Reviews of Holiday Inn Fareham Solent 3 stars

Cartwright Drive, Fareham, PO15 5RJ, United Kingdom

#9 of 11 hotels in Fareham

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast poor wasn’t told you could have poached eggs porridge if ordering as I was there for 5 nights could have done with a fridge as we paid £595 dog 5nights poor value

Bed and pool

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately the cutlery at breakfast on both days was dirty. The staff went very attentive.

The location is very good, the leisure centre was excellent and the room was very clean and comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had booked a double and twin room. They gave us two family rooms. No good for my grown up sons!!! One spent 3 days on a camp bed for £300!!! They were fully booked so couldn’t move.

We like this hotel. It is clean and staff excellent. Great to have a pool and restaurant all on site.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Cleanliness was a bit wanting. Toilet not cleaned properly with previous guest pubic hairs not cleaned from the back of the toilet seat. Sink displayed heavy lime scale around pug hole and taps and sink overflow black with dirt as does not appeared to have been ever cleaned. Attention to detail in house keeping goes a long way, as no one wants to see anything left from previous occupants, especially in the bathroom, or lack of detailing when cleaning. Bed although sheets very clean and presented well, was not comfortable and no night light in the room, when need to get up to use bathroom at night. Curtains were torn in places and heavily creased, which gave the room a shabby appearance

Convenient location to event we attended on 19th May. Breakfast was excellent.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wasn’t informed when I went for breakfast that it was self serve but I could have ordered poached eggs/porridge etc. Also the buffet style breakfast food wasn’t hot and the coffee machine ran out of milk.

Pool, sauna and steam and the space in the bedrooms.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The cooked, buffet breakfast was cold, the cutlery and crockery was dirty (old, hardened egg yolk on the plates), there was a lipstick mark on my glass.

The bed and pillows were comfy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bath handle had sharp edges that I cut myself on. It has not healed after nearly two weeks. Reception staff did not know if they were coming or going and giving out wrong information about bookings

Breakfast items not replenished until asked even though 45 mins left of breakfast time and milk in coffee machines needed filling.

Room and beds comfy!! Bathroom clean.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Clean and spacious, lovely rooms. Really loved the fact that you could choose whether to have housekeeping or not as sometimes it is a waste to have them come in solely to make a bed. Staff most helpful. I was there for 4 nights for business and found my stay very pleasant.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

air conditioning was non existent - room very warm and was very difficult to open window just a few inches. Check in lady was very poor - did not explain how to get to our room, just a vague pointing in the general direction when I asked her for directions.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no elevator and our room was second floor which was a bit tricky for my mum whose a little disabled. The room was serviceable but not much in the way of extras ie: hair conditioner biscuits etc. But it was cheap so fair enough really.

We were catching an early ferry from Portsmouth and this was a fantastic location - just 15 minutes from the Port. The hotel was reasonably priced - we didn’t have breakfast so was under £60 per room. We enjoyed using the health suite pretty basic but did the job.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We were told the pool closed at 10pm, only to find that it actually shut at 9pm, which myself and my partner were really looking forward to which is a shame.

The food was wonderful, the beds were extremely comfortable and pool was very relaxing.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I had to leave a day early. They charged me a late cancelation fee for this (£50) that I accepted, but then they sent me a parking ticket for the time when I was checking out and paying the bill.

Nice having access to the leisure facilities.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

We were there 3 nights over 2 full and 2 half days. Our room was not cleaned once. We returned after days out and about, between 2 and 3 to find the room hadn't been touched. This meant no topping up of coffee, tea and milk, no clean towels, no bottled water, no shower gel and no shampoo. After the first time, we spoke with the chambermaid supervisor. She assured us the room would be done the next day at 10:30. But it wasn't. We spoke with reception over the phone and in person, only for them to mutter excuses. They did nothing to address the situation. This has put me off Holiday Inn. I checked out instead of staying another night.

It's okay if you are content to be on an industrial estate with nothing interesting within walking distance. The food wasn't bad.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

i had to make repeated trips to the car to get bags and suits, it was a real pain as there is no lift and it isnt that close when you have no trolley. furthermore when i did manage to bag the trolley and leave it at the foot of the stairs staff then took it and put it back at the front doors. its a shame as it will put me off staying there as i cant keep going back and forth for bags, suits and laptops etc.

the gym and faciloities - fantastic

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was checked into a twin room which smelt. When asked to move I was put into a double room. Not sure why I was put into a twin room to begin with. Rooms are very old and dated. The food was terrible. And the menu options where not healthy at all. The room wasn’t value for money, for what the hotel has to offer.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was a fire in the middle of the night and all the guests had to leave the hotel at 3am while the fire brigade investigated a burning smell in the bar area and we had to spend 40 minutes outside in the cold. These things happen, but I was the fact that they didn't even acknowledge it the next morning when I checked out. An apology would have gone a long way to compensate for the disrupted night's sleep I'd had.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Can some one invent a quiet room fire door? These really banged and sound proofing to corridor was not good, happy returning revellers seemed in my room! Luckily by midnight all quiet. Breakfast not included so did not bother with it.

Ease of parking. comfy bed. Spacious Room. Good little pool, sauna steam room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Used the Spa, nice but needs a spruce up, certain areas bit old looking Television channels limited and kept losing signal which didn't help

Staff service very good and quick and polite, especially book in

• Executive Double Room with Sofa Bed

Stayed here the night of our wedding with other members of family stsying in other rooms. Food service hotel was excellent clean friendly atmosphere xx

• Executive Double Room with Sofa Bed

There was nothing that I didn't like we had a very nice time.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.the pool area was lovely and very relaxing.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was not clean, stains in the sink and bath. Taps difficult to turn on etc.

The room was a good size and the the room was clean and comfortable.

• Executive Double Room with Sofa Bed

On a busy main road. Couldn't use restaurant due to nye party's not just in conferencing suite bit also in small restaraunt, was only advised day before of this. . Spa and pool shut early so couldn't use it on day of arrival. Didn't open till 10am next day. Room temperature to hot controlled centrally despite having thermostat in room. Big fight broke out in the evening police called to evict the combatants and their families. No discount given on room despite this.

Location was ideal for where we needed to be. Breakfast was good staff friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Towel rail in bathroom didn’t seem to work and the bathroom fittings, tile grouting and overall appearance looked very tired

Excellent choice for breakfast, comfy bed and good bed linen

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lounge bar area and dinning room could have been warmer on the night we stayed, which to be fair was an exceptionally cold one.

Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and the hotel comfortable. Food was good, breakfast was particularly nice. Swimming pool was great and the water temp lovely.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The pool was closed for maintenance. I booked the hotel because it had a swimming pool.

Car parking was expansive. The room was super quiet as it was on the end of a wing. The shower was sensational despite it looking like an outdated model.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Full length window with a view straight into the main road - had to keep the curtains closed!

Bed was beautifully comfortable, better nights sleep than at home!

Very disappointed that the pool was closed there was no mention of this when I booked. Drinks were rather expensive.

Lovely room breakfast was great good choose of items. Slept very well, comfy bed, dispite the Christmas party.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

How i was treated everything really i would like full refund

I booked 2 nights got there no one had the booking details and I think I may have been charged twice and was asked to leave after 1 day being told only 1 day was booked and was asked to pay again I would like a fUll refund it was disgusting

The reservations were messed up and took a time to resolve.

The hotel did change the room from a twin (booked) to a double as my son is 6'6".

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lunch was disappointing though dinner was good. The bathroom including the shower could do with upgrading.

Very friendly staff. Pool and Leisure facilities were good. The bed was comfortable and the room in a quiet location.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Went there for the spa facilities, but the jacuzzi was broken on the day. The staff were friendly, but appeared over stretched, tables not cleared away very quickly.

Comfortable bed, overall value for money.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have liked a Super-king bed because we are both large people but the bed provided was adequate and comfortable.

You met all my special requests. ~The eggs, cooked to order at breakfast, were first class and made the breakfast a delight! Allowing us to park close to the hotel made a huge difference, a long trek across the car park is difficult if you have mobility issues.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Upon arrival 2 hrs prior to a family party we were informed that they are not dog friendly despite being listed by booking.con as one if the "top 10" dog friendly hotels in Fareham. We we told we could not have a room. We tried to reach a compromise where the dogs slept in the car and we would stay for just the one night but that was refused. We were then refunded and turned away. Appaling customer service after 350 mile journey!!!

above comments

when we returned to our room it was freezing..... i realized the window had been left open!!! and no heating, so dressed up and put heating on which did not work we found out in the morning, 7 am when we called reception, they brought two heaters and tried to heat room but by then it was too late... we had booked breakfast which was not very warm . so very upset when they said they would report the matter to Housekeeping, That is no good to us this was a treat for my daughter for her Birthday! ....sadly wish we had stayed at home,

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing disliked about hotel. Location was a bit far from any action so return taxi was expensive as we missed the train. But would definitely use again.

Staff were good - helpful & welcoming at all hours. Put up with my drunken partner & kept smiling.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

For the third time in three years (out of at least four stays here) I had a disappointing meal in the restaurant. A med-rare fillet steak that looked more like a well done shoe sole and a flat pint of beer. Fortunately I've now discovered a good value pub serving excellent steaks a short distance away.

Rooms were all very good

Room was too hot with no way of cooling it down, ac is seasonal. Called for room service it never arrived. Extortionate prices for breakfast. Bath was slippery. TV didn't work properly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Jacuzzi turning on and off constantly Wanted to watch an in room movie but was only one choice. Ted 2 Drinks at bar very expensive

Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and couldn’t do enough for me

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Decor throughout is 'tired' and in some areas quite shabby.

Decent sized room with very comfortable beds,with hard and soft pillows. Fitness centre and pool looked good.Good access nearby the M27.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Room didn't initially have the facilities it said it would have for an executive double. What is the point of saying it has a mini bar, when it is an empty fridge? Poor food and service at breakfast. Cereal bowls dirty, milk jug and plate on my table still had the previous occupants brown sauce on.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Cold breakfast, Stained pillows, Remote control- batteries gone, No sanitary bin in bathroom, having to ask for butter 2 days in a row!

Powerful shower friendly staff,

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room was not booked in, so we had to re book our rooms.....We were fortunate that they still had rooms available

Room was clean and the staff was very helpful. Also enjoyed my meal.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The AC wasn’t working, so the staff let me have a fan. That I thought was classed as going the extra mile, thank you soooo much.

The friendliness, cleanliness , swimming pool and sauna and all the staff very pleasant, accomadating and approachable.

• Executive Double Room with Sofa Bed

Hanging space for clothes. TV very fiddly to select a program.

The chef at breakfast was very helpful to my husband who needs gluten free food. Loved the shower.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The open plan lobby and restaurant does not add anything positive to the experience, it makes the place more impersonal with connotations of airport halls and it is noisier as a result. Also we could here people in the corridor very clearly whilst we were in our room and we much prefer better sound insulation.

The convenience of 24h reception, ground floor room. The car park was a relief. Much effort has gone into the disabled access room and it was welcomed. The new manager was excellent at getting things done and customer service recovery when necessary.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rude staff and not having the room that I booked , apparently don't book with booking.com was the receptionist attitude. We said why do you put your accommodation on through booking .com ?

Firstly I booked a twin room through booking.com. I rang the holiday Inn the evening before to find out if my request for a shower rather than a bath had been met. I was told all rooms have baths with showers over them . Then I asked for them to chalk I was defiantly in a twin room as I was sharing with my Aunty who isn't well . I got told I had a room with a double and single bed in it. On arrival we were told we were in a double room I went through the conversation from the previous evening but told there are no double rooms with single beds, the rooms are double with a sofa bed only suitable for children under 12, but the room we were allocated wasn't one of these. They then moved people about and gave us one of those rooms and said I shouldn't book through booking.com as they only book generic rooms not specified as in my case a twin. We did get offered a twin for the next day and told housekeeping would move our luggage. I asked for a room on the ground floor as there isn't a lift in this property and my Aunty has walking problems . Holiday inn did allocate us one and they moved out things . The hotel itself is clean there is a bar and restaurant we ate there and had drinks . The pool facility's looked good although we didn't use it. All the staff apart from the lady on resption the first day ( I think she was called Maria) were very friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was uncomfortable. Both my husband and I felt we were rolling off the edge. The hot food at breakfast was well monitored but the same couldn't be said for the bread and pastries. French bread ran out completely and pastries baskets were empty. Who wants to keep going back to check for replenishments. Not me! Hotel location isn't good unless you have a car. It's called The Holiday Inn Fareham but it's a good ten minutes in the car from the town centre.

Very good parking facilities and good size clean room and bathroom. Fair choice of hot food items for breakfast. We paid £16 for a voucher that covered breakfast for two. I though that was excellent value. We didn't have dinner in the restaurant but the menus looked good and very reasonable for a hotel.

They charged me twice for the room, still waiting for the money to go back into my account. Dinner bill automatically took a 10% service charge. Second room was obviously in an older part of hotel, but that shouldn't stop them providing toiletries and water as in the first room. Couldnt have dinner in the restuarant on the Friday night as we were told there was coach trips having a buffett. So had to go to a local pub.

It appears to be split into two halves. The first night we stayed our room was lovely, very comfortable bed, fidge, bottles of water and full toiletries in room as well as a safe. We checked out and was back a day later for another night (prebooked) had a different room, same rate but bed was awful, no toiletries, safe, fridge or water in the room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

a silly one, chairs in the rest area are very heavy to move.

great hotel with first class facility. breakfast firs class and staff all interested in your health and comfort.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

A few screaming kids & parents calling out to same in the corridors.

Staff excellent at extremely busy time. Always smiling & efficient. Can't do much about screaming kids though even then, most kids were well behaved.

No help in getting luggage upstairs

There fore a Memorial service in Warsash. Hosted elsewhere for breakfast. Very good for our purpose - slightly irritated by swarms of young children.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not as hot as I would like so I didn't have the cooked breakfast. On our second morning it was clear the staff were not as efficient at clearing and restocking as those on the first morning.

Very welcoming staff at reception. Spacious room and bathroom. Good selection of food for breakfast. Free wi-fi.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Queue to check in Wedding guests - no consideration for non wedding guests too noisy - didn't stay for our second night Wedding party spilled out into bar/lounge area so felt we couldn't stay for a drink as intruding on their function Asked for a quiet room and it was anything but quiet

Large room Good breakfast Would have liked a king size bed

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I do feel the cold and our individual heater appeared not to work and I did feel chilly in the evening. Didn't think the hot air really worked well.

Very comfortable stay. Our room was spotless, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious with hot food being refilled as necessary.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing that I would recommend changing is the breakfast to make the continental offering better as it was a bit limited in my opinion, but that is probably is because I'm very fussy when it comes to breakfast!

Excellent atmosphere and facilities! The staff were super friendly from arrival to departure which is exactly what you want from a hotel, the lunch time food offering was fantastic and who can knock a hotel where your room is a few steps from the pool and you can't hear the children playing from your room!? We will happily return for another stay in the near future.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Couldn't fault anything thank you

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay - it was my birthday weekend and I couldn't fault our stay. Great facilities, brilliant and friendly staff. The swimming pool, sauna, gaccusi and Spirit Health Club as a whole were amazing. I had a full body massage which was fantastic - 10 out of 10 for the masseus. Will be going back again. Thank you again Holiday Inn - you really are an amazing hotel and leisure centre.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The venue was hosting a large wedding event, that took over most of the hotel. This made it impossible to get to the bar for peaceful drink and food after a long drive. The language from some guests was foul and some what intimidating to my partner. Broken glass in the reception area. Management had no answer to my complaint but to be fair little could be done. Breakfast was OK until finding the salt grinder was rusty, took photos and have complained to the company, awaiting response. All this could have been a avoided by giving us the choice to cancel are booking or not. Perhaps having another bar within the venue / meeting room could have separated the wedding party from other guests.

Location to family. Car park was OK. Struggled to find much more that's positive.

Steam room wasn't working all the time and needed cleaning.

Beds comfy nice size room and enjoyed the pool facilities. Also nice they left out fruit punch and cakes etc in the evenings plus fruit and sweets always available,nice touch.

A bit very priced.

Everything was fine but was not my first choice as Booking.com cancelled my original hotel, very over priced but nice and was a taxi ride away was the venue I was going too. This add extra plus I had to pay 324 more of which I am still waiting for the reimbursement.

• Executive Double Room with Sofa Bed

sofa bed could do with upgrading and more pillows and bar staff when taking food back can be more thoughtful instead of it looking like an insult if food is not right anyone has the right when paying for it to have it in a good cooked conditon

the place was very clean and most staff couldn't do more to help rooms where spacious clean and a comfy bed bathroom large and clean I stayed in the excutive room with sofa bed

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I felt that the receptionist that checked me in couldn't get rid of me any faster if she tried,leaving me to figure a few things out for myself. My main problem with this hotel is the restaurant, which left me eating meal deals from the shell garage opposite two nights on the bounce. I wasn't expecting anything special,but I was expecting much more for the lofty prices they were charging. The seasonal veg (peas and broccoli) came bathed in a pool of scalding hot water, and the pizza on the second night (served as a solid disk, not slices) was so greasy it threatened to cripple me with cardiovascular disease and triple my bmi after simply thinking about carving into it - I also recognised it as a deep crust frozen pizza from asda that I used to enjoy in my uni days on a student budget - maybe I was in the wrong for expected more for my £12.95 for a pepperoni pizza. Disappointing restaurant from start to finish, the menu seems to be designed to make the chef's life as easy and as idiot-proof as possible, rather than producing food to match the service and standards that the front of house staff are keen to observe, although menus glazed with idecipherable scrawls of berol ink don't help them at all. I also found the general condition and standard of the hotel to be sub-standard considering what I paid for the stay

The room was nice and tidy, the housekeeping staff were lovely and polite.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms are starting to look a little tired, but clean ! Service in the restaurant initially was excellent but took over an hour from arrival to main course. Starter came out in 10 Minutes. They said it was because the dish was baked. Also all I could hear was the kitchen staff messing about and shouting in the background. Not very professional for this class of hotel. On the plus side the meal tasted good. Also the gesture of half a beer for my delay was a bit embarrassing and also it was Carling (Horrible ! ), considering I had bought two Becks with my meal.

Gym facilities and parking.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

shower gel at the showers by pool,

bacon a bit hard & dry we were later to breakfast 8.30. coffee good choice of tea limited, reception very helpful as I forgot toothbrushes,

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very pleasant stay visiting clients then onto see friends. I was very happy with the receptionist who make every effort to book me in early, finding a suitable room within a few minutes as I booked in 2 hrs early. The stay was good and breakfast was nicely prepared, the Hotel felt big but gave a homely impression with all staff looking and seemingly happy, even to the room cleaners who were also very helpful. Thanks for a great stay I will book again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bar staff were very slow and not well trained, e.g., ordered food but had to ask for cutlery. Tables were left dirty. Had to remove crumbs from chairs in restaurant before sitting down. I think the bar service lets the hotel down.

Comfort and facilities. Food was good and there was a great choices for breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The pool was a bit murky and changing rooms had a well used look. To be fair the hotel was very busy so the pool was well used.

We liked it all, the staff were really friendly, the facilities were good and the rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I wanted to use the heated towel rail but could not find how to activate it. Not till the following day when drying my hair did I find the switch at floor level in the room, I did mention this to reception staff and they said I was not the first to comment on this? No room safe and what happened to the bar fridge? I understand that these are probably not considered viable any more.

The property suited us well as we were attending a wedding in Titchfield. The breakfast was good but we did not eat in the restaurant. A friend and also a guest at your hotel wanted an Irish Whiskey but the bar staff had no idea how to make it. The Reception staff were helpful when I needed some scissors for gift wrapping!

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Queueing to get a table for breakfast and very weak tea in a metallic teapot that tainted the taste let the breakfast experience down!

The bed was comfortable and the room quiet. There was no noise from the street so it was possible to get a good night's sleep.They were very accommodating when I informed them of my delayed arrival. The hotel was very well managed and the staff were all very obliging.I would have loved to sample their pool but I didnot have time this trip.

Breakfast poor quality and coffee undrinkable. B edside light is right above your head and you keep bumping into it. No expelair in bathroom.

Beds and pillows very comfortable. Staff very good.

• Executive Double Room with Sofa Bed

There must be a misunderstanding between Booking.com and the hotel. I have booked the executive room with Sofa bed, I was expecting that the sofa bed will be for 2 people, however it was single sofa bed. The booking was for 2 adults and 2 children (9 and 6 years old) it was hard to fit all of us there. I had to move furniture to fit a Z-bed in the room so we did not have space to move. The hotel reception did everything to help us. They do not have any bigger room with double sofa bed. It is wrongly advertised on booking.com Restaurant staff were not friendly at all, nobody did not talk to us during the entire stay. They did not even smiled or said hello. We were waiting over 1h for bar food, nobody even said I am sorry for the waiting. However, next day the food was with us within 15-20min so it was improved on the next day. They really should have customer service training. I was restaurant supervisor and before reception manager so I know what I am taking about.

The room was clean and housekeeping was lovely, they did say hello when passing on the corridor and brought us the things we needed asap, very friendly. Reception and check in was welcoming and friendly especially manager and Mita. Thank you :) We did not use swimming pool, but we went to check it out and it did look lovely.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff not very helpful at the swimming pool reception. Didn't know weather we got towels how much lockers were ect. Also unsure weather it was the time of evening we went but 3/4 of the pool indeed for lane swimming when there was only 3 people doing lane swimming and the tiniest bit of pool to play in.

Staff very welcoming and helpfull in reception, bar and breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The heating/cooling vent was directly above the bed meaning it got cold with it on and too hot when off.On our second visit the vent was on the wall - much better design.

The staff are friendly and very helpful. Clean and comfortable accommodation.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

I cannot think of anything which displeased us.

Convenient, close to main road on my route. My wife an I found all we needed in the hotel for our overnight stay.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not the fault of the hotel, but there are major roadworks so it is hard to cross from the left side of the road to the hotel entrance.

Comfortable bed and good bathroom.