Reviews of Gorse Hill 4 stars

Hook Heath Road, Woking, GU22 0QH, United Kingdom

#9 of 15 hotels in Woking

The roller blind had fallen off and the extractor fan was ridiculously loud. Your own staff have told you this but you have still chosen not to act. Disappointing!! Listen to your staff

Nice grounds, good staff.

Our room (39) was a total let down. The double bed was against the wall and as I am 70 to only the way to get to my side of the bed was to climb in and slide across!! The room was really tired and required a complete refit.

The only redeemable factor for the rating was the assistance the receptionist tried to provide. The hotel from the outside certainly was grand.

The rooms are extreemly tired and it is like two different hotels from the reception to the bedrooms. The walls of the room were stained with leaking water, the bathroom was tired and there were towels dangling from the tree and gutter outside my bathroom, which had been there for a while!

The staff were very friendly and the location was very peaceful, this could be a lovely hotel if they spent money on it. The reception area and bar were great.

• Standard Twin Room

I had to travel down the car as Google said there was no public transport in the area. If you want remote it's great though. Not sure if that counts as a negative.

There was plenty of parking. There was a wedding every night but we didn't hear any of it from our room. We did worry that would be a problem as it was very loud when we arrived. The breakfast was nice and our room was bigger than we expected, still compact but not too much.

The bedroom was located in a separated dependance far from the reception. Bedroom very old fashioned, no air condition even if it was not mentioned in the room services, and not appropriated for a 4 stars hotel. Staff was nice and ready to help.

The entrance hall was dirty, the grand foyer was filthy (crisps and such things everywhere) and the room had mold in it and was a bit grimy. These things didn't make a great first impression. Given the price I expected more.

Restaurant dinner prices wasn't clear but the food was excellent .

Food was great but the room was small for a double bed room. Nice garden and friendly staff.

Rooms, need upgrading. Bathroom facilities need upgrading. Felt like an officer mess, military room

Great bar and food, the money has been spent on these areas. Staff were great

The restaurant was closed at short notice, the room was small and poorly furnished, the telephone system did not work, the basin plug leaked, the room was dim, there was no draught bitter in the bar and the standard of cleanliness was very poor. Overall it was extremely poor value for money. It is primarily a conference/event hotel, not for casual stays. Although in a very nice setting in places it gave the impression of being "down at heel"

The staff in general were very friendly

• Standard Twin Room

We stayed in The Lodge at the end of the drive. Carpet leading upstairs was very old and dirty. Rooms were dated and need updating.

Tranquil location with beautiful well kept gardens. Comfy Beds. Breakfast was very good. Tea and Coffee facilities in the room. Bottled Water would have been a bonus. Brook wood train station is close by, train journey into London 25 minutes. Just perfect. Overall a lovely weekend visiting family. We will return!

Good location. Our room was in lodge within the grounds which was good there was a wedding on for both days of our stay, so we were away from noise. However Lodge rooms could definitely do with a re-furb. But generally quite clean

I asked for an early check in but no reply. Guy on reception was not helpful when asked about this.

Location to destination. Very friendly and helpful bar staff.

The room we stayed in was in the lodge. It was fine but not oversized and if it was raining it was a little walk to the main building.

The most friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful gardens. Good size bar area. Food was to a very high standard

• Deluxe Double Room

Our deluxe room was very small , on 1st floor , it had balcony but not useable as very wet ....plus my evening meal , curry, was bland taste and service not efficient but they did have a private function on at that same time

Liked hotel location very quiet large gardens and good lounge area

Tiny bedroom with barely room to walk around the bed. Incredibly expensive as not charged wedding guest rate. Enquired about a reduction in price prior to staying and told no then at checkin told it could have been sorted but too late now.

Was staying for a family wedding and the hotel did a grest job of managing the event. Very beautiful gardens snd in a very quiet location. Good parking.

Run down rooms not cleaned well thick with dust in the first room I was offered and 2nd room was a bit better but clearly needs an overhaul as it was great and few years ago but travel lodge are cleaner and better maintained rooms.

Great staff but they were running around as clearly over working.

• Standard Twin Room

We only found a few members of staff helpful. I feel their wasn't enough staff in restaurant for breakfast, and only one staff member who we found was not very hospitable. we stayed in 1 room on first night to then have to check out by 11am and then later book back into another room for our 2 night???

Beautiful surroundings, food excellent, idyllic setting for Wedding's

• Classic Single Room

The general manager despite not knowing how to make an American martini, was willing to learn and let me teach him. Also, the breakfast chef was happy to make me poached eggs on toast. Excellent!

The room was in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was utilitarian and was better suited to a 1950's institution. Considering the nightly charge the room was well below standard.

• Deluxe Double Room

We never knew until we were on our way there that the restaurant and bar were closed for a wedding. Room was very small and shower temperature preset.

Location was lovely,bed comfortable and breakfast good

Staff could be more attentive, had to go in search of bubbly for the speeches as our table was missed out. Bar staff in particular were pretty miserable, didn't seem to want to be there. Room was a little dated, very interesting shower that was far too low for me.

Attended for a wedding - lovely house and a great day, food for the wedding breakfast was delicious. Unfortunately rained a fair bit so didn't get a chance to wander around the grounds, in a good location in the Surrey countryside but probably not the kind of place I'd choose if just going away for a weekend.

Breakfast was extremely poor, to be fair we complained and got our money back and staff explained they’d made a mistake with how many people were having breakfast. There wasn’t enough eggs and you couldn’t have a full English as expected as items were missing at different times. It did spoil the experience as we always look foreword to breakfast, we appreciated the refund but left a little deflated. There was also a fusty smell in the bedroom and the fan, although low, hummed all night in the bathroom.

The building was lovely, excellent bar and overall feel was comfortable, the bed was comfortable and room was clean.

The room was a little tired and could have done with a bit of a makeover. The view from our ground floor room was a fence wirh a footpath behind it. Well equipped gym for it's size. Breakfast was a bit disappointing as the kitchen apparently ran out of eggs! Other items were not replenished quickly.

Cheap and convenient hotel which fitted our needs for an overnight stay before attending a funeral the next morning.

Stayed here before and had a excellent room, this time was placed in a coaching house at the end of the drive, and there was holes in the bed throw, also the shower very tired and the curtain was clingy, so the water poured onto the floor, so you had to mop up or you would have broke your neck, sad all round considering I paid more for this stay than the previous one - due to return on the 31st of May for 1 night with relatives, I have requested not to be in the coaching house, hope this stay turns out to be better.

Breakfast was nice

• Classic Single Room

I found it difficult to carry my luggage up the two flights of stairs to my room. But I didn't say when I booked the room that I am almost 80! The day had been extremely warm and the windows could not be opened wide.

Staff were charming, especially when I called in to say I was lost! The room decor was good; shower area excellent. Bed extremely comfortable.

Can't think of anything.

The shower was excellent, very good flow. I was only staying for one night but I had everything I needed. Comfortable bed. Facilities for tea and coffee in the room. I also used the fitness room which is very well equipped. The buffet breakfast was great, especially the coffee - I had a whole cafetiere to myself! The staff were polite, friendly and efficient without exception. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

The price of drinks in the bar meant that we missed out on the opportunity to sit with a drink in the evening. There was a slightly unpleasant smell on entering our room: I thought it smelled like someone had been smoking in there. Breakfast was OK but the dishes weren't topped up in time. We had to wait over 5 minutes for bacon, after already putting other food on our plate. Also, the individual serving dishes had separate lids on them which made it quite fiddly and awkward to serve the food. You had to remove a lid, find a space to place it, take the food, replace the lid and repeat for each breakfast item.

The hotel looked good and was very clean and comfortable with plenty of seating in the lounge area. There was also a terrace and nice gardens outside. The location and setting were calm and peaceful. It was very quiet and the curtains were thick enough to keep out the early morning light - always a bonus. It was good value for money and I'd definitely stay there again, if the price was right.

We had booked superior double rooms but on arrival were told that these two rooms were right over where the disco was being held for the wedding that was taking place that day. We were given the choice to change rooms which we did but still paid the price of the higher spec. rooms. It would have been nice if someone had informed us about the rooms when we booked so that we could have decided what rooms to go for. That aside we would stay there again.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The grounds were lovely to sit in and have a drink on such a warm day.

TV reception was poor and room was noisy as guests came back and forth. Check in was OK

Great location. Main house was lovely. The room block I was staying in could do with updating but it was clean and warm

The shower wasn't high enough and at 5'7 I'm not overly tall but found I still had to duck down to wash my hair. The windows to bathroom were not frosted and over looked the courtyard which meant the blinds had to be closed to gain any privacy when in the bathroom.

The main building is beautiful and the staff were very friendly.

The hot breakfast food had obviously been standing, so was only just warm. There was no one in the breakfast room to address this problem, so we left without saying anything. It doesn’t say on Booking.com that’s it is a buffet breakfast so not freshly cooked. The fried eggs were just on an uncovered plate

We stayed in a standard room Bedroom comfortable Extra blanket appreciated. Very clean Extra milk provided when asked

• Classic Single Room

Lovely hotel. Arrived very late at night and the woman on reception was very welcoming and helped carry my bags out to where I was staying. I was in a room as part of a separate block which was a walk away from reception. The location was beautiful, and I had a walk around the grounds after breakfast. The breakfast was delicious. I was really impressed with the choices on offer, cooked and continental, fruits and cheese. I especially liked the raspberry and greek yoghurt smoothie and there was also a fresh green juice available. The room was perfect for me, a single room with an ensuite bathroom, the bed looked very small but it was fine and comfortable. There was an extra pillow in the wardrobe which was useful. All of the staff were very friendly from both women on reception (in the evening and the next morning), to the man collecting the leaves outside and the breakfast staff. Service with a warm smile is always appreciated when you're tired from work and it felt like all of the staff were on the same page with a lovely attitude. It was the little details that I noticed they took care of and I will definitely be back. The hotel is very stylish also and it was very pleasant to sit and relax there while waiting for a taxi. Many thanks to all of the staff.

We were disappointed there was no restaurant available when we arrived on the Sunday evening. However the bar food was excellent.

The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was exceptionally well cooked.

• Classic Single Room

There was not really anything to dislike. There is building work going on in the grounds which detracts from the view but other than that everything was fine.

The location is quiet and the Hotel is good value for money.

Arrived early hours of the morning, welcomed by staff and managed to have a drink , even though bar was closed. Beautiful setting, comfy bed. Great choice of food at breakfast. Staff attentive. Very good shower.

• Deluxe Double Room

The property was very comfortable and clean - we had a room in the main Manor House, the grounds were lovely to sit in and have a drink. The breakfast and service in the main dining was good. Good location in a rural setting but still close to Guildford and Heathrow- we enjoyed our stay!

• Deluxe Double Room

Despite drawing attention to our special celebration , we were a little surprised no one mentioned it throughout our stay . We were told via email that we could order food from the bar despite the venue being booked fir a wedding but was told on arrival that the bar was closed to us.

It was our wedding venue 15 years ago and it was a lovely day . We came back for this special celebration

Breakfast is a buffet and would prefer cooked to order, would imagine same number of staff working to accommodate this

Comfortable and well maintained, has a feel of a more up market hotel but at a really good price

• Deluxe Double Room

Lost my booking and had to wait a while for my room, it was fairly late at night when I arrived. The lady ok reception was good but did not have a quick resolution

Location and room

The member of staff on reception called us at 11am in the fit ! Quiote Please come to reception straight away for checkout ! Not happy at all as I was unloading the luggage to our car

The accommodation and the environment first clasd

The bedroom was dated and far from the main hotel, the pump could be heard constantly, it was so loud. Guests should not be placed in room 44 at all and the rest of the hotel needs to be updated the same as the main house. The breakfast was beyond disappointing, we immediately regretted eating Luke warm serve yourself dry bacon and sausage. Really wished I had not booked the breakfast at all and eaten in a local restaurant instead.

Most of the staff were friendly and the room service food was great

I didn't Like waking up and checking out. Why can't I live there :-(

Very elegant and well presented modern take with out features kept. Clean, tidy and tasteful. Jake gave my son an Easter egg that he had. I can't Thank him and everyone there enough for a night to remember. You will see me there again....and again... And....

The first room we were given was dirty, dingy and awkward. It was away from the main building right on the main road. After complaining they asked me to pay 20 gbp/night to upgrade to a room in the main building. The room they gave us was better but still bad with a stained bath. Dirty shower curtain, stained toilet, stained carpet and filthy curtains. It’s a real shame that such a beautiful building In Surrey countryside should be so disappointing. Never again.

The bar and restaurant were ok

Room was discraceful. Sink and toilets blocked. Hand prints on head board, carpet smells and all our luggage now does too. Windows don’t open so stagnant air. Reported issue at reception and guy just agreed they need updating!!

Dining and bar

The breakfast is seriously overpriced - especially as my first morning there wasn't much available. You need better quality sausages if you're charging about £15 per breakfast. I booked my breakfasts in Check-In and they offered it about £10 per day (even that's a lot to me). Freeview television never had information available so I never knew what was on TV and basically just left it on Film4. Floorboards noisy. When I woke up at half 6 each morning I had to tiptoe around a couple parts of my room.

The man at the bar gave me some ice when I hurt my hand off-site. The buildings are lovely & peaceful. Rooms are much more spacious than I thought they would be. I only booked a standard double but it had a massive bathroom with bath, shower, large mirror & toiletries. So many parking spaces! Good internet speed and mobile signal is good. You have blackout curtains if you like to sleep in complete darkness, or there's a blind if you like a bit of light coming in in the mornings. Tchibo coffee sachets in your room, and Twinings tea! Room service available, laundry service available. Free gym if you want to use it.

• Classic Single Room

Inhuman insensitive staff one of which lied to my face when I was extremely upset and in grieving process. Asked Marius the manager to send me details of his superior which I never received. I told staff at check in I probably need to extent my stay and would that be ok. Should we do it now or would tomorrow be ok. Staff member said it was no problem to do it the next day as they were not busy. When I called the next day to extend i spoke to Marius who said they were fully booked and it was not possible for me to stay another night. He was extremely rude and almost shouting at me when I explain what had happened and that I felt if his staff gave wrong information he should try to sort out this problem for me. I also explained the very sensitive nature of my trip. I told him I had been in hospital with my mother who was in the process of dying and that is why I needed to extend my stay. There was no change in his attitude and no sympathy given. Just said that they were full and he couldn’t help me. This man is no professional and lacks basic human morals and principles. I had to leave my mum to rush back and collect my belongings and when I confronted Staff member who checked me in he then pretended he couldn’t remember the conversation we had the day before in front of his manager . What kind of people work here!

• Deluxe Double Room

Tiled floor and a high ceiling with a single towel radiator will never sufficiently heat the sized bathroom we had on a cold night!

Lovely location and building

• Standard Twin Room

Dreadful plumbing in the room. The shower was the hand-held attachment on the bath tap which amounted to little more than a dribble. Absolutely no soundproofing in the room to the point that we could identify the sound of the loo roll being taken from the holder by the occupants of the room above along with relevant toilet noises. Woken up by the water being turned on in the room above. One light wasn’t working and a lamp flickered and buzzed so we turned that one off. Thankfully we were only there for one night. All concerns were reported. The receptionist acknowledged that the rooms needed some work but no apology was offered.

Convenient location. Lovely grounds. Spacious communal lounge.

Cute little room however The room was freezing cold & the carpets were really dirty. Had to put the radiator on full & use the plug in heater to try warm up. The plug in the bath wouldn’t open so had to leave dirty water for hours trying to drain it. The shower flooded the bathroom the next morning. Says you have a lot of choice on the tv with sky channels to but barely anything worked at all. 3 Spiders under the duvet cover which was absolutely horrible. it’s soooooooo noisy there any movement from upstairs at all & it wakes you up. Really bad nights sleep. Wouldn’t return.

Looks pretty from the outside especially when it was snowing. Staff were friendly enough when we checked in. Curtains in the room are really good if you fancy a sleep in. They keep the room really dark.

Didn't like being put in gatehouse for 1st night. Shocked to see tennis court used as car park Tea/coffee facilities in room poor. Not enough choice. Bar staff not in attendance a lot if the time but plenty of assistance when required. Difficulties in paying for bar food at lunchtime.

Friendly staff Good breakfasts Clean

Very clean and cosy room. Staff are amazing and so helpful. Breakfast was awesome for variety and availability. Will be going back again for another stay when the weather improves to check out the garden :)

Stains in bed duvet Frankly. Quite disgusting Manager rude and hostile. Reception staff incompetent Maintenance guy old & useless. Dining staff a disgrace I checked out Received some compensation

First room was v cold and smelt of damp so moved to another Second room was on the cold side Bathroom towel heater was not working therefore bathroom was cold Bar did not have draught bitter and was closed by 11:30 on a Saturday night Better selection of breads needed for breakfast rather than just white toast bread also offer danish Boiled mushrooms are never a good thing

• Deluxe Double Room

Noisey bedroom. Musty smell in room with staff leaving window open to eleviate. Toaster takes for ever. Crockery plates too for toast. Price of bar drinks too much in comparison to other hotels

• Deluxe Double Room

The bed was far too hard, the floorboards creaked, the bath was well overdue for a replacement, the extractor fan did not work in the bathroom and the shower couldn't be set to a comfortable temperature... either too hot or too cold. Also extremely disappointed that we were only able to order bar / room service food at dinner. The store bought burgers and fried squid were terrible not to mention the excessively high price for the bar menu. On a friday night, you'd expect that the restaurant would have a full menu but their excuse was there weren't enough guests... this is not my problem if i'm honest. I wouldn't happily paid double for a decent meal rather than being served the utter rubbish we were.

The welcome by the staff and the initial impression on the location / hotel.

Bed was too firm. No restaurant menu only room service and poor quality for the price. Poorly maintained bath tub. Needs upgrading!

Lovely setting and friendly staff

Nothing to complain about.

Good value for money. Lovely building, a kettle in the room, nice view from the window. The staff promptly satisfied our request for an additional heater as it was quite chilly outside!

• Standard Twin Room

Room a bit noisy from the plumbing and and occupants in other rooms. No info given at check in e.g. where the breakfast room was etc

Good value, nice breakfast.

£5 charge for room service was not made clear on the menu nor on the hotel info sheet. The crappy veggi burger I had for my dinner because the drive was too icy to get my van out to go to a decent restaurant cost me £17.50. When I challenged this, the guy on duty was seriously rude and unhelpful. Also, the bathroom not clean

Restaurant was disjointed and undermanned. Bedroom was cold even with good heating, bathroom freezing and very noisey

Bar was improved, staff were good

• Standard Twin Room

Was in the lodge so was away from main building, facilities were not explained on check in , and I was left feeling that i was being shoved out of the way. Stairs up to room very steep and tight hard to manage with case, laptop and bag!!. Room was cold

Breakfast was good and the breakfast staff friendly maybe the reception staff should look at this.

• Classic Single Room

The grounds have major building works for a conference centre being built, ruined the whole character,woken up by builders, breakfast not good, met with uninterested response. Shame .

• Standard Twin Room

Bathroom lovely with a large bath, was a little tatty.. ie:grouting in the tiles.. The bathroom roller blind was grubby. The people above our room in the lodge were very heavy footed.

Beds were very comfortable.. Nice large room...

• Classic Single Room

I was situated in the Lodge (at the entrance to the drive). My stay was in February, and the floor in the bathroom was as cold as the pavement outside. The Bed was comfortable, but was on castors (and not attached to the headboard on the wall). So if you fancy sitting in bed watching TV, expect a short journey as the bed slides away from you.

I liked the room in the lodge, and will happily book & stay again. Nice Furniture and a fair size, even for a single room (with single bed)

• Standard Twin Room

Pictures of main house look great but room was in another building over the courtyard. The décor was tired and did not feel particularly clean, this was mirrored in the room. Pillows were also incredibly uncomfortable. I accept that the price was good but the facilities were a let down and I would not use again on that basis.

Good value.

• Deluxe Double Room

Poor service, I had to wait over an hour for room service. Food was very basic. Bedding and pillows were poor quality. Staff could have been more helpful.

Beautiful property. Very small but nice room.

• Classic Single Room

they could put a light switch by the bed for the main room light. the bar is not 24 hours, (although not sure if you can order to your room).

the bed was very comfortable. would prefer black out curtains but to be fair not much light got in.

• Deluxe Double Room

The bed was very small seen as it was ment to be a deluxe double room. it was smaller than a standard double which ment we had a restless nights sleep. can't fault anything else!

The cheap duvet and pillows were the only thing that let the experience down. I still felt it was great value for money though and would stay again. If the beds were better, I'd be likely to recommend to friends and family though.

Beautiful building and the staff were all very accommodating.

• Classic Single Room

Didn’t get asked about my stay when leaving, I assume this happens to me because I look so young. Still. Bathroom could have been cleaner, shower was dirty and underside of toilet seat had urine on it. Also my towel was was dirty

Bed comfy. Location. Price.

Tired in places, simple decorating would make a vast improvement

Good value and very good breakfast for the price. Spacious rooms with good quality furnishings.

• Deluxe Double Room

A little noisy due to a party but fun noise rather than roudy noise.

Convenient for visiting friends. Ticked all the required boxes. Thanks. Will come again.

To be honest not a lot to fault

We really liked the clean warm and cosy room we were given and also the bathroom was likewise warm and clean with a spotlessly clean bath, hot water in the bathroom with a strong flow and piping hot, perfect for a relaxing getaway in the countryside

Not enough space in the room. One side of bed against the room wall meaning only one bedside unit. Had to move the one bedside unit next to television so I could pull the bed away from the wall. If I hadn’t have done that I would not have been able to get in and out of bed without disturbing my wife and as a result we had no bedside units. You could say that the room was “cosy”.

Very small room, small double bed. Only one pretty lifeless pillow per person on the bed. No mini bar. Very dated and tired rooms. Lacked communication between staff

Main hotel and bar were nice