Reviews of The Goodenough on Mecklenburgh Square 4 stars

#357 of 1,031 hotels in London

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Clean and comfortable.
    • Double or Twin Room

The continental breakfast was really not exceptional. Scones were quite cold. Also, I would have appreciated borrowing a travel euro > UK converter, but apparently the one available was already in use. Normally hotels have a few to loan out.

The bed was comfortable, and everything was very clean! I really appreciated the calm and quiet of the room I had in the inner courtyard. The staff was pleasant and nice. I had a very early start, so I was happy that breakfast began at 6:30 and that they had travel cups for the coffee.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Great quiet location within walking distance to Trafalgar Square.
    • Double or Twin Room

We were in the annexe which meant carrying suitcases a flight of steps down, then another up - would be better in the main building. Not a problem for us but could affect some people.

Breakfast was included. Hot breakfast in the Great Hall of the university, or continental at the hotel. Good sized room and bathroom - best shower of our trip. Lovely quiet area in Bloomsbury, near Russell Square. Half an hour walk to the centre of London.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

The hotel is very clean and the staff very helpful.

Paying for a deluxe room I did not expect to have to go up three floors of stairs to get to our room. The last time we were there we had a lovely room on the ground floor overlooking the park but the room we were given was in the basement. The receptionist tried to give us another room but the only one available was on the third floor. We had to accept that room which had a small wardrobe and no sofa. We had to climb up 3 floors of stairs every time with the suitcases because there isn't a lift.

The hotel is very clean and the staff very helpful. The hotel is very well-located.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

pleasant enough but not for us.
    • Double or Twin Room

There were no lifts which I hadn’t realised and lugging our cases up winding staircases and corridors was no fun. There is also no air con and even with the window open, heating off and it being October, room was stuffy. And the pillows were hard and uncomfortable despite the comfy bed. Weird going across the road to breakfast to Hogwarts style hall. The hotel was pleasant but there are better more modern hotels nearby for very little extra which are my preference and I say this as someone who lives in a listed home.

The bathroom shower was excellent and the bed comfortable. Staff were friendly and breakfast food good and regularly re-stocked. Great location.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Excellent, very good location for Central London Theatres.
    • Double or Twin Room

Wasn't able to stay long enough! Nothing was at fault. Parking outside could be a problem during the week - so book for weekends if you have a car.

What a gem this is is! Well placed near central London and if you arrive after about 2 on a Saturday afternoon and leave before 8am on the Monday then the parking outside and around the small quiet square is free inside the parking bay areas! A Taxi to the Strand Bars and Theatres is about £10 and takes about 15 mins. Breakfast is included and this is a short walk across to the the main hall of the College (3 mins) where it is so nice and peaceful and spacious, steeped with history.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

A hidden gem, peaceful and cosy.
    • Double or Twin Room

A lovely location on a quiet leafy square just off Grays Inn road and a stones throw from Kings X station one way, and a pleasant 15 min stroll down to Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. We were given an upgrade on arrival which was great, the room was gorgeous with beautiful full length windows overlooking the gardens, so much room, it was an unexpected surprise! The staff were really friendly and we really enjoyed our stay - thank you!

Poor service and maintenance
    • Double or Twin Room

The front door to the property which was right on the street wouldn't close and the staff failed to call anyone to mend .I had a room on the ground floor just by the entrance and felt very unsafe all night .Very poor.

The location and size of the room

The breakfast in the huge hall is amazing and very british-y...
    • Double or Twin Room

The internet was not working properly in my room, and it seems my colleagues had the same issue. As I stayed just one night I didn't discuss this with staff, so not sure whether they could have solved it. Maybe a bit overpriced, but in London everything is so expensive anyway.

The breakfast in the huge hall is amazing and very british-y, I really recommend it! The room was spacious, very comfortable and cosy. The staff was friendly and very professional, making the checkin and checkout process very easy.

Home away from home...
    • Superior Single Room

I am an Alumni of the College, so may be slightly biased. I love the people you can meet here, Post graduate students from around the world studying every subject you can imagine. The college garden and inner courtyards are fantastic and immediately transport you to a by-gone world. The location of the hotel to the Coram, Soames and British museum are perfect, plus easy walk to restaurants the west end, Saint Pancras and the Eurostar make it awesome.

Goodenough is my home away from home in London, when I can't stay with a friend.
    • Double or Twin Room

There were no croissants or pastries for breakfast compared with my visit last year (I am an annual visitor), the bread for toasting was heavy, the orange juice too sweet. No fan in my fourth floor bedroom (it was a heatwave on my first visit at the beginning of July)

Staff courtesy, excellent mattresses and room cleaning, great location (I have been coming here regularly since the mid 2000s), great wifi connectivity. It was our choice when my late wife and I were traveling to London annually; previously I had lived at London House for nine months during my first sabbatical, back in 1987.

I went on the reviews when I booked this hotel why am I glad I did not only was it a reasonable price but we notified them that it was my husband's birthday and we was upgraded free of charge. The room we had was absolutely wonderful the staff were great the rooms was immaculate.

Only word I can say is excellent

Not a hotel..more a guest house
    • Superior Single Room

I was offered a 4th floor room up a narrow stairway with no lift. They did offer to carry my case up but I felt it unacce9taboe. They moved me to a ground floor room with a window directly onto the street. There was no air con or even a fan and as it was 26"c O ended up having an exhausting night trying to stay cool. There us no bar or resteraunt so this is a glorified guest house at best. I won't use it again as their are less fancy but lots better real hotels close by.

The room decor was 4 star. The bed was comfortable and the continetal breakfast was adequate

not During hot weather.
    • Double or Twin Room

not During hot weather. The hotel is not air-conditioned and the large windows create a conservatory. The staff tried to help as much as possible and they even upgraded me to a better room. The building is listed for preservation so there is no possibility of installing an air condition, but I recommend to the management to buy a cooler for the rooms to the hot summer days

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Great location, 9-12 mins walk from underground stations...
    • Double or Twin Room

First few days were very hot in London, and there was no A/C in the room (probably most of London is not prepared for hot weather), room was in a level underground but was not inconvenient at all. Room was ridiculously small (also probably applicable on all London rooms)

Great location, 9-12 mins walk from underground stations (Russell Square, and Kings Cross), Rooms are clean and breakfast is good.

I wouldn't mind going back as long as that nasty receptionist (Zak) isn't there
    • Double or Twin Room

It was extremely hot and we asked for a fan and wasn't provided. The night we checked in, we were given a wrong room - instead of a double room, we got cramped into a single room on the third floor being senior citizens. The receptionist (Zak Georgieu) on that night didn't even bother to assist even when requested, instead he continued sitting on his bum with no concern for clients. I still wonder why he's still working there with his rotten attitude (very angry client here)

The hotel and the final room were clean and comfortable. The receptionist (Sam Villartas) on our second morning made it his business to assist us as much as he could to an extent of putting us into a correct room (ground floor) and helped with our luggage. Very pleasant man.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Clean, good location but extremely hot inside
    • Double or Twin Room

I know that the heat has been exteme but some portable air conditioning units particularly in upper rooms is required. A fan simply isnt enough.

Excellent location particularly to get early morning Eurostar connection as St Pancras station is within walking distance. Provided with a good breakfast to take with us. Good quiet location. Clean comfortable rooms.

More than just "Good enough", it was great – combining luxury and an academic setting!
    • Double or Twin Room

We loved the combination of high comfort, even luxury; and academic intensity, which comes from its situation in University of London milieu, within a neighborhood where many great thinkers and writers once lived. The location was perfect for our purposes, which included doing research at the British Library. The staff was helpful and kind – especially Ali, who welcomed us after a long trans-Atlantic flight. We would jump at the chance to stay at Goodenough Club again and we will recommend the property to colleagues. Guests may also appreciate having breakfast among students in the aptly named Great Hall.

Good short stay

The TV didn’t work and the staff weren’t prepared to help sort the problem. The breakfast was food was average. All round a worthwhile experience in a great part of town.

Great location in London walking distance to the station and many great pubs. Spacious room and amazing dining hall for serving the breakfast.

Could be better.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was too hot and couldn't be easily cooled down even though the hotel gave us an electric fan. Having stayed twice before and enjoyed an excellent breakfast in the hotel, this time we were disappointed with poor service and a lack of choice.

The room was quiet and quite spacious. The location was excellent for what we wanted to do, and we enjoyed the use of the private gardens.

Excellent location and value for a London trip
    • Double or Twin Room

It was all good. Although note that it is between Kings Cross and Chancery Lane tubes and both a little bit of a walk without being really close to either.

Very quiet room off from the main corridor on a very quiet pleasant street. The room was modern and the bathroom spotless. The walk to breakfast through the grounds of Goodenough College was extremely pleasant. Very reasonably priced considering convenience to Euston and Central London.

The property, location and continental breakfast was very...
    • Double or Twin Room

There’s no a/c or fan and if you’re unlucky to get a room facing the back then there’s no air flowing through the windows so you’ll end up sweating in this weather. Slept 3/4 hours as it was far too hot and there was no kind of ventilation. This hotel is far far over rated and not a 4* for sure, somebody definitely did their maths wrong when it come to rating this hotel a 4*. But saying that for the price and if it were a 3* hotel then it’s probably one of the best value for money hotels in the area. I would give it a 6/10. Thanks

The property, location and continental breakfast was very good for the price. For what you’re paying it is definitely worth it. Also the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Great central location , 5 minute walk to Russel Square tube...
    • Suite

Nothing, all good.

Great central location , 5 minute walk to Russel Square tube, helpful staff, lovely rooms & competitively priced. Nice quiet location. Breakfast is very good.

Acceptable stay
    • Double or Twin Room

It's distributed in four villas, the break fast was very simple and no one served us, the restaurant was very small, no lift

Near train station, the area around is quite

Room was clean and the best I've had in London.

Was missing the ironing facilities

Room was clean and the best I've had in London. Continental breakfast had everything you could want and staff were very nice and helpful.

Great stay in London
    • Double or Twin Room

The only negative thing to say was the TV aerial needed replacing it was a bad connection.

The property was in a quiet Edwardian Square, no traffic noise, perfect.

It's a perfect spot in the heart of London, close to everything

Because the building is listed, they cannot install a lift and the stairs are narrow and steep, but staff are happy to carry your luggage up and down. Also, with the summer warmth, albeit a 'heatwave', a fan in top floor rooms would be desirable.

It is very central, near Russel Square tube, I've stayed there since the mid-2000s; set of converted listed Georgian terrace houses overlooking a locked square, to which guests can get a key against their room pass. Simply a home aay from home.

The staff were SO friendly!

The staff were SO friendly! As a first time solo traveller, being made to feel welcome was really nice. The location and the cleanliness of the Hotel was also amazing after experiencing some terrible hotels and hostels in Europe!

The position was perfect for Eurostar and London Underground.
    • Double or Twin Room

The position was perfect for Eurostar and London Underground. It was only one street away from the hustle and bustle of London was felt like being in the country.

Disapointing.. Mislead.. Misadvertised
    • Double or Twin Room

We were in an annex not main hotel was like being in a container in a back alley, was a space that could have been made more of.. No ventilation., was like staying in the staff quaters

The bed was comfortable and nice shower area

Not goodenough (pun intended)
    • Double or Twin Room

Was promised a quiet room. Got room with two glass walls. Could hear everything from neighbouring room including just talking and walking. Cannot believe this cost £280.

I am not rushing to come back

This hotel consists of 3/4 town houses attached together and it looks like a maze , you turn the wrong direction and you get lost ( not funny when you are tired). There were no signs whatsoever. No lift either - so you need to be careful while booking and also the stairs are very narrow ( I can’t image myself to bring a big luggage with me). There is not AC - so it was crazy hot, we had the windows opened all the time. The bathroom (very clean) so compact that we had no place to put our stuff. The least funny thing was - to get to breakfast room, you had to go outside - 3/4 houses further ( thanks god they served some continental breakfast in the basement ).

I need to say the bed was huge with a very comfortable mattress. The other thing which is very difficult to get in London -very quiet location ( night time complete silence). And you can have access to private garden.

great!
    • Double or Twin Room

the shower booth: the glass screen should be bigger/wider -- water splashed to the bathroom floor too easily.

location (college surrounding, both quiet and convenient) breakfast (the great hall, not the one at the hotel) cleanliness

Lovely place to stay!

Not a complaint a comment. The property does not have a lift and the single room allocated was on the third floor; however, reception staff were very helpful in assisting me with my luggage on arrival and on departure.

Location - ease of access to the tube/railway links, a local park, and shops. Very comfortable accommodation and high standard of cleanliness. Stayed three nights. Hope to visit again for a longer stay.

We thorough enjoyed our stay and the hotel was everything we expected of a good 4* hotel in London

I was quite happy witih the hotel generally

The best thing about this hotel is its location and the delicious breakfasts especially the brunch at the weekends

Clean and spacious accommodation on a quiet street, close to Kings Cross station
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was much simpler then it seemed on the website. They didn't even have kleenex. Staff was not friendly or very helpful. A bit confusing as to where to go for the breakfast that was included with our room rate.

Location convenient to Kings Cross/St. Pancras station. Pretty area, quiet street. Good breakfast.

Really comfortable, well cared for and it has a lot of interesting history in its own right.
    • Double or Twin Room

Would have loved a microwave in the communal area, but otherwise everything you needed.

Very comfortable and clean. Staff very helpful and worked out all the buses we needed to visit Kew Gardens, which we did and it was so easy, thanks to the lovely chap on Reception. Kew wonderful too.

A brilliant London bolt hole!

A real gem of a place to stay. Clean, excellent facilities - beautiful bathroom and comfy bed - and lovely staff. Superb breakfast in the Great Hall. A get place to stay in London - I can't rate highly enough. It was ideal for me - a single woman staying one night after attending a music festival in Finsbury Park. Within easy walking distance of both King's Cross and St Pancras International stations and the tube. I will definitely be staying here again.

Forgettable
    • Double or Twin Room

1. Bad location -- 15 minute walk to Russell Square tube station --> 30 RT walk 2. Breakfasts -- an abomination -- baked beans, canned juice; fried eggs prepared 7 hrs earlier; powdered, runny "scrambled"? eggs; weak coffee. 3. Staff knocks on door to clean room at 7:45 AM 4. No AC 5. May be "typically British", but for the price, one could do much better in a standard hotel.

Not much.

It's my favourite hotel in London for work.
    • Double or Twin Room

distance between desk and bed was way too narrow: hard to sit down and work (room 521)

Lightness and cleanliness of the room, hallway, and foyer; very helpful staff at desk; quietness ; food perfectly adequate and plentiful--pleasant place to sit (Freddie's)

Excellent service in quiet, comfortable and airy room.
    • Superior Single Room

The staff were lovely and went out of their way to help me - I had requested a quiet room and my room was very quiet and private. They provided me with iron and board which I could keep for my whole stay. The room was bright and comfortable.

Great location..nice hotel..we will most likely return.
    • Double or Twin Room

No lift but on the plus side reception staff offered to take our luggage up..so ok really.

Good size of room. Great location. Breakfast in the Great hall.

Lovely to be back on Mecklenburgs Square.

Bathroom was very, very small. It could use at least a shelf to put toiletries and a towel bar to hang up hand laundry.

Large room, good lighting, comfortable bed, thick towels, rainfall shower. Did not mind going across to London House for breakfast as we had beautiful weather (in bad weather I might opt for the continental breakfast on site).

Superb hotel in a handy central location with great staff

It was a wonderfully hot May Bank Hol and air con would have been great, but we knew it was not available and the building does not really lend itself to it. The windows caught the breeze!

The staff are magnificent and go the extra mile to be helpful and welcoming. We arrived early for our 4 rooms booking and they took the trouble to allocate rooms so we could settle in right away. There is no lift so my father was accomodated on the ground floor. The gardens are a delight and the College Main Hall and Freddies Bar really good quality and value. We walked from Euston in 10 mins or so.

Very quiet location.

Very quiet location. Comfy rooms and wonderful garden. I also like that the bathrooms have been remodeled as it is in an old building. Similarly its vital for it to be clean but not smell like cleaner and chemicals. So it was clean but very neutral smelling. All in all it was a great spot and I would return.

It was central to everything we wanted

Staff not interested we were on ground floor with a blind that did not close properly and a street light shining in our faces all night

It was central to everything we wanted

I like this place very much - bed is comfortable,...
    • Superior Single Room

While doing yoga in the room, on the floor, I noticed some dust & the like on the carpet

I like this place very much - bed is comfortable, continental breakfast is very good.

Academically enjoyable

Once the TV was on I couldnt turn it off other than by unplugging it - remote didnt work

Love the breakfast in the Great Hall. Comfortable bed and very quiet for the centre of the city

Nice Big rooms.

The overall arrangement of the building is a bit strange, as you have to go out to go to the reception or the breakfast, but this is not really something bad, more like a bit strange. The breakfast is fine but nothing exceptional, 6:30 is slightly late, and the British breakfast is only available from 7:30.

Nice Big rooms. Good location close to King's Cross. The street is very quiet and the square nice and lovely. The room was very clean and the price very decent for the location.

Ok but won’t go back
    • Double or Twin Room

Bath was too small with fixed shower screen and difficult to work water. Basement room as they are only ones with bath but was a lot of noise from people above.

Spacious room

Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely book again

Everything was perfect

Convenient location but very peaceful. Great service, swift check in, friendly staff, comfy bed, good breakfast. Highly recommended

I have stayed here a number of times already, because the...
    • Family Room

This time, the English breakfast organized at London Hall for the hotel was not optimal for 2 of the 3 days of may stay. (Malfunctioning toaster on day 1, manfunctioning coffee machine on day 1 and 2), but it was fixed on day 3. I find the hotel a bit expensive, but I know this is London.

I have stayed here a number of times already, because the hotel is so close to Russell Square and Kings Cross/St. Pancrass, because the hotel is located in a series of old residences houses, and because I have always been satisfied with the rooms and the staff. A perfect place to stay for holiday and university business.

A little gem of a hotel
    • Superior Single Room

Breakfast was OK but buffet hot food could have been hotter. Bacon was a bit dried up/greasy and scrambled eggs over cooked.

Excellent location, comfortable bed, spotlessly clean and loved the great hall where breakfast was served.

Great towels, great bed, though small the bathroom was very...

Bathroom very small, tired furniture, not very luxurious, very thin walls, breakfast not very good quality (cantine food).

Great towels, great bed, though small the bathroom was very modern

Brilliant.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing to complain about at all. Some people might find it annoying to have to walk across to the college for breakfast but as the weather was fine, this was not a problem.

As it was a quiet day for them I was upgraded to a suite. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming.

Very good hotel, very good price, but a little disappointed by the breakfast

We have tried both breakfast, the one at the college and the one at the hotel. Original to take a breakfast at a college, unfortunately, the full english breakfast was cold and the coffee very poor. The hotel breakfast room is very small only 3 tables for 2 persons ! not convenient.

The location and the staff are very friendly. Bedroom was very clean with complimentary tea, coffee and water.

Decent but perhaps not as pleasant as other stays though stff were efficient and nice.

I was too short of time to make it to the full English breakfast (a shame) and the continental breakfast room was a bit crowded. Also I could not get the shower hot enough in my mews room. But still good compared to other London hotels in the same price range. JH

I have stayed in the Goodenough club several times and recommended it for it quietness combined with great location.

Great location, Good staff, Cracking room in a quiet area.

Our only gripe was the breakfast was not hot. We had breakfast in the 'Great Hall' which was in the uni aspect of the good enough club located 50 yards away. It was easy to find, just hard to navigate inside as you need additional swipe cards. You can navigate through external doors but this is not clear at all.

Everything accommodation wise was great, we stayed in the suite and it was lovely. Staff were helpful. The in room Cafetière was a nice touch, just could've done with some more coffee. An eye pleasing view over the park with the rare Green Parrots flying about.

Nice hotel let down by breakfast
    • Double or Twin Room

Not 4 star hotel breakfast. Great Hall nice to see but had to put up with student quality breakfast

Very comfy bed high quality bed linen. Bathroom modern nice towels

Relaxing , luxury , friendly , safe , stunning

The room which we had was beyond our expectations , stunning location , super friendly and helpful staff , we shall always stay at this hotel when we stop in London

Beautiful building and close to Kings Cross

Noise from rooms above and across the landing, the sound proofing is so poor I could hear conversations, trips to the toilet and use of the bathroom as well as TV sound

Beautiful building and close to Kings Cross

Excellent for a mature couple but you have to be fit and able to climb four staircases.
    • Double or Twin Room

Peaceful square from the fourth floor room and little traffic noise. Beautiful view of the gardens and enjoyed the Goodenough College dining room with lovely wooden tables and chairs. Breakfast was very good quality.

Having stayed in Goodenough Club and Goodenough House, GH is far, far better value for money than GC
    • Double or Twin Room

Mews rooms are in the basement so quite dark. Also lacking any sitting area in the room beyond the bed.

Bed very comfortable. Superb location, so quiet and cozy it’s hard to believe you are in central London.

Convenient location , clean but no extras

Breakfasr seved in building across the square. Breakfast adequate but industrial. Window could not close but had to be propped up with coat hanger. Windy narrow staircase

Good location. Clean room.

I stayed at this place for a night during the trip of my...
    • Double or Twin Room

I stayed at this place for a night during the trip of my moving from Chicago to London. I got three huge suitcases and one of them is 70 lbs. The front desk staff were super friendly and kind. They helped me moving suitcases, and left me the only room on the first floor for my convenience. I never comment any hotels on booking.com but I would like to endorse this one. Also, the room has a decent size with cozy bed and everything. The breakfast is on-site in another building, 2 minutes walk, with many choices like yogurt, fruits, sausages, and beverages/coffees. Highly recommended~!

Good place if coming by Eurostar.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast could have been a bit better and a dedicated heating system in the bathroom would have been appreciated.

Quiet area easy to reach by walk from St Pancras.

I like this special hotel, and specially the breakfast room
    • Superior Single Room

This time I got a small room on the third floor. Narrow stairs and no elevator made it difficult for and old man to get in and out.

I like this special hotel, and specially the breakfast room

Clean and fresh room, excellent shower bath.
    • Double or Twin Room

Clean and fresh room, excellent shower bath. The English breakfast at the college was excellent and in very special atmosphere. The staff at reception was very helpful.

An excellent one-night stay!
    • Superior Single Room

Better room temperature control would have been appreciated.

The room was very comfortable and the breakfast was great, with plenty of vegetarian options.

Recommended
    • Double or Twin Room

Felt the accommodation was a little over-priced, but that's London at the weekend.

Excellent location, quiet room and great atmosphere in the refectory across the road.

Really effective and very nice staff ;
    • Double or Twin Room

Really effective and very nice staff ; we were stuck in London due to the snow, and they made every effort to help us. Very pleasant environment and atmosphere. I recommend strongly!

Fantastic location for a four star classic university-town style stay
    • Double or Twin Room

The pillows and bed were quite firm— too much so. It’s a only a little issue on a background of a great stay otherwise but I did wake up a few times when I didn’t expect to.

Lovely classic feel to the accommodation and also the the college itself for the breakfast the next morning, loved the feel of being back at my Ivy League Uni at the Great Hall. Beautiful view of the park, fantastic location.

Charming atmosphere and silent but not very comfortable.

Old house without elevator and a lot of steps in smal stairs.

Very english feeling. Breakfast on the college, one of the days in the great hall. Charming atmosphere. Very silent in the night.

Really good place to stay in London - safe, quiet, clean and friendly
    • Superior Single Room

stairs to top floor, no shower cap in bathroom .

Location, cleanliness, quiet room, nice helpful people on reception, wi fi, near Kings X, near some good eateries.

Pleaseant but frustrating having to walk to breakfast
    • Double or Twin Room

Had a short walk to get breakfast which was annoying. Room next to main stair case. Reception been painted whilst there. Paint on my jeans grrr

Beds was comfy. Breakfast was tasty

Great location, very quiet and safe, 5 minute walk toRussel...
    • Suite

Great location, very quiet and safe, 5 minute walk toRussel Square tube & shops at Bloomsbury centre. Suite was a very good size, plenty of space, good quality furnishings and nice bathroom. The college campus, part of the hotel is lovely and breakfast in the great hall was good as was drinks/pizzas in Freddie's bar.