Reviews of Great John Street Hotel 4 stars

Great John Street, Manchester City Centre, Manchester, M3 4FD, United Kingdom

#9 of 93 hotels in Manchester

Innovative design, classy decor and a real feel of informal luxury.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

We Sat at a table and were asked to move to the mezzanine because it was reserved. We ordered some food and were then told we would have to move in half an hour because of a drinks reception.

This place is a real gem, such a refreshing change from the usual suspects. It’s a lovely old school building that has been tastefully renovated to provide a relaxing base for visiting Manchester. Check out the roof terrace.

Everything else!
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Massive frustration at the lack of access to the rooftop facilities. I've stayed here a few times and have NEVER had access. I don't believe it should be advertised as a facility when it's rarely available.

Everything else! Great bar, great room, great location, wonderful staff.

In correct tv remote in room
    • Luxe Junior Suite

In correct tv remote in room Don’t stay on the 3rd floor very noisy if a party on roof top bar..no access to roof top bar due to other commitments organised by the hotel...

Amazing location, so peaceful, chic and luxurious, unusual...
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Unable to use the roof top terrace for both nights that I was a resident as it had been hired for private functions. The weather was lovely and I had arranged to invite guests especially to use this facility. Perhaps informing guests when they book that not all facilities will be available to them in advance would be fair.

Amazing location, so peaceful, chic and luxurious, unusual rooms and very generous sizes. Knowledgeable and welcoming staff, I will go back, but next time I'll check regarding all the fabulous facilities available.

I usually love this hotel but it wasn't up to scratch on this occasion.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

I was in a hurry and was given the wrong room type. I had to wait a long time for them to sort it out and so had about ten minutes to get ready for a black tie dinner. There was also a very ominous stain on the sofa and the furniture looked tired.

The bathroom was lovely.

One of the best I’ve stayed in.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

I can honestly say every member of staff that we came across were so lovely and couldn’t do enough for us. Can not fault this hotel at all. Felt very welcomed and very well looked after. Immaculate attention to detail in the room too, beautiful. Slept like a log. Breakfast was yum. A Perfect time. Definitely will come back.

The suite was very nice. The view from our window was not nice though
    • Luxe Junior Suite

I did book the suite with the bath next to the bed but it wasn't the one we were given. Car parking was expensive

The room was lovely and very clean

Fantastic
    • Comfy Duplex Room

We had a surprise to see the window cleaner at the window in the morning! The manager was very apologetic and we had a free breakfast.

Lovely romantic evening Breakfast delicious!

Beautifully Presented Rooms, Warm Welcome and Very Helpful
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Nothing - for the price we felt like we were treated with respect, the rooms were perfect and the welcoming and overall customer service was exceptional.

Room was beautifully presented and very well thought out - the honesty policy is a breath of fresh air (in terms of the mini-bar) , valet parking made things so much easier and we were able to leave the vehicle there whilst we shopped around and had something to eat.

Great boutique hotel with friendly staff and excellent breakfast.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

It would have been good to have a choice of pillows as my husband found his to be too soft.

The room was really nice, enjoyed the little touches and it was very comfortable. The breakfast was particularly good.

We will look forward to our next visit - the fact that we want to return says it all!!
    • Eclectic Suite

nothing everything was superb.

That everything I asked for happened - the rose petals on the bed, the champagne and the chocolate strawberries dipped in dark chocolate (as requested)

Wonderful!
    • Comfy Duplex Room

There could have been a bin downstairs in the suite, rather than just one up in the bathroom

The bed was amazingly comfy. Super king size and amazing mattress!

Great hotel, walking distance from everywhere and right next...
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Great hotel, walking distance from everywhere and right next to a number of bars and restaurants! Lovely room and got a nice free upgrade on check in to a King room!

Great two storey room
    • Eclectic Suite

Extremely soft pillows which may not suit all. Maybe my luck but it could hear other guests in the early hours, I found it very difficult to sleep. Expensive parking at hotel.

Great two storey room His and her bath tubs Attentive staff who want your stay to be perfect Valet parking underneath hotel

Looks much bigger on the website. The common areas and rooms are quite pokey
    • Luxe Junior Suite

I booked this hotel for its roof terrace only to find that I couldn’t access it due to a wedding being held there. I found the hotel very dark and oppressive.

Staff were excellent

Perfect romantic getaway
    • Comfy Duplex Room

The room was a little hot and we couldn’t work out how to cool it down, but this was so minor compared to all the positives and did not spoil our stay.

This was part of an anniversary treat to ourselves (29 years! We married young !!) and it did not disappoint . We were upgraded to a beautiful room arranged like a loft appartment. If it had had a kitchen I would have moved in! Lots of thoughtful details :- well stocked mini bar including champagne, a fridge with a tiny carton of proper milk not UHT , creamer or powder (yuck!!!) , furniture and fittings which you might have chosen yourself. This is a beautifully curated hotel and the attention to detail really matters . We are already plotting our next stay.

Overall lovely hotel and great place to stay
    • Comfy Duplex Room

When I booked the room through booking.com I received an email an hour later from the hotel saying that the oyster bar and another bar we unavailable to use due to two functions that we going on. With this I contacted the hotel who did their upmost to resolve the situation.

The baby grand room was excellent with a mezzanine with the bath overlooking the room. Nice quiet hotel room. Great location.

the level of service provided by the staff was excellent...
    • Eclectic Suite

the level of service provided by the staff was excellent they always had a smile and were genuinely interested in your plans and how your day was going

nice but needs more attention to detail and functionality
    • Boudoir Grand Double

instant coffee no shower cap. poor 24 hour food menu - ordered an egg mayo sandwich as only veggie option (no lettuce/salad on sandwich or on side as garnish, appeared to be on relatively cheap white bread, no option for type of bread, no option of crisps/salad side, huge three layered slab of white bread which was impossible to eat comfortably because it was so high. nice coleslaw but not great side for egg mayo). the kettle had nowhere to be plugged in near the cupboard it was stored in and the sink to fill it was upstairs. was a bit of a faff to dig the kettle out from the back of a cupboard, behind the tea and coffee jars, go upstairs to fill, move to desk next to bed to plug in and carry back to mugs to make a drink. just get a decent coffee machine and have it plugged in filled and ready to use.

decor nice. communal areas nice.

Beautiful room and hotel that needs a lot of work....
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Room was uncomfortable warm even when we adjusted the temp in the room. It stayed like this all night and did not cool down until the next morning. The walls were very thin and we could hear the couple next door being intimate which was not what we would have expected for the price we paid. The woman at the front desk was extremely unhelpful when we wanted to vallet our car.

Facilities and room were great

A hotel that is different and welcoming.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

Nothing we did not like about this hotel.

We fully enjoyed our overnight stay at this hotel. Very warm welcome on arrival. excellent room and certainly different from many run of the mill hotels. The design of the hotel was what first attracted us, together with the very good reviews and we were not disappointed. The location is excellent, close to the Opera House and although we were at the front of the hotel there was no noise or disturbances during our stay. we would certainly visit again.

Relaxing and extremely enjoyable night in superb surroundings
    • Boudoir Grand Double

The terrace was booked but we were told there was a resident only area. When we went up to the area, it was unlit, open to the elements, no heaters or blankets

Lovely ambience, extremely comfy beds, excellent breakfast

Beautiful hotel lovely staff
    • Eclectic Suite

Maybe more people would use mini bar if was more reasonable prices

Room was gorgeous . hotel beautiful. Double baths and huge comfy bed which fitted 6.4 boyfriend! Not like an average corporate hotel room x

Quirky yet classy, with great staff and comfortable luxurious rooms
    • Eclectic Suite

I loved this place! Quirky yet classy and the room was fabulous with.....Fresh milk!!!! We attended the NYE dinner dance which I would love to do every year now, it really was a nice way to see in the new year, we saw the New Year in on the rooftop watching the fireworks across the city. The twin baths were great, clean and comfortable room. Would visit again in a heartbeat. Wanted something special due to it being the day after our wedding and going on honeymoon the next morning, this was just perfect for that.

Absolutely brilliant.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

There was nothing I didn't like.

The bed was so big and comfy,and the bath was amazing,the atmosphere of the whole hotel was so relaxing,can't wait to return.

Nice hotel with good facilities
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Was rather disappointed with the room given the price. It was called a ‘baby grand’ but felt rather dark and chlostrophic on the ground level as the ceiling had been lowered over the bed to accommodate for the bathroom above. Not a room I wanted to spend much time in.

Bed was extremely comfy, excellent shower and the breakfast was lovely. The staff in particular were very welcoming and friendly.

Lovely touches throughout our stay
    • Boudoir Grand Double

Have stayed at GJS before in a “baby grand” room at the end of the corridor, we booked a larger “boudoir grand” room 36 this time but the standard of the baby was better?? Overall lovely stay though

Lovely touches throughout our stay

Very nice
    • Boudoir Grand Double

Only complaint is that the hotel appeared quiet and there was no offer of a room upgrade I have stayed in so many hotels and the free upgrade is always a nice gesture

Really nice staff lovely room enjoyed will be back

Perfect and luxurious
    • Comfy Duplex Room

The hotel was perfect, huge comfy bed, bed night sleep. Huge bath big enough for two and the most amazing shower. The hotel was spotless and there’s a great view of Manchester from the rooftop terrace. Staff were welcoming and friendly.

fabulous!
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Had a wonderful stay here with my husband for our anniversary. We requested an upgrade and were allocated a suite which was beautiful. The hotel is ideally located for exploring Manchester and the roof top bar in the hotel is fabulous, great views and heated outdoor area. All the staff were friendly and helpful, they even let us borrow an umbrella as it was raining! This is my favourite hotel in Manchester, we will definitely be back. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

Luxury, class and stunning rooms
    • Luxe Junior Suite

I rang up the hotel whilst I was on a night out to check that the night menu was still on for when we got back. However when we did get back the person on reception couldn't find menus, then advised us not to go for the "pre-made" sandwiches and told us to order a takeaway instead. - if I had known we were going to be told to have a takeaway I would have had dinner at a restaurant in town instead.

Fabulous hotel, stayed before and didn't disappoint this time. The room was stunning, lovely homemade Christmas cookies on arrival in the room. The shower is huge and fantastic. The bed is probably the comfiest I have stayed in.

Average
    • Comfy Duplex Room

My room was cold. Tried to turn up the heating on the thermostat and it wouldn't work, did not sleep all night. My personal preference i guess but the pillows were not firm enough for me. Also tried to get a deal on the room as we booked a party at the venue and had staff that didn't seem like they wanted to try to help me with that. They were nice enough but I wanted more help really.

Room was nice

Very lovely stay in a very lovely Hotel marred by housekeeping issues!
    • Comfy Duplex Room

On first entering the room sadly it had a rather stale smell a little like smelly feet!...plus please see above for comments.

The general feel and decor was great but sadly incredibly let down by all of the continued site of laundry and housekeeping on show whenever we were entering and leaving the rooms...it felt ever present, even the rooms where it/housekeeping was kept were constantly open and on show and huge amounts of dirty Linnen parked on corridors for a great deal of the time, taking the stairs didn’t bring any relief as this was also being used apparently!

Top quality luxury executive stay
    • Eclectic Suite

Service was amazing from reception to concierge room absolutely top class. Couldn't recommend this highly enough amazing service cool locations top class unique room staff couldn't do more to help. Absolutely going back.

Good wasn’t going to go back but lady on reception at check out changed our mind
    • Boudoir Grand Double

service at bar and that it was shut all afternoon and evening and then when we went in at 1030 we couldn’t get served as we was ignored.

Breakfast was amazing

The Hotel has lost its Mojo.......
    • Boudoir Grand Double

The Hotel is certainly not what it was and I will not be booking meeting rooms nor hotel rooms again

Workmen constantly around the breakfast room. A strong smell of damp around the hotel. I was on the second floor room 20 and the toilet had a strong smell of urine didn't feel clean at all. I do not use lifts therefore took the staircase (girls) and it was just full of furniture and laundry trucks which we had to move out of the way on the stairs to even get passed

great value, super location, lovely staff, we had a very happy stay.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

the free standing bath in the room was very noisy! water was running and gurgling through the pipes all night. we reported it to reception and they were very apologetic.

the room was superb. very roomy. well equipped. very comfortable.

The rooms were fantastic, the level of service was excellent.

Absolutely nothing!

The rooms were fantastic, the level of service was excellent. I miss placed my phone and the staff could not have been more helpful in trying to find it. I recommend to anyone, a great location for a night out in Spinningfields.

Excellent. Would definitely stay again.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

A little more instruction as to what facilities there were, and how to enjoy them would have been nice. The residents lounge, for instance, is unstaffed and you have to call for service, however there is no guidance for this.

The rooms are AMAZING. Staff extra helpful and polite. Fantastic decor throughout

Fancy, friendly hotel, but drinks with service charge a no no.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Expensive bar with service charge on drinks. Please pay your staff a decent wage and allow customers to tip at own discretion. Was really put off eating in the hotel because of this policy.

Good friendly staff, interesting but comfy split level bedroom.

The room was way too hot and there were no sockets by the...
    • Comfy Duplex Room

The room was way too hot and there were no sockets by the beds. The decor was tired and worn out. The layout didn't work for me, with the wardrobe being downstairs and not by the bed or by the bathroom. Very poor value for money overall

Excellent and worth a stay
    • Eclectic Suite

We actually stayed at the sister hotel King Street townhouse as St Johns was full but this hotel was excellent. Nothing at all to fault. Staff particularly Tom was extremely helpful and accommodating. Food was excellent & the best breakfast we have ever had at an hotel

It was very enjoyable!
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Not enough shower gel, bottle too small for two.

We had greeted by some friendly staffs, and had a free upgrade room which was very nice touch, the room was beautiful, highly recommended, definitely will be back ....thank you!

Interesting place, very friendly staff, very comfortabe.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

Layout of room, with bedroom/bathroom on mezzanine floor, but clothing storage on ground. Narrow staircase, so not practical to lug luggage to bedroom area.

Quirky and interesting pace - was originally a school

Love this hotel and I always stay here when I'm in Manchester
    • Comfy Duplex Room

I do not usually have the breakfast as it is not terribly good I'm afraid

The pillows are lovely and soft, the beds just right and I love the baths!

I really enjoyed my stay and would happily recommend this hotel.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Check out took a while and took two people to sort out.

The room was lovely. Particularly liked the mezzanine floor with the roll top bath. very convenient for the Science Museum.

Exactly what we needed!
    • Comfy Duplex Room

There weren't any plug sockets near the bed to charge our phones over night.

The room was lovely, the bed so comfortable and when we arrived the lights were on and the radio was playing lovely music. The bathroom was glorious and we loved that the WC was separate so I could have a long bath without feeling guilty! The staff were so helpful and accommodating when we asked for extras and advice. We would definitely stay again.

Fulfilled my need for a comfortable hotel close to the venue where I was working
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Dim lighting couldn't see well enough to work in the room Difficult to see to put make up on Dining a bit awkward siting in Mezzanine Room mini bad extortionately expensive I felt a little uncomfortable in the lounge as a single female guest

The bed and pillows were super comfortable The rom was very large Room service good

Good option for Central Manchester
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Noise from adjacent rooms. During my stay various bars were closed so a little frustrating. Sky TV was a bit of devil to get working.

Hotel in a nice location. Lots of character. Big spacious room. Good breakfast

A truly perfect weekend get away, hotel is stunning and staff are adorable
    • Luxe Junior Suite

It was perfect! Nothing to dislike

Close to amazing bars and places to eat, close to fantastic places like Castlefields and wonderful architecture and industrial heritage. Retail therapy within five minutes and the best Belgian beer in Manchester

Amazing service and hotel! Great job guys!
    • Comfy Duplex Room

We booked an anniversary stay and let the staff know ahead of the time and got a complimentary upgrade as well as a welcome treat which felt very special!!!

beautiful building, and so many original features retained.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

staff were a little bit inexperienced/casual. Polite, but not quite up to scratch for the price of the hotel.

beautiful building, and so many original features retained. Tall ceilings, really nice décor, lovely mezzanine bedroom, great design.

Amazing
    • Comfy Duplex Room

this was my 3rd time staying here and it was amazing as always, the best hotel in Manchester by far! We upgraded our room and on arrival and it was amazing couldn't of asked for better.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Lovely hotel, great location, fantastic staff.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

One small improvement would be complimentary bottled water in the room.

Lovely hotel, great location, fantastic staff. When we had an issue with the bathroom lights fusing and we were offered a complimentary breakfast while they were fixed.

Stunning hotel and facilities, would recommended to friends and I would definitely stay again
    • Luxe Junior Suite

Nothing! Absolutely beautiful hotel, perfect location.

Bath robes supplied, and an amazing bath. Very comfortable bed and everything was extremely clean and well presented. Even offered fresh milk for with tea / coffee which most hotels don't. Staff were very welcoming and helpful

Stunning Romantic hotel but not as practical as I'd prefer
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Air conditioning didnt work properly + problems changing channels on tv in bedroom. Also plugs aren't in logical places to work from.

Stunning rooms and ambience

Lovely hotel
    • Boudoir Grand Double

Room Service was a little slow Quite a walk from the train station

Large Bath Comfy King Size Bed Cosy Room Huge Duplex Room Friendly Staff Rooftop Terrace Super Clean Romantic Nice Area of Manchester

Classy boutique must stay hotel
    • Comfy Duplex Room

The only issue we had was getting served at the bar when we returned late evening. It took 15 minutes to get acknowledged when there was only one other couple waiting to be served. There was a corporate function on the roof terrace so we did expect a short wait as the staff seemed fully absorbed on this, but when we asked for a cocktail menu the waiter completely ignored us. However I would not let this stop me going back as it is a wonderful hotel.

A wonderful boutique hotel, in a great location for local manchester attractions. The room was lovely and the bed was extremely comfortable. Great minibar, tea, coffee, snacks and drink options. The roof terrace is a great place to sit and enjoy a cocktail, which we're very enjoyable. Tom was very welcoming, polite and helpful as was Alan. Really enjoyed our stay and wished we could have stayed longer.

Lovely location, a stylish place to stay.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

I thought the breakfast was a bit pricey, £18 per person. Neither of us likes a full English in the morning, so it would have been too expensive for a bowl of porridge. Thankfully, there are hundreds of much cheaper alternatives just a few yards away.

There is a lovely park just across the road and the area was very quiet despite being close to the city centre. Friendly staff. A room full of character.

Perfect room / Almost Perfect service
    • Comfy Duplex Room

The roof terrace was shut to the public as it was being used for an event, a jacuzzi was available but no staff members were pressent to advise me and my partner on how to use it, as well as this it was surrounded by empty bottles and cigarette boxes from I'm only presuming people from the event.

The hotel looked amazing both inside and out.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Great rooms but a bit noisy
    • Comfy Duplex Room

It was noisy at night, with a faulty air-con which wouldn't turn off and banging doors. They forgot to take my room breakfast order from outside my door at night, but dealt with it speedily when I contacted reception in the morning.

Great rooms in this old school. This is the reason I return.

Lovely staff.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

The hotel has a lovely terrace one of the reasons we booked it. Most of the terrace was closed off for a private party night if our stay, not good. Other guests should get discount if this happening. The private party went on quite late and was noisy, in such a small hotel we could hear this and disturbed our night.

Lovely staff. Very clean. Great location for shops, bars etc. Quirky style. Good bar.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

would definitely return and already planning our visit

all wonderful

superb staff who were extremely helpful- delivered cocktails to roof, provided late check out and room upgrade for a reduced fee. All décor in keeping with an old school. Valet parking - wonderful in inner city Manchester! A walk away from the restaurant we were eating at (The French at the Midland). Fantastic location and luxurious place to stay.

An amazing little gem of a hotel.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

The customer service here is second to non, beautiful Decor with excellent attention to detail. It's our second visit and will definitely will not be our last.

Another fantastic stay
    • Comfy Duplex Room

the only negative is not in the hotels control, the ability to phone and pay for parking outside the hotel has gone due to new ticket machine. £30 to park at the hotel is a little steep.

As usual impeccable standard throughout the hotel in the common areas and the room. The roof facility is fantastic when the sun shines.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Excellent location - restaurant service rather disjointed.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Was disappointed with the service for an afternoon snack. Spent too long waiting for the staff member to discover what desserts were on offer- the tea was cold by the time we eventually found out and had gone off the idea (maybe a plus for our waistlines though? )

Delicious breakfast selection - especially the fresh fruit.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Would have liked to go to the rooftop bar but there was a...

No USB points

Would have liked to go to the rooftop bar but there was a private party. We were told that we could go up. It we were met by someone hosting the party who said not. We went to an alternative venue for a drink

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

A nice hotel but sadly disappointing. The Lowry offers better value and service.
    • Boudoir Grand Double

The wi-fi code didn't work and the staff couldn't help. The main bar was closed the day that we arrived and yhere were no staff at the upstairs bar.

The bed was very comfy and the blackout curtains made it very easy to sleep in!

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

A great city centre boutique hotel with fab rooftop bar.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

If I'm being uber picky the Soundproofing between the rooms could be improved. Limited on-site parking meant we had to use nearby NCP so recommend contacting hotel early to arrange.

Stayed over for a wedding and were impressed with the really welcoming reception staff and event team who went above and beyond. There are some nice touches in the boutique rooms including homemade biscuits, real milk for coffee, good toiletries and huge towels in the mezzanine bathrooms ( we stayed in a Baby Suite- room 34) The mini bar was also well stocked and reasonably priced. Rooftop bar with hot tub is a brilliant space and ideal for a quirky event. Food very good, both Wedding Bbq and breakfast ( great Eggs Benedict)

Excellent stay

Having to check out

Customer service excellent nothing was too much trouble from a late night drink at the bar to getting drinks and food ordered to the room I've stayed at many hotels in Manchester and this is defiantly the best!

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

City centre luxury
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Our room was on the ground floor so we could hear the early morning commotions going on outside ( could have been a delivery or something like that ) of people talking quite loudly but it didn't last too long. The roof top bar was closed when we got back to the hotel later on, that could of just been because of the time of year but would of been nice to have had a drink and see Manchester at its finest.

The extra large bed was amazing and the bath robe was a nice touch. The mini bar was well stocked and had some lovely treats. The option to have room service was also a bonus

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Birthday Treat
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Hairdryer was no good but a very minor point should have just taken my own.

Gorgeous room more like mini apartment,free upgrade,fabulous bathroom, very comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Good
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Staff don't get tips directly, yet promoted as that and auto added to bills. Management say it goes into a pot to pay for 2x yearly staff parties, discretionary vouchers but overall don't like the auto add

Love the boutique style, very home from home

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Staff very friendly and helpful.
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel a little worn in a few places but it is 11 years old now. Overall a lovely hotel, gorgeous decor and in keeping with the aunthentic feel of the old school. The water stopped working in the morning for a short time, so the staff took off the cost of a room service beverage which was appreciated. A little over priced I think (£150 for one night in baby grand) however certainly glad I stayed and enjoyed my experience overall.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Duplex Room with Roll top bath, great selection in the mini...
    • Comfy Duplex Room

Traffic Wardens hot as hell got a ticket 3 minutes after ticket expired!

Duplex Room with Roll top bath, great selection in the mini bar. Cocktails were excellent as well

Browse Great John Street Hotel traveller photo gallery