Reviews of Heddon's Gate Hotel

Heddon Valley, Martinhoe, Martinhoe, EX31 4PZ, United Kingdom

#1 of 3 hotels in Martinhoe

9.8

9.8

A beautiful building in an lovely natural setting handily placed for a stop along the coastal path

Room felt a little bare and impersonal - some art on walls or colour would have given it a more homely feel (though the view from window itself was as good as an oil painting!)

Owners very friendly and helpful - lift up to hotel from Hunters Inn very much appreciated and also booking of meal at Inn on my behalf. Large and comfortable room with great views and a good breakfast.

Quiet days in the Exmoor
    • Superior Twin Room

The Hotel lays in a quiet and green valley. The area is perfect for hiking in the Exmoor and on the Exmoor coast path. The owner Pat and Mark are very friendly and can give you a lot of hiking advice. Close to the Hotel is the Hunter's Inn (belongs to the National Trust) where you can eat delicious meals. There is also the starting point for many hiking tours. The Hotel is casual, cosy and clean and the cooked breakfast is fresh and nothing was missing, we even had fresh figs from the garden. The Hotel has excellent WiFi, a good Bar and a beautiful garden. The Hotel is perfect if you like to spend some quiet days in the nature. By car it is around 15 Min. to Lynmouth, where you can find nice shops and more restaurants.

Fabulous hotel and location
    • Deluxe Double Room

Clean and all the little luxuries. Chestnut was a beautiful room with an amazing view and comfortable bed

This was a hotel in one of the best locations I have ever stayed in. The owners Pat and Mark were so welcoming and helpful. Some of the best walks I have ever been on. A must is the old carriage way walk from Heddons Gate (5 mins away) all the way to Lee Abbey via Woody Bay and back via the South West Coastal Path ( about 18km) it’s stunning. There is a fabulous cafe selling the best Cream Teas in Lee Valley. A must visit also the Valley of the Rocks

A hidden gem.
    • Superior Double Room with Garden View

Quiet and good for walks. The owners were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was perfect and catered for vegetarians. This is a hidden gem with real and honest character in a beautiful location.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Peaceful hotel in a hidden valley

It was clean and comfortable. The hotel has been modernised without losing any of its 1930s character. Lovely feature windows make the dining room bright and airy. A snug, well furnished lounge with an open fire. Large terrace and lawns with amazing views catches the afternoon sun.

Exceptionally friendly and relaxed site, isolated fr k the...

Exceptionally friendly and relaxed site, isolated fr k the surroundings MFA in a very gone d way. Great venue to “get away” even though it is not far form many other attractions and sights

Welcoming, stunning scenery and great value

The hospitality was exceptional! Such lovely owners went above and beyond, called me to see if they could make dinner reservations, or if I would like chocolate cake on arrival! From the moment I arrived I had the best service, so warm and friendly and chocolate cake and tea were served to me on the patio with the awesome views! I wished to watch my favourite program on TV and I was encouraged to join them downstairs and watch with them on the big screen TV, invited to join the drinks at the bar and generally included despite travelling alone. Breakfast was great and nothing was too much trouble, walks from the hotel were recommended and the scenery is stunning well worth the drive off the beaten track, peace and nature with an overwhelming sense of being welcome. I would definitely recommend to any traveller the owner speaks many different languages and was always engaged in conversation with all the guests, both English and from overseas. What a gem of a place!

A very enjoyable short break

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location superb with lovely views over the Heddon Valley. Ideally suited for my main purpose of seeking out rare butterflies in the vicinity.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!

I loved how the hotel had a vintage vibe about it. I got shown around all of the rooms, as my stay was that good I'm wanting to book my parents into the hotel as well. The owners are so friendly and really made you feel welcome and at home. The bed was super comfy, the room was a great size, the bathroom was brilliant and the view in the valley was unreal from my room. Also the breakfast was delicious. It's a great place to relax and unwind and to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. I will definitely try and go back. Thank you for your hospitality.

Charming hotel, lovely food and people with spectacular views and walks literally on the doorstep.

Leaving !

Fabulous location, great hosts, great food and just a wonderful place to spend some time...well lots of time ! The owners and staff made us very welcome without fussing, I asked if we could make a couple of changes to the rooms booked and we had a vegan with us, everything was accommodated thoughfully and with a smile. The place is a gem as are the people running it.

A peaceful escape in natural beauty!
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Bed was uncomfortably hard and could feel the springs

Excellent hosts; Beautiful property in stunning setting; Close to great hikes in amazing natural beauty; Food was fresh and delicious; Loved the soaps and lotions in the bathroom

Fantastic HGH

Nothing really.

I booked this as a little day off to see North Devon whilst in the area. After a day of sitting in a room with no windows I arrived at HGH. I was greeted with tea on the terrace! My day was improving already. I was then given a map with the local walks, which start at the end of the road. I was fortunate with the weather and had a lovely walk to woodybay. Great for just an eve walk. I then had a lovely meal at the hunters inn, before heading home to the hotel. The room was very comfortable and kindly they had upgraded me to a double room, at no extra cost. Breakfast was fantastic, which set me up for another great day hiking. Everyone was so friendly and Mark gave me ideas of what to do with my day. The other guests talked about how lovely their evening meal had been. Maybe next time. Will definitely be going back.

Couldn't be surpassed- thank you, Pat and Mark.
    • Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Would have been great to be able to help selves to coffee at breakfast (although we were offered coffee at frequent intervals). Apart from this minor personal preference, all was perfect.

Owners were just great...welcoming and friendly...beautiful, peaceful setting... relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere... deep sleep courtesy just-right mattress...owners highly considerate re dietary requirements at dinner (and recalled at breakfast without being reminded)... highly flexible/helpful re changing original room choice...

Grand room, lovely bath, fab surrounding beauty
    • Double Room with Four Poster Bed

We wished dogs could be left to nap in the room while we ate breakfast.

Lovely breakfast served by the owners, just how we asked for it. Beautiful bedroom view and four poster bed made me feel like a queen!

We enjoyed the lovely walks from this hotel
    • Classic Double Room with Bath

We had booked because of the good food reviews, however when we arrived we were told that the restaurant was closed for the winter. Our room did not have a shower, which I did not realise from the booking information (and no view). The place needs a refurb - dated decor, and single glazed which meant we found the room quite cold (although a heater was provided).

A characterful place with an excellent breakfast

As above
    • Classic Double Room with Bath

This is an excellent place to stay. The proprietors were extremely welcoming and friendly and could not do enough to make our stay a great one. Would recommend it to friends etc. Would also return for another visit. The food was outstanding especially as we are vegetarians The chef made a special effort to accommodate our needs. Our dog loved it too.

Fantastic accomodation, great walks and varied weather conditions
    • Classic Family Room

Coming home and leaving that wonderful place.

The Hotel was just perfect. The owners were friendly, welcoming and made our visit just perfect. The food was very varied, well presented and tasty. Fabulous area for walkers. Highly recommended

Lovely get away
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

I think being dog friendly there should be a room dedicated to leaving your dogs instead of putting them in the car

It was lovely and quiet and the property was huge

A relaxing stay in a beautiful location. A hidden gem!

Bed was a bit too soft for my liking.

Hotel was in a fantastic location if you want to escape and relax. Even better was the fact that you couldn't get any internet or phone signal! Fabulous place to get away from it all. Excellent hosts and staff. So friendly and welcoming. Surrounding area is stunning.

Utterly wonderful, don't miss it!

This was a beautiful, quiet wonderful getaway. We were welcomed at the front door, shown round, introduced to other staff and generally made to feel entirely at home. This is a beautiful place, ran by such lovely people; we came with our three teenage children but will be back, just the two of us as it is perfect for walking, quietitude and lavish meals. What more can I say? Thank you so much, this is beautiful in every sense. Kate and Will McConnell Imogen, Angus and Muffy. xx

North Devon charm
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Our family booked an evening meal at the property after a day walking...Sunday roasts and I must say it was exquisite. Truly delicious meal enjoyed by all - their restaurant, bar and all staff were definitely 5*

It became "Heaven's Gate" to us!!
    • Classic Double Room

We received a very friendly reception. Mark and Pat were kindness itself Nothing was too much trouble. As a getaway from it all it was a fabulous location. We had the Acer room, Which was an excellent size and very comfortable. More than happy to go again.

Peaceful with wonderful views.
    • Superior Twin Room

The headboard banged every time I turned over in bed. Problem solved by a cushion. Walking back up to the hotel from the Hunters Inn. The 1 in 4 hill was a killer!

Lovely choice for breakfast. Pancakes was a real treat. Good size room with wonderful view. So peaceful. Beautiful gardens. Loads of parking. Great place to relax and perfectly placed for walking (if that's your thing)

Average at a push!!!
    • Classic Double Room with Bath

Evening meal was poor quality in some cases and generally not great value as all at a set price, £15 for over cooked pasta doesn't seem great value! The hotel is quite dated and in particular our room which had an old divan double bed and the bathroom light was missing the glass cover. The room had no view and was overlooked by another room so blinds had to be kept drawn to maintain privacy. Although credit cards are accepted they charge 2% on top of any transaction. Generally quite poor standard, it's a big B&B being described as a hotel! Not recommended for anyone under 45!

Very nice breakfast

Attractive property.

Attractive property. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Excellent food, much better dining here than at the nearby Hunters Inn with its rather ordinary pub grub and service.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Great hidden Gem
    • Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Great base for walking the coastal path. Owners very friendly and helpful. Food was good and also so was the bar. Very easy place to relax and get away from it all. Great to eventually find somewhere with no mobile reception.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Delightful family hotel in superb setting
    • Classic Family Room

A little cold at times....and few things missing in bedrooms, tissues Etc

Great attention to meals with chef taking a greAt interest in evening meals . Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. A very pleasant stay.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Soso
    • Superior Twin Room

The main sitting areas smelled musty The property is listed as being in 3 acres so we chose it hoping to go for some lovely walks with our dog but there is hardly any level outdoor space at all so the walking paths are tarmac from the hotel The property is not easy to find. When I spoke to staff on the phone for directions they told us to get to some pub then ask for directions from there - but that pub was hard to find ! They suggested I ring them when I got nearer but I was dubious about mobile reception so asked for an email with directions which she seemed reluctant to send - thank goodness I pushed the issue as there was no phone reception and it would have been incredibly difficult to find otherwise especially as we were arriving at dusk. When we arrived at our room it would have been helpful to have been given the basics - dinner and breakfast times, checkout etc but nothing was said. We could look it up but it's nice to be told. I went to go out to my car after 11 pm and the front door was locked and it was pitch black outside so I couldn't go. It would have been nice to be told beforehand when things close down. And maybe for there to be a note at the reception with a strong flashlight in these circumstances es. Finally we were charged £8 for our pet. I couldn't see anything about this in the booking confirmation so upon reading the fine print booking.com says there may be a supplemental charge for a pet. It's just nicer if these things are more transparent so there are no surprises. The breakfast buffet was very basic I'd read it was great so this too was a bit of a letdown

The twin room had a nice view Owners were friendly

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Stunning
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The location. It was really difficult to find for someone who does not know the area. I suggest phoning Mike, the owner, ahead of time, and he will give you good instructions on how,to find it. Quite isolated but that is not a negative.

The hotel was gorgeous. The owners are lovely and very helpful. The environment is beautiful. The hotel is not easy for find, but well worth it once you arrive. We had a delicious evening meal. We wish we had more than one night there.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Peaceful stay in a great location

No wifi in rooms, only in the lobby. Not a problem for me, but might be an issue for those on a business trip.

Great location, excellent food, clean comfortable room and very welcoming owners and staff.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Location and the friendliness of the owners

Location and the friendliness of the owners

Super staff.

Shower not too powerful.

Super staff. Made to feel very welcome. Very doggy friendly.

Excellent hotel for location, hospitality and comfort

Room and bed were really comfortable

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

• Classic Family Room

There was nothing I didn’t like

Perfect stay

Cosy hotel surrounded by a beautiful landscape, lovely owners!

Very kind and attentive owners
    • Superior Double Room with Garden View

Very kind and attentive owners Very comfortable bed Charming room Excellent soft-boiled eggs Very dog friendly

great owners.

great owners...V peaceful.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Beautiful location

Beautiful location

Exmoor Break
    • Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Nothing..it was all good.

Remote location.

Will definitely return
    • Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Friendly, helpful and approachable staff

Beautiful location, very friendly helpful hosts

Beautiful location, very friendly helpful hosts

A very relaxing and comfortable weekend, thank you.

All wonderful. The food, the hospitality, the comfort, the log fire and of course, the location !

We are happy to return and recommend to friends and family

We were looked after and spoilt, the food was excellent too.

Secluded

Secluded

Warm friendly relaxed away-from-it-all vacation

Coffee!!!

Welcoming host and hostess. Friendly staff. Relaxed environment.

Great staff - nothing too much trouble
    • Classic Family Room

Beautiful hotel let down by the food

Great staff - nothing too much trouble

perfect place.
    • Superior Twin Room

perfect place. i will go back again

Excellent place to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

All good

Friendliness of the staff, nothing too much trouble. Great location for peace & quiet.

Great experience in a most beautiful part of the world, but don't let anyone else know!
    • Superior Twin Room

Location is superb. Hospitality of the owners is excellent

Romantic break.
    • Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Would have liked to have stayed longer!

Everything, lovely welcome, excellent food, beautiful surroundings.

All you could wish for

Only leaving

Staff and facilities both excellent with no request being too much trouble

Very friendly management and staff would go again

liked everthing

This was a walking holiday and Heddons Gate Hotel is ideal for this

Lovely quiet hotel with great food.
    • Classic Double Room with Bath

I would have liked us both to be given a menu at the evening meal rather than one to share.

Food good & very hot

Stay here!

All good!

We loved it! So beautiful. Lovely breakfast. Great hosts.

Excellent cheers..

Great stay, everything was wondrful.

Fantastic

Light and airy and very comfortable

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Felt like a bed and breakfast rather than the hotel I was expecting.

Lovely quiet place to stay. Great for butterflies.

Fantastic location, friendly and helpful staff and good food.

Excellent location and very attentive owners

The bed was a bit hard

Excellent location and very attentive owners

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Great stay all round.
    • Superior Double Room with Garden View

Great stay all round. Comfortable, very warm welcome and above all a really wonderful place to relax and unwind.

Welcoming, friendly staff

Welcoming, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

very nice
    • Superior Double Room with Garden View

complementary tea and biscuits on arrival

Looking forward to coming back

Very friendly and helpful staff, amazing location, very good service, clean and tidy hotel. Looking forward to coming back.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

A chilled weekend 😊
    • Classic Double Room with Bath

There was nothing to dislike 😊

The hospitality was brilliant ,nothing was too much trouble, well worth a visit ..Can't wait for our next visit 😊

Amazing

Lovely people, will go back

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

Mark and Justin did all they could to make our stay...

Some areas slightly dated but they have done great things to the hotel in the time that they have owned it.

Mark and Justin did all they could to make our stay memorable. Fantastic food, prepared by Justin. Mark was an excellent host, welcoming us in after a days walking on the South West Coat Path.

• Reviewed: 18 April 2016

Very helpful and friendly owners.

A steep hill to the hotel - fine in the car - hard work if you're walking.

Very helpful and friendly owners. The view from our room. Somewhere to walk the dog. Food delicious including the pancakes for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

The owners were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and if...

The owners were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and if you're looking for a quiet rural location right near the coast this is a fantastic spot. The evening meal was excellent too!

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

The location of the hotel is fantastic!

The location of the hotel is fantastic! We found ourselves in a secluded place surrounded by peaceful and tranquil woods. The only sound was the wind in the trees. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The common areas are beautifully decorated and cozy. Mark and Pat the owners were friendly, accommodating and helpful. They did all they could to make us feel welcome. A small tip – reserve a table for dinner. The chef is great and the food fabulous.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2015

Location and welcome were great.

Shame the restaurant was closed the second night - food down the road wasn't a patch.

Location and welcome were great. Extremely helpful on the local area. Food was superb.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Staff were very helpful nothing was too much trouble to make...

Staff were very helpful nothing was too much trouble to make our stay as comfortable as possible on our first night away with our dog. The room was spacious and comfortable. Evening meal was lovely and recommended after a day walking.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

I have never felt so at home at a hotel.

No reception in area and it was a struggle to get WIFI signal. It was nice to not be getting emails etc but hard when trying to plan the next day out, it was hard.

I have never felt so at home at a hotel. The owners are the nicest people you'd meet and they make you feel so welcome. Hotel is beautiful and the area is incredible. Contemplating moving there

• Reviewed: 2 August 2015

Friendly greeting & hospitality by the owners.

Difficult to find would suggest getting directions from the proprietors before setting off

Friendly greeting & hospitality by the owners. Food was very good and a resonable price. Bar prices were also reasonable.Unique location

• Reviewed: 2 June 2015

Beautiful surroundings and ideal for walkers.

Beautiful surroundings and ideal for walkers. The owners made us really feel at home. Th children loved the amount of space within the hotel and outside. Good size family room meant we didn't feel we were sleeping on top of each other.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2015

Friendliness and Helpfulness of husband-wife team

Friendliness and Helpfulness of husband-wife team Their knowledge and expertise in walking Totally honest and high integrity The work they do is clearly very hard but they rise to the challenge

There are also 27 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.