Reviews of Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa 5 stars

1 Festival Square, Edinburgh, EH3 9SR, United Kingdom

#14 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

Enjoyed Edinburgh can't wait to return.
    • King Room with Castle View

Tried to book three times direct with Sheraton and gave up in the end and booked through booking.com.After spending two weeks at the Sheraton in Portugal I expected the standards to be the same and they really were not. Although the hotel was clean it is very tired in the room we stayed.The staff and the concierge were excellent very friendly and helpful and the location is perfect ,On the photographs for the hotel it looks nice and bright and contemporary but it was dull and dismal in the room we stayed in not enough lighting and very noisy on a night.

Excellent staff helpful concierge and perfect location for all tourist attractions/

Throughly enjoyed our stay here, our room was lovely and the...
    • Classic King Room

Throughly enjoyed our stay here, our room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. The staff were courteous and very helpful. We received an upgrade room and a free complimentary drink due to us celebrating a special birthday. Thank you Sheraton, we will definitely be back.

The spa was incredible, the staff could not be more helpful...

The tv was a bit dated.

The spa was incredible, the staff could not be more helpful every member of staff we interacted with went above and beyond to make our stay perfect, and the veriaty of food at breakfast was amazing

We thought it was fantastic.
    • Classic King Room

We thought it was fantastic. Felt it was quite expensive, but understandable due to edinburgh fringe. Would definitely stay here again, just maybe at a different time of the year.

bed as comfortable as ever. colours as dull as ever.
    • Classic King Room

Aspect outside of the windows! My room overlooked a concrete courtyard full of waste bins, which seemed to be emptied by noisy lorries all night long! In the early hours I heard a sound like an explosion, but it turned out to be a very large lorry being cleared of rubbish!

room very clean an shining but T.V limited - most programmes marked something like 'programmes not available' & if travelling alone, makes for a dull evening. When away from home, there's nothing I like better than a comfy bed, a newspaper, and T.V. with a cup of hot chocolate! The staff are always smiling, and when I mentioned the noise through the night outside my window, the reception took notes and promised to move me next time I stayed. They cannot do enough to please.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Nice stay but hotel needs attention to detail
    • Classic Twin Room

Noise all through the night from outside, couldn't sleep, shower head loose so and to hold it throughout shower. An extra £15 for parking the car, order an newspaper but didn't get one in the end.

It's fine but too expensive compare to value
    • Classic King Room

Very bad scrambled eggs and omelettes rest of the breakfast was OK Slow internet, have to use own mobile phone

Very friendly staff Nice and clean rooms

What an amazing hotel!
    • Club King Room with Club Lounge & Spa Access

What an amazing hotel! Had a brilliant stay here - room was spotless and well decorated and the Spa was a perfect way to relax at the end of the day! Staff were amazing; all very polite, helpful and welcoming. They went above and beyond to make our stay perfect.

Clean
    • Club Twin Room with Club Lounge and Spa Access

On arrival we checked in and were asked for ID even though I’d given them my booking credit card. Fine but felt uncomfortable. Left luggage and headed out till room ready. Then on collecting keys they asked for ID again. Lots of Americans checking in without being asked to prove who the are! It made me feel uncomfortable and I’ll be honest as if we were not trusted. It may be company policy but Maybe actually explaining that would help. Rather than making a guest feel self conscious on arrival.

Clean Quiet Comfy beds Nice staff Easy checking out.

Overall we enjoyed because of location and food quality and variety
    • Classic King Room

The Hygiene level was terrible and the wooden floor was sticky Outside window was completely not clean. In general, the overall cleaning level was way below standard

location is great and the size of room is good along with the quality of bed

The hotel was great, big room with a great view, staff was...
    • King Room with Castle View

The hotel was great, big room with a great view, staff was impeccable and I loved that they managed to meet my dietary requirements. I was very impressed they’ve managed to accommodate my vegan diet and they’ve done it so well, food was amazing

Outside noise
    • Classic King Room

From VERY early in morning loud "beeping" noise every so often from either trucks or maintenance vehicles. Couldnt sleep due to this.

Very nice rooms (apart from outside noise !) Good location and OUTSIDE consierge service....greeting and parking

• Club Twin Room with Club Lounge and Spa Access

Middle eastern food not included in the breakfast like humus, falafel ...etc.

Location. Close to shops & other tourists attractions. Nice staff. Very helpful.

Stress at check in then fine.
    • Twin Room with Castle View

Check in process terrible as booking through booking.com was made to be an issue at check in as we had not booked through the hotel, this caused significant issues.

The Eggs Royale in the breakfast were the best I've ever...

My rooms shower drain was stuck with a lot of hair and I obviously found out during a shower and had to clean it myself otherwise would have to stop taking the shower to call maintenance.

The Eggs Royale in the breakfast were the best I've ever eaten!

Underwhelming
    • Classic King Room

Mattress ripped and unsightly, Construction noise from close proximity. Very outdated and low quality AV and TV system.

Location and staff. Food was good too.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

True five star hotel with five star experience

Nothing to complain about

We have stayed at few five star hotels, but they haven't been on the same level as Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. The hotel's staff is very friendly, helpful and polite. Most importantly you never really have to wait in the reception because there is always lots of personnel. Housekeeping deserves a special mention because they clean your room when it's convenient for you. In general, the food is excellent at the hotel. The breakfast is delicious, and I especially recommend taking the full Scottish breakfast. There's plenty of dishes to select from. There's a chef who makes omelettes according to your taste. The room service is 24/7, which is very convenient if you are e.g. arriving late. The service is friendly and quick. We had the King Room with Castle View, which had a stunning view to the castle. The One Square Bar has excellent selection of gins, so go try them.

Overpriced for what you get.
    • Classic King Room

Overpriced for what you get. Breakfast was so so. View was a building site. That started their construction at 7am. Nothing the hotel can do about that but a heads up would have been nice.

Exceptional and will definitely be back
    • Classic King Room

From the reception ( Maria ) very friendly and knew excactly how to do her job and put us so at ease ... got us up graded with no added pressure ... bar service was amazing never seen anything like it normally these big expensive hotels lack in this department but not the Sheraton every 1 of the bar staff on the 7th floor on Saturday night couldn’t have been more helpful , polite and the flow of drinks just kept coming ... I will definitely recommend hotel and I for sure will definitely be back , the value of the upgrade was a no brainer with what was included, the hydro pool , spa and breakfast were amazing

4.0
    Zero value for money
    • King Room with Castle View

Shower had hair in shower on arrival Shower head brocken Room not cleaned until 5 30 p even after complaint on shower in the morning The breakfast à la carte ordered returned as not fresh Teapot at breakfast was broken!!

Room size and bed

Location was excellent

N/a

Location was excellent Check in was quick and informative on local places Breakfast was great especially being shown round exactly what was on offer Lovely attentive staff throughout

Good location. Nice pool and spa. Shame about breakfast and noise
    • Classic King Room

Booking.com advertised brekfast included when booking it was not. Jack hammer from building site next door waking us up at around 7.30.

Good location. Nice pool and spa

We love this hotel.

We booked 3 rooms with castle view, unfortunately we can't get rooms in the same floor and one of the rooms can't see the castle :(

We love this hotel. They have great facilities, friendly and helpful staffs, and very clean. The location is also great but not in the center of Edinburg.

The variety of fitness equipment , options of spa, hydrolic,...
    • King Room with Castle View

The fitness club and the pool is far little far and complicated, however both of them are fantastic.

The variety of fitness equipment , options of spa, hydrolic, outside and indoor pools are just a WaW. Large rooms.

A great location but not up to the standards of 5 Star Hotel !

1- Noise from the loading/unloading area nearby the hotel 2- AC was not cooling at the beginning and took me time to convince the rude old men maintenance team of the hotel to get it fixed for me. I had to stay a whole night without AC in the middle of Summer 3- Towels in bathroom were smelly and some of them not washed properly 4- No Spa access even for a Hotel Guest and the guest has to pay £ 30 to get an access which is odd! 5- Poor Housekeeping. Housekeepers never replace the bed sheet for us during our whole stay of 5 nights! Usually bedsheets are replaced on the third day if a guest doesn’t ask to do so In conclusion, I will never stay in a Starwood chain hotel again

Great Location and comfortable bed

I like it’s location and friendliness of the staff
    • Classic Twin Room

The cleanness, the sheet was not fixed probably, when we use the plate no body wash them The didn’t provide some of the things they should provide daily So these points should be considered

I like it’s location and friendliness of the staff

Enjoyable and comfortable
    • King Room with Castle View

The rooms do not have views that are worth the extra money. It is the back of the castle. The room could be dusted better.

Great location and wonderful service! People were very nice and helpful!

Over all holiday was good. Hotel not
    • King Room with Castle View

My wife is partially disabled I didn't expect the first staff member to ask her what she had done to herself as she walks with a crutch?. Drains in bathroom smelly at times lighting in room poor ,broken switch next to bed,having to wait at breakfast before any staff recognised you were there ! 5 star hotel not so? not value for money felt like a rip off ,having to pay for the priveledge to use hotel carpark £15 per night as a guest at the hotel !!! over all disappointed . I wanted to treat my wife at this hotel for our wedding Anniversary wish I had went to Premier Inn . One member of Staff stood out Claudio at reception he was so helpful and very pleasant he couldn't do enough to help . Overall out of 10 ??? We give it 4. Think they are living in the past when it was the place to go ! Such a shame !!!!

The bed was very comfortable

Spa saved the fay
    • Classic Twin Room

Construction work at the moment next to hotel made room noisy from 8am to 6pm. Also maid service for room very late in day at 5pm

Spa facilities excellent. Good location.

Location good, rooms clean but not really worth the money. Better boutique hotels around
    • King Room with Castle View

Water pressure in shower wasn’t great and the coffee not good and also not enough as only 1 cup per person of caffeinated coffee and 1 of decaffinated coffeee

Bed comfy, pillows not great. Bathroom really nice and clean

Their house keeping were extremely slow and when we returned...
    • Classic King Room

Their house keeping were extremely slow and when we returned to the room in the afternoons after 4pm, the room wasn’t tidied yet. We had to call reception and complain 3 days of our 5 day stay

Felt sick and unwell at the horrible cigarette smell in the room. Reception said housekeeping knew.
    • Classic King Room

Could not get rid of the smell left by previous guests of cigarette smoke. Made us feel quiet unwell resulting in reduced enjoyment of what should have been a great weekend.

Location and design of room.

Relaxing and engergising; I only stayed one night but it felt a lot longer as it was so pleasurable.
    • King Room with Castle View

Fantastic hotel in the heart of the city. Highly attentive staff, both in the hotel and restaurant. Food was excellent - I can recommend the duck ‘surprise’. The bar is a gin lovers dream with over 100 varieties of gin. Rooms are very spacious with all the modern conveniences. Bed was huge and incredibly comfortable. Over all I was incredibly impressed and would definitely stay here again. I would also not hesitate in recommending this hotel to friends, family and colleagues.

Frustrating,
    • Classic King Room

Not your fault I suppose but was meeting relatives from Australia, had diner booked but train was late, then when we arrived hotel systems were down, everything on paper and took ages to book in, missed r diner appointment with our relatives and to be honest completely ruined our trip

Spa was amazing and the room was really nice

Fantastic and convenient location.
    • Club King Room with Club Lounge & Spa Access

The rooms were a little bit small. Service a little bit slow in the restaurant and bar.

Fantastic and convenient location. All personnel was fantastic, especially in the club floor.

Great location, great service, beds are super comfy.
    • Club King Room with Club Lounge & Spa Access

Great location, great service, beds are super comfy. Club room is excellent with the extra's: full access to the spa and club lounge. Definitely a treat to stay at the Sheraton Edinburgh! Breakfast was delicious!

Sheraton is the best choice.
    • Classic King Room

A perfect locality, next to Usher hall, bus stop, EICC, Edinburgh castle & restaurants. Princes street just 7 minutes, a very friendly staff. The best breakfast ever!

The friendliness of staff was outstanding , and the location is perfect for Edinburgh
    • King Room with Castle View

Excellent location in Edinburgh , and my car was well looked after by the staff , which made coming and going very easy . The staff were most welcoming and helpful in all things , and breakfast was super

Lovley and relaxing and a real luxary hotel with style and class
    • Classic Twin Room

It is a lovley relaxing and luxurias hotel and i felt truely pampared the restuarent was excellent and when i mentioned i had vegan to keep weight of they put more vegan options on and also some veggie ones to very impressed with thecselection I love the attention to detail and the gentleman in a kilt who opened the car door for me was a real sense of scotland Love this hotel and whole exsperiace

Effortless
    • Classic Twin Room

Very convenient, comfortable , enjoyable. Could not fault this hotel, life went by without incident. We underestimate how important this is to our well being while away from home

Relaxed professional hotel with outstanding staff

Nothing all lovely

Bed very comfy great air con and windows that opened. Food lovely and gin bar outstanding. Pool is lovely with very restricted hours if you want to take children in and that was nice for adults. No long waits for lifts when asked for additional tea bags they arrived at once. As usual no milk in fridge horrid pots! Bath products nice and bathroom spotless. Public areas good and no sound issues night or day. Staff were really outstanding from check in to collecting luggage on last day. Relaxed hotel that ran well and allowed us to know anything that did arise would be dealt with. Nothing went wrong only requests were for extras and all dealt with highly recommended internet very good indeed room service was beautiful well set out condiments and water lovely linen all sounds usual for a 5 star but had awful expeience in another hotel with a tray!

Was absolutely fantastic to relax and unwind with 5 star service in a first class hotel.

We had to come home!

A fantastic escape in the heart of the city centre. The staff went above and beyond to make this special occasion even more special. The facilities were first class and we are already looking forward to our next stay.

luxury weekend

Nothing not to like

Fantastic staff, great facilities and excellent dining. Good views of the castle from the room. Perfect for a special weekend away.

Fabulous hotel! Highly recommend

Nothing it was great

Views, Modern Room , Room Service, Staff and overall experience was great. We plan to stay again but use spa facilities more next time as we had a wedding and couldn’t take advantage of them.

Very comfortable and spacious room.
    • King Room with Castle View

Ordered room service off the 24 hour menu ( roast chicken sandwich). When it arrived, the bread was stale and I couldn’t even bite into it as it was so hard. Did call room service who made a new one and delivered to my room which was ok. Was not impressed with the quality for the cost of it.

Bed is very very comfortable. Best hotel bed I’ve slept in. Location is ideal, very central and very nice hotel.

Great hotel friendly staff shame about the spa
    • Classic King Room

Not happy that you had to pay £30 to use the spa it should be included into the cost of the stay I spent a lot of money to stay there and to have to pay £60 for us both to use the spa facilities was quite disappointing

Beautiful hotel staff were really friendly

We have stayed here before and tecommend it to friends and family

Nothing loved everything

Everything about this hotel is lovely,staff were lovely.Breakfast bery good.Fine a central for going places if going with children a good toy shop just up the road on the left from the front entrance children would love it.

Amazing hotel in a great location in edinburgh
    • Twin Room with Castle View

Not so sure about the glass bathrooms in the room

The beds in the hotel room were very comfortable didn't feel like a single bed 2 duvets it was very luxurious. Breakfast was lovely great choice of food on the buffet.

an amazing stay. Top staff
    • Classic Twin Room

The cleaning could be better. Dirty robe and sheets on the bed.

The professionalism and attention to detail from the staff. Amazing Kristina at the reception made your stay look like heaven, the great Florian at the Bar as well as Mert and Daniel and Alaisdar at the Concierge section. good job guys

Highly recommend.
    • Classic Twin Room

The cleaning could be better. Dirty robe and sheets at the check-in.

Weekend break.
    • Classic Twin Room

Never read the small print and thought the spa would be included in the price. Very disappointed to find out we had to pay an extra £30 each per day.

Good location, comfortable beds and very friendly staff.

lovely experience again the hotel in Edinburgh for us
    • Classic King Room

i hurt my elbow entering the lift as the door closed. staff called senior manager immediately to deal with the health and safety issue

made to feel valued and important

Lovely. Would definitely stay here again and uld highly recommend it to anyone after a relaxing stay
    • Classic Twin Room

The front entrance isn't particularly well sign posted or obvious. We ended up wandering around to the gloomy back entrance for taxis (which was really visible from the road) - not a great first impression.

Lovely staff, spacious and comfortable room. Great restaurant and spa facilities. Location was perfect - central but not amidst the busiest or noisiest part - and just a few minutes from the bus stop to the airport

Very enjoyable experience . Will be back !
    • Classic King Room

Staff from very friendly doorman to reception and bar , very pleasant , helpful and professional! Overall lovely hotel , location and cleanliness !

Where do I start.
    • King Room with Castle View

Where do I start... I have stayed in lots of hotels bit this one is now my ultimate faverate. From the moment we stepped in to reception we were made to feel very welcome by door staff and reception. As we checked in the girl who sealed with us was very friendly offering us flapjack and a drink... she also showed us both to our room and showed us how to use lighting ect... the room was lovely with mood lighting the bathroom was perfect with a separate shower and very comfy bath. There was a mini bar also.... we had a view of the castle also... we ate in the hotel bar and it was very good excellent fillet steak served by amazing friendly staff.. nothing was a problem for anyone them they all went out of there way to make us feel welcome I can not fault the staff at all they were all amazing.. breakfast was good with a huge choice so you wouldn't go hungry. From cooked breakfast cereal, continental, fresh made egg a cooked as you wait... fresh squeezes juices of all nature including a beetroot one.. tea and coffee and fresh orange juice served to you by the staff.. as it was my birthday one of the girls who was serving gave us both a glass of champagne.. witch was so kind.. all in all our stay was perfect and we will be back for sure... the friendliest hotel we have ever stayed in.. thank you for a lovely stay

We were given an upgraded room.
    • King Room with Castle View

We were given an upgraded room.They also told us that if we took the club lounge deal it would cost us less.It saved us £40 and included parking ,The spa and free snacks and drinks in the club lounge all day with free canapes and alcoholic drinks between 5 and 730pm.Unlike most companies that do their best to get as much out of you as possible they tried to save us money.Will be back next time we have an excuse to celebrate.How could I forget the spa.The outside infinity pool on the 7th floor is amazing,and the fact they have separated the pool so that you can do lengths without kids stopping you was cleverly thought out

Best hotel in Edinburgh
    • Club King Room with Club Lounge & Spa Access

I can honestly say i dont have anything bad to say about this hotel. I love this place

Excellent location with beautiful castle view room upgrade. Staff were excellent and super friendly. Staff couldnt do enough for you, really impressed with customer service. Had minor issue with building works outside waking us up but the staff dealt with it efficiantly and with class. Would recommend club access booking as we did, 2 hours per nite included drinks and canopés/snacks in club lounge. It is a short walk to princess street (5 mins or so) and walking distance to the stunning castle. The spa in this hotel is world class, with perticular fondness of the outside hydrapool on the roof.

Thoroughly enjoyabe and relaxing,

Buffet quite limited especially the cold section. Not imaginative or exciting. Could do with more cold meats, fruit or local produce.

Rooms well laid out. Glass interchangeable doors very clever. Beds very comfortable. Good soace on level 2 for sitting/ eating/waiting.

As a experienced travel across over 40 countries, this was the best hotel with the friendliest staff
    • Classic King Room

The only thing that could have been better would be if we were able to stay another night!

Location, facilities and Staff were the best I have experienced.

A lovely weekend!
    • Twin Room with Castle View

The swimming pool and spa are lovely. The room was exceptionally comfortable with a lovely view. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. This is my second stay and I will definitely be coming back!

Overpriced for the standard of hotel
    • Classic King Room

Room was a question of design over functionally. Poor lighting arrangement, poor bathroom arrangement. I don't like glass walled bathrooms. Go to the toilet at night, put the lights on and it disturbs your partner. Light switches are not obvious. You should not need an instruction leaflet to find the bathroom light switch. Water pressure was very low and water in the shower never got to hot, just warm. Charged separately for parking.

Central location. Bed was very comfy The air con and heating worked well. The staff were helpful.

Check in was poorly organised.
    • Classic King Room

We arrived on our honeymoon and were upgraded to a new room with a castle view. When we reached that new room, we were informed it was already occupied and so had to move to another room. The new room could see about 1/8 of the castle (although was still called a Castle View room) but was also an adjoining room and we could hear everything in the next room. Not very romantic for people on our honeymoon!!! We said this to the reception and were told they would move us back to the original room we had booked i.e. no upgrade, which was fine with us but this took approx another 30 minutes to get us moved. Not a very satisfactory checkin at all.

Wonderful stay in a beautiful, welcoming hotel.
    • Classic King Room

The location of the hotel is excellent-close to the castle, restaurants and cinemas with a taxi rank right outside. It has a beautiful light filled pool, an excellent spa with welcoming staff and well equipped changing rooms. The hotel rooms are luxurious and well designed and the bar is a relaxing space. Housekeeping keep the rooms spotless and respect "Do Not Disturb" signs!

Good venue no need to have hidden cost
    • Classic King Room

This visit was marred by the salesperson like attitude at check in and the hidden costs throughout

Excellent staff nice atmosphere one of my favourite budget hotels

The hotel room was exactly like in the pictures and the bed...
    • Classic King Room

The spa should be included into the price. It's quite expensive to buy separate tickets while there. The same for breakfast.

The hotel room was exactly like in the pictures and the bed was a proper king size comfy one. Good light blocking curtains for the night and nice night lights to use if waking up at night - no need to put the white light on. Great location.

Fine business hotel
    • Classic Twin Room

Extra charge to use the spa facilities. Breakfast - dining room wasn't busy and waited so long to be served I only had time for a coffee? and that took ages too! Staff inexperienced. Outlook of room dreadful over airvents etc - although Sheraton club member.

Concierge amazing. Great location Room large and bathroom spacious

Going the extra mile!
    • Classic King Room

Excellent. Very helpful and friendly staff. Thank you, especially to the reception manager Anne, who made the short break possible when we arrived to find that we had left our cases back home in England!

Hotel stay
    • Classic King Room

The room looked good but pillows and bed far too soft and I can I say for the money I spent for this was very disappointed I am not looking for anything free but you would think gor 228 pound your breakfast would be included and free parking the room just needs some finishing touches for guests that are paying this kind of money Ie the mini bar 2.20 for a small bar of chocolate that's not good and 22 pound each for breakfast so anyway basicly paid 228 pound for a room to sleep in not what I thought it would be at all this was a supprise for my wife's birthday and we were both disappointed for a 5 star hotel it just seems to want to rip people off not worth the money at all

I diddnt like the fact that we had to pay an extra £30 for...
    • King Room with Castle View

I diddnt like the fact that we had to pay an extra £30 for the hydro pool and thermal suite section of the spa. We’ve already spend so much and to charge extra for something that could easily be included was unfortunate

Friendly staff, lovely spa and great location.

Nothing to dislike.

Friendly staff, lovely spa and great location. The staff also kindly threw in a few extras for our anniversary which was a nice touch. Highly recommend.

Staff courteous helpful and friendly.
    • Classic King Room

We thought that buffet breakfast a little overpriced at 22 pounds per person. Pool temperature was a little cold. Privacy 're toilet facilities in bedroom less than satisfactory. An additional loo door and an alternative to sliding glass door to bedroom would improve this. Surprised that exit from spa only possible via keycard. In fire evacuation emergency this may be a concern.

Staff courteous helpful and friendly. Food in restaurant at dinner in evening was delicious. Location of hotel perfect.

A beautiful hotel, great location to explore Edinburgh from.
    • Classic King Room

Can’t forget no anything to dislike

Gorgeous hotel, rooms are large and airy. The most wonderful comfortable bed awaited me. Great location and although central still very quiet.

Luxurious, friendly and comfortable night away with my partner.
    • Classic King Room

Loved to chill out in the bar on level 2. It was inviting friendly and comfortable. Room was spacious and bed was very comfortable had a great nights sleep!

Lovely one night stay away.
    • Classic King Room

The rooftop pool was not that warm, a sign said this was due to the high wind affecting the temperature. We paid £30 each in particular for this pool so it might of been nice for a drink or something on the house to compensate for this.

Room was lovely, bathroom and bedroom was extremely clean and a very comfortable bed.

Thoroughly enjoyed the my stay and would love to stay there again
    • Classic Twin Room

My key card needed to be replaced twice and breakfast seemed really expensive. I love breakfast, best meal of the day. I had a headache on the Friday which spoiled that day.

Really loved the room and the spa facilities