Reviews of Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7 4 stars

Chapel Lane, Birmingham, B43 7BG, United Kingdom

#44 of 78 hotels in Birmingham

nothing everything was to our expectations

very comfortable bed.warm,very clean room and when checking in we were greeted in a warm and welcoming way.which was nice as we arrived after midnight and both of us were extremely tired.

It was quite far from the town centre. One incident that annoyed me was that we were about to check out and we went to put the things in the car and came back to get the rest and our card was not working. The second card we got was also not working. Made me do a lot of journeys🤦🏾‍♀️

It was nice and there were other facilities that we enjoyed using

As usual,our stay at this hotel was a good experience, staff extremely friendly,room very clean,and breakfast was a treat with a good selection of food on offer, the staff on duty were very attentive and welcoming. We were a little worried on the Friday evening when a coach full of young men and women arrived carrying a large amount of booze,but our worries were unfounded as our sleep was not disturbed. We will definitely return in the future.Thank you Holiday inn and staff for a very pleasant stay.

Air conditioning was broken and made the room really stuffy, so hopefully it will be fixed by the time we book back in next year!

The hotel was incredibly accomodating for me and my 7 boardgame loving friends as they provided a room for us to play in, for free!

Excellent staff made to feel welcome immediately. Enjoyed free use of swimming pool and gym. Breakfast excellent as was evening meal. Rooms very clean and good nights sleep.

Bar seemed to close quite early. Hair dryer faulty. My main issue was with the breakfast, half the dishes on the hot section were empty. I had to find a member of staff and wait for them to be replenished. Staff clearly not attentive.

Nice friendly staff. Clean comfortable room.

My BIGGEST gripe was the cleanliness. The place is ridden with beetles and "bed bugs". I spent my 2 days getting rid of beetles and tiny insects in the bed and on the curtains. I thought it was just my room, but when walking down the corridors I could see the beetles crawling along the carpet. That was pretty grim and certainly affected my comfort level after the first day. Minor thing was that the heating is switched off during the summer months, but we had a couple of very cool days, so the room was really cold at night. But they provided me with a heater quickly enough. Also, I asked for a quiet room. It was for the most part, but I was so close to the gym/health centre that I could hear the music. This, and the loud housekeepers' discussions, disturbed me a bit; so I didn't get the lie-ins I needed. But I survived. All-in-all, the place is ok.

The room itself was good. Exactly what was needed. Really comfy bed, TV and free WiFi. The room was freezing when I arrived, but I made a call to reception and they provided me with a heater within 15-20 mins, so the staff were really helpful. The shower was AMAZING! Powerful, hot, perfect. Tea/coffee making facilities in the room. I also had a nice view. The gym is nice enough. It's quite small so you may struggle in busy periods, but I had no problems. The access to a gym for 30/night was the main selling point for me, so I was pleased with that. If you pay attention to the details the hotel rooms could use a bit of a touch up BUT considering the facilities, it's great value for money if it's for a short stay.

I had several knocks on my door throughout my stay (not sure if it was staff or guests) which made me lock the door incase someone came in.. Very expensive breakfast.

Loved the pool facilities and tv/wifi. Very clean and well decorated.

The ventilator in the bathroom did not work or I could not find any switch to put it on and after a shower the bathroom was all steamed.

The room was very big and lovely with tv, comfy bed and facilities to prepare Tea and coffee. I loved that we had even an iron! We ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely. Also we were served by Sorin and he was very good at recommending food and drinks.

• Executive Double Room

The stay was very good. However breakfast and some restaurant staff kitchen staff were not pleasant the breakfast was cold at times also tea facilities need improving individual sachets are more hygienic rather than a bowl of open tea bags.... also better disability access is need

The stay was very good the rooms where clean and comfortable. thank you

A/C in room didn't work, but the windows opened so was cool (I sleep quite hot) - we had massive thunderstorm overnight and even with windows open it didn't bother us much. However, if you're a light sleeper and need a cool room might want to check that the A/C works in advance :-)

Booked this as a quick stop-over on way home from Lake District. Chose this Holiday Inn over others as it had a pool and we'd been walking all week so thought it could be a nice relaxed evening. It was as expected. The 'spa' complex was well equipped and clean, the sauna was super hot (how I like it) and the pool was adequate size. Room was clean, well equipped and comfortable. Didn't eat in the restaurant but ate in the lounge bar, the chicken salad was fresh and tasty, plus the staff grabbed an additional table and chairs so we could eat with a view of the Champions League final. All in all, great service from attentive staff in a clean, comfortable hotel. Recommended.

tired hotel looking rather sad, strange smell in the lobby and hallways, very slow check in and check out process (the process is very manual - 1980's style), definitely not a four star hotel, our room was on basement level (quite a strange experience), tiny bathroom (impossible for more than one person to stand in)

good shower, reasonably comfortable bed, clean room

• Executive Double Room

I know it’s not the hotel’s fault but there was an extremely noisy couple next door who kept us up all night! Breakfast wasn’t very nice...cold eggs and beans and stale pastries.

Good location for where we needed to go and bonus was free parking.

The staff during breakfast were too busy. I ha e gluten free food and it took a very long time fir someone to help me with it

It was clean and very comfortable

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

There was nothing to dislike but the only thing for some people to note is that there are no lifts and you may need to go a flight of stairs.

The beds were great to sleep on and the gym, spa and steam room were very enjoyable.

Amazing value for money Room was clean and perfect size Staff were lovely Location if going to NEC is 20mins drive away which is perfect for us Brilliant stay Thankyou!!

The bathroom shower wall was dirty not clean propely other than that the rest was good

Spacious room Windefull line restaurant menu Is perfect free coffee i enjoy

I found the matress quite uncomfortable could do with a soft topper, also a hot chocolate sachet in the tea tray would be lovely!

Staff were lovely and happy to chat and help you out with anything. Breakfast was lovely great choice, fried eggs were perfect. Toaster needs a look at as doesn't really toast anything.

The restaurant area is in need of renovation. At breakfast, staff lifted my empty plate from behind rather than approaching from the front and were very abrupt.

The bathroom was tiny and awkward. The shower was not very powerful. In fact we ended up showering in the Health Club showers as they were very good!

Excellent facilities in the Health Club - swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna all very welcome. Ample parking. Comfy bed.

We asked for a quiet room but it was quite noisy. Some of it was people, which the hotel can’t really control, but some was the constant sound of doors swinging shut which disturbed our sleep.

Good room and facilities. Bathroom a little small but it was just a stop over for us.

There is nothing to complain about at this hotel.

There is nothing to complain about at this hotel it’s clean the staff are helpful and friendly the food was good and the bed was comfortable.

• Executive Double Room

No lifts, Spa treatments were too expensive, poor signage, really annoyed that i could not use USB drive to watch saved movies. Had to use inhouse movie options and they were limited, dated and expensive 7.50 for a movie.....good thing i had my tablet as i was able to watch netflix.....which is £7.99 a month for numerous movies. Holiday Inn really need to step they game up...it should be 99p a movie!

Jackie on Reception was really polite and helpful

Every time I came out of the room the door slammed shut. The rooms are not as big as the Holiday Inn Express M5, J2. The staff at breakfast were not very inviting. They were efficient but not friendly. Reception staff were great

Ample parking.

The door key didn't work - had to return to reception several times to have it recoded.

Ground floor room as disabled and special treatment in restaurant as both of us have eating problems.

Poor sink drainage in bathroom Slightly tired decor

Safe and Quiet surroundings Location was convenient Gym accessibility was a bonus (not enough time to use sauna and swimming pool) Pleasant staff Comfy room

the room was terrible and the bathroom was so small i had to squeeze in .also got a parking ticket.staff never mentioned we had to register the car at reception

The location was great. Very comfortable bed. The room was clean and the bathroom was beautiful. Fluffy towels. Breakfast was fantastic. We will be back.

Bit noisy, but that can’t always be helped with some guests

Facilities are always good, with pool etc. Breakfast was lovely, good range with options for everyone. Staff we lovely as always

the swimming pool was warm and inviting but really needs a good deep clean the tiles look black with dirt so was off putting to say the least we did mention it to manager he said due for deep clean but i feel this should be done every day as sad to say most using pool did not shower before they entered pool and most had long black hair so not good !

staff were nice in general not sure why cleaning staff took our glasses but maybe assumed hotel glasses ??? but feel that if they know were staying longer should leave in room until we have left we did add another night so maybe confused but never got back our lost property

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

I loved the facilities in the hotel the pool, jacuzzi the sauna and the steam room. The food was really good aswell, the staff were polite and more than happy to help whether it was to order food or to ask for a few extra towels or a toothbrush, the hotel room was very clean the bed was comfortable. Great value for money I would recommend this hotel and be more than happy about staying again :D 5/5

I couldn't turn the heating down or off. I could open the window a little but not enough to cool the room down.

The breakfasts,bedroom,swimming pool.

Bar and Restaurant a bit pricey.

Clean rooms. Friendly and attentive staff. The food is good in the bar and restaurant albeit a little pricey. Tip :-Always make sure to book your car Reg in on the device in reception upon arrival to get your free parking.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Very dirty room hairs on bed celotape on ceiling, litter under the sofa bed. Stained carpet. Noisy constantly doors banging through the whole night! No noticed on unavailability of a travelcot that I requested. No notice no lifts I was travelling along with toddler pushchair and several bags to drag up two sets of stairs!

Friendly staff on welcome

There were no tea making facilities in the bedroom. We therefore had to go and buy a cup of tea in the bar. This cost us £6.10 which was almost the same price as 2 alcoholic drinks in the bar later that evening. Also with loud functions taking place in the hotel there was no additional quiet rooms to sit in while having a "relaxing" drink.

the convenience of the hotel to get into the city centre by bus.

The jacuzzi in the leisure centre was not working so it was disappointing as the leisure facilities was one reason I booked this hotel.

The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. Could not do enough to help.

Being disturbed several times on the night by banging doors loud sexual conservations. Doors need silent soft close hinges

Room was clean and comfortable

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Steps my wife got problem her nee,,, she can’t walk in step,, so we her realy hard time,,

I been to hotel,,, sofa bed not ready,, and when I been to shower opening tap come off,, and next day morning I been to pool around 8:15pool not open,, pool attendant said it’s not ready pool open around after 8:40,,it’s realy disappointed,,

Bathroom could of been bigger

Large hotel, lots of parking, loved the pool, steam room, sauna and hot tub were great, gym a little small but good selection of machines. Food really nice but a bit expensive

Promised bed for little one by booking.com but when we turned up no bed so very uncomfortable night. This has now happened twice with my booking with booking.com. Hotel blamed booking.com and was told to take up with them. Most unhappy child and parents.

Good location.

The tv not being at the end of the bed on the wall so it was in clear view . Instead the tv was on the far left of the room.

The bathroom was beautiful and the bed was extremely comfortable.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The bathroom was too tight! the pillows were hard. No shower gel facility in the bathroom! No toothpaste or toothbrush facility in the bathroom! a member of restaurant staff was extremely rude to my wife and told her that she was surprised that my wife had managed to eat all her large meal and that she must have been starving, basically stating the meal was to large for a normal women to eat. I was shocked that a member of staff would even say such a thing. My wife suffers very badly with thyroid problems and finds it hard to lose weight and feel uncomfortable with her weight. This was a very upsetting experience.

Facilities provided were just right so there is nothing to dislike.

Lovely comfy bed,really good breakfast selection .Nothing too much trouble for the staff.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Someone went in the swimming pool with normal clothes on which is not the right thing to do due to infection control. Also we noticed in the morning while we were having breakfast that a lady was using a cleaning spray to clean the table but she didn't remove the cutlery and this is not acceptable.

The breakfast was good and the hotel was clean. The swimming pool was big. The sauna and jacuzzi were good.

The room had brown crumbs on carpet from previous occupant. I didn't tell reception as I thought it would be cleaned again when it got cleaned the next day. However the cleaner just put a chair over the crumbs that were the size of 5p. I was trying to have a relaxing weekend so I didn't bother to tell reception. Also the room was I long way from reception. 3 corridors I think there should be a lift or ramp for suitcases

The hotel was close to public transport.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The staff is so impatient. She doesn't want to solve the problem we have that is the heat didn't work and we can't charge our phone and laptop. She always said 'I don't know'. Her attitude makes me feel she is a racist.

The restaurant

The room was quite a distance for me to get fresh water for the kettle. This was a problem especially as I was on crutches.

The room was comfortable and reasonably spaced. There was also the sauna and steam room next to my room that was a bonus and very nice.

Customer service

Customer service was stupid with passive aggressive behaviour from one staff member and the other causing confusion when our group wanted to pay. Utterly ridicious who hires these people?

A lift to the upper floors would have been good. It was fine for us, but I did see an old couple struggling with the stairs. Unless you've stayed at the property before you wouldn't know that there's no lift and to request a ground floor room. The speed bumps in the car park are too large and could damage certain cars.

We really liked that we could see our car from the hotel window. It's easier to get a good nights sleep if you can check on your car every now and again, especially when located near a city centre. The food in the restaurant was amazing, and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The heating in my room was far too hot, spoke with reception twice late into the evening and again midnightish, they sent someone on both occasions, however the radiator remained red hot causing a restless uncomfortable night with not alot of sleep for both myself and my son.

Overall, we enjoyed the facilities ie; the pool and felt the room was clean and tidy and the breakfast was adequate.

The breakfast price is steep but i got it cheeper as i booked it when i checked in and my child went free otherwise i wouldn't have been keen paying £14.99 for myself a breakfast.

Comfy bed & pillows, pool, excellant breakfast choice, very friendly staff.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Pillows were rather uncomfortable, very small bathroom. Extremely cold bedroom but it was minus 5 outside, abnormally cold weather.

Breakfast staff and chef we're delightful even at 7:30am on a Saturday morning. Breakfast it'self was amazing, everything you could want in a morning.

Woken up by the cleaner at 9am, first knocking then coming into our room, then hoovering hall. Breakfast was luke warm and gave us wrong things. Bed was hard and gave me and my partner back ache. Breakfast was 20/25 minutes earlier than ordered for so wasn't dressed yet.

Lovely pillows, v. Tasty hot chocolate. Restaurant at dinner was very nice. Good size room, quiet despite closeness to motorway. Very friendly staff

The downstairs single rooms are fairly small and the lower ground floor always smells damp. These rooms would benefit from a good airing prior to check in.

Well located and relatively inexpensive. The staff were all very nice.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

bed was way too soft and bit small for 2 "normal" sized adults. A fridge would have been nice

all acceptable, restaurant and bar were good with super service

Checkout took longer than expected as there was only one member of staff on the reception. Quiet annoying as I had somewhere to be. Everything else was fab.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The telephone in the hotel room did not work, we could not call to reception. The steam room was out of order The hairdryer in the room did not work and we were unable to get another one The fan in the bathroom did not work

The staff are friendly, spa facilities were great (apart from steam room being out of order). Location is great and the hotel was very quiet at night

Cooler was not that cool and could not adjust it. Temperature control for the room does not appear to have any effect. Safe did not work. Microwave would be nice. I think customers should be reminded up front that vehicle registration. Disappointed that STEAM ROOM WAS INOPERATIVE !! ELECTRICITY WENT OFF IN THE MORNING!

Internet stable, bath, iron, radiator , room close to where I parked and the gymn.

First is staff was very friendly and the bedroom i was very comfortable but I didn't like on things no Robe for baths or to going to sweem.anyway we very like it.

No soundproofing at all. If people walking past your room with wheeled suitcases chatting casually can be heard clear as a bell, imagine the frustrating noise of slightly merry groups of adults staggering down the lengthy corridor at silly o clock. Clean? Yes. Comfy? Yes. Akin to sleeping in a public place in terms on noise levels? Absolutely. This isn’t the hotels fault but it was bloody annoying, sadly.

Breakfast was great!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The pool was cloudy and the chlorine strong. The reason for the murkiness is the amount of urine in the pool interacting with the chlorine not an inviting sight, but the children didnt seem to mind after spending 2.5 hours in it!

Front staff declared I have only one room booked while I had booked 2. Booking in hotel was in name of my son rather than me. A parcel was to be delivered at reception which I was told hadn’t reached there but on my insistence they managed to find one. Room radiators and heating levels were troublesome. Syed Bokhari

Beds were comfy

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Everything about this hotel is absolutely fantastic clean , spacious room food is delicious with a great selection . The staff are very polite and friendly nothing is to much trouble this is the 6th time we have stayed at this hotel we are all ready booked again for June . I will be looking to book again during the Easter school holiday very soon great place for children to stay too thank you for yet another great weekend

The temperature ! It felt cold and I could not increase the temperature .

It was wonderful that I was given an alternative room with a bath. That mad such a different.

The bathroom is tiny. Breakfast is priced at £15.00 p/p. Harvester across the road served an amazing full English for a fraction of the price.

The room was value for money.

• Double Room - Disability Access

No one picked the reception phone And no ones helped at night Time

Room was too hott Fan or air conditioner wasn’t working Can’t sleep whole night, feeling sick just coz of room temperature. Even in morning before checked out felt v bad sickness headache fever nose blook and bleeds thats y we missed our breakfast as well. I’m quite regular and old client with holiday inn but in that visit I was quite disappointed and unsatisfied coz of un management system.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The food was awful and overpriced. Needs work to become better. The waitresses left flirty notes on my boyfriend’s room service which was inappropriate. Charging £3.10 for a pint of Pepsi was also excessive.

The double bed was comfy but the sofa bed wasn’t. Room was clean and tidy, no problem with the room. Staff were all wonderful, helpful and without judgement. Had fun with the bar staff and the waitresses were friendly (a little too much at times, see below).

The heater in my room didn't work and I couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone, by the time I came back from the event the heat pump had finally warmed the room enough, but I was quite cold when I was getting ready and had to use my shawl as an additional blanket during the night. I am sure if I had gone to the desk they would have sorted it all out, but I ran out of time.

We had our Wives Ball there and the staff were amazing, over 100 rowdy, sparkly women and well all had the best time!

Small bathroom bit not the end of the world

From the moment I arrived after a very long journey, I was looked after, I was tired and hungry and they poined me in the right direction, charged things to my room easily, no issues. (I worked in hospitality for 15 years). I could not fault this hotel. I had a meal in the bar, ordered dessert but couldn't eat it, and they let me take it to my room, and understood - no fuss. When I saw the receptionist who checked me in later she asked if I felt better, as if she cared, she didn't need to. The food was the best club sandwich I have ever had. The bar was busy and a few kids running about but not a problem on a Friday night, the atmosphere was great, the room and bed lovely, quiet and comfortable. My only niggle is the bathroom is a bit on the small side, but a lovely shower. Faultless. I'll be back, and I had a great room only rate to, I didn't have breakfast, but if the meal I had was anything to go by, I should have had breakfast, if I had time.

Think you need to change your pillow supplier. Find out who Premier Inn use. 😉

Excellent value for money. Spotlessly clean room, polite reception staff. Went to Basmati restaurant just opposite and had a wonderful curry.

Bit secluded in terms of location. Bathroom a tad bit small, but decent and clean with a great power shower

Staff were excellent! Very clean and comfortable rooms, with staff always on hand for any assistance. Room was very warm and bed was comfy. Great power shower

• Executive Double Room

Our noisy neighbours in the room next door, however hotel sorted problem well, top marks to staff, eat in restaurant one night, service very good, it would be nice if they had a chef to cook the food rather than heating up already packaged food, was acceptable but you would not book a meal out there.

Leisure centre very good, breakfast very nice, room clean.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Could have been some body and hair wash in shower. The price of a glass of wine...........Nearly eight pounds...........Disgraceful.

Room very comfortable

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

There was a weird annoying sound that kept all day long. it was like a huge rolling ball that was going from one side to the other right above our room.

I really liked the comfort of the beds as well as the bathroom as it was really relaxing.

The facilities and room was a little dated. There was mound in the refrigerator and the shower. Found a slice of pizza in the room where the room hadn’t been cleaned properly. On the journey to the first room We were put in it didn’t have a very good smell. The carpet stunk.

The bed was very comfy. And the staff very friendly and accommodating.

Browse Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7 traveller photo gallery