Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton London – Docklands Riverside 4 stars

265 Rotherhithe Street, Southwark, London, SE16 5HW, United Kingdom

#457 of 977 hotels in London

• Queen Guest Room

Everything from our Check in right throughout our stay everything was perfect. This is our third time at this hotel and it is consistant all the time.

• Twin Guest Room

The check in time was from 15.00, we arrived at about 17.05 and were informed that our room wouldn't be ready for at least another 10 minutes. She wanted to take my payment and I reused until I knew that our room would be ready, we had a taxi booked for 18.00 and needed to freshen up. She then went on to find us a room. So am thinking if it wasn't ready 2 hours after check in time what would of happened if we HAD arrived at 15.00?

Cleanliness, river boat.

• Queen Guest Room

Location could have been better, 20 minute walk to Canada Water station. A ferry across to Canary Wharf from the hotel made this a bit easier

Upgrade to executive lounge Bed comfort Good shower Helpful staff

• Twin Guest Room

The breakfast was really lovely, buffet style with lots of choice. My friend and I had a comfortable stay and liked the novelty of the free ferry service across the river to connect to other transport options. We would definitely come back again

• King Guest Room

Didn't like to find hair's in our breakfast, how frequently morning paper was missing at room door

Check-in & check-out went well, front desk staff were great, nice ferry service to take us across the river to the main ferry, bed was comfortable, nice to be able to see Thames River from our room. Melvin working beside front desk personnel was delivered us pastries

• Queen Guest Room

Unfortunately our stay at the hotel wasn’t the best. For the price we paid, I expected to everything to work, however, the toilet didn’t flush properly, the iron broke, the bed was extremely creaky, the fire alarm went off twice on separate occasions on our last day and the taxi ferry broke down, when trying to contact the hotel regarding the taxi ferry to see if it was back working, it was a mission impossible, every number online and on the booking.com app put us through to a Hilton Customer service line or a different Hilton hotel in London.

• Queen Guest Room

The fact we could not order what we wanted from the restaurant was disappointing. And also the fact if we opened our curtains people saw straight into our room.

The view was good and facilities were good also the breakfast was very nice.

• Queen Guest Room

Terrible view from bedroom window (bins) skweeky bed . Standard of sandwiches was not up to scratch , hotel location was bit out the way .

Area we sat for our afternoon tea was nice by the water

• Queen Guest Room

Very much a personal preference but the pillows were too soft for us. Even combining them both into one pillow case didn’t quite cut it. That said, the staff were so brilliant I’m sure they would have provided something if we’d asked (but we chose not to). Breakfast would have been nice, but £15 each is very expensive, even for London (including if you booked at check-in). We were able to get a Full English across the river for £5. I’d love to have breakfast there if it was more reasonably priced. These are minor issues, though - we’ll definitely come back.

Staff were amazing, the welcome on arrival was really friendly and warm. The room was lovely, clean and a good size. Location was superb, right on the bank of the Thames, and with a free ferry across it for hotel guests, you didn’t need to travel far. Being able to pop across the river for breakfast without having to pay the ferry was a real benefit and would definitely bring us back. Facilities of the room were great; massive TV, kettle, ice bucket etc - even an ironing board and iron. It was also fully air conditioned.

• Queen Guest Room

great hotel, facing the river. relaxing environment, 10 minutes by bus to central London cristina grandi made our check-in process super fast and friendly

• Twin Guest Room

Service was slow to the rooms. The room was cold and the first night there were plumbing issues. But the engineer came and fixed bathroom. Basic room, no robes, mini bar or those little extras.

The staff were really friendly and helpful.I requested a fridge for the room they got it for me! I was allergic to the soap and they found me some more. I would stay here again.

• Queen Guest Room

We were looking for a peaceful, beautiful and comfy place to relax. That's exactly what we got! Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel and the facilities was top, really enjoyed our stay.

• Executive Queen Room

On our 2nd night the housekeeper didn't top up the toilet rolls or leave breakfast room service card. We asked at reception but it never came. We paid extra for the excutive room which was compact but ok. We had access to the lounge but snacks seemed to only be available in the evenings and customers had to keep asking for more drinks to be topped up. Access to the lounge was one way so making return trips was a pain!

Staff were very welcoming and polite. Hotel clean and comfortable,

• Queen Guest Room

The gym facilities were not used as there wasn’t much equipment. When we originally complained about the room we were given we were told to change to an executive site we would have to pay extra as that was the only room they had available. I refused as the confusion was down to them & then we were given a new room. Personally I think the price paid for a one night queen guest room stay was a lot more than I would of paid for the facilities/room we had.

The staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy, as when we arrived we were given a room that looked nothing like expected & we were not happy! The staff at reception made sure that we were given a new room that we were satisfied with, which was far better. Bar & restaurant staff were lovely & welcoming! Loved that with the hotel you get free ferry access to & from Canary Wharf so it’s really convenient.

• Junior Suite with River View and Balcony

Great location. We had a room overlooking the Thames, which was lovely. The regular ferry to Canary Wharf was great as we used the water buses. Lots of restaurants close by. Great breakfast. Nice room. Friendly staff.

• Queen Guest Room

No one answers calls, no room services, no complimentary room water. the front office or reception.operator phone never get answered

The receptionist was welcoming and the breakfast was great

• Queen Guest Room

There is nothing I disliked about this hotel

The hotel was great value for money and the staff were all friendly, the receptionists, the restaurant staff and the boat staff too. Cookie on arrival and complimentary use of the ferry. Room was clean and comfy

• Queen Guest Room

The bed was too hard. So the night seemed long and I had my back hurting for 2 days after my night at the hotel. My sister had the same pain. At the check-in everyone else before us received cookies and we did not get any. I think that's bad since it is advertised that the hotel offers cookies to guests. The staff at the dining room was not helpful at all. I asked for a small spoon which I only got when I was just finish my breakfast. We booked for a big room but instead we got a tiny room in which we could barely move.

The breakfast was just perfect. The staff at the reception was helpful. Good location too.

• Queen Guest Room

The only fault from or stay was that the room was very very very hot to sleep in at night. We adjusted the heating but still too warm.

The hotel was fantastic and in a lovely area. There was also the complimentary boat over to Canary Wharf which helped us commute around even better. Also the staff were super friendly and helpful!

• Queen Guest Room

Our room was a little small, but did pay for a room with a queen bed, which we believe is smallest room.

Lovely hotel, very central for London, a free ferry from hotel to main ferry terminal, staff very friendly, and helpful.

• Queen Guest Room

Restaurant being closed without warning.

Lovely hotel in a great location, room was excellent however the stay was let down by the restaurant being closed for a private function without any warning to the other guests which was a shame as my partner and I were looking forward to eating there and ended up having to eat at the bar as was too late to make other arrangements. When confronting a staff member all he could say was "sorry, it's not my fault".

• Executive Queen Room

Paid £189 for a queen suit and it was quite small. No robes or slippers like advertised, couldn’t get into the room till 5 even tho check in was 3!! However staff were lovely and gave us a free drink.

Lovely location, lovely welcome cookie very helpful friendly staff.

• Twin Guest Room

It was in an awkward location that requires a ferry to cross over to get to a metro station to and from the hotel. Now it was fun at fist but became a chore over the couple of days that we were there. I fairness the ferry was regular and free of charge but it was a hassle to do for a couple of days non stop.

It was in a nice area. We didn't have anything to do in there as it was a banking district but quite a pleasent and quiet surrounding. Far away from all the tourist attractions that we came to London to do though.

• Queen Guest Room

Suboptimal cleaning (Long black hairstraws underneath sink. Not from me - a grey and short haired bald guy). Empty tissue box. Torn room. Taken together - overall - a potential for improvements.

Location in a quiet neighbourhood (Residential area). Easy access to bus and frequent ferry crossing the Thames (courtesy of hotel). Very nice staff.

• Queen Guest Room

We had a lovely large room over looking the river in the old wharf building. The rest of the hotel was modern and well laid out, making use of the space but keeping the dockland feel. the staff were friendly and helpful. The free ferry across the river was a bonus.

• Queen Guest Room

Toaster at breakfast didnt work... Would have liked a freshly fried egg!

A very nice hotel. Helpful staff. good location with frequent ferry. Clean rooms.

Not Applicable

Great value, good choice of breakfasts, the free ferry to Canary Wharf is a special feature, great location for the O2 arena. Will be the first place I look to book when staying over in London again.

• Queen Guest Room

There was nothing we didn't like about the hotel and location

I loved how close the hotel was to Canary Wharf and the boat that takes you across the river! great location to Greenwich and the shard

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

We stayed here for a wedding and despite contacting the team in advance, we were put in a tiny room for the type we'd booked. However, the reception staff and duty manager Anatasious (I'm sure I've spelled that wrong) were amazing and quickly remedied the situation. But all other staff we encountered as part of the wedding were not helpful and tainted the experience. Other than that, the bedding was frayed, the windows and trimmings around the room show signs of wear and tear and could do with a good scrub. But I suppose most people wouldn't notice? It's a little out of the way but there is a bus stop right outside. Just one bus stops there but it is quite regular.

The duty manager on our first night really went above and beyond, including helping us carry wedding favours to our room and sorting out issues quickly. The location is nice for views of the Thames/Canary Wharf and the complimentary ferry service is a bonus. The new look of the hotel is nice and modern and the welcome cookie is always nice.

• Queen Guest Room

We didn’t get a cookie on check in, reception always seemed busy, car Park is small and spacea are tight. We asked for water with our meal and that didn’t arrive.

We upgraded and the room was huge, bathroom was small but perfectly formed. Room equipped with iron, ironing board, hairdryer, large TV and very comfy chairs

• King Guest Room

Upon check-in, there was a huge (and hostile) tour group, and only one desk attendant. This was managed for me, but resulted in an unfortunate confrontation with the group's tour coordinator, who felt he should video my check-in. Without consent. This was ultimately dealt with. Second, the fire alarm went off fairly often on the Tuesday I checked out. I got a late check-out, so this was also ultimately moot. Irrespective of these setbacks, the hotel is indeed lovely, on the bank of the Thames in a converted warehouse (?), with great ambiance and views.

Wonderful experience, barring a few setbacks. Service was exemplary. Every effort was made to make my stay pleasant. Be advised that the hotel is quite remote. If you don't taxi, Canada Water station is the nearest tube, and you'll need to take a bus ~7 stops. Not much in the way of dining nearby outside of the hotel - but you can get to relatively nearby Southwark from Canada Water. There's also the Surrey Docks Farm just 7 minutes walk away as a family activity. I'm crazy fond of animals and nature, so it suited me as a diversion between business meetings. All in all, I loved it, but I like my hotels quiet and remote. Someone looking for a place with action nearby might choose another.

• Queen Guest Room

Breakfast wonderous View majestic & picture postcard at night Ferry across Thames is fun Room ace Staff excellent Building exquisite (blend of modern and vintage) Car park underground and good value Location is perfect for tube

• Executive Queen Room

Got there and was allowed early check in which ended up to be the wrong room, they agreed to change it till come back in an hour.. Came in an hour and went to the room and it wasn't cleaned from the last person, went back to check in and they told us to come back in half an hour and it would be ready.. An hour later and we finally got into our room

• Double Guest Room

Everything. Air con didn’t work in my room. Had to ask for a fan twice. Tiny room. Confusing directions to get to the hotel. Staff seemed confused about ferry times. Wedding on the Saturday night seemed to overwhelm the bar staff so service for residents was slow.

• Queen Guest Room

The bed vas very uncomfortable and narrow. Me and my husband are rather slim so it was not a big problem for us but I cannot imagine how a little overweight couple could fit in this bed. There was no view from our room although we booked the room with a city view. Nothing at all! All we could see was neighbours roof window. Furthermore the room was not cleaned during the first day of stay so we had to put an note on the door handle to remind the cleaners. The room needs refurbishment. There is a very old air conditioner in the room. A foul smelling discharge from this machine. So it is better not to use it.

Very good breakfast, really!!!

• Twin Guest Room

Hotel itself was great, the only (slight) downside was the location - it's a slight faff having to get the ferry across the river, although it does run regularly back and forth from the hotel so not really a massive issue!

Comfy, decent sized rooms. Nice bar and outdoors area. Lots of choice at breakfast, including soy and almond milk.

No negative comments

Lovely Breakfast, clean room and superb views of an evening with a short free boat trip (residents only) across to the business district with delicious restaurants. I recommend the Chinese! The C10 bus takes you straight into the City which you can catch directly outside. Make sure you get a £5 Oyster Card with £5 on it then give your card back after your stay at any train/tube station and get your £5 back.

• King Guest Room

Distance from Canary Wharf tube station and tube stations in general. Variety in hotel bar not great for the area and quite pricey No obvious close shops/eateries for out of hours

Made a special effort (bed was decorated with flowers, confetti and balloons and had a very good view) as was celebrating my 30th. No extra cost. Free boat trip across from Canary Wharf pier. Baggage storage so handy! Pretty easy to get to London Stadium at Stratford on tube!

• Junior Suite with River View and Balcony

Only one coffee sachet per person a day. Could have been given at least Two.

Staff very friendly. Nice views. Lovely and clean. Great having frequent free boat transfers to Canary Wharf. Use of executive lounge a bonus. Would recommend the hotel to others.

• King Guest Room

No warning about fire alarm test. Not enough tea bags, milk or sugar in room and no complimentary biscuits. Issues with coin to leave basement car park but nowhere to put the coin, so we tried using the same code we were using, on the key pad. We were therefore, unnecessarily issued a coin to exit the car park. Caused confusion.

Pillows and bed really comfortable. Crabtree & Evelyn bathroom products. Huge TV. Free ferry crossing to Canary Wharf.

• Queen Guest Room

Bedroom was described as queen which gave impression it would have queen bed. Small double with no view at all. Just a frosted door to that couldn’t be opened.

Good location for dock lands with frequent boat. On bus route.

• Queen Guest Room

Never had any teaspoons for breakfast! But that's it, everything else was amazing.

Everything. Lovely staff, amazing facilities and the view was great.

• Executive King Room

Some parts of the hotel were outdated like the carpets and the lift especially was slow and cranky, was worried we would get stuck in there a couple of times. Also would've like the canapés in the Executive Lounge to be different instead of just leftovers from breakfast and a few dips.

Amazing breakfast, lovely staff. Stayed in an Executive room, so the size was bigger than I expected. Absolutely loved it. And I love that the ferry to Canary Wharf was literally on the doorstep. And the bus stop was just outside!

• Queen Guest Room

Shabby looking room, got the worst view ever - overlooking a scruffy car park, there was also a surveillance camera on a balcony peeking inside our room! Took very long to check in. There was a problem with Booking.com on the day and they had not transferred our booking to the hotel. Receptionist who was checking us in was very unhelpful and suggested that it was our fault for not booking directly through the hotel..Thankfully reception manager proved to be much more clued up and sorted us out within 5 minutes offering a free breakfast as an apology.

Good breakfast and comfortable bed!

• Queen Guest Room

I didn’t think the queen room was worth anymore money. It was my 30th birthday weekend away with my fiancé and we put a special request on the booking form and it wasn’t carried out. There wasn’t a hot chocolate chip cookie on arrival as they stated we had ours two days later .. the hotel was very expensive for drinks and we only had a little bit of toilet roll in the room when we got there and had to get more .. the soap dish fell off on my toe in the shower which happened twice was annoyed at that. I would rate the hotel a 3 star.

I liked the ferry over to Canary Wharf that was lovely .. the room was a queen room and was ok ... didn’t seem like a queen room though .. wouldn’t pay extra for it .. the bar was expensive and the staff at the bar were not happy to help, no service with a smile and on the Saturday evening there was only one man serving and there was a wedding on.. I wouldn’t stay here again I would pick a more central hotel .

• Queen Guest Room

Reliant on a ferry to get to the hotel. Don’t upset the very uppity Ashton ferry gate custodian else he won’t let you on ‘his’ precious ferry.

Nice bar area overlooking the Thames. Nice toiletries.

• Executive King Room

Wrong room number listed on phone so room service took almost 2 hours. Parking is a problem too.

You didn't get my reservation from Booking.com so my room was not available and I was downgraded and it took 30 minute + to check in.

• Queen Guest Room

rust stains around bath tap furniture

Loved the location/getting the ferry back & forth. Also, being so close to Canary Wharf ferry meant we traveled on the river rather than the tube Lovely & quiet. Comfortable bed & friendly, helpful staff

• Queen Guest Room

Room was a bit aged, a little tatty but very clean. It could have benifted from air conditioning as it was very hot and the fan built into the room was a quite noisy and not really effective aside from wasting electricity. Sockets or USB outputs / wireless charging near the bed would have been good.

Staff attentive, lobby and bar area very clean, rooms were a fair size and well equipped, and transport links good once you realise how good the bus service to Canada Water underground station is. Ferry across from Canary Wharf also a very good service, although finding the pier on the Canary Wharf side from the tube station was very tricky as a first time visitor.

• Queen Guest Room

No city view as stated on website Leather chair in room was peeling Hotel staff tried to con me into paying for upgrade as my queen size room was very small for 2 people when it was plenty big enough Car park is awful

• Queen Guest Room

When booking it was advertise that the room would have a city view, but there was no view, you couldn't even see out as the glass was frosted, which made the room dark. It was all very basic, beige and dull. No little extras in your room that you sometimes get at a 4 star. I don't want to leave a totally negative review though as it's not a bad hotel, I was just expecting more. Plus the staff were lovely and the free cookie on arrival was a nice treat.

• Double Guest Room

keycard did not work first time ( and I think that was also true of my neighbour). Call for room service (x3) was left unanswered had to go to reception which was quite a walk.

clean, well decorated, free ferry.

• Queen Guest Room

Room was very small, and cramped. Bathroom sink tiny, and impractical. Emailed the property to ask for slightly early check in, no response, and no early check in on arrival.

Good breakfast, with a wide selection. Good ferry service to Canary Wharf except between 8 and 9 p.m. break. Nice riverside terrace to relax, with good views across the Thames. Convenient to London city airport.

• Queen Guest Room

‘Balcony’ was a little misleading - just a space outside the door. ‘Roof top’ bar was more riverside than rooftop, but very nice. Expected higher standard of cleanliness in bathroom and carpet in room was marked. Room service pots left in corridor for over 24 hours.

Bed was extremely comfortable, breakfast excellent with a wide choice, staff friendly and helpful. River ferry/taxis were reliable and frequent.

• Executive Queen Room

Room service took over half an hour to answer and that was after going to reception twice. Then took and hour and only got half the order, was told he would come back with the rest and never returned!!

• Queen Guest Room

I think the staff on the terrace during the day could be a little more efficient food that was ordered took ages to arrive and when it did arrive some of it was cold and not quite what was ordered. Missing an opportunity here given the location and the view that you are able to see.

Breakfast buffet staff were extremely helpful; having the ferry facility was wonderful - felt like we were at the seaside!

• Queen Guest Room

The room was dark and dingy, there was very little phone signal in the room. The bathroom was quite small. The noise outside from the planes , work man and staff in the kitchen area meant I had a poor sleep.

I didn’t like a lot to be honest

• Queen Guest Room

Food service for the afternoon tea was not so great but the staff were happy to reimburse us and give us a free breakfast which was great!

The ferry service

• Executive King Room

We ordered room service, it consisted of two gin and tonics and a slice of cheesecake.. it didn’t arrive for well over an hour. The lifts to our room were broken three times, in our short two night stay.

The breakfast was amazing and the bed was very confortable.

• Queen Guest Room

On the bar menu we ordered some chicken wings. The only issue I had is that they were very very spicy! I feel they need to be renamed too spicy chicken wings - but they were delicious.

The box off co co pops were excellent.

• King Guest Room

There was no cookies given to me while normally they will give to every check in guests. Room service knocked the door but didn’t wait me to answer him and he just use the room key open the door while I was taken nap with my girlfriend in early afternoon. And the room service take my own towel away. Nobody will sort those problem for you for real as they have good business and they don’t care if you had been served well or not. I’ve been this hotel for lots of times. But I’ll find somewhere else for my next London trip.

• Queen Guest Room

customer service at restaurant when we arrived was very poor, there was a lady at the desk who didn't even look up at us or acknowledge we were there!! Another woman came from out of the restaurant to tell us "somebody would be with us shortly".

the ferry ride !

• King Guest Room

Food all over the floor in kitchen, kitchen staff shouted services every 2 minutes waiting over an hour after ordering food food was cold and burnt! Room was dirty hair all in the bath burnt plug socket on the left side of the bed which is dangerous bath Matt was broken and ripped! Bathroom door lock was broken door didn’t stay closed and the kettle was broken once booked even the Handel was hot to touch! I also have photos of all the above.

• Queen Guest Room

No dressing gowns or slippers in the bedrooms, have to have a credit card to use room service.

We got upgraded to an executive suite which was a surprise and the bed was so big and comfy! Also breakfast was reduced to £10 instead of £25 which was a bonus.

• Queen Guest Room

The sofa in the hall was very dirty..the sink in the toilet was not working and the water was getting logged...the room was very dusty...compared to the Hilton standards it was very bad.

Location was good.

• Queen Guest Room

Room not ready for check-in. The room was cold with poor noisy heating, with a view over the bins. Missing towels. We were overcharged for the stay then refunded when we noticed the problem.

The staff was kind and helpful and gave us a free breakfast to apologize for the inconvenience.

• Twin Guest Room

Despite turning all the settings on the fan system to off, the unit continued to emit a loud noise all night, which made it difficult to sleep well. The food/drink was overpriced.

The room was a good size and the beds were extremely comfy.

• Queen Guest Room

The lighting in the room was dark and window was small.

Very nice location, and the pier access to Canary Wharf is a unique touch. High standard and good value for money considering the relative price of hotels in Central London.

• Twin Guest Room

The lady on the front desk was miserable she firstly refused my late stay that I had booked with you and only when I made her read the message from yourselves about 3 times did she agree to give it to us with no charge. We checked out and left our luggage but on return they couldn’t find our baggage I told her we were in a rush to get the boat back over the river and to get to Euston and the same non friendly woman just took her time waited for someone else to see where it was and laughed with him and then got a third person to take me to another room a walk away found the bags and had to run back to the boat, we missed our train by 10 mins thanks to them and I had to buy 2 new tickets costing £170 to say I am furious is an understatement it was money I couldn’t really afford to use without impacting the rest of the month before pay day

My daughter cut her arm on the bathroom door handle as it was extremely sharp that happened because there is like a little raised step/door frame in and out the bathroom that is not signed so you don’t expect it

• Queen Guest Room

We had to ask what time breakfast was so information in check in was limited, I expected it to be nicer for a Hilton it was very dated no dressing gowns in the room just very basic and breakfast was awful

The bar area was nice but had mentioned a roof top bar had no idea where this was

That I couldn’t stay for longer due to work :(

Loved the place especially the service I don’t usually leave comments but omg it was sooooo good all the staff are amazing amazing AMAZING!!!!!

• Queen Guest Room

The service was very bad and staff were not very helpful especially at breakfast, and drink prices were very high - agreed we expected to pay a higher price for drinks but nearly £10 for a single disaronno and coke is extaustionate.

The free ferry service is a nice touch considering where you are, saves time getting the tube from Canary Wharf rather than Canada Water which was about a 20min walk away.

Nothing!!

The location was great. Loved Canary Wharf. Hotel staff fantastic, so friendly and helpful. Loved the building and being on the river. So quiet and yet in London

It was all fab

Got our room upgraded on arrival to a balcony room. Staff lovely and friendly, just wish we would of experienced the breakfast!! Hotel was amazing, will definitely be back to visit again. So quiet round there.

• Double Guest Room

In the hallways of the hotel you feel like you‘re in a ship. Narrow. Low ceilings. Speaking elevator. Ugly carpets.

Nice bed. Being close to the river. Persons at the reception very attentive.