Reviews of Hogs Head Hotel

Awsworth Lane, Main Street, Awsworth., Nottingham, NG16 2RN, United Kingdom

#1 of 38 hotels in Nottingham

Very comfortable room, modern bathroom features (waterfall...

No air con which made sleeping in heat very difficult. Bar does not offer VAT receipts for food and wasnt made aware until after it was paid for on the first night (was travelling for work which means VAT receipts detailing each item on purchase is needed for company card expenses).

Very comfortable room, modern bathroom features (waterfall taps and ceiling shower head), plenty of space, beautiful grounds and nice food. Friendly staff and loved being able to come back to the hotel from work and be greeted by George the springer spaniel 🙂

The location is lovely away from madding crowd, staff are...

Postcode on sat nav not really near

The location is lovely away from madding crowd, staff are really friendly, place is very clean and the pub/restaurant really nice and all very good value, nice to find.

a lot of parking space right in front of the hotel,...

My sat nav brought me to a wrong place, allthough the address was right. It was very confusing. Do not follow your sat-nav for this hotel. Have a look on the website where it is located and wich route you should ride.

a lot of parking space right in front of the hotel, restaurant and rooms are close to each other. Once you arrived you are quickly settled.

Ideal overnight stop when visiting Nottingham

It offered great value for money including the price of meals and drinks in the bar. The room was great with a nice modern bathroom, breakfast was nice.

An enjoyable overnight stay.

There was nothing to dislike about our stay.

A comfortable room, lovely garden to sit in and breakfast plentiful. Pleasant and helpful staff. Value for money.

The food was excellent and great breakfast

Room number '0'?made me think it was an overspill room, as it overlooked crates, digger, skips, awful view. Very noisy road noise, but advertised as quiet. No biscuits in room. This was a mid priced room £66, not budget ie £40 ,so disappointing, although room was clean.

The food was excellent and great breakfast

On balance very good value for money!

Whilst the room and bathroom was clean - the toilet, I think, was overlooked by whoever was on-duty. The sink and shower was noticeably cleaner and had been wiped over.

I did not see any croissants. In your written message you erroneously stated that breakfast was between 08:30 and 09:30 whilst, in your guest folder it stated 07:30 to 09;30. Consequently, I missed one of the two breakfasts. The breakfast I did have (at 07:30), however, was excellent.

Lovely old english hotel

Room no so good, no room for suitcases but that is now common. access to room through bar the kitchen dining etc. Far from Nottingham

Great food at good prices, great breakfast, nice staff, bathroom in room very nice and good shower

An excellent place to stay.

An excellent small hotel serving really good food at reasonable prices. Just a bit niggled by the toilet seat which has to be held up ... Gentlemen lift the seat, remember?

The location was ideal for our visit, the staff were very...

The only negative thing was the desserts, not sure what flour was being used but the sponges were very ‘bready’ and doughy, not sponge like at all.

The location was ideal for our visit, the staff were very helpful and friendly most of the food was very good. We had evening dinner and breakfast

Excellent value in a secluded rural part of Nottingham

The staff were all exceedingly friendly and the room was very good value for money. It was also a pleasant surprise to see that the venue hosted and looked after a number of our Armed Forces Veterans.

the shower was beautiful and very clean and spotless, the...

seating out side could do with a tidy up but that's not a problem as your sat in the sun.

the shower was beautiful and very clean and spotless, the room was also clean and tidy, it was all stunning and beautiful.

great place and will be back when we are back that way

not enough signage to get there thought we were lost at first

very pleasant atmosphere the staff so very helpful and cheery the food is fantastic and a good selection of beers and wines the room was very comfy and clean we did not have to wait for food a very good all rounder mine host very welcoming

Excellent as ever......just gets better everytime!!....well done Annette & Andy (the old groundsman)

Luckily the old groundsman/maintenance person is not allowed inside the premises, except under supervision of others, as he can be a little grumpy.....................

Great food choices, very good breakfasts, staff all welcoming, polite & very helpful, really nice rooms, decorated tastefully & spotlessly clean

The hosts were very friendly, including their dog.

The hosts were very friendly, including their dog. The breakfast was delicious and we were well catered for with our vegan preferences. Our hosts had been out and bought thing especially for us. Our room was comfortable and the shower hot with an added bonus of a towel warmer.

A fair but not outstanding stay

weak shower and staff a little thin on the ground at breakfast/checkout. one poor woman appeared to be doing everything - bless her.

fairly easy t locate, food and room was satisfactory

Really nice and value for money

A proper bed in the room

The room was a little cramped with the bed very low to the floor, having said that the staff were really lovely and the food excellent for money.

Excellent value for money.

Have no complaints.

The cost was very satisfying, didn’t expect much to be honest but was pleasantly surprised. The food is very reasonable and good choice.

Best ever value for money. Friendly, clean and fantastic food.

There was nothing we did not like.

Friendliest, most helpfull staff. Nothing too much trouble. Maddie and her colleagues were great and made our stay even more enjoyable. Food fantastic and the most comfortable bed ever. Will definately be back.

Not The Best Hotel Experience I Have Had

After opening the reception entrance door we entered a room but was devoid of staff. After sitting on the couch for 5 minutes and wondering what happened next, I decided to phone the number on my booking printout. The phone rang for ages before being picked up and shortly after a young girl came to see us. She asked us to follow her but she rushed off and ended up leaving us quite a way behind. She showed us our room without any other advice whatsoever. I asked her which door would be open at night as we were going to be attending our friend's 60th anniversary party. She said she would go to find out then come back to tell us. She never returned. Upon returning to the hotel at around midnight we entered the open reception room door only to find that all doors leading from it were locked. I phoned again but no answer. It was left to us to literally walk around the perimeter of the hotel until we found a door open at the back (not ideal if it had been raining). We ended up phoning our friends at one point to tell them not to go to bed yet as we couldn't get in the hotel. The worry of not knowing if you can gain access to a room you paid for is not a nice experience. We should have been told the correct procedure upon our arrival. No details were taken at all on arrival and when we left we couldn't find anyone to inform them we were leaving so I just hung my key next to some other keys (not even knowing if it was the correct place and to be honest I didn't care either). As for the breakfast, I have never had fried bread that had only been fried on one side and then covered in beans and egg so that it ended up being soggy. The egg wasn't fried properly (how can you not fry an egg?) The waitress however was more than helpful and very polite. I suggest the hotel produce a map showing how to move around once inside and include it with a welcome sheet or better still, have copies of it laying around in reception.

Friendly staff, good food, superb room.

Beautiful room. My journey took longer than expected and the hotel called me to let me know when the restaurant closed so that I wouldn't miss supper.

brilliant

very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. food was absolutely lovely and plenty of it. very nice room with a bath (bonus points from me). would absolutely come back again.

Never again

Bar closed at 10.30 on a saturday made to huury out on sunday as they were busy doing sunday lunches and told not to sit in bar as they had hooverd

Food and rooms

Great location, friendly staff, clean room

Came back to the pub on the Saturday evening for a few drinks at 9.15pm, pub was shut thought it was a bit strange

Friendly staff, clean room, nice breakfast

Excellent pub and attached restaurant with reasonable prices - definitely recommend

Towels were a little hard

A very friendly hotel just right for our weekend break. Immaculately clean. Superb value with an incredible breakfast - huge variety of food

A great place to base yourself if visiting Nottingham. A quiet location away from the hustle and bus

The bathroom could have done with an update and the water pressure in the shower was weak but it's not a complaint.

Food in the bar and at breakfast was very good, breakfast was served with a smile which was meant!

Met my needs and fed me well

Room and bathroom compact but OK for an overnight. Watch out using A610 getting back onto M1 in morning - traffic queues!

Plenty of great value food, lots of breakfast choice. Nice and clean. Quiet location over night.

Very nice food and good value for money

The shower didn't work properly and very weak water pressure. Very confusing reception, had to walk through busy restaurant with my bags which was a bit uncomfortable.

Very nice food and good value for money

Good value for money

Breakfast was a full of oil when cooked, don't use postcode, takes you to the wrong address (in my Sat Nav)

Great hotel, very welcoming. Don't expect the Ritz

The best stay I have had in many years and many hotels. Thanks

I left my apple in my room!!

From the moment I arrived until I left the experience was first class. Lovely staff,comfortable room and excellent well-priced quality food. Smashing dog to!

Amazing Hotel and Staff

Staff are fantastic and the rooms really modern and comfortable. This is always my preferred choice of hotel when visiting Nottingham as I have now stayed here a few times now. I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough to anyone looking to visit

Great value for money with a personal service :)

Teacups in room are too small, mugs would be better. Only gin at the bar was Gordon's which is rubbish! No jam or honey at breakfast.

Friendly helpful welcome when arrived early. Beautiful steak & great (homemade) chips for my dinner. Friendly staff. Great prices. Very comfortable bed and refreshing decor. Spacious en-suite with a good shower.

Nice Pub

Although the description is 'hotel' it is actually a pub with rooms. The room was very small but comfy. Assistance with my luggage would have been appreciated rather than just opening doors and waiting for me to struggle through with 3 bags. There was no room service and the 'complimentary' bathroom products - sorry 'product' was laughable (see photo).

Comfy bed and good location (although confusing to find). Food in the pub was good.

Good value, comfortable and clean.

We had problems getting hot water through the tap despite running it for some considerable time.

The friendliness of the staff, the breakfast and the facilities offered

It gets a little better with every visit so there isn't...

It gets a little better with every visit so there isn't much room for any further improvement: secluded premises despite being so close to the motorway, great accommodation, evening meals available, generous breakfasts and friendly staff - it can't get any better, surely!

Very comfy beds, excellent staff would go again.

Only bad point was the fire exit door in my room had a green glow above it from the sign all night

Very friendly staff. Suprisingly quiet considering how close to the road it was.

Reasonable hotel but not very pet friendly

I booked it because it was dog friendly but I did not really meet this expectation. I always write in the comments that I am bringing a dog. When I arrived this seems to pose a concern. I did show my booking form with my statement. I was shown to my room and I asked if I could take the dog into the bar area while I ate a meal. Dogs were not allowed in the bar. So I then asked if I could have my meal in the room. This seemed to cause a little concern but I was allowed to take my meal in my room. So the upshot of this weekend seems to be that it is a dog friendly hotel as long as you do not bring a dog

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was typical dishes and well cooked. It was easy to get to from the M1

Perfect cheaper alternative with excellent staff

Came here as a cheaper alternative to stay for a local conference, staff were extremely polite and helpful and was welcomed warmly, price included a cooked breakfast which was amply provided Rooms were comfortable and well worth the rate paid, overall an excellent stay and I would certainly stay again

Very friendly and accommodating staff booked a taxi for me...

Very friendly and accommodating staff booked a taxi for me and also brought forward an early cooked breakfast as I had to leave by 0900 on the Sunday.

perfect

Always good food friendly staff and a good quiet nights sleep. This was my 5th stay on business in Nottingham and still nothing negative at the Hogs Head.

Warm, quiet hotel with excellent good value restaurant with wide choice

Everything was great.

Excellent and extremely good value restuarant with lots of choice and all delicious and home cooked. Room comfortable, warm and quiet with all necessary facilities. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Just what I needed, close to where I needed to be, clean and friendly with all facilities.

Not easy to find in the dark - you need to go right to the bottom of the hill where a new road embankment blocks the once through road. A lane off to the left partly hidden by a hedge is the way in. The local council apparently won't let them put up a sign.

Spotlessly clean and comfortable room, friendly staff and good food - mind out, BIG portions!

excellent value

not a problem for me but there were no toiletries provided and the hotel is a bit of a maze!

Hotel took a bit of finding as it is hidden at the bottom of a lane but worth the effort. Staff were helpful, room was nicely decorated and very clean. Meals were huge, tasty and very reasonably priced.

Very nice room, newly furnished, spacious bathroom, great...

We had a fire exit sign with the light behind over our door which was on all night long - a bonus if you need to find your way into the bathroom, but if you are a light sleeper who needs complete darkness probably not the best idea.

Very nice room, newly furnished, spacious bathroom, great breakfast! Would not choose unless coming with the car.

Friendly and cheerful.

The shower was a little too hot to stand under. The carpet in the bedroom would have benefited from a shampoo.

The bed was actually very comfortable and the whole hotel was nice and warm.

One word: Top!

Can't think of anything actually.

Very good meals, not like ordinary pubmeals but freshly made with regional products. Very friendly staff and owners who are genuainly interested in their guests.

Top value for money

No real cask ales..

The best value for money. The room was an adequate size, very clean and comfortable. The pub grub was well worth the money, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

We'll definitely be returning

The bed was a little too firm for me

The staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel is set in a gorgeous location with easy access to local shops and amenities. Our room was very clean and the en suite had a lovely big shower, again spotlessly clean

We liked the service, the food and the general helpfulness...

We think all at Hotel were excellent. What more can we say.

We liked the service, the food and the general helpfulness of all the staff. Our room was compact,clean and just what we required. Well done HOGS HEAD and thank you all.

At he room was warm and comfortable, bed also comfortable.

Two chairs in room, rather than just one at the mirror.

At he room was warm and comfortable, bed also comfortable. Plenty of choice with the breakfast. Quiet location, but near the main routes, so very convenient.

excellent

the room was very comfortable and clean, with a very modern bathroom, breakfast very good, had a evening meal on arrival excellent choice, staff friendly and helpful. We were going to a wedding and had an early start, so the staff opened the breakfast early and also gave us directions to the church.

We liked the location.

The only thing I can say is that the breakfast needs to be hotter,

We liked the location. Easy to find and the rooms were very clean staff very friendly and helpful.

Nothing particularly flashy - but they do the basics very well indeed.

It would help me personally if breakfast was served from 7.00 - rather than 7.30 - makes it a a bit of a hurry to get to my work destination.

There are some strange B&Bs indeed in the Nottingham Area - the Hogs Head isn't one of them. A pub/restaurant with several rooms all with en-suite facilities, all clean and tidy, and a decent size. Free Wifi is effortless and never drops. Food in the restaurant is affordable and good quality without being especially extravagant. The breakfasts are phenomenal - I defy you to eat all of it and still be hungry enough for lunch.

A excellent stay, better than expected

Couldn't get the heating working, but luckily it wasn't too cold

The room was excellent - bathroom was great. Breakfast was all locally sourced and tasted wonderful. They tailored it to whatever you wanted

It served our purpose for one night.

The room was clean and tidy but very small and cramped and the folding screen/door with big gap at bottom to very small bathroom does little for modesty. To allow shower steam to escape have to open window which opens from bottom directly to car park. Not very discreet.

Reception was cheery and helpful, very welcoming on arrival. Well cooked and presented breakfast, fast service with cheery, polite and helpful staff.

Overnight stop on the M1

There was nothing wrong that I noticed.

The property was well maintained, clean and functional. Although outside the village, there seemed to be many locals drinking and eating in the spacious bar. The food was good, well cooked and the sort of stuff my mother used to make- I had fish and chips. I used it to break a journey along the M1 and it was much better than any service station motel that I have stayed in, and only two miles from the nearest M1 junction.

excellent aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

thee was nothing to dislike and would go there again as we have stayed there several times and would not go anywhere else.

the hotel was extremely clean and such friendly staff and the food was brilliant.

Loved the food,but would stay elsewhere and come back for the food

The small room and the fact you could hear everything what was going on in the next room at one point I thought the other guest was in my room. We heard his conversation about his tomatoes in his fridge had to be eaten, we could also hear the replies from the other person. We heard every time he got in and out of the bathtub, which woke us up both nights. When he took his bath at 1.00am

The food was excellent and the staff were friendly

Well Worth a Visit

Was not aware of any lift or ground floor accommodation for people with mobility issues,the food was nice, though the menu was extensive felt that it needed updating

we were made very welcome the room was nice and the bathroom excellent,the Hotel itself is in nice surroundings and is a very popular eating place in the evenings,Very supportive of Armed Forces Veterans with discounts available with proof of service.

Back again

The restaurant in the hotel/pub is very good. There is a big selection of meals and snacks at very reasonable prices. It is home-cooked food, good portions and nice staff. I left my shirt there and I am waiting for outcome but I think it will be ok. The staff are very friendly. We have stayed there 3 times and haven't been disappointed. Would definitely recommend the Hogs Head.

Great place to stay if you have plans in the area

Shower was not very good - very low pressure so water practically dribbled out, and temperature was either scolding hot or freezing cold! Hotel was a little out of the way - ok if you have plans in the area but definitely best to have a car if staying here as quite far from everything!

Staff were friendly and super helpful, even helping us out when we left our room key in our car at a wedding! Rooms were very comfortable and very clean. Fantastic breakfast included.

Comfortable, quiet hotel, away from the main road.

No hooks behind doors to hang coats up. A small wardrobe would be handy for longer than an overnight stay.

Very quiet hotel accommodation. Good size room, en suite very clean and fresh. Pleasant decor. Comfortable bed. Light and airy room. Good food at reasonable prices.

Not for us

Right below us there were fans going in the cellar We felt we were on a boat with the permanent drum of the engine.Started first thing in the morning until late.

Great Service and Great value for money

The mattress was a little soft for my liking, but would be fine for somebody else.

Staff were very friendly and helpful from the minute we arrived. Food was plentiful and very good value for money.

Country Pub / Hotel with a that modern tweek

It was the end of the week and I really wanted a bath, sadly there wasn't one but given the space available I can understand why.

Set in a country pub down an old road so away from the crowds.

Great small hotel

Perfect small hotel. From the first greeting to the final goodbye, the staff were friendly and helpful - and I won a couple of pints in the pub quiz :)

recommend staying here

fire exit light very bright in room, so much so we had to cover it to get to sleep. A bit difficult to find at the end of an industrial estate, more signage needed.

Fanatastic food and staff

Hidden Gem

We came here for our wedding reception and the food Andy laid out for us was amazing. I couldn't have wished for anything better. The grounds are lovely, plenty of parking and lovely staff.

Friendly & welcoming

Very friendly, room clean & comfortable. Great food, evening meal & breakfast wholesome and traditional. Will definitely stay again when in the area.

Excellent value for money and lovely staff

The only negative I had was that it was very warm and even with the fan on, it was too warm. However, for the price you couldn't expect air conditioning.

Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. Lovely furnished room.

Hard to beat.

Everything was good.

Nice clean room, good food in the restaurant on site, excellent breakfast, the best we've had anywhere! Friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended.

soon as you walked in friendly welcome good atmosphere, room...

soon as you walked in friendly welcome good atmosphere, room clean and comfortable, good choice of freshly cooked food, if your in Nottingham area looking to stay for a night or two head for the Hogs Head. Excellent value A++++++++++ O beers not bad either

Wonderful hidden gem

Wonderful hotel! The beds were so comfy and the rooms were lovely and clean. All staff were so friendly and made us very welcome. There was an extra special member of staff George the beautiful spaniel. Really lovely stay would highly recommend and we will stay again!

Nice clean room.

Cost but that was due to the download festival in the area. All other hotels were higher priced for this weekend too. Bar was very dated but clean

Nice clean room. Looks recently refurbished

Excellent accommodation a bit off beaten track but we'll worth a visit.

Nothing springs to mind. Hi

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the accommodation was clean and comfortable. They also kept you supplied with tea and coffee.