Reviews of Hill Lodge

8 Newton Road Sudbury Suffolk, Sudbury, CO10 2RL, United Kingdom

#5 of 8 hotels in Sudbury

Not as expected and would not stay again.

Tv in room would not work. Check in took an age due to staff not knowing how to input code on door. Being constantly told not to forget our code to get back in at night.

Nice location, comfortable and clean with friendly owner and staff.

Usually we’ll appointed but this time there were no toiletries in the bathroom and no spare loo roll. An oversight this time I’m sure. I’ll definately stay again!

I’ve stayed at Hill Lodge over the last three years and each time further refurbishment and improvements have been made to enhance facility. Really nice room, quiet aspect and good size bed for a tall person like me.

• Standard Twin Room

The guy checking me in didn't have a clue what he was doing, he was on his phone on a video call to someone throughout checking me in which actually took around half hour! After coming back from a night out I had misplaced the door code I was given to enter the building after hours, I rang the number displayed on the reception door but after ringing it 8 times I gave up and started knocking on the door and window persistently to attract the night porters attention with no luck! Regrettably I continued to knock loudly until eventually a guest ended up letting me into the building!! I then had to sleep in the reception area until the morning receptionist arrived and woke me up and then gave me my room key code. All credit to receptionist she was extremely apologetic and told me that she would get the manager to see me. Within five minutes he knocked on my door saying he didn't know how he didn't hear me knocking as he was in the room next door and basically called me a liar!! I asked for a refund which was £70 but he only offered me £30!! I managed to get £40 in the end but I Left extremely unhappy. I've stayed there a few times before under the previous owners and I never had one single complaint at all!! To put it bluntly, the level of customer service is quite frankly non existent.

disappointed

Light in bathroom didn't work blind in kitchen area broken.No tea bags in room and nothing replenished next day.room had been decorated but nothing superior about it at all.lot of work still to do in hotel if they want to stick to this terrific!will leave it a few months before we use it again.it is the location that is perfect for us, as my family live close by.

Stay there before out of necessity did not like the hotel , still do not.

TV did not work properply, because the receiver was not getting a signal. No cooked breakfast on a sunday, unless pre ordered. Part of the reason for none cooked breakfast , not enough customers to get staff in on a sunday.

Very much suited my needs, I could walk to the places I needed to visit.
    • Small Single Room

I could hear other guests voices quite late into the night

Good car parking and excellent location for the centre of Sudbury, very friendly and helpful staff

The staff were very helpful.

Had to pay extra for breakfast. Room was marked up as £75.00 superior room. It was ok but more of a £60.00 room. Bathroom could do with updating.

The staff were very helpful.

Not great!

My room was cold. The bed wasn’t very comfortable and the pillows were lumpy. I was woken up both mornings at 7.45am with music blaring from the breakfast room below. The cooked full English breakfast was terrible. Sausages were disgusting, completely inedible and everything else was over cooked. Service was awful too.

My room was a decent size but that’s about the only positive thing I can say sorry. I was in the deluxe double.

Cheap and cheerful but wouldn't choose to go back.

Despite non smoking signs, rooms smelled of stale smoke and there was a cigarette butt floating in the toilet. Staff friendly but the suggestion of a kebab house as a place to eat in Sudbury was underwhelming, particularly as I'd said I was a vegetarian. When I reminded her, she suggested I could eat chips! It was funny but on a serious note, I'd expect staff to be able to advise a stranger to the area on where they might be able to get a proper meal out. A kebab house or Dominos might be a suggestion that works for a teenager, but I'm an adult. The shower was awful, not sure if the shower head was blocked but it hardly had much spray and the adjustment went from too cold to too hot, which was not comfortable. Given that the ensuite facilities were about the size of my understairs toilet, there was no option of having a bath instead. Kettle lead too short to be safe and kettle thus perched precariously on the edge of the shelf; indeed the base fell off as soon as I picked the kettle up, easily sorted with an extension lead.

It was convenient to where I was training, parking was ample and wifi worked without problems. Room was warm and clean. I booked last minute and it was one of the cheapest rooms available in the area.

Great for a comfortable overnight stay.

The bathroom was very small, but I didn't need to use the shower as it was a one-night stay.

The bed was very comfy, the location was great and the staff were very friendly upon check-in. And just down the road is the local station, the high street with loads of lovely shops and pubs.

very enjoyable will return

Staff was lovely n friendly the receptionist seem to b jack of all trades as the next morning she was serving us in breakfast room and also cooking it because they were short staffed - did wait awhile for breakfast tho.Room lovely few little things need to be changed - light over mirror for hair and make up Flannel n tissues in bathroom The bar wasn't open and would have made our stay even better - altho was told the new owners haven't got a bar licence yet - so hopefully when we return to Hill Lodge it will be open

Convenient.
    • Small Single Room

Had not taken into account disability and booked into upstairs. However, the young lady at reception sorted things out to our satisfaction.

Convenient. Helpful reception.

Pretty good value for money. One of the cheapest in the area

The bathroom was terrible. The booking said that we had a bath but we did not and the shower took about 20 mins to warm up from ice cold water. The bathroom door did not close and the shower is literally over the toilet with no enclosure

The bed was very comfortable and they were very relaxed about check out times

Not bad

I was asked for ID to be copied, when asked why the girl said people had left without paying but I'd already paid so I said I'd rather not! Reception girl was coughing & blowing her dripping nose while showing us our room, Room small but adequate, Not keen on security coded rooms-prefer keys!!!

Comfy bed, clean room Inc bathroom, close to town

Could be a really good with a little work.

It would appear that the property has recently changed hands and the owner wasn't well. The standard room was OK for an overnight visit but the on suite was strange in that it was a mini wet room so that when you had a shower the loo got a shower as well.There was also no heating in the wet room so that it took forever to dry. The breakfast was average and the bread for the toast was awful. The new owner had at the time of writing not got a licence for the bar so that was closed also the lounge furniture was rather tired and tatty and was locked on our first night so we couldn't use it. The staff were friendly and helpful but I felt that they were struggling. We possibly should have chosen a better room where would possibly have been a lot more comfortable. We were offered a different room but it was only one day short of us leaving and we decided it wasn't worth the hassle of moving.

The property was located within easy walk of the town.

Dire . Glad to go

Cleanliness (toe nail on carpet) dirty panels . shower no hot water door to bathroom wouldn't close handle on shower door inside plastic bottle top . Breakfast very poor one member of staff trying to do everything couldn't have toast machine burning it setting of fire alarm asked for butter didn't appear

Nothing glad it was one night only

Convenient and comfy.
    • Standard Twin Room

Burnt myself on the kettle steam due to positioning of kettle and type of kettle. Mentioned to Reception who were very apologetic and I was advised the hotel will be undergoing a refurb soon and kettles will be updated.

Great location, welcoming friendly staff. Whilst everything was a bit tired, the beds were comfortable, small room, good shower. All in all a good stay and we will be back.

In easy walking distance to town centre

Small room. No place to store suitcases. Could feel mattress springs when lying on the bed. No room to move around bed. Staff were friendly but unprofessional and difficult to find. Continental breakfast limited. No other meals offered. No bar available.

In easy walking distance to town centre

good enough for one night and prize
    • Standard Twin Room

the lack of staff there was the next morning only a young boy who started 2 days ago and completely left on his own

the location and the parking was great. clean and everything there

not great .
    • Small Double Room

We were facing very busy rd and was very noisey we paid extra for better room was no better at all smelt of damp only one cup for coffee the other was paper tv made the most terrible noise when on curtain was hanging off luckily we were only in it to sleep as at family wedding hopefully will improve as got new owners now .

The fact you could walk out .

Hill lodge is one to dodge -disgusting
    • Superior Family Room

Cleanliness - room smelt horrible, toe nail clippings on the floor, sweets beside/under bed, toilet Wasn't flushed from previous user, cups dirty no tea spoon. Electrical equipment PAT test failed. Ensuite dirty and smelly. Breakfast was very poor. Majorly understaffed. Very disappointed especially for the price.

The place was dirty.
    • Small Twin Room

The place was dirty. There was rubbish left behind from the previous occupant, but worse than that, the bathroom was really grimey. The doors did not shut properly, walls paper thin. Over priced for the quality of the stay.

Okay for an overnight stay
    • Standard Twin Room

Not being told that their was no licence for them to be able to open the bar. Cleanliness of bedding could have been better.

Very accommodating in letting us bring our own alcohol into the bar area. Fantastic location

Disappointing.

Bathroom was very basic. I was told at the hotel I would be charged £55 but in fact was charged £75. We did not have breakfast or anything extra.

The room was clean

The location was good, the staff was friendly easy parking
    • Small Double Room

The pillows were very flat, the bathroom was a wetroom but too small. It was quite difficult not to splash water on the clothing and slippers.

The location was good, the staff was friendly easy parking

Short stay at friendly hotel in Sudbury
    • Small Double Room

Very friendly and helpful owner. Lovely breakfast. Easy walk into town. The bed was comfortable and the shower was hot and powerful. We were in a small double so we had a wet room which is small but it worked so no complaints.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

One of the best
    • Standard Twin Room

As per a previous comment you do need a grab rail by the shower as it would be difficult for the elderly or disabled to climb out of the bath after having a shower.

The room was a good size and the bed very comfortable. The landlady was very friendly and it was like home from home.

Not recommended.
    • Standard Twin Room

The room was musty and dirty. The bathroom had mould all round the ceiling edge. Poorly fitted out. The beds were little more than camp beds and the linen was dingy. Tea making facilities were limited and the cups and glasses were dusty and stained. We booked breakfast but changed our minds when we saw the dining room and the resident dog. Not good value at £70!!!!!

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Convenient stop-over for visiting family and friends in the Sudbury area.
    • Small Single Room

Nothing, really, though it's a fairly basic place to stay and could probably do with an upgrade.

Short-staffed when I stayed this time, so no hot breakfast available, but a reasonable cold breakfast, with toast, was offered free of charge.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Family visit in Sudbury
    • Standard Twin Room

The room, though a great size, looked out onto stone stairway and wall which made the room dull with little natural sunlight

Full cooked breakfast made fresh every morning

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Would stay here again in larger room at the back, but not in a small front room.
    • Small Double Room

Waited 15 mins to check in - no staff to be found. First room was small double (cheaper) very small and noisy. Luckily were able to move due to cancellation. Reception not very inviting and corridors rather stale smelling. Bathroom window and sills were dirty, otherwise clean and bright room.

Moved to a room at the back which was large, light and bright with a bath. Well worth the higher cost. Breakfast was good. Pleasant dining room. Mainly saw one staff who was extremely nice, but seemed a bit overstretched.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Comfortable bed
    • Small Single Room

The room décor was a bit tired, and was in need to decorating, and the shower/toilet unit was a bit grubby and old.

I stayed in room 2, the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Disappointing on cleanliness front.
    • Small Double Room

Cleanliness - a previous review said clean so I was really disappointed when I went into my room as the bathroom was not clean at all - hairs in basin and on glass shelf, no toilet cleaner in toilet. It just hadn't been cleaned. You know when somewhere is clean - it smells clean and this certainly did not. I was staying - unfortunately - two nights, but on second morning someone must have come in and at least wiped over bathroom, removing hairs and putting down cleaner in loo. Very disappointing as cleanliness is crucial.

convenient location, 5 minute walk to Sudbury centre

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

excellent location
    • Small Double Room

all was good, parking area was busy but we were still able to park

Very close to Sudbury town centre. Staff friendly and helpful at all times. Room comfortable.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Use if you have low standards or are stuckbut very nice owner, shame.
    • Standard Twin Room

Begging dog from the hotel in the dining room, burnt toast, incomplete breakfast charged at full price, two different cookings of mushrooms - 1/4 overdone 3/4 virtually raw.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

Comfy beds, quality linen and spacious rooms, plenty of...
    • Standard Twin Room

On booking of 2 twin rooms, each was of a different standard so I think prices should vary because of this

Comfy beds, quality linen and spacious rooms, plenty of storage for long stay, lovely view from window, slept very well

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Nice stay at Hill Lodge
    • Small Double Room

Little dated and our room (no.6) could do with a new carpet but it's good value for money and a good place to crash for one night, which is what we did.

The bed was comfortable and we were kindly given a free breakfast in the morning.

The staff were great

The staff were great

The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet.
    • Standard Twin Room

The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet.

Bathroom,kitchen

Old sofa

Bathroom,kitchen

it suited our purpose
    • Standard Twin Room

strong smell of paint in room just decorated

nice new room

Ok

The shower

The staff were friendly and helpful

Towels were very poor, looked dingy and had holes in them.

Towels were very poor, looked dingy and had holes in them.

Arrived and greeted by a member of staff and was really pleasant

Nothing that I didn’t like

Everyone was really lovely nothing was a problem and sorted very quickly

Close to town centre.

Shabby decor. Couldn’t close bathroom door as no door knob. Bed very uncomfortable could feel the springs.

Close to town centre. Plenty of parking.

Strange shower

Strange shower

Comfortable room,helpful people,value for money

Comfortable room,helpful people,value for money

Pleasant overnight stay

nothing.

room was huge and the bed was comfy. that's all we needed for our stay.

It needs a good clean!!
    • Superior Family Room

The hotel is dirty! Needs a deep clean. Stains on the bathroom walls & ceilings. Needs more secure doors.

Clean bedding

Very good

Very good

Basic hotel. Clean but dated. Staff friendly but not hotel trained.
    • Small Double Room

Poor bread selection and no fruit or muesli

Very basic selection. Found orange juice and yoghurt afterwards. No one gave instructions.

family bbq weekend
    • Small Double Room

housekeeping [lack of], replenishment of facilities

ease of check in/out

cheerful,comfy and relaxing.

cannot think of anything

the staff were very cheery and helpful breakfast varied and delicious room airy and comfortable

Happy with my choice

TV reception not reliable

Escape From The Village Of The Damned, Again......
    • Small Single Room

I'm not a big fan of Summer.

Solitude, as long as you respect in kind.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

FAB The Sequel
    • Small Single Room

Great, if you're running away from something.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

FAB!
    • Small Single Room

Just the toilet, but everything else was fab!

It's a family run pad, for "outlaws" looking for refuge.

FAB!
    • Small Single Room

I don't drink coffee, something "stronger".

For 1 or 2 nights a good value B&B
    • Small Double Room

Good location for the town

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Bed was comfortable
    • Small Double Room

Not now the code for the door to get back late at night

Bed was comfortable

Staff were very friendly.
    • Small Single Room

Name badges for team members...major credit for team

Staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Two nights of peace.
    • Small Single Room

There was nothing I didn't like.

I just enjoyed being there.It was very good value.

Excellent value and very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Would recommend

Food was good

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Excellent place for a short stay
    • Small Double Room

Breakfast was perfect. Room was spotless with everything we needed. Owner was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

cooked vegetarian breakfasts.
    • Small Single Room

The bed wasn't very comfy

cooked vegetarian breakfasts. Also short walk to town.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Good value for money
    • Small Single Room

Being close to town, It was rather more noisy than I would have Liked.

Very friendly land lady, and her assistant, Poppy!

Very good value for money
    • Small Double Room

The room could have done with a bit of a dusting.

The breakfast was superb for the money, served very promptly in a friendly manner.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

REasonably good and reasonably priced hotel victim of traffic situation Sudbury
    • Small Twin Room

Traffic situation in the arena

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Nice short stay at hill lodge
    • Small Double Room

Shower was very close to toilet but it wasn't a major problem.

Staff were very friendly and flexible to our needs

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

family history
    • Small Double Room

parking a little tight and tricky

location and staff

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

a lovely hotel
    • Small Double Room

Did not like bath and over head shower didn't work properly

Easy access to sudbury with in walking distance

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

owner could not have been more helpfull

owner could not have been more helpfull

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Cosy and comfortable stay
    • Small Double Room

The staff were wonderful. Very friendly and chatty. Everything was very clean and tidy and well kept with a homemade breakfast in the morning.

There are also 40 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.