Reviews of Holiday Inn Express London - Epsom Downs 3 stars

Langley Vale Road, Epsom, KT18 5LG, United Kingdom

#2 of 10 hotels in Epsom

Staff were extremely helpful and went above and beyond their duties to ensure that my conference meeting went well and all were catered for. A big thank you to Blu on the front desk , you were so helpful!

Not 'didn't like' but suggestions for improvement: 1. Provide more/better Vegetarian / vegan breakfast alternatives; 2. Offer slightly later finishing times for breakfast

Location: Apparently the hotel is on the former site of the stables used by the racehorses taking part in the races. The side of the hotel is directly beside starting gates

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the room was very clean and comfortable. breakfast was very nice but we would have liked more choice with the hot food e.g. fried eggs, hash browns, tomatoes or mushrooms.

Despite the large bedroom there was only a very small standard double bed. Extremely bad night’s sleep as a result. Only reason I would fault this hotel but a pretty fundamental part of the overall experience.

Great location next to racecourse. Nice views and good pub opposite. Plenty of parking, nice bar/lounge area. Good breakfast included. Large bedroom.

Food was excellent. Great location as we attended a wedding reception at the queens stand. Friendly staff at all times we had small children with us they loved it too.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast choice was good. However, I prefer to have tea and coffee served at the table or facilities to make a pot of hot drink, rather than having to keep carrying a cup at a time across a room.

The location was excellent-enhanced by the sunny weather-with views over the Racecourse to the Downs. No lunchtime facilities, but a good pub with a garden close by.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No mirror near plug socket to do makeup and roller hair Appreciate why no smoking in the rooms but there was no shelter outside for us outcasts- smokers!

The staff were efficient and unobtrusive,the two door in and out lifts were a good idea and a good size.

The non-slip rubber mat in the shower was covered with black mould and previous guests' hair. The mat was not replaced nor cleaned despite multiple requests over several days (even at the check-in desk).

A nice, modern hotel, right next to the race course, very quiet, good-sized rooms. Room clean but see the -ve section. Reasonable breakfast. Free car parking next to the hotel.

Despite telling reception that we were not part of some wedding group, we were given a room amongst them and as a result got absolutely no sleep or rest. Ideally, a refund would be due. cause that ruined my stay.

Conveniently Located

The evening food in the hotel was awful.I ordered Lasagne and it was dried out and hard.When I mentioned it to the waiter he just said “I’m sorry about that ! My husband had a burger but for the same price we had a delicious burger in the restaurant nearby.

The food in the 2 restaurants near the hotel were really good. They were within walking distance which great.

When we arrived we were told we had no booking even though we had email confirmation, it was on the booking.com app and I had rang earlier to confirm our relatively late arrival (9:30pm) - it took 45 minutes before a key for the rooms was released to us - it was obvious it was an admin error and this could have been dealt with without us having to stand at reception. Some apology was made afterwards but didn't make up for the very poor initial impression.

Breakfast was very basic - just bacon/cheap sausage/beans/scrambled egg for cooked choices - no mushrooms, tomato, etc -

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Some bottled water in the rooms?

Cooked breakfast a bit limited, especially if, like me, you don't like sausages! Otherwise good. Some fresh fruit salad (other than berries) would also be nice.

Noise of a machine/system of some kind outside the window on the third floor all night. Staff did apologise and I requested a room change for the next night. very poor shower in the first room.

Friendly staff. Room was changed for second night as hardly slept on the first night due to a very noisy machine (air conditioning/venting system?) outside the third floor window so moved rooms for the second night. Good breakfast.

Was cold in the room I was on tried to do everything to turn it on even had reception come and have a look. They said give it a few mins still didn’t work.

That staff wasn't always available, how expensive the room was and check out timing.

How comfy the beds were, breakfast had a good choice and bar located in hotel.

Just didn't want to leave!

The staff were so pleasant and helpful. The room had great views over the adjoining stables yet, in the distance, we could see the sun shining on The Shard and could pick out other London landmarks. The mix of city and country was both interesting and unusual.

Poor internet, location is far away from everything so you need a car. Hotel has no food available on weekends and during the week only evening. Food not good either. No body lotion. Eggs for breakfast smells off.

Bright room, breakfast. Refill on coffee, tea or hot chocolate for breakfast only. Machine has some sort of artificial milk or sweetener though which had my tummy rumbling. Nice Cider. Beautiful field across from the hotel. Nice view from that side.

I don’t like being charged £30 on my credit card for items I may potentially buy, I would rather pay for things as and when I buy them

The staff were extremely helpful and the breakfast was decent

Bed a little small. Choice of pillows would have been great. Shame that there was a power cut that meant my husband showered in the dark and it temporarily locked us out of our rooms - soon resolved.

Scrambled eggs were lovely. Views were wonderful. Accessibility was good as traveled with elderly relative who has mobility issues.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast served until 10.30. It would have been nice to have a little longer in the morning for breakfast.

The lady stocking the breakfast was very friendly and helpful. The people on the desk also very helpful. It was lovely to be able to have a walk from the hotel.

My room had a very unpleasant smell. The cleaner came back and sprayed the carpet with a freshener but this did not alleviate my sense of there being unpleasant reasons for the smell which had also permeated the bed somewhat. Reception were great and gave me a new room with no fuss but the icky sensation of the previous room didn't leave me for quite awhile.

Cleanest hotel we've ever stayed in. Comfortable beds, everything worked: TV, hairdryer, lights, heating; staff friendly & helpful; breakfast great with enough choice.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rowdy group took over reception area in evening Air Conditioning too loud. Kept us awake first night Turned it off for rest of stay. Would have preferred a king size bed. Double a little cramped

Parking good Not too many business people at the time we stayed Plenty of room to park. Breakfast choice very good Room/Bathroom kept very clean Reception staff friendly.

There wasn't anything we didn't like. Next time though I would book a room with a bigger bed.

The staff were polite and friendly on arrival. Throughout our stay they were on hand to attend to our needs. Breakfast was yummy, everything you could wish for. Excellent choices provided. Hotel very clean.

Ambiguous website. Booked double room for two nights. Instead given two double rooms for two nights and charged accordingly. We are senior citizens and feel angry especially as we were offered no rebate. This has spoiled our visit and we will not return to Holiday Inns.

Pleasant aspect from window over the racecourse. Lovely shower.

The lighting in the room was not good - it felt v dark even during the daytime.

Room and bathroom very clean and comfortable. Friendly and helpful staff Nice breakfast Ideal location for our purposes with plenty of parking v close to the hotel entrance. Very good value.

I don't like duvets but that's not the hotel's fault.

Right across from Hyde Park. Central Line tube station (Queensway) right down the street. Great restaurants nearby. Quiet hotel. Have had good luck with Doubletree before and this one did not disappoint.

STILL NO CHANGE WITH THE PILLOWS. NOT VERY NICE TO LAY YOUR HEAD ON . SHAME NOT UP TO THE STANDARD OF EVERY THING ELSE IN THIS HOTEL. WE BRING OUR OWN PILLOWS.

FRIENDLY STAFF. GREAT LOCATION.GREAT BREAKFAST CHOICE.

The quality of the loo paper.

Superb beds spacious room attentive staff and a great breakfast. A pleasant location too (which I remember as the Paddock when I lived in Langley Vale). I would certainly stay there again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We prefer rooms to the rear. For the money we couldn't fault it.

Reception helpful. Self help breakfast nicely laid out with good choice options. Plenty of room in dining area and reception to chill. High cleanliness standards in room and bathroom. 32" TV. Parking easy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed too small for two with a dip in the middle. Breakfast only just acceptable. ..sausages were terrible abd food was not replenished quickly.

The door to the toilet.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Extend breakfast to include bigger selection of eggs ie poached or fried, just simple things

Relaxing quiet location which allowed walks across the Downs and into Epsom.

Pillows were hard as a rock and the shower was really old and definitely in need of an overhaul so I couldn’t have a shower in the morning after a horrible nights sleep on hard pillows....

The location and the breakfast was good

I was lost on my way to the hotel. The staff supported me with a call to guide me to the door. Road closed affected my sat nav for direct location.

The staff support. Breakfast was excellent. Room warm and very clean. Great value for money.

Only thing would be - when we arrived apart from crisips/ chocs after a journey a sandwich ( vending machine if nothing else) would have been nice - we were going to a party later so was but hungry

Bed very comfy - breakfast very good - thought it was continental so pleasantly surprised to have bacon/ sausage/ beans / scrambled egg as well as cereal fruit / toast etc etc

Got very little sleep, mostly due to the pillows being extremely hard:( The note by the side of the bed advised there was one soft and one hard pillow, however neither pillow was nowhere near soft.

Cleanliness, decor and professionalism of the staff excellent.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing excellent well looked after hi

It was a good all round experience staff and accommodation 1st class the were very helpful couldn't have been better thank you very much

No fried egg on toast option for breakfast for my wife. That's all she has for breakfast so she had to make do with an apple.

Good sized quite Room with Good English Breakfast for me in the morning

• Standard Double or Twin Room

For breakfast there wasn't a choice of eggs.

Ideal location for walking the Epsom downs and a pleasant drive exploring the Surrey hills. Overall it was an enjoyable weekend.

Didn't have any problems. We were travelling a long way to a funeral in Kent and the accommodation suited us very well. Thank you.

Pleasant staff, bar available, roomy entrance and breakfast accommodation. Had not used a Holiday Inn Express before and was very impressed, nice to have an area to relax in rather than having to stay in the room as in Premier Inn and Travelodge.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No telegraph paper available. PS Reference this questionnaire I was accompanied by my WIFE (not partner)

Nice easy style. Good walking just outside. good 2 day price.

They caused me stress on check in by giving me the wrong room and then saying I didn't have a reservation. Mixed up my room and my son's room. Only scrambled eggs and no alternative offered. Breakfast was a bun fight. Woman replenishing food curt and rude when we asked for anything, eg no bacon availability and she just kept saying it's coming madam in a very unfriendly way, like the customer was a nuisance for asking. Breakfast area very busy and noisy, with people pushing and shoving.

Lovely comfortable bed Super towels Great view Easy parking Good breakfast Very clean and modern

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Large toenail found on floor yuk! Had to request another bath towel as only one left on day two and there was two of us. Card entry didn't work and I didn't like the fact we were the ones going up and down to reception trying to sort it out, after a tiring day you expect the staff to sort this kind of problem.

Breakfast was really good.

The noise of drunken people late at night and children running up and down the corridor was not nice for us.

The beds are comfy, the breakfast was delicious.

Shower weak. Towels a bit well worn and hard. Poor tea and coffee in the room. Overlooked the carpark

Good location. Staff friendly. Easy parking Clean Quite

Bar / Barsnacks disappear at weekends - inconvenient given the remoteness of the hotel. Bar area in general is too open - like eating / drinking in an aircraft hangar.

Good choice of hot and cold breakfast. Large room with enough seats (rarely seen). Bathroom kept clean and room always tidy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The male staff seemed taciturn and withdrawn, preferring to ignore guests. Not even a token miniature piece of soap in the bathroom. Insufficient storage space for two.

The female receptionist was friendly and helpful

Rooms were clean Location was perfect for why we booked Breakfast was good Staff were friendly My partner and I had an even in the Queens Stand on Epsom Race Course so the location was perfect. The room was clean and had and iron and hairdryer which was graat too. I would recommend to stat at this hotel

Because of the overuse of air on public areas corridors did not have a fresh smell. They should open all the doors to the outside at least twice a say

Very smart looking venue. Staff friendly and competent

Comfortable, modern room with plenty of space even with a travel cot up. Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Full breakfast included which exceeded our expectations, something for everyone.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have liked to be able to have evening dinner but it was not available. So I had to go out of the hotel. Not convenient, especially in the rain.

Bed very comfortable. Shower room excellent. Excellent standard of cleanliness. I did not have breakfast as I had my own diet food.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Crossing the road between hotel and restaurant The drinks glasses and snack packets were not cleared up in the bar area after the customers had finished.

Position of hotel to the racecourse and nearest pub/ resteraunt

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Towels in room somewhat tired and ragged need replacing.

Warm welcome from reception member of staff (Pearly) Room was available earlier than expected to check in. Beds comfortable Tea/coffee facilities in room much appreciated. Breakfast varied options and tasty.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location - right next to the racecourse. The breakfast was better than expected and the staff very friendly. Bar menu didn't suit us but pub on the racecourse was an easy walk and very good.

No porter service, leaving no choice but to move heavy luggage from the car, using the only trolly available into the hotel and along corridors in which duvet and pillows, hoovers and cleaning trollies served as obstacles. The Breakfast staff were quite abrupt, on seeking assistance. Hot food items appeared to be dry, overcooked and unappealing. Sausages and bacon. The scrambled eggs were luke warm and seemed undercooked!! Housekeeping lacked the ability to communicate in English, even the basic level.

The access to and parking was good

check in was very good, very quick and everything explained. room very clean, I noticed the curtains very clean breakfast excellent , great choice and presentable.

Cross the road and you have fabulous walk across Epsom Downs and access to the race course. A great leg stretch after a car journey, and able to see the last race set off. Rooms were very comfortable, windows that open or efficient A/C. Pleasant, airy reception area and help yourself breakfast.

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about the hotel or the surrounding area we will definitely be staying at this accommodation in the future. My children and I really enjoyed our stay and said we would like to stay for longer next time.

the location was really good for us the staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms clean and comfortable. There was an excellent pub/restaurant within 5 minutes walking distance and other pubs serving food nearby over all a excellent experience.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had to keep asking for more milk, there wasn't enough choice of teas in the room in fact there was only enough for one cup each. There isn't an extractor in the bathroom. Although there was a varied breakfast, if you didn't like scrambled egg there was no other choice, no mushrooms, no tomatoes,

It was in a good location for the local pub, and a walk. We actually had a sofa bed in the room which we both could sit on, instead of only one chair.

Perfect location right on the Epsom race course with views over to the London City skyline and the other war over the downs. Brilliant pub "the rubbing house" one minute walk, right next door with gorgeous food at low prices for this standard. Staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful as were the pub staff. Loads of free parking outside the door. Will be visiting again, thanks all, D and M 😁

The Room I was staying in ( Room 55 - don't book it!!) has some sought of generator that kicks in during the early hours and if it wasn't for the fact that I had some earplugs with me I think it would have proved very difficult to get back to sleep. I contacted the hotel about it and they said they were sorry that and would investigate. My friend who was staying in room 57 and had no issues with noise told me at breakfast that he had read reviews mentioning the problem. I suspect it is a known issue at the hotel and I am not happy with the way they dealt with my complaint.

The Hotel was well situated for Epsom races. The bar prices were reasonable. I enjoyed the breakfast. The room and the hotel in general was nice and clean

The reception staff could have been more welcoming. The upstairs corridors needed hoovering & were quite poor in places. The room (141) had not had the main rubbish bin emptied from the previous occupant & the carpets needed hoovering. Meagre tea & coffee supplies were in the room, when there are two people sharing 2 x teabags & 2x coffee sachets are simply not enough.

Lovely location overlooking the Epsom Downs & Racecourse. Beds were comfortable & the room & bathroom was adequate as expected. The public area was spacious & good. The breakfast was varied and good quality.

Can't really fault it other than to say the usual that we all would like room rates etc to be cheaper.

Had a great overnight stay at a 3 star Holiday Day Inn Express Hotel. Staff friendly, room very clean, bed extremely comfortable and slept well. Very enjoyable breakfast!

Wish hotel didn't use shower curtain in bathroom. Although it looked clean, there was a slight mouldy smell. It just isn't very fresh and modern having that in a hotel bathroom.

My only niggle is that the air con is noisy. For some reason it was quiet on the first night but we were told that nothing could be done about the noise which I accept

The hotel is well located for access, easy to find and with great views over the racecourse

We expected an evening meal but the restaurant was closed! How can that be? After a long drive in very bad weather, we needed a meal. Don't remember if this was mentioned on the website.

Bed very comfortable, room excellent, shower excellent (I'm disabled). Breakfast very good.

The beds were a bit small as the sofa bed was very uncomfortable even with extra bedding which I asked for.

The location was well placed as we were being hosted at Epsom race course. Staff were very attentive in particular the night staff provided a great service.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Was given a double adjoining room when we checked in with a disabled bathroom. Didn't ask for this. Was told booking.com hadn't specified wheather we wanted twin or double room. Pretty sure I had asked for a double. Was ok too start with but after being in the room for an hour, the other guests in the adjoining room checked in and we could hear their conversation and music quite clearly. So went to reception and said we would like to move even though we thought we'd have to move to a twin room. But no moved to a double room room. So not sure why we didn't get this room in the first place. Reception staff really friendly and helpful though and sorted another room really quickly.

Very comfortable bed. Air con available too. Good breakfast menu.

The water in the dispenser machine tasted/smelt mouldy, so informed the catering staff and it would be addressed

Breakfast was excellent every pallets catered for

The only thing that would have been nice is to have biscuits with the complimentary tea /coffee but not really a massive issue.

The entrance hall/bar area was very modern and clean, staff were very helpful and breakfast was excellent . Room was spacious and very clean and bed was very comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Slow to clear tables in breakfast area. Meant those arriving later for breakfast were faced with the majority of tables not having been cleared.

Air conditioned room.

All good

It was right near the race course and in the morning we could see archery taking place which is a hobby of both myself and my partner. The whole setting was lovely.

Breakfast very good apart from the mixed berries. Not at all a healthy choice as it should be. Berries came in a very sweet syrupy juice. Might as well just have several spoonfuls of sugar instead.

Good location, helpful, friendly staff, spacious accommodation. Clean and tidy. Breakfast included and can accommodate 3 adults in one room. Ideal for family.

Extremely weak coffee.

Comfortable room, helpful staff, varied choices at breakfast, great location opposite the race-course, easy parking and nearby pubs to eat.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast wasn't very good, especially the cooked breakfast wasn't very tasty, not enough tea & coffee in the room , & coffee in the breakfast area wasn't good ether!