Reviews of Hilton Newcastle Gateshead 4 stars

Bottle Bank, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE8 2AR, United Kingdom

#25 of 76 hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne

• Double Hilton Room

The bedroom wasn’t very clean, cobwebs handing from the ceiling and dirty stains on the carpets.

The location of the hotel is great and staff were helpful.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Parking costs could add up if staying for more than one or two nights.

Love this hotel. Perfect central location for exploring the city. Fabulous views of the bridge and castle. Good secure parking easily accessible from the hotel (though at an additional cost). Bar and breakfast areas are big and airy. Lovely food and great service in the restaurant. Spotless, spacious family room - perfect for travelling with a baby.

The bed was very hard.

The hotel staff were very welcoming. The room was clean and well equipped. The breakfast was lovely and plenty of variety. The hotel was within walking distance to all the shops & bars.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

Your bar closes too early. We were there to network and socialise, a much later bar would have been far more beneficial

The facilities were lovely, very comfortable. I was given a river view room and it was spectacular. We used the conference facilities and the staff couldn't be more accommodating or helpful. The food was very good too

• Deluxe Double Room with River Tyne View

The bed was awful, felt like it was 20 years old really springy and uncomfortable. The room overall was a bit sub par for a Hilton, not what i would really expect for the price.

Staff are really nice, the restaurant is also really nice. If you get a premium room the view of the river is amazing.

• Double Hilton Room

£179 for a one night stay and still had to pay £12 to park my car.... pretty dissapotined tbh

we had a great stay, wouldn't expect anything less from a hilton. Great breakfast for £10 and the location is only a couple of minuites walk into newcatle centre or a taxi which cost approx £5. The room was clean tidy and bed was massive!

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Chose this hotel as it was 10 min walk away from Train Station and only 20-25 min walk from St James Park. Was a lovely hotel staff very friendly, our family room was a fab size great for two adults and two teenagers. Breakfast buffet was lovely lots to choose from. Had a very enjoyable stay. Would stay here again.

• Double Hilton Room

The only thing I would say, is that drinks at the bar are very expensive, but this is expected at hotels like this.

The hotel was lovely and very clean. Staff couldn't do enough for you and were always happy to answer any questions and help you out if needed. Had a lovely view from hotel room and room itself was very clean and cosey. Would definetly stay again!

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Big room but only a small put up bed for 2 children. Not enough plugs only ones where hidden behind tv. No dressing table was taken up by tv. Not really set up for a family room.

Great location, spotlessly clean, all staff friendly, rooms where quiet, good breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room with River Tyne View

Location was excellent really was only 10 mon walk for centre and apl the bars. Staff to helpful and friendly. Amazing views over the city worth paying a little extra for the room . 441.

• Double Hilton Room

£12 car parking. Pillows too soft. Need firm ones.

River view room amazing. Probably the best thing about the stay. Breakfast was really lovely, great selection. Location fab. Staff very helpful. Cleanliness brill. Facilities good. Even got a text message asking how our stay was going and when I said i had asked for extra pillows and they hadn’t arrived, when I got back to room pillows were waiting for us.

• Double Hilton Room

Deposit per night held on card which must be a new procedure as stayed here lots of times before and never been done in the past.

Comfy room. Room request was met. Good location and easy to get into the city centre. Plenty restaurants nearby.

• Deluxe Double Room with River Tyne View

Thought it was a bit expensive at £235 for one night, as I am attending an awards night next week for only £105 per night?, appreciate it's a group booking but thought it was a expensive but as it was Ed Sheeran weekend, this may be why

Location, excellent for city centre.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

The price. I know people say you get what you pay for, but there was little in my room to distinguish it from a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn. There were amenities in the hotel which may be used to justify the price, but they didn't look that good when I had a peek. I was a bit concerned on the way to the hotel about its location, it didn't look as though walking back after an evening out would be very safe.

It's a typical Hilton; clean, tidy, good location. The staff were really friendly and helpful, but all the Geordies we talked to were friendly, so I'd say this is more the city than the hotel's training. I'm still on the fence about the non-alcoholic spirits the barman was extolling, to me flavoured water with fruit and herbal extracts is either squash or tea.

• Double Hilton Room

Thermostat in the room restricted to a bottom temp of 19c which is too warm for me at night. Car parking was too expensive.

Lovely location with in a few minutes walk of Newcastle and views of the river and the bridge. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

For the price, there wasn’t anything extra to justify it in my opinion.

Lovely reception area Staff were very friendly Room was bigger than expected and had lots of facilities

• Double Hilton Room

The room was tired and in need of updating. Only 2 small pods of milk and only 3 decaf coffees, no regular coffee. The bathroom had seen better days, cracked tiles, loose tiles and cracked work top. Very disappointed

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

Can't fault it. Well, there is the fog.....:-)

This is a great hotel, overlooking the Tyne (and yes, it has been foggy every morning I've stayed here), so very handy for central Newcastle, and Gateshead (particularly Sage). Modern, with great facilities and restaurant. Can't fault it at all. I've stayed a couple of times now, and will do again. Plus, both times I've had rooms at great prices.

• Executive Double Room with Balcony, River View and Lounge Access

The bed wasn't very comfortable which kept us awake. Thought the breakfast was over priced for what it was. Balcony floor needs a good jet wash as very slippy from green algae.

Good location and had great views from balcony. Staff were very friendly and the place was kept clean. If they change the mattresses/bed for something more comfortable, we would stay again.

• Double Hilton Room

The pool was closed on early during weekends.... I wish it was open late like weekdays so we could enjoy it on a hungover day.

The wonderful location of the hotel right next to the river, allows a great view to enjoy with drinks at the lobby. It is super easy to walk to the historic or party centers of the town with ease. (Never needing a cab after a night out). The staff was extremely helpful and super friendly. It does not have the "cold or formal" atmosphere of most Hiltons. This one definitely stands out as classy and fun!

• Double Hilton Room

Being charged £12 to park in the car park, also being charged to use the cash machine in the hotel. The price of the food is quite pricey.

Excellent location and good breakfast

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

A truly awful chemical fragrance continuously pumped into the reception area. Much too strong. Makes you wonder what smell they are trying to cover! Disappointing that my Hilton membership was null and void so I couldn't use the wifi for free.

The reception staff were very helpful in sorting out a complicated booking as I had multiple people staying, some changing mid stay.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

The air con in our room 312 wouldn't cool down the room.

The lounge and bar area are lovely, nice to have a balcony/outside space been a smoker i hate having to stand outside on the road. Very relaxing area and the bar staff where great very knowledgeable and helpful when we picked out cocktails. Excellent service and very friendly. The location of the Hotel is excellent and an easy walk over the bridge puts you in the heart of Newcastle with Bars and restaurants all within easy reach.

• Double Hilton Room

My room was not made up one night. On informing reception she said it was too late and could not do anything about it. That same night my key card did not work. I went back to reception and she rebooted it. Same problem. Went back again and I asked for 2 cards. Same result. Went back again! The response is she does not have a problem. I went to the concierge and asked him to accompany me to the room. He rebooted and it worked. My car park card did not a,low me to exit one night! Attended my event late. No apology, just tough.

Fresh and clean. Great views.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

We were really tired one of the nights but couldn’t sleep due to a function on in the hotel. It was so loud in our room. Pillows were very uncomfortable and smaller length than normal?

Hotel lobby and entrance was beautiful and liked the fact that even after checkout you can use the pool.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

The room was a fantastic size with two large comfy single beds. Everything was clean and well laid out. Good sized bathroom too. The view from our room was pretty amazing too!

• Double Hilton Room

Carpet had a lot of stains on it. Bed wasn’t comfortable for me. A few fixtures and fittings broken.

Good location. Lobby was nice. Nice views from bar.

• Double Hilton Suite with Lounge Access

We had meals in our suite for 2 nights and they were in general very poor. Service was fine enough but my steak was underdone, my veg 1 point off raw (I am not talking Al dente either!!) and the vaunted crispy twice cooked chips were soggy and in the end inedible. My wife's burger was good that night, but on 2nd night we both tried them and they were dry, half discarded and again accompanying sides were effectively inedible. My guess is that we were victims of a very stretched hotel this holiday weekend. But for the best part of £80 with tray charges I don't think room meals should be any lower priority than restaurant meals.

The suite, staff and general cleanliness were excellent, no exceptions. Breakfast was excellent.

• Double Hilton Room

Wi-Fi wasn't free and we weren't advised that it wasn't free and were charged £12.99. Also thought breakfast was included as we had selected this option when booking the room but it wasn't and we paid £16.95 Food wasn't overly worth the price. We also didn't get to check in until 3 despite advising we were arriving between 1-2pm further to an email from the hotel asking when we were arriving.

Rooms were nice and big, we were given an ice bucket which was handy as I had just bought ice for our drinks. Bathroom was big and clean, interior generally very nice

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

walls dusty and I paid for parking over night and no one give me a card to get out so I was leaving a few times with in the day I ended up spending around 30 pound in parking

Room was amazing Pillows amazing service was amazing

• Double Hilton Room

The only thing I was not happy with is the fact that they did not tell you before arriving that they would be taking a deposit of around £200 for your stay and would refund it back after you had left which in my opinion is a bit much.

The rooms were absolutely brilliant, very clean and the view was great! The facilities were amazing and the staff were all very helpful and friendly!

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

Pool area very dated and we came to use the spa after a stay and we're told that the spa has left us now! Then told the hot tub was out of order then a fire drill went off and were rushed outside! Staff didn't know what was happening. Then car park machine didn't work. Quite a stressy last day of our trip.

Good food and nice staff

• Executive Double Room with Balcony, River View and Lounge Access

Room was expensive as there was an event on. For the standard rate it would have been good value but for the inflated price was a little dissapointed. More Premier Inn rooms than Hilton I would expect

Executive lounge, location and staff friendliness

• Deluxe Double Room with River Tyne View

The only complaint I have is that myself, my wife and 2 children all kept banging our legs on the corner of the bed when walking past (a bit of a strange occurrence!).

The staff were really helpful and friendly

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

room was cold , wanted a pre payment for staying over x2 nights we had to cut our trip short due to not having funds as wasnt mentioned at the time of booking

• Double Hilton Room

From start to finish the hotel reception staff were friendly, professional and went out of their way to make my dog Alfie and I feel very welcome. The room was excellent with amazing views. The food ordered via room service was delicious and very reasonable.

• Double Hilton Room

Excellent location, Clean and well organised as you expect from a Hilton Hotel. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast Excellent and parking very convenient. Nothing negative to say - well done!

• Double Hilton Room

The room's air-con was too noisy to have on all night so the room was stuffy. There was no opening window. We had a lovely view of the garage roof with the generator nearby, so it was noisy. The prices in the bar were far too expensive, £13.10 for a glass of wine and £1.50 for a packet of crisps. We only had 1 milk sachet the first morning, you'd get more in a cheaper hotel!! A disappointing stay in what I had hoped would have been a luxury break.

The bed was okay, the pillows were not. The hotel was really close to where we needed to be, so that was the bonus.

• Double Hilton Room

Your hotel is in a fantastic spot...the view from room 153 and 155 was perfect.everyone was friendly and kind.faultless.our first visit to Newcastle was amazing we will be returning again

• Double Hilton Room

The bed was very uncomfortable. It was like sleeping on a plank of wood and creaked loudly! The same was in my son's room as we were going to swap! We requested extra pillows on two separate occasions but they did not arrive.

The staff were excellent. The food was lovely with great choice.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

Staff was poor communication skills on return to hotel got charged £50 fee because the person staying in room wasn’t on room which was all booked up buy one person so very expensive extra and when tried to explain was either pay£50 or not staying poor from Hilton ain’t what you expect really

• Executive Double Room with Balcony, River View and Lounge Access

Stayed in exec room with river view and balcony. Paying for wifi access is not on when rooms are in this price range, wifi should be free and easy to access. Bathroom poor for the quality of the rest of hotel, shower not powerful at all and bathroom genarally cramped.

Easy check in out process

• Double Hilton Room

Long time to check in and I paid the £50 cash deposit for incidentals which I was told I would receive back upon checking out. When I did check out I received my cash deposit back and was told that the £50 that they'd also taken from my bank account would be returned in a few working days, I wasn't told that the hotel would be taking that from my account as well as the cash deposit.

Nice modern building with spacious rooms and very helpful staff. Breakfast was very good and well worth the money.

• Executive Double Room with Balcony, River View and Lounge Access

wifi arrangements. I know most of us have internet access on our phones and iPads but really Hilton on a room costing over £150 per night you wanted another £12 for wifi. Shame on you!

Excellent breakfast menu. Friendly & attentive staff. Great range of TV channels. Restaurant has best view in the city. Executive lounge overlooked the Tyne and served good quality snacks. Executive room with balcony was perfect. Nice touch of choccies in our room on our anniversary.

• Double Hilton Room

We were allocated a disabled room which was a bit uncomfortable being fairly tall people. There was no bathtub, the shower was very weak, the sink was at knee height (not good for the back). Also the alarm for disabled went off intermittantly in the morning due to a technical fault. We were compensated with free breakfast (for the alarm) and parking (for the disabled room) but never the less this is not what one expects when staying at a Hilton.

The breakfast choice was good and the breakfast staff were very friendly and proactive. The location is superb.

• Double Hilton Room

Price discrepancy on arrival between Hilton and booking.com. My price challenge was greeted with apathy but was sorted for check out. Rooms nothing special. Cracked and loose tiles in the bathroom. Water saving shower poor. WiFi £12.99 per day unless you sign up to their rewards system.

Location great. Sensible parking tarrif

• Double Hilton Room

Very noisy hotel with large groups of people staying for hen do and stag do. Broken toilet in our room and prank calls throughout the night. Very disturbed sleep!

Wasn't reminded of Hilton Honors initially for free early check in so remember to ask for this

Handy location. Breakfast offered far cheaper at check in in rather than pre-booking it. Rooms quiet despite all that was going on.

• Double Hilton Room

Stayed here on the 4/5/18. Lovely hotel in a great location, you can either walk into the centre of Newcastle or get the Metro wherever you like. The room was clean and comfortable. There was a wide variety of choice for breakfast, it was very nice and I really enjoyed making my own waffles! I found it appealing that the hotel has its own car park as it’s very convenient, however it’s a shame that you have to pay extra for it. I had a lovely stay here and the staff were very polite and helpful, I would definitely go back again.

• Double Hilton Room

I didn’t like the fact that we hadn’t WiFi on the second day of our stay and that we were expected to pay for it. I am a regular traveller in a range of hotels and this is the first time I have encountered this. Also having to pay £50 incidental damage per night (this is refundable within 5 days) was a definite first for me!

I liked the fact that the hotel was clean and fresh and staff were friendly.

• Deluxe Double Room with River Tyne View

Bed had lumps in and wasn’t very comfortable

the view we had from our room was so lovely especially lite up at night, the room was pretty standard expected slightly more from a Hilton brand hotel

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

Room was too hot, no fresh air as couldn't open a window. The room was clean and comfortable though

Clean, excellent location. Quiet. Fabulous breakfast

• Double Hilton Room

When I booked the hote through booking.com I was told that I wouldn’t pay for the hotel until I checked in. This was not the case as the money for the room was taken within 24 hours. I find this happens a lot with booking.com

• Double Hilton Room

The hill up to the hotel 😂

Excellent and friendly staff! Lovely birthday surprise in room and reception, lovely view and fabulous breakfast loads of choice.

• Double Hilton Suite with Lounge Access

I got invoiced for the full charge of the room when it was prepaid. I couldn't get anyone on the phone who could actually advise me what to do and had to rely on the text message service. Post payment options were not well documented and I'm currently left in limbo as to how much and when I need to pay the balance.

Superb executive suite. Great river view and of the Tyne bridge. Well stocked complementary mini bar, 2 giant tv's and a huge bed. The dinner was fantastic, steak was cooked to perfection and barely any fat. The staff were all lovely and accommodating, they messaged me a few times enquiring about how happy we were. All the porters spoke to you as you walked past which was a nice touch.

• Double Hilton Room

No plug sockets by the bed.

Russ from reception was very helpful and friendly couldn’t do enough for us. Was great to see someone who was always happy to help an have a chat with. Defiantly made our stay!!!

• Executive Double Room with Balcony, River View and Lounge Access

Very squeaky bed and only a double. We fought for the small duvet all night. Unusual for an executive room to not utilise the space better and provide a Superking . Also disappointed with the pool, very small and 2 lanes were closed off for children having swimming lessons leaving a few adults avoiding each other in one narrow lane.

Fantastic views and great location.

• Double Hilton Room

Breakfast selection was excellent! We also ate from the bar in the evening and that was also excellent. The staff were fantastic and very helpful . Will definitely be returning .

• Double Hilton Room

Awful experience from start to finish! Arrived to the room to find they had put us in a disabled access room (not what we wanted or needed) told they would reserve £50 on our card in case we took from the mini bar which was absolutely fine except that the mini bar was completely empty! No security on the door at night meant that we were woken by a party in the next room at 4am! Called reception to complain, took another half an hour for them to sort it! Awoken again at 8am by the disabled alarms going off in the room every few minutes! Reported this to be told they are experiencing problems with the alarms and trying to fix it! On check out the receptionist asked if we would be staying for breakfast, at this point we just wanted to get home and have some sleep! Ruined our special night away for my husbands birthday! Would not return to Hilton Newcastle ever again!

• Double Hilton Room

too expensive 17 pound for 2 gins 14 pound 2 sandwiches 50 pound room credit on checking in up to 5 dsys to recieve back stayed in many hotels first time done this normally just keep card on record

lovely clean hotel friendly staff

• Double Hilton Room

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary when we checked in we got free upgrade to an executive suite and access to the executive lounge and glass bubbly each ,a lovely touch the room was lovely .All staff very welcoming and friendly.Great hotel very clean and comfortable this was the second time we stayed here and will certainly be staying here again . Everything was perfect from start to finish .Spa and pool area lovely ,food great to lovely bed really comfortable and breakfast was lovely .The staff made our anniversary extra special amazing hotel great staff who go above and beyond .The executive lounge was lovely great views and again staff in there were so friendly

• Double Hilton Room

I found the Hilton fabulous. It was lovely it exceeded my expectations, from a cosy bed to a lovely bathroom. The breakfast in the morning was excellent and the staff were helpful to and polite. Overall l would have no qualms about going back it was a wonderful experience!

air con really noisy and window didn't open. Stuffy. Did not sleep well. children would like hot chocolate sachets

swimmimg pool Staff swapped rooms around so we could be nearer family - big thanks

• Double Hilton Room

I haven't received my email receipt from Hilton and can't find my Hilton Honours membership code Also, cleaning staff ignored my Do Not Disturb sign - knocked, and entered the room which was a massive intrusion of privacy Would benefit from clearer signage to car park

Great rooms with comfortable beds and a great view over the river. Super friendly front of house staff who are very attentive. Breakfast was delicious and wish I could have eaten more - however I think the price of not pre-booking at £16,95 is just ridiculous

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The only let down was we booked a room for 4 and only had 2 glasses and 2 towels and no bedding for the pull out bed. Also there was a contact lens, kit kat wrapper and children’s small toy left behind in the room so cleanliness wasn’t great

Breakfast was fantastic the staff there couldn’t do enough for us, and great options. Pool and changing facilities were fab. The coffee was nice and strong.

• Double Hilton Room

Everything was great! Maybe just a little surprised about the charges of the car park, I was expecting that to be included in the price but the actual hotel is amazing!

The room was lovely!!! 😍😍😍

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

Drink prices a little steep but to be expected. Charged different price for same drink in the bar on second night of our stay.

Love everything about the hotel,ive stayed before and will be staying again, hopefully for the weekend the tall ships are in sunderland.The staff are friendly,helpful yet professional. Amazing breakfast at a very good price with amazing views from the restaurant and from our room.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

They didn’t have the correct order of how many were staying in the room even though our booking.com reservation had it. They also took 2 hours to get a bed on wheels and 2 spare beddings for us and they failed to provide adequate beds and bedding for 2 adults and 2 children.

Room was very clean

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

I'd booked five twin rooms and got four doubles and a twin (latter may have asked for a change). It turned out eventually that we were all couples so this didn't really matter as also the beds were so huge and really comfortable.

The breakfast was excellent. Particularly impressive that we came down just before 10 and yet the dishes were all full and freshly cooked. Chefs and breakfast staff very helpful and friendly. Also liked the fantastic view from our room.

• Double Hilton Room

The initial room was not comfortable since the heater was not working properly. Shifted to a new room which was better.

The breakfast spread was nice.

• Twin Hilton Guestroom

I was absolutely mortified to be woken up by housekeeping at 9am on the morning of check out (which was midday), after a night out clubbing, no breakfast ordered and a do not disturb sign on the door. This really annoyed me. I feel that the rooms need some sort of window, i do appreciate that there was air con but i couldn't figure it out! I also think that the room could have done with being lit better. My friend and i were trying to get ready with the curtains closed and also trying to do make up, lighting wasn't amazing.

Staff were lovely, especially the concierge service. He couldn't do enough for us! Room was lovely quality, very comfortable and had everything we needed. They accommodated my request to be situated with a view of the tyne bridge. Bed's were so comfy! Real quality feel. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was lovely, but i will admit the shower took me a while to work out!

Having to pay £1 for a towel in the spa if you are a guest. No "tea and cakes" menu in the afternoon - just an eyewateringly expensive afternoon tea. Paying to park there for the weekend as a guest - £20. Restaurant and bar prices.

Lovely friendly staff. Choice at breakfast was amazing. Fantastic view over the river if in a room on that side, otherwise our other room in our party had the view over buildings behind - very dull.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I cannot think of anything that would improve the experience

All of the staff were lovely, could not be more helpful. Breakfast options are varied and the views and ambience generally are good.

• Double Hilton Room

Toilet Flush only worked after several tries, Aircon controls not working too hot and fan blowing noisily all night. Not the same standards as previous stays. Unlike other hotels no free wifi or even bottled water in room.

Location to The Sage

• Double Hilton Room

I was not very well at the time of this visit and was undergoing radio therapy. The staff throughout the hotel ,from reception through to housekeeping. could not have been more understanding and helpful. I commend them all. Thank you.

Browse Hilton Newcastle Gateshead traveller photo gallery