Reviews of Grainger Hotel 3 stars

1-3 Graingerville North, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6UJ, United Kingdom

#64 of 76 hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne

• Standard Single Room

There was nothing I didn't like it was a very enjoyable comfortable stay.

I arrived very late into the nite to check in and there was a 24 hour desk where the staff were very welcoming and accommodating. This is the place to stay and I will definitely stay again..it is clean warm comfortable and the friendly polite staff make it an enjoyable experience. It's not far from the royal Victoria infirmary which for me is what I needed due to a family member being in hospital so that was a bonus for me.

• Double Room En-Suite

Not good value for money. We went when Ed Sheeran was playing so all hotels were more expensive however we paid £350 for two nights which is very overpriced for this hotel. Room and bathroom is very small.

Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Hotel is a good location only 20 minutes walk into the city centre.

• Quad Room

Room had broken blinds, couldn't open the windows, quite dusty, wripped wallpaper

Staff where really helpful and friendly, especially when needing cabs and directions. Beds where comfortable and room had plenty of space for 4 girls to get ready in :)

The rooms were slightly smaller than I expected but this didn’t hinder the experience at all.

The staff were friendly and helpful, everything was clean a tidy as you would expect, would certainly stay again. The bathroom as very modern with great facilities.

• Twin Room En-Suite

The room was dark and dingy, the bathroom was not clean at all, check in stated from 2pm but we where not allowed to check in until 3.15 due to the room not being ready, staff where rude

• Single Room En-Suite

Was absalouty awful £115 for them to tell me they only had a single bed The toilet jesus it would if been more safer to pee in the road The cleaner just walked in mid getting changed no knock or out The room had a bag full of rubbish in the bin The breakfast 😂😂😂 £5 each for a bowl of weetabix

• Twin Room En-Suite

Check in was from 14:00 onwards yet when we arrived at 15:10 our room wasn’t ready for us. After a short wait we got into our room and it was unclean. There was a loose rock solid biscuit left in one of the dresser drawers, who knows how long it had been lying there loose. The place was very dusty, see photos! Lighting was very poor, a dark dull room. The towels we were given were stained green and pink. There was only one double plug socket in the room, to which the kettle and tv were plugged into. So to charge a phone or use a hairdryer etc had to put the tv off etc. Really not ideal thank god we were there one night only. Parking was expensive also at £5 a night, I expected if I’ve paid for a hotel room there should be a parking space for me. Thankfully we were given that complimentary as I think the hotel staff could tell by our faces that we weren’t impressed by the place!

The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Twin Room En-Suite

Was a little further out of the main town centre area than I would have liked and the fire alarm going off at 11.50pm was not great either!

The rooms are quite well decorated and seem quite modern. The refreshments in the room were plentiful too.

Smallest double room I've ever been in, tiny tiny bathroom, very stuffy, very poor sound proofing, no english breakfast (Halal), charged for parking,

Grainger is an interesting place, near enough for taxis to centre, ROSE restaurant opposite was good value, clean room

• Standard Single Room

Bathroom door wouldn't shut properly. Light in bathroom not always working and when it did work it took up-to 10 seconds of waiting before coming on.

Friendly and helpful staff.

• Double Room En-Suite

We paid £125 each for one night for a bed that wasn't comfy, no wifi, no breakfast included, the shower didn't work, the smallest room I've ever stayed in, a tv that didn't work and I forgot a rugby ball which I bought from the rugby for my little cousin, it was an England one but I forgot it and left it in the lobby and they refused to send it to me, it was a horrendous stay I wouldn't recommend infact id recommend to avoid this hotel

The area was close to st James park and town which was good for us as we where there for the magic weekend

• Single Room En-Suite

Check in took a little longer than expected, but was no biggie. Bathroom lighting was a bit rubbish. Window looked into the car park. Location isn't exactly picturesque, but you can walk into town in 15 minutes.

Didn't experience any of the horror stories I'd read in other reviews - it was clean, quiet and comfortable, and the staff were polite, friendly and helpful. Booked at the last-minute for a wedding I was going to and it was exactly what I was looking for.

• Quad Room

Electronic Door lock didn’t work. Toilet cistern broken and ran 24hrs. Room 5 was on ground floor and had skip with old mattresses outside the window. The bed closest to this you couldn’t sleep in as there is bright lights outside that window and the blinds were inadequate in my opinion. The receptionist on arrival had the worst body odour you’ve ever smelt. It lingered through the whole reception and lower level. In need of a shower and some lynx.

Rooms were done up to look modern

• Single Room En-Suite

No fridge in room or TV remote. Toilet squeezed into a small gap of the bathroom.

The location is perfect for everything I needed and close to where I was going. The hotel looked nice and clean also.

• Double Room En-Suite

Cheap but still not good value for money. Darkly lot corridors and rooms. Room was too small without any cupboard. Just on the busy road could not get good sleep because of traffic noise

Cheap

• Standard Single Room

A bit far from centre although within walking distance and on three bus routes

Room clean and bed comfortable. Shower worked. No noise or disturbance so had a good night's sleep

Walls are thin. Woken up by the room next door. No bar. I needn't an iron in the morning and there were none to be seen. Eventually the manager called round to other hotels to bring one over. Disappointing as my morning before my job interview was ruined. There was dog poo at the entrance on thr day ibarrived and still there when I left.

Bed was confortable. Staff were friendly. Tyne bridge wallpaper in hallways was pleasant.

• Standard Twin Room

Room was not clean - stains on sheets and carpets and did not shower as it was very dirty had To lay out my clothes in bed to sleep on as it smelled like sweat , window was stuck open - whole place had musty smell needs a good clean ! Very old fashioned decor pictures are deceiving

WiFi

Only thing for me personally was the location of the room. (Room 2) as it is just in the door leading to the rooms, it's very loud and noisy when door bangs the whole room shakes and the thumping of people going up & down the stairs is also very loud.

Really friendly and helpful staff. Room was so clean! Tv hung on the wall was a decent size. Lots and tea and coffee. Very good location for town etc (we drove) only 5/10 mins away from town. Also a little asda literally across the road for any amenities.

• Double Room En-Suite

We were kept awake all night by other guests fighting in the corridor outside our door. People who were not staying at the hotel were walking in and out and music was blaring all night from the room where the guests were fighting. Would never recommend or go back. We were also asked to pay for the room in cash as they did not accept cards despite having two card machines

• Quad Room

Very helpful & friendly staff. Provided us with extra supplies (toilet roll, towels and water) on our second day (morning). Very clean and quiet hotel. Staff organized taxis for us when we needed them, recommended nice places to go.

• Double Room En-Suite

The check in at arrival could have been better, we waited quite a while to check in whilst the receptionist was on the phone.

The hotel room was clean and comfortable.

Was incredibly tatty to enter ...greeted with an overflowing wheelie bin at entrance! Overall decor was "tired" but room was clean albeit very sparse on space. Other bedrooms appeared to have many many beds in - almost like a dormatory!

Bed was in fact comfortable and clean bedding and towels. At £89 per double room - I feel I've been overcharged!

Reseptionist was hard to understand no place locally to eat breakfast we paid for thinking we would get a cooked breakfast but no and price we paid online was more than advertised in hotel Also good job we had cash with us as card machine not working

The room was very small and we couldn’t turn the radiator down so it was very warm in the room and when we went to open the window the blind would be open too so it became light also.

The style of the room was lovely the staff were very friendly and really really great with check out. Fantastic staff.

• Standard Twin Room

Having arrived early (1:45) prior to the check in time (2:00) the manager allowed us to drop our bags, assuring us that the room would be cleaned, we were happy with this as we were in a rush to meet family in town and fully expected that this would be the case, however on our return from a family celebration late in the evening we were horrified to find that the room was still in the same dirty condition with beds not changed and rubbish not cleared, with no one around to help we were forced at that late hour to spend the night, sleeping on top of the covers as there was no way we were sleeping in a bed that someone else had slept in the night before!! In the morning complaining to the person on reception, he said sorry but appeared no to be shocked and said that he would tell his manager! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, steer clear!!

• Twin Room En-Suite

I couldn't get the wifi working though but this was not too problematic as I had a hot spot device.

The radiator in our room was not working but staff provided us with a portable heater. Excellent secure car parking facilities available at a reasonable cost (£5 per day). Ideally located near Newcastle city centre.

• Quad Room

Wanted a place for me and my 3 friends to stay, great value for money! Comfortable beds, and really helpful staff (especially when my friend locked herself in the room and fell asleep!) thank you!

• Twin Room En-Suite

I can give my insights of what I saw in this hotel: - You will be charged upfront for your complete stay, there is no other option. I have stayed in dozens of hotels but never seen this kind of a policy. - Rooms are very small. - No USB port in TV. - No phone in rooms to call for any kind of assistance. If you need anything you either call their reception from your mobile or walk towards the reception. - There is only one staff member in the complete hotel at one point of time. By one I mean literally one, only one person there which stays at the reception. - No permanent housekeeping staff in the hotel. Housekeeping people comes around 10 AM in the morning, clean all rooms in 3-4 hrs and then they are gone. If you need to get your room cleaned do clean it yourself. - They will only provide milk, sugar and coffee pouches according to number of guests in the room for one tea or coffee per day. When asked about it from one of the shift managers, he said it is budget hotel. - There is a common Iron Room where you can do you need to go to iron your clothes. - There was a billiards table, which never worked during my stay of 12 days. - There was a vending machine for cold drinks and cho - Now I come on to their Full Continental Breakfast: - They have four types of cereals like corn flakes. - Bread, butter (expired ones), jam and honey. We didn't check expiry dates for jam and honey. - Milk / Juice - Tea / Coffee - Frozen Cheese Omelates, which were only available for first two days. After that they got finished and never came back. - Some fruits - Some olives, which I believe no one had and they never changed it. As they looked to be not fit for eating. - Once their lift malfunctioned and it took 3-4 days to get that repaired. So, beware of this hotel, book it at your own risk. Though, sometimes they provide things like water bottle (we got it twice) and cookies.

• Standard Twin Room

The shower didn’t work, the room I stayed in. I mentioned it when I checked out but it was mentioned I had to call back after midday. I’ve been in meetings since and haven’t had chance to pick this up. It would have been nice for the hotel to contact me.

The secure car parking

• Standard Twin Room

No heating asked several times about the heating even in the middle of the night and they said the heating was on but it was freezing. Said earlier in the day they would give us a heater if w needed it but when we asked they said they had ran out. They didn’t offer us an alternative and we had to ask for an extra blanket and they gave us “the only clean one” as the rest were dirty. Didn’t give us any proper extra towels when we asked for them just a hand towel because , again.. the rest were dirty. Locked us Out of our room for 15 minutes on the second day because they forgot to update the system, even though I booked for 2 nights and didn’t change or amend my booking at anytime so I don’t understand why they got so confused. This was very inconvenient because it spoiled our plans. I wouldn’t stay here again but for the purpose of my visit to Newcastle the location was good.

The house keeper was very friendly and helpful :)

Hardly anything to pick for breakfast. Rooms were small and you couldn't just sit in the place as the people would just stare at your the whole time and make you feel uncomfortable

Bed was comfy

• Standard Twin Room

As per my scheduled flight, I reached a little early and they allow me early check-in without any extra charge. Location of this hotel is pretty and I definitely would recommend it to my dear one's.

• Twin Room En-Suite

Exit door had been broken into and repaired with joist straps Door handle in toilet was broken Not enough sockets

No facilities on site but expected there to be a bar/restaurant

• Standard Twin Room

Lack of heating in shower room & plug in basin.

Croissant all too sweet, plain would be better but breafasts adequate. Shower its self very good. Very helpful staff.

• Standard Twin Room

the room was a bit small

loved our stay we had a lovely time and the staff where brilliant the bed was really comfy and the hotel was modern and clean we where upgraded for free

• Standard Twin Room

I wouldve liked to have been able to increase the temperature on the radiator because the room did get a bit cold at night - i had to wrap up. It would be nice to keep a carton of soy milk at hand for customers who dont take cow milk.

The fruits in the breakfast room were fresh. The whole area was clean. The guestroom was tidy, the bathroom facilities were perfect.

The area, the room ,lack of facilities. It is a hostel and not a hotel. Do yourself a favour and pay extra for a hotel in the centre if you want the hotel experience to enhance your stay.

Parking. It was clean. It would suit stag do's

• Standard Single Room

Room just a little unkempt- wood work not finished. Carpet needed hoovering.

Only paid £25 for 1 night. Got more than expected. Ensuite was ok. Tea and coffee plentiful. Bed comfy clean linen

• Double Room En-Suite

We had a bit of confusion about what had to be pay on the spot, and what would be automatically charged via booking.com.

Very comfortable and cozy room, and the staff was very helpful!

• Standard Single Room

Charged five pounds extra for secure parking, did not know about this before arrival as e mail to property was NOT answered

Easy to get to city centre, quiet location

Couldn't find staff on arrival, or at departure. Very noisy, both from other guests, and traffic noise from outside.

Low price at short notice booking, but very basic accommodation. Very.

• Quad Room

Dated decoration, key opened numerous rooms not just ours, no lock on toilets, had to ask for extra blankets as it was quite cold.

Comfy bed, close to centre, locked secure parking, good shower, nice tea/biscuits, extra blankets were easy to get.

• Single Room En-Suite

The breakfast was very basic and there was no staff available should you need any assistance. It was only a continental breakfast and what was on display did not look appetising. There was a sign to ask about allergy information but no staff to ask. The tables were also left uncleared. The toaster was not switched on so it took a long time to toast the bread. It took 4 passes through the conveyor. The lift was not working at the time of my visit.

The room was clean and tidy, with a nice en-suite. Security looked good and so did the fire alarm system. There were plenty of exit signs, so I did feel safe inside my room. There was a nice big television with all of the Freeview channels, including HD channels. Tea and Coffee in room came with plenty of sachets including milk and 2 servings of biscuits. The room was clean and to a good specification, although the lights were a bit dim if you had some work to do.

The room was tiny. The lift wasn't working. There was a ceiling flood outside my room. My room was in the stairways and everyone tried to open my door. The noise was horrendous from people going up and down the stairs. The fire door slammed constantly. The smell of damp from the water leak was sickly.

The shower was good.

Small wash basin. Shower head and soap dish was dirty. No double glazing which means we could hear traffic from the main road at night.

Close to city centre.

• Double Room En-Suite

Didn’t feel safe hotel was occupied by drug users very very noisy . Un clean horrible please do not stay here. More like a hostel. Worst hotel ever !!

Dated decor and poor breakfast for the price. Book a hotel more central so everything is within walking distance.

Staff very friendly. The decor very dated, but lovely bathroom. Rooms quite small, we were in an attic room. We also found we had to use taxis all the time, as we were going to a show at the Metro Arena and didn't know our way round. The continental breakfast very poor for the price.

• Standard Single Room

Maybe the only thing I could say would be a soap dispenser in the shower cubical??? And that really is being picky but might be a good idea????

I really liked the staff, on arrival I was greeted by the reception manager who went through my booking and he asked if I had a good trip up from the Midlands. He then told me the password for the Wi-Fi in the area of the hotel I was in and made sure my car was safe in the hotel car park. He then took me and my bags to my room and showed me how everything worked and where things were in the hotel i.e. breakfast room etc. I was then asked what time I would like to go for breakfast in case I wanted a lye in. He then said if I need anything for example extra towels etc to see him and he would sort them straight away, I really haven't had any hotel treat me this way so I was amazed by the service. So thank you very much for such a great standard of service.

• Standard Twin Room

the blinds didn't keep out all the light, ok in winter, but in summer could be a problem for light sleepers.

Good value, secure parking, comfy bed, good shower

• Double Room En-Suite

The extractor fan in the bathroom did not work at all. Poor standard of decor (wallpaper torn in places and carpet was filthy.When I reported fault extractor to 3 staff that were in the reception area, I was told it would be seen to immediately. Not repaired but they left a dirty coffee cup.TV did not work at all.Many other guests were very rowdy and inconsiderate on their return to the hotel.Rowdiness went on until around 4:30am and at least one fight broke out in the room above.Could not wait to get out of this grotty low class establishment.

The bed was comfortable.

Only the parking facilities; we parked outside in the road which was ok.

As we arrived the receptionist on duty was especially helpful as we were strangers in the area & needed some directions.

Many of the other guests were exceptionally noisy and inconsiderate. I might stay there again but mid week and with earplugs!

The hotel was in a bit of a scruffy area but is clean and comfortable. We were expecting Sky which was not forthcoming. The staff were great and very welcoming.

Room was a little compact but very clean and tidy milk on the tea tray could have been a little fresher other than that a pleasant stay

Quick check in and only a ten minute drive to our destination for the evening

• Standard Twin Room

On arrival they wanted to charge us £5 cash deposit for the key. We decided to have breakfast in the morning as this was an option to pay at the property, however once again they wanted cash only, saying that they had no card facilities, we had to leave and find somewhere else to eat!

• Standard Twin Room

The juice in the vending machine was that warm the cans where flat. There was nothing at breakfast except cereal and warm milk toast and a few banana split and warm yoghurts

The room was nice and clean

• Twin Room En-Suite

Room was damp and cold. Carpets dirty. No heating on until asked. Booked 2 rooms and had to stay in one all together but forced to pay the same.

Close to centre

• Double Room En-Suite

The Grainger Hotel was adequate for one night, but it is in a rather run down location with some noise from the street. During our stay we were disturbed by noisy guests talking loudly in the corridor and banging doors up to 2am. The wash basin in the bathroom was very small and difficult to use and the hot water came out in little more than a dribble.

The Grainger Hotel was convenient for the bus into the city centre. The car park was convenient and well protected for £5 per night. We did not have the extra-cost breakfast and so cannot comment.

• Standard Twin Room

No wardrobe, just a coat hanger. Carpets very old, had to pay £5 for private parking.

Beds comfy, plenty tea and coffee, tv, Wi-Fi, plenty plugs & mirrors, fresh towels, lovely bathroom with big shower and plenty hit water.

Tv turned on in the room but remote and even buttons on the tv didn’t work.. bathroom was on the slightly small side

Tv turned on in the room but remote and even buttons on the tv didn’t work

• Standard Single Room

Fire exit was open outside room, could not shut it so room was cold at night and extremely cold in the morning when i woke up. Required deposit for key, ive never had this at any other hotel. Even budget hotels!

Cheap room, easy to find. Staff friendly

hot food

No hot food available so we went across the road to eat breakfast .but the place is well situated easy parking outside ,comfy and good value for the money .

• Single Room En-Suite

My heating wasn't working and I was provided with a fan heater. I went out and when I returned the heater wasn't working either!!

The room was very clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful. Due to the problems I was upgraded to a double room for no extra cost.

• Standard Single Room

At 2 in the morning i was awoken to the sound of drunk people walking in through the fire exit! Then i had one of the drunken party lent against my room door nearly vomiting. You should have all guests come through one door so you know exactly who is in for health and safety reasons at least. I also think you should start vetting who is coming into your property. It seemes like it was full of drunks. The area the hotel was in is very run down to say it is 5 minutes out of city centre. I walked to one of the shops which wws a few doors away and was stopped 3 times! By people begging for money.

I liked the fact you had a kettle in the room with free condiments. I also liked the little shampoo bottle with towels in the bathroom. Nice little gesture.

• Double Room En-Suite

Toilet door was a sliding door therefore hardly any privacy to do your business in the toilet. Not good! No thermostat to turn off/control the heating. Got very hot and stuffy and there was a tiny window which didn't do justice. Wi-Fi didn't even work. Dirty carpet. Walls were very thin so we could hear everything in the rooms next to us - from talking to the flushing of the toilets!!! Not good if you want a good night's rest before a long day ahead of you. Expensive price did not reflect the poor room we had

Shower was good and powerful

My stay was very good nothing I could complain about just was very warm witch is just my personal preference

Not a complaint just was low on Orange juice

• Single Room En-Suite

Very noisy! My room was right beside a large communal area in which groups of men appeared to congregate all night long (still going strong post 1am). I appeared to be one of the few guests in the hotel so I am unsure who they even were. This was the case both nights I was here. Fairly unpleasant room and a poor breakfast. I would suggest you avoid this place.

I was there for football and it is a 20 minute walk from Saint James' Park. Only positive.

The toilet did not flush, I requested it be fixed, it was not. The hotel walls are paper thin and inconsiderate neighbouring guests could be heard until 0330AM on two nights which meant no real sleep. Pokey small room with no wardrobe. I paid for four night and left after three. Bad!

• Standard Twin Room

the carpets in the bedrooms need to be changed and a little more detail to hoovering and dusting.

Looks like that are upgrading the hotel the decor looks well, and is in a quite part of town.

• Quad Room

A little dated in places such as reception but for the price you know it isn't five stars.

Easy check in. Good price for four of us to stay in a family room where essentially we just needed somewhere to sleep. Shower was decent, beds comfortable. We didn't have the breakfast as we decided to get up and head off but it was only £4.95 if you did want breakfast. Uber to centre cost less than £4

• Quad Room

location was a fair way out and no cooked breakfast available (we knew before traveling) Lots of undesirables hanging around the area which made us feel uncomfortable Steps to the bathroom where a danger when wet too

comfy beds and room clean

• Standard Twin Room

Private parking was a nightmare in the morning due to a large red van being badly parked also the electric gate was playing up and we struggled to get out resulting in damage to my car f/n/side door . The cost to repair is £300 plus

• Standard Single Room

The hotel is located about 20 minutes' walk to the west of the city centre: it's a good brisk walk uphill to get there; there are also plenty of buses to and from the hotel, as it's situated on a main road; however, while the location in itself is fine, it's not exactly easy or convenient to drop-off things or pop in to change, etc. I didn't have any issues with the hotel itself, but other potential guests should be aware of the slightly out-of-the-city-centre location.

The Grainger Hotel offers excellent value-for-money. It was remarkably cheap on the night I stayed. The room was comfortable, smart, and had new shower/bathroom facilities. I would stay there again, based on this generally positive first visit.

• Quad Room

Because its not in the prettiest of neighborhoods (as with most areas on the outskirts of a city) I think they would benefit from key card locks on the doors entering the lobby. As the night receptionist is not always at his desk it could be a safety issue.

Great place on a budget. We were so well looked after with teas, coffees, biscuits, fresh towels and room clean every day, which I honestly did not expect for the price! Location was great, 10min walk into town. We got a taxi home most nights for 4-7£. Our tv didn't work but there is one in the lobby area and we didn't really mind.

• Standard Twin Room

Every thing. was there 3 nights never slept .. Bed was old and mattress should have been on the skip. Breakfast over priced No Wi-Fi in room carpet was a health hazard ripped beside toilet door. Very noisy and security light shone in the room.. tv colour was a joke. Bad area didn't feel safe at night. No restaurants or cafes to eat in area.

Bathroom although it was very dark . Supply of Tea and coffee good