Reviews of Holiday Inn Ipswich 4 stars

London Road, Ipswich, IP2 0UA, United Kingdom

#16 of 27 hotels in Ipswich

• Standard Room

Pool area looked like it needed some refurbishment the tiles in the pool were quite black. The breakfast was good and we got a good deal two for fifteen pounds Fifteen pounds each I think would have been a bit excessive. The evening meal was very tasty but in my opinion over priced.

Comfy bed staff very friendly

nothing, it was great

good location near the main motorways. we stayed for 3 nights; visited Wookey Hole, Southwold, Flatford Mills and Minsmere, all within a hours drive (Flatford was 15 minutes away). cheerful, friendly and helpful hotel employees restaurant was a surprise- really good veggie options, food was great. pool a bonus for the kids, open until 9 PM

• Standard Room

It's not that I don't like the property it was more the failure in our room it was dirty But I went to reception & told the duty manager who had checked us in & what a fantastic response immediately moved to a lovely clean room without a second glance. So over all it was brilliant Even with this mishap the duty manager was brilliant. Many many thanks for a lovely stay. We will return

The service was spot the location was very good the swimming pool staff very helpful all in all very good breakfast was lovely & hot the service was 1st rate

Would have been nice to have a proper swim. Unfortunately due to the number of ladies in the Aqua aerobics class and the majority of the pool sectioned off this was not possible. Specifically picked this hotel for the pool!

Nice comfortable clean rooms. Bar menu was sufficient and food was of a general good quality. Utilized the swimming pool, however an aqua aerobics class started 2 mins into my swimming time and the jumping up and down of 20 ladies created less than perfect swimming conditions. Resembled a very choppy sea and not a calm serene relaxing pool. Hardly any room to swim as majority of pool sectioned off for the fitness class.

• Standard Room

The reception staff didn't greet us at least one or twice when we entered or left the hotel and din't ask us how our stay was. The hole hotel from the room we have stayed in, to the hallways and other facility in this hole are outdated and old. It seems like this hotel requires a refurbishment soon or is overdue.

The value for money, on the fact that it has a swimming pool, Jacuzzi and gym.

Great stay. Comfortable bed, nice sized room, liked the walk-in shower. Perfectly sized swimming pool for a quick dip, and loved having the sauna and steam plus gym. Location was great for what we needed. Breakfast was standard fare and a good choice for all.

• Standard Room

Bathroom was lovely and clean however was a little awkward to get in and out of the door as it was a bit small. Also the maid woke us up to clean the room at 8am on Sunday morning!! A little early I fell especially on a bank holiday weekend and check out is not until 12 noon.

Cleanliness and location was excellent. Fantastic value for money. Pool facilities were great too.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The fluoride on the pool was a bit too strong. But I’m not sure if this is a real issue since it’s me who is sensitive to this substance.

We had a great night at this hotel after a wedding celebrations of friend. I Definitely recommend this hotel!

Totally soulless atmosphere. Frightening price for little in return. £14 for a breakfasts utter robbery. More evening meal menus than I could count rang alarm bells-they don’t know what to cook. Bathroom microscopic and I’m only 80kg,185cm high. Some staff have a totally impolite borderline rude demeanour. Can’t believe I’ve handed over so much hard earned cash for that (non) experience

Nice car park. Nice pint of beer.

The lack of understanding about children under 13 have free breakfast, at one stage I was told regardless of what it said on my confirmtaion that was'nt the case. My son is 12. The recptionist then declared that the hotel policy was for children 12 and under so he did'nt apply. The duty manager was called and said that he did apply. The notices around the hotel about the new parking video sysyem are rude, being told that if you made a mistake when entering your registration number on the system you will still be fined £100, nothing like feeling welcome. The bathroom doors have panel pins int he botton that can catch on your bare feet, cutting the door down to fit over the new laminate flooring is very poor and looks dreadful.

The swimming pool.

• Executive Room

I made the booking for the room nearly a month before we stay and ask for a room down stairs I've stayed there a few times and every time we get there the room is at the end of the building or upstairs

the room was comfortable

The mattress seemed old and astonishingly uncomfortable - I hardly slept at all. The pool needs a refurb.

Staff and bar area. The pool was ok but didn’t seem fantastically clean.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Even though we had a Do Not disturb, housekeeping knocked twice before 11am! May be an idea to re-think the Do Not disturb sign?

Pleasant 1 night stay. Nice receptionist at check in.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Breakfast staff rude and unhelpful. Breakfast manger ok but wait staff awful. Reception and housekeeping lovely. Bar staff and meal in bar really good.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Very comfortable bed and extremely clean. I thought the room was excellent value for money. I lost an item of property and the staff helped me to locate it. Also the bar staff were very attentive.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Ordered a buck of Ice - I told them i would be popping out for a bit thinking that they would place the bucket in my room but it never came. Also the key failed - seems to happen a lot at Holiday Inn - had to be re-coded.

Clean, comfortable and good facilities

• Standard Room

We couldn't find it using sat nav, the post code is correct but it's a long way from where it takes one. The hotel is a bit isolated, the room and bathroom was quite small. Restaurant quite expensive.

Very clean room and bathroom. Rate includes access to pool

• Executive Room

Our executive room was only set up for 1 person so it meant another queue at reception to get towels, a bathrobe, water etc.

Good value, clean rooms, lovely breakfast, decent spa area.

That I had to leave next morning and did not have opportunity to spend more time with them.

Comfortable big room with modern shower - the tap is on the other side of the shower away from cold water. And of course water facilities - a swimming pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi - all these are free for guests.

Twin beds were joined, the duvet was small, we kept pulling the duvet from each other, there should be extra duvet on the bed iin the room

Tea and coffee in the room

• Executive Room

I can't think of anything.

I've stayed there many times and everything is always great. The only issue I ever had in the past was not being able to make phone calls but they changed that last year. I'm very happy they did as that was important to me.

n/a

The overall experience within this hotel I was pleased with as were the other guests we had within our party. I would certainly recommend this hotel and we will be staying with this hotel in the future as we will be in the area numerous times per year.

Other guests were quite noisy (slamming doors) but I appreciate nothing can really be done about it.

The staff were absolutely fantastic at accommodating my family. We had a 10 month old baby girl with us and they moved us straight away so we could have a bath in our room. The staff at breakfast made a big fuss of her and nothing was too much trouble. It can be stressful traveling with a baby but the staff we so helpful and made it much easier. All very helpful and we will definitely be staying again. Thank you Holiday Inn Ipswich.

• Standard Room

Our van was broken into in the hotel car park and all tools stolen the hotel staff were useless, no CCTV in the Car Park and apparently this happens on a regular basis!!

• Standard Room

Nothing, it was a brilliant stay

The bed was very comfortable. The facilities were just what I needed, good gym. Breakfast had a good selection of food

Think my room was near housekeeping cupboard or something they were quite noisey in the morning however I do understand they have a job to do

Staff were very friendly and accommodating

• Standard Room

The room keys didn't always work, sometimes it took 3-4 goes, which a little annoying. At breakfast the waitress were clearing dishes, knives and forks right in front of the table - not the best experience at 8.00 am!

The room was superb, the restaurant had excellent food and swimming pool were very awesome/

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Tiny ensuite to get into Trouble with the key card for the door, had to change it 3 times. No lift to second floor so lifting cases/ walking up and down 20 steps to and from the room.

Good location for us Good food, helpful staff Good lounge/ bar area

Room was quite warm.

The staff were all very friendly and polite, the best standard of customer service i'd received in some time. Good standard of food. Good strong shower and clean bathroom.

• Standard Room

Excellent hotel, breakfast very good and well managed. Offered an option of a packed lunch if you needed to leave early - but it would be a shame to miss the breakfast.

Tired looking hotel, layout not great and food could be better.. Choice pretty limited even in the dining room.

Staff were great though polite and smiling which is always nice to see.

• Standard Room

I didn’t like the cleaners when they knocked at the room n said we have to clean it are you leaving now and it was only 11.15am

There was no characters in the room. Toilet seatwas high... breakfast at the restaurant didn’t have a wow factor.

• Standard Room

Driveway and parking area had several potholes. Security door would not lock. Cleaning rag left on lamp. No decaf or herbal tea. Further away from A14 than 2 minutes.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Bathroom was terrible. You had to negotiate around the door to get the door to close for the toilet. Only room for one person at a time and shower sprayed onto the door and floor. Pool is open until 10pm but make sure you get there by 9.30pm or you wont be admitted. Ate in the cafe most nights which was great - however the restaurant was not so good.

Loved the property for the location. Also the fact that the restaurant is open until 11pm. Spa and Pool were incredible. Some of the staff were amazing - so friendly and helpful to us. Housekeeping team went over and above to assist us. Plenty of parking and easy access to all major roads. Close to a Tesco Extra and other take away restaurants.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Only negative comment about this hotel would be regards fire escape exit doors- we notised that they all available to open from outside. It doesn't look safe, anyone can open it and get access inside hotel.

Everything else was brilliant. Lovely room and breakfast, very friendly staff. We enjoyed our staying a lot.

A small point more milk should be supplied in rooms. I know more is available at reception but a little more in the rooms would be good.

Fast check in warm comfortable rooms and friendly staff

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The swimming pool was dirty and really not pleasant. There was paint stains all over our bed and dirty stains up the wall in our room.

Breakfast was lovely

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The food was awful ! Especially the duck confi with the weirdest mixture of veg ! Disgusting ! My hubby had a watery curry !

Room ok ! Nice pillows ! Very small bathroom !

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Our room was very nearly given away to the people checking in before us because the member of staff at reception didn't check their details properly. Luckily we happened to be there at the same time so we could highlight the error. Also, the pool had too many fragrant chemicals in, was unpleasant to swim in, and the changing rooms seemed very out of date.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. We got a great night's sleep.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The cost of the breakfast. Nearly £15 or with a voucher £10. Prohibitively expensive for me. I didn't go to the restaurant so can't comment. I had a small glass of wine that was £6.85. Again far too expensive. I ordered a coffee from the bar and wasn't able to put it on my room and couldn't pay with a card at the bar for some reason. So I had to go to reception and pay for the coffee on my card and then go back to the bar to collect my coffee. The lady at the reception was a little puzzled too!

The staff were really helpful and welcoming. Very friendly and polite. the room was a nice size. The bathroom was maybe a bit of a squeeze but modern and very clean. the bed was a nice size and very comfortable.

• Executive Room

Old property, exec room was miles from reception (slight exaggeration). bathroom for an exec room, or any room was ridiculously small. If your room number is 240ish upwards, be prepared for a trek. Comfy bed and pillows.

Bar food was good. Lovely staff.

I would have liked a drawer or two to put clothes into that didn't require hangers. The bathroom was a little tight-fitting. Luckily, we are very slim!

The breakfast was great and the swimming pool was lovely and warm, although a little small for the amount of people using it when we were there.

Bathroom was a bit small thou clean modern and functional

The atmosphere the staff the food room was comfortable facilities good excellent value for money

• Double Room - Disability Access

We can’t have a dinner with the room

I really like the breakfast it was really delicious and the spa but it was a bit busy and the pool was cold one of the day

• Standard Room

The only facility in the room we had a problem with was the iron, it didn't really do the job. Also there was only one dressing gown in the room, we booked a double room for two people. Other than that all was good.

The whole room in general was fab, we found it great value for the money compared to other hotels we've stayed in and the staff were very friendly.

Leisure facilities were too crowded on Monday night. I guess this is members rather than guests

Bed was comfy First night was good value, second night less so

The weather was not very nice.

The whole experience from booking in to using the bar and restaurant was excellent. Booking out was very simple and quick

The bed was to hard the pillows were hard all I kept hearing that night was something banging on the window I could get asleep at all so I wasn't happy with my stay

Well all I liked was the shower

The bathroom was new and clean but best not to enter in a hurry as space with door open was limited. There was no hotel specific information in the room so no idea of time for breakfast or pool etc. wedding seemed to take over the bar area as well as their rooms.

The swimming pool looked fantastic although I didn't make it in there. Breakfast was good and the room was clean. Access from A14 was easy.

No complaints, in reality it exceeded my expectations. I'm trying to find an obvious fault but all in all its a fairly decent hotel close to amenities.

Good sized rooms, well decorated and comfortable bed. Staff were courteous. Good range of foodstuffs on breakfast menu, wide range on bar meals. Didn't use the gym but Gym and look included in price. Quite quiet whilst I was there, lounge area good for informal meetings.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Found the breakfast the thing that let the stay down, I had a small plate to try the bacon, eggs etc finished this tester plate started to taste the coffee and a staff member rushed my plate ,knife and fork away so i did not get to have a full breakfast,

Bed was very nice, Staff at front desk very very helpful, Did not have a chance to use the pool but we will be returning for a longer stay and then we will use the pool as it looked so inviting ,

• Standard Room

I was offered a room fitted out for the disabled, which I am not. I do not require these fittings and installations for myself. Return to 'reception', for a room change, where it was confirmed that no other room was available, and after checking no accommodation was available at the Holiday Inn down the road, it was inferred that this was due to the booking method which I used, (Booking.com)? Clearly I was now 'stuck' for the night, and the stress is rising. Then a few minutes later a room was then found, which would be ok for two nights, and the room is now available for someone who needs it. This seems like parking my car in a disabled space, unnecessary.

The restaurant for evening meal and breakfast was very good with regard to service and food quality.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Clean and tidy with helpful staff

(1) The staff: very friendly and helpful. (2) The hotel: I did not use the facilities because I arrived late and left early but overall it seemed clean and spacious. (3) The room: small bathroom. Difficult to close the door once inside. Room next door was playing music which was annoying initially but it stopped after a few minutes and so there was no problem. Otherwise very clean and tidy and the WiFi worked well. (4) No breakfast included.

Pokey bathroom, lack of shower soap first night. Smelt of tobacco smoke. Room felt heavily used.

Comfy bed, and plenty of wardrobe space. good heating.

Room was a bit cold and there was significant noise from neighbouring occupants via the locked adjoining door. Fortunately they went to bed at 10 and didn't continue to make noise whilst I was trying to sleep. Pool changing facilities not as clean as they could have been. Breakfast was okay but nothing special.

Quiet, comfortable bed. Pleasant meal at dinner time. Friendly restaurant staff. Nice to have access to a pool.

• Standard Room

Nothing else about if you fancied a walk or a pint in a local pub.

The staff were fantastic. Good facilities. The Indian buffet was an unexpected plus.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Had trouble changing booking prior to arrival. Christmas parties meant it was really busy and reception weren't able to source a taxi for us.

Easy to find and easy to park. Breakfast was really good, lots of choice and all fresh. Despite the parties bedrooms were quiet.

Expensive dinner . No breakfast included in price which was high for the quality of hotel in Ipswich .

Very comfortable. Welcoming staff .good service in the restaurant - but expensive meal.

The only thing i can fault if I had too was you had too pay extra for room service. But that’s only if I had too have a fault .

The hotel is amazing friendly staff, very clean, and overall a lovely hotel.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

everything was perfect. A part from the bed . It was a old spring mattris and i didn't sleep at all and this was Christmas Eve

everything was perfect. A part from the bed . It was a old spring mattress and i didn't sleep at all and this was Christmas Eve

• Executive Double Room

We got an executive room which wasn't executive. We got breakfast included but still paid £4.50 for tray charge. We also had the police at our door because they mistook me for a girl I look nothing like just the fact she's black? And 3 other girls were racially profiled too! We used our names on the room? The girl doesn't share my name or my partners! Not to mention she's 6ft I'm 5ft.... we just shared the same colour put us off straight away and we left.

The bathroom was lovely and the location was really good

Simple basic but clean. Room has very small shower room ensuite. Bed was Ok but room too warm even with rad off and a/c supposedly set to cool. Tv remote broken Pool and gym clean and tidy Bar area ok and food bit generic but good enough It is what you expect as a budget hotel, the gym/pool makes it decent value

Cleaner walked into the room without knocking about 8.30. Supervisor knocked at 9.00. Checkout is 12.00 so I shouldn't need to use a "do not disturb" notice so early. Went for breakfast just before 9.30 and the fruit and cereals were cleared away before I had finished my cereal, hot buffet followed soon after.

Good breakfast selection with interesting fruits.

Had booked a twin room but were given a double, didn't notice until we had unpacked so decided to stick with it .

Breakfast excellent , nice quiet bedroom, lovely hot shower.

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

Bed could have been larger a king or super king. No biscuits supplied in the room with tea and coffee.

friendly staff, reasonably size room with all amenities that you would expect. Breakfast excellent.

Poor customer service, room service took forever, they ask you for the age of a child but have nothing to accommodate them, travelling with a 2 year no microwave in the room took me 45mins just to get a glass of milk, remote control was dirty had soo much dust on it, the toilet was small and the heating stopped working during the night

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

to really nit pick I would say that although the room was very competitively priced, the bar prices and menu were a tad overpriced.

My fiancee and I stayed for a couple of nights and were very happy with our stay, the staff were very friendly, helpful, the food was very well prepared and tasty, the pool, sauna, steam room and changing rooms were clean and well maintained. Very difficult to find anything negative to say and would definitely stay again.

No lift for the public to use, so struggled with luggage up the stairs. Very disappointed that there was no beautician operating in the health club. Wanted to book a massage but not possible. Jacuzzi was a bit small, more than two people would be a squeeze.

Comfortable room in a very quiet part of the hotel. Good location, not far from Ipswich centre.

• Standard Room

Room was very well appointed and very clean. All personnel were outstanding with house keeper Tammy placing wine glasses for us without being asked. I would return to the hotel if I were to visit Ipswich in the future

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The reason I chose the Ipswich Holiday Inn because all the pics indicated 'breakfast included'. On enquiring about this with Reception I was told all rooms were on RO basis. Apparently several customers have complained to the hotel, which on the face of it suggests a bit of sharp practice not normally associated with Holiday Inns.

The large disabled room on the ground floor. The helpful attitude of all reception staff and those serving in the restaurant.

• Standard Room

location of room and bathroom space( Far too small!!).....Water pressure in shower was non existent. complained, but nothing happened unless you wanted a freezing shower?? With no bath to use, 3 nights on a worn out mattress in that room became a nightmare. Corridoors too long, no lift and too far from reception to carry luggage, though booked weeks before online

choice and quality of breakfasts only

Being the first room in the corridor and hearing all the drunk people coming back late was much quieter last week when I had an executive room so will stick to that next time also we had an adjoining door and could hear next door playing loud music

Enjoyed a lovely afternoon swim.breakfast was very nice the bacon especially.the staff were very helpfull.was the second stay in a week would definitely go again

• Double Room with Sofa Bed

The hotel states the bed is a double. The bed is a very small double and we were glad we had asked for a sofa bed room or we would’ve struggled to sleep.

The tv in the bedroom offers sky and movies at extra cost. The swimming pool and gym looked very clean but we didn’t use this. It would’ve been more helpful to have information in the room about the gym / pool the rules etc.

Bar staff struggled to open us a tab so we could pay for our food and drink at the end of the evening. Service charge was automatically charged at 10% for food and drink in the bar.

Reception staff very friendly and helpful especially when they had tried to charge us twice for the booking. Mistake was sorted promptly. House keeping staff provided extras for the room very promptly. Food in the bar was very nice and the service staff were very polite and friendly.

Rooms are quite small but they are quiet, although the main door to the room was heavy and banged shut. (Likewise everyone else's door did too). But I slept well and so did my son.