Reviews of Harrow Inn 3 stars

#4 of 4 hotels in Lenham

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Harrow Inn 😁😁😁
    • Double Room with Spa Bath

Nothing, for me and my partner, the evening was brilliant.

The location was beautiful, the inn had lots of character and the room was spacious. The bed was so comfortable, we had the best nights sleep. The jacuzzi bath for 2 was amazing and the staff were friendly.

Surprised by the luxury of a four-poster bed.

Only slight downside is the narrow lanes leading to the venue

Surprised by the luxury of a four-poster bed. Very quiet location and a perfect stop prior to catching the cross-channel ferry in the morning. Very satisfied with the good "pub" menu for an evening meal.

This was a grim and sad place to stay, needing investment.

Décor grim. Shower-rail covered in rust. Bed uncomfortable. Bathroom floor grubby and tacky to walk on.

We did not like anything about this sad and dismal place.

unpleasant

Hotel was very run down. Bed was extremely uncomfortable, the bar was unable to sell any beer except bottled. The whole place had a damp smell about it.

Harrowing !!
    • Family Room with Shower

Where do I start, run down place in need of a serious makeover. Stayed in the family room as there were 4 of us. Room was freezing cold, beds were so uncomfortable. Medieval style bedding which served no warmth at all nor was aesthetically pleasing! We upped and left at 6.30am to head home to comfort. I would NOT recommend this place unless it was completely refurbished. Wish we would have saved ourselves £140 😤😡

It was close to the party we attended

Very enjoyable.

Meals were plentiful but my wifes steak was overcooked and a little tough.

Accommodation very good and the building was very characterful. Staff were very good and the breakfast also very nice.

An enjoyable and comfortable stay, but don't expect up to date standards for everything.
    • Double Room with Spa Bath

WiFi very poor. No ale available at the bar. Kitchen service prompt and good selection and what we had was good and tasty, but.. no scrambled egg for breakfast? Whole place is perfectly adequate, comfortable, value for money and very friendly but really needs some investment and modernisation.

Character. Friendly and attentive staff. Lovely big comfortable bed. Room has all you'd need without being modern. Cleanliness. Value for money.

Enjoyable stay;will return.

Toilet seat in bathroom was broken.

I enjoyed the rural and remote location which meant my room was quiet. I chose a basic room which I was happy with as although basic it was quite roomy. Very friendly staff and attractive location. Free parking. Practical for staying with my dog as room was on ground floor. (Supplement for dog is £6) Bar and restaurant also available but I didn’t try the food this time or see a menu.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Would visit again, but given the remoteness, was hoping for a quieter building.

Double glazing(but isn't a modern building), less creaky floorboards around the place, not being put together with the other couple guests, not being able to hear the TV from another room at 6am, being able to order half a pint of beer(they come in cans), less mould in bathroom. Couple of miscommunications on dinner and breakfast, but sorted easily.

Super comfy bed, radiators worked well so we could dry our our soaked clothes and shoes from before the stay, excellent location, ample parking, food wasn't too shabby.

Quirky overnight stop en route to Dover

The hotel is about 1 mile from the A20 up a single track lane. Luckily no traffic but could be tricky.

Comfortable bed. No issues with thin pillows that others have noted.

Was a nice little hidden gem.
    • Family Room with Shower

The only downside was the showers weren't very powerful but would definitely stay there again because it felt like a real hotel as opposed to a more clinical travelodge/holidaying.

Was a nice little hidden gem. Perfect little place in the countryside. Was a really nice 17th century inn.

OK for a stop over but the business/facilities need a little attention to detail.

The pork cassoulet cost just under £10, it was the worst dish I've ever been served. Also none of the beer pumps were working.

The bar man/waiter was very friendly and helpful.

Could do with a freshen up maybe

Boiler in entrance to room - luckily only started up once during night but on and off almost constantly from around 6am......no door to bedroom so boiler really loud!

Not a massive amount - food was allright - no draught though as cellar recently flooded

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

3.0

Needs a revamp.... don't think it will be open much longer....

Nothing....no wi fi no signal for mobile phone no fraught beer.In the middle of nowhere. 10 min drive to Lehman which is a lovely village.

A bad idea!!

Every where could do with a good clean, there was no towels in the room we had to ask, the manager bordered on being rude not very welcoming at all, there was no draught beer, a problem with the gas ?The whole property had a run down look with cob-webs every where, weeds growing out of the patio's the place needs a complete restoration and update, perhaps re-invent itself with some sort of theme. all in all a disappointment, paid £100 for at best £60 room

It was a lovely building, the meals were good value. bed linen and carpets were clean

3.5
    Lovely location- very shabby hotel.

No one on Reception when we arrived. It was locked with a note telling us to go in the bar area. Waited 5 mins before being acknowledged and sent back outside in the rain to the reception area to wait for staff to unlock the door. Room was dirty, dead flies were squashed on the walls and curtains. The bathroom walls were mouldy, the showerhead was black with mould and limescale, the toilet seat stained. Windows and frames were filthy. The dining area was very dirty, dead bluebottle flies all over our table and dirt, dust and cobwebs everywhere. The grounds were overgrown and uncared for. Staff cleared tables but didn't wipe/ clean them before resetting the table. Breakfast was expensive, we didn't want bacon and sausages so had a few mushrooms, 1 egg, half a tomato and cheap value, sliced bread for £6 each. No vegetarian option was offered.

Location was peaceful and pretty.

Below par and very disappointing. Only nice aspect was the staff - pleasant.

Bedroom was over pub and was noisy until after 11pm. Bathroom floor had cheap linoleum that was not glued down and I kept tripping on it. Windows had massive dust and cobwebs everywhere. Hot weather made the room horrible to sleep in.

Did not eat breakfast - left too early (6am) Had evening meal in pub attached that was fine. Dog had place to be exercised

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Ticked a box but unfortunately that’s all. Look after the barman!
    • Family Room with Shower

Booking was messed up. Apart from front of house chap the staff were grumpy. The room was dirty with cobwebs and dust in high volume.

Gentleman who worked the bar and front of house was a star.

dated ! over priced

2 male staff reception and bar are very rude men. not disabled feiendly no beer on pumps (flood) excuse we be had sun for 12weeks selling multipack cans behind bar for 4weeks I know of.. food ain't so good vege option poor bed was broken mould around baths water pressure is terrible over priced for what you get

big car park wifi

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Inflexible and poor attitude. Not in the business of keeping return customers.

Staff attitude and manner, except man who served breakfast, he was very good

Comfy beds, nice breakfast however rude and unhelpful staff and extra costs added on because we asked to collect a key early as were going to be out at a wedding until late. We had three rooms and had to pay £10 extra per room for the privelege of having one key early (didn't even need to access the room early just to be able to get in late at night). Breakfast server was friendly! Breakfast window was only 8 to 8.30 and a couple who had paid for breakfast were refused it because they arrived at 8.31! All in all, you get what you pay for but with extra charges and taxi fares as quite remote, actually no cheaper than staying more central

Nothing of significance

Broken toilet seat, mentioned but not fixed or repaired Very dated, paint peeling off wall Very dusty Mould on windows and in bathroom Poor shower

Nothing of significance

Basic but cheap and clean

It needs a revamp but again it currently matches the current price of rooms

I read the reviews on trust pilot and I was concerned but it was fine. Basic but that reflects in the cost. I needed somewhere cheap to stay to attend a party. The Harrow inn was in a perfect location for me and there was plenty of parking. The rooms were basic but clean, a good size and bed was fine. I would book again if the need arose

The inn has character and was comfortable, overall.
    • Family Room with Shower

The bathroom floor linoleum was warped, loose, and nailed into the floor around the edges. The shower mat, when unfolded to place in the bathtub, was caked with mildew. The dining area in the pub needs the large amount of dead bugs and cobwebs cleaned off the ceiling and walls near the door to the garden area.

The inn has character and was comfortable, overall. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Staff were lovely and very welcoming.

Bed was very soft and bathroom was not as well-presented as we would have like. Flooring was ill-fitting and hair in the sink.

Staff were lovely and very welcoming. Evening meal was great and very good value. Great location for Eurotunnel in the morning.

We had

Nothing. It was fine.

The Harrow Inn is a 17th century property therefore it is old and full of character. The staff were really helpful and friendly.

Extremely unpleasant. Unprofessional and rude management

The property is in need of repair and certainly not up to the the usual standard of Booking.com properties. I have attached photos of the state of our room number 9 and other problems. Extremely Rude and aggressive manager. My partner turned up for breakfast 8.50am on Saturday 30th June, which is ten minutes before end of serving deadline. We did say on arrival we would want breakfast around 8:30 am. We overslept a little but thought we had until 9am to order. When my partner went to breakfast room the manager (Who was foreign and not brilliant spoken English) said to him abruptly "Finished, no food available, you are late", with no alternative for breakfast. My partner came back up to room to advise me, so I too went down to breakfast room, and was also welcomed abruptly, telling me off for being late, I answered we were told 9 am deadline so why can we not have our breakfast which we paid extra for, he replied "you take the piss out of me and my staff, expecting us to wait behind after hours just for you and make breakfast?? I said well if the cooker is off can we please have cereals or something and he replies NO. I was really annoyed and asked for a refund of the breakfast and asked what the hell are we paying nearly £100 a night for in place with bad customer service and filthy accommodation. He followed me out of the breakfast room through the courtyard and abruptly pointed to a notice on the door stating if you do not turn up for breakfast you are still charged, but we did turn up!. Be it ten minutes before deadline. Later that evening when we came back from dinner at another establishment, the manager and two staff were sat outside in the front courtyard, they all stared at my partner and I with a really scowling look. The following morning we did not want to go down for breakfast as did not feel welcome at all, I felt they would probably of sabotage our food before giving it to us.

Convenient-we were walking the North Downs Way-but first choice would've been in central Lenham

Room and restaurant were dated and in need of a refurb. Vegetarian breakfast was a stripped down "full English" with no extras or alternatives.

Friendly staff

Silver fox

The single track road on the approach to hotel was a bit daunting. Check in was very vague. Entrance to the grounds was very scruffy.

The up grade to a large room with a four poster . Which wasn't requested. Lovely. Tea making facilities. Breakfast in morning was good

Dceent enough but a little dated

There was nothing that I didn't really like, my only observations really are that the Wi-Fi wasn't great in my room, but it was adequate and that overall the place would really benefit from an uplift in terms on decor both inside and out, as in truth it looks a little tired and dated, but compared to the prices of other accommodation in the area this is a fair bit cheaper.

Due to difficult family circumstances (a bereavement) I arrived much later than intended (around 11pm) I telephoned in advance and the staff were really good, although the bar was closed when I got there, after showing me to my room the owner got me a pint of beer which after driving around 400 miles that day I really appreciated. Breakfast was very good as well. There was plenty of car parking space. The location is problematic for mobile phone signals and there is nothing the owners can do about that but they very kindly allowed me to use the hotel landline at no cost.

ok I guess but with a little modernisation this place could be significanty better

I guess you have to take the price into account, £70. The property is quiet and tucked away; quite isoltaed/secluded. However it is tired and in need of an uplift. The menu is basic and reminiscent in style and approach to the 70's. The salad was just cucumber, tomato and lettuce; the prawn cocktail basic and the rare steak served near well done. Coffee is only instant and in this day and age that's really not acceptable. Staff were friendly and helpful and i guess with price paid the place is ok but it does need to move into this century really.

Ok if you like standard meat and 2 veg and 1970's cuisine or you are on a budget

Friendly clean comfortable place to stay whilst on business, more personable than the chain hotels.

locals in the bar friendly without being intimidating to lone female traveller - smiling faces despite the pub being flooded out in storms the week before. Clearly some other people had stayed at the Pub/hotel before and were being greeted by local friends

Very basic, poor quality bedding and mattress.

Very basic, poor quality bedding and mattress. TV didn’t work. Unclean, very out dated. Bathroom wasn’t great. Wouldn’t return and wasn’t worth the money at all.

Such great potential

A little run down and in need of a good spruce up inside and out. Dated decor poor quality furniture and beds with poor facilities. If this was done it would make the place far better.

The staff were excellent and made this place thoroughly worthwhile going above and beyond. Despite the problems mentioned above the place was very clean. The food from the restaurant was excellent as was the breakfast in the morning, concentrating on fresh local produce. The bar was well stocked with local beers and excellent wines recommended by the staff.

Great rural location!

Unfortunately due to exceptionally heavy rainfall the hotel's cellar was flooded on the day we arrived, there was a brief power cut, the WiFi was out for a day and the TVs didn't work for the whole of our 3 day stay. The general decor would benefit from refreshment.

As we were walking the North Downs Way, the rural location <1 mile from the trail was ideal. The member of staff manning the bar was very friendly and helpful; the cooked breakfast was great value.

Comfortable and relaxing place
    • Double Room with Spa Bath

N/A apart from breakfast. We refused to pay extra for that.

Very quiet, surrounded by trees and singing birds. Excellent bed and perfect Jacuzzi on a very elegant bathroom. Very good sleep, no noise from other customers. Absolutely perfect for those who like old properties.

Bed was extremely comfortable.

Seemed dirty toilet seat looked stained.

Bed was extremely comfortable. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good. The hotel was scruffy and uncared for. Would go back for a short stay. Lovely location and good helpful staff.

Quaint, traditional Inn

As with many places like it, the decor and feel of the place is a little well worn and could do with a refurb. However this does not diminish the character of the place, and almost adds to it in places.

A traditional British Inn located deep in the countryside. Quaint building and rooms.

Very pleasant.

I wish the OS map on the bar had been on the reception desk then I could have used it for my pre dinner walk

The location was more isolated than I expected from the address.

Disappointed!!

Restaurant table legs and cross bars were very dusty and condensation on the Windows left very black marks on paintwork. Hotel needed a good clean and upgrade! We didn't realise hotel was not in Lenham itself but down a winding single track lane to Warren Street.

Breakfasts were good value.

4.0
    We were charged for breakfast which we didn’t have.

Their attitude

We were charged for breakfast which we didn’t have. When we phoned the Harrower Inn to ask why we were charged they replied staff were there to serve us and they would not give us a refund

Disappointed considering the price of the room.

The decor and bathroom badly needs updating as its very old and tired looking. The bed was uncomfortable and was given a single duvet for a double bed. It was hard to take a shower as barely any water came out of the nozzle.

The towels and bed linen were clean. The owner was friendly.

Good enough for a couple of nights, if you're happy with comfortable but basic.

In need of renovating. Not 5 star by any standard, but adequate if you just want a bed and a beer.

Reasonable price for what you get. OK pub food. Helpful staff. Parking. Country location. Quaint old English pub.

Food and Hospitality great, just needs some tic to bring it up to a better standard.

The bathroom in room 7 was very disappointing, the floor was disgusting. The bathroom needs a complete refit. The bedroom was adequate but very tired, needs to be completely redecorating. If the bedroom and bathroom in room 7 was much better I would have rated the whole place and experience 100%.

The food and bar area was great. The fact that our dog was allowed to join us in as great.

Wonderful location, good value, little tired in places. Manager needs a little help with smiling

The manager could have been a little more welcoming. The room carpet needed a good clean. The steps in the car park area need some serious attention in terms of repair and removal of vegetation. The extract system in the bathroom needs attention.

The room was warm, dry, en-suite, had a coffee/tea provision, had clean bedding and very hot water

Awful, I cancelled the room for return trip and got Holiday Inn Sevenoaks for £25 less!!!!
    • Family Room with Shower

Filthy room, bed covers included, uncomfortable bed, worst night's sleep in ages ahead o a 12 hour drive the following day. Bathroom even worse - toilet wouldn't flush properly, cold tap wouldn't shut, toilet seat loose...

Location, close to channel crossing with a room that accommodates 2 adults and 3 children

Pleasant short stay with good food. Very quiet.
    • Room with Four-Poster Bed

The shower head didn’t work so had to have a bath. The place is a little dilapidated and could do with a makeover

The room was comfortable and very warm The food was good and the staff helpful

A disappointing venue for our w/e stay!

There was a general feel of dilapidation and possible imminent closure of business. Admittedly we stayed during the very low season. There was just not a jot of ambiance.

The friendly barman Colin, helpful. A good cooked breakfast was served. Very basic choice for continental. considering the price charged separately for this.

Good breakfast but room and bathroom very old and dirty.

The cleanliness.

The accommodation was comfortable but dirty. The bathroom was old and very worn. However the staff were great and breakfast very good.

Stayed here 3 times-now and can not find any faults.
    • Double Room with Spa Bath

The staff are friendly and accommodating, they even kept their restaurant open for just the 2 of us to eat when we arrived late. It has a real personal feel to it .

Never again

The bar was closed all day and all evening! Not what we expected when we returned after a long hard day looking for a relaxing drink with friends

Not much

1) Barman was especially friendly and talkative.

1) Room 10 - mattress needs replacing, too "saggy"! 2) Bath in room 10 had slight traces of mold in the tilework grout - could do with a regrout or refurb. 3) Middle of winter and the main pub bar heating was out of service.

1) Barman was especially friendly and talkative. 2) Awesome local sausages at breakfast! 3) Nice old pub in a deeply rural area atop the N Downs - very quiet.

Very friendly staff made to feel really welcome.

No signal on pnone and although there was free internet it was too poor to do anything with. That is just one of those things when you are out in the countryside.

Very friendly staff made to feel really welcome.

Relaxing

Wi Fi reception was very weak.. explained beforehand but off completely on 2nd day...not a major problem for 1 night though, but could be with extra days stay..

Good size room...quiet enough and decent bar facilities downstairs.. I was shown to room which was a nice touch..

Not wonderful - but acceptable

You had to go out of the restaurant area to access the accommodation - not too good in bad weather. Was difficult to find even with SATNAV.

Breakfast good

Very pleasant, but slightly diminished by issue of bed.

Bed was not the most comfortable - possibly base needs changing? Was slightly squeaky. Not so bad for one person but would imagine uncomfortable for 2!

Clear, attractively decorated reasonable sized room. Nice new en suite bathroom. Quiet. Could have dined there if wanted.

Comfortable but in need of some TLC

Decor was outdated and sloppy finishings. No Wi-Fi as detailed, bed made up was not very stable.. sink through the mattress and bed frame to the floor.

Great location and large room. Friendly staff.

overall we enjoyed the area.
    • Room with Four-Poster Bed

Our room was dated, The shower taps would not work properly, and its very dated in the room so could do with a make over badly..Staff were like robots and when I told them about the taps I was told to have a word with another man in the morning...The place would be very nice if it had the once over...

overall we enjoyed the area...

clean but low quality accommodation.

Room shabby,with damp patches. Smelt damp. Bed rather saggy. Needs a lot of updating. Nobody to greet us although we stated the time we would arrive. Had to phone through to get key as place was closed. Bit shambolic

Food good. Landlord friendly. Was clean

Good value for money, remote location.

Room was good although bathroom needs updating, wifi signal poor in room, better in the bar.

Service from the barman was good, extensive menu, nice restaurant.

Don’t believe other posts. Excellent value for money

Found little wrong, but the washbasin sink could drain quicker. ( that really was all I could fault at the prices charged)

Read a few reports prior to vist, don’t think they stayed at this hotel. Will definitely use again when in this part of uk

ONLY IF YOU NEED TO BE CLOSE TO TUNNEL

Previous reviewers as well as the manager have mentioned that the property requires and is scheduled for refurbishment. Couldn't agree more. The whole place is tired and would greatly benefit from an upgrade.

The only thing going for this property is its proximity to the Eurotunnel and it's very quiet with plenty of off-road parking. Room adequate at best. Breakfast passable.

Clean, quiet, friendly, affordable.

No phone signal, possible signal at the end of the car park, but hey, great way to get off grid and relax for the evening.

A bit out of the way and no phone signal. But for £45 I can live with that. Good sized clean rooms with hot showers and clean bedding. Bar if you want a drink and restaurant if you are hungry. Very quiet. Stayed a few times now when the price has been right. If the price remained static I would book it every time.

Convienet location but stayed in better for less. Unlikely to use again

Taking payment 48 hours before arrival and thought it expensive for the rooms we were given and the general facilaties

Nice menu and a selection of real ales

The standard of the bedroom let the place down. We kept telling ourselves it's only 1 night!
    • Family Room with Shower

the whole room needs completely refurbishing. It is very old and shabby and not in a shabby chic way! The bathroom was quite grim, the grouting filthy, nothing looked clean. The bathroom actually needs gutting and starting again.

The room was spacious, host was friendly

With a little updating this could be a really amazing place
    • Double Room with Spa Bath

Having a spa bath in the room was great - or would have been if the spa function had worked. The bath was OK, though, with oodles of hot water. We did report the failure of the spa function.

Food in the bar was superb and the best value for money that we enjoyed during our UK visit

Not happy
    • Family Room with Shower

We were charged for breakfast even though we didn't have any! When queried I was told it was clearly in their T's and C's and clearly shown at reception. I don't remember seeing it st reception. At the time of checking in my adult daughter advised we would go for breakfast at 8 but as it happened we couldn't go for breakfast due to the children being somewhat tired from a late evening. I was told the charge was for the 'preparation of laying the table'. I would not return to this hotel

The room was well situated and plenty big enough for a family of five although the 'double' bed was more like a three quarter sized bed. The bathroom though left a lot to be desired and wasn't particularly clean

Not good!

My wife got the key to our room but by the time I reached the front door with our luggage it was locked. I rang the bell twice but there was no answer, and I had no phone signal to call my wife. Eventually she appeared and told me the manager had said he would unlock the door, but clearly he didn't. Luckily it wasn't raining so I was able to 'enjoy' the night air for 20 minutes! We asked for a top floor room but we're not given one. There were only 6 cars in the car park so I'm sure there were top floor rooms available. The floor above us was creaky and we were bugged by the noise of creaking floor boards as the resident(s) above us walked about. Finally, I was appalled by the thick black grime on the inside of the window frames. I tried scraping it and wished I hadn't! Oh, and breakfast cost extra. So, although the location is convenient for us, I won't stay here again!

It's a good location for us, but I'll look elsewhere in future.

Did not feel comfortable, very poor condition, bathroom was diabolical, room was damp.

Extremely run down and shabby. Damp and in need of a full refurbishment. We booked 3 nights but felt so uncomfortable that we left after 2 nights as we did not want to go back there.

relaxed the wifi is not reliable so you can relax away from the mad world
    • Double Room with Spa Bath

wish we couid have stayed longer

fantastic old inn is the woods, great spa bath quiet relaxed and the the staff could not be more help full, antoine who is on reception as does anything asked a fantastic guy. we had too cancel our last night due too work commitments the next day and they offered money of our next stay. will definitely be going back for another weekend break . its so quiet.oh and the food is good too with big portions.

Should have stayed at premier inn

Land lord played with lap top too much. Dampness in room Freeview tv only 2 channels Virtually no signal on phone Wi-Fi poor

Big room Plenty of hot water bar staff friendly

4.5
    'The Harrowing' ....I think this should be its real title!
    • Family Room with Shower

Tired decor, dirty bulb in family room smelt of fish when switched on, argitrive fell off wardrobe door when you closed it. Big family room, beds o.k.

Its location

Terrible and very disappointing

As above

The accommodation was very tired and disgusting, the bedding smelt musty. I would never stay there again. The staff, one man was not very friendly. The beers were flat and disgusting. I cannot believe the price I paid for one night.

Ok but b&b needs some tlc
    • Family Room with Shower

Staff were rude breakfast was terrible my son who was 11 wanted pancakes they said no !we got 1egg 1 sausage 1 bacon and small portion of beans,bathroom was dirty the room was terrible,150 pound so not worth the money !

Area was lovely

Off the beaten track!
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The bathroom! Very outdated and dirty. Would also benefit guests by providing some information on local amenities. The hotel is very old fashioned and needs to lose the 80's look.

We stayed in a family room two adults, two teenagers, plenty of space and we all had proper beds as opposed to put-me-up beds for the kids.

I wouldn't return - not good value for money
    • Family Room with Shower

The hotel is very tired and needs updating and modernising throughout. Bed covers appeared a bit worn and tatty and just generally very old fashioned. Outside needs a really good clean up and repainting.