Reviews of Holiday Inn Express London - Watford Junction 3 stars

19 Bridle Path, Watford, WD17 1UE, United Kingdom

#8 of 23 hotels in Watford

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Easy for Watford Junction Station, Clean and great service. I had booked 2 rooms. We had arrived early and expected to wait until late at night to actually access our rooms as we were going into London, but they were available straight away. This was a huge bonus.

Honestly...can’t think.

Perfect location for catching the Harry Potter bus to Warner Bros Studios, which is why we chose it (having travelled from Cumbria) - also easy walking distance from the station. We had two ‘family rooms’. The extra fold down (double) bed did take up space but it was what we needed, and great value. Good bed, excellent pillows, and the room/bathroom were very clean - helped by the recent refurbishment. All decorated in contemporary style/colours. The kids loved it. A surprisingly good breakfast offer, which set us up for the day. The staff we encountered were all very pleasant and helpful.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Limited parking spaces and being charged £5 for overnight parking.

Hotel very clean and modern in appearance. Very nice appearance in general. The room was excellent, no noise from nearby train station at any time. The bathroom was also brilliant as it was compact but well laid out with a lovely large walk in shower.

• Twin Room - Disability Access with Roll Shower - Non-Smoking

The sausages at breakfast were probably my only criticism. They looked good. But tasted of poor quality.

The room was spotless and it seemed as if everything was new including the beds and towels.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

More t-bags, sugar, milks, etc in the room. Would of liked fried eggs and hash browns with breakfast, sausages were awful. Would be good if take away cups were laid out for people. Access to the drinks machines 24/7 would be a great bonus to save going to room to make drinks and bring back downstairs when it’s nice to sit in the reception lounge, especially for the kids when adults are having an alcoholic drink as you’d still be making money & not everyone would use it but after paying for a meal and drinks it would be nice to have free drinks on offer.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful night and day. The free breakfast was more choice than we expected and the ‘grab & go bags are a great idea’.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

chicken a bit dry on the evening meal but rest of it lovely.

To be honest shocked at how good the facilities were for what we had paid. Breakfast great. We had an evening too and although the chicken was a bit on the dry side the pizzas were auperb.

• Twin Room - Disability Access with Roll Shower - Non-Smoking

The entrance to the hotel from Bridle Path was confusing as you had to go around the hotel to get there. Much better to walk around the main road to entrance.

Even though it's practically next to the rail line hardly heard any trains passing as I'm a very light sleeperand the least little noise wakens me up. 5min walk to Watford Junction Train/bus station.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room was situated right next to the railway plus the soundproofing between the rooms was poor. The aircon also wasn't very effective and the room was too hot overnight (exasperated by the fact we couldn't open our window because of noise). Neither me or my partner had a good night's sleep.

Really friendly and helpful staff, great parking facilities and really close to the bus to catch to Harry Potter studios and the Watford Junction train station for services into London. Room was clean and had all basic facilities. Breakfast was cheap and good (even for a vegan). Great choice of take-aways nearby and the hotel allows you to take them into your room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Clean rooms. Perfect location to visit the Harry Potter Studios (a 2 min walk to Watford Junction where the bus would pick you up). Breakfast was perfect, a good selection of food.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Winter Duvet provided too hot to use. Receptionist on arrival less than helpful bordering on surly

All very good, breakfast excellent, exceed our expectations, daytime staff extremely helpful and friendly

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The toilet didn't flush in the morning. The cistern wouldn't fill with water. Reported it to reception.

Lovely large clean bright room. Plenty of lights in the room a lot better than some other brands of hotels. Good self serve breakfast.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Perfect, clean, quiet, comfortable, value for money hotel! Decorated very well in a modern style. Lovely breakfast too! Excellent location! Exceeded our expectations! I would definitely recommend it. Keep it up!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I found breakfast expensive. We stayed in the holiday inn express 4min across the road the next night where the room was cheaper and breakfast was included.

Lots of varied restaurants within a short walk

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Would have liked a safe. Had food one night in the hotel because we were rushing. It took quite a long time to arrive. My chicken was ice cold in the centre so i didn't eat any more but did get sick not long after. In the hotels defence I didn't have time to complain to them, I am sure it was a tiny hicup and would have been sorted Asap.

Location is excellent, great town, close to London and the town centre has great amenities.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The location being right next to the railway wasn’t ideal. The trains ran late and started early, as did the construction. It was so loud in our room we thought the window was open but it wasn’t. Sound proof windows should be an investment made to this hotel

The cleanliness of the hotel and our room was spot on. The staff were friendly although, we had up to 3 people trying to check us in at one point - not sure why. Breakfast choice was good and staff in the morning were nice.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel parking was poorly accessible the staff were not very helpful. The surroundings near the hotel and car parking were poorly lit and looked like a very shady area ... was suprised that my car wasn’t broken into during the night

It was a convenient location near the station ... however you need to make the location via google maps more accurate as we had to drive around the neighborhood looking for the hotel

• Standard Double or Twin Room

After we checked out of the hotel, we received a call from them stating we were being charged £250 for a food stain on the carpet. At no time did we eat any food in the room, and as well as possible fraud, the fact that without permission they took the cash from our account, without providing evidence means i will never stay in either a holiday inn or holiday inn express. I will be making a formal complaint about this hotel and will advise everyone i know to avoid the place.

The location was ok for our needs but everything was secondary to the below comment.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I chose the hotel for its proximity to the Warner Bros Harry Potter Studio tour as a party of us were travelling down and staying in the hotel the night before, we had a lovely welcome from the staff, our rooms were next to each other and very clean, we had our evening dinner which was nice and breakfast was great. Perfect location if getting the train in and it took us 15 minutes to drive to the studio. wonderful time, the elder gentleman at the front desk was so lovely and helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was asked to pay the price of the room when I arrived, even though I had already paid previously. However, the staff were quick to rectify their mistake once I made them aware, which was appreciated.

Very comfortable room and very clean.

No fridge in the room.

Great with hot English breakfast. Lots of drinks to choose and the breakfast can be grab and go! The location is great as it is close to the watford junction station with 5 min walk

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed very hard and air conditioning unit very loud which the mixture of the two meant a bad nights sleep.

The location is fab! We were going to HP studios so amazing location for that as right near the HP bus pick up. Also we forgot our toothpaste and reception gave us a freebie!

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

There could have been more choice on the menu as it was very limited, they didn’t do sandwiches/toasties or even kids meals, so eating late I had to opt for a jacket potato and my daughter who is a very fussy eater had to have chips only.

Staff were really friendly and helpful and the room was spotless, beds were comfy and there was tea and coffee facilities in the room.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Restaurant/breakfast area is very small for the size of the hotel. Take note of the busy times they advertise on the posters to minimise waiting.

This is my second stay here and the property is always clean and the rooms are modern and very comfortable. Staff are always friendly (even put a banner and balloons up around the breakfast table as I requested for my little boys birthday). Location for the Warner Bros studio Tour is ideal, with the Harry Potter bus pick up point outside. WiFi throughout the hotel (including the rooms) was extremely useful. Excellent value for money.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I could hear everything in the rooms either side of me like light switches getting put on and doors being opened and I asked for my room to be cleaned an my sheets or pillow cases didn’t get changed.

The phone in the room was a good tool

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Guests in adjoining room where noisy through the night resulting in a poor nights sleep.

Close to railway station and tour bus for warner bros studios.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We couldn't fault anything the shower room was amazing loved the fact you could leave the blue light on so when you got up in the night didn't have to put the main light on. Very comfy brilliant value.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

One night people nearby were fighting or partying and it went on until after two a.m. I couldn't be sure which room or I would have called reception. On arrival, one young lady was very nice and the other unfriendly. Otherwise staff was very good.

Room so dark and normally quiet that we slept very well. Croissants for breakfast were as good as in France. We should have reserved a king bed, however.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The only thing that was bad for me was the room next door to us were banging all night, it kept me awake most of the night, when mentioned to reception the next day they said I should of reported it, which I know I should of done but really didn’t want to go all the way down to reception at 3am to complain......I recorded it for them to listen to but they wasn’t interested...

It was a very friendly environment, very very clean and comfortable, food was amazing, I had the soup of the day in the evening, needed to know what was in it and the information was found out and given to me, breakfast was also amazing

Nothing was all brilliant

I stayed with my 7 year old as we was visiting London and Harry Potter studios for his birthday, the hotel was fantastic very friendly staff the room was spotless very clean the food was great and in a brilliant place for where we needed to go.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The first room we were allocated wasn’t even cleaned from the previous guests, the bed was left unmade with marks and hairs and thrown all over, and there were several takeaway bags left stinking the room out.

The breakfast was outstanding, such a wide selection, the staff were all so friendly and polite and check in and parking was easy. Also the location couldn’t have been any better and closer to the station!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room 110. Had an odd not nice smell everything we came back into room though. Think may have been sink drain. Went away after opening window for 5 mins or so

Lovely brekkie. Comfy clean room and perfect to visit Harry Potter tour.

it was too warm everywhere! The bed-settee had made up in our double room but we didn't need it and it made the space very cramped. there was nothing on our booking to indicate we needed an extra bed.

Breakfast was excellent, staff were lovely

Can't think of anything.

The staff were friendly and professional. Everything was clean and tidy. The room was small but very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

the breakfast was not up to standard at all and on the first morning there was only beans available when i arrived down at 9am even though breakfast goes on till 10.30am at the weekend.room etc was fine but i's suggest getting breakfast off site

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Awkward to find and crazy security. You couldn't go up in the lift without a key but you could go down or up and down the stairs without one. Parking is pricey too for overnight but fine as long as you drive away before 11am otherwise better to look elsewhere for reasonable 24hr parking.

Lovely shower, beautifully clean fresh room, centrally located for Watford junction and the Court

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Irrelevant question, everything was great.

I enjoyed everything! The room was immaculate on arrival, the staff were pleasant and welcoming. The food for breakfast was a great choice and being a vegetarian, they had many suitable options and stated they would do vegan option on request!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I booked a doble room for 2 people but the sofa was opened and prepared to sleep( for a extra person). We could not use the desk or close the cortains because we couldn’t access with the sofa.

Spanish staff was very helpful and nice. Good breakfast

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

We stayed here as we were doing the Harry Potter studio tour. Hotel is in the perfect location, only 10 mins from the studio. Hotel is nice and clean, beds comfortable. Plug sockets beside the beds. Staff are helpful and friendly.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Sadly food options were scarce in evening but other than that no complaints.

Clean, great room and bathroom. Near train station which was ideal for us. Staff very welcoming and helpful.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Had dinner there and limited menu and our first two choices were unavailable. Asked for top floor room and was given 2nd floor so was quite noisy.

Hotel was clean and staff were friendly. Location was good for where i needed to be close to the station

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Didn’t have a bath, and the breakfast was limited, no hash browns no tomatoes no mushrooms Also limited on storage space, no draws for underwear etc just all had to be on display really

Bed was very comfy, shower was nice and perfect location of the TV being on the wall

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room a little warm and road-noise meant opening the window wasn't ideal.

Great sized room, excellent wifi. Breakfast was particularly good - nice variety.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Nothing, I was very happy with our stay

Perfect location for us to go to the Harry Potter studios and then to spend the day in London the day after! Incredibly close to the train station and was only £11 each to get to London and back on the train :) was really good that I could leave my car there all day even after check out. I was very impressed with the comfort and cleanliness of the hotel, the breakfast was great too! Would definitely stay here again on another trip to London

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The gentleman that checked us out allowed us to keep the car there for a few extra hours with no additional charge. My first holiday inn visit and I’ll definitely use again. Food was lovely. Bed very comfy. Room excellent. Bathroom new. No complaints at all! Excellent location for us, close to centre. Close to train station.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

Staff were very friendly and helpful. My niece has a allergy to milk and soya and when I asked the staff for an alternative for her, they very kindly went to the local shop for her to buy a replacement. This was very kind of them and it meant my niece was able to have a good breakfast before we checked out. Thank you for your friendly and helpful attitude, and understanding

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Ok for me it was nice a quite ( I'm part deaf! I really am) but for the wife who isn't the Trains running by (Watford Junction is only 5min away and the track runs very close to hotel) she found a little to much and had on and off sleep from 5 onwards, definitely a case for triple glazing but please don't let this put you off you might find it doesn't disturb you at all...

Everything! The property has just been refurbished and it's excellent, lovely room, bath room and very comfortable bed couldn't ask for more, location was excellent for London and of course Harry Potter Studio Tour which was also bloody excellent! Oh and the staff were very friendly and had a excellent breakfast to start day off and one last thing free WiFi unlike the Hilton York which wanted to change me £12! But that's another story......

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Restaurant menu was very limited - especially for a vegetarian like me. Food was just okay. Similarly, the breakfast offering was limited. Food was the only thing that let this hotel down

Comfortable room and lovely bathroom with fabulous shower. Everywhere was exceptionally clean and great location for Watford Junction Station. Would not hesitate to stay here again

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

We booked this Hotel by accident having stayed at Holiday Inn Watford previously which is much easier to find and easier to get into from the car park especially on a snowy, windy day.

This is obviously the older of the two Holiday Inn's but the staff were helpful and friendly and the room was clean and comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Next to Railway track and poor soundproofing.Had people in next room talking all night .no sleep.Complained to staff nothing done.

Clean room all facilities needed

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the milk for the tea was off/out of date

facilities provided within the room additionally included choice of pillows, mobile phone for travellers and toiletries. Parking was available for a small charge.

Really close to the station, friendly and helpful staff, good sized rooms and en-suites, great breakfast, luggage storage available. We were going to Harry Potter Studio Tour and this hotel was ideal.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

As the hotel is very close to the train station, one can be bothered a bit by the noise of the trains passing through the station, but it was very manageable (did not wake us up both nights).

Great location near the train station and bus transit center (very convenient to catch the shuttle to go the Warner Brothers studio tour). Awesome breakfast. Spacious and clean room. Really worth the money!

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

1. The room temperature was too cold and when I requested a heater I was told one would be delivered but was later told all heaters were being used by other guests so my family felt cold throughout our stay. 2. The evening meal we ordered in the restaturant took over 30 minutes to arrive and the mushy peas turned out to be just garden peas.

1. The croissants were delicious! 2. The use of a mobile phone in our room was a very nice touch! 3. The staff were professional and courteous. 4. The room was very well presented and clean. 5. The location is very convenient for public transport. 6. Our room was very quiet which was much appreciated.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff were not amazingly happy. They did their job, but didn't seem to interested. When we left just a cursory goodbye.

Although the location (Watford) isn't great the hotel was really nice. Great room and surprisingly good breakfast. Very close to the party we were going to so ideal. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Can’t think of anything.

The breakfast was just great - the bacon and sausages were tasty, and the scrambled egg was like proper egg, not reconstituted. The room was very well designed and well thought out and very clean. Being able to check in early on arrival, and leave our luggage the next day whilst we went shopping, was just fantastic. The location, so near to the train station was so convenient and the big shopping centre was also within easy walking distance. The staff were lovely and very helpful.

Couldnt fault the hotel for anything. However the food in the local pub the flag was absolutely awful. Should have definitely stayed at the hotel for dinner.

Excellent stay the hotel exceeded our expectations. Breakfast was brilliant, rooms very spacious and modern. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

A shower cap would have been nice.

Arrived early, rooms available without question, and linen immediately provided for the sofabed in one of the rooms for the little boy. For budget accommodation, the included breakfast was amazing, something for everyone!

Insufficient Car park lot. Lot size very small - suitable for small size car but not for 7-seater family car.

Connecting rooms. Room size just right for family of 5 with connecting room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The beds appeared quite small & the duvet was way too thick which made it uncomfortably hot

The staff were very friendly. It was super clean & great location for us

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The location was awful. So loud so much traffic and was hard to get to sleep. The windows sounded as though that were open and the bins of the property were being emptied into lorry at 5amish. So early and loud.

It was modern and comfortable and the staff were very nice. It was well set out and the breakfast was a huge selection.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The bed was smalll for two people Also the Bidvest truck arrived for delivery at 5:30 and being on the second floor we were right above it. It took around 2 hours for it to do what it needed and needless to say we were unable to sleep atall in this period.

We ordered deliveroo on the first night and the staff were kind enough to let us borrow cutlery and condiments

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Only thing is breakfast wasn't that great, the hot breakfast was empty most of the time and people were made to wait for quite a while.

Was a great location, the 'handy' phone provided free of charge is a great bit of service, the staff were very helpful and polite

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Prices of evening meals were expensive.

This hotel was superb, from reception, cleanliness, friendly staff, very modern decor, nice new bathrooms, supercomfy beds and relaxing atmosphere. I can recommend this hotel and we were impressed from arriving to leaving. Excellent transport links ( train and buses within 2 minutes walking ) and near enough for visiting Harry Potter studios.

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

breakfast was not good no bacon available only scrambled eggs which were horrible the hotel should offer other egg varities

room was comfortable good shower

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The parking was £5 but only lasted until you checked out not for 24 hours like we'd read somewhere which was only a problem as we had a couple of hours between check out before we went to the warner bros tour

The bed was really comfy, you got a choice of pillows. The staff were very friendly and the free breakfast was a bonus.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I did not get a receipt for my stay so I am having trouble claiming the cost back from my company

Cleanliness of the room and look of the newly refurbished lounge

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

we left at 7am and returned for 7.30 as the trains were delayed so we had breakfast in the hotel we left the room at about 8.15 and returned at 2.30pm to find the room still had not been cleaned..we then left again at 3pm and did not return until 9pm that night, the room had still not been cleaned but a bag of fresh towels were left outside the door..we couldnt understand why it was not cleaned as we had been gone most of the day.. the only bad thing we can say is the staff were not very attentive..front desk didnt want to bother with us and the servers just stayed behind the bar talking to eachother

The hotel was perfect for access to the harry potter tour and the train to london as the station is only a minutes walk from the hotel...we found it very easy to get to london as the trains are always running..the rooms are very well decorated we loved them

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything was perfect only thing didn't like was the sausages at breakfast

The hotel was perfect for my trip to harry potter tour and was also handy to get to London

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

the breakfast was very poor sausages not cooked bacon very fatty so very limited on wat I ate couldn't understand why the evening meal was delicious but breakfast a real let down!!

the evening meal was fantastic

• Double Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I found the reception staff very rude I am a regular traveler and was made to feel I was in he way when booking in. No welcome, I had to ask where lift was, what time breakfast was and meal times. When I asked for a receipt she huffed. Just took the shine off the visit I won’t use Holiday Inn Express Watford again. Thankfully I was in Leicester the night before and there staff were fantastic so Watford have the issue not Holiday Inn

The quality of rooms and services and location to station allows commute to London

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Maybe could put water in rooms but no complaints was lovely

Great staff and brekkie just a small issue with the key card in the lift... however I knew I’d have to walk up 4 flights of stairs when I went to the bar 4 times in the evening so that’s my bad... I’m sure they’d have sorted it if I’d have asked but I didn’t. thanks for a great stay

• Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The delay in receiving dinner was annoying, but the food quality was good.

The reception staff were amazing. They were the best I've seen. Friendly, efficient and professional.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking bays were few and very small. Hot breakfast was expensive for the quality. Continental breakfast was satisfactory, not wonderful.

Fantastic wetroom with sensible touches like caddy for toiletries at an accessible height. Well thought out. Spotless room and pleasant staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only negative thing was the air conditioner in the room. It was too cold all the time and the hot air didn't seem to work :D But it was okay!

The breakfast was awesome! The personal was also extremely friendly! The internet speed was very good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Building work was going on which we were not informed about. Restaurant for breakfast was closed do had to eat in reception. There was hardly any breakfast available and that was going down to eat very early. If I had known this I would have cancelled. Never staying in a Holiday Inn again.

We had a good night's sleep. And the bathroom was loveley