Reviews of Astor York

124 Holgate Road, York, YO24 4BB, United Kingdom

#29 of 46 hotels in York

Based on 507 hostel reviews

• Economy Quadruple Room

Room was small in size. They don't serve food other than breakfast.

Good location - 15 minutes walk to the walled city. Friendly staff - specially Louise - she went out of the way to help us in every way possible. Breakfast was good, adequate parking was available. Beds were comfortable. The decor in the lounge was very nice.

• Economy Quadruple Room

Room was too hot, even with window wide open. Television not placed in an area where we could all watch it comfortably. Only 1 chair in the room despite there being 4 of us .

No chair to sit on in my room. You have to sit on the end of the bed to watch the Tv as people have clearly done berore as that part of the mattress is slightly sunk. Wi fi doesn't reach room 34!

Very friendly staff and I loved some of its period interior. Fantastic lounge.

• Economy Quadruple Room

A great hotel close to York station and all the city sights. Very comfortable. I was impressed with how clean it was, even with building work going on. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The quadruple room was perfect for our family trip. Would definitely recommend.

Property was in need of revamping. Very tired decor in places.

Staff were very accommodating. A tasty breakfast with lots of choice. Easy access into York.

• Economy Quadruple Room

They had forgotten to put towels out, and they weren't clear about whether there was breakfast included which lead to a couple of trips down to reception. Also, the WiFi didn't work in our room.

Lovely friendly staff, and the hotel had a nice feel to it. The room was very clean and was exactly what we expected it to be.

cannot really think anything i did not like about this place

the hotel met all our needs ideal location to get in and of town. A good breakfast every morning. and a good size room for the price we pay excellent.

We're do I start !!! Had to ask to change the room, as our room for a two night stay cost us £230. Which really upset my wife as she booked this for my birthday and our 1 year Wedding Anniversary suprise. To be upset with how much she paid and the utter disappointment!! The room we was originally in was Room 5, the decor was just basic and it was just a small box double room. Not worth the money at all !!!! The TV didn't work, and the toilet didn't flush after use and then even though the door handle are key cards entry only the door could not be locked via the inside. I work for the company who make them. And they lock with ease but for some reason they have taken the lack off so it cannot be locked via the inside. So I went to reception with my wife and explained to the guy who was on the desk. Highlighted all the problem and said the way I feel I want to check out as this was appoling. I said I want to change room and I don't want to stop in that room. No apology what so ever he was like ye you can move to room 17. No help nothing with the bags or to look what the problems were to see if he could resolve them he just sat on his arse without a care in the world. So we went to room 17 slightly abit more presentable. Decor was still dated furniture worn out, the hair dryer in the room.was probably as old as me, but we decided anything was better than the last room. But still problems, Yet again the door could not be locked via the inside. The shower literally once on leaked all over the place as no shower curtains causing slip hazards when stepped out. Cob webs handing all of the celling the lamp shades full of dust. And to top it off when you have a shower the blind could not be adjusted anymore so if someone was outside they would see all your bits via the window. I've attached picture of the blind. But me and my wife decided to just see it out as only there for two days. But I was ready to blow my top.

Nice features outside, free car park, walking distance to York, breakfast was ok nothing amazing if anything I wasn't really a fan of it. Whereas in other reviews people talk about how nice it was etc 🤔

Quite expensive for one night.

Staff were very pleasant. Room was large and bright - super bathroom - good tea and coffee facilities - toiletries always a bonus. Bed very comfy. Great that we could park. Fantastic it was so near all the attractions of York.

There was a strange humming/buzzing sound on the top floor that continued all night.

The Hotel Staff were lovely and the hotel (B&B) while tired, was good for a long weekend of sight seeing. Hotel is in the middle of refurbishment, but this didn't disturb my stay.

• Economy Quadruple Room

Family room only one chair to sit on, not many plug sockets and TV in a bad position. Not all beds could see the tv. WiFi didn't work in the rooms. Rooms dirty. We had to sleep on bunk beds and the gap between the wall and the beds were not safe for my 5 year old.

Staff were brilliant and breakfast great. Towels were were soft and large. Lovely lounge and bar.

Very friendly staffand conveniently situated for the train station and walking into the city although there is a bus stop right outside. The breakfast was excellent. My room was a single room but plenty big enough and comfortable. However I did move to a double as there were plumbers working in the hotel and they needed access in the room . This was not a problem at all.

• Economy Quadruple Room

Staff were brilliant! Everyone was very friendly. The room was clean and great value for money. It was near to the city centre and the parking was free.

Room very tired and we were informed that this was because it was all being converted to a Hostel, 4+ bunks per room, no breakfasts or evening meals, bedside lights and bathroom mirror light/razor socket did not work. Our previous visit and stay had been very enjoyable in every respect and we were very disappointed - the price per night did not reflect the value we had expected from our previous visit

Position relative to City centre, friendly and helpful staff

I asked for an iron and ironing board but was told that they didn't have a board, only an iron. I had to then iron my shirts on the bed which was very inconvenient. The windows in the single room were single glazed and so I could hear the road noise. The shower gel was in a very small bottle that was barely adequate for taking a shower. Lastly breakfast doesn't begin until 8am which is later than most places and when you are travelling on business isn't conducive to getting to an office or meeting at an acceptable time. Even starting breakfast at 0730 would be a lot better.

Dreadfully dated decor! Poor shower water pressure. Awful hairdryer.

Friendly staff. Good breakfast. Clean. Hot chocolate in room. Good Location. Quiet

• Economy Quadruple Room

The room we stayed in didn't have any furniture other than beds, not even a chair. The lighting in the room and bathroom was poor, and the power sockets were not convenient to the beds . We expected more from a hotel, we wanted to socialise in our room but that doesn't work well when you are all lying on bunk beds. It felt like a hostel room but without the communal element that hostels have

The breakfast was good and the parking was free

• Economy Quadruple Room

The room was expensive but did not have TV, Desk, drawer or any other comfort facility. Location is also good.

The breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly and nice

The hotel is very faded and badly needs refurbishing. Our room was tiny, stuffy and, worst of all, the bed was really uncomfortable - but we paid over £93 for it... It was my first visit to York, and the hotel was a real disappointment.

The staff were lovely and we enjoyed our breakfast in the grand dining room. Not in a bad location with an easy 20 minute walk into town. or get one of the frequent buses which stop outside.

Just being picky but would have liked a full English breakfast on the menu as even though the menu stated this it wasn’t ‘the works’.

We were very impressed with this hotel, especially as our room had a four-poster bed which we weren’t expecting. Our room was lovely and very spacious.

• Economy Quadruple Room

For the price we paid there is nothing to complain about ......we have paid more elsewhere and got a lot less

The staff all great nothing to much trouble .... We had multi room with bunk beds and all seven of us (we had two rooms) slept well .... Great to have a communal lounge ,we had drinks from the bar and an enjoyable evening playing cards. Breakfast was very good

The narrow suitcase up to the single rooms on the second floor could be daunting for those with lots of luggage. The layout of the furniture in my room wasn't ideal (desk on one side of the bed - power points for laptop etc on the opposite side !) And, as in many hotels, it was a challenge getting water into the kettle from the tap in the tiny wash basin. But, hey, at least there was a kettle - and tea, proper coffee and biscuits - in the room! Overall, I loved it!

A clean and comfortable small hotel with a lovely feel to it. The "chintzy" decor might be a little old-fashioned for some but my French friend loved the "typically" English ambiance. The staff were always extremely polite and an attractively presented sandwich lunch in the bar on arrival and the freshly-cooked breakfasts were particularly appreciated!

Nothing at all, just what we wanted.

Ten minutes walk to the city when we knew where we were going. Staff were very helpful and happy to be doing their job and couldn't do enough to try and help. We stayed in room 3 which was a four poster which was received by my partner with much delight .clean warm and quaint.

the rooms also no lift and were pensioners having to take case's up 3 lots of states no help

not a lot it was a good walk into town were it say not to far .there was no one on reception and when there was thay did not understand whot your saying

The breakfast was a bit greasy and the black pudding was not hot enough.

Easy to use public transport to York centre and back and the free car parking which was a little tight.

Shower gel in sachets and hard to open. I could hear someone being drunkenly sick - as if he was in the room with me! Not nice. The breakfast was swimming in fat and fried bread inedible.

Coffee facilities in the room but no herbal tea. I had a lovely welcome and hospitality on arriving. My wall up lighters weren’t working but the night reception staff came up to fix it straightaway and put a remedial solution in place. Shower was good.

Wi-Fi in the room would have been nice however you could receive Wi-Fi down stairs. This is not a complaint just an observation.

The staff were very friendly and informative. Room very comfortable and clean, great shower. The breakfast was very good. overall had a lovely weekend. thank you to all the staff.

Cockroach ! Bright light outside window and thin curtains. Generally the hotel is a bit tired but ok.

Position, car park, nice relaxing lounge, pleasant helpful staff.

Room was so small couldn't move past the beds. Bathroom shower was very small, no room to move. Small bags to carry up stairs no lift.

Breakfast was wonderful, staff member very efficient.

Wasn't told about wifi code.bus route. maps.etc.on arrival( only about breakfast time).no menu in room to view only on table at breakfast.

Breakfast was cooked to perfection. Service in dinning room was very good.staff were friendly.

We stayed in room number 1 which was near the kitchen, main toilets and bathroom, at breakfast time it became noisy so we didn't have an option of a lie in.

The charm of the hotel linked in with the age if the property

Friendly helpful staff - nothing too much trouble. Very comfy rooms and beds. Great location, just a short walk into York. Will definitely be coming back.

Bed was on the lumpy side , maybe time for a new mattress . Cleaner came into room before we vacated it , i was on the toilet at the time so very embarrassing , needs to check key handed in before entering rooms .

Staff were friendly and helpfull Room was clean and warm . onsite parking is a boon in York

See above. Realise windows/ condensation is a problem for old buildings and single glazed sash windows but it was literally running down all the panes.

Breakfast and staff were very good. The bedroom was small but ok , but the condensation on the windows was awful. The quilts were too thick and heavy ... too hot on, but not warm enough with half covering. But generally clean ....staff were helpful and polite. Would stay again but would ask for another room ( not number 5) to be fair to the hotel.

Everything was very good. No cause for complaint.

Excellent location with bus stop outside font door. Room was comfortable, clean and warm. Excellent breakfast and staff were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. On my final day I had an early train so would have missed breakfast - they made me a picnic to eat on the train.

Freezing cold room no heating just extra small old style radiator . Bathroom was ok but shower could really do with replacing as this was the worst shower I’ve ever had while staying in accommodation. Staff we’rnt very accommodating when told of these issues .

Location , walking distance into town .

Bed lovely just had a issue with hot water had to ring twice as no hot water got it sorted both times but there is a problem there otherwise wouldn't of had to ring twitch hotel perfect just hot water issue

Car Parking may put some people off, it's not a problem though, as long as you appreciate the fact you are staying put; as there is a good chance of being blocked in for a couple of hours by another guest.

We found the hotel ideal for a three day stay walking around York. The hotel is a short walk from the 'Micklegate' side of the City, go over the bridge and you were in the centre. On the trip we had arranged to meet up with family, so on day two, we visited the 'Jorvik' centre and the 'Roman Baths' to kill time, that particular day, both were very interesting. The rest of the sights, the Minster we took in and due to excessive rain we decided to call it a day, rather than walk around the city walls. We returned to the hotel where they have a really comfortable lounge area, Chesterton leather settee, armchairs, etc., where we past the time of day playing cards and surfing the net, before going out for our evening meal. Would definitely use the hotel again, rooms good, breakfast menu ideal and the staff were genuinely friendly.

Everything was great we had no problems during stay

The hotel was lovely and cosy, The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. The location was great and the breakfast was really good.

Breakfast was served late (8am), but a tray of cold food was available but I declined. I had to be away by 7am

The room , although small had everything I needed.

The woman I'm assuming was the manager/owner was very abrupt. I was asked to leave the breakfast room, we were asked if we were leaving on the second day we were there, when we were leaving it was the only time she smiled at us and was friendly. We won't be going back I felt very uncomfortable especially as I saw her being nice to other guests.

The staff were really helpful. Good breakfast. No WiFi. Room was basic and too small.

Is a bit dated some parts could do with a refurb thought bit pricey

Good breakfast beds comfy staff very good and helpful Everywhere clean and tidy free car parking not to from centre

We only got bath towels no hand towels so one of the bath towels had to be used was few cobwebs on ceiling other than that we would book again

Very good value for the money breakfast was very nice staff was really nice to

Shocked to be told on arrival that they had not received payment. We refused to pay again and thankfully the matter was somehow resolved next day. Having told booking.com that we would like some evening meals, we were surprised to be told these could only be provided at advanced notice. For this reason Holgate Hill was for us more a Bed and Breakfast than a hotel.

Bed and breakfast adequate premises clean but tired

The rooms on the small size and has normal for me never enough milk for the coffee

Lovely hotel, friendly staff, excellent location, would definitely stop here again 😁

Only that it could have been a little nearer the city and station for me but there is a bus stop just outside the hotel carpark which is in front of the hotel

I especially enjoyed the friendliness of the staff

As above usb charge

Loved the old house features. No faults at all although having forgotten my phone adaptor it would be a good idea to provide a built in usb charger on The plug socket The lady however let me borrow one so no complaints. Would be happy to return another time to the hotel.

Our room was the size of a shoe box, with several plumbing problems. The hotel had difficult stairs to negotiate, with no lift. Don't bring big suitcases here! The hotel felt faded & in need of a fresh renovation.

Friendly & helpful staff. Good breakfast.

I did not realise there was no lift in the hotel, my own fault really for not checking the description properly.

Excellent hotel very close to the train station, staff was always helpful.

Wi-fi did not work in room 15 so I had to go down to the lounge. Parking is a bit of a issue as you have to double park. Sadly the bed in room 15 is very uncomfortable as it dips in the middle it needs to be replaced and on our visit the toilet broke and there was no available room for the first night so we had to flush using a bucket, however on the following night we had a key to another room if needed. The owner was very prompt to try and rectify the problem but a plumber could not visit until the Monday the day of us leaving. My issue was there was no form of compensation by that I mean either a free night or a free drink for example. When you are paying good money you expect some kind of apology especially as we had already paid otherwise I could have argued over what too pay?.

The location was very good. The staff were all very friendly and breakfast was good.

If I had weighed 10 more pounds I couldn't have turned around in the shower. The room was overly warm, and when the window was open, it was noisy. Very small room.

The room was charming but very small. Staff were helpful. Bus was very handy to get into York.

Room a bit small. Wifi only available in public areas. Should be available in all rooms.

Hearty breakfast each morning. Very friendly and helpful staff

The room was in need of decoration and was tired looking. The facilities were poor .. no hot water or water pressure to shower It wasn't advertised that they did not do evening meals ... this would have been nice to know.. no draught beer/lager in bar and bottles were warm

The breakfast was good value for money

Nothing comes to mind. We've stayed here several times before and have always been happy with our visit.

The staff were very accommodating as we were taking part in the York 10k and an early breakfast was provided. This was the full breakfast range for anyone who wanted it, not just a token effort. Well done!

Our room was on the front of the property and there was an orange security light right outside of the window and no blackout curtains so the room was illuminated all night

Free parking and ideally situated for walking into the city

Only a minor issue, WiFi was available but not in my room.

Great breakfast, lots of choice both for the continental and hot sections. Friendly and helpful staff. A very nice and comfy lounge area to sit quietly. If you like walking the location is great, only 10 minutes and you are up on the wall, then another 10 minutes and you are right into the middle of the city. Walking via the wall was quick and kept you out of the traffic.

Our room was down a staircase which was difficult for Mum to climb, however the hotel did give us a key so that we could walk up the lane adjacent to the hotel and in through the front door as an alternative. The internet was sketchy and only accessible from the lounge although this was a comfortable spot to connect and talk to family back home.

The room was very comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. Access to the city of York was good with a bus available directly outside the door. There were plenty of eating establishments within a short drive or walk from the hotel and the breakfasts were exceptional :)

I have no complaints. Loved it here.

Great location, friendly staff, comfortable room the breakfast was amazing loads of choice cereals, fruit, croissant and a freshly cooked breakfast.

My bedside lamp was not working.

This was a return visit. I like the convenient location coming into the city from A59 and it has parking. There's street parking if their spaces are full. Its a comfortable walk into the centre either on the main road or across the railway to the railway museum and station. Less than a mile. This is not a boutique design experience but it is a comfortable small hotel and staff are friendly and helpful. That's what I like. And they do a good breakfast with decent coffee.

Just the wifi wasn't that good

Everything was excellent the owner was so nice she told us all we needed to now hol gate hill hotel is lovely I would stay there again breakfast was amazing too

There is nothing really to say what I disliked.

So much choice for breakfast. If you had a full English Breakfast you did not have to wait to long for it to be served. Toast & Tea as much as you wanted. The Owner & Staff was so friendly and helpful it was like we been friends for a long time instead of just meeting them. We would recommend this Hotel to our friends.

If you're unlucky you end up in the cellar (rooms 1, 1A, and 2) in a small room on ground level of a side street from that people can look in your room, without internet. Wifi is only available in public places. Not in the rooms. I wonder what problems it made to shield the rooms against the network.

The inner city attracions are available after a 15 minute walk. Breakfast is standart.

Bed was very uncomfortable, had to sleep on top of the duvet to make it a bit more comfortable.

Location was good, about 10 minute walk from the station and there was a bus stop right outside. Very tasty breakfast and the breakfast room was lovely.

Nothing at all everything was ok

Very well looked after nothing too much trouble very friendly and helpful landlady and staff. Lovely old property lots of character very fitting for york

The WiFi signal didn't quite reach to our room.

Very pleasant stay -- staff were friendly and helpful with recommendations on what to see and where to eat, the breakfast was great, rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel is a short walk from the railway station (perhaps 10 minutes), and about the same distance from the city walls.

The hotel decor is a little dated but overall good place for a few nights.

Very conveniently located and great onsite parking . Rooms perfectly fine and very clean . Very good breakfast with vegetarian option. Lovely garden area at the back . Staff friendly and helpful. Good value for money.

In need of a refurbish. Breakfast didn't start till 8am which is too late for business meeting. Bed and pillows were hard (room 11)

Good sized room with sofas. Able to open windows.

staff made us really welcome and accommodated our every request as we had a special celebration flowers were ordered on our behalf lovely weekend stay .

The rooms were a bit small for a family with a lot of bags. If it had just been 3 backpacks there would have been plenty of room, but 4 suitcases and a car seat made it cramped for 2 adults and a toddler. There was only one outlet in the room, but based on the age or the hotel, it made sense. The stairs could be a bit tricky if you are not as spry as you once were. If you have a problem with stairs ask for a lower main room. Also, they only had room for 3/4 people in one room, with the 4th getting their own single room.

The staff was exceedingly friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean and tidy. The hotel is only a short walk to the city center/train station and literally just behind the bus stop to get into the city if you don't want to walk!

A bit of trouble with the shower temperature control

Room was spacious and well appointed so too was the bathroom. The breakfasts were full English and service was very good.

Room wasn't great, old fashioned décor. Door knob missing of unit, pillows were really uncomfortable. bathroom wasn't clean, hairs on tiles, didn't look clean.

It's an old building, so to be fair the staircase can't be helped (steep if you're on the second floor!), and some of the wallpaper in the corridors is tired and starting to life, but excellent value and would stay again.

Wonderful to be greeted at the end of a long drive by the owner; staff were very accommodating when it came to shuffling cars and sorting parking. Beds wonderful - fresh clean crisp linen. Great base for exploring York - 10 minute walk to Micklegate

There is onsite parking, but it is very limited. There is the need to resort to double parking and requesting other guests to move their vehicles. Wi-fi is advertised but was not available in our room. Very frustrating. There were only 2 power sockets in our room. You could not boil the kettle while having the TV on. This is an unacceptable in today's age. The price was very high but my friends wedding was on the weekend of York races so demand was high. We paid £190 for two nights which I think is borderline extortionate.

Staff were very helpful and polite. Room cleanliness was good. Location is fair, short walk to the city centre. The included breakfast is decent.

Duvets much too heavy and duvet covers too long-quite a trip hazard. The en-suite floor very slippy when wet,could've used a floor 'mat'.

Staff very friendly and the hotel itself a pleasant building/gardens

The only thing that I didn't like was the carpet in the bathroom & around toilet. It wasn't very hygienic.

The hotel is in a good location & easy to find. Its a 20 min walk to city centre. The breakfast is excellent with plenty of choices. Our room & ensuite were spacious.