Reviews of Greenways Lodge, Stansted Airport.

Church Road, , Bishops Stortford, CM22 7TS, United Kingdom

#16 of 16 hotels in Bishops Stortford

6.2

4.1

• En Suite Double Room

They charged for WiFi. Why? TV was tiny, though did have Freeview. Even with something this basic, an attempt could be made to make it a bit more homely. There are no restaurant facilities within walking distance. Bed only, no breakfast, but that's to be expected at this price.

Very basic, but cheap, so you get what you pay for. Useful if you just want a one-night bed near Stansted, but essentially a prefab room built in the garden. Did provide tea/coffee making. Shower worked OK. Room was clean.

• En Suite Twin Room

We were charged a £15 supplement for late arrival but all we got was a note on the front door telling us to go through the gate to "room 7" - £15 for a note?? The room was basically a garden building - the kitchen had no fridge and the bathroom had no hairdryer. There was a note saying we would be charged extra if we didn't wash our cups !! The most inhospitable place I've stayed.

It was close to Stansted Airport

• En Suite Quad/Family Room

Service was awful, the manager was rude and grumpy making myself and my friends feel like an inconvenience. You have to pay for wifi, there is a charge of £30 if you do not wash the mugs or cutlery...which were filthy anyway. The milk provided by the lodge was gone off, we did not have the energy to disturb the unapproachable manager by this point. There are very bright porch lights that you cannot switch off which kept us awake most of the night which coupled witha radiator you cannot switch off and a pillow which was rock solid made things very uncomfortable.

I cannot recall a single redeeming feature.

• En Suite Double Room

Everything , dirty mugs , spider under glass in bathroom, broken cord on blind , heater adjustment controls screwed shut , floor boards not fitted properly, t.v on bedroom wall no bigger than a laptop, no contact with any staff between 2230 & 1700 . Number 7 what was given , a family room !!! This is a converted shed at the bottom of garden .

• En Suite Single Room

The WiFI isn’t free, you are charged £2 to get the password. They only have 2 GB so very slow if more than one person is using it. It also has poor connection. The front desk isn’t really a front desk, it functions in the owners house. Also the room is located in the back yard of the property and is a dark walk there.(it didn’t help that it was raining too) I had to walk in between the owners cars to get to the gate of where the walk way is.

I liked that it had 3 different rooms including the bathroom. Bathroom had a towel warmer which is a plus. Also the complimentary powdered coffee and tea was nice. The location was about 15 min to the airport( you have to pay to pay roughly £16 for a taxi. I liked that he offered a free shuddle in the morning.

• En Suite Single Room

Not as close to the airport as stated. Option to select a later check in time, but still Charged a fee due to lateness caused by aiport delays.(even if you select a later check in time, get there before 11pm :/) Free airport transfer, which has to be booked a lot in advance, Not ideal for anyone like myself who had to book a room last minute.

Good sized room with good facilities. Last minute booking. Clean and tidy. Tv.

• En Suite Twin Room

Nothing was in walking distance so had to taxi into town. Shower in the room was just a trickle of water so couldn't have one. Office was shut so we couldn't mention anything & this was past 10am on a Wednesday.

perfect to get your head down for an over night stay. Nice room & comfy beds.

• En Suite Double Room

No decent restaurants or pubs to eat within 5-6 miles so we had to go without any food until we reached our holiday destination.

Bed ok room, very basic but will do for one night no breakfast only room .

• En Suite Double Room

Very hot and couldnt adjust heating but might have been me. Bathroom towl rail lose and comes iff every time you touch the towel.

Location, clean room,

• En Suite Double Room

£10 per room charge for late arrival was a bit steep , considering it only was a piece of paper with directions and our room keys left in the door . This could have been done easily and covered under the cost of the room.

• En Suite Double Room

We were offered a room from an annex which had a small bed and we could hear all the night what the guest from the room next to us were doing. We had the feeling like we are sleeping in a chalet.

The room was very clean and tidy.

• En Suite Single Room

First of all being charged £15 extra for a late arrival is a ripoff when nobody was there anyway to welcome me. Second of all, it is about time to change the mattress and the bed, very poor, I couldn't sleep all night, felt that it was expensive for the type of lodging. Then charging extra for anything like: wifi, more bad coffee or terrible tea, is outrageous. These people should revise their standard. Traveling a lot and sleeping in even less expensive hotel with higher standard make you want to give a bad review to this Lodge who obviously don't even care of their host. On top of it, offering an airport transfer and dropping the guest at a bus station in the airport car park I found insulting. Anyway, I would not recommend that terrible place to anyone.

Nothing at all, please read below

• En Suite Quad/Family Room

The hotel make the note that customers should clean the room otherwise will charge you £30

Stuff were very welcoming and the property was clean , it is good for someone travel abroad via Stanstead airport. The taxi to airport is free if you pre-book the taxi from the hotel .

• En Suite Twin Room

The possibility of not being able to get in the accomodation if your flight was delayed and you could not reach the accommodation before 11pm.

Proximity to Stansted airport. Basic, clean accommodation. Even though it was not B&B, food was on sale at reception.

• En Suite Triple Room

We spent 2 nights here with our 2 teenage daughters, staying in a triple room in the main part of the house. The room was charmingly cottagey, clean and colourful. The ensuite bathroom, which had shower, old fashioned stylish washbasin and a toilet, was clean and spacious. The water pressure was the same as in other private houses in the area, i.e. adequate. Plenty of hot water. Towels were colour coordinated to the bedlinen, and plentiful. The wifi was strong and fine for Skype video calls. The code cost a nominal 2 pounds for the whole stay, but that's fine - bandwidth is expensive and needs to be paid for. The setting is peaceful, in the countryside, on the edge of a quaint beautiful village. There is noise from the airport flight path (as you would expect) but the rooms have double glazing. The lodge was built before the airport (as a market garden owner's cottage, about 100 years ago), so the insulation has not kept pace with the noise from the airport. But we slept soundly. Bishop's Stortford train station is about a 10 minute ride away, with a taxi fare of just under 10 pounds. Stansted Airport is about 20 minutes away and the taxi fare is just under 20 pounds. The owner is a gentleman who bends over backwards to please. He very kindly ran us into Bishop's Stortford for free. He also lent us a clothes iron at a moment it was due to be used by the staff. We cannot fault the customer service. There are snacks and drinks that can be bought from reception, as well as a microwave there, with no suggestion that we would have to pay for using it. The bedrooms have free tea/coffee/milk/sugar, with kettle, mugs and spoons. Good value for money overall and would definitely stay here again.

I didn't like the attitude of the owner, very brusque. The fact that the shuttle bus was in fact a regular bus and you had to walk to the end of the road to catch it. It was all pretty poor and I would not recommend this property to anyone

I didn't like much about the property at all

No breakfast (did know before hand) but not too bad as got it in airport.

Owner went out of his way to get our larger party to the airport. Nice comfortable beds in a scenic setting.

• En Suite Double Room

Couldn't get any hot water for the shower and if you wanted an early night some ear plugs are recommended!

It was great value for money and really close to the airport.

• En Suite Single Room

Smell in the room, mismatch furniture, no duvet cover, travel kettle that has to be stood on the floor in order to reach plug.

Free transfer to Stansted airport in the morning.

• En Suite Double Room

It is cheap for a reason. The toilet didn't have a lock, you need to pay for wifi, and other small inconveniences that makes it a place I'd rather not stay at for a long time.

It is located close to Stansted airport, is cheap and gets the job done for a night. A very comfy bed as well.

• En Suite Double Room

Charges fees for even paying with debit card(!) The heater does not work (has a nail drilled throw the cover - I assumed that the owner does not want anyone to use it). Water in the bathroom is very weak. Very far away from public transport (25mins walking from closest bus stop - imagine walking with your luggage, with no pedestrian path).

Has microwave and some food if you need instant noodle and stuff.

• En Suite Double Room

Bed linen a horrible mauve colour with a sheet under the duvet so begs the question if duvet ever changed!!! Booking charge should have been £55 but took £65 as a late booking but they knew that. Not impressed with this as we only booked due to our flight being Kate.

• En Suite Double Room

It was a double garage converted to two rooms. No drawers wardrobe just a few hanging hooks. Would freeze in winter.

Newly decorated and new facilities

• En Suite Double Room

The shower tube was defect parts of the water flowed elsewhere than intended. Air flow would be nice too as the room got very foggy with the bathroom door closed. If you are very sensitive for loud noises whilst in bed trying to sleep you better get some ear plugs because the takeoff flights are very close by.

Bed was very soft

• En Suite Double Room

No restaurant ! And the nearest is 10mins away. But was good.

Close to airport, so not to hard to get there. Pity they had to fly over head all night.

• En Suite Double Room

Alterations and building construction started early the next morning whilst we were still exhausted from our travel

Beautiful area and we were drooped off at the airport the next morning as we had read on the website

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• En Suite Double Room

Shower wasn't very powerful and the staff were fairly abrupt and unhelpful, we felt we were interrupting his television program by checking in

Close to airport, cheap, comfy bed

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• En Suite Double Room

I got there payed online and man at recpt ask me for £35 extra I told him my boyfriend will pay they cash when he gets here :( I'd payed all online and got confirmation no breakfast either I choose that hotel cause cheaper I only had £50 IN my bank at that time and room wash freezing cold we left at 4am I can't stay in cold room :(

• En Suite Single Room

I was only there to sleep for a few hours before a flight so issues with food wasn't a problem....but that said Takeley is only a few minutes drive away/ as are the motorway services.

Easy to find just 5 minutes drive from Stansted airport/M11. On site parking, and nice room in an annex complete with tea/coffee making facilities. Spotlessly clean and good value for a booking at very short notice.

• En Suite Twin Room

They say it's at Stansted Airport but it's 9 miles away with no shuttle do it's 30£ more for the travel from snd yo the airport! And they never answered when ee tryed to call them!

It was clean and confortable

• En Suite Single Room

Very small amount of hot water. Sometimes there's was no hot water. Extra tea coffee, sugar and milk was 20p each. The lamps was extremely dodgy. Everytime I moved the table the lamp was on it flickered like mad. Plugs were difficult to get in the socket. Seemed dangerous to me. For £45 it was very poor value for money

None of it.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

It's been 30 years now that I visit UK and everytime I try to book a place to stay I face same problems. This time beds were uncomfortable and too little, little space between bed and bathroom's door. Still not mixer faucet in bathroom's sink (please....). Shower with plastic tent is not hygienic anymore since 1984. No bidet as usual. Bus stop is 20 minutes walk from the hotel. Free shuttle should be booked 2 days in advance (!) by mail.

Near the airport. Beds were clean. Taxi is £5 per person to Stansted. Make sure you book it in advance.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• En Suite Single Room

Airport transfer is only included, if booked 2 days in advance and only once free per room. I ended up paying twice, although the free transfer was the booking criteria in the end. Not very transparent. Rest was neat but small.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• En Suite Double Room

No hairdryer in room. Hole in shower head so water spewed kut over horrible shower curtain. No milk for coffe in the morning. Ive stahed in better hostels. Paid £15. Extortio ate on top of cost. Dropped to airport to catch shuttle bus. 10 mins wait and 10mins to airport. Having ready taken 10 mins from accommodation. Horrible attitude of staff. Not helpfull. No wifi reception in my room. So had to make a an intl call in am to get through to anseerservice. No one got back to me so had to travel with wet hair

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• En Suite Quad/Family Room

Beware of extra costs. No staff on hand to help. Was basically a shed in the garden. Dodgy stain on bed spread! Seems better in the ad than in real life. You must clean after yourselves or be charged!

Close-ish to the airport.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• En Suite Twin Room

Room was very small, tea and coffee meagre and one of the milk cartons was off. The owner is inflexible and verging on rude. The price, even with a discount did not include breakfast and I didn't feel it was value for money. They advertise airport shuttle, but this is for a two hour window in the morning only and the taxi was £15 for a short journey.

Single beds were good size and comfortable

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• En Suite Single Room

I came on bus ,directions get of at Esso garage.walked around in dark no street lighting and eventually knocked on a door gentleman kindly took me to hotel which was quite a distance from main road.owner was not a ray of sunshine bathroom was freezing as no heat in it.an alarm was beeping in another room seemed all night.i left at after five and it was still beeping.cheap bed for the night was not cheap at end for me as I then had to pay £14 for a taxi to airport as there were no buses at that time from there or at any time.definately would not stay there again,not a hotel house with an annex.

Bed was comfy room was ok for price

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• En Suite Triple Room

We booked there because we thought it was close to the airport and they had a shuttle close. It was a 20 minute walk and no shuttle early, we had to pay for a cab

Not impressed

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• En Suite Single Room

It was quite deficult to get there with public transport,but I was, for free, transported to the airport when I had to leave.

Very nice and help full staff.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• En Suite Double Room

It was dirty very cold took over 30 minutes to find in the dark as no lighting over name of place was very surprised to find it had 4 beds and a kitchenette not nice at all

It was nice and close to our destination

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

• En Suite Double Room

Your website said just over a mile from bs town centre when it was over 5 which cost us £ 20.00 in a taxi, which I would like refunded. I email you (booking.com) early afternoon but got no reply. I didnot get any response from the guesthouse to emails and phone calls (as I wished to cancel). The owner arrived at the property at 5.00pm which was too late for us to book in else where.- Appalling. The leat you can do is refund our Taxi fare or I will not be using Booking.com again.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• En Suite Triple Room

The description is misleading. Free wifi actually means pay £2 for unlimited access as it's only free in the reception area. 2 heaters supplied/radiators that did not work. Establishment is double the distance in time away but still very close and accessible via taxi.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Pillows were not comfy. Definitely in the path of the flights from the airport. Very small space. The notes about warning you that if you used something you had to clean it or suffer a 30 surcharge.

The place was clean and neat.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• En Suite Twin Room

Booking.com information was a little inconsistent. On website it said free parking but that was only if you were staying min 2 nights and we had to pay for parking. Transfer was also free but by bus and not private transfer. This should have been made clearer on booking.com website

The owner very kindly took us to the airport early morning in his own car

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

The milk in the tea making kit came out in one lump!! Didn't like the fact that check-in was 5pm..

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The room I stayed in was very spacious too..

• En Suite Single Room

Staff not welcoming, although I was later than planned and apologetic seemed my staying was an inconvenience. 'Annex' left a lot to be desired, toilet filling all night quite drab and cheap, get what you pay for I guess

• En Suite Single Room

That there was no cooked food in evening and they could of put something out for early breakfast as I had to be at airport by 4am and the room smelt old 👵

It was close to airport

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

• En Suite Double Room

The walls are thin so you can hear when the neighbouring room light switches are turned on/off and the aeroplanes overhead are loud. Tea and coffee was available in the room but after drinking half a cup of tea I realised the UHT milk was a couple of months out of day. Thought it tasted weird! The guy almost drove off without me 2 mins after the transfer time so I had to run after the car. Pretty cold room. Comfy enough and not far from the airport.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• En Suite Single Room

The room was clean and tidy, and has all the necessities, bed was Comfortable and spacious. Towels and bath mat were replaced from fresh ones. I like the privacy of the room, i was given complete freedom to use the room. Parking large enough to fit all the cars.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• En Suite Double Room

the staff, he wasn't friendly at all and made us feel uneasy. Also we paid for wifi which didn't even work!!! I didn't even want to complain because I didn't want to have to face the owner. There was nowhere within walking distance to eat so we had to order a takeaway. There was no light in the corridor either

Free transfer to the airport

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

You had to pay £2.00 for Wi-Fi

That it's was only about ten minutes by cab to the airport. I order food from a pizza place and got in 15 minutes. This place is great if you got a early flight

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• En Suite Double Room

Didn't realise how close we were to Stansted or how loud and noisy it was going to be. Didn't like the fact that Wifi 'may or may not' reach all rooms, it didn't reach ours, and if you can get it you have to pay £3 for it. Didn't like the fact that if you use all the tea,coffee,milk etc, you have to pay 20p per item to get it replenished! Rooms could do with updating, it's very outdated,didn't realise shellsuits were being used as duvet covers!

The location was perfect as we were heading to a wedding in Abbess Roding.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• En Suite Twin Room

The exterior image shown of the property was very deceptive as the accommodation was not to the same standard. The room was very cramped, walls very thin,not particularly clean, no wardrobe, no mirror or dressing table, bathroom floor constantly wet after having a shower and the towels were tired and ripped.Very disappointed with our stay and would not recommend.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• En Suite Single Room

The bedroom was in a converted shed, cold, bed uncomfortable, dirty, located at long way from the airport and difficult to find. Very unfriendly owner occupier with no provision of food or drinks. This is not a hotel and with standards below 1 star.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• En Suite Double Room

The airport shuttle did not drop us off at the departure hall but at a parking space from which we had to take a shuttlebus to the airport.

We were checking in late, but this was not a problem. Room was small but fine.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• En Suite Double Room

Take care walking the narrow roads.

Closeness to airport - Taxi fare £14 to site from airport. Return was personally dropped by proprietor to airport shuttle. The local pub The George - only 2 mile walk away - serves great food. Returned via public walkways but we had advantage 9f GAIA GPS walk tracking App to not get lost.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• En Suite Twin Room

I am very sorry to say, but it really isn't a good place if you're not travelling by car. But that's also a bit my own fault that I didn't knew the place.

I very much liked that the owner drove us to the airport shuffle!!

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• En Suite Triple Room

We were not greeted transfers were NOT included although it stated they were so taxi cost us an additional £14- the receptionist was rude and unfriendly the room was very small and cramped

Close to airport

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• En Suite Twin Room

The owner happily drove us to the airport instead of having to arrange a taxi. It was a lot less stressful and the guest house is very close to the airport.

No breakfast / dinner

Convenience to Stansted airport; shuttle service

• En Suite Single Room

Noisey, accommodation not sound proofed and right under flightpath, so sound of planes landing late and taking off early.

Rudeness

The room

Very clean and comfortable

• En Suite Single Room

No breakfast and had to pay for wifi which at £40 a night should have been included.

• En Suite Double Room

No hot water on second night.

• En Suite Double Room

Rude staff and charge for card Payment

• En Suite Single Room

Lovely quiet little cabin with everything I need. Warm and good bathroom. Felt very safe and secure

Price

Great value and good location.

• En Suite Double Room

Difgicult to find in the dark. Accommafation was in a "posh" shed and not a proper room. No hot water in the shower.

couldn't find it easily

warm room

• En Suite Quad/Family Room

I left my car in hotel for 5 days , when I’m back whole passenger side was scratched and no body really care about it

• En Suite Single Room

It just doesn't live upto normal expectations i.e. the reception, the room, the operating hours of the reception etc.

Near the airport

cleanliness

• En Suite Single Room

It does the job. Overnight stay near the airport