shone brilliant and was a long way across the room from the bed . The bathroom was also large and the facilities seemed lost in it, the sink was at my groin hight (I'm 5'8''). the bathroom also seemed tatty for example in the shower there was a wall fixing/ 1/2 a wall bracket for a soap dispenser, the usual small showers gel tubes were supplied but no where to put them when showering other than on the floor. I could go on but suffice to say the the room was not cozy and if we were not so tired we would have asked to change rooms and in deed regret not doing so.

The bed was large and comfortable the breakfast was basic but ok

Ideal for my business trip

Tried asking for an omelette for breakfast instead of full English but the kind lady didn’t understand me

Ideal for my business ess trip, good Wi-Fi, free parking

Great value and slept well

Just a little tired aroundd the edges

The property is just outside the center of town, a little tired but that was compensated by the good service and the size of the room I was in. I have lived in smaller flats!

Brilliant value, nice location.

I liked everything! Even the non-working lift did not bother me, as the staircase was beautiful. The booking email warns you about the lift, anyway. The lack of a lift may deter some older or less mobile folk.

I liked everything at the Globe. I picked it as I was looking for inexpensive accommodation but was treated to a huge room with all facilities (shower room, kitchenette, ample furniture, very comfortable bed). The self service breakfasts were superb - a huge choice of foods, hot and cold. Highly recommended. If I ever go to Colchester again I shall certainly contact the Globe.

Review

The bathroom wasn't very clean And the bed was on the left of the bedroom and the tv was on the right so if there was two of you it was hard to see .

Car park was good the security getting into the rooms seemed to be good restaurant was ok

good value
    • Standard Twin Room

for the price we paid it was excellent value. staff were helpful and polite. slept very well. would stay here again. breakfast far exceeded expectations.

It was a bad experience for all the members of the group I...

It was a bad experience for all the members of the group I booked there. We will definitely not be staying there again. They all complained about the hygiene and cleanliness of the place, the standard of the rooms and the quality of the breakfast served. It was fortunate we only stayed there the one night.

Staff where lovely.
    • Standard Twin Room

Staff where lovely. We arrived about 11.30, we were told the rooms were not ready yet, but we asked if we could watch the royal wedding in the reception bit and eat our sandwiches that we bought with us. All was ok with them. Had a little chat with the staff about the royal wedding when they stopped for a break too. We could leave the car whilst we went shopping too. Room was interesting. Clean with kettle, tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was like a prefab caravan unit plonked in the room. But served purpose well. Bit tight, but was good for a working shower and toilet. Nothing leaked when we used it. Breakfast was good. We ordered the English breakfast. They had ran out of mushrooms when we were served, but that was not a big deal. It seems everyone came down for breakfast at once, so the poor lady serving was rather rushed off her feet, but she did really well. I would say they could do with another toaster for busy periods, as there was a bit of a queue for toast (you had to do yourself), plenty of gluten free foods available, they had a little section. Croissants and other pastries were available too. Everything was very nice, don't expect the Ritz, but it was clean and tidy and the staff were all very friendly. I would stay there again.

Really good value for a 3 star Hotel.
    • Standard Single Room

Needed a taxi and it was no trouble for the receptionist to sort it all out for me. The staff cooked me an excellent Full English Breakfast and the choice was as good as a 5 star Hotel.

I got a good rate including breakfast and free parking so would def stay here again

Decor was a bit dated but really didn’t matter

Good location. Friendly welcome. The WiFi worked and the room was big. Breakfast was good nice selection

Comfortable
    • Standard Single Room

TV......hand held control not working ......position too high nearly on cieling......

Quiet and room size good en-suite shower room good and clean

A hotel inspector would rip this place apart, they need to get things sorted.
    • Standard Single Room

Old TV could not get most channels!Windows not double glazed plenty of street noise!Could not get radiator to work for more heat!Found empty wine bottle behind the wardrobe which was positioned away from the wall! There was a double head board on a single bed. And lastly a small used bar of soap in shower with hairs,grim!

Comfortable bed and location to town centre. Friendly staff.

Wonderful room in the star anglia but very noise poor sleep
    • Standard Single Room

Very noisy last night people shouting lots of noise in corridors doors slamming. Didn’t get to sleep until 1.45 am having gone to bed at 10.30.

The staff are very friendly and very helpful they really do this hotel credit. I can’t say enough through out my weeks stay it’s the staff that make this hotel great

Pleasant friendly staff clean and very warm
    • Standard Single Room

The only thing I would have wanted was for the bedding to have been changed each day as the towels where.

Mostly I appreciated how warm it was as I stayed whilst it was extremely bad cold weather spell. The shower in the globe did leak over a little bit but I was pleasantly surprised at how powerful the shower was. No complaints really.

Basic accommodation which is clean and comfortable
    • Standard Twin Room

It was not easy to find the hotel. The croissants were stale and the fried eggs had been cooked some time before we had breakfast.

The room was basic but very clean although there was litter in 2 drawers. The beds were extremely comfortable. Central location with the castle and High St within easy walking distance.

Easy to access from the A12, light and spacious room.
    • Standard Single Room

Reception staff, please explain to guests at check-in the quirk of opening the doors!

Easy to access from the A12, light and spacious room. Friendly staff. Wifi connection was solid, but not the fastest in the bedroom. I was able to use the quiet breakfast room as a laptop workspace in the evening.

Book the hotel next door.

Room booked for Globe was about 30 years out of date and hadn't been cleaned. Requested a new room and was put on the (much nicer) Star Anglia next door at no cost.

Good distance between the train station and the town centre(and the spa which we visited) Staff were very accommodating Second room we were given was incredible.

Perfect location, Great Staff, needs some TLC to make it a great hotel.
    • Standard Twin Room

The bathroom / pod was very small, and as a larger person I did struggle, the cleanliness was ok, though the shower tray and under the soap dispenser had green mould in and around it. The decoration of the room was poorly finished as though the decorator had been in a rush and had splashed paint over the door frames.

The beds were really comfy and the hotel was located right where we needed it to be.

Brilliant
    • Standard Twin Room

On arrival the gentleman on reception immediately upgraded our room, as I was using a walking stick, at no extra cost to make my life easier. Meant so much

Clean, tidy and only ten minutes from the town centre. Definitely stay again.
    • Standard Single Room

Hotel was dimly lit outside on the main road. Having parked when satnav told me I was at my location, I had to phone the hotel to find out where it was. By night the signage is poor to non existent

Cleanliness

It was ok. Despite the didn't likes I'd revisit there if the deal was good.
    • Standard Single Room

1. Trying to check when arriving that the payment machine isn't the one that refused my card twice last time before another machine was used - I was interrupted abruptly and rudely to say "this one works". 2. No filter coffee at breakfast and told T.W.O.T.E. "better luck next time".

The bed was comfortable and I was back in a room I had been in previously where the floor doesn't creek.

Room itself was a big room and the bed was big, with 2...

The bathroom was ridiculously tiny and cramped with no hanging space or shelves for toiletries. Was hard to use the sink as it was so small and no room to even bend over the sink! If you're over 5ft 6, you'll struggle with the bathroom! There were no bedside lights only the very bright main room light and all the furniture was disproportionately small and poorly placed out. Was a pity as the room size, new looking carpet and location were very nice. The bathroom really put us off as it was so uncomfortable and we won't re-book The Globe unless it's really the last place in town with a room!

Room itself was a big room and the bed was big, with 2 pillows each and 2 towels each.

Ok room bit small but served the purpose
    • Standard Single Room

Not enough tea coffee milk sugar needed a bowl so I could eat cereal x and I was recovering from an operation for the night people coming in next to me noisy in an out disturbing and upsetting

Good shower

Basic but satisfactory for my purposes
    • Standard Single Room

The lift to the second floor was not working. The ensuite was a "cabin" in the bedroom, rather basic and the shower floor was liable to flood as the cubicle was rather claustrophobic.

After a productive day at work, and evening watching local football, I had a great night's sleep.
    • Standard Twin Room

I was worried that with some floorboards creeking I may have disturbed people downstairs.

This was my second visit. This time the mattress and pillows were comfy. Shower ok but I prefer a bath. Rainchecked breakfast because at £7.50 supermarkets can provide one for slightly less.

Friendly staff. Good parking. Creaky floorboards - but I later had a good night's sleep.
    • Standard Single Room

Being picky, no bath tub. But that could be down to what I booked.

Bed was comfy and the double glazing kept out the traffic noise. I have never experienced a shower room like the room I was in but it worked well and I fealt clean and refreshed when leaving in the morning.

Shocking

Bathroom too small Shower water went over whole floor Receptionist lacked understanding of English 3 bulbs not working in room Bathroom door didn’t shut from bedroom Lift not working Bed springs had gone

Good choice of breakfast food

Never to be repeated
    • Standard Single Room

I think this room is from a bi-gone era - geared towards a commercial traveller. The bed was so worn the mattress had sunk in the middle. The curtains did not block out the light. There was no bed side table or lamp. The noise from the corridor, street below and other rooms was really bad. The 'ensuite' was a wetroom cubicle like you get on ferries. After the first night the bed was left unmade, the bin not emptied but the wet towels from the very wet bathroom taken and not replaced.

Good car park

Clean comfortable hotel with helpful staff

Very helpful and friendly staff with good offstreet parking. Comfortable room and our room at the back of the hotel was away from the street so there was no vehicle noise. When I booked I understood there was a restaurant there but it had been closed. It didn't matter as there were a variety of good, inexpensive restaurants within easy walking distance.

Won’t be staying here again.
    • Standard Single Room

Blood on duvet, unable to tell if it was a stain or from previous occupant. Changed by staff when informed, but still unacceptable. Bed was hard, the floor would have probably been softer. Single glazed windows meant that as soon as traffic started up in the morning you were awake, so don’t expect a lay in if your room is by the road.

Cheap and reasonably central to town.

Fine for a night but we wouldn't choose to stay again if there was another option.

It could be a lovely hotel with a bit more care - but the curtains didn't close properly, half the light bulbs weren't working, we only had one set of towels between two of us, the shower curtain didn't fit, and there was a stain on the duvet that looked like make up.

Bed was comfortable and the location was good - easy to access. Staff were pleasant. Shower was powerful.

Get a deal,manage your expectations..competative price
    • Standard Twin Room

There was no information folder,we guessed breakfast times.no info on Bar times ,attractions any extra services The lift was not working for the duration and there we a couple of light bulbs in the room burnt out. Some plaster work needed attention, The sockets in the room tripped out one day. The reception could be better signed The corridor lighting switches could be made standard and more visible

We got a breakfast with room deal...The selection was excellent...Pancakes Crumpets Toast nedver seen a wider choice Cooked breakfast was great ,the Beans which were quality could hve been hotter. The Eggs were fantastic ,still runny Coffee from the machine best I have ever tasted! Staff very friendly and attentive

A budget hotel - comfortable and a good price but, as you would expect, fairly basic.
    • Standard Single Room

The lift was not working. I had a "capsule" style bathroom so it was very small.

The staff, particularly on reception, were helpful and pleasant.

Great staff, awful rooms.

The bed was one of the worst I have ever slept on. The springs were all shot to pieces. The bathroom was tiny, and a cabin bathroom installed after the room was built. No room to turn around easily in the toilet.

The staff were amazing and let me check in early and out late for free. The breakfast was decent, full english cooked to order. The location was decent, around a 15 minute walk to town, and the reception called us a taxi to a wedding.

Good value but the room wasn't great.
    • Standard Twin Room

The room was too hot, the bathroom was too small and the shower was not great at all.

The location as in how close it was to town, value for money and the staff friendliness.

Won't stay again

Noisy floors... we could hear people walking. Terrible beds, trafic noise. Curtains of bedroom looks like never been washed. Shower curtain looked disgusting. The all place needs to be refurbished. No reception for the check out.

Nothing really

excellent located hotel for our purpose visit to family in Colchester

For breakfast we needed to go outside to the Globe hotel opposite .

We were allocated to the Star hotel opposite, which is under shared management with the Globe hotel. A clean spacious room.

Ok for 1 night, uncomfortable mattress, tiny portable bathroom, friendly staff, ok location.

The double bedroom had 2 mattresses joined together in a single bed, the mattresses were very springy and I could feel coils through the mattress. The bathroom looks like a caravan bathroom but much smaller. It was hard to brush my teeth over a sink, it was so small. You enter the bathroom as if it's a portable toilet - everything's in plastic, very tacky, doesn't make you feel good.

The staff was very nice and friendly.

Not great, even for a budget hotel
    • Standard Single Room

Walls stained in the room. Appears to have been some sort of water leak. Toilet seat not fitted properly. Service around breakfast in the morning was well below the standard I expect. Impolite and unhelpful

Nothing particularly impressed me

It was awful, deffiantly not worth £55 a night
    • Standard Single Room

the lampshade was broken, there was no table the phone was on the floor, the bathroom if you can call it that.. it was like a caravan shower no room and had a massive step to get into. The covers were shredded inside and the view was awful.

The worst hotel in which I have ever stayed.

There were overflowing bins in the bedroom and bathroom and an overflowing carrier bag. The towels had not been changed. I doubt that the bed had because the duvet was crumpled and there was a hair on the pillow. It took three quarters of an hour for someone to attend to the bins and towels. Two cans of beer left by the previous guest were still there. The bathroom door wouldn't close. In the morning, the toilet roll holder fell off. In the evening, it had been moved to the shelf over the toilet. It was a double bedroom solely because a double bed had been squeezed into it, leaving little space. There was a lamp on one side only. There was no table and chair for writing. The remote controller had to be aimed precisely from a few inches away, defeating the purpose. In the corridor, a door opened a little, then stopped suddenly, causing me to bang my head. During my working life, I stayed in hotels over thirty years, from Holyhead to London, from Edinburgh to Brighton. I stayed in some dubious ones, but this is definitely the worst. And the cost was £90. 00 a night, payable in advance! Atrocious.

Star Angela instead of Global Hotel

Rude Staff. Especially the night shift one. Bed were ok. Not the comfortable one that I have been.

Nice room. Clean. Accessable to Train Station and Town Center. Good eats close by.

it was okay

the hotel is quite old: - you could hear the creaking sound from the upper floor, the door is not easy to open - dim light and spooky statues on the stairs

1. there is parking place 2. good location, the bus stop just in front, near riverside walk 3. the breakfast quite generous

* Staff was very friendly

* The window wouldn't stay open, kept closing (I had to prop window open with a champagne bottle) * Awful sewage smell coming from the drains in the bathroom * The side lamp was connected to the main lamp, so it was too bright * Breakfast: cold meats was uncovered and flies was all over it... No tablespoons provided (I had to ask for one) * Confusing layout in foyer. Too many stairs * Door entrance needs to be improved (Needs automatic doors)

* Staff was very friendly * Bed was very comfortable * Great location * Value for money

Space is good.
    • Standard Single Room

The light is not enough and shower wiol make the bathroom wetted.

Space is good. If you take the train to Colchester, it is very close to the train station.

Cold Food no hairdryer
    • Standard Twin Room

Shower WC and Basin in a pod in bedroom. Didn't drain after showing like being in a paddling pond afterwards. When we went down to breakfast it was all dried up and cold. No hairdryer in the room told afterwards had to ask reception for a dryer not acceptable.

Bed were comfortable room clean. 10 minutes walk from Train station and 20 minutes to Town. Reception staff helpful.

Yes the bed was comfy & the shower was very good.

The carpet was pretty grubby & the furniture was pretty tired and dated unfortunately & also there was no power socket anywhere near the tea making tray so I had to take the kettle over to the bedside table.

Yes the bed was comfy & the shower was very good.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Generally, good service.
    • Standard Single Room

Dirty teacup and drinking glass were left in the room after the daily cleaning.

The front office staff who checked me in was excellent, he was professional and friendly.

Well worth a visit!
    • Standard Single Room

As a single female i was a bit nervous of being on the ground floor alongside a well used alleyway between two buildings. The blind was plain white, stood quite a long way out from the window and woke me up very early. I moved the bed to the far end of the room by the last night so my head was as far away from the light as possible. Sorted!

Comfy bed and nothing essential missing.

excellent manager very helpful and polite recommend it
    • Standard Twin Room

cleaners let him down but as under new management we over looked it

Manager very nice very helpful went out his way nice decor excellent choice off breakfast and choice of room

NOT bad wouldn't stay again

Creaky floorboards our room and above every time you wsllef across the floor bathroom floor wasn't cleaned dirty footprint was on floor and wasn't cleaned

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Too expensive for the standard.
    • Standard Single Room

The cleaning was terrible! Old nails on the floor and dirt, stains on the curtains and bedsheets. It didn't feel cosy at all. It was falling apart in the bathroom. For that price I was shocked, I've been in better hotels for that price. I won't be coming back, or recommending it.

The staff was really nice, and very helpful.

Might be manageable if you bring earplugs and your own pillow.
    • Standard Single Room

Very noisy (traffic, doors banging, people talking in the corridor etc.) for most of the night. I was awake until 2am. The pillow was like a brick so I had to go without.

Helpful and friendly staff

Dated and odd

The entire floor creaked, as did the stool. The room above's floor also creaked, waking us up when ever they got out of bed. The window did not lock so wasn't secure at all and opened on to a flat roof. The room was dated and tired. Had to place the kettle on the floor to boil it because there was no plugs located by the table.

The location was good. Generous tea and coffee making facilities. Good parking.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Avoid if vegetarian or disabled .. or don't like confrontation

Where do I start?! .. On arrival there is a notice in the window requesting you to call a telephone number to check in but they didn't answer for 20 minutes leaving us in strong winds and cold conditions with no where to wait with shelter .. I am disabled with a spinal disease and walk with crutches therefore requesting for a extra heater because the radiator was on a timer shouldnt be too hard of a request but i was told it would come back on and to call them if it didn't .. as it was 2am I didn't call .. the room was freezing by the morning and i was stiff as a board .. i wouldnt pay £71 to sleep outside in the cold so why should I pay £71 to be as cold as it was outside?! .. My note with my booking was also ignored as I requested a ground floor room but I had to tell them my note was there before taking any notice .. which I was told no ground floor rooms was available .. yet on reporting this with booking.com they investigated and the hotel told them I was offered a ground floor room but turned it down? .. this was not offered .. why would I stress my fusing spine by walking up 3 flights of stairs if I didn't have to? Breakfast .. if you are a vegetarian please avoid the cooked foods .. the hash browns which should be just potato and fresh oil is not they are cooked in the same fat that the sausages are fried in .. if the potato products are fried in tainted oil what else are they cooking wrong?! .. please avoid if you have dietary preferences .. On approaching the staff about my issues I wasn't greeted with friendly help I was greeted with attitude and a language barrier leaving me frustrated and upset by the way the guy was talking to me and getting in my personal space refusing to call the manager or listen to my complaints just gave me a card and told me to write it all down on paper for when the manager was next in ..

The bed was huge and comfortable .. bathroom was ok with free smellies

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Never again

See above box

Hated it. Especially toilet and . Twice door knocked while sleeping in the morning before check out time. One guy wanted to check something for repair, then the cleaner knocked. Bed didn't look clean. I won't ever return

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

This was the worst £40+ room I ever stayed in.
    • Standard Single Room

Room was shabby. Wifi didn't work. Tiny little TV stuck to the ceiling hurt my neck to watch. I expected more from a room at this price.

Got some free biscuits from the staff.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Good location but needs a better sign
    • Standard Single Room

Definitely needs clearer signage, the main sign was not well illuminated from the road and I struggled to find it in rush hour traffic

Excellent location, room was a decent size

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Fairly Grim Budget Accommodation in Colchester
    • Standard Single Room

The "en suite" was a cramped, portakabin-like structure in the corner of the room. Property was hard to find on foot. It's fairly near Colchester Station, but this is a long way from most of the town's attractions.

The nearby Victoria pub is very good.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Globe Hotel
    • Standard Single Room

The wifi was very poor connection and service and could be improved slightly.

Friendly staff who were welcoming, good location and good room size with cleaning services.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

Wouldn't go back here!
    • Standard Twin Room

The room was unclean there was dust ontop Of the wardrobes and behind the bed etc.. the carpet was horrible needs a new carpet! And the room was quite basic and boring. The soap in the shower looked like a bucket of piss! Didn't look appealing at all! And £50?! Would defiantly not pay that for the room. The tv wasn't even working properly (tuned in) so had to choose from about 5 channels. And one of the pillows on the bed was literally so hard like a brick I had to laugh! .... wouldn't stay here again. Not for that money .. maybe for £30!

The room was ok . Bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

Grimey room.
    • Standard Twin Room

Grimey room. Broken bathroom lock. Sink didn't drain. Coins down the toilet. Bulbs out. Broken curtain rail. Shampoo bottles left by last customer. The list could go on

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Acceptable
    • Standard Single Room

The room was small and rather shabby. The bathroom, a inserted plastic block, was a bit crap.

The bed was very nice. I slept like a log. The staff were nice.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Strictly for people expecting a no frills experience
    • Standard Single Room

Functionally everything worked fine and I appreciate it's a budget hotel but comforts were distinctly lacking. Shower/toilet is effectively a small portacabin.

Value for money

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

On the whole a very enjoyable stay
    • Standard Single Room

The lift was not working ,it was a bit of an hike up the stairs

A wide choice of food at breakfast, . hot food made to order. the single room was comfortable and warm

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Cheep and Cheerfull
    • Standard Single Room

No food available. they said restaurant being refurbished. maybe next time .

Rooms small and Basic but clean, freindly staff. I will go back next time i have business nearby :)

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Won't go there again.

Staff not very helpful. Hard to find room and no one escorting you. Not told how to access breakfast room which was locked and dark.

Food good, bed comfortable.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

NEVER AGAIN!

No toilet rolls or coffee in room. Shower room was way too small. Shaver light didn't work. Carpet needed a good clean. Pillows were awful. Road noise!

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Is ok for the amount you pay.

On New Year's Eve night some young guest came back from night out and were very loud my partner reported this to a staff member who took awhile to go and tell them to be quite. Think the service of the staff needs to be improved.

I liked the size of the room as it was very spacious for both me and my partner to get ready for New Year's Eve night out.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Terrible

As you walked into the hotel area it smelt of urine. The bathroom had traces of hair in the shower and on the wall. Bed rock hard and pillows very flat. Didn't sleep at all.

Nothing was good about the stay.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

The room we had for our first night felt dirty (particularly...
    • Standard Twin Room

The room we had for our first night felt dirty (particularly the carpet), dated and didn't have an iron or hairdryer as advertised. The staff went out of their way to satisfy us, giving us a room in their property next door- this was a great room and we were very happy with it.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Great value for money

Room was too hot for our liking but we were able to turn the radiator off.

Good value for money,room clean and spacious. Breakfast excellent selection. Easy walk into town.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

The hotel is a seven minute walk from the station.
    • Standard Twin Room

There was no one at the reception when I arrived and the whole building was locked. Another hotel guest let me in. The room was very basic. The hotel doesn't feel very comfortable for a woman traveling alone.

The hotel is a seven minute walk from the station. There are coffee and tea facilities in the room.