Reviews of Grange Fitzrovia Hotel 4 stars

20-28 Bolsover Street, Westminster Borough, London, W1W 5NB, United Kingdom

#473 of 977 hotels in London

Room to hot, air con unit broken, but portable fan in wardrobe. Surprised that for a 4 * broken bit off curtain tie back left on side & not fixed. Shower screen also quite dodgy to move.

Staff were brilliant. Room nice & bed very comfortable, lovely linen. Excellent location.

• Superior Twin Room

The room was hot- the window was open and we had the fan on all night. I thought we should have had complimentary bottles of water in the room and perhaps a fridge. Good sized room though.

The room was very clean but the bathroom was minute and the air con and extractor fan did not work.

Old fashioned could do with an update Small rooms as expected No air con but windows open and fan supplied

Helpful staff, great location Comfortable beds Good amenities in room, tea coffee and iron and ironing board!

Staff are great! Can’t do enough for you, location is perfect for London and especially the West End. Rooms are a good size for a central hotel. Loved that they retain the character of the hotel. Really enjoyable stay, will come again!

I had a couple of issues but they were all resolved.

The front of house staff were amazing. Very helpful and polite. The hotel is situated in a good location.

The room was tiny, and the edge of the bathtub was about 2 feet from the floor, and I felt like I was taking my life in my hands when climbing in and out. No AC, and it was unusually hot in London.

Old world feel and good location. Furnishings were nice. Staff pleasant.

Didn't eat in restaurant so cannot say. The bathroom really needed some hooks to hang towels up, lots of cupboards & drawers but no hooks anywhere.

Staff helpful & friendly. Room was comfortable, hot but that was due to the rare London heatwave! Location very good for tubes.

Breakfast far too expensive at £24+pp so did not bother. Main meal costs are very reasonable as advertised but not tried.

Apart from breakfast cost, this is an excellent and convenient hotel in central London and have stayed here many times. Nice staff, lovely rooms,quiet and comfortable.

• Comfort Triple Room

Tube is close indeed, but it isn’t not that loud to impede sleep. Little aesthetic wear on bathroom amenities.

Breakfast was fine. Room was of good quality for the price.

The bathroom light didn’t work properly toilet Handel stiff so it wasn’t pushed lol way up it kept making noises lol night shower was stiff couldn’t switch back off so flooded the floor

Bed was amazingly

• Superior Twin Room

Nothing really. The only thing was that I requested an early check-in and the hotel replied this was possible for £15/hour extra which I thought was rather mean. I did not go for it in the end and checked in clode to 3PM.

We chose the hotel for its location which was perfect for us (going to the FA Cup Final at Wembley). Rooms do not come cheap but that's the same all over central London so in the end we paid a little more for this 4 star hotel than you would pay for a 2 or 3 star hotel with a tiny tiny room. Our room wasn't big but certainly more spacious than most 2/3 star room hotels and with ensuite bathroom. Little minus: we had a tea maker but I could not find tea....Otherwise standard room, but clean and quiet at night. There is also a little bar if you want to order something at night time. We did not regret our choice.

It's a bit worn and very warm. £2.75 for a tiny bottle of Diet Coke!

Location and price. Easy check-in. Really comfy bed.well equipped, iron,fan,toiletries

The room was really small and hard to move around in. Only a fan to keep you cool on a hot night.

I felt as though this was a fantastic location and the room was good value for money for the location.

The housing for the kettle was a bit of a mind trick to where to plug it in ,and to make the tea or coffee . I also had a near miss at breakfast as on drinking my Orange Juice I noticed what appeared to be orange rind at the bottom , when I removed it it was actually a sliver of glass that was about 1 and a half inches long , I could of been in serious trouble if I had swallowed it , I reported this to the breakfast maid and all she said was it looks like a chip from a glass that someone had knocked. But apart from that all was great. I did also notice that there was a build up of dust in the show cabinets in the foyer.

The Room was very comfortable.the staff were exceptional for help and graciousness .

Maybe an AC in the summer would be a good idea. But they do provide a fan.

This hotel is one of the best in this area. The room is very comfortable and spacious. The staff are professional and welcoming. The ambiance of the place is worth the value. The hotel was so good that I had to cancel other bookings and return to it.

The hotel isn't really classic retro luxury or modern. There were some stains on the carpet though the rest of the room was nice and clean.

This was a great value for money stay in a great location. The staff were very helpful and I was able to leave my bag there no problem for a while after checking out. The bed was really comfy and having a bath was a nice option. The toiletries were good for those even with sensitive skin.

I booked a "Superior Double" room for the 2 nights we stayed and the room was VERY small. There was a huge dirty stain on the lampshade to the right of the bed. There was mold on the tiles in the bathroom right above the bath. There is a mass amount of dust in the radiator which looks like it's never been cleaned. The room has 3 lamps which is too many for the "Size" of the room and oddly there is one in front of a mirror right next to the TV which meant you couldn't use the mirror. There is a 4 plug extension under the desk which looked a mess. The tea making area was a box on the wall which was positioned in the wrong place as my partner and I walked into quite a few times. All-in-all we was disappointed with the room and sadly wouldn't stay there again.

The location of the hotel was just where we wanted to stay with it being close the Tottenham Court Road and Camden Market. The other bonus was the tube station Great Portland Street was literally 3 minute walk away. The staff we encountered were very friendly and professional.

Bed, tired decor, small room

Room was pokey and the bed was tiny, my feet hung off the end and I'm not exactly tall. The hotel could do with a make over, very tired and out of date. Also had to return to reception 3 times at 1am in the morning as key didn't work. Staff were great, especially the Sri Lankan late night barman, he was brilliant and so helpful.

View of an alleyway - but this is central London No minibar but hotel has a bar. I didn’t meet any English people, neither guests nor staff - again,no complaints, typical London experience at v low price :)

Standard dark-wood and velour 3-4star hotel - nice free tea and biscuits in room, comfy bed. Very good for the price, very convenient for UCH University College Hospital

The bed needed a new mattress and the bathroom was very tired in need of a refurbishment ,the taps were rather disgusting.

The staff were extremely polite and very helpful, they couldn’t do enough for us

• Comfort Triple Room

When we arrived late at night our room wasnt ready & we had to wait half an hour @ 10.30pm. The drainage in the room was dreadful. The shower filled with water so we had to stand in water covering our feet. The hand basin wouldnt empty. Even by morning it was still full.

The furniture/furnishings

No air conditioning, hotel give us a fan had to have windows open so very noisy. Hotel said for second night they would move us into a room with air con which they moved us into a smaller room still without air con and a fold out bed for our 18year old son, so we ended up in a worse room than we started out with, they give us complementary breakfast for the following morning which I’m glad I didn’t pay for as it wasn’t worth the money

We stayed for the weekend and found ourselves in a perfectly clean room with cozy and comfortable beds. Even though our room faced the street and we kept the windows open there really wasn't any noise. Another great plus is the location as the subway is only a 5 minute walk away and many exciting locations are already within walking distance!

The hotel is really well located, close to the lively Soho and the city center - did everything by walk. The hotel is located on a rather calm street, the hotel staff was helpful, and the room was clean (slightly outdated, but comfortable overall). I booked this last-minute with a nice discount - this made it even better!

Very poor room - pull down bed with overly firm mattress. No bedside lighting or tables and dirty bathroom sink. A less than 2 star room in a 4 star hotel.

Friendly staff and reasonable public areas.

The television was of poor quality and kept cutting out due to a bad connection/signal. Did not bother to report as only stayed one night. Other than that all was fine.

• Superior Twin Room

The room wasnt very big. Had to lift a heavy suitcase in over the bed as the door is too close to the bed and a cupboard behind the door restricting access. Skimpy of the tea and coffee which are all hidden away and lights didn't work also bathroom floor was slippy and bath taps not easily reached due to shower screen. And this was an executive twin. 4* tends to be awarded like smarties these days

The only thing I would recommend were the staff and the large bathroom

Slightly dated decor. TV very small. Bed wasn’t very comfortable and gave ya a bad back, but guess that’s each guests different preference!

Location wise it was close to Euston and Warren Street.

Well there was no coffee, tea or water in the rooms, when I asked for water at reception they gave me a jug of tap water and were not happy about giving me some coffee. The staff at breakfast were unhelpful and miserable and did not want to let me sit where I wanted to sit. They refused to let my colleagues from Switzerland to put breackfast on their rooms then kept them standing for 15 minutes until my colleagues just gave up and left without having any breakfast.

View from room at back, cooked breakfast was not great.

Staff friendliness, rooms well appointed clean spacious enough and safe. Staff are very professional.

Bathroom very small but functional and perfect for 1, too tight for 2. Must install a magnifying mirror for older guests.

Bed comfortable room cozy and quiet.Staff efficient and welcoming. Towels good quality.

• Superior Twin Room

Check in process on electronic pad.

The room was comfortable, however very little hanging space or place in the bathroom to put your toiletries - but plenty of space in the bathroom to put a dresser or similar.

The bathroom floor tiles were slippery and due to a pipe bursting there was no hot water. This was not their fault however can give them 10 out of 10.

The hotel was in a very good location for its price, and had excellent tea making facilities.

The room was very tried and bathroom needs a lot of work done on it. I have sent photos of the rusted bath taps . And no hot water so could not shower: bath.

My boyfriend and I ended up slipping down the middle of the single beds pushed together. Road works outside my room woke me up at 7.30am on a Saturday morning as my room was directly at the side of the roadworks in front of the hotel.

Room was clean and staff very friendly and helpful.

Dated furniture but well maintained.

We got an upgrade free of charge and the staff was really good. They let us check out a bit later free of charge. Clean, comfy beds and quiet, slept really well.

Shower needs updating. The cleaners were very noisy on the Sunday morning. Lots of banging and raised voices with no consideration for guests still trying to sleep.

Clean and quiet room. Good location. Unfortunately view was looking into offices at the side of the hotel.

Location was brilliant, only 15min walk to Oxford Street or 2min walk to Great Portland Street station. Hotel was clean and had a old feel that I really liked.

Bed very comfortable, have stayed here before and its an ideal hotel at a very reasonable price. Great location just a hop skip and a jump from oxford circus.

Not much to not like, we didn't have breakfast as running early the next day.

The property was honest for what it was and age etc. Nice and clean, it could however do with an updated bath/shower unit.

After staying at this hotel for many years we would like to see it refreshed and more welcoming upon arrival, it is rather dark and requires some lighter touches, a little love would go a long way.

This hotel is in a good location for our purpose, it is comfortable, staff are very pleasant.

Hotel did not meet my expectations of a comfort stay for the amount I payed. Please be aware that all rooms are single glazed and have no soundproofing/isolation. Even I asked for a quiet room and even the heating system works fine there is a lot of noise from the street and from a hotel guests. I did not sleep well and that broke all my weekend. The room itself is cozy however all furniture is very old and looks dirty. Bathroom equipment is dirty and needs replacement. Unfortunately I did not enjoy my stay at all and won't recommend that hotel to anyone.

Location is quite good, close to a public transport and the city center is in a walking distance.

Bathroom rad not working and not put right or offered another room. It was therefore too cold to linger and have a nice bath. No discount given when asked on checkout.

Breakfast overpriced.

Lovely original hotel in the heart of London only 10 minutes walk from London Palladium. Lots of character, staff great, rooms clean and comfortable.

Since I was supposed to attend a pre-concert reception and I was in the city from early in the morning, I kindly ask them to allow me an earlier check-in. They answered as follows: " Please note that our check in time is at 14:00 , however we will try our best to accommodate you as soon as the rooms ready , or there is a supplement of £15 per hour to guarantee the early check in." Only by curiosity, I checked the availability of a similar room that morning and there were some still available ( free/ready for an early check-in, in my opinion ). I arrived at the hotel around 1 PM. Not only that they told me that my room wasn't ready, but they also told me that the official check-in starts at 3PM. Later, I saw at the very reception desk that on Sunday, the official hour for check-in is 2PM ( exactly how I had been told by email ). I left the luggage and I was back at 3PM, in a hurry to get ready for the reception. Surprise!!! I had to wait more than half an hour for the water in the shower to get warm enough; in the end, I called the reception desk and they send me somebody to fix the problem. Back from the concert, I had to return from my room twice as the electronic key had been deactivated. In few word, next time when I'll be in London for a concert at Wigmore Hall, I will definitely search for another accommodation nearby.

The hotel is located pretty close to Wigmore Hall where I was attending a concert that evening - it was perfect to be able to walk there and back.

Poor hotel bar choice. Very limited wine choice by the glass. Cocktails on menu but weren’t available the night we stayed.

Lovely bed and sheets. Quiet location. Large bathroom with bath, shower and two sinks. Kettle facilities. Staff polite, friendly, happy and very helpful.

I have stayed in other Grange hotels in London that have been fine. I had a “superior double”, it was a glorified single and far too small leading to some matrimonial disharmony in the morning! Charging breakfast at £24 per person was far too much. The shower access was challenging and would have been very difficult for a less able person so check that if mobility is an issue. Check in and Check out was fine.

Location, clean, staff were good

The room was COLD The bathroom was TINY and made even smaller by the door opening inwards The shower was in the bath and required stepping over a high bath side The kettle had a lead so SHORT that the kettle had to be tilted when plugged in! This was supposedly a 'superior' room and standard price was over £200 per night. Hate to think what a standard room was like

This hotel was really nice. The bedroom and bathroom were clean and the bed was comfortable plus couldn't hear any noise from the road or other rooms. I used the lounge bar in the evening and ordered a meal which arrived quickly and was good value for money. I would stay at this hotel again and recommend to others.

There was a stain on the carpet and on the throw which was on the bed

It was a very comfortable bed, I do not usually sleep well first night in a hotel but I had a good night's sleep

Dinner was a little ordinary and at £29, breakfast was too pricey for me.

Lovely shower, comfy bed and room bigger than normal for london hotel, quiet street. Staff super helpful!

Every item from the cooked breakfast buffet was cold and my first cup of coffee was too. It was terrible value for money! Other members of our party went to a cafe round the corner and had a freshly cooked HOT breakfast for less than half the price! Enough said. In hindsight I should have insisted on a refund for the terrible breakfast.

Room was nice and roomy and clean.

The breakfast was a little bit pricey. We would like to have more beauty products since we were 2 people.

Location - very close to Oxford Street. The room was big and very clean. Very quiet area. The staff was very helpful.

The breakfast cost was quite expensive in comparison to the normal menu , therefore did not have breakfast in the hotel.

It was clean and comfortable and not to far from Euston station. It was quiet room was very nice and as requested I was near to my parents.

Room was quite small and very hot even though heating was not on. No air-con ended up sleeping with both curtains and windows open. There was a fan provided which we found in wardrobe so it would seem to us that hotel staff are aware of the fact that the room gets uncomfortably hot. Apart from this, the room was clean and it was good to see that although hotel is fairly old and perhaps in some areas in need of modernisation, that at least in the bathroom there wasn't the inevitable horrible shower curtain and that at least some modernisation had taken place with a glass shower screen. That said bathroom was let down by taps and shower its self had obviously seen better days. We were only staying one night and to get a central London hotel for under £100, it wasn't too bad.

Check in was pleasant and staff very friendly.

• Comfort Triple Room

The hotel rooms face onto a road used for deliveries at night to Sainsburys . Noisy trucks off loading. The room and bathroom in desperate need of a refurb. Cleaning of rooms leaves much to be desired.

Great area, however the location terrible

Thé staff was nice. The hotel even called me to apologise about a problem we had with the room. It's nice to see staff who takes care of there customers. The location is great.

No bottle of water. No bedside lights. Small tv far away from bed -couldn't see it!

Spacious room. Had central heating which isn't noisy like aircon.nice building in nice location

Lovely room and bathroom, we were given a free upgrade upon check in! The location is perfect, a few minutes walk to soho, oxford street and the west end!

breakfast is not included Theres is a doorstop in the bathroom in front of the toilet. Be careful , we both hurt our feets

+The room was big, big bathroom and big bed. +There is a hairdryer , shampoo, bodylotion. mirrors in the room. +You can find good restaurants nearby +Close to oxford street

Good value for the room, but very expensive breakfast. Went to Starbucks.

Located in a quiet area but not far away from Oxford Street, Marylebone and Regents Park. The rooms although a bit on the small side, we're well furnished and very comfy.

• Superior Twin Room

Dated & bathroom needed a bit of an overhaul

Booking.com gave us a rate which made this a fair price at £400 for nights for a twin room - reception price was £280 per night - the room did not warrant a price above what we paid

Some bathroom fittings old and worn, had major problems getting the room entertainment system to work which someone did try and fix but not satisfactorily. Breakfast very expensive

Location was great and very friendly, welcoming and helpful staff

There were no bedside tables or bedside lights. The safe didn't seem to work/.

We stayed in a ground floor room. Very quiet, however the bed is one that folds up into the wall so no bed head and we were concerned that our pillows would fall off the head end of the bed in the night but they didn't. The bed was very comfortable. There were no bedside tables or bedside lights which was a bit of a nuisance.

Definitely not a 4 star hotel, I could not sleep at night because the double bedroom next to mine was occupied by many people who would not stop making noises all day long. The room was very small and old.

Staff, location

Don’t have a ground floor room. Very noisy due to cleaning staff meeting there before shift. Bed didn’t fit into the space where the headboard was so couldn’t sit up in bed. Shower very difficult to get into

Reasonable size room

Checkin staff unhelpful when my wife arrived before me, insisting that she pay for the room before they would give her a key although room was guaranteed by me through Booking.com. I had to speak with the staff on the phone and took some persuasion to allow my wife access to the room. Very unhappy with the way they treated her.

Nice room in a convenient location

• Comfort Triple Room

I blame Bookings.com for this, the room advertised was not the room we got but we still paid extra for it. By the time we arrived, the hotel had given the other room away. Why pay more if you’re going to get less? With my whole family with me and it approaching 10pm I had to feed my family and get them sorted, so I had no choice but take what they gave me or lose my money to go elsewhere. If I had not gone with Booking.com I could have simply canceled my reservation or paid the lower price. I’ve learned my lesson. I’m now looking at whether to cancel my future Booking.com reservations. I don’t use the app much, now I know.

• Executive Room

Tiny room, small bed (too small for two women of 1m90+ each). Every day all towels renewed, also the ones clearly not used, is a waste of resources! When I write a note and lay it on the bed to ask to not do the bed, and it is done anway, I am not happy. The room is warm, even with the heating off and the windows open. Not having parking space (not in/behind the hotel, and on the street is only for residents with a permit) is a nuisance. This hotel has lots of stairs and steps and is not wheelchair accessible. Same for the bath/shower: too small for tall people, unusable for disabled people.

Staff was friendly and helpful, though very much overworked from long hours (our observation, from being present on different times of the day). The bar is nice. Breakfast is good, but some more vegetarian options would be nice. The executive room looks lovely, but it is tiny. Location near shopping streets, touristic places, and our conference venue is excellent. Kettle in the room for tea is nice. The food is nice, also in the restaurant.

• Comfort Triple Room

Rooms weren t ready for check in Rooms not serviced the following day Staff didn’t have a clue what’s going on Rubbish left in the corridors for 22hrs

The bed is would be ok for single travellers, but is too small for two persons

Nice traditional room at a great location: at the southern tip of Regent's Park, close to three tube stations and about 15-20 mins walk of several attractions

• Superior Twin Room

I was brushing my teeth when a piece of tile under the sink fell off and landed on my foot. as a result a finger was broken and the foot was swollen for a while.

Didn't book breakfast as it was far too expensive! £27?! The corridors were absolutely boiling, it felt like I was in a sauna, but overall, lovely place to stay.

Bed was so comfortable and loads of space in the room-lots of toiletries which was really helpful as I'd forgotten mine. Lovely room. Nice reception staff and good that there is a bar in the reception.

The room in itself and the bathroom were smaller than the rooms I had on other occasions.

Mainly the location and the comfortable room, albeit smaller this time. I prefer the rooms facing the street.

The furniture is very old in the lobby, as well in the room. The sink got clogged even after someone fix it. The wooden nightstand was broken, it has a big hole from the hit or already from old age, because it just was about to collapse. The bathtub was extremely old and well used, however was clean enough. The room atmosphere, the old lift of the property, old disorganized leather sofas in the hall did not represent the hotel as 4 stars, I would barely give 2.

There are only two good things about this property: very helpful staff on the reception, bar and location. Very easy access from Great Portland Street. It is easy to get lost if you are moving direction Oxford street, to find the way back to the property is almost impossible. Check in was easy and the guys on reception did the best out of their job.

Browse Grange Fitzrovia Hotel traveller photo gallery