Reviews of Grange Rochester Hotel 4 stars

69 Vincent Square, Westminster Borough, London, SW1P 2PA, United Kingdom

#451 of 977 hotels in London

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Enjoyable

Wish the room had refrigerator .

The staff were very helpful. The room was spacious with a sitting area. It was easy to walk or get to buses. Close to Buckingham Palace and Victoria station.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Great location but room could be improved

Very uncomfortable Murphy bed instead of regular bed. Our room was on first floor and street noise disrupted sleep because we had to leave windows open due to warm weather.

Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast options

Beware
    • Executive Double Room

Little tired looking,balcony had cigarette butts on the floor but when reported they reacted quickly to remove but then should expect it to be cleaned. Despite stating in my booking that I would arrive between 2130 and 2230 I found out a few days later that the hotel charged me for 1 nights accommodation with my bank...then arrived as arranged and got charged for both nights making it 3 nights in total..6 days later my bank still awaiting confirmation that they can put the held money back into my account....pleed is if you ask for info and receive it....arriving late...then don’t grab my money before that time....caused me a lot of grief in that my funds have remained unavailable

Very quiet location.hardly any traffic noise which surely was a bonus

OK

The room was smaller than I expected, but the bed was even much smaller. In a room like that, it would have been better not to put in a bath tub, and to have a slightly wider bed. The mattress does not reach the head of the bed and phone and glasses fell between with grave difficulty to retrieve. WiFI was very unstable and seemed to be switched off in the night. There are no sockets next to the bed. But as I indicated above, the location is excellent, and some staff are also excellent

Good hotel in a superb location for tourists.

Exactly what we needed. We liked it all.

Location superb. Room very comfortable. Very quiet area. Room service very good. Economical enough. We would definitely go back to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

The stay was very good, great location for visiting London's major attractions.

There were two separate beds, just like we ordered, but the distance between them was about 5 cm, so it was more like a queen bed, not two separate ones as we expected.

I had a very comfortable stay.

Nothing .

The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. Good sized TV . Nice and quiet. Close to Victoria .Linen changed daily. Would recommend .

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

I'm not happy.

We received a room in the basement, or rather a room that was half underground. Although there was a fence outside, there were no bars or anything to keep an intruder from easily jumping that fence and easily being in our room. When we went into the room it was damp and smelled moldy. When we went to the area between the bed and the bath, the carpet was totally saturated with water. There was no air conditioning in the room, so because of the above security issues we were left with a moldy, hot, damp room. We complained and were told the first night that there were no other rooms available. We complained the 2nd night and were moved to a much better room and were told that the room was shut down and being fixed. That night we saw guests in the room as we did the next day also. This leads me to believe that the room has never been fixed and regardless it will always be a damp, below ground room with no air conditioning and very dubious security. Although the hotel and our other room was clean, because of the above and the fact that I believe they never fixed anything, I would never return to this property.

The hotel is in a good location, shops and pubs are relatively close. The hotel is clean and the staff can be friendly and helpful.

All in all we had a delightful stay thanks to my wife who was very persistent in seeing the manager.

The receptionist who was very unhelpful.

We got an up grade after seeing the manager about our initial booking.We arrive and was shown our room which was on the top floor in the attic.My wife is not tall and the only window was a sky light which you couldn't see out of.As we were staying for two night, playing golf and celebrating my birthday we felt let down. We booked a double room and had two single beds.After speaking to the receptionist who stated if we were not happy there were other hotels in the area! we ask to see the manager.He was very helpful and moved us to a 2nd floor double room over looking the 18th green, it was beautiful.

It was OK we only stayed for one night it would have been more if a problem if we had stayed longer.

The rooms were extremely hot to the extreme we had trouble sleeping. The hotel provided fans but they really need to look at portable airconditioners in this weather.

Staff were very helpful but I had a problem understanding what they were saying.

Wonderful location, nice hotel but too hot for summertime

The beds were hard which led to some achy wake ups and restlessness. The booking site said there was air conditioning, but there is none. I'm sure in the cooler months it isn't so bad, but with both windows open and two fans supplied by the hotel; it was almost unbearably hot. Everyone was sweating profusely all night even stripped down with the fan directly on us. I would not recommend in the summer months. Also the towels smelled strongly of chemicals. They were very clean but the smell was really weird.

The location was amazing! 12 min walk to the palace and plenty of food and shopping all with 15 min walk. The staff was great and very helpful. They have a nice little restaurant and bar. The room itself was bigger than expected and fit four comfortably. Charming decoration and exterior.

Good location and comfy beds.

* No air con. * Rooms facing the street are rather noisy in the morning when rubbish is collected. * The price for breakfast was excessive and we chose not to get it in the hotel.

The hotel was 7 minute walk from Victoria tube station and relatively easy to find. The beds were comfy and the room clean.

Overpriced
    • Executive Double Room

The room was very squashy, there was no ventilation or cooling and the room was uncomfortably hot. While the staff were polite they were not friendly

Location was good

A pleasant city break.

Great location near the Victoria Station, Buckingham Palace and Westminster. The staff are very friendly, helpful and polite. If you want do drink a very good cup of coffee or capuccino in London, this is the right place. The hotel is also very clean. Each time you return from your visits back to the hotel everything is spotless.

The hotel is very close to Victoria station and to Westminster. The staff were very helpfull.

No airconditionig at the hot summer days, no bar or refrigirate, very small room.

The bed was o.k and i liked the coffe /tea maker. I always returned to a clean room with new cleaning towels, and could make a shower with hot water.

6.0
    No tea or coffee in the room when ask for a cup of tea and...

No tea or coffee in the room when ask for a cup of tea and coffee the staff had no idea had to go to the garage at the end of the road for a drink very poor

The bell boy was lovely it’s a small traditional hotel old...
    • Executive Double Room

There was one particular lady who was very very missable when you arrive at a hotel you want a smiling face This lady was extremely rude also check out at 11 am Extremely early for a hotel in central London .

The bell boy was lovely it’s a small traditional hotel old fashioned but well stored for something so small The balcony was my main reason for choosing this location but unfortunately no smoking was allowed Bar was 24 hours

Excellent location, very professional staff, comfortable...

Bath tube did not work well and even though I mentioned at reception, nothing changed upon my return and promised intervention which made the shower experience not the best.

Excellent location, very professional staff, comfortable rooms in a good state despite the age of furniture.

All around good experience.

The bathroom light kept going out. No air-condition, which means that the rooms get stuffy when it’s hot.

Helpful and friendly staff. Excellent bed. Beautiful building and very nice rooms for the price. Central location, in walking distance of many interesting sites.

Poor value for money

Over-priced for a very small triple room - not exactly a family room. No air conditioning. Disappointing for the price.

Reasonable location, 15-20 min walk from Buckingham Palace and not far from Victoria tube. Plenty of eateries a short walk away.

Would not stay here again

Very very slow check in process and then my son was given an already occupied room. We were tired after flight and train so this was really annoying. We booked 2 singles but my room was a good sized family room for 4 and my son had a tiny box single room.

Comfortable bed and nice bed linen. Tea/coffee making facility in room. Windows openable.

I will definitely be recommending this hotel to friends & relatives ..

The bathroom floor & bath a bit slippery !....But I am scared of falling at the moment..

Really clean comfortable rooms & beds.Recently having had a knee replacement,we found your staff we’re so kind & helpful right from getting out of the taxi to suggesting somewhere for Sunday lunch & tours to take...Exelent value ...

Very enjoyable

Perhaps a shower would have given more bathroom space but didn’t spoil our stay

It was v friendly we were upgraded to a lovely family room. It was v reasonably priced easy to get to where we wanted to go. V quiet area.

It was Less Value for Much more Money!

The room was too tight with tiny windows and was hot even with the air conditioning on which was not a modern type as it did not feel cool during a hot day! The breakfast was an extortion £26! I have been to 5 star hotels with much more variety and much less cost!!!

The Only thing i liked was the location to be honest!

Great location, very friendly people, very quiet. Good value for money, would definitely use again.

The bed was comfortable but the pillows were awful!

The location was great, very very quiet, you wouldn't have thought you were in London, very nice area.

A shame that I have left bags there and have to return otherwise I would never stay there again

Stayed one night and returning for another night after a bus tour. Had to leave two bags in their storage and they charge 5 GBP per piece to store - GBP70!!!!

Lovely old world charm hotel!

Nothing much really, could be a bit cheaper off season but then this is prime central London and one of the better hotels around so couldn’t ask for more!

Close to everything, very comfortable clean rooms and lots of old world charm in the decor. Polite and helpful staff.

Excellent hotel experience.

The only negative I can think of it that the shower sprayed quite a bit of water into the rest of the bathroom.

The hotel is in a nice location, not too far a walk from Victoria Station. The room was larger than we expected. The twin beds were very comfortable. And the staff were very helpful. They let us keep our bags there after checkout, while waiting for our departure train. Overall, this was an excellent stay. Will use this hotel again.

Ok but didn't have meals

Bedroom pretty worn. Old Bathroom cord window 'painted' partly open and unmovable! Had to cover with towels or people looking through oposite rooms would have had a right view.

It's comfortable hotel in a good location with some parts should be improved.

The breakfast was not as good as I expected.

The landline in the room is not working. The room service guy was quite nice and hardworking. The staff was generally helpful but some of them seemed not understand the business well enough. It seems different customers came on a different deal, which added on the difficulty for the staff to work things out. The buffet breakfast was very basic, doesn't match a 4* at all. The coffee, fruit salad are good. Since my breakfast was not included in the booking, I paid 24 pounds to get an English breakfast ( This was mentioned when I booked it, so quite fair. But my expectation was too much better. Also it was confusing to see on the menu, there are two different price, one for buffet breakfast, one for English breakfast, don't quite understand). Well, I guess nobody asked me to have breakfast there, I was not feeling well and not blathered to go out, so I guess i paid for the convenience.

Ok for what we needed it for.

Breakfast far too expensive considering what we paid for the room. We enjoyed a mug of coffee and almond croissants at Cafe Nero for just under £10.

Bed comfortable liked the view

Fine for a night or so, wouldn’t recommend for a long vacation.

Very old , shabby and in need of renovation. Peeling paint in the bathroom, shower glass guard leaking (gets the floor all wet.Small, uncomfortable beds.

Location and very helpful and friendly staff.

Beautiful hotel with much character.

Room slept 4 but ONLY one chair! No air conditioning - fans okay his holiday but wouldn't be good enough in summer.

Beautiful old style hotel with character. Good location to subway and also walking distance to tourist attractions - Parliament Buildings, Thames, ....

Alright for short stay

The bathroom was very cramped. Shower glass didn't cover the water from shower. Therefore water everywhere. Bedroom dated. No mini bar.no hairdryer. In need of TLC

Staff very helpul. Beds very comfy. Great location. And my daughter says the lift was nice!

lovely classy old hotel close to Victoria Station

Wifi was a little unreliable and prone to drop outs. I found the room a little stuffy and uncomfortable,was unable to open any windows to freshen the air inside.

Excellent service and helpful staff. The hotel is a lovely beautiful old grand hotel with lovely classy interior. Very convenient location close to Victoria Station

Great for walking the main tourist attractions and a charming park setting.
    • Executive Single Room

The dining room was cramped. The continental breakfast was expensive and underwhelming. My room was on the lobby level near the front area and there was hustle and bustle of staff at all hours.

Location and the building’s architecture was pleasing and the interior was quaint. The concierges were excellent.

Nice clean and spacious room.

We struggled with our baby's milk, she is on just regular cows milk so bought some from the shop down the road but couldn't store it in the fridge in our room we were told it's a mini bar not a fridge and that we couldn't store it there, I explained it's just regular milk so just a drink I needed to keep chilled but was told I would have to open an account to get the key - not good for a baby waking in the night! We had to leave the milk at the restaurant but no one seemed to understand what my husband was talking about when he went to get it the next morning and had to wait ages

Nice clean and spacious room. The bed was nice and big, the terrace/balcony was lovely and big my little one loved crawling around on it and it had a nice view of the cricket pitch. It would've been nice to have some chairs to sit on for the terrace though as it was such a big space and was a lovely sunny day we would've sat out there in the evening. We appreciated the travel cot and it was a good brand too

Excellent value for money.

Spacious rooms. Lovely towels. Comfy bed. Easy location. I didn't eat there so can't really comment on the facilities of that sort.

Not worth the £££

There was No AC, the room was a smelly and hot when we got inside. The window frames in the room had been freshly painted, so the paint fumes were very strong, I had a headache within 20 mins of being in the room from the fumes. The bed is a very small double bed, and the hotel all in all is very outdated.

Location was good, Santander bike rack just outside hotel, can bike to Buckingham Palace in 25 mins.

no space in the room

room was small and nowhere to put your suitcase or stuff. 1 small built in wardrobe that already had stuff in there like a fan, extra blankets. for this reason I probably would not stay here again as it was too uncomfortable.

great location, lovely staff

Great location, clean rooms, very friendly and helpful...

The staff in the reception could be more kind, there are no shelves in the closets, there are not enough sockets in the rooms

Great location, clean rooms, very friendly and helpful concierges, strong and stable WiFi

All in all, It was very good.
    • Executive Twin Room

Electrical outlets available in the room were lacking. For example; nothing bedside.

Concierge in general was really good. Juan in particular was fantastic. The front desk was staff was good and we had no specific complaints but they did not seem as customer service driven as the concierge service.

Perfectly satisfactory

Uncomfortable bed, tv poor signal on many channels, bathroom a little tatty but clean, door appeared to have been forced open

Clean, quiet, good location

Excellent!

I like how very relaxing the atmosphere is. Staff are friendly and the bed was perfect! Comfort and relaxed--- exactly what i need for my long walk that day!!! I will surely be here again but please make sure the place will always be clean, tidy and well presented, :) a short walk from the victoria station :) see you soon xx elevator is fast and very posh ♡♡♡

The bed was rather comfortable, the room silent, the wifi...

The bathroom should have a shower and not a bath. The room and bed are very small in size.

The bed was rather comfortable, the room silent, the wifi fast, and - foremost - the location is great. Walking distance to Victoria station and in a nice neighbourhood. It's also very close to some nice and honest priced restaurants. Overall, I would stay again.

Reception staff unhelpful/unable. Bed a “put you up”- very uncomfortable. I have visited Hotel many times, but no recognition of loyalty. Seem to be penalised in terms of room allocation (inconvenient top floor not served by lift or basement) if you a good rate through Booking.com

Good location. Concierge staff friendly.

Great hotel

Breakfast could have been included as it isn't the cheapest hotel

10 mins walk from Victoria station , staff couldn't do enough and room was fabulous

Nice

Cleaning could have been a bit better blood Mark on wall curtain needed to be reattached to rail over all clean

Staff were great location good easy to get to bus strait to Waterloo outside

Concierge and bell staff were exceptional.

Reception staff were fine--seemed to be focused only doing their exact job description--nothing extra.

Concierge and bell staff were exceptional. Courteous and helpful, their duties ranged from staffing the bar to carrying your bags. One bellman brought me a coffee while I was waiting for my taxi in the lobby. They were always accessible for the business center. The hotel has a lot of character and could not be better located for accessing all of London's sites and government offices and institutions. As you would expect in this part of the city, the cost of a room is high (but not as high s many others) and the rooms are small. The hotel has "cozy" feel to it with overstuffed furniture and a small comfortable bar where you can work on your laptop or gather with a few friends.

The staff were excellent and very helpful, the beds were...

It was a bit out dated, very old, didn’t feel like a 4 star hotel, there was a few broken things in the room and the bathroom ceiling had mould

The staff were excellent and very helpful, the beds were very comfy and the location was great as it is in walking distance to Westminster

Could do better

Poor general maintenance: toilet holder hanging off wall; dripping shower in fellow guest's room meant she had to transfer to other wing of hotel, which was inconvenient.

Friendly and helpful staff, especially in restaurant

The location was great.

Rooms very small. Almost no room for my suitcases. Staff at the front desk were adequately helpful, but did not go out of their way to help. Concierge and bell staff were much better.

The location was great. Close to Victoria, Westminster, etc. The place has great character. You really feel as if you could be in England in the 19th C.

Comfortable stay in a well situated hotel.

The rooms aren't huge but for a single traveller I thought it was more than adequate.

I was upgraded from a single to a double room which was nice. Nice little bar in which to relax.i thought it was well located.

Good location and staff but not sure we'll book again.

Room booked could do with some updating and on the small side. Bar was shut on a Saturday night and was quoted £24 per person if we wanted breakfast, needless to say we didn't bother.

Staff were helpful and informative.

Great location but noisy

Bathroom not as described. V tired and shabby. Poor quality toiletries. Traffic noise audible most of night. Room description was inaccurate. From other reviews possibly the rooms overlooking the square were nicer and quieter.

Great location. In a side street. Public areas well appointed . Good quality towels. Quite comfortable beds.

Functionally adequate but not comforting.

Staff were not greatly interested in talking to us, and did not offer help with heavy cases up stairs, the lift only went to the floor below ours. Bathroom had pink algae in between the tiles, and there were areas that hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Fittings were rusty/corroded and generally felt scabby. Sheets had been cleaned but had a couple of minor stains.

Nice Building, cool lift, good wifi.

Nice quiet location.

Hotel looking quite tired. Fixtures and fittings showing their age. Bed was hard and a little uncomfortable.

Nice quiet location. Away from the main noise and traffic of the city, but close enough to be in Central London in 15 mins.

Wet Paint

Room 409- Single Mattress was broken in four places. When I sat down it collapsed under my weight. The two radiators are weak so the room is cold in February especially as the ceiling is high and the exterior facing wall is long. Only sheets and a thin quilted blanket are provided on the bed. The two windows only open an inch so very little fresh air in the room. Unknown to me at the time the room had been painted two days ago and the smell of this made the room stuffy. I could only sit in this room for two hours before unfortunately having to abandon my weekend plans and travel through the night to go home. The prospect of lying on a sad broken mattress didn’t appeal. I got a reasonable rate on Booking.com however an uncomfortable room is as useful to me as a chocolate tea pot. The hotel staff are charming but refurbishing my room in an hour was not of course in their powers. Maybe in Summer with a brand new mattress and wider opening windows this room could work.

Friendly Staff. Great location for a conference I was attending.

Good location, uncomfortable beds, decent prices

The room was rather old so a bit dusty in certain spots. The beds were also rather uncomfortable, dipping from weight. I would often wake up with a sore back. I didn't ask for any pillows or additional bedding, so that's definitely a miss from me, though.

The location is accessible -- just a short 10min walk from Victoria station. They even had our room ready at 10am, much earlier than the 3pm check-in time. Staff were courteous throughout our stay and made us feel welcome.

Would recommend to others.

The view from the hotel room wasn’t ideal and the lack of plug sockets was also a problem.

Good value for money and good location. Efficient service from staff.

Good location.

Room had two double beds but one bed against the wall and the other against the radiator! Very thin duvet so we had to take one from the other bed as the room was a bit cool. The bathroom was tiny, very cramped and in serious need of redecoration. A very large sash window which made it drafty. Radiator not working either. Flaking paint and mould around window. Breakfast very expensive - £24 for FE and £18 for continental so we did not take it.

Good location. Bar food and service was good and value for money. Helpful staff on check in.

Nice period property in convenient location

We initially had a room on the top floor, and it was a bit small and dark. I was pretty unhappy, so staff found us a room on the 1st floor which was much brighter and bigger, and it made a huge difference for our time there.

The hotel was well-located, with really nice rooms, good character to the property, and staff that really went the extra mile to make sure we had a great stay. Comfy bed, marble bathroom. We were staying for the weekend and I had a meeting at Westminster on Monday so it was perfect.

Affordable luxury

I was warned of "quiet" building work. Building work was loud as room directly below was having new windows put in. This lasted most of the day Friday and all day Saturday. Alarm randomly went off at 2am one night and was not spoken of by staff the next day. Door key stopped working randomly and locked me out, however this was quickly fixed by staff.

Very helpful staff especially when my door key stopped working, this was fixed in about 10 minutes. Lovely clean and comfortable room, good location.

Most enjoyable and comfortable and I would definitely recommend it.

I don’t eat big breakfasts so it would be good if there had been an alternative cheap breakfast - tea/coffee and toast or croissant. We ate elsewhere because of that.

Attractive hotel - different from most in style. Very comfortable and peaceful.

Average

The woman on reception was quite rude when we asked questions and barely spoke to us which was a shame as she doesn't seem to reflect the high standards that the hotel itself has.

I liked how the pictures online reflected the hotel rooms

Very friendly, courteous and helpful staff.

The bed was very comfortable, although a little small.

Very friendly, courteous and helpful staff. The hotel was clean, cosy and very comfortable. Location was nice and quiet, with our room looking out over a playing field, while just a 10 minute walk from the center of the city and the major tourist attractions.

The hotel has a nice entrance and lobby and is in a very...

My room was one of the closest to the lobby, which meant that it was sometimes a bit noisy - not only from guests talking in the corridors, but also from loud receptionists talking to eachother.

The hotel has a nice entrance and lobby and is in a very good location. The staff were friendly and let me leave my suitcase for the whole day in the luggage room.

Great location. 5 min walk from Victoria station.

Room wasn't as big as expected and bathroom was a bit small but wasn't a problem. A little old fashioned in style/decor.

Location was great, staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Hotel was very quiet and comfortable.

Polite and helpful staff, clean room, great area (although I...

I requested a room with a double bed and I received one with two large single-ones. I requested view to the park (I was told in the website that there is one) and I received a room with a small window looking at a scaffolding. Bathroom was small and cold. The most important, the price for breakfast, which was not included in the price...24 pounds per person per night for the english breakfast. Seriously guys? 24 pounds???

Polite and helpful staff, clean room, great area (although I should praise the area for that!), hotel in close proximity to everything you wanted to go to. Great value for money, if you choose not to have breakfast!

The professional and helpful staff.

Breakfast was £24 , which was extortionate! I noticed that the bar was always empty , clearly due to high prices.

The professional and helpful staff.Lovely decor.

I'd stay here again.

I didn't like that I was unable to get a minifridge to store baby food despite my request.

Location was excellent (15 minute walk from Parliament and Buckingham Palace; 20 minutes from Trafalgar Square and 8 minutes from Victoria Palace Theater) and the price reasonable considering hotel costs in London. The room was a bit dated but that wasn't really an issue. Beds were comfortable and staff was super accommodating.

Good location, close to Victoria Station.

Decor seemed a bit dated but could all be part of the charm of the hotel, some sockets were faulty.

Good location, close to Victoria Station. The room was a good size, comfortable bed and a great room service menu. Perfect for a short stay.

Old but clean and very well placed

Is an old hotel, shabby but if u don't mind old is cool

Great staff ! And the hotel is very close to the victoria station. Very clean not bad value

It was okay I would stay there again if needed but would look around for other hotels first

Room service was good food but it was not consistent if you order multiple days. There where some loose tiles in the bathroom.

Where the hotel is situated is great and it’s not a long walk from anywhere with a tube station close by.

Good value for it's price

It's a bit dusty. Rooms equipment was a bit old and some things in the bathroom were broken.

The location - it's 5 minutes walk from Victoria station. All personal it's very pleasant. You can open a window to get some fresh air. Very good option for it's price.

Browse Grange Rochester Hotel traveller photo gallery