Reviews of Highgrove Guest House 3 stars

63 Manchester Road, Bolton, BL2 1ES, United Kingdom

#5 of 13 hotels in Bolton

Cleanliness was not as I would expect. The duvet sheet was so old it was very thin and yellowed. New bedding, duvet, pillows and mattress required as did not feel comfortable.

The room was very spacious and light. All the facilities necessary were provided, the bathroom was modern and extra ammentities were provided making the room good value for money. Please note parking is round the back.

In general need of modernisation. The biggest drawback for me was the terrible wi-fi signal (I was staying in Room 9, the twin room), I needed to work on my laptop and have access to the Internet. Most of the time there was no signal, and when there was it was very slow. I think it just needs a booster. For me this was the main issue I had. The room had just what I needed, it is fairly basic, but very good value for money, so I can't really complain. And it was very clean, which is important.

Debbie really made me feel very welcome. Very comfy bed. Excellent location, 10-minute walk right into the centre of town. I couldn't fault the service at all.

room 5 over the kitchen so food smells from 7am but Hey Ho I was up early anyway.

The owner was lovely and also let me park my car for the week while I went away to Gran Canaria.

Not to keen on the surrounding property

The cleanliness of the room , excellent bedding very comfortable, great contact with the manager very pleasant .

The bed linen wasn’t clean, hairs and some sort of wrapping inside bed! Hairs in shower and around the sink!

Kettle in room. Free wfi in room. Quite spacious.

the shower fixed before we had to ask, then room was cold until we altered the radiator

thr room was clean and comfortable but we had to ask about the cold shower which was fixture later that day. Parking, lovely breakfast and good price

Very well presented and clean. Breakfast was very enjoyable. Main reason why we will return was Debra the manager. She was exceptionally welcoming and friendly

I stayed in a single room. It was clean and spacious, with a conformable bed. The whole decor was a little dated but the price reflected this. Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, and the optional additional breakfast well cooked, tasty and well priced. Excellent location around 10 minutes walk from the town centre

Some minor maintenance required in the bathroom (room 10).

Good location near the station with comfortable room. Really friendly welcome. Very good value for money. Good WiFi.

Cant say it could be better

Friendly debbie rang me to see what time we were arriving to say ring her and she woyld show us were to park which she did had a good nights sleep and a good breakfast well located for a walk into town centre wiuld stay again thanx debbie for the hospitalty

• Family Room

Shabby room, old and worn stained duvet cover and bedding, uncomfortable mattress, old flat well-used pillows. Woodlice crawling around the edges of the carpet. En suite shower room was freezing cold with cracked and dirty floor tiles, stained wall tiles and mouldy shower surround.

The lady who met me was friendly and cooked a decent breakfast. WiFi worked well.

Shower medium warm at max, Shower door nearly fell on me, moldy hardware (shower door cracks)

Easy to reach from train station. Easy, uncomplicated check in and check out.

On a busy road - I always travel with ear plugs as I am a light sleeper so no real issue for me.

Hospitality second to none. Great value breakfast. Real care and concern for guests.

The door for my room (room no.8) was very awkward to open and really needs to be repaired at some stage; the carpet was a little bit dirty (which was kind of off putting to say the least) and the kettle was not working, which was an issue as when I arrived at the facility I wanted to have a nice cup of tea or cocoa to drink before bed but couldn't (I eventually had to go into the kitchen to make a drink after staff were alerted of the problem). There was also an issue with the television which didn't help the situation either as I was forced to watch videos on my phone instead.

My stay at the Highgrove guest house was okay as the staff were really friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and tidy which was nice to see. Breakfast was great too!! There is nothing really more to say, as I got what I paid for (in a sense).

• Family Room

The rooms were spacious and beds were very comfortable. They did the job for us. Debbie couldn't do enough for us. I would recommend this property. Very close and working distance to town.

Had call that host does not live on site, please amend this info on booking details. Standard of bathroom cleanliness was discussed with manager and was gratefully received.

Warm welcome, cosy and warm room, perfect for one night and good breakfast.

It was value for money so no complaints. Tiny things like the key was a little awkward and the plug a little small in the sink so that the water drained away, but nothing that would stop us going again or recommending them. The hospitality outweighed such tiny issues by far.

Lovely owners who were very helpful and went the extra mile to ensure that our needs we’re met without being intrusive.

Thought the breakfast was overpriced, we had a full english which we paid £7 each for (same price for kids, I had a 10 &8 yr old).

Property was close to all the amenities and city centre and very easy to find. Bathroom was great with a walk in shower and plenty of room. Free wifi kept the kids entertained. Lovely attentive staff and very informative.

There wasn’t anything that I could say I didn’t like

For the night I spent there I was reasonably pleased but found the lady Debbie very friendly and i would recommend for any future bookings

The television did not work for BBC2 unless retuned every time. The shower only gave out cold water; this was known the previous week, so perhaps the room should not have been used until it was repaired.

The bed was comfortable and the room was warm. The staff were helpful in giving directions for somewhere to eat.

It’s was not clean, a lot of hair in the bathroom, the floor and sink were not very clean either. Very noisy inside and outside !! Room facing the very busy road even at 3/4am, the window was not sound proof at all. No plugs near the bed, I had to charge my phone at the other side of the room not practical to wake up in the morning.

The staff was very nice. Good location (near the train station).

Friendly staff, lovely clean rooms, very close to the town centre. Will Defo Utley recommend to any one wanting to stay in Bolton. We definitely use again next time I need a room

The WIFI was not stabile, often no internet. And it was cold during the day, I think there was a time clock during the day, it was getting warm about 17:00 h.

There was a problem with the shower - I tried for 10 minutes to get the temperature up but it could only reach tepid. Also some of the bedding could have been cleaner. The glass shelf in the bathroom was wobbling about & was very insecure and there was a big crack in the sink. There was also a gap in the door to the room which I had trouble locking.

The bed was really comfortable. The room was cosy and warm. It was very quiet. The breakfast was excellent and the staff were friendly. Was perfect for an overnight stay, despite its faults. Was a shame I couldn't have a shower..

The location was homely easy to find, was comfortable and clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. The breaskfast was very enjoyable and good value.

The room was very cold. The shower was lukewarm on the hottest setting. The beds were very soft and squashy- not to my taste.i had a room on the top floor and the wi if signal was almost unusable.

Very friendly staff. Breakfast cooked to order. Nice modern flat screen tv in the room. Complementary sweets in the entrance hallway were a nice touch. Lots of sip ace to hang clothes and an iron and ironing board on the landing.

The weather! rained all day/night!

Staff very freindly. place clean and warm. WiFi and TV. five minutes walk from town centre. Plenty places to eat and drink at reasonable prices. Made very welcome in the morning, greeted with an exellent breakfast cooked by a fine bolton Lass!!

rooms are nice and big had the pleasure of having a en suite bathroom as well. Had a very pleasant stay and the hospitality was spot on. Definitely recommend this place to anyone and very good value for money 5 stars from me good job Debbie keep up the good work 👏🏼👍🏼

The room was a bit shabby and the bathroom in a really bad state with a padded toilet seat which can't be hygienic. The floor tiles were cracked and the shower mouldy.

The breakfast and location

the only, only down side this time was that someone in a room close to me had some music pumping out at 4-5 am and laughter and voices..................."they" could have been more courtious and considerate of other guests............................................2-3am you could live with that but 4-5am is a little over the top........maybe they wished they were back in ibiza??!!

decent price, clean, warm,comfortable easy parking, nice staff,...this was my 3rd-4th visit and i will be staying again before the end of the year.

Excellent accommodation, brilliant location 5 mins from Bolton town centre. Very clean and first class staff - will definitely be booking again next time we are visiting family in Bolton

We only had half a toilet roll and no towels, maybe given wrong room as one next door had everything but no one stayed in it. Check out time is abit too early. Not a problem as we only slept there and had everything we needed at the end of the day.

none

As always my stay was very pleasant. Everything met my requirements. I find it like home from home in every way. Clean accommodation throughout. Friendly staff and good breakfast to start my day. I have been using this guest house for a number of years and always be satisfied..

Poor wifi connection. would have liked a second chair in twin room or a chair at the little table.

Good price. Excellent and friendly staff. Was able to park in rear of building. Good breakfast. Close to town. Shops nearby.

Break fast is an extra £6 I only had one fried egg and toast and was still charged £6 to me this is too much and Break fast finishes at 8 am. There was also a very strong smell of sewage outside the guest house. The guest house is located in a very deprived area with nothing to do in the evening.

The manager was friendly.

Slight smell of damp, beds not the best, door not the easiest to open and then signs to say if you break the key, you would be charged.

Location was good for us, gentleman who helped us was friendly enough. Room a good size. It was fairly good value for money

I received the best customer service I have ever received from Deb during my stay here. She went above and beyond for me and was so helpful and friendly. She is a credit to anyone she works for and made my experience so positive here. The room was also lovely and clean and bright and I was upgraded from a single room on arrival. Couldn't recommend highly enough.

The shower did not work too well but as we were only there one night it was not a big problem There was nothing else to dislike

Very friendly welcome by the manager was in a good location for us as we needed to get to the town hall and university for our granddaughter's graduation The room was a god size and the bed comfortable The breakfast was good

When I got there I'd forgot to say I couldn't do a lot of steps the lady that was there let me use the single bed in the family room which was on the ground floor it was lovely thank you for your help hope to stay again x

The room I was given was very hot, no air conditioning.....quite uncomfortable

The location is perfect as it's very close to Bolton central station.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

More choice for breakfast. It would of been good if Debbie had some help,since she was recovering from a car accident.

Beds were comfortable. The lady Debbie was excellent working single handed most of the time.

Perfect location, within walking distance of all the shops and bars. The owner was really friendly and accommodating. Very competitively priced. The room was clean and had everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Room (No 4) 'dated' & in need of New Flooring. Bathroom also in need of Improvement & Decoration.

Easy to find, Parking at rear, warm welcome from Manager-lovely Lady. Good breakfast, quiet.

Owner wasn't happy that I arrived an hour later than stated on the website. Telling me he normally doesn't let people in after 10pm & when I asked about parking as it's on a main road I was directed to the back of the building but wasn't told I would have to walk back round with all my bags to get in.

Great location close to Bolton town enter, only a 10min walk or a 3 min drive.

Very noisy at night at the front with lots of traffic noise. Dirty and tired decor. Beds uncomfortable. Unhelpful owner who wouldn't even let us heat milk for porridge despite us not having the full breakfast that we had paid for.

The location was ok

it's a little far out, but luckily there is a station within 6 minutes walking and it doesn't take long to get to Manchester.

Although I didn't interact with the staff much during my time there, they were all extremely friendly when I did. Everything was clean & the water was really hot. There are also plenty of food options right down the street.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

No complaints.

Excellent breakfast, friendly and efficient staff. Clean and comfortable en suite room. Good value for money. Good location near town centre.

The shower was confusing and the lightings a bit dim.

The guesthouse was close to the train station and really easy to get to. The staff were lovely and the room was big and clean.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Heating turned off. The towels a bit old. Used them but wished had brought mine.

The receptionist was excellent. He was welcoming, helpful and made me feel at home. The down side was that at one point the heating was turned off and froze. The place is at the heart of city which was good.

Would benefit from some refreshing of the decor. No communal areas so without going out of the house only option was to stay in my room by myself.

Wonderful breakfast, comfortable bed and room with fast wifi.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

The ensuite needed refurbishing. It was old, worn, grubby and I didn't want to use it. The carpets felt grubby. I didn't want to walk on them with bare feet.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

The sink cracked and hairy, door handle broken, lock (didn't feel secure- needs internal bolt).

Very cheap. The location is near town centre but in a retail area. Staff friendly. Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Nothing I was impressed with everything.

Greeted nicely & felt at home when I arrived. The owner made everything easy. I would defendly stay here again.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

The breakfast could have been freshly cooked. Décor needs updating. The cleanliness could have been better, dust everywhere. I could have been put in a room (I was in #2) The carpet was torn in this room.

The location and price of this property is what drew me to it.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

i like the location (10 minutes from the gig), the staff are great, car parking is great, easy to find, good value for money,...& i return this coming saturday, would recommend to anyone

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Shower room needed a spruce up and a move around of fittings for better ease of use.

The owner was very friendly and chatty. She made us feel comfortable from the beginning. Our room was on the ground floor which was brilliant because of my disability. She was not pushy, asked about breakfast but we refused as we were leaving very early.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

The place is a bit worn down (but again, what to expect at that price)

Very friendly and helpful staff, very good value for the money Would definitely use again

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Nothing I did not like..

Clean and homely accommodation; well cooked breakfast and polite friendly staff. My fourth time stay; looking forward to my fifth! Excellent value for money too!

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

We were disappointed that we were downstairs and all we could see was a brick wall. On the plus side we were not overlooked.

Comfy beds,clean towels. Very good breakfast. Good value.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Customer relation skills at this establishment was sadly lacking and in fact none exsistant. Staff were explicitly and Unnecessarily adversarial from outset.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

This is no longer a guest house but rather working persons hostel. Our basement room was cold, damp & smelled of mold. From the dated decor to the peeling paint, I would not use this facility again, much less recommend it. Very disappointing.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Great place to stay for Ironman Bolton, and added bonus early Breakfast (3:15am) Only 5 minutes walk from the finish line. Couldn't of been more helpful or accommodating. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Dave was fantastic and really help out the family with trouble that we were having. Can't thank dave enough neither can the children. Thank you. Rooms spacious and extremely clean. Excellent value for money. Definately recommend

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

There was nothing to fault during my stay..

Hospitality was fantastic and offered a homely atmosphere. The breakfast was well cooked and the service was professional as well as friendly. I have been now 3 times and will definitely stay again this year!

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Family Room

The guesthouse could do with a bit of paint here and there. Debs is an absolute darling she makes you feel at home,we were well looked after. Thank you Debs..Pauline, Janet and Sarah room 5

bed was very comfortable if a little narrow for me

Needs a little spruce up and shower head didn’t fit into its fitting.

Location, warmth, price, staff

All good for me.

Bed was comfy. Plenty of storage in room, we were only 2 nights but room for plenty more. For the price it was exactly right.

The rear and parking area was inadequate and the surrounding area was overflowing with accumulated rubish !!!!

The rooms were ok.

bed was really nice room was nice and dark as had sore eyes so was brilliant

Nothing really all was expected

Easy check in and check out Clean room and hot shower

Clean, comfortable, curteous and well priced. Near station and town centre transport interchange.

There was nothing I didn't like about it.

Everything I needed was within walking distance

close to Bolton if going into town

shower needs updating

staff friendly and helpful nothing too much trouble really enjoyed staying there