Reviews of Grange Lodge 3 stars

Bootham Crescent, York, YO30 7AH, United Kingdom

#53 of 84 B&Bs and Inns in York

Extremely enjoyable and very good value for the money.

Television was a little erratic and shower the same. Instructions and TV guide would have been appreciated. I’m sure I could have asked for help.

Room serviced everyday and clean towels on second day. Wasn’t needed but lovely surprise. Breakfasts were very good and they gave a great start to the day.

Nice quiet location, very convenient, nice staff and...

Only a couple of quibbles: there was only one power point and this was on the skirting board which meant that I had to boil the kettle on the floor. There was no space for a TV table so the TV was on the top of the wardrobe and I found it difficult to use the remote. This would not matter as I had my smartphone but the wi-fi varied between a powerful signal and non-existent. But it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the guest house. The other quibble is that on the second day, a couple of fellow guests at breakfast did not realise that they were being extremely loud in their conversation. I personally found this discomforting. Again, not the fault of the owners.

Nice quiet location, very convenient, nice staff and breakfast. As a solo traveller the room was just the right size and a nice shower room.

The room was lovely and the lady that met us to gave us our...
    • Large Double Room

The room was lovely and the lady that met us to gave us our key and served us breakfast was wonderful. The location is ideal, just 15mins walk to the centre. The breakfast was lovely, with a selection of fruits, which I love in the morning and a full English with a perfect poached egg. Thankyou we would stay again

We spent 3 nights and would highly recommend the Grange...
    • Large Double Room

We spent 3 nights and would highly recommend the Grange Lodge.Hosts are very friendly.Room was spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. Excellent choice of breakfast and very tasty. Great location within walking distance of all amenities and free parking which is ideal and a big bonus in a city.

We had a really nice stay and the hosts couldn't have been friendlier.

Nothing. It was excellent.

Lovely bathroom and the bed was really comfortable. Excellent breakfasts. The location is superb and really nice surroundings.

Not up to standard as the other reviews suggested.

The room we were in was full of cobwebs and dust. The curtains were dusty and the hems were coming down. The net curtains/voilles were filthy as was the corners of the windowsill. The bedside lamp at one side was tatty and all split inside. The room was small as was the bathroom. The shower cubicle barely had room to move in and the bathroom sink was situated in the bedroom. The sink surround was dingy. We booked this hotel months in advance because of the reviews for our anniversary and birthday and was disappointed with it. The room we stayed in was not pictured on the site but the other rooms that were on the site looked nice. We would not stay here again.

The hosts were very nice and the breakfasts were very tasty with a good selection. The bedding and towels were clean and the bed was comfy. The guest house is ideally situated for the city centre and the street was quiet and the outside of the property is nice and well maintained.

Clean but not worth the money review was breakfast excerlant asked for soft egg it was hard

The owner and staff were friendly

I stayed in there single room which cost me just short of £50 it was that small I could put my hands flat on the walls and had to walk side ways passed the toilet to get in the shower

Very nice place close to town centre
    • Large Double Room

I had originally booked a single room for my elderly Mother in law but she wanted a double room. She had a standard double which was a bit small although the single room was very small. She found the bathroom a bit small. We had a large double which was fine. It was very clean and was comfortable. The owners were very friendly and were happy to help you with any problems which we only had one which was sorted with no problem. The breakfast did not start until 8.30 but if you got there any later there was not enough seating for every one and some people had to wait for the other people to finish before they could have there breakfast. Breakfast was a large choice and you could have what you liked. My Mother in law has to have dairy free and they had dairy free spread. My only comment on. the breakfast was that the bacon was not very hot but the rest of the breakfast was fine. Would stay again here as it was a short walk to town and they supplied you with parking permits. You have the Football club at the end of the road so do not know what it would be like if there was a match on. There is a social club at the end of the road on sat night heard a bit of noice but nothing too bad.

Lovely stay in a great location

My only slight criticism would be the bathroom could be modernised

Very friendly people, the bed was very comfy, excellent breakfast, great location, very clean

Perfect guest house just a stones throw from the historic town of York.

Dark and quiet room which is most important, I got over 9 hours sleep! Fantastic breakfast, great staff, clean and comfortable and great location just a 10 minute walk in to town.

Lovely place and break, just needed to be closer to everything for me.

I struggled with location as difficulty with mobility and I was in the roof top room after five flights of stairs which wasn’t best for me.

Saragossa and owners ere really nice, friendly and helpful

Had a great time. Nick & Sarah were very, very hospitable.

Just 2 things. T.V. was too high up giving me headaches so didn't watch it for last 2 nights & no headaches. Pillows too hard so not comfortable sleep.

Nick & Sarah very welcoming. Good breakfast. Staff very friendly. Would definitely recommend to family & friends

If you want a value for money stay in York then you cannot go wrong at the Grange Lodge.

NA

Stayed two nights with friends for sightseeing week-end. Excellent location and easy parking. Very friendly people. Room perfect for our requirements and very comfy bed. Can't fault the breakfast. Would stay there again.

A lovely break. As it was my birthday.we would visit again and recommend to anyone

The shock that my booking a standard double room wasn't for 2 people! That's what I thought I'd booked. Luckily we were accommodated with no bother. I wasnt the first person to have been confused by booking.com booking procedures.

Friendly helpful people. Nice quiet short walk from centre. Food fine everything made a wonderful stay

Relatively inexpensive, clean, tidy and easily accessible.

The room and en-suite were a bit smaller than I'd expected and the en-suite sink was a bit too small to be altogether practical. However a bigger one would probably take up too much space. I think next time I'd ask for a room that doesn't overlook the road as it could be a bit noisy especially with the window open.

Great breakfast and friendly helpful staff. Owner provided on-street parking permit for the duration which was a nice touch. Lots of great pubs and restaurants in the locale and close enough to the city centre to make it an enjoyable but not too strenuous walk.

Very Disappointing for the money

25 min wait for a table at breakfast constantly have to ask for a glass,cup etc orange not out have to ask for a drink bb looks tired not a £95 anight guest house. room very small as was tv no blackout curtains really needed to light

Very nice breakfast

Well situated, friendly staff, great breakfast

My only issue was that the room wasn't ready when I arrived, even though I specified my arrival time when booking. That said, they did let me use the room to change and freshen up, and finished cleaning after I went out to meet friends.

The single room was definitely "bijou" but it had an ensuite with shower and air conditioning which was all I really needed. If you just need somewhere to rest your head and aren't going to spend a lot of time in your room, it's perfectly adequate. The staff are friendly and the breakfast was great. While it was a bit more expensive than I would like, it was pretty reasonable considering it was a bank holiday weekend. Well situated, only a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre, and about 20 minutes to the train station.

We had a great time but I always enjoy visiting York
    • Large Double Room

Can't complain about anything except one pub that charged £13.50 for two glasses of wine! We won't be going there again.

Easy access to everything including the train station. Friendly people in the pubs and restaurants.

Warm, friendly staff and excellent location, 5 star stay!!

Warm welcome and good conversation, excellent breakfast service with friendly staff. Room clean and comfortable, breakfast top quality and lots of information to hand - short walk to centre of attractions

Situated in an excellent area close to the centre. Staff were so friendly and room was lovely!

The bed was extremely comfortable!! Staff were so polite and couldn’t do more for us, felt very homely! Breakfast was excellent and had a great menu to choose from. Would definitely recommend this place! The owner is very friendly and made us feel so welcome and at home. Will be returning!

Great stay in York

We had a great stay at this location , the host's are overly people and nothing is to much trouble. Great breakfast, comfy beds and excellent location. (I'll be back next time in York)

Uncomfortable... and disappointed that the reviews were good, but i guess anyone can write them.

The fact that we had to keep mentioning things that didnt work. Some things we let slide. No lounge area to sit & relax. Terrified of getting any marks on the bed linnen, or towels.

The breakfast was very nice.

Homy and comfy English hostel, with perfect breakfast,...

The only downside is the en suite is a bit small but that’s still acceptable.

Homy and comfy English hostel, with perfect breakfast, lovely host, excellent location.

Breakfast was good and room very clean

Lady owner needs to relax and stop stressing guests about the eventuality of leaving stains on bed linen and towels

Breakfast was good and room very clean

Totally loved it should have stayed longer.

The staff were really friendly felt like a mum and dad away from home, the breakfasts were cooked really well and a great menu, my room was really nice clean and tidy with a lovely comfortable bed. Will be returning in next few months will definitely be recommending.

Small but clean and efficient.

The room was very small, but ok just to sleep in but not to spend much time in.

Nice home cooked breakfast with a good choice of menu. Good customer service from the owners.

My stay was very nice because of my hosts.

Fred was a very helpful host. His breakfast was the best I have experienced on my trip. He uses quality ingredients, extra touches (like preheated plates so the food is hot!); it is obvious that he loves to cook by the quality of the food.

Grange Lodge is a very good place to stay, comfortable and quiet.

The lights were low energy which is fine but they were quite dim, especially for reading in bed, which I like to do.

I expected a single bed but was given a double room which was very nice.

The staff were incredibly friendly and the guest house was...

The staff were incredibly friendly and the guest house was only a short distance from the city centre. I went with my boyfriend - we really enjoyed the full breakfast both mornings (we stayed Friday-Sunday) and would definitely go back if we were to visit York again.

Fantastic weekend away

No complaints

We had the dulux room at the top of the property and even though the stairs were a lot to handle it was worth every step. The room had everything that you needed plus extras. The bathroom was small but had a spa bath plus a TV. The whole hotel was very clean and just a short walk from the town center. The breakfast was very nice and the staff was happy to accommodate to how you prefer your breakfast, very friendly and I would be happy to book at the grange lodge again.

A perfect base for a Short Stay In York with a great host!

Not as a major negative, but bathroom sink a little small.

Excellent Location. Great Facilities. Perfect Host......Nick. Amazing Full English Breakfast!!!!

Friendly, clean, great breakfast, just hope for quiet neighbours!
    • Large Double Room

Our only gripe was the stud wall which divides the original old big room into different smaller rooms are terribly thin. Unfortunately the people in the adjoining room put their TV on at 6am on Saturday morning, as it was clearly attached to the dividing wall which our bed headboard was attached (screwed) to we could hear every word of the BBC news!

Friendly staff and great breakfasts. Ideal location for exploring York. Street parking with permit supplied by B&B was plentiful.

Clean, good location.

The hosts seemed to be very stingy with daft things like butter and toast, toilet rolls and milk cartons for a brew in the room. The TV in the room was the smallest I have ever seen.

The place was very clean throughout and the hosts tried very hard to make our stay a positive one. The room we stayed in was very small but adequate.

Excellent, would stay again!!

Room was a tad small, but it did have everything we needed!!

Staff were lovely. Room was comfy and clean. Breakfast was excellent. Bonus of just a short walk in to city centre.

Thoroughly enjoyable few days .. perfect 👌🏻

The room we had was too small , next time ( and we shall return to grange lodge ) we will ask for one of the bigger rooms

Owners fantastic .they make you feel so welcome and comfortable .. location was perfect .. 5 mins walk to town

nice location ....not worth the extra money for "superior" tiny room

51 steps up to the room 27 baked beans for breakfast VERY creaky stairs Very small "superior" room was not worth the extra money

Comfy bed ......quiet area ......only 10 min walk to York City Centre

Excellent value for 3 nights

The TV had rather shaky reception and I used my ipad which was better.

My room was tiny but everything was there. Breakfast excellent especially the first day when there was also a bowl of excellent fruit salad but that did not appear again!

The staff were lovely, always willing to help .

Room was small but suitable for our needs

The staff were lovely, always willing to help . The breakfast was excellent , catered for all needs and plenty of it .

The hosts were very friendly, the bed was very comfortable...

The room could have been more thoroughly cleaned.

The hosts were very friendly, the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was excellent- honestly would stay again just for breakfast!

Great place to stay

There was nothing we did not like.

Excellent place to stay in good location - only 10 minute walk to the centre. Room was clean and comfortable. Hosts very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Would definitely stay here again.

In need of refurbishment regarding to room 7

The room I was alicated was tired looking ,tiny and poorly decorated .

The location was good , 10 min walk to the centre of York. Parking facilities were on the road with a permit provided in the price

Only a short walk to the city centre but lovely and quiet at...

Not boutique or fancy if that's what you are looking for. Basic, clean and convenient.

Only a short walk to the city centre but lovely and quiet at night. Fabulous breakfast, including vegetarian, to set you up for the day. Proprietors knowledgeable, helpful and approachable.

Excellent B&B, great value for money, close to the city centre

Very nice B&B, clean and neat, comfy bed, nice heated room. Very friendly owners and stuff serving great breakfast. What makes it even better is that it is close to the city centre and you can park your car on the same street where the B&B is :)

Lovely city,amazing B & B staff,excellent location would stay again!!

Room decor update perhaps but not there to stay in room,bed was amazingly comfortable!!

Staff friendliness,customer service,breakfast amazing and check in excellent.excellent location

The staff were lovely, the cleanliness of the property was...

There was nothing not to like.

The staff were lovely, the cleanliness of the property was excellent and a fab location - only a 10 minute walk to York centre. We will definitely book here again.

Clean and very helpful staff.parking right on the doorstep.

The cleanest b@b I have stayed in.the breakfast was excellent,the room was a bit small but clean and fresh,little things like towels folded showed the owners cared.location is excellent.

Lovely Friday-Sunday stay for my 60th birthday treat.Good.

Lovely clean Guest House, made very welcome and nothing to much trouble. The breakfast was good and u only had to ask if you wanted more tea or toast. Bedroom small but very nice with double bed and very clean white linen. Bathroom with spa bath, shower, toiletries and a TV. Parking on road outside guest house with parking permit. Overall a lovely stay and would definately return if visiting York again.

lovely bed and breakfast, great location, lovely breakfast, would visit again and recommend
    • Large Double Room

The décor was a little dated but it was very clean and maintained so wasn't an issue at all.

The bed was very comfortable, plenty of room, good shower and breakfast was very good.

It was ok for one night apart from the insect bites I received during the night

There was nowhere to hang your coat or your bath towel. The walls in the room were covered in marks. Most importantly, I woke up in the morning covered in bites all over my left leg? I don't know whether they were flea bites of bed-bug bites, but I was covered and it took over a week for them to disappear.

The room was functional for one night

Grange Lodge was both comfortable and clean.

We arrived in York just after a very cold snap and the heating was on a little high for us. It would have been useful to have some hooks on the doors on which to hang our coats. The lead on the kettle was not long enough; we had to put the kettle on the chair to make a cup of tea, which was a little inconvenient.

Grange Lodge was both comfortable and clean. We slept very well and the breakfasts were lovely and quite varied. The owners were very helpful; nothing was too much trouble for them. The Grange is situated within easy walking distance to the centre of York.

Had a lovely stay

Room a bit on the small side, ok for one night. B&B could do with a bit of TLC

Great location for walking into York, quiet area and good on street parking. Bed very comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic.

Friendly, cosy bed and breakfast close to the heart of York city!

I highly recommend the Grange Lodge - it is a fab bed and breakfast! Great location, close to the city and everything York has to offer. Nick and Sarah had just returned from holiday and were so lovely! Breakfast was delicious and a very friendly vibe in the dining room. Heating worked a treat as it was frreezing in York over the weekend. I was travelling on my own and had a great time! Many thanks

Xmas weekend away

There was nothing we didn't like about the grange lodge.

Great location.owners and staff were very friendly.the breakfast was really good and plenty of choice.the grange was very clean and cosy and very good value for money.we have booked again for may and we only left there this morning.

Great location, good value, comfortable room

Small bathroom but not an issue for me. Room was very warm which I like but there are fans

Great location, clean, friendly staff, great breakfast. Single room with double bed, nicely decorated. Small bathroom fine for 1 person. Very comfortable bed.

A good base for a short visit to York centre

Shower a bit temperamental.

Very welcoming host, great location only 10 mins walk to the minster and city walls, warm room, good quality lovely well presented breakfast, very comfy bed.

Ok

To be fare the room was a family room not what I asked for , the bath was dirty and bath room small , we were right at the top and the owners to be fare were never seen and just not very welcoming at all , the cleaning staff were nicer

The breakfast was nice and the fact that it was with in walking distance

Okay

Breakfast excellent a little out of city centre to walk room okay for one night stay bedding lovely and clean but hard pillows The Christmas market and lights fantastic

Tasty breafast

Lots of flights of stairs. Should be clearer on the booking.com site that property is not suitable for pysically challenged - I am visually impaired. Threatning letter handed on arrival regarding damage, towels and bed linen. This tarnished a warm welcome.

Excellent scrambled eggs at breakfast. Comfortable bed. Spotlessly clean. Good modern bathroom.

Really good. Clean and tidy

Friendly staff. We have been to the Grange Lodge approx 4 times now and always found it clean. Breakfast was nice, you could ask for extras with no problems. Walking distance to the centre about 10 min

Stayed in single room for one night only.

Stayed in single room for one night only. Hosts very welcoming. Single room very small but clean with good bedding and towels. Shower worked well and coffee and tea provided. Breakfast very nice with good vegetarian options and offers of tea/toast refills. Owner friendly and informative. Would definately book again. Only 8 min walk to town Sarah

Had such a wonderful stay for my partners birthday.

Had such a wonderful stay for my partners birthday. We were supposed to stay for one night but couldn’t resist and booked another night! The room was lovely and cosy, it was nice to relax in the whirlpool bath after a day of walking. Ran by a lovely friendly couple! Breakfast was great too. Would recommend to anyone!

A good weekend with family.

A warm welcome from the owners who were really helpful and keen to ensure we had everything we needed. Fabulous breakfast, lots of choice. Good location.

The owners were very welcoming.

I had a very small single room with ensuite, but I could only access the bed by walking sideways sandwiched between the bed and wall. There was a small tv on the wall next to the door facing me but I was straining to see it. The room was slightly overpriced at £52.20, as I could not really manouvre and it was extremely claustaphobic. The bed itself was very clean but uncomfortable that I couldnt sleep and was aches and pains with a stiff neck the next morning. I have stayed in rooms of similar price with twin or double bed but a larger room than this, therefore the price of this tiny room should be reconsidered.

The owners were very welcoming. It was very clean. Breakfast was good.

Very pleasant stay in a very clean house with friendly people.

Room was rather tired looking and the ensuit was badly needing updating!!!

Excellent location for sightseeing. Very, very clean. Comfortable bed. Lovely staff and owners.

Good.

Room decor a little dated. Ensuite toilet and shower area way too small. The sink area in the bedroom is off putting. Thanks

Good location, great breakfest.

Great place
    • Large Double Room

Great B&B. Lovely place to stay. Five minutes walk away from all attractions and city. Breakfast great, with choice available. Couldn't do enough for you. Parking pass available so you can park free of charge. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting a break in York without breaking the bank.

Good choice of breakfast, even provided something not on the...

En suite a bit small in our room. Room could have done with a little tlc.

Good choice of breakfast, even provided something not on the menu for the children. Beds were comfortable and clean. Good location for city, and friendly owners and staff.

Perfect stay

Perfect stay. Staff were lovely and friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. The place was spotless and well decorated with lovely comforting features. Food was excellent with plenty of choices. Ideal location with only a few minutes walk into the centre. I will definitely be staying again and recommending to all my family and friends.

Convenient due to distance from the centre of York ....not memorable.

An early breakfast before running a marathon would have been good. Microwaved porridge was offered to my running partner but the owner slept in so he got nothing. I didn't want to run for 26 miles with keys in my shorts pocket, but the owner would not look after them .

Very nice cleaning lady...Very sociable

Lovely owners and staff poor soundproofing small rooms beyond cosy.

LACK OF SOUNDPROOFING AT NIGHT I am not quite sure if the owners realise how terrible the soundproofing is between the rooms. On my second night I felt as though I had front row seats at a porn movie with all the antics going on either above or beside my room or even both! It was V-E-R-Y embarrassing at breakfast the next morning.... I am not at all prudish and these guests were a consenting married couple but I don't need to hear every thrust and groan as if I am sharing the room with them! I rest my case. Especially as it cost £134 and really was poor value, except it was a busy weekend in York and I presume they could charge what they want. The rooms are extremely tight.

The owners are a lovely couple and are working hard to upgrade this establishment. Thanks to them for all their kindness as well as their staff.

This stay was to celebrate a 60th Birthday. Thanks to the above it ruined our celebration.

Climbing 42 steps to get to the room. The bed was extremely uncomfortable we had disturbed sleep. Because of the shape of the bath the shower was difficult to stand under. The breakfast was cold. On two occasions there was no table for us to sit at so back up 42 steps and waited for a call when one became avail. On giving constructive feed back on our experience the reply/response was "not interested just pay your bill"

The Initial greeting on arrival was good.

a wonderful value for money B&B a 10 minute walk from York centre. lovely hosts would stay again .on

A lot of stairs to climb to get to 3rd floor room didn't know until we booked. Table lamp didn't work beside friends bed had a job to move a spare one.

The breakfast eggs were fresh and wonderful. Good selection of cooked food for breakfast. Hosts friendly and full of information on where to visit.

being charged for a luxury room up 5 flights of stairs in...

being charged for a luxury room up 5 flights of stairs in the roof space that was small with small bathroom to squeeze in isn't luxurious, but fine as a budget room.

Generally comfortable, easy walking distance to the sights & entertainments of York

The walls of the rooms were not soundproof at all, and on my first night the people in the room next door came home after midnight and made noise until after 2am, I could hear them just talking quietly, which did not impress me at all. However the owners are doing work on the property, so this could be improved soon.

The cooked breakfasts were delicious, and they were able to offer me gluten-free toast with my meal. The heated towel rail in the bathroom was appreciated.

Had a great time in York love it!

Room was very Small double room & tiny bathroom. Breakfast room wasn't particularly comfortable

The hosts & staff were very friendly and helpful.