Reviews of Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel 4 stars

National Exhibition Centre, Bickenhill, B40 1PP, United Kingdom

#16 of 19 hotels in Bickenhill

• Executive Queen Room with Lounge Access

Check if there is children's swimming lessons on, as the pool gets crowded. The changing rooms then are full with parents and children which left me no room to change. The jacuzzi at the side of the pool is very small. TV in room and around the hotel need upgrading with a better aerial or system as the picture even in the communal areas was very snowy.

pool is great, especially when the sun is shining through the glass roof, changing rooms are spotlessly clean. The suites are lovely and great air con. The executive suite was fantastically well stocked with food and drinks in an unlimited supply, the room is small though and got very crowded, however the amazing staff opened another suite and invited us in there. excellent service.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Our room was very tired indeed and could definitely do with being renovated. Levels of cleanliness were adequate, but it was better not to look too closely. Facilities were very basic. The TV aerial was disconnected when we arrived and even when we connected it the picture was poor. The single beds in our twin room were narrow and uncomfortable.

Excellent location for the NEC.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The directions from the NEC airport/ station complex are poor even the has a "Blue Line" has faded and needs repainting and requires this to become part of directions.

The hotel is part of the NEC complex and copes well with the large scale of its operation, the hotel offers a varied menu. The public areas are both functional and comfortable,

• Executive Queen Room with Lounge Access

Paid nearly £500 for 2 nights in an executive room and shower was blocked sink cracked and light hanging out from above shower - really poor value for money

Location and facilities

• Deluxe Twin Room

Staff were very helpful. Hotel is a little dated, could do with a touch up here and there, but excellent location next to the NEC. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Unfortunately our room was in need of some attention: fan/air con so noisy we couldn't use it but as facing lake kept windows open, Bathroom extractor not working. Shower temperature was way too hot and could not be adjusted despite housekeeping trying several times - so was not usable. Concierge and housekeeping were very responsive and did try to resolve issue.

It is great location as we were 3 days at the NEC. Very friendly and hopeful staff. Generous sized room - just in need of a basic refresh.

• Executive Queen Room with Lounge Access

Location. The hotel rooms are looking tired and the hallway carpets are threadbare but the lobby and public areas are fine

The staff were amazing. Nothing was too much trouble

• Deluxe Queen Room

The lobby area is quite cramped for something like the Hilton. There are no decent staircases to get up and down floors. I was not happy that the air conditioning was not really working properly - it was cooler to leave our window open.

It happens to be the place to be if you want to become involved with UK Games Expo! The domestic staff were very forgiving when I spilled fried chicken in the lobby and were very good to clean up the mess with no fuss. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Car park charge £12 day , cost of room just extravagant for what it is , all about supply and demand , rooms starting to look tired , when first build I sure it was first class !

It was close to NEC , extremely good Breakfast , staff were brilliant , shame about room .....

• Queen Room with Mobility Access

Room was comfortable Needed a fridge AirCon did not seem to work Wifi in the room 2053 was poor Guests should be able to book car parking The cost was far to high for guests it should be free or a lot less The "bar" food was good We had fish and chips

• Deluxe Twin Room

The evening buffet restaurant was closed.

Excellent breakfast with a choice for everyone Great location Friendly and helpful staff Nice surroundings

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The lighting was far too dim for me. I like a good bright but recently my sight has deteriorated and I now need a good light anyway. The headboard, or rather the surround around the bed did not allow me to sit up in bed and read! This was particularly dismal. I would have used the settee which was made up into a double bed, but I think the lack of a reading light was what stopped me from doing so. The restaurant was exorbitantly expensive for a nondescript Thai curry. Breakfast not included either.

It was close to the Exhibition Hall I was visiting, full stop.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Toilet wasn't working, catch on balcony door hanging off,over £5 for a cup of hot chocolate????? Way too much.

Swimming pool,shuttle service, comfortable bed,safe in room.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Stayed for one night in a ‘deluxe room’. I feel that the Hilton group needs to check on the definition of the word ‘deluxe’. Admittedly the towels were soft and fluffy and the bedding of good quality. In contrast the furniture was shabby with the whole room and bathroom in need of some tlc. We used the pool and were pleased to see dedicated swimming and recreation areas. The jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were too hot for my liking. The changing area was basic with very small shower cubicles and an inadequate number of padlocks available for the lockers. We decided not to use the bar as it was so noisy and crowded after a sedate evening out at a neighbouring restaurant. Likewise, we did not stay for breakfast due to exorbitant cost on top of a £12 parking charge.

• Deluxe Twin Room

I was told that the gym was open 24/7, however once i got ready and went to start at the gym I was told that they’d closed at 10pm

The rooms were very spacious and I’m usually fussy with mattresses, however I slept really comfortably!

• Executive Twin Room with Lounge Access

The continental breakfast didn't cater to our dietary requirements (gluten intolerant) and what was available was overpriced.

The pillows were amazing - most comfy!

• Single Hilton Guestroom

The room was so so hot! Even the cold water taps ran hot! We asked for rooms close and they put us in separate buildings

The hotel is lovely staff were great

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

For a hilton not very good, to be honest iv had better rooms in a premier inn, felt a little bit ripped off to be fair, at £163 a night I expected a lot more the rooms were dated with a very small double bed in, the tv looks like it's from the 90s, for a hilton and the money you pay you expect the latest modern equipment.

We only had breakfast at the hotel and to be fair it was amazing.the location was perfect for the NEC and resorts world

• Deluxe Twin Room

The TV channels in the room were limited and weren't even a decent free-view selection. The quality of the picture on the TV was so poor at times that it wasn't worth putting on at all. There was no hand soap in the bathroom. As a resident we were not given the code for discount on the car park, so had to keep asking for help to pay for parking. Breakfast was quite expensive for a buffet, you could eat a meal in the bar with a pint cheaper than having breakfast.

Breakfast was great with a great selection of foods for all, having table service for drinks and toast etc. would have made it excellent.

• Deluxe Twin Room

All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Nothing was to much effort. Booking in at reception was quick and painless. The lounge had a lovely atmosphere and the food, nibbles and drinks were of good variety.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Extras were expensive. Things like tea and coffee but probably just hotel prices. We didn’t eat here as it was expensive and there were other places to eat within easy walking distance

This was a great position for our visit to Clothes Show Live at the NEC. The room was clean and comfortable

• Deluxe Twin Room

The room was tired and worn Ariel kept falling out the TV Plug in the sink didn’t work Bathroom old fashioned Our room wasn’t ‘luxury’

It’s location is brilliant right next to NEC Room service was good

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Beds were not that comfortable, it's a very busy hotel so lots of noise and door slamming (also airport hotel) late into the night and early hours so not a great sleep. Hotel would benefit by adding soft close to hotel doors to reduce the slam noise. Wifi was £14 a day if you wanted Premium connection, standard connection was useless. This should be free as per pretty much every other hotel chain is. Parking was also £12 per day for residents which again I think should be free if your a paying resident.

Breakfast was very good, staff were friendly and location was great for the NEC

• Deluxe Twin Room

queues to be seated for breakfast and queues to access elements of the breakfast, I did not expect this for a hotel charging £176 a night

good location

• Deluxe Twin Room

The bathroom surfaces could be cleaner.The room was overlooking a flat roof top but that did not bother us as we used the room just for sleeping.

The twin room we were in was very comfortable and quiet. It had everything in it that one could ask for.The staff has been very helpful and kind.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I sprained my ankle on the threshold trying to get into my room with my suitcase. I asked for some ice which Inwas advised would be sent up but it never arrived. So had to soak a hand towel in cold water. The mattresses are hard and uncomfortable. The pillows are feather so woke with pains on the back of my head as once the feathers are compressed you might as well put your head on a brick. I was awake tossing turning all night trying to get comfortable. I felt dreadful and not at all rested. I called the reception on my first morning and was advised they would move me to a room with a more comfortable bed but I would have to pack up all my belongings. Having done this I WN8 to reception to hand in my key card and advised there were no rooms with more comfortable beds and Inwould not be able to swap rooms. Furious at having spent time packing instead of enjoying the morning with my colleagues I went to the conference for the day. On my return I arranged to meet friends in the pool area but when I arrived at my room my suitcase had gone and the reception staff did not know where it had been taken. Eventually I was advised they had moved me into a different room. I was advised to go to the new room as the cards key would be delivered by a member of staff. They handed me the card key and left. It did not work. In fact neither of the 2 keys worked so I had to go down to reception and get them assigned to open the door. All this additional hassle meant that I was missing valuable relaxation time networking. With the exception of the concierge and dinning room staff, the reception staff were appaing, unhelpful and made me feel I was a disruption to their day. The Hilton thinks it can trade purely on its name and not update its facilities is a dangerous idea.

It’s proximity to the NEC is great

• Deluxe Twin Room

Breakfast tried to be great but failed in some areas. The scrambled eggs were bland and watery. And wow the price for a room! 266 for a tiny twin room? What??? Seriously guys???? I guess people like ripping others off. What a brilliant culture they are cultivating.

Perfect location. Huge hotel!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Aircon didnt work. The bed linen seems been used before i came in. No tooth brush and most importantly, the wifi is not free! I ve been travelling across the world and stayed in many 4 to 5 stars hotel. This is the first time and in this hotel that they will charge for a wifi connection.

The breakfast was fantastic!

• Deluxe Twin Room

Lamp didn't work in our room

Shuttle bus service- the gentleman was very helpful and polite. (I apologise that I can't remember his name but we saw him on both the 15th and 16th)

• Deluxe Single Room

Everytime someone put the water tap on in the surrounding rooms, noise in my room was bad. The plugs in the sinks are fixed, hence the echo of running water running through the room pipes was noticed. It got quite irritating, thankfully this stopped after 10.30pm, but started again at 6am.

The room was good, bed clean, & room service prompt.

• Single Hilton Guestroom

The price of a gin & Tonic - £10.50?! So rather than staying and relaxing in the bar and having another, I went to bed!

Didn’t have the breakfast - wasn’t included in price and a little overpriced so had breakfast at the NEC instead.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Facilities and room were not worth the money I paid for it. Over £300 for 2 nights in a bog standard room on par with a communal hostel room. Room was next to hotels air con vents so 24 hours a day it was like there was an idle 18 wheeler sitting outside the window. 2 lights in the room did not work and the cistern on the toilet had a passing valve so there was a constant running of water on top of the parked lorry outside.

Bed was comfy location is great

• Deluxe Queen Room

The beds were not as comfortable and you could feel the springs but other than that all good.

Loved the breakfast and the swimming + gym facility. The location was perfect.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The room was a little disappointing, as there was hardly any space at the end of the bed, and the bathroom was cramped, and the staff had not put towels initially into our bathroom.

Check in was smooth and efficient, we were able to check in early around 12.45pm The staff at Bar/Restaurant on Sat 12th were fantastic, and our waitress was fab! (young Asian lady, cant remember her name) The lady at the bar was super attentive with making and serving our drinks with a smile. This area is VERY well managed, credit to that person! Also our burgers were fantastic, not what we were expecting from a hotel restaurant. Comfortable bed, and good facilities otherwise and Air Con etc Many thanks!

• Deluxe Queen Room

The bar prices are very expensive. We mostly used a restaurant nearby. Vodka and coke £12! Whereas we could buy at least 4 for that price at nearby bar.

The staff were so pleasant and helpful. The room had everything we needed. Cleanliness was excellent. Will definitely return it’s in a very good location where you have the NEC at the back door and a fantastic shopping area.

• Deluxe Single Room

The only thing I didn’t like about the room was that the shower was in powerful enough

I thought the room was luxuries modern and very very comfortable

• Deluxe Twin Room

Hotel very dated and worn. Carpet and decor old and worn. Needs a full refurbishment update. Bed didn’t get made or changed for 3 days of my stay I had to ask for it to be done. Room dusty and carpet not been hoovered, found so much dirt and scrums all around the room.

Bar and main reception was the most beautiful part of the hotel and some lovely girls very polite bar staff.

5 star hotel charging for parking

bed uncomfortable and too small for someone 6 foot 4 banging thumping music in early hours of the morning and I was on 4th floor

• Deluxe Twin Room

There was some outside construction noise and our room was very basic and a bit shabby. No fridge !

Very good buffet breakfast. Lots of choices. We were given a takeaway bag too . Enjoyed the pool area.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The beds were on very free running wheels. This would not have been an issue if they could have been locked. However this could be a safety issue.

Very friendly staff. Fantastic swimming pool! Amazing breakfasts

• Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms didnt meet expectations for the price. Food was overpriced. Room service was too expensive and food wasnt nice. We ordered pizza and tea, pizza was just thick layers of cheese inedible and tea was cold. And charging £5 delivery charge for room service is a disgrace considering its in the same building. (Review is left in my opinion)

Some of the staff were friendly. Was convenient distance to NEC. Bed was very comfortable. Bus to the airport service is handy.

• Executive Queen Room with Lounge Access

The aiconditioning controller was broken, the room was too hot to sleep, tried to cool off in the shower, that didn’t drain so had to abandon before it flooded, the toilet was dirty, and there were long black hairs in the bathroom.

The pool

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was one of the worst I have ever experienced. Definitely not to Hilton standards. To name a few: - moths in the room - musky smell - leather chair peeling off - wooden boards servings dinner grubby

The shuttle bus driver was incredibly friendly and even carried my suitcase into the train station. He deserves some recognition. This was around 2pm on Wednesday 9th.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Breakfast was mayhem. The room isn't big enough for the number of guests and the servers couldn't cope with keep the breakfast buffet stocked. Led to lengthy wait.

Great venue in the perfect location for us attending a concert.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I expected the Queen room to be better than a standard double but it was satisfactory, all the same.

In addition to the health club, we weren't unexpecting the Corona Terrace Bar (where we spend the afternoon working), Micro Brewery and the waffle stand at breakfast - these were great and made the hotel less chain-like. Also, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. When we checked in the guy on reception (sorry, forget his name) couldn't have done any more to help us store our event stand items and find out which room we would be in and if we could set up early. The lunch provided at the St James Place event was also very tasty.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The pillows were uncomfortable, the bathroom was not as clean as it should have been There were hairs in the bath. There was a rip in my duvet cover. The younger concierge was a bit unsure of what he was doing and unhelpful when the soft drinks machine charged me twice, so I did not get a refund.

The fish finger sandwich was lovely and there was always lots of food.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Blood on pillow on arrival, parking costs, cost of food and drink, WiFi didn’t work, hdmi on tv was inaccessible from the menu, tv picture quality, no minibar, half the lights in the room didn’t work, bed bugs

• Deluxe Queen Room

Staff didn’t explain to us that there was a short route via the hotel to the NEC so had an unnecessary long walk We were overcharged for a bottle of wine and no apologie given. Staff on reception just didn’t seem interested in explaining anything especially regarding the payment for the car park - we were given two different versions of what to do.

The location was lovely

The receptionists are so formal and does not seem to smile much. I went with my parents since they are travelling tomorrow from Birmingham airport. They got double bed room and I got single room but in my room, the TV was not working. Also food is not really good. Overall i am okay but value with money i think it should be better than this.

• Executive Twin Room with Lounge Access

No free WiFi in room had to become Hilton honours member to get free WiFi in rooms which is ridiculous. TV package basic channels + sky news and very bad reception. Don’t pay for executive room as it’s not really worth it basically only get robes and slippers access to lounge is for tea and water etc only - not worth what we paid

Clean and great location for NEC staff helpful and friendly

• Deluxe Twin Room

The single bed in room 4083 was the most uncomfortable bed I've tried to sleep in, the mattress leaned to the left so it felt like I was falling out, awful night! Wifi didn't work, rubbish! Bar prices ridiculous - two single Baileys with ice £22.00

• Deluxe Queen Room

On entering our room (with no offer of help with our bags), I thought that we had inadvertently stepped onto the set of Ashes to Ashes, I must say though that the 1980's décor was remarkably clean. We then decided to have a gin and tonic each at the bar which I charged to our room, after sitting down and taking a sip of my gin I was confronted by two members of the bar staff who said that I was not allowed to charge items to my room. The two bar staff then escorted me to the bar to pay my bill without delay. When I was told the price for our drinks it first appeared that my bill had been mistaken for that of an entire coach party, however, it was in fact correct, it appears that the décor was from the 80's but the prices were not. Before leaving the hotel I had to slip out for some minor surgery in order to sell my left kidney so that I could afford to pay the parking charge! If you are a fan of 80's chintz, rude staff and paying £10.20 for a Gordons Gin, I could thoroughly recommend this place as you will not be disappointed.

The room was clean and was convenient for the NEC.

• Executive Twin Room with Lounge Access

On the first night there was hairs in the bath (however when room service cleaned on Saturday, this was dealt with), the main issue with the room was the number of moths (we kept the window closed all weekend) on the Friday night we killed loads but keeping the windows closed ment there was only a few the rest of the weekend flying around. Apart from this and it sounds worse then it was, I think a window was left open on Friday before we arrived. The room and facilities were great. (P.s. TV Reception could do with a boost)

Apart from some minor issues in the room... Everything else was fantastic and above expectations. Staff very friendly and a credit to Hilton.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Not enough milk/coffee mate in the room, there were 2 of us and this was used on arrival and we weren't advised the spa treatment company had gone into liquidation a massage would have been an added bonus to a great weekend

Pool sauna and steam rooms were great, very clean and a section closed for lane swimming was very much appreciated really enjoyed our stay si close to the NEC!

• Deluxe Queen Room

No bottles of water in the room, this is ridiculous everyone now supplies water from a very basic hotel...bed & breakfasts, come on Hilton get with the times...

Location and staff both excellent

• Deluxe Twin Room

Decoration. Cleanliness (or lack of). Facilities ie. no fridge, no coffee on one day. Air-con didn't work. View(for a deluxe room).Bathroom was tiny(again for a deluxe). There was no i-pod point or radio as advertised. NO WIFI !!!! Satellite TV was rubbish.

Staff were nice.

• Deluxe Twin Room

How flimsy the pillows were, had to use 3 or 4 of them to be comfortable to sleep.

The friendliness of the staff from the moment I checked in, going for breakfast each morning & the variety of foods/drinks available, the concierge desk being so helpful for any query, and the complimentary shuttle service from hotel to Birmingham International Station helped save on taxi fare.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The Digital Keycards. Ok, this will be a rare negative that most wont experience or care to consider an issue so I will try to keep this short: I forgot my pass for the NEC and found that my keycard no longer worked. While the woman on staff was AMAZINGLY helpful, (as I started to panic&stress about being late) she created new keycards (twice) and then accompanied me back to my room with her master keycard to help resolve the situation. It turned out the battery on my door handle needed replacing so I was allowed access to the executive lounge while I waited for the maintenance team to come. Which again - staff were amazing it only took another 10mins to fix. However, I was left thinking all this could have been resolved quicker (well selfishly quicker for me so i could have left them to fix it without the time crunch) if there was an old school metal key & lock that could be turned to open.

Customer Service from ALL staff in the varying roles were amazing, lovely, friendly and went above and beyond to take care of me and ensure when stay was a good one. The location and access to the NEC was perfect and the surrounding area was idyllic.

• Deluxe Single Room

Have to pay for WiFi only free in the lobby or if you join Hilton Honours. Just basic TV channels with terrible reception - not what told when booking

Staff friendly and helpful, very clean and great location for NEC

• Deluxe Twin Room

Everything was excellent. Was made to feel very welcome. I’m disabled and they ensured I got an accessible room. The power shower was just awesome. Everything was first class

• Deluxe Twin Room

Hotel is close to the NEC so perfect location for the Supernatural convention. Staff were helpful and extremely pleasant. Room was clean and bed very comfortable. Would definitely stay again.

• Deluxe Twin Room

One restaurant was closed. We had a very poor meal first night in the a la carte restaurant, an overpriced pie with tough meat and greasy pastry. The chairs are too low to the tables and it is awkward to eat. The waitress offered no redress and simply said she would tell the chef. The food we had in the bar on other nights was far better.

The bar staff and servers in the bar are excellent. Housekeeping is of an excellent standard throughout the hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room

There was no outside space by the bar to sit and have a drink.

Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and spacious, with lovely toiletries. The hotel is just a few minutes walk from the train station and the NEC.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The TV’s are terrible, 5channels, really!!! and really bad interference, also the general WiFi is very poor, unless you have Hilton Honors , also you got rid of the little shop!!!!

The room was good, the breakfast was a mix of everything, something for everyone

• Deluxe Twin Room

Parking charges were ridiculous even after the 'residents discount', £22 for a little under 24 hours. Two drinks at the bar (pint of cider and a double rum) cost over £18! Overall a very expensive stay. Also, to get free WIFI you had to join the Hilton club. Luckily the NEC offers free WIFI without having to jump through hoops and sign up for marketing ploys.

Hotel was very comfortable and clean, and the perfect location for the NEC.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Cannot think of anything apart from my name not being correctly submitted(my surname was omitted for some reason😊 which caused some confusion!

All facilities were brilliant staff helpful and pleasant easy to navigate courtesy bus exellent

• Deluxe Twin Room

Convenient for the NEC and eating places across the lake. Welcoming, friendly staff throughout the hotel which is nicely decorated and comfortable. There is a free curtesy bus to and from the railway station.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Very expensive for what it was, rooms were very dated and lacked facilities. Air-conditioning was useless, and the price of drinks and food is extortionate.

Had a half decent pool

• Deluxe Twin Room

Too few staff at the bar/lounge which made service slow regardless of the efforts of those on duty.

Not a bad place to spend 5 nights while exhibiting at the NEC.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The internet and television.

The staff were absolutely brilliant and very helpful and polite. Made us feel very comfortable. The beds were super comfy best sleep I've had in a long time.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The beds was really flimsy and weak and cheaply made would be better if the beds were better

The location and staff was so friendly and the breakfast was the best breakfast I’ve ever had

• Deluxe Queen Room

Disgustingly overpriced (£12 a night to park, £18.95 for breakfast and £14.99 WiFi on top of your hotel room) for a room no nicer than a basic travelodge with dirty marks all over the bathroom floor and no glasses to drink out of.

Good location.

• Deluxe Twin Room

as the room was only used for a few hours as out all day and to late evening it could have been better value-i.e discount could be given based on how little cleaning was required.

Location perfect for purpose of visit

• Executive Queen Room with Lounge Access

Bed could have been more comfortable but in general, everything was brilliant

Location was ideal, highly recommend executive lounge access with breakfast included

• Deluxe Twin Room

Furniture televisions telephones etc all stuck in the 90s. Beat up furniture and television that still have static on the channels. Definitely not worthy of the name Hilton.

Browse Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel traveller photo gallery