Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen Exhibition Centre 3 stars

Parkway East, Bridge Of Don, Aberdeen, AB23 8AJ, United Kingdom

#10 of 46 hotels in Aberdeen

• Double or Twin Room

All staff were super friendly and professional. This includes, the reception team, hotel employees walking in the corridor and the breakfast waiting team - all very engaging.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Window sealed so hot and stuffy all night. My wife has cancer and suffers side affects from treatment that include hot flushes and a raised temperature so she had a very bad night. Also stains on the bed, noticed in the morning, that looked very suspect, see photo.

Room was clean, spacious and staff were friendly. Had an evening meal which was really good. Big helpings and not long to wait either. Buffet breakfast was gd as well plenty choice. Would definitely stay here again.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Restaurant service terrible. Took 2 hours for burger and chips and a dessert as staff appeared to have forgotten we existed so took forever for dessert order to be taken and forever to get the bill. I would understand if the restaurant was busy but there were only 2 other tables.

Room was good. Check in staff were good.

efficient staff, comfier beds - better value for money - was not worth the price paid - food was disgusting and unappetising.

beds need replaced, staff - hard slog to get them to be funtional, lots of lots opportunities lost due to huge event ongoing - yet hotel not equipped pr manned to accommodate - venue should have been better prepared and welcoming of such income to the hotel. Efficiency was not a strong point

• Double or Twin Room

According to a receptionist Holiday Inn Express have a policy of not providing trays so that guests will take less food from the buffet.

Breakfast arrangements are totally unacceptable. Being a buffet there should be trays to carry the food to a table, My table was about 30 metres from the buffet. I had to carry what I could in my hands to my table - it took 4 trips to carry my orange juice, cereal, cooked food, toast and hot drink to my table. I had partially finished my food when I went to get more tea, When I returned to my table my unfinished breakfast had been removed so I had to make another trip to the buffet to get food to complete my meal. The cleaners then started working with a noisy vacuum with cables strewn around. Apparently guests were asked to carry their used plates to a trolly that had trays on it. These trays were absolutely disgusting covered with sticky food debris. There were obviously not kept clean between trips.

Lumpy bed and pillows. Poor breakfast choice with only 4 cooked items, virtually no vegetarian choice. Service in restaurant in evening very poor, waited 30mins for order to be taken.

Friendly and helpful Staff.

A little far from downtown, but to be expected with location at the Exhibition and Conference Center.

Very kind and helpful staff at Reception desk. Nice and modern facility, large room, comfortable beds and bedding, well appointed bathroom, excellent (free) breakfast with a variety of hot and cold food. Free parking. Excellent value for the money.

• Double or Twin Room

The air conditioning was not working, apparently an ongoing issue. We were not informed of this on our arrival and there were no windows that could be opened, we had an extremely hot and uncomfortable night with very little sleep. The fan in the bathroom was also not working, consequently after having a shower, much needed after the hot night, it was hotter and sweatier than before we went in! Unlike previous visits, staff were not as cheerful and friendly. The staff at breakfast looked particularly frazzled. Another bugbear was the vending machine, although I appreciate it is serviced by an outside company, paying £1.20 for a bottle of water branded Kirkland (from Costco) was a complete rip off!

Clean room and shower room

• Double or Twin Room

The staff were lacking in numbers in and out of the kitchen and no managerial body was in evidence - the barman tried hard but someone had not ordered the drinks supplies, the food took a long time to arrive and the staff running around - felt sorry for them - my first and last visit.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Window did not close or open easily, there was no draught lager left on Saturday night at 8pm.We never found out that the hotel had started doing evening meals until we arrived back from eating in Aberdeen on our last evening.We feel disappointed because we have always liked this hotel

• Double or Twin Room

The room was quite warm as the AC was broken.

Good and very clean hotel. Not the best choice if you are not driving as it is quite far from the city centre, but really good value for money if you have a car. Definitely recommend.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast was poor, bacon wasn't cooked, only scrambled egg, no mushrooms, no tomatoes and instant porrage!

Very clean and comfortable staff v friendly and helpful.

Don't fix what's not broken. Great Hotel.

Beside the Hotel being absolutely perfect location for my needs, the service and the staff where very helpful, friendly and professional. I would highly recommend this Hotel............Fantastic.

The Help they gave us giving us a room after Booking.com didn't contact them t confirm our room. So won't be using booking.com again after using you a fair bit. I am disabled and not having a room booked Stressed me badly.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Room was hot, even when we tried to turn the heating down it was so warm! Pillows a bit hard too

The staff were lovely, our room was clean, breakfast in the morning was fab, great selection of food to have at breakfast. As soon as we checked out myself and my partner were saying that we would definitely come back to this hotel when we stay in Aberdeen again! Just a few minutes drive to the beach and codonas!

Evening meal was limited in choice and not a good standard. Very expensive. Wouldn’t choose to eat there again.

Gave us late check out which made a huge difference for us. Free breakfast.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Brilliant location if you're going to an event at the AECC (as we were). Could stumble out of bed to the venue and then back into bed when it was over!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

When there are more then one person in the room that drinks tea and there wasnt enough milk in the room

The staff were very welcoming friendly the breakfast was very good

• Double or Twin Room

The bed, most uncomfortable bed I'v ever slept in & we could not open window so had to put the air conditioning on & it was so noisy it kept us awake.

Location, convenient for our concert.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

the window in the room was sealed shut, the heatings lowest setting was 16 and this was too hot. We turned off the heating and had to prop the door open to the corridor to allow some fresh air in. the room therefore was very hot and stuffy.

I ordered beef chilli from the concert menu but it didn't state that there would be cheese and sour cream on it. I don't like sour cream so had to scrape this off. It would be better if you had to serve this, that it came in a separate dish as well as the cheese. Not good for allergy/food intolerance sufferers.

The hotel was ideally situated for going to the AECC which is right next door. I loved the room and the bathroom décor was lovely. I especially liked the joinery workmanship which allowed the bathroom door to double up as a toilet door. The breakfast was excellent - good choice and something for everyone.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

We were told on booking in that the resturaunt was fully booked. We were not advised that we could get food at the chevk in area. We ended up ordering a pizza to be delivered. Also after the concert we attended, large crowds of people were allowed into the hotel who were not staying there. It was difficult to get served at the bar and get a seat

Location was excellent

Comfortable, clean room Ideal location if visiting events at the AECC - literally a 30 second walk from door to door Surprisingly nice view from our window on 1st floor We were significantly later than expected checking in - staff were very pleasant and helpful

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Nothing at all all was perfect

Stayed here before last year as near the concert venue. Brilliant buffet breakfast and staff very friendly. Nice hot water for the shower and free wi-fi

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

A few very minor niggles in the bedroom. Bedspread was torn in places. Remote control had obviously not been wiped clean in a while. Handle was missing form the kettle. Also was a bit disconcerted by the extra door that lead to the next room. It was locked but could hear the people next door and probably woke them up by checking it was locked when I arrived at midnight! Would have been nice to have warning that it would be an adjoining room. Supplies were running low at breakfast the first morning (no eggs or toast) and I didn't have time to chase up a member of staff.

About my sixth time staying here and I'm always impressed with the staff. Friendly and obliging. Even just on passing they will say hello which makes such a difference to the feel of the hotel. On checkout they called a taxi for me and were able to give me the estimated cost. Comfy bed with lovely soft cool bedding Generally very clean.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing, if I had to be picky possibly just a little softer pillow.

The Hotel was perfect in every way, clean rooms, great price, excellent staff, perfect breakfast and service.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The "double" bed was far too small and too soft for my liking.

Friendly staff and good sized rooms, particularly the bathroom and shower enclosure which is often unusual in budget chain hotels. Location was superb for the AECC.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The "double bed" was very small and the mattress too soft for my liking.

Fire alarm went off at 2am - was handled well though Shower throws water everywhere - curtain not that useful

Great location next to the arena Breakfast decent Comfy beds Great transport links

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

A few small things that could be improved but no dealbreakers (and sorry if it looks like I'm moaning more than I'm praising, it's just that I'm being a bit more specific here! Was very happy overall): - coffee (since you asked!) wasn't special, instant from a machine, but decent for that. - lift - very noisy and as there was an event on, the two small lifts weren't really enough (especially as only one goes all the way down to the entrance for people without cars / coming from the conference centre). - windows - didn't open, so it was a bit stuffy; bathroom fan wasn't the quickest, either. - air con - seeing as the window didn't open we needed the air con on in the night for keeping the room around 20C and having some air circulating, and it was a bit much for the poor machine, it made a sound like the motor was about to die every now and then which was pretty loud. - mattress - super soft, could've done with one a bit harder. - toilet - very very low, might be an issue for older people / those with joint problems.

Good selection for the breakfast. Decent price. Location next to the conference centre very good. Good access with public transport. Friendly and competent staff. Clean rooms. Good selection of TV channels.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Everything about the hotel is wonderful - the courteous and friendly staff, the delicious breakfast, the comfortable beds and pillows. the value for money. This is always the first hotel I look for when booking in Aberdeen.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Signage could be better - went to next door Holiday Inn instead of Holiday Inn express (one was signposted and the other not at the entrance)

no frills excellent value for money hotel. Good location for the north of Aberdeen and conference facilities. Ample breakfast. Pleasant staff. Free parking

• Double or Twin Room

Stock control needs to be improved in bar. Felt sorry for the trainee member of staff that was on duty when he had to inform everyone that all draught beers (except john smiths) were done. Bar didn't have any brandy either.

Staff friendly and attentive.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The matress was not good. I moved and the wife nearly fell out of bed with the ripple effect.

The location suited us, and it was good value for money. Breakfast was good and more choices than I expected.

Breakfast service let down the otherwise excellent experience. I went down at 8:15 and couldn’t find a table that had been cleared dirty plates everywhere and nowhere to put them the trolley was full. Also no staff around. The buffet hadn’t been topped up a few things had run out. Towards the end of my breakfast staff we’re turning up but in street clothes.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was limited in choice, and very little gluten free and no one to ask for help (despite sign saying to ask staff for help). When I came for breakfast at 8 nearly all the tables were dirty and stacker for plates etc. was full. No staff there. Was told this was due to bus strike which was indeed the case, but found it difficult to believe that there were no staff who could have helped to clear tables. Reception staff seemed distracted and disinterested.

Convenient location

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel room was very cold even with the heating on full! Very noisy - could hear people below and above walking around!

Hotel itself was nice and clean, staff were friendly and breakfast was good!

• Double or Twin Room

Staff were really great . Breakfast was good . Bed little bit too firm as I have back problems , otherwise fine would visit again and recommend it to friends

• Double or Twin Room

We were put into Room 105. Unknown to us this room has a connecting door to the cleaners cupboard which meant we could hear the cleaners going in and out their cupboard all day plus at night. This break was intended to be a restful holiday for my husband as he has been very ill. Unfortunately our rest was broken continually as a result of us being startled by the cleaners goimg in and out. This break was entirely ruined and we feel worse now than before we went to the Hotel. I genuinely feel some goodwill gestures from the Hotel are in order as a result of all this.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The kettle was very poor. It stopped boiling seconds after starting to boile.

The rooms are a good size beds are comfortable. The breakfast was nice. Staff were very pleasant.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

As above.better drink range for 2018 and Def cook breakfast goods better..otherwise all fine for purpose.happily stay again.

For what we needed and it's location it was really good..bar not very well stocked..but no real problems..breakfast bacon and sausages were sadly very poorly cooked..otherwise all fine..

the room wasn't very warm and I couldn't get the controls to improve it

The price of beer was surprisingly cheap; the breakfast surprisingly well stocked. The staff were cheerful and friendly despite being very busy with a concert going on

We felt let down by the waiting times for food. The food itself was of excellent quality and well cooked and presented. I think that the restaurant was under staffed for there being an event on in the exhibition center and the hotel fully booked. Waiting time at the bar after the concert was unacceptable and the bar staff gave the impression of being stressed and unused to coping with large volumes of customers.

We Enjoyed the whole experience.

• Double or Twin Room

Bargain night away, for the price i didn’t expect it to be great. I was wrong, very clean and modern and amazing breakfast. I’ve already booked it again for another event later in the year.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Beds a little small, toilet door tended to swing and slammed our fingers a few times

Room was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Staff friendly. Ampule parking

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast was a fiasco, self service but food not replenished and little choice. Cutlery and crockery also not replenished. Insufficient staff on duty.

Comfortable room, hotel well located for concert at AECC.

no complaints whatsoever

The room was spotless, the bed clean and very comfortable, the breakfast selection excellent, reception very nice, we were very pleased with our experience, thank you.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

There was plenty choice on the buffet breakfast but was disappointed when we arrived at 8.30am to find no hot food - thinking we were waiting for fresh food to arrive the restaurant became busier and after 10 minutes I had to request that the hot dishes be replenished. But when it did arrive it was lovely :-)

We were attending the AECC and therefore your hotel could not have been a better place to stay very comfortable and we appreciated the chef and waiting/bar staff accommodating us mid afternoon by serving us food.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The air conditioning/heating system was really noisy during the night.

The bed and pillows were really comfy. The dinner was beautiful......I had the chicken burger with chips and coleslaw. I liked how the shower room door flipped round and became the toilet door. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Think it was value for money

The room was very cold when we mentioned it at reception they offered us a heater or to change rooms as the heating seemed to be stuck at one temp.

• Double or Twin Room

Could do with trays for breakfast to save repeated trips to the food counter.They may have them but didnt see any.Trouble getting a phone signal (Virgin) on the seaward side of building.Landward side may have been better.Ok reception outside building.Two Holiday Inns next door to each other...went to wrong one at first...my mistake.

Quiet Room...easy parking.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Good location for a gig at the aecc. Decent breakfast. Staff seemed to cope with a busy full hotel. Good room with decent sized towels not those mini ones that so many hotels now use.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

My girlfriend and I visited Aberdeen to attend a Morrissey concert. Our hotel room overlooked the venue which was fantastic. The staff were friendly, helpful and ensured our dietary requirements were met.

• Double or Twin Room

I had to clean the toilet seat as there were stains on there. There was a used razor lying in the shower. We were put in a disabled room where most things are lower down which isn’t great for 2 tall people.

Bed was very comfortable and location is great as it is right next to the AECC where I was at a concert.

• Double or Twin Room

The only thing I can criticise is the bed was far too soft, we prefer it firmer.

The staff were very friendly & helpful. The breakfast was amazing & plenty of choice.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

One night only so had no problems with stay.

Staff were very friendly, room very clean and cosy. We booked as were at concert across road so fantastic location, Breakfast lovely.

Breakfast was tasty.... but even though there was a high turnover for breakfast there should have been ample cutlery cups etc ready to put out 8nstwad if having to wait for clean ones jugs of juice and milk to be replenished.

Very comfortable room and clean

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Theres nothing i didn't like.the staff and hotel are all excellent.

The staff were very nice and helpful.good selection for breakfast and the meal at night was really nice. I love the hotel, it was the second time i have stayed there. Excellent location for going to concerts.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Fantastic hotel clean comfortable rooms staff happy to help and friendly. breakfast included in the price with a good choice to pick from and great place to stay if going to the aecc we where there to see the script and got back to hotel within a cupple of minutes if back in Aberdeen would stay at this hotel agen

I wouldn't have changed anything about the hotel

The room was clean and comfortable the breakfast was nice and hot and cooked perfectly it was so close to the concert itickets was just took a couple of minuets to get back to hotel

• Double or Twin Room

Had to make own porridge which came in packs - yuck. Not a lot of variety. Breakfast buffet too cramped especially if a lot of people arrive at the same time. How I hate self-service buffets. Very limited dinner menu and some of the items were not available.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The thermostat didn’t work and was too hot in night couldn’t turn it off and no vegan sausage or hot option at breakfast for vegans

Nice and cosy with tv and hairdryer

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast was ok but was expecting to have nore options. Unfortunately they ran out of fruit juices when we went for brekfast.

Rooms were clean and bed was confortable. Great location with respect to the beaches.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Surprised the hotel didnt have room service. Window in room didn't open. No mirror at dressing table. Poor selection of snacks in vending machine. Fruit juice at breakfast was very poor quality.

Good water pressure/temperature in the shower. View was nice from our room. Good to see a variety of gluten free options at breakfast.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

We were there for 4 breakfasts. Generally good but no porridge. Cold croissants and no way to heat them up. On 3 mornings something cooked had finished ( bacon/ scrambled egg/ beans/sausage) and it was slow for more to appear. Too slow as I'd made do with what was there. No other cooked breakfast food.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The buffet breakfast (sausages, bacon and eggs) were not good, all the rest of the food was fine though.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was very nice and comfortable with a very large Flat screen TV, which was a welcome surprise!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The rooms were so very clean & comfy it really did fell like home with the big TV not like some small ones you normally get in a room. The view from are bedroom window was lovely, we see the north sea & the supply boats waiting to get into the harbour.

It was a lovely & easy to find , the under ground car park was ideal with the frost night's. The layout of the hotel was really nice & the staff so polite & helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Can’t say a bad word about anything

Customer service great , they let us check in 4 hours early as room was available and offered us extra day of breakfast ,nothing was too much trouble

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

The room was quite cold and despite increasing heating it did not kick in until early hours. Breakfast was slightly chaotic due to how busy it was but staff tried to keep everything topped up. Wasn’t happy when male member of housekeeping opened door and walked in without knocking!!! Thankfully had finished dressing. Lift a bit confusing as one doesn’t go to lowest level for car park.

This is an excellent hotel if attending a concert. Adequate parking and 5 min walk. Reception staff pleasant and helpful on arrival.

Couldn't find any problems

Staff very pleasant,Room was clean,bed comfy,good breakfast,good place to stay if your at concert near by,only couple of minutes across the road, easy place to get to with public transport,bus stops right outside hotel,VG.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Food at breakfast was cold, buffet area to small to cope with number of guests. Also shortage of tables.

Lovely room, friendly and very efficient staff.

Booking into the hotel on a day when it was 3 to 0 minus degrees outside and the room being really cold! It had a heater in it we had to plug in and it took till we were leaving for our show before the room heated up. The bathroom never warmed up at all! We weren't informed we had to leave a keycard in the door to make sure the heater stayed on in the room and we obviously had to leave the heater on overnight on lower heat so got very little sleep as it kept clicking on and off loudly which was very irritable this is ridiculous they should have a heating system in the property no thought for safety if there were to be children in the room! I didn't pay to sleep in a freezer even the staircase within the building was really cold! At least the staff were warm hearted

Great staff comfy bed and brilliant choice at breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

Biggest problem for us was that there was only one lift between the lower ground floor and the ground floor so after the event at the AECC there were so many people waiting we had to queue for a long time for this lift. There didn't seem to be an option of going up stairs, although I think we could have gone back outside and found another way up to the ground floor reception area. If this had been signposted it would have been a great help to a lot of people.

We gave up waiting for desserts at dinner but the dining room was really busy early on due to the event ( Michael Ball and Alfie Boe) at the AECC. We couldn't wait any longer for dessert because we were going to the event too. A member of staff told us that it was the first time the hotel had served evening meals so considering all those things we thought the staff did really well and were very pleasant.

Had read in previous reviews that the breakfast was not very good, I have to disagree, it was not magnificent but was good. The staff were all very friendly, chatty and helpful, thoroughly enjoyed my stay