Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon Hotel 4 stars

Lydiard Fields, Great Western Way, Swindon, SN5 8UZ, United Kingdom

#11 of 18 hotels in Swindon

• Queen Guest Room

The free warm cookie is great BUT it contained nuts so my friend couldn’t eat it. Maybe have a variety and ask about allergies.

Spacious reception area with bar & coffee area to relax in. Plenty of parking spaces and couldn’t hear any outside noise from traffic when in the rooms. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

My only concern was, when booking in, the receptionist said that our booking was not right and had I used Booking.com as it was always the same with them. I told her that I used Booking.com regularly with other companies and had never had the issue before, maybe the problem was theirs.

The room was a good size and very comfortable for the three of us

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Only x3 full size towels for x4 people?? By the point we noticed in the morning we just made do, although I am sure they would have rectified the problem if we had let them know.

The little touches like the hot cookie on arrival were nice, the staff were all great especially Emma who checked us in, she was lovely and went above & beyond.

• Twin Hilton Guest Room

The food was poor quality and the staff disorganised. Struggling to cope with the numbers of guests eating.

The building was very attractive as was the setting.

• Queen Guest Room

bottled water charge, only free in certain rooms

value for money and comfortable. It lived up to exception. Breakfast and food ok staff friendly and helpful.

• Queen Guest Room

The bed was dreadful bedding did not fit. It felt like the springs where about to come through. It sqweek so badly I felt I could not move I complained to reception but they refused to do anything about it. Banging on doors during the night. Then housekeeping started knocking on doors and shouting at 9am. After a bad night. The quilt cover did not cover the bed so I had no bedding . Dreadful place

Dinner

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Car park charge of £3. (Presumably to deter "free" parking, but should be refunded for overnight guests)

Good location for access to M4 at Swindon. Lovely cookies on check-in!

• Queen Guest Room

Bar service a little slow in the evening but really not a big issue.

The hotel was perfect for our needs. Clean, convenient, great breakfast and good sized towels (I hate the tiny bath towels you get in some hotels!). Friendly staff, delicious welcome cookie and a smooth check out process.

• Junior King Suite

Bed was very uncomfortable in our suite. Creaked at every movement. Buffet breakfast wasn’t very hot. Noise from other guests above and in corridor.

Omelette to order at breakfast was very nice. Hotel position great for what we needed

• Deluxe Queen Family Room

Bizarre to ask for a fee for parking from a guest that is paying to stay. Particularly in a hotel by the motorway that seems to be miles away from any facilities that might encourage 'rogue' parking. We logged our registration plate on check in. Surely that should be enough to control parking - simply pursue those for which there is no logged plate?

Good value for room

• Queen Guest Room

My room after I had booked in some how got allocated to another guest. I received a knock at the door after several attempts of this guest trying to get into my room! He showed me his key card and it was the same as mine. My concern is if I had not locked my door or was not in my room this gentleman could have just walked in!! No good enough especially when you are a woman travelling alone!

Clean and tidy bedroom and bathroom, good value for money.

• Deluxe Queen Family Room

Sofa bed smelt of smoke and tilted one way. Used flannel on 2 year old daughters face and it came up with rash. When i complained about it to staff at the end the response was simply sorry to hear that.

The bathroom was clean and the room modern. Good facilities.

• Twin Hilton Guest Room

I would have like a toilet brush in the room.

Comfy bed, very clean room, excellent breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff. Bonus a fridge in room. Yes I would stay again.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

My only tiny criticism would be the water pressure of the shower could have been better, however still perfectly acceptable!

The room was exceptionally large, very comfortable, clean and the bathroom was spacious and clean!

• Deluxe Twin Room

We were given a room with an adjoining door. We could hear every noise the people next door made. We heard them snoring, running the bath, drying their hair and several other things I won't mention.We could even hear their conversation in detail. We got no sleep and when we pointed this all out to the staff member on reception the next morning she just said yeah sorry but some of the rooms are like that. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this was by far the least soundproofed room I think I've ever come across. It was a nice touch to be given a cookie each on arrival. A lovely idea but perhaps pointing out to people that they contain nuts would have been useful. It did actually tell you this on the brown paper bag they were in but it was quite dimly lit in the reception area and as we arrived when it was dark our room only had the lamps on and my friend (who is allergic to nuts) did not notice this until she had eaten some of it. Luckily she had an EpiPen and antihistamines but some people with severe allergies can be affected without even eating it so this needs to be reconsidered. Lovely idea and a nice welcome but please warn people about the nuts.

Friendly staff member on arrival. Clean room with lovely bathroom.

• Twin Hilton Guest Room

Wi-Fi did not work. The check in staff were confused about the amount o was being charged and attempted to charge me £40 extra. Stains on the carpets in the room. Hot water kept going off then coming back on burning hot. Very poor vegetarian selection on menu.

Cookie on arrival was a nice touch. Beds very comfortable and no noise during the night. Slept very well.

• Queen Guest Room

Bed was awful. Rock hard. Restaurant was one of the worse I have visited. Food was terrible - inedible!!

Staff were friendly. Room was clean. Nice warm cookie on arrival.

• Queen Guest Room

I didn’t like the fact that after 11pm I had to put a security “holding fee” down in order to buy food.

I enjoyed the size and space in the room. The room facilities were brilliant as well. The staff were friendly when we checked in, and we were surprised when the gentleman who checked us in gave us a free cookie - a welcome alternative to the “chocolate on the pillow” as the cookie was warm and crumbly.

• Queen Guest Room

Springs on the bed were a bit rickety but slept well and only one Cider at the bar 🤨 and the choice of beer was terrible. But had a nice stay away.

We had a lovely stay, relaxing lovely meal friendly service.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

unfortunately hubby could not enjoy cookie as it had nuts in maybe have 2 choices

there was an elder gentleman in reception who was exceptionally friendly and helpful. just a lovely experience all round. a lovely warm cookie on entrance what a lovely idea. our daughter had a lovely comfortable bed instead of a sofa which was very good. all in all a lovely stay away from home.

• Queen Guest Room

being charged for the parking (£3( !! - we were told upon arrival - it was not on the reservation detail and it should be stated as it is in Europe or elsewhere in the UK - therefore it did not manage our expectations. The Restaurant was not open for Dinner - this was not stated on the reservation detail either therefore we had to eat in the bar area. Good sized room but not vacuumed to a high enough standard -suggest the Manager looks at the bed leg area! We didn't dare look under the bed.....

Warm welcome; easy decor; comfortable bed; plenty of parking; breakfast (served in the restaurant!!!!) was very good.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Being on the ground floor we were unable to open the window for fresh air although we did realise it would be noisy from the traffic!

The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower excellent and I liked the fridge for my fresh milk !

• Queen Guest Room

The bed was the worst bed I have ever slept on, so uncomfortable as you could feel every spring and heard them creak every time we moved, no sleep for me!!

Very clean and staff helpful

• Junior King Suite

Our room service food was a little disappointing.

We had a lovely room - the King Junior Suite. It was perfect for our family and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Having to pay for car park £3 day when your a guest in hotel.

Breakfast choice fantastic. Staff very helpful and courteous. Room excellent. Clean flannels and new shower gels, soap everyday.

• Deluxe Queen Family Room

I had several issues with the bedroom, but everything was sorted by the hotel. The hotel offered some vouchers because the inconvenience. The sofa is not very comfortable for children. Small home for family with two children.

Breakfast, staff and hotel in general.

• Queen Guest Room

Position of the hotel isn't the best for tourists that do not have a car. The restaurant looks more like a canteen other than a restaurant.

Staff is very professional and charming. Room is spacious, comfortable and clean

• Queen Guest Room

The bed was not very comfortable, and constantly squeaked. Additionally the WiFi would not let me log in with my booking details.

The hotel was well presented, the food was very good.

• Queen Guest Room

Persistent mechanical noise in room which made sleep difficult. Ceiling in bathroom had been attempted to be painted but given up half way through and bed not made properly.

Hot breakfast was good although unusual taste on the tomatoes and hash browns were deep fried making them a little greasy

• Queen Guest Room

Car parking costs £3 per night. Trying to split the bill between room cost, bar bill and car parking (for separate business receipts) seemed to create some confusion and the receptionist couldn't seem to fulfil the request.

Free cookie upon arrival was a nice touch.

• Queen Guest Room

Couldn't say many negatives for the money. Good value and an enjoyable stay.

The breakfast had a wide choice and the sausages were actual "sausages" rather than those terrible "hot dog" attempts served over the road at Travel Inn Express. Lobby and bar very open and pleasant

• Queen Guest Room

I generally get frustrated with paying for hotel parking when I am paying to stay there. It should be part of your booking / hotel fee.

breakfast was OK,

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Room service available a bit later would have been nice Parking is not free Wi-Fi is not free

The value for money! It was very good for what you pay for. Nice touch having a warm cookie on arrival, the checking in process was very quick and easy. Not intrusive at all, was a quiet room and had lots of peace and quiet except when the next doors kids were running down the hall knocking on doors but thats not the hotels fault!

• Queen Guest Room

It was really warm within the room, we tried the air con but it didn't seem to make much difference and neither did opening a window!

Warm cookies on arrival made it that little bit more personal! Breakfast also accommodated to vegetarians for the cooked section too, veggie sausages were cooked and brought to the table!

• Queen Guest Room

Ate in the restaurant in the evening and had the set buffet, which was very disappointing. The meat was dried up and only one choice of vegetables.

Very clean and comfortable room.

• Queen Guest Room

£3 car park charge. Principal of it. Not a good image in a small town like Swindon. Needs sorting out.

Everything. It is a Hilton so as expected and full marks.

• Queen Guest Room

The service at the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast was terrible, and there were only 4 other tables in for dinner at the same time - I had to ask for a glass of water 3 times and then I ended up getting it myself after the 3rd time of asking.

Location and price

• Queen Guest Room

It just didn’t strike me as anything more than a good holiday inn but nothing that stood out as bad and for business would not hesitate to stay again.

Nicely laid out quick and fresh

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Property could do with more parent and child parking bays

Lovely sofa bed step up for my 2 year old who slept through the whole night without waking up

• Deluxe Queen Room

Was told there would be slippers and robes and cookie on arrival, they were not there. Also Nespresso capules were not genuine but supermarket own brand type. Comment card in room was used by last guest and not replaced. Food very expensive

Large clean room

• Twin Hilton Guest Room

Cold tea was served at breakfast. Reception had problems finding our booking. Location isn’t anything special.

Clean, comfortable room. Great value for money. Hilton standard. Huge selection for breakfast.

• Queen Guest Room

Wifi wasn't free and neither was a night of car parking. The bed was very hard. The room was relatively clean although not perfect (e.g. desk chair was dirty, hair in the bath tub, bathroom bin was broken). The view was into a dim and grimy courtyard.

Good size room with all the facilities you'd need and a nice, modern bathroom. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Location was great.

• Queen Guest Room

There was a small issue with regards the pricing of the rooms which after a while we managed to get rectified, I booked a Queen room but the room was smaller than I expected, maybe a better description of the room and bed size so it’s easier to book the correct room,

Nice hotel, nice location, very clean,food in the hotel is if a very high standard, breakfast is good value for money.

- I liked everything!

- Staff helpful & friendly - Room size was great and big - Entrance clean and nice to hotel - Parking great, secure and cheap - Lovely stay overall, cannot fault the place

• Queen Guest Room

The air conditioning was very loud and the room we stayed in on the 4th floor was noisy throughout the night, as there were people walking on the roof smoking (I assume staff).

The room was clean and tidy and good value for money. The location is good as it’s close to the town centre, but far enough away from the hussle and bustle.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

This was a family room and the kids (8 and 11) had to share a sofa bed that was way too small - Premier Inn is better equipped for families sharing a room.

Great breakfast, friendly staff and superb value stay.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

We went for a dinner at hotel restaurant. Really slow service. Food was nice, but not what we expected for waiting so long.

The best breakfast I had. Thank you

• Queen Guest Room

As stated above. Rude man at check in and a memeber of the bar staff came up to our room an hour after we left the bar because we hadn’t signed the tab. Bar staff should keep track and ensure tabs are signed every time. I did not appreciate being woken up especially after just settling out young baby!

Warm cookies on arrival

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

room was too warm throughout the night and there was no way to adjust the heating. couldn't open the window as the noise from the trafffic (nearby Great Western Way and M4) was loud so didn't sleep well.

staff friendly and helpful without being overbearing. lovely warm cookie on arrival room (family triple) decent size. good breafast

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Having to pay for parking at reception on arrival and then a week later getting £100 parking fine. This was even though parking had been paid for. Staff uninterested. I booked this hotel for my father in law. He made numerous calls and then I finally got an email asking me to email the hotel confirmation number to them and they would cancel the fine. I then got another email to say they now needed the letter. The letter is with my father in law on the other side of the country. He has no access to a computer. I called the hotel and was basically told it was all his fault as he must have put in the wrong registration number and parking was nothing to do with them. They take money off you at reception for parking therefore as far as I can see they are responsible. I now have to get a reference number from an elderly gentleman - which knowing my father in law will not be easy!and send another email. I bet they still insist on the letter even though I have been told the ref number will be enough. Will never recommend anyone to stay here

Breakfast was okay

• Queen Guest Room

The bed was TERRIBLE. The springs were clearly broken and we only had about three hours sleep. Such a shame when everything else was brilliant. A good night's sleep is the most important of all. 😔

The staff were really helpful and friendly. Restaurant and bar area very pleasant. Breakfast excellent.

• Queen Guest Room

Uncomfortable bed and pillows. Left waiting at bar 3 times with no staff serving and no bell to get attention.

Lovely reception staff, very nice cookies at check in

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

The bathroom wasn’t as clean as I would expect, especially for a double tree. We had a dirty sink, and a dirty towel. Also, the noise from other guests on the corridor woke us up, which was frustrating.

Cookie on arrival. Breakfast

• Queen Guest Room

Leaving could have stayed longer

It was clean and comfortable. The staff were not robotic like some who work in hotels in London. They engaged in conversation. A real joy. Excellent overall break

• Queen Guest Room

the food was delivered after 1.5 hours ( room service ) and it was cold and limp. very bad quality of food as it wasnt the same as the description in the menu!!!

• King Hilton Guest Room

I have to stay here often but unfortunately, the food is awful and expensive. Unbelievable that in 2018 they are still ripping guests off with charges for wifi. Typical Hilton Hotel.

Staff are always very nice.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

I booked 2 rooms from the hotel that fit 8 people. We were 7 ( me, my wife, 4 children and my mother) When I booked the rooms I clearly stated that. I also asked for a baby cot. When we arrived the receptionist Ms Abigail spend some time explaining to me that I should've said that we were 7 people and on their paperwork there were only 4 people booked. I have an email from the hotel confirming the amount of people and my requirements. When I offered to show her the email she said that it is not a problem. She was rude and disrespectful. The rest of the staff were polite and helpful. It was just that one person that spoiled the experience.

Nice athmosfere. Good restaurant.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

The staff who checked us in. It was as if she did not want us at the facility. My greatest regret ever but unfortunately, we arrived at a time when our children were tired otherwise, we would have considered other options

Restaurant facilities and the front desk staff who checked us out

• Queen Guest Room

My flight was delayed a day, although I understand the ‘no refund’ booking I thought a compromise of a room upgrade was a not unfair request

Nice sized room, breakfast was top quality and the staff had time to speak rather than be rushing round busy all the time.

• Queen Guest Room

Pillows were not great, but I’m sure we could have asked for other ones

Really enjoyed Christmas there. The room has so much space. There are expectations at Christmas but the hotel exceeded them.

• Deluxe Queen Family Room

We ordered room service for our breakfast at 8.45, it didn't turn up until 10.35am, and that was with two reminders and complaining about how long it took. Which delayed us leaving to go on with our journey. Not impressed

Location, and the rooms are comfortable.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Couldn't sleep as people running through corridors at 3 in morning and which sounded a fan in corridor coming on and off was noisy, bar the lack of sleep which somewhat hampered are day all was fine and bed was comfy just would of been nice to of had a sound nights sleep

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Was hoping for a pool as my Granddaughter was with me. And paying to park was not expected 🙁Road works mad access a little more difficult and time consuming. Overall though it was great.

All the above.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The service in the restaurant was extremly slow, so on the other day I decided to choose the room service. However that wasn't a good experience either, because when I received my pizza all the salami was slipped down from it.

• Deluxe Queen Room

couldn't get the air con to work in the room and with two in a queen room they only offered 1 chair!!! and one kit kat in with the coffees

everything set out from continental to fruits and yoghurts to full cooked breakfast

• Junior King Suite

reserved a table for eight in the restaurant for 7.30, on arrival at restaurant told no table till 8.30. The menu was more like a bar menu, they also had a buffet. There was a large christmas party on when we were there, I am not sure if thus affected the menu. We did not eat there for evening meal, Breakfast was very good.

The junior suite was lovely, although the hotel is just off motorway you could not here any traffic noise.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

The noise from the other guests. Inconsiderate at the late hour. Banging doors and running up corridors.

The room was spacious and comfortable. Beds were very comfortable too even the sofa bed that the mother in law slept on.

• Queen Guest Room

No one told us we needed to book for the resturant. Did n't understand heating instuction in room

Husband enjoyed breakfast. Staff very nice and well informed.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Having a bill for a breakfast on the first day we arrived seeing that we did not arrive to midnight that day.

There was a good selection of things to have for breakfast.

• Queen Guest Room

Breakfast at the cost of £14.00 a head on top of the room was to say the least far to high, as we only eat a little for breakfast. we stayed for 3 night that would have been just short of £90.00 for the 2 of us. Needless to say we went across the road and paid no more that £6.00 for the 2 of us each day.

Room very clean and comfortable

• Junior King Suite

Parking- it was busy. A black tie event was on. No swimming pool anymore.

Comfy beds. Spacious suite. Powerful shower. Great choice of items at breakfast. Free cookie!

• Queen Guest Room

Sadly the bed was very uncomfortable, and prevented us having a good night sleep. The hotel is rather dated and for a similar price you could stay in a more modern hotel near by.

The staff were friendly and always willing to help, the room was clean and a reasonable size. The location of the hotel was just off the motorway which gave you plenty of options for days out.

• Queen Guest Room

No free WiFi, breakfast was very expensive and the meal I ordered through room service was disappointing. And there was no free car parking.

Location, staff and the room were all excellent.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

Excellent location, close to the motorway but none of the noise. Fantastic breakfast and activity packs for the children. Warm cookies on arrival we’re a lovely bonus.

• Family Guest Room with Queen Bed

The room was uncomfortably hot, when reported as man came and said the 'A/C' was blowing cold, however it certainly was not. It was warm and got warmer throughout the night to the point where I had to prop the door open and open the window to try and draw a breeze through. The air con simply didn't work. It was just warm/ hot air. My wife & I along with our children did not sleep well for any of the three nights. Woke up groggy with sore throats etc. They didn't have anothe family room we could move into. We asked for fans which helped a little bit mainly just blew the hot air around. The shower fell apart on the first night, we were out early the next day but reported it on our return, however, this was too late to report an issue as there were no maintenance people in the evening. It was fixed the following (final) full day. Overall it was an unpleasant, uncomfortable stay which Inhioe to never experience again. I have stayed in many hotels and I'm in the Army so have slept in some shocking places so I have the experience to say that this was not pleasant. For a Hilton hotel it's a terrible experience.

I'm struggling