Reviews of Hilton Reading 4 stars

Drake Way, Reading, RG2 0GQ, United Kingdom

#3 of 38 hotels in Reading

• Queen Guest Room

I didn't like that we were charged for 3 extra breakfasts after explaining everything the night before about 3 of the rooms only have one person in them and the other was someone who was fasting through Ramadam. We still haven't been refunded the money! The other 2 rooms were occupied by two couples. So 2 couples, 3 singles and a fasting single 7 breakfasts and we were charged as if the 3 singles had a person with them. It wouldn't be so bad had we not explained for 45 minutes the night before and the receptionist said she understood. The other issue was that we explained only one credit card should be charged and the receptionist acknowledged this also and then at check out it showed two credit cards being charged. Its obviously not a very efficient system booking via yourselves rather than with the hotel. We travel most weekends to judge shows, hence so many of us, we probably won't use this again.

The service in the restaurant including breakfast was good. The food was good. The rooms were as usual clean and bed comfortable.

• Twin Guest Room

- Restaurante excesivamente caro / Too expensive restaurant.

- Muy buen hotel / Very good and comfortable hotel. - Empleados amables / Kind and helpful staff,

• Queen Guest Room

The bathroom was very slippery and consequently my husband and myself slipped

The location was superb with great facilities although time did not allow for us to use them

• Queen Guest Room

We booked this hotel to stay at after a friends wedding and were very impressed! We thought it was fantastic value for money (as we paid under £70!) and it was very comfortable. The staff were really friendly too and welcoming. The pool/sauna facilities were excellent - and certainly very much enjoyed by us before we checked out on the Sunday. It's in a good location too, quite central in Reading. There are also a couple of shops/businesses nearly, so we chose to have breakfast outside of the hotel and went to a cafe called Fidget and Bob which was literally a two minute walk away and did lovely food. Would highly recommend for those on more of a budget! Overall, I would definitely recommend Hilton Reading to anyone who needs to stay in the area. We were very pleased to get such a good deal at a local place so we could easily celebrate our friends wedding. It's an absolutely fantastic new hotel. :)

• Queen Guest Room

automatic service charge of 12.5% on card payments in the bar- £1 on 2 beers that we paid for at the bar!!

Excellent hotel and room,, fabulous huge TV and great air con Staff very helpful Will definitely return and recommend!

• Queen Guest Room

The car park is a bit grubby but it is what it is. Overall hotel exceeds expectations.

Cleanliness Decor Room facilities such as heated mirror in bathroom and iron with light on Comfy bed and lovely linen Huge tv Refurbished to high standard

• Queen Guest Room

The food was way overpriced in the restaurant. The chips seemed to be cooked in old oil, I had the bbq chicken and for £10 there was nothing, 5 small pieces of chicken with some cucumber and carrot sticks that appeared to have been cut hours ago as they were so dry. It also smelt of sewage outside when we arrived. The breakfast started as a farce, the guy who served us had no idea what I was asking when I said id got a gluten intolerance (I had told them in advance of staying about this and the receptionist on check in confirmed theyd sent this to the chef!). The waiter just said yes and walked off and started serving everyone else! I had to ask more than once, it was turned around by a lovely lady server who was really helpful and organised a GF breakfast for me.

Comfortable room

• Twin Guest Room

-The spa facility lacks Jacuzzi -Toilet and changing area was very dirty and toilet was smelly -The sauna was out of use. -TV was not working

Location was good.Transport was easy. Room was clean

• Twin Guest Room

The network was bad and room service was a bit slow not that i minded but time efficient is important

Would like to thank Natalia for her great service.

• Queen Guest Room

Please mute the lift audio. It isn’t necessary!

We’ve stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and have normally been satisfied. On this visit, we feel there have been a number of improvements to the room and the hotel in general which was extremely welcoming. However, we were visiting family so we had no need to use the restaurant on this occasion.

• Queen Guest Room

All the staff are very friendly excellent customer service the hotel was outstanding very clean and professional would definitely recommend this hotel

Nothing all was excelent 😊

The booking in was very quick polite very helpful staff,room was very modern and clean,fridge in room tea facilities massive telly great ,bed was very comfortable best slept in any hotel for ages! Breakfast was so much choice if veggie sausages on request,also pancake maker was different.enjoyed our stay defiantly be back Thank you Hilton Hotel 😊

• Queen Guest Room

The fact the windows couldn’t open for some fresh air... but I assumed it was something to do with health and safety logistics

Customer service here is top class! Two hours into my stay I receive a text from reception asking if there was anything they could do to make stay better... I’ve never had that before. It’s the little things!

• Twin Guest Room

central heating metal frame fell off when i went to adjust air temp. obviously broken for some time. unable to get bath to drain - either jammed or need instuctions printed.

• Queen Guest Room

Shame the pool closed at 9. We arrived late after long day & would’ve loved a swim & sauna.

The bed was really comfortable. I’m only sorry I didn’t peel the sheets back to check what make the mattress was so I could’ve bought one!! Free parking- a massive plus!

• Queen Guest Room

Only thing that was off was we could hear the woman in the room listening to her music and being sexual,. Bit off putting but that’s nothing to do with the hotel

Slept like a baby as they say

• King Guest Room

Would have liked a view and location too far from city centre to walk

King size bed Ensuite facilities Cleanliness Free parking Complimentary water in GLASS bottle Pool and Gym

Our evening meal was a disgrace. I had the chicken supreme. It was the smallest leg I have seen for a long time. I ordered it with Bernaise sauce which did not arrive and I had to ask for it. The same applied to my sister-in-law for a different sauce. I also asked for new potatoes which had clearly been microwaved several times and the 'salad' was just a few bits of rocket. Furthermore the plate was stone cold. Breakfast was more or less acceptable but probably only because we were down early. The real annoyance was that my brother had his small dog with him. In the morning your receptionist attempted to charge him £35 for 'pet in room'. He pointed out that the dog always sleeps in the back of his Rolls Royce which is where he spent the night. Unbelievably the staff refused to believe him because they said they had been to the garage and could find no dog. Hardly surprising since he is small and sleeps behind the front seats on the floor. They also had the cheek to check his room for evidence. That really is the bitter end.

Not very much. The afternoon tea was quite good but how can you justify £16.20 per person?

• Queen Guest Room

The food was absolutely dreadful, I've had better school dinners. We were presented with a different menu to online and when it arrived it was poorly presented a extremely bland! One of the worst meal I've ever had out. For the price you expect much better. A dreadful shame!

The staff were lovely

• Queen Guest Room

The restaurant had very watered down orange juice and odd breakfast practices...Like being able to order poached eggs that came on a little side plate so you had to go and make your own toast. I wasn't expecting that

Comfortable and clean

• Queen Room - Mobility Access

One lift not working all the time we were there. Complimentary biscuits in room would be nice.

Excellent value for 2 nights. Convenient for the event we were attending. Free parking.

• Queen Guest Room

The only thing that let the hotel down was the food at dinner.... top end prices for pub grub 😞 I had what tasted like oven chips ! Not what you would expect , my partner had chicken supreme which was very disappointing for £18.50

The staff were exceptional!at check in ..the room was lovely,

• Queen Guest Room

The bar is very noisy with 2 televisions on which is not good when you just want to read a book with a glass of wine. the food was very slow to turn up in the restaurant even just only a few people in the restaurant.

the bed is very comfortable very clean receptionist is very helpful when I asked for a quite room, car park is easy to find and plenty of spaces and definitely a bonus! Will stay for my son’s graduation ceremony in July.

• Queen Guest Room

Our room had a cracked window. Slight concern as we were so high up, also the noise from the main road outside was quite loud at times - I’d ask to stay at the front of the property and not the back where we stayed - unless you don’t mind the noise of traffic from about 5am

Staff were helpful and polite, couldn’t fault them. Room was spotless and comfy.

• Twin Room - Mobility Access

Being sent to another persons room

When we checked in we went to our room and found other people’s bags in the room, it was not a very pleasant experience and we had to make our way back down to the reception to let them know. They were very apologetic and almost as embarrassed as us.

• Queen Guest Room

Parking was a pain. Had function on at hotel so no chance of parking space as parking not guaranteed for guests. Nearby roads also packed out

The bed was lovely and comfortable and nice shower/bathroom

• Queen Guest Room

Minor but quilt was much smaller than the cover so slid to one side, one of us has quilt and one only the cover.

Helpful staff, clean and efficient. Car park was a huge bonus. Room ideal for desk work.

• Queen Guest Room

That I couldn't open a window, however my window was huge so gave maximum light. Not a deal breaker.

Staff were very polite and gave a very personal service. As a lone female my room was close to reception and lifts which I feel ALL hotels should try and do. Excellent stay

• Queen Guest Room

As a smoker I would have liked a balcony in my room were I could smoke or a smoking area.

The staff is amazing. Rooms are very comfortable. Food is great. Really great breakfast

• Queen Guest Room

Nice hotel with large, comfortable rooms. Free Wi-Fi was available throughout the hotel. Very convenient location if visiting the Madejski Stadium (15 mins walk away). Easy to get to from Reading train station - plenty of taxis at the station, and there are buses that stop just outside the hotel.

• Queen Guest Room

Blackout curtains need to reach the floor completely, so light doesn’t come in so early in the morning. Given that mine was a deluxe room it could have had better decor and furniture, looked a bit outdated and tired. Bathroom was very compact! Would be nice to have more up to date coffee facilities than a kettle, something like nespresso would be good.

Extra comfy bed, quiet room, great heat/AC, good gym and pool facilities, great room service, good hot shower, great TV.

• Queen Guest Room

The reception staff were very friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable. It was also very quiet at night which was a bonus. The breakfast was lovely and again the staff very friendly.

• Queen Guest Room

Too far to walk to town centre in bad weather and traffic in surrounds very bad for a few hours in the morning.

Clean spacious rooms, with full bathroom including bath. Good buffet breakfast. 6-7 GBP for an Uber into town.

• Twin Guest Room

The Bacon had a lot of white residue on it and the sausages sitting in fat too long.

The beds and pillows were very comfortable, nice size room and very good TV.

• Twin Deluxe Room

I was travelling with my disabled grandad and I mentioned that in my booking however we were put extremely far away from the lift so he had to walk a long way which was a struggle for him.

The breakfast and evening food was amazing expensive but worth the money.

• Queen Deluxe Room

The artwork… Dreadful so boring, uninspiring the picture in our room looks like a photo of mouldy fruit? Was happy with the room wouldn’t call it deluxe as we had asked to stay in. There was nothing Deluxe about it apart from the speaker in the bathroom? Balian of tea or coffee is in the room for myself and my husband felt as if they were on a budget which I wouldn’t expect for Hilton hotel. Had expected it to have more of a luxurious feel to be honest so a little disappointed. The staff were absolutely lovely

Food was verynice.. hour and a half wait for a table… Not nice ended up having to eat in the bar .

Coming home

Lovely room and the reception staff went out of there way to make sure you had a good stay best reception staff I have ever come across and we've staying at a lot of hotels

• Queen Deluxe Room

Deluxe room was high standard, clean and spacious with good wifi and large LED TV. Restaurant had good meals and there was plenty of room in the bar area for relaxation. The Hilton is now top of my list for future stays in Reading.

• Queen Guest Room

The view from our room over the top of the swimming pool.

The room was very clean and tidy. The breakfast was excellent and the quality and quantity of food outstanding. All staff very polite and helpful.

• King Guest Room

2 single beds made to make the double bed, my pet hate! When you laid in the middle you felt and uncomfortable crack!

Very enjoyable stay. Very friendly staff, and fantastic breakfast.

• Queen Guest Room

The TV in our room didn’t work so we had to swap rooms then the new rooms TV worked intermittently which was annoying of an evening time. When we checked out they tried to over charge us as the reduced price had not translated over from the website we booked it from.

Hotel was nice and clean. Was a reduced price as a last minute booking. Staff friendly and helpful.

A bit far out from the oracle centre £10 each way in taxi

I came to reading Hilton to celebrate my birthday and the reception front desk sent a cake with happy birthday to my room very nice touch

• Twin Guest Room

The swimming pool area is looking very tired, one of the exit ladders was moving and it all just looked old. As we ordered a twin room it would have been nice to have a comfortable chair each, as one had a comfy chair and the other had an office chair. Both the bar and Restaraunt were slow. The bar had two tills running one for cash, and one for card which hadn’t been set up. He served 3 of us at once I had my drink first but paid last, frankly I had just driven four hours and just wanted to sit down and relax and my bar light meal took half an hour to come, it was only croquettes! The chef did send out complimentary chips, which was nice, but I just wanted a light bite before my meal later. I would like to have eaten it at the same time as my friend who ordered hers at the same time, however, she received hers within 5 mins of ordering so I sat for a further 25 minutes waiting. I asked twice, I was told her squid didn’t take as long to cook as the croquettes. I would have had a sandwich had there been more than a choice of 1 on the menu. The light bite choices were frankly dire and more the portion of a starter. I paid £7.00 for 6 croquettes. Which were frankly not impressive. The Restaraunt were quick to take the order, however again almost 1/2 an hour, the table that came in ten minutes later than us were sat eating their fish & chips 10 minutes before we were served our steak. There was practically no choice difference between the bar meals and the restaurant

Receptionist were so helpful, polite, courteous and smiling. Room and bathroom were clean

• Twin Guest Room

Drinks pricing is a bit silly. £4.00 for a pint of lager and £3.75 for a 330ml Coke!! That’s proper extortion and surely wrong?!! Ridiculous and not much of an incentive to not drink alcohol if you are driving

• Queen Family Room

Hotel is advertised by Hilton & Booking.com as having Spa/Beauty treatments, Massage available in the Spa. They do not have those facilities. They just have pool,sauna,steam room, gym. The reason for our visit was to entertain potential clients and we had planned for the ladies to have beauty treatments/massage whilst I had a meeting with my potential client. It was very embarrassing to then find that these facilities were not available. As Booking.com are still advertising the property with these facilities as of today I suggest Booking.com provide a refund. The restaurant had 2 attempts to cook my client's steak in the evening before we gave up as they couldn't get it right and we were due at a show in the local theatre so couldn't wait for a third attempt by the kitchen.

• King Deluxe Room

I believe water should be provided at no charge in the rooms it would be a tremendous gesture.

Food presentation excellent in bar and Restaurant. Staff are all friendly. Spa area clean and well worth a visit and again staff helpful.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access

Cleanliness of cutlery. The long black fibres in husbands cooked breakfast. Ceiling coving in room dropping down on 3 sides of the room. The toilets were DISGUSTING there was a very large amount of human faeces all over the cubicle walls, floor & the toilet basin itself, apparently from the NIGHT BEFORE there had been a private function downstairs. Husband went in there midway through his breakfast which did not help.

• Queen Guest Room

This was second time stayed at this hotel, had such a lovely stay and have recommended to all my family and friends. The room was nice and quiet room and bed was lovely but pillows were too soft so had to used two but that’s my personal preference but confident that if asked for hard pillows the staff would of been most happy to organise.

• Queen Guest Room

Not enough plug sockets near to the bed, which meant I had to charge my phone from the desk. Slightly inconvenient but not a huge problem.

Great staff at all levels. Very friendly and very eager to help! Bravo!

• Queen Guest Room

Crowded bar because of Xmas parties. Difficult to get served.

The location is part of a housing estate. Not very attractive. Handy for Circle hospital next door.

• Twin Guest Room

I thought when I booked it there was a jacuzzi in the spa are but there wasn’t .... my mistake though and not the end of the world

The bed was extremely comfortable and staff very helpful and friendly

• Queen Family Room

For a queen room , small double bed. Bar laced atmosphere and overpriced .Not enough loungers by the pool . For pool reduced hours there was not a clear explanation of time needed to clear the area to allow cleaning so time was short to use facility .

high quality steam and sauna. lots of breakfast choice . Fantastic beauty treatment

• King Guest Room

It was a comfusion with what time close the swimming pool and sauna. The reception told us 21:00 every day and the gay there at 20:30. We went there 20:10. Up to now I don’t know the time. Any way it isn’t a seriou problem but there is something. - The breakfast just good not many food and choices. They have to improve it for the price.

- The bed very comfortable. - the staff in the reception excellent. - the staff in the breakfast and bar excellent.

• Queen Guest Room

Couldn't find anything to complain about a very pleasant stay

The atmosphere of the hotel was very good and the staff were excellent, the breakfast was also excellent compared with other hotels we have stayed in.

• Twin Guest Room

The only thing that I was slightly disappointed with was the comfort of the bed I found it to be very hard apart from that the rest of the experience was wonderful.

The hotel was modern and had a large variety of facilities, it was also quick and easy to check in and out. with very friendly and helpful staff to give us information about the local area.

• Queen Guest Room

I came back from a night club I was still in my room with a friends talking when I notice blood marks on the sheets I left straight away because I felt sick ... I checked out at 6am I told the staff there asked me to send it to a email address and I don’t hear nothing back

Staff was very friendly

• Queen Guest Room

Inflexibility of management, very rude evening staff talking over the phone while eating. Very disappointing!!!

Good location and overall infrastructure expected from Hilton

• Queen Guest Room

When phoning I didn’t like how long it took to get through and it felt like I was calling a call centre which felt artificial. I had phoned to enquire if our room had a hairdryer. I was told we would need to request this. I brought my own to find one in the room meaning I had walked with one unnecessarily.

Room was comfortable and had all we needed. Reception staff in particular were very friendly and efficient

• Twin Guest Room

The cutlery wasn't clean which was disappointing. Needed a fresh lick of paint in the restaurant. Very pricey drinks in the bar area, £3.95 for a small Diet Coke. Ridiculous!

The parking was excellent. We went for afternoon tea in the restaurant, which was very nice. Staff were helpful and friendly. Rooms were nice, nothing too fancy but had everything we needed for a night away.

• Queen Guest Room

You must have a car or get a taxi -it's away out on it's own.

Very comfortable and near to The Circle Hospital, which is why I stayed there. Very nice staff. Good breakfast

• Queen Guest Room

The credit card was asked for secure the booking, the staff wasn't responsible at all, they charge whole group from my credit card, i assume that must easy for them. When I called the reception for this issue, the receptionist was not friendly at all. When I said , I will feedback to your group for the service issue, he replied: please do! Also, When I checked in, there was a guy also no patient . .. everything was good except staff .

• Queen Guest Room

Comunication between hotel and booking.com as in we asked for a corner room and none feather bedding, upon arrival we had neither but they changed the bedding for us, hotel cannot blame everything on booking.com if they dont check the booking details

Nice place

• Twin Guest Room

Label in warer in the room saying it cost£3.68 a bottle! I paid a lot for the room and I think water should be free. I was dehydrated and eventually drank it , but was not charged. Information ffomBooking. Com was poor and inaccurate and when I was asked for feedback I rated them poor and so my rating was not continued

Bed large and comfortable

• Queen Guest Room

Cleanness, toilet was not clean and was a great concern to me as i was giving my partner a treat, that really let me down.

Ambience was good, i liked the breakfast.

• Queen Guest Room

Free water in the room . Prices of drinks in the bar .

Room was great - the breakfast was yummy . Very efficient staff . Swimming pool area was clean and made the stay good value for money.

• Queen Guest Room

Hilton hotels need to get their policy sorted out in relation to functions.We were woken up at1:30am by clubbing style music with booming speaker - all coming from the function room. This is the second time this had happened at a Hilton hotels venue. It does create a very goog impression of the brand,

Generally a good standard hotel. Very clean and a nice breakfast.

• Twin Guest Room

Breakfast food for Hilton expected much better. Bacon looked raw beans over heated so much they was like mash.

Reception check in staff. One in particular but unfortunately I didn't catch her name.

• Queen Guest Room

We weren't made aware of the function going on, so we could hear the music base until 1am and then lots of loud visitors going back to their rooms around 1.30-2am.

Staff were fairly helpful and made us feel welcome. Clean rooms. Good parking etc

• Queen Guest Room

When we arrived in the hotel we checked in and was given 2 keys for our room. When we got to the first floor our room keys wouldn't work so my partner Ian had to go back down to reception. When he came back up the keys still wouldn't work so we had to ask the cleaner to open our room. This caused us inconvenience and delayed our stay. When I checked out I wasn't given the receipt to confirm I was happy with the price. They charged my card and I had to ask for the receipt afterwards to make sure everything was correct.

The bed was very comfy and had free parking

• Queen Guest Room

It's a small thing but we have to have the keys to our room changed within the first hour of being there as they stopped working. Similarly, when leaving the underground parking in the morning, we had trouble with the machine not reading our ticket(s).

The bed and the pillows were heavenly. Such a good night's sleep.

• Queen Guest Room

Extremely overpriced, staff were horrific! The welcome we received was appalling and the money they take and hold on check in took over 2 weeks and 3 phone calls to the hotel to have put back into my account! If your happy to pay £8 for a single Malibu and coke then your in luck! Overpriced for the service you actually receive!

Comfy bed and nice food

• Twin Guest Room

Staff very helpful especially Vanessa on reception and Sunil food manager

Not very well located if you wish to enjoy visiting Reading or anything outside the hotel! Staff excellent. Cleanliness V Good but breakfast tables sticky! Showers Poor - water flow very weak on first and second floors ( rooms we occupied)

• Queen Guest Room

I like everything. The place is beautiful, the staff friendly and helpful

Am sorry the first answer should Excellent not poor My guests enjoyed the place would be happy to use Hilton again

• Twin Guest Room

I had a minor problem with parking late one night but it was promptly addressed by the management the next morning.

THE HOTEL MANAGER MR BENAVISTO WAS PARTICULARLY EFFICIENT AND COURTEOUS.

• Queen Guest Room

The Hilton is excellent in all aspects, close to Reading center (10min by car), but conveniently located in a quiet area. We were very pleased with the service, breakfast and all other facilities.