Reviews of Holiday Inn Aylesbury 3 stars

Aston Clinton Road, Aylesbury, HP22 5QT, United Kingdom

#8 of 12 hotels in Aylesbury

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Entrance spoils the open reception area. Maybe just a couple of biscuits, few more Tea bags and a bottle of water for the money would be good at the standard level

Food in the bar area was very good as was breakfast. Staff very welcoming and attentive.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The walk from the reception area to our rooms was a bit of a track, but the everything else was excellent.

Easy access, welcoming staff, clean and tidy, and very accommodating. Excellent hotel that responds well to individual’s expectations.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I didn’t like the confusion with the room numbering. Try finding 166 for the first time, the normal way.

Got my Linda Mc cartney sausages and soya milk. Love the hash browns, not oily. Love the baby mushrooms, cooked to satisfaction. Bed was ver6 comfortable, slept for 9 hours straight! First for a long long time, can’t remembe4 when. Love th3 choices of pillows! Good idea.

Nothing at all. Highly recommended.

Everything. Lovely staff, always smiling and accommodating..a home from home, without having to cook and clean obviously.. facilities are great. I have stayed a few times, which speaks volumes..always happy to return.

Choice of pillows .

The bed was comfortable but pillows were not. Not much choice of breakfast but very nice. I had a early morning flight Back home to France so I asked for an early morning call at 4:30 having been assured that the call was logged it did not happen and caused me great inconvenience.' VERY unprofessional. but hey-ho a very nice and welcoming hotel .great front of house staff.

A nights stay Is very expensive for the quality of the room. Things need replacing and updating. Checks weren’t being made to make sure service’s offered in the room were in full working order. Two drinks from the bar was very expensive. A large glass of wine and a soft drink £11.80!

The Staff on reception and restaurant/ Bar were lovely very obliging.

Exceptionally cheerful & helpful check in/out staff. Very helpful restaurant staff at breakfast - delivering for me, great “gluten & cows milk free” poached egg on toast. Thank you 😊

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service took over an hour and the internal phone in my room didn’t work.

Lovely clean peaceful room with kettle (essential!) and tv. Comfortable bed and pillows. I like the option to have an evening meal too.

Computer system was down on my arrival at 3.45pm so reception unable to check me in so could not go to my room.. Had to wait approx 1hr. Australian receptionist was extremely rude. The swimming pool and Jacuzzi were out of order for maintanainance so unable to use this facility. In the bar in the evening there was not beer (bitter) only larger. Hotel needs to be renovated - this is dated and soulless.

The large comfortable bed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Booked room three months in advance to be told that the we hat to have a twin room because the hotel was full. We only attended because we were unable to cancel the room when our function was cancelled. Thankfully the receptionist upgraded us to an executive room. The room itself was very good but the shower did not work because the lower level handheld shower had been removed so there was no power in the overhead shower in fact water was shooting out of the mixer tap where the original handheld shower should have been attached. In addition to this we use the leisure facilities and although the staff were welcoming the Shower door was broken in the ladies changing room and the Jacuzzi was broken and unusable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very attentive and extremely friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Being able to pre book with non payment option incase of cancellation is a must and helps you decide on a hotel

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Was told my room was 'just through there' when it was actually quite a long walk down the maze of corridors - no offer of help with my bags or any real apology when I had to walk all the way back again when my room card didn't work....

Nice size comfy room. Quite a good choice at breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel is good. Nice lobby. Rooms are Ok - clean. Comfort - good. Staff - nice and helpful. Hotel needs some renovation but it is Ok for travelers coming to see the region.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The personnel is generally not very friendly. We tried to use the conference rooms as we had arrived very early with some colleagues, but while being free, they didn't let us use one due to health and safety (hadn't been cleaned). Ridiculous.

Ä

The room cups were not cleaned properly. This left serious concerns in our minds re hygiene.

V comfy bed. Receptionist and restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful.

On arrival, i waa allocated a room which had been used by another guest - this was quickly resolved bit not great when you arrive at 10.15 pm. The property looks tired around the edges with some threadbare carpets. I sat and worked in the bar area on my second night and had to listen to the manager berate her staff and accuse them of haemorrhaging money - not very professional. After waiting patiently for 30 minutes in the quite empty restaurant to have my drink order taken whilst all guests who came in after me had been served, I had to get up and ask if someone would come and serve me.

Clean room and good breakfast selection.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel didn't respond to any of my emails prior to arrival (I needed to know whether they had a cot available.) They obviously set up the cot in a hurry and left 2 small bottles of shampoo and body wash inside the cot, luckily we found this before our daughter did! There is no lift, which when you have a suitcase and a buggy is hard work. The breakfast cost £16.95 as we hadn't pre booked which I feel is way over priced for the property - especially when you're a vegetarian! Staff didn't ask how our stay was and seemed like we were inconveniencing them so altogether not a great stay.

The room was spacious and the bed was comfy. it was great to have a swimming pool on site that was free to use.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was experiencing serious under-staffing problems over the whole bank holiday weekend. We arrived at the restaurant at about 7pm and we didn't get any food until 8:30. We were hoping to try the swimming pool after dinner but when we finally finished eating and paying there was insufficient time for the pool. This was disappointing. My heart went out to the few staff who were working in the restaurant as they were working very hard. There are restaurants near by so you might want to try those if you don't want to risk spending ages waiting for a table or waiting for food. The hotel looks nice but it could do with a little bit of a touch-up here and there. The bedroom walls and bathroom door could do with a bit of a wipe. I'm no snob but there were marks that could easily be removed.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was good. The room was nice and a good size. The hotel was quiet without the sound of other guests in their rooms. The breakfast was nice. There was plenty of parking. The best thing was the swimming pool which was very nice.

It was entirely trip for pleasure so choice of the hotel was based on your facilities marked with jacuzzi sauna and swimming pool on your website at the time of my booking but what a disappointment it was to: find jacuzzi not working, pool smelled of wee and sauna had some girls under 10 entering and running out non stop for no reason. Ceiling in my bathroom was peeling off, taps were disgusting and having warfarin injections I feared if I cut myself and start bleeding on my weekend away! I won’t mention “reduced” lunch/dinner menu we were informed of when we arrived at 5pm. Reduced menu!? On bank holiday?! And did you taste any of your late evening meals?

We enjoyed breakfast with good choice of food and drink

We came for breakfast at 10:15am. None of the tables had not been cleared and there wasn’t anyone to be seen to be cleaning them. We ended up having to clear a table ourselves to sit down and eat breakfast. It just looked very messy and we understand it was a busy morning but we were disappointed by this. Also, the breakfast bar had not been updated so there was hardly anything about.

Staff were really friendly and it was just what we needed for a night away after attending a wedding. Able to check in early too which was lovely.

The whole place looked really run down. Carpets were smelly and rooms looked tired. We had booked 2 separate rooms and were allocated adjoining rooms even though we hadn’t asked for this. I went down to reception to ask for non-adjoins rooms and was told all double and twin rooms were adjoining - shocking! This is Holiday Inn, people, not even Holiday Inn Express. This is probably the worst Holiday Inn we have booked to date. IHG, wake up and smell the coffee. There are budget hotels that are way better than the Aylesbury Holiday Inn Hotel. Please treat your customers with more respect than this - this hotel just needs to be shut down for a bit while much needed renovations take place. Anyway, we ended up asking to check out as soon as we had checked in as we had been advised we couldn’t even upgrade to executive rooms as none were available. In any case, no one should ever need to upgrade just so they can have a non-adjoining totally room - this should come as standard. Please avoid booking this hotel if you can.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

other guests leaving their food trays outside the rooms, as staff weren't aware and they were left for a long period of time. This made it look unclean although i must stress this isn't a negative on staff.

staff were friendly and happy to help

The television didn't work, but I think that was down to adverse weather conditions. The portion of soup from the All Day Menu was a bit small, especially given the cost

The bed was so comfy and I liked the choice of pillows very much. Fabulous lobby area to just sit and chill and/or work in. Breakfast wonderful (as ever)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Where to start? The lighting in both the bedroom and bathroom is extremely poor and the wooden sliding shutters (in place of curtains) are unwieldy, unattractive and force you to sleep in almost total darkness without the benefit of early morning light(for those who want it). The food is very mediocre and the restaurant service is very slow due to a lack of staff. The restaurant manager could do with some training on how to deal with both customers and staff. The bathroom has nowhere to rest a toilet bag and the only place to hang a hand towel is over the toilet roll! Not the most hygienic of positions.

Location was very convenient and the bed was comfortable.

Actually we didn’t spend much time at the hotel so there wasn’t anything we didn’t like.

The fact we had a ground floor room and it was quiet. Also the breakfast we did have there was plenty of choice

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Changed rooms after air con did it work to be told they were having issues with it. Why put some one in a faulty room. Second room TV didn’t work. Manager said all he can do is apologise frankly very poor service not acceptable. Old run down interior thread bear carpets, broken ceiling, faulty rooms not very clean not at all relaxing. Breakfast extortionately over priced, poor produce. What more could I say book elsewhere.

I didn't expect two single beds in my room. The other issue was, the access card to the bedroom wasn't working 2nd time. I had to go all the way back to the reception. Although, the staff were very quick and re-activated the card and sorted.

Welcoming reception and spacious sitting in dining area. Loved the window view from my bedroom and the sitting arrangement outdoor for lunch/dinner. Overall facilities were good. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Jacuzzi not working .also threadbare carpets on the stairs Breakfast was a bit haphazard - juice was empty , no plates by toaster , hardly ny cups by coffee machine

Swimming pool an sauna

• Standard Double or Twin Room

1. We arrived with some people at once: check-in took much too long time. 2. Check-out: catastrophe, 8:15 a.m.: ten persons in a row, 5 min per person, one employee. 2nd employee came, made a photo from the row and disappeared. 3. Bar: not enough beer glasses for a group of 6 4. Room: too clairaudient

nothing to dislike,

Breakfast was excellent, and the staff at reception very helpful and informative. Would have liked to have stayed longer. Have stayed before.

Lovely Hotel. I complimented when I checked out on the friendliness of staff, their customer service is excellent! Absolutely nothing to fault, I jokingly told front desk I wished there had been hot chocolate at breakfast and they proceeded to make me one free of charge.. even though it was available at breakfast I had simply not seen it!! Very enjoyable stay.. would highly recommend.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Extremely poor customer service from the breakfast staff. Was greeted with ‘you only have 10 minutes until we close, hurry up’. I understand it is a 3 star property but politeness and customer service should still be valued. When I commented on the ladies poor customer service I was met with rude abuse.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Leisure centre disappointing and hot tub was out of order . Swimming pool v small and full of children

Location great for the party we were going to. Front desk staff v helpful

VERY thin walls; could hear everything in adjacent room and corridor. Food and room service charges were too high and put me off ordering more. Left some clothing in the room when I left which they managed to lose.

Front desk professional & considerate. Gym & pool very handy. Room was clean, heated had everything I needed.

Bed was far too hard, the corridor leading to bedroom was very tired, carpet threadbear and door was filthy.

The reception staff were friendly and welcoming

Corridor had trays from old room service meals and glasses from the bar outside the doors fro at least 24 hours after our arrival, the bin at the main front door was brimming to over full, not a welcoming site. However after mentioning the above to the reception staff it was cleared up very promptly.

Good breakfast and the Starbucks coffee was a bonus

Toilet brushes in the bathroom please !!!!. The knives could be sharper trouble cutting the bacon which was nice .no lift to first floor people would struggle if you can’t make the stairs .

Bed were comfy and room was quiet , Lovely breakfast too. Staff were very good

The water in bathroom a problem Water in wash basin blocked. Water in shower starts at very high force like Niagra Falls So strong it floods tub. Chair in room worn and stained in room 106. Had to cover chair with a towel

Lounge comfortable. Location quiet. Excellent Gym

Poor room service food choice limited.

Good location. Excellent parking. Mobile carriers for luggage at entrance. Reception staff friendly and helpful. Clean tidy room good size. Heating well controlled. Additional heating if needed. Window opened so was able to ventilate room. Leisure facilities good. Jacuzzi not in use when I visited. Really good location for getting about.

As above

The food was really greasy, not wha I would expect of a big chain. The decor was poor. Outside our room was stained roof tiles . £8 for a glass of wine ???

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Alex the receptionist told my wife we could purchase 2 breakfasts for £16 per day but when we checked out he charged us £42. When we queried that it should only be £32 he said we were charged £12 each totalling £24. That is not the price we agreed on Saturday. When my wife challenged Alex he didn't answer her make eye contact. Very poor customer service.

Food was good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Poor customer service at reception. Waiting staff did not have a clue what was in offer. Waited a terrible length of time before being attended by waiting staff despite the restaurant only having another table of 2 to attend to. No signs to identify juices, jams etc at breakfast. Black pudding was inedible- like a stone. Tv not working in room. On asking about it at reception the receptionist couldn’t say if the engineer was on site & no attempt to resolve the issue. Answered ‘I don’t know’ all the time.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Dated decor Uncontrollable room temperature (used the window to moderate the temp) Bar poorly stocked, only one unknown brand of Gin it as if the management do not know there is a Gin revolution at the moment Very disappointing. Two lagers Beck & Stella on draught, one bitter and the Guinness was out of stock. TV for the whole block went down on the Friday night around 10pm and was still not operational at check out on Sunday morning Normal exec room day rate £179 inc Breakfast is very steep for this hotel, if you cannot get a deal look for an alternative.

Breakfast selection was good Good Gym and pool

The wait for our food at the restaurant in the evening was far too long and the restaurant was freezing which made us very uncomfortable. Bit disappointed with the evening bar staff being unprofessional, inattentive and rude compared to the staff in all other areas. This is a shame as everyone else was so helpful. Also would be helpful if there was a bus timetable at reception.

Room exceeded our expectations, facilities were great! We also enjoyed using the pool and jacuzzi. The reception staff went above and beyond to ensure we had everything we needed and were more than happy to help us with local information. Also brilliant service from the young lad (possibly a trainee?) at the restaurant in the evening. Room staff also very helpful.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Attitude of one particular member of Reception staff - young man couldn't find my Booking.com reference on the system so went into “Computer says No” mode. Very frustrating start to the visit

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only small downside was that the restaurant room was a bit cold so a bit more heating in there would not go amiss. Admittedly, we stayed on a really cold night, so perhaps it would be OK, most of the times.

The bathroom was great. Nice large bath and very nice powerful shower and really properly hot water! There was a iron and an ironing board in the room too. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Every member of staff, we encountered, was very pleasant and helpful.

Main door bolt lock not working and safety chain fragile, one screw in weak plaster (would offer absolutely no protection). Hotel fine, just a little faded here and there

Very friendly staff at breakfast; nice welcome on late arrival; perfectly located.

Our room keys both stopped working multiple times in a day, it was a long walk to reception and back when tired. Some of the members of staff were pretty vacant and not very helpful. The breakfast buffet was replenished really slowly, so we ate it in bits and pieces and the croissants ran out halfway through the breakfast service. the staff seemed more concerned about making sure they didn't have any waste rather than making sure the guests didn't go without. wasn't particularly impressed that when we went to eat in the restaurant before 7pm we were informed that we should probably get our order in quickly as they had a function beginning and the kitchen would probably get too busy soon.

The rooms were lovely, comfortable and spacious. Loved that the pool was open till late so we could still swim after dinner to relax after a long day out Food was delicious except for the scrambled egg at breakfast. There was a couple of really fantastic members of staff who were extra helpful.

The person that cleaned our room , woke us up too early to clean . We didnt leave the sign for them to clean yet he knocked on the door and we were there for two nights. The cleaning service was not too good .

Staff

I only wanted toast and coffee for breakfast and don't understand why this could not be served in the restaurant as opposed to the bar where there was no one on duty. I did get the toast and coffee but it just seemed odd that I could not eat in the dining room, or that the dining room staff could not have come to my table to serve me rather than me waiting at the bar for dining room staff to tend to me there. Jam/marmalade served in a dish rather than individual packets - I know this is better for the environment and probably less costly to provide, however, there is always the worry of contamination when it's just a dollop of preserve in a little dish. Also, it would have been nice to have a selection.

Bed was comfy, nice pillows and quilts. Shower and bathroom clean and functional. Staff helpful and polite.

Bit of a maze to get around haha but once you know your way it's fine.

Comfy bed! The bathroom was clean and spacious! The staff were amazing and on it. And the food was really good! Was a heater in the room in case you get cold. But the room was nice and warm anyway!

Room was huge comfortable and warm The use of the leisure center was an absolute bonus never had a jacuzzi or been in a steam/sauna before Luxury

changing rooms could be better , hairdryer was broken and showers in the changing rooms were poor .

being able to have a starbucks latte in the hotel was a bonus . the food was good value too swimming pool , sauna and steam all included

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The decor throughout, passageways and bedrooms very tired, tatty and unclean. Most off-putting. Does not reflect the price. And it's been in that state for years now.

Accessibility and conferencing academy facilities and staff very good.

Long hall ways and no proper directions. Bed too small

The pool was the highlight of our stay. Our 2year old enjoyed the warm pool. Environment was very child friendly

See above

Hotel was fine as expected however service and maintenance not so good. Arrived 8pm tried to order room service took 10 minutes to get any answer on any phone. Remote control not working and several light bulbs in room gone.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

good functional room after a serious day of hiking over the chilterns, the manager made sure we got the bar to open as residents even though it was a quite Sat Night in Feb well worth a visit Didnt sadly get a go in the pool due to time but it looked worth a paddle

No-one picks up the main hotel phone. I tried many times and at different times of the day in the few weeks before our arrival to contact them for a couple of requests/ questions. The phone would ring so long it went dead. The TV didn't work, even terrestial channels and all he said was it's the signal, we'll look at it after you've checked out. The service in the restaurant/bar was non existent! And it wasn't that busy.

Everything was convenient and accessible. And fairly clean. One member of staff, Laura on reception was very good, friendly and helpful. I arranged this break to treat my sister, who is quite poorly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Polite and helpful staff, comfy bed and pillows, clean and tidy. It was great to have a swim and sauna in the morning too. I will definitely be happy to stay there again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Took 2 trips to reception to get key card working. Also the room was v cold and heating did not work. We were given an electric fan heater to help

Clean,tidy and friendly staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

OMG it takes forever to get food served to you in the bar in the evening. One visit, it was 1.2 hours to get my main course. This trip it took an hour to get my starter. only 6 people in the bar and the restaurant was not busy. Hotel really needs to sort this issue out. The strength of the wifi is really poor and virtually non existent in your room.

Stayed here a few times and the rooms are really good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the breakfast was very good the staff were very friendly and helpful Was on crutches and found all the staff helpful,the hotel was easy to get around. we were involved in a family time at Princes Borough only used the hotel for Bed & breakfast it was excellent for this

The only thing I did not like was that I was charged £5 for a double espresso in the evening. You do expect hotels to be a bit overpriced but I thought £5 for 20ml of coffee is a bit too much. I did enquire about it and the person at the bar did not really seem to find it weird even though a glass of wine was just £4.

We selected this hotel based on its location and the fact that it had a swimming pool. Great fitness centre (with complimentary towels) and Starbucks coffee to go during breakfast! Plenty of parking space. The hotel is besides a motorway but the rooms overlook a garden area so it is very quiet!

The hotel generally is in need of refurbishment and was quite tatty. The hotel was also quite cold and our room in particular was very cold, we complained and got a heater delivered which was ok but we did point out other things in the room which were very shoddy. The hotel however did move us to an upgrade room which was muc better and much warmer so our complaint was dealt with well.

The breakfast was very good, excellent choice and cooked food was nice and hot.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was extra comfy. The linen crisp and clean. Lovely towels. Hot shower. Very clean room. Very good reception and bar staff. Would recommend. Didn't use spa due to lack of time, but looked lovely.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The sandwich ordered in the evening was poor . Might have been a staff issue. The hotel is showing signs of wear, stairwell carpets are wearing thin. Bathroom could do with a bit of a make over too

The room was value for the money I paid, but would not have been at its normal rate

Hotel rooms were wonderfully quiet due to the Hotel's secluded location. Staff polite and helpful. Pool, sauna etc. were well maintained in spite of the age of the hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The spa facilities are great but should have a curfew for small children as peace and quiet is needed in the evenings

We are regular visitors to Holiday Inn Aylesbury as we have a relative in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Unit that we visit frequently. We are put in our preferred room without having to request it.

Was given a disabled room although we didnt ask for one. my husband got into the bathroom to shower the force of the shower was so strong it knocked him back he had difficulty turning it off.should be wet room.

The room was comfy.bed was really comfortable TV was good .

Room was very cold on arrival and heating not working. Expected room to warm up during evening and night but did not do so. Arranged to have heater for second night . On departure told reception about this and were told that heating was working in some rooms and not others. No other explanation or apology. Why were we not informed on arrival? Room noisy. Poor insulation . Could hear next conversations between people speaking in normal tone. Had to wait long time to check in . Hotel appears to be understaffed.

Breakfast was Ok but overpriced . Can get equivalent nearby Plough pub for half the price or less.

Hotel was far too noisy with doors banging well into the night. No breakfast option on the 24 hour room service menu and we were told that there actually wasn't a 24 hour menu despite what the literature said.

Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Key cards kept deactivating despite not keeping them near phones, had to make a few trips to the front desk which was a minor inconvenience.

Super friendly staff and the pool/sauna facilities were great. Nice and quiet as well. Big bath and superb water pressure in the shower! Would stay again!

Room cold on arrival but we were given a heater so solve the problem ,Would have been much better to check the room before our arrival as we had made a long journey from Scotland on a very snowy day.,

Very peaceful quiet room comfy bed.

The only thing was booking.com did not inform the hotel straight away so when I phoned the hotel they knew nothing of our booking and that was the only member of staff at the hotel who wasn't particularly helpful. The other person at the reception Laura was lovely. Two cups were left outside a room next to us from the time we checked in until the next day which I found surprising.

We had a lovely, cosy and friendly stay, all the staff were so lovely and it exceeded our expectations.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Despite booking 2 months in advance and checking a few days prior to arrival adjoining rooms had not been allocated - both rooms were doubles not one twin and a double and not even on same corridor - meant that we couldn’t stay together on Christmas had to split up one adult and one child in each room

Hotel is close to my family who we were visiting for Christmas