Reviews of Grange Guest House

48 Grange Road, Bishops Stortford, CM23 5NQ, United Kingdom

#7 of 16 hotels in Bishops Stortford

• Reviewed: July 5, 2018

Warm reception of the owner Paulette.

Warm reception of the owner Paulette. Very nice decoration of the room with all facilities. Even a Nespresso Coffee machine in the room - very much appreciated. Very happy Paulette could accomodate our wish to have our 2 daughters joining for breakfast so we could start my birthday with a homecooked family breakfast!

• Reviewed: June 30, 2018

A very warm welcome from Paulette, a very relaxed atmosphere...
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

A very warm welcome from Paulette, a very relaxed atmosphere and a great breakfast, made for a good stay at the Grange. I would wholeheartedly recommend a stay there

• Reviewed: June 25, 2018

My stay at Grange Guest house was the.worst stay me and my daughter ever experience! Worst service!
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The staff is very unhelpfull and they showed from beginning to end that they was not interested in mine or my daughter needs. The room was very basic and the take away breakfast was very poor! Very unwelcoming atmosphere!

The all experience was the worst I ever had! I felt not welcom and the landlady was not interested to meet our needs! I booked Grange Guest house because I liked the look of the garden, but I when we arrived we realized that the garden is not accessible and there is not a suitable place to seat and enjoy the sun. I advice to anyone that is thinking booking to this guest house to look else where! The atmosfere and facilities are under the expected standard!

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

The hostess was supernice and the breakfast was delicious!
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The hostess was supernice and the breakfast was delicious! I ended up here after having been stranded at Stansted Airport, and I had one of the best sleeps of my life.

• Reviewed: May 21, 2018

Friendly staff, convenient for a short stay before an early morning flight
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

As expected, stayed there the night before an early flight, few minutes walk from the train station which is 10 mins direct to Stansted. The beds were comfy and the shared bathroom was clean.

• Reviewed: May 9, 2018

Comfortable night in a cozy Victorian home
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

No complaints about our stay! I would mention for other visitors that the guesthouse is best located by the address itself; there's only a small sign on the front door that could be easily missed.

We only stayed a night, but it was extremely comfortable and homey. The host went out of her way to make sure we were taken care of, including having a breakfast to-go in the morning for a very early departure.

• Reviewed: April 30, 2018

Nice place for quick access to Stansted
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The onluissue was that the beds were very creaky, so each time one of us moved it woke the other up. Perhaps a bit of WD40 would help.

A great location for Stansted airport with access to the local town centre for restaurants, etc. The owner was very friendly and the place was clean.

• Reviewed: April 21, 2018

It was very nice to have takeaway breakfast since my friend...
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

It was very nice to have takeaway breakfast since my friend and had to catch an early flight and couldn't enjoy the freshly made breakfast. The takeaway breakfast was generous. The room looks exactly the same as the pictures. The bathroom and the toilet were clean. Wifi was excellent.

• Reviewed: March 27, 2018

It works in so many ways the parking is secondary.
    • En Suite Double Room

Nothing you can do about it but the parking is pants. I got lucky this time but not easy to leave your car nearby.

I’ve stayed here before and will again. Handy for the town, warm welcome, great art on the walls, good full English breakfast, best value in the area.

• Reviewed: March 5, 2018

Comfy place for a couple of nights
    • En Suite Double Room

Probably the room was a little bit small but for one or two nights was not a big deal.

We had the cozy attic with a very confortable bed and clean area. The lady was very friendly and helpful. As we were leaving soon in the morning she packed us a picnic breakfast bag. Close to all amenities and train station to the airport.

• Reviewed: February 16, 2018

Best escape I have had in years
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Nothing, I just loved the whole experience

I LOVED my room, I stayed there 2 nights after a stressful period followed by an emotional funeral. My plan was to hit the charity shops, buy lots of books and relax. My room was perfect for this purpose, small, cosy, wonderfully decorated. It was like a haven. I liked the ceiling at night :) The breakfast was wonderful, Paulette recommended another village that has a huge charity bookshop.

• Reviewed: December 19, 2017

A lovely place with friendly owners at affordable price. Great location.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Guest room. The cosy room downstairs lined with books, family looms, old pictures and vintage decor was very inviting. Family and friends can come and visit you there at any time during your stay. We absolutely loved it and during meal times the whole house fills up with aroma of delicious food, cookies and pie. Just like home 😊

• Reviewed: December 18, 2017

Comfortable accommodation, friendly owners
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Had a fantastic trip , there was nothing we disliked.

The owners of guest house was really friendly and made us feel very welcome. It was a really cold weekend when we visited and I was worried about being cold at night but room was lovely and warm. Bed was very comfortable and breakfast was nice.

• Reviewed: December 2, 2017

Feels like home
    • En Suite Double Room

Parking has occasional limitations if leaving a vehicle at the property during the day

Homely, comfortable house. Tastefully decorated, clean and warm. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Reviewed: November 20, 2017

Good place to stay! I would stay there again.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

It is situated up a hill, was no problem for me, but if one had difficulty with mobility it could be a problem.

The room was lovely. Bed very comfy. Breakfast made to order. I was able to leave my heavy suitcase in the living room so I didn't have to carry it upstairs. Not far from station and the town.

• Reviewed: November 9, 2017

The breakfast was excellent, not too big, just right.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Parking is an issue but I knew that before I booked and worked around it. Paulette the owner is charming and helpful.

The breakfast was excellent, not too big, just right.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2017

Nice home, one train station away from Stansted
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Although a lovely home and hostess, this isn't really a great choice for the business traveler, staying one night, for the sake of proximity to Stansted (my case). Which they never claimed it is. But I wasn't paying close attention and didn't realize it is actually someone's house, and she is a lovely hostess but I think it works better for people with just a little more time. On the other hand it isn't too far from the train station (about 0.5 km) with one stop to Standsted. I was fouled up though in the fact that my train out of London did not stop at this station and I had to double back from the airport. Again, not the fault of this place, but something to know.

Lovely house and hostess

• Reviewed: October 24, 2017

Overnight stay in London
    • En Suite Double Room

We had to leave so early in the morning that we were unable to enjoy their English breakfast! But the host was kind and prepared take-away breakfast for us.

Hosts were very nice and welcoming. We enjoyed our stay. Our room was charming with a private bathroom. The train station was pretty close and very easy to get to Stansted airport.

• Reviewed: September 29, 2017

Half way between a B&B and a hotel.
    • En Suite Double Room

Sloping ceiling and not much room to pass by the bed meant I banged my head, but only once.

Friendly staff. Offered to let me park my motorcycle off road. Quirky decor items in the room. Nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: September 24, 2017

• Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Lighting in hallway during night time. I had to leave early to catch a flight and had to use my phone as a torch to show me where stairs were and where lock was on front door.

Being able to use dining room in the evening to eat food that brought with me.

• Reviewed: September 20, 2017

Excellent place to stay the night.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I shou have asked but I needed a night light so I didn't have turn on a bright light to use the bathroom.

Close to the train station and the local shopping area. Takeaway breakfast was a life saver.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2017

Comfortable, cosy and welcoming.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Super comfortable room and facilities. Although arrived late, were made to feel welcome. Lovely feel to the place, perfect after a days travel. Very close to a rail station with only one stop to stansted airport.

• Reviewed: August 30, 2017

Room was very comfortable and nice decoration inside.
    • En Suite Double Room

Room was very comfortable and nice decoration inside. We have had tea, coffee, water and biscuits inside the room and all the things needed in the bathroom.

Disappointing breakfast.
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

My disappointment has been breakfast. When I was booked accommodation I was looking for cooked breakfast. On the pictures the breakfast looking great, reality was not any breakfast, because they serving breakfast from 8.00am...... So no cereals, coffee with milk..... When I was check in in the evening and find out that there will be no any breakfast so I was asking to get money back for the breakfast which I did not get as the " lovely lady " has pointed to the booking policy. Definitely I will be avoiding this accommodation. To not forget to mention that you can hear all noises in the house.

Not a lot.

• Reviewed: August 29, 2017

The property and hosts were as explained in the booking, a personal touch is great.
    • En Suite Double Room

Nothing to say all was o.k.

The location was perfect for our needs, the owners made us welcome and answered all our questions, breakfast was very good to set us up for our day ahead. Thank you and should the need arise again would use again.

• Reviewed: August 9, 2017

Was very late arriving due to a delayed flight however was...
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Was very late arriving due to a delayed flight however was still made to feel very welcome. The room was cosy with excellent facilities. Would have liked to have stayed for longer.

• Reviewed: July 29, 2017

quirky, romantic, practical and comfortable
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

mini fridge in room would have been the icing on the cake

stylish house - very arts and crafts. Great books, art work, and decor. So pleasing to find a period home that's not been painted olive and grey, it's very cool. Bed was a little firm for me, but would suit those who like that. Facilities and breakfast excellent, a very peaceful house, clean and restful, though very close to the centre of the old and interesting town. Wifi excellent, coffee superb, lovely owners Was really sad to only be staying the one night

• Reviewed: July 9, 2017

A proper B & B where you were made to feel as if you...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Water in the shower was warm enough but not really hot.

A proper B & B where you were made to feel as if you were staying in someone's home. The facilities were superb, fabulous breakfast and well furnished room.

• Reviewed: June 28, 2017

Great location, great value, friendly and welcoming reception.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom, but for £60 B&B on the outskirts of London who could complain!

We arrived at the property very late following a much delayed flight. The owners made it clear normal check in was before 11.30pm. However they were very understanding and kept in constant communication with us. On arrival, the lady could not have been more helpful or courteous having just got her out of bed she led us to our room and made us feel very welcome. After a long day of delays this was very much appreciated, thank you. The property was well located, within easy reach of London. Nicely kept and the breakfast included in the price was delicious. Would definitely recommend and we will use again if in the area. Thanks.

• Reviewed: June 12, 2017

Friendly and conveniently situated
    • En Suite Double Room

The en-suite is just beginning to look a little tired (attic room) but that's being very picky.

Friendly welcome. Comfortable bed. Very close to town centre and railway station yet situated in a very quiet area.

• Reviewed: May 27, 2017

The location was good only 10 mins from the centre and train...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

If arriving at night be careful as the street has really poor lights so ita practically pitch black so hard to see!

The location was good only 10 mins from the centre and train station.

• Reviewed: May 25, 2017

Paying guest or just an unwanted hassle??
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The pretty appearance of this Victorian Terrace is in complete contrast with the host's unfriendly attitude. She made me feel that I was an unwanted nuisance from the moment I arrived and throughout my stay. Room was fine, squeaky floors and thin walls and smell of old cooking permeating through can all be tolerated. However, in my opinion, this isn't a guest house at all, just a private home where the owner lets rooms to paying guests who really are a nuisance to her.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: May 15, 2017

Lovely weekend in Bishop's Stortford

Everything was great!

It was a lovely stay in Bishop's Stortford. The room was very clean and tidy, breakfast was good as well. Despite being located near to the airport, it was very quiet inside.

• Reviewed: May 8, 2017

Overall a nice, friendly choice
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

This is an old Victorian house. While lovely, the house has thin walls and wooden doors. We were lucky to have quiet fellow guests but could still hear comings and goings. The room was pretty but cold.

Very friendly and welcoming owner

• Reviewed: March 28, 2017

Excellent, cosy and hospitable stay very close to Stansted airport
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

For those with cars: parking not guaranteed: there were quite a few yellow line spaces which run out at 9am, otherwise the street was packed with cars.

Wonderful hospitality, very comfy bed, really lovely decor - hand painted designs on wall and ceiling, made it feel really homey

• Reviewed: March 12, 2017

Great location and lovely home from home.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Lovely landlady, comfortable bed (VERY - and we are buying a topper!), great shower, fabulous breakfast and very reasonable. Quiet road for a close to town centre location. We have recommended to our local friends and will be back.

• Reviewed: February 12, 2017

Unfriendly Host - missed the British Hospitality!
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The heating in the room wasn't great. But all that is not as bad as the Host was. I am traveling around the world since over 30 years now. I was in 5 star Hotels, Guesthouses and B&B's all around the Globe. But never before I was treated so respectless as from the french Lady, Paulette, the Host! Very unfriendly and with no understanding for anything. She made me feel unwanted and uncomfortable in every way. I definitely missed the english charm in this pretty B&B! Never felt this way before in England.

The room was very nice and friendly.

• Reviewed: December 13, 2016

Great place, close to Stansted Airport
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

It's been great to catch an early flight; it's really convenient to get to from Liverpool St, and the coach / train service to Stansted Airport is a 10 mins walk. The place & service is fantastic though, I wish I had more time to stay!

• Reviewed: December 8, 2016

3.0
    Just say no.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Could not eat in room, landlord stopped me at the door when I brought a pizza in. Not really that close to airport. Mattress/pillow smelled so bad I didn't sleep well. Felt like I was staying at a mother in law's house.

• Reviewed: December 5, 2016

Very happy, would go there next time if going there again
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Breakfast - you should not be in a hurry when going for a breakfast :-)

Very nice lady owner, cosy and very "english" style house - we loved it. Very clean.

• Reviewed: November 28, 2016

bed was comfortable good to have tea and coffee making...
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

check in time could be earlier although you can leave your bags there

bed was comfortable good to have tea and coffee making facility nice shower.good location

• Reviewed: November 23, 2016

5.5
    not as convenient to the airport as you might think.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

not as convenient to the airport as you might think. Rather cranky staff if you come late, which you can understand, but if there is a chance you might arrive after 11, I'd go for a proper hotel. They're about the same price and more convenient.

• Reviewed: November 11, 2016

Lovely guesthouse
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

It's definitely a place to stay on the way to somewhere, not a romantic weekend away type place. The takeaway breakfast wasn't that great.

The house was beautiful, like an old boarding house and the owners were very friendly and helpful. It's only a few minutes walk from the station and much nicer than a generic hotel. Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2016

Convenient
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Walking distance to train and shopping. Good size room, nicely decorated with lively colours and an interesting ceiling. Quiet location. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: October 20, 2016

1. The location is near to airport.
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

1, Is a bit scary to walk alone via dark street in the morning and night alone. 2. The room is a bit dark with some drawing which make me feel uncomfortable and can't really sleep well.

1. The location is near to airport. 2. The owner is warm and details.

• Reviewed: October 20, 2016

You are not welcome
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

We arrived at 15.35 which is 25 minutes before check in time which is 16.00. The lady was reluctant to let us wait in the building. She wanted us to go for a walk. We have a 7 month old baby. We were tired. She insisted though that that was their house and that until 4pm it was 'their time' when they are not to be bothered by guests. People who stay there are tired travellers. Particularly those with babies deserve a little more empathy. When she let us wait and finally showed us to our room she warned us not to eat in the room. So we ate our sandwiches out in the cold. We just did not feel welcome here.

It was very clean and the shower was great.

• Reviewed: October 5, 2016

Useful place to stay for the train station / airport and very friendly landlady.
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Perhaps an extra pillow for the bed would have been good but I think that there may have been some in the cupboard.

The landlady was very helpful and made up a breakfast bag for me to take away as I didn't have time for breakfast in the morning.

• Reviewed: September 18, 2016

A Comfortable and central accomodation
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Good location not far from station which connects to Stansted airport ( 1 stop) A nice bedroom with ensuite up the stairs, a substantial breakfast and a great host made this a comfortable stop.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2016

Very welcoming, comfortable night stay

.Liked the breakfast, but not very big portions!

Lovely interesting house. Comfortable bed. It's location, it was in a quiet area and just a short walk into town.

• Reviewed: July 5, 2018

Very cozy and beautiful house with lovely hostess.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Very cozy and beautiful house with lovely hostess. Delicious breakfast. UThe location of the guest house is perfect.

• Reviewed: July 2, 2018

Pleasant stay, great location.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The location and how helpful our hostess was.

• Reviewed: May 27, 2018

Stay here!
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Excellent location, helpful people, quiet room, comfortable bed. A great experience.

• Reviewed: May 8, 2018

Good value accommodation within easy reach of town centre.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Good value accommodation within easy reach of town centre. Very friendly host.

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

Excellent trip

Great stay

• Reviewed: April 28, 2018

Great stay. Great location. Enjoyed the town as well.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The house staff were very nice and accommodating.

• Reviewed: April 18, 2018

Lovely place to stay.
    • En Suite Double Room

very friendly and helpful owner. Great location.

• Reviewed: April 10, 2018

Most pleasant stay
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Fantastic host. Charming ‘retro look’ house.

• Reviewed: March 13, 2018

The English breakfast.

• Reviewed: December 31, 2017

very enjoyable would reccomend
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Very laid back and pleasant landlady

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Just the ticket!
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Possibly a firmer mattress.

Lovely house, and owners. The house is full of interesting art and has a very comfortable feel about it.

• Reviewed: November 27, 2017

Paulette runs a beautiful comfortable guest house and is...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Paulette runs a beautiful comfortable guest house and is very welcoming

• Reviewed: November 21, 2017

very warm welcome and help (journeys local restaurants) from...
    • En Suite Double Room

very warm welcome and help (journeys local restaurants) from owners :) I recommend it

• Reviewed: November 20, 2017

Very good value for money.
    • En Suite Double Room

Very clean, good breakfast and host was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: November 17, 2017

Dirty mats on floor in bedroom and bathroom

Dirty mats on floor in bedroom and bathroom

• Reviewed: October 30, 2017

Authentic English home
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Mattress of the bed could be better.

Authentic English home

• Reviewed: October 30, 2017

Only there for one night going to a party. Convenient reasonably priced goo English breakfast

No toilet in room

The single beds were very comfortable

• Reviewed: October 10, 2017

Great place, nice and friendly people, close to the airport,...
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

Great place, nice and friendly people, close to the airport, good connection to the center of London

• Reviewed: October 5, 2017

The beds were so comfortable.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The beds were so comfortable. Easy access to the station for Stansted. Packed breakfast was given due to the early start which was very kind.

• Reviewed: September 26, 2017

Unfriendly welcome. Felt like it was too much trouble to leave breakfast out early for us.

The manor of the owner

The bed was comfortable

• Reviewed: September 25, 2017

Very convenient and very welcoming in our stay. Recommend if flying from stansted
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Very welcoming and friendly service

• Reviewed: September 14, 2017

Very nice place and lovely and friendly staff, thank you.
    • En Suite Double Room

Sadly the wifi did not seem to work in my room

Very nice people and very helpful, I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Reviewed: August 29, 2017

Perfect end to a wedding weekend. Friendly staff and wonderful room in a homely environment!

The bed was very comfy!

• Reviewed: August 25, 2017

not for me
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I got the feeling i was an inconvenience to the proprietors

• Reviewed: August 19, 2017

wonderful place to stay, almost sad i had to fly out after one night
    • Standard Double Room (with Shared Bathroom Facilities)

lovely hosts, even got a packed breakfast for my early departure