Reviews of Holiday Inn Cambridge 4 stars

Lakeview , Bridge Road, Cambridge, CB24 9PH, United Kingdom

#17 of 25 hotels in Cambridge

It was based in a lovely area, the staff were lovely,...

I enjoyed everything but the only niggle was I didn’t enjoy the teabags in the room, however due to there being a Starbucks on site that’s easily fixed.

It was based in a lovely area, the staff were lovely, welcoming and very attentive. The room was spotless and easy to find. The restaurant and bar on site was also really lovely and food for an evening meal and the breakfast was lovely. I will always stay here when I visit Cambridge, as i always have a lovely stay. Very good value for what you get and the facilities including a gym and swimming pool plus jacuzzi. Lovely for families, work and also couples of any age. Very close to the park and ride to get into the city centre which takes 10 minutes on the bus.

Enjoyed the stay, leisure facilities very good, staff could be more helpful.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bar staff were very poor they did not know what cognac was and Tea and coffee in the bar were served cold and of poor quality after a considerable wait. Breakfast items from the buffet that had run out were not replaced very quickly had to ask several times for items to be replaced.

Spa and pool facilities were good and well kept.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Location convenient to dual carriageway.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We checked into twin rooms, even though I had requested a double on my booking form. The room also smelt odd. We were moved to a suite that had not been cleaned properly, I’m sure if you check 159 there is dust/food down the back of couch. We had hairs in the bath. The top of the tv was thick with dust also. Every night we sat in the small lounge by the front door, there is still food and rubbish down the couch after day 4. The spa was up and down with cleanliness, on the first day a customer was cleaning with the spa towels. Spa staff were friendly.

Location convenient to dual carriageway.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Let down by poor customer service

The Resturaunt staff at an evening meal were transactual, no personality. The same person the next night at the bar was no better. The 2 drinks were extremely expensive (dearest in 5 weeks) with no garnishing, melted ice before they were handed to us. They could do with some bar training particularly if they are going to charge premium prices!

The location was pleasant and an easy find. The front reception staff were very helpful and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

People were friendly

The hotel management has no idea what a handicapped person needs or what a access room needs to have in it very poorly designed. Ringing a head did not help us. I was told we would get a walk in shower. The bathroom door was not fixed to the floor just hanging free from the track above The beds a tied and old needed to pack them up with towels to make it sleep able. Handicapped rooms are at the back of the building a 140 meter walk. Plenty of old carpet with holes starting for trip hazards along the way Pet rooms are right up the front , I was amazed at the poor thinking on this . They seem to have their priorities out of order The people however did what they could and were friendly but could not fix the problems the food was good. Don't ask for the wheel chair as it has no tyres I have toasted this hotel because it needs change and $$$$ spent too live up to their claims. This was the worst H/I room we stayed in for the 2 months we traveled in the UK.

People were friendly

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Excellent service. The restaurant and evening meal exceeded my expectations.

That I didn't have more time and time to use the pool/gym etc. I'll be back though :)

Spacious room, comfortable bed, clean, staff excellent. In the evening, the restaurant was busy but the staff were so accmodating, responsive, attentive and the food was great. I really enjoyed my dinner and half of that was down to the excellent service.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Perfectly acceptable

There were signs of 'cost cutting'. The toiletries were limited in quantity and scope (one 'individual' bottle each of shampoo and body wash) and were not replenished for the second day. Neither biscuits nor any other snack were provided, neither was hot chocolate; milk and tea were not replenished for the second day. There was no minibar - nor even a 'fridge - in the room. There was no writing pad nor pen/pencil. Little things, of course, but rather detract from the overall impression . . .

Welcoming attitude; good breakfast; comfortable room and bed.

Met family and friends for a birthday get together, that was very good, but not the room

We were put into a disabled room that needed updating, example wooden shutters no curtains. Update on bathroom fittings, but we only stayed 1 night. Did make it known to the staff that we were not impressed by the room

The restaurant food was veriy good breakfast/dinner

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Enjoyable

There should have been a mat to put in bath as it was very slippery trying to get out of shower. In fact as we are an older couple would have preferred a proper shower cubicle.

The bedrooms were very comfortable with plenty of room to spread out

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Nice staff, good food, would like a different room please.

As soon as we opened the door to our room there was a strong smell of damp. It was around the doorway and bathroom area. We would have asked to move but we did not have any spare time to deal with this as we needed to get straight off to an arrangement. The weather was warm so we coped during our time in the room by leaving the window open and the extractor(and therefore lights) on in the bathroom-not very ecological but it had to be done. Another thing was that the cold tap needed some diy manoeuvring to operate it, room 173. Otherwise it could not be turned off. At the Starbucks they said they had soya milk, then went off for 5 minutes to find it, then didn't come to tell me there was none. I had to ask the barmaid who appeared and she said 'oh yes, I passed him in the kitchen, he told me to tell you there is no soya!' So I had black. There was also a litttle girl with a gathering who had to wait 15 minutes for her hot chocolate, whilst the rest of her family enjoyed their drinks.

The food was very good, we had room service, set menu. Then breakfast in dining room. All good quality a nicely prepared.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Handy to the Motorway.

No lifts - had to carry our huge bags upstairs. The reception guy was very helpful and carried one of our heavy bags.

Handy to the Motorway. Spacious - we were upgraded to an executive suite.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Our special request wasn’t carried out
    • Deluxe Room

More care and attention food over cooked

We saw the special offer on a big board on our way out next morning for the restaurant there was nothing on the menu and staff didn’t tell us about special offer when they gave us menus

A relaxing time with my mum.

Room is tired and in need of an update. Leisure facilities, changing room etc also need refurbishment.

Housekeeping staff very friendly and helpful. (especially Herbie.) All staff were pleasant.

No reason to like something, I was eager to leave.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location, far more out of the Cambridge city. The staff - I had the feeling I was invisible. The bed - the most uncomfortable bed I had in any hotel, the pillows and bed linens was so low quality and an uncertain white colour. The bathroom wasn't cleaned properly - the sink was greasy, the toilet seat ..... The kettle it wasn't cleaned for long time, certainly. I had big luggages with me, they gave me a room where I had to walk 10 min to find it, carrying all that, I had to go on the stairs, as well - no lift, no help from the staff, very rood. When I left in the morning they didn't even looked to reply to my good bye. Overall was the worst accommodation I ever had in a hotel. I was so sorry that I wanted to leave but I was very tired, coming straight from the airport, and I didn't had energy to carry again the luggage all that way towards exit.

No reason to like something, I was eager to leave.

It was a convenient stop on our way to Felixstowe.

The hotel is getting shabby. It was cold, no remote control for tv, not enough tea, coffee or milk. Water in the basin was back to front......

Good breakfast but expensive.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Fair price for tired hotel but good location for Cambridge

Bed linen stained & not changed after 1st night. Bar food order wrong & ham offered to vegetarian. Tired looking room & bathroom.

Comfortable beds, good sleep & good choice at breakfast. Pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

by car convenient location for visiting Cambridge and...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

lack of a lift (it was not written anywhere in the Booking.com introduction); very annoying to carry heavy suitcases up the stairs

by car convenient location for visiting Cambridge and surroundings

Below average for price

We wanted a coffee at 10.30pm, the barmaid gave us milk in a cup! The only seating area available had a huge tv showing wrestling, very loudly. Very very disappointing I wouldn’t go back to this hotel despite traveling to Histon frequently

Check in was easy polite staff. Edroom clean and tidy Bathroom adequate

Easy access to the main A14 trunk road but on the outskirts of the city.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Can not think of anything.

Reception staff were super helpful. Some complementary newspapers in the foyer. It was really hot so they provided infused water in reception. Very welcome.

A very friendly and well managed hotel.

The accommodation areas, bedroom, bathroom looked tired and in need of an update.

The whole place seems to be extremely well managed and the staff in every area seemed focussed, friendly and professional. We were impressed with how clean and efficient all the public areas were. The restaurant staff, in particular, were excellent.

Good location and it doesn’t feel like a hoilday inn because...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Cleaners woke us up both mornings being so loud it was around 8/9am both mornings

Good location and it doesn’t feel like a hoilday inn because it’s so clean and posh looking

Fun with friends in relaxing setting

Ran out of Brownies for children's meal

Enjoyed the swimming pool and steam room Room cool and comfortable in hot weather Enjoyed great breakfast great choice and plentiful

A bit far from city center, not the best if you don't...

A bit far from city center, not the best if you don't have a car. That said, the services, the room and the staff were lovely and way up to the standards.

Location, staff, breakfast, comfy bed, bar in fact nothing...

Bathroom could have been more thoroughly clean. Roadworks on A14 at night can make getting back to hotel difficult

Location, staff, breakfast, comfy bed, bar in fact nothing not to like

Extremely pleasant and everything that we needed was provided.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No complaints other than some furniture in the room was looking shabby. It didn't affect our stay.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious and clean. The breakfast buffet had an excellent selection of food.

Overall, a good place to stay

Bedroom area was described as 'quiet', however, on Friday evening our sleep was disturbed by a loud group of people into the early hours of Saturday morning. The vegetarian dinner/bar menu is very limited especially when one item is unavailable.

Reception staff and waiter/waitresses friendly and helpful

Good facilities breakfast was good.

Check in took a while I was traveling with my family the computer crashed which delayed us getting to our room whilst trying to keep a toddler amused 🙄 Also when booking I requested a fridge was told they were only in rooms on first floor so I agreed. However my family had booked rooms on ground floor which all had fridges so I was a little confused 🤔

Good facilities breakfast was good.

Ok
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Ordered porridge from lady in grey suit, appeared to be in charge nothing came. Had to reorder. Weekdays breakfast ending at 9.30 far too early.

Welcome scone

Though it was clear efforts are made to allow visitors a...

Though it was clear efforts are made to allow visitors a clean room, carpet was old with lots of stains, walls had some stains, and couch in the room was dirty.

It was a good stay mainly because of the quality of the service provided by the staff
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The furniture in the room was a bit ourdated and the carpet really dirty with stains -that was really bad. The playground for kids could have had a couple of things more. It would be great to have the option of having dinner or a drink outside but there were two canopies which were not really inviting. Outdoor area could be improved so guests could enjoy it.

The staff was fantastic, everyone was very friendly and made an effort to provide good service. They were very nice and that made a difference!!

Nice peaceful
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Be careful regarding payment..tried to take money before arrived which wasn't the way booked. ..therefore assume accounts at hotel a touch..erm...officious

Quiet location

Overall the room was comfortable.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

That we missed breakfast on the Monday morning due to being told wrong finishing time and we didn’t have hot water on the morning of checking out

Overall the room was comfortable. The staff friendly and easy parking.

Nice to get away good atmosphere.

The food was terrible, we had to send it back. Way too expensive for poor quality. Breakfast was horrid. Needs massive improvements l.

The leisure facilities were amazing the beautician was amazing. Staff very friendly

Harendous
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Arrived at 11.40 pm to be told they had sold my room but had found us room on one of the colleges in Cambridge. Arrived at midnight to find there was one three quarter size bed for 2 6 ft 3inch people.

Food good

Restaurant staff not very attentive, food took ages to arrive. Room OK, but fittings etc a little 'tired', big gap under room door which meant you could hear everything in the corridor at all time of night. Not really what I expected from a 4 star

Food good

Excellent facilities and a nice restaurant make this a good place for a short stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

As it was hot outside the air conditioning was turned up so it made the whole reception area a little too cold. Also the bed was a bit like a trampoline.

Good reception area with a nice bar, and there were great facilities available with the spa and the gym. The room was clean and quiet, and with the Park and Ride nearby was a good location.

Bland beige and bankrupting

In the lovely weather no where to eat only 3outside tables all filthy . Average food at extortionate price 100 for three burgers 3 icecreams is ludicrous. Rooms scruffy tired decor moody staff and not particularly clean . Stay elsewhere

Leaving

Exactly what I expected. Great location. Disruptive guest next door.

The only downside was a noisy guest in the next room as we were in a family room with adjoining door - up making skype calls at 3am - but understand this isn't the hotel's fault!

Good selection available for breakfast - slightly expensive but worth it being all you can eat. Very clean facilities and nicely furbished.

Excellent staff, lovely room and pool area.

Shabby stairway needed refreshing. A tad far from middle of town but bus stop within 6 min walking distance. Taxi £10. Not a big problem for us really.

Excellent staff, lovely room and pool area. Quiet location and lots of greenery. Didn't take breakfast as an extra. Too expensive at £18!

Disappointing and I will not choose to stay there again.

The cleanliness in the room was inadequate (large parts of the carpet were wet). The shower was very poor (not warm enough and a poor flow). The room service food was very poor and expensive - my son had a pizza and I could have bought a better frozen one from the supermarket. The minibar was empty. There were no biscuits supplied with the tea and coffee making facilities - I had to buy 2 biscuits for £1.50. Overall, it was incredibly expensive for what you got.

Location was good for accessing Cambridge centre (by car). Free parking a big bonus.

Th advantage of the property is the parking space and...

The room they initially put us to was not cleaned at all, the second one was tidied up, but the cleanliness was not up to par, there was a used shower cap in between the pillows, and the linens have dirt marks and hair in them.

Th advantage of the property is the parking space and location

Facilities good but restaurant very dissapointing

Food in the evening was very poor Service very slow and food not up to hotel standard very little choice and overcooked when it arrived would have got a better meal at a local pub Attitude of bar staff was also appalling

Facilities were good and breakfast was good

OVERALL A VERY ENJOYABLE STAY

DIDNT FIND THE BED TOO COMFY. THOUGHT THAT THE ENTRANCE TO THE HOTEL COULD BE BETTER SIGNPOSTED.

ROOM & BATHROOM WERE SPOTLESS. BOTH BREAKFAST AND DINNER WERE EXCELLENT. LOCATION WAS ALSO VERY GOOD.

Excellent but don't be put off by the parking notices in the hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Confusing sign for reception on entrance driveway - pointed you straight past the actual reception to the car park. Drove round the hotel twice before I realised you were expected to park and then walk to reception! Pull-in area full of double yellow lines - no indication that you could drop off luggage there. Rather too prominent signs about paying for car parking as soon as you walked in to hotel reception (even before you reached the reception desk). No mention that car parking for hotel guests was free - they just wanted you to register your car. I had to ask at reception when we booked in, otherwise I would still have thought I had to pay. I know that the hotel must get lots of people trying to park when they are not staying, but it didn't seem very welcoming after a 350 mile drive!

Really good meals (evening and breakfast) with excellent staff. Prompt service. Friendly. Quiet.

Mediocre
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Check in gave us the wrong type of room and we went back to ask for separate beds. The glass of drink was not clean, the room was disrepaired, the linen old, the bed not comfortable. The staff did not discount the meal until after we spotted a miscalculation on the bill.

The location is scenic.

convenient for getting in and out of the town center and to the faculty of education for my course.

the person in room next to me had a visitor at 5am in the morning and they were constantly knocking on the door. Therefore, a clear method of getting in touch with room to room numbers with a clear label on the phone on how to do this would be good. There were too many taxi drivers not knowing what they were doing or who they were for so a more organised method would be better.

The bed was comfy and the bathroom was well equipped. The food at dinner and for breakfast was lovely. Lots of variety. There's lots of space to sit and work and meet with friends. The quiet section in the hotel was a nice touch. The sports and spa facilities are great, with classes and sensible opening hours. It was nice to be able to extend my stay.

Decent place for transit requirements with good natural surrounding

Rooms old and aircon not working properly... got warm at night and stuffy so had to open the windows in both rooms ... no lifts and they gave us first floor rooms so had to haul up and down 4 heavy bags

Layout, atmosphere, ambience

Holiday Inn Cambridge
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms are very close together - so much so we could hear the man in the next room talking on his phone (his door led directly into our room - if it weren't for it being dead-locked) It was also a little pricey for the one night stay as well.

It was comfortable as a bed for the night on our journey.

Overall it was a pleasant stay

The room could have been brighter and there were lots of uncollected dirty plates, laundry etc outside rooms and in corridors and it would have helped to have had a lift

The bed was comfy

The breakfast staff were really helpful
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Had to change rooms as we had booked twin rooms and they gave us a double. New room's phone did not work so had to call room service on my mobile.

The breakfast staff were really helpful

Wonderful retreat away

Everything was how it should be.

Comfortable room with space to work. Room service was excellent. The lady who served me is wonderful. Staff on reception were very welcoming.

The fan in the bathroom wasn't working so as there was...
    • Deluxe Room

The fan in the bathroom wasn't working so as there was no window the bedroom as well as the bathroom were steamed up after a shower for a long time

The location was very good and the staff friendly and helpful

We were staying on the ground floor and you could hear very clearly the noise of people moving around from the upstairs rooms

The location was very good and the staff friendly and helpful

Holiday in(n) Cambridge

Mistakes with payment meant I was doubled charged and although I am still waiting for the money to be returned (which was extremely inconvenient), I am told it should be back in my account within 10 days. Mistakes by the hotel should be fixed immediately.

Loved the open spaces surrounding the hotel, you felt like you were in the country but were only a short bus ride (or bike ride) into town. Great pool and spa, friendly check in staff. If it wasn’t for the payment stuff up I would have rated it even higher, perhaps in the 9s.

Hugely disappointing with having to move three rooms in 2 days due to cleanliness.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms at lower grounds are dated.....dirty and not as they are in the photos. Changed into 3 rooms on two days . Went out all day and room not cleaned when we came back !!! Went for a drink a blonde bint no people skills no smile …………………………

Breakfast was the only saving grace, however it was clear staffing levels not good as rude man at breakfast told some guests to chill out...………...as he said they were unstaffed...….!!!

Late May Bank Holiday

No complaints!

On the A14 with easy access to Cambridge from either the Milton Park & Ride or the Newmarket Road Park & Ride. Currently free parking at the Park & Ride with just £3.00 per person return bus ticket. We had an executive room with safety deposit and small refrigerator. Very quiet shady room out of the full sun.

The staff were friendly the hotel was clean, good location...

We had a joining door to the next door room - which was locked but could hear everything. Every word they said and the TV that was on most of the night. Lots of doors In corridor slammed shut and woke me up.

The staff were friendly the hotel was clean, good location from the city centre and nice breakfast.

Great breakfast buffet, staff were very friendly and...

Great breakfast buffet, staff were very friendly and accommodating. As I took my car, it was very quick to get in and out of the city centre and to the local ‘One Stop’.

Quiet, good night's sleep.

The bathroom shower was quite dated and had rust/mildew around chrome faucets. No movie rentals available. Requested "refreshed" room as the first floor has severely dated accommodations. The pricing is very high in comparison to the Holiday Inn in the US...

Quiet, good night's sleep. Great club sandwich. Feel far away from the crowds of Cambridge, but close enough to drive there as well. Lovely horses roaming around in entry field.

Predictable and comfortable with easy access to Cambridge.
    • Deluxe Room

We were on the first floor and given the size of the hotel, it was disappointing that there is no lift. Hefting large suitcases up and down stairs is not fun. We got a great deal on our stay but their listed prices seemed excessive for what it offered and we would not have paid the daily rate if we did not have the accommodation deal.

We liked the size and relative quietness of the room given it is near major roads. Our room was partially protected by the free standing building next to us. The bed was large and comfortable and the temperature of the room was in our control. We did have a spa and a swim and although they are small and at times, crowded, were great after a day walking around the delightful Cambridge. Our breakfasts were plentiful and had sufficient variety to pick from. We were within 10 minutes of a park and drive facility and that made it so much easier to access the city.

. MINI BREAK IN CAMBRIDGE

Room decor jaded and had to use plug away from tea/coffee making as it didn't fit other sockets. Restaurant staff bit morose few smiles with service.

Convenient for getting to Cambridge and Ely. Food was excellent and lots of choice.

Good location, friendly staff, good facilities at the spa.

The room needs updating as in comparison to other 'budget' hotels it wasn't as modern. The bed was uncomfortable and very 'itchy'. Slept on top of the sheets in the end.

Good location, friendly staff, good facilities at the spa.

Leisure facilities ok, staff welcoming and friendly.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms need decorating / updating. No walk in showers for disabled visitors. People waited to long to be seated for breakfast as no me to greet them then they sat anywhere. I returned to my table to find someone else had also started having breakfast despite my cup of tea being full and used dishes.

Friendly staff, clean rooms.

With a little more attention this would be a great place to stay
    • Deluxe Room

The bathroom in our executive room was in need of some rejuvenation. The tiles around the bath controls had obviously been poorly repaired and the tiles on the floor under the hand basin did not shine! Used dishes from room meals were piled up beside a radiator on the landing and along the corridor.

Friendly staff, good service and food .

Excellent stay thoroughly enjoyed

Location was good , staff very friendly and helping specially Lucy at the front desk was quiet helpful. Room was really good me and my partner had a really good time even we were there for only one night

Ideally placed for Cambridge but house-keeping staff need to up their game.

On the Sunday we stayed around till lunchtime and visited Wicken Fen in the afternoon. On our return Sunday evening we found our room unmade, waste bin full, beds unmade, wet towels on the floor (as instructed) and half a toilet roll. As we were leaving the next day we decided to complain at reception. They were very helpful and got housekeeping to sort the room out. On our return the room had been cleaned but still only half a toilet roll and just one face tissue.

Our ground floor room was easy to access.

A little expensive for what it was. Staff changed our room to ground floor in receptions so quite go

See above

Lack of lifts we eventually were accommodated on ground floor. Sound proofing between room/floors noisy neighbours and thunderous tramping above

Parking is free, complementary coffee and paper during the...

Hotel is very far from the city, 20 minutes by taxi, location is good if you have a car otherwise to remote. Taxis are very expensive, prices are between £18 and £25 for a single trip. Bed very soft, room dark and cold so we asked for an extra heather. If you get a room at the end of the corridor you will need to walk a lot! This hotel doesn't have lifts only stairs. Prices at restaurant are expensive and the quality and variety of food is not good. TV doesn't have too many channels and some of them have been recorded like BBC news. WiFi doesn't connect automatically you need to do it daily.

Parking is free, complementary coffee and paper during the morning. Reasonable size of gym and spam area. Reception staff very nice and helpful! Quick check in. Shower great! It has a minibar and kettle.

A comfortable hotel, I would come again :)
    • Deluxe Room

Very comfortable, and good sized room in a quiet location. Very helpful and pleasant staff, lovely spa area. I recommend this hotel. Nice relaxed atmosphere.

Very good

There was not many staff on at breakfast meaning waiting time for a table was longer than expected

The staff were great, i had a late checkin and everything was perfect, exactly what you would expect from a Holiday Inn

5.5
    Nice hotel shame about the booking mess up

The booking was not confirmed with The hotel, they missed off a room, we booked 3 twins and only 2 were registered with the hotel. Please can you explain how this happened?

Location was simple to travel into Cambridge

Comfortable hotel, would stay again.

Bad experience with eating lunch in The Hub area. Only one chef and messed up the order. Has put us off eating there again. Breakfast was ok, but pricy for what we had. Some areas could do with a bit of TLC and lick of paint!!

Very comfortable room in a quiet location. Very pleasant staff. Have stayed here before. Lovely spa area.

Good location and good facilities for families.

Rooms need a bit of an update, especially the bathroom where tiles appear to have been painted over. Makes it look like you're hiding something rather than making improvements.

Good sized room, facilities and location if you are happy to get a bus in to the city. Breakfast had an excellent choice and tasted very nice.

Nice relaxed atmosphere.

First room had scratched dark furniture and a plug socket that didn't got kettle. Asked to be moved and had a refurbished room.

Nice relaxed atmosphere. Made to feel welcome on arrival.

Good

The breakfast menu we asked for boiler eggs on Saturday and was told no by chef and then was told yes it was mis communication and the board needs changing and say what days u can have boiled eggs

Everything was really good