Reviews of Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central 4 stars

500 Saxon Gate West, Milton Keynes, MK9 2HQ, United Kingdom

#8 of 21 hotels in Milton Keynes

Staff could improve their service.

Staff could improve their service. The barman made me feel like I was being a pain when I ordered a drink and reception was pretty slow for check out.

Fine for a night in Milton Keynes
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the bed wasn't the comfiest and noticeably dipped in the middle. Despite seemingly good double glazing, could still hear some of the 'nightlife' going on outside (being a Saturday night). Our room had a view of a gentleman's club across a forecourt (don't panic, you couldn't see anything going on)

Nice enough hotel with a lot of restaurants nearby. We were attending an event at Planet Ice - Milton Keynes and this hotel was about a 20 minute walk from there along Milton Keynes grid system. Reception staff very nice.

Friendly, helpful staff.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very friendly and helpful staff. Reception gladly changed our room when we realised it was double rather than twinned. Our TV had no signal, they fixed it very promptly and with a lovely attitude. Brilliant wooden blackout blinds, they actually really work!

Not a lot.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Having used Holiday Inns IN HULL, DERBY, NORTHAMPTON AND NOW M.K. I FOUND THAT THIS WAS THE WORST. FOR E.G. PARKING AT HULL & NRTHAMPTON WAS FREE. DERBY CHARGED 5 POUNDS per day(under cover). M.K. 8 POUNDS per day in the open! Why?

Not a lot. Complained to waitress about a chipped cup, which she apologised and got rid of of. There seemed a shortage of staff at dinner and an excess of staff at breakfast. Why?

Room was big with lovely view.

Bed had a division we had most uncomfortable night.Hot chocolate had lumps un able to drink.No parking from hotel side.Remote not working,was told to come and collect another one at the reception

Room was big with lovely view.

Fine
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Shocked at having to pay £8 to park right in front of hotel, when on Booking.com it only said Parking, but on the hotels website they say you have to pay. Spoilt our stay a little. Never had to pay parking unless it stated on Booking. Com we use you a lot, you need the change that .

Staff good, we arrived very late, booking in was very easy.

Night in MK
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have liked a bottle of water in the room.

The staff were very helpful and polite, you instantly felt relaxed. The location was central and perfect for a night out or a trip to the shops. The rooms were comfortable and clean.

Great place for a few nights stay, peaceful.

On arrival the bin in the room had a banana skin in it and there was a used soap on the sink. The cleaning staff then took away the new soap I opened two days running, so wasteful! The towels kept getting replaced even though they weren`t left on the floor, again wasteful. The air conditioner was also switched on each time we returned to the room, on a high heat, considering the weather this was uncalled for. I had to open the window to cool the room off.

The room was clean & comfortable, bathroom ok. Plenty of sockets for charging gadgets. Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice. Swimming pool was lovely and warm and the gym great. The tv remote wouldn`t work but on phoning reception a new one was brought to the room within a short time. Very helpful staff!

Comfortable short break overnight.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately someone had been smoking in their room and drifted through the vents into our room. Small amount of mound around edge of bath.

The size of the room was good and the view on to the internal area from the window was nice.

Excellent location for The Hub, Xscape and the Theatre District!..Excellent Hotel!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Not enough power sockets..Nothing next to the bed by the bedside units for phone charging..

The breakfast was to die for!..The beds were very comfy..Slept like I was dead!😆

Great stay except for a few niggles

Paying for parking Having a room out the front with a broken air cooling system meant having the window open, which of course means smoke entering the room which isn't nice. Reported the broken air cooling system, but no one ever came to look at it. Hottest 2 nights of the year (at the time), it was pretty uncomfortable.

The pool and facilities. Location was pretty good. Room was nice and the bed was comfortable.

Good stay an location would not stay in nom window room again as didnt sleep well .

The room was a non window room and the Fri he woke us up with a ticking sound went on for 30min or so intil we switched it off .an no air in the room

The location is very good for bars an shopping

Good hotel ,nice atmosphere, mostly friendly staff, room too hot !
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We had problems with the air con ? 4th floor , room was too hot !

The hotel was near Woburn Safari Park, and also near restaurants and bars for the evening.

Mainly good but with reservations.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I had asked for a room with a walk-in shower which was provided but at a considerable walking distance from the lifts. I had indicated that she had mobility problems. The room was very large and comfortable but there was a rather unpleasent aroma from the shower which we reported on leaving. Thinking about it we should have reported it before but being English we just put up with it for the one night we would be there. At check-out I was asked to pay the bill which I had assumed had already been paid on booking, it appears not.

The hotel was bright and welcoming in the middle of Milton JKeynes and just a mile or two from where our partyy was to take place. Checking in was easy although it was in my partner's name and not mine. Breakfast was excellent.

The property itself was OK and the staff seemed friendly.

Booking.com did not pass on our request to change the booking which meant that we were surprised when we arrived at the hotel that we continued to have 1 room with a bed and a sofa bed and not have two rooms.

The property itself was OK and the staff seemed friendly. It seemed a very convenient location if working in MK.

Location was amazing.

TV didn’t work - kept crackling

Location was amazing. Price was also good for the room. Comfortable bed Did not have breakfast so cannot comment on that. Parking price was also okay

Very poor

Went to use sauna and steam room, there was no sauna. My food took 50 minutes to come to the room and then was cold. Had to pay £7.50 to watch any tv programme. Banging all night long. Kids running around everywhere, wanted a quiet break!

Comfortable beds.

I know the hotel can’t doing anything about the weather but...

I know the hotel can’t doing anything about the weather but all the rain coming in through the roof, staff not knowing what to do very little communication from staff. Water in my room where it had found away in somewhere around the window area staff having no answer apart from they would mop the water up.

location comfort

We had trouble with the key card sometimes it would not open the door the night we stayed someone mistakenly opened our door with key card thinking it was his room a genuine mistake on his part . Obviously a over site on reception. We did tell reception he apologies but they need to address this

location comfort

I got what I paid for and if required I would stay again
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The Room was very hot and stuffy.Due to the design of the hotel my room faced on to the courtyard so I was unable to open a window. The air conditioning just moved hot air around the room but they did have a desk fan in the room , not great but was able to sleep. Bed was comfortable. Decor was dated in the room but it was clean and a nice room for the night

The room was a good size and there was a little fridge to keep drinks cool. Bonus of a pool and steam room in the health club. During my stay there was a wedding and they offered me a room away from the noise at checking in even though I didn’t think it would be a problem , that was very considerate. Staff were pleasant

Lovely room, bar area relaxing, but facilities were shocking and poorly advertised

Swimming pool dirty, kids swimming lesson going on when it was not advertised as a COMMUNAL pool, screaming kids, 2 loungers, not enough space in pool area, gym is tiny, steam room smelt of sewage!!! NOT RELAXING

Rooms are lovely

Nothing more to add
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was a little disappointing. Slow to flush toilet and the bath had a plug hole that was scoured to the underlying metal (i.e. brown) beneath. Prices in the bar were a little high.

All in all, a satisfactory room, but not all good as the ones I've stayed in in the same hotel before.

Lovely hotel, great location - definitely worth a stay :)

Didn’t feel when we checked in we were given the right or relevant information so kept having to go to reception to ask questions.

Breakfast was good, staff were friendly - pool was great to have :)

Overall happy and definitely will recommend.

That you had to pay for the parking even though your a guest staying with them. No complementary water bottles or biscuits.

Got a window room. Size of the room Was big and comfortable. Staff were very nice and room service was brilliant. With no extra charges.

HEll
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Never liked it and would never like it. The room has no Air condition. Just imagine how hot the weather was on the days I spent there and picture the air conditioner not working. I was given a tiny £5 Argos fan to console me. I had to move to Jurys inn on the 3rd day.

I like nothing about the hotel

The location is ideal for the event I was attending at MK...

Bathroom was a bit tatty. I thought a parking charge of £8 per day was excessive. I was disappointed that the room I booked was as far away from the lift as possible, down 2 corridors with firedoors to negotiate, given that I booked the room several months ago. I thought the fixed price menu was pricy for what was included.

The location is ideal for the event I was attending at MK Centre. The selection and quality of the food at breakfast was good.

Good location with paid parking outside. Old dated room with a good breakfast.

Room was old and dated. Wasn’t what we were expecting and we would probably pick a different place to stay next time. Standard free internet was poor and we had to pay for the upgraded version.

Breakfast and location.

OK for a stay in Milton Keynes

Breakfast very expensive, we did not book it.

Big hotel in central Milton keynes. Very cheap at the weekend. Payed parking in front of the hotel. Nothing special.

clean

parking costly. Don't eat the food it had a buffet ( curry ) left out for guests to buy which was not cheap which looked horrible. Getting food in this area is a nightmare. No good restaurants nearby.

clean

Good value staff and will do so again
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

not much although the corridors and doors lack the same upgrade that is evident in the bedrooms

Really nice breakfast with food prepared freshly and attentive staff. Rooms refurbished nicely and well appointed. Nice public areas

Great staff, room stiflingly hot, had to leave early

My room (225) and my friend's adjoining room (226) were very warm and no matter how long we left it or adjusted it eg we turned the temp down and left for two hours, came back and closed window in case that was issue, sat in the dark with no lights etc but didn't cool down. Had to sleep with wet towel. Another friend in room 231 had lovely aircon and temp. We checked out early because it became unbearable.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The swimming pool and steam room are a fantastic bonus.

Excellant location, lovely food and lovely swimming pool.

Ordered room service and had to go downstairs to bar and pay by card. Wasnt able to buy armbands for daughter at swimming pool - as computer down and man didnt know how much they were ? So wouldnt sell them.

Excellant location, lovely food and lovely swimming pool.

Fine, if the location and the quality of the acommodation are taken into account, 10/10

The room was a much better one than I stayed in before (when there were problems with the toilet not flushing, as so forth). I really like this room (= 405)

Nice room and comfortable beds but cleanliness not the best.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The cleaners left the previous persons clothes in the wardrobe! There were also hairs in the bed and shower when we arrived.... we told the check out that the clothes were there and they did apologise but no money off or voucher?

The breakfast was good and the beds in the room were comfortable the reception staff were friendly

Hotel great but parking was a nightmare
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The parking needs to be clearer. I got a ticket for accidentally parking in the Council spaces even though I felt I was right under the holiday inn sign.

I loved the room and facilities in the hotel.

Not good
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Stuff rude and unfriendly. Food was not great. Pool had a quarter section closed off. Room very dated. Brown furniture. Bed wasn't very comfy. Tiniest bath ever.

Clean pool. Some food nice.

The staff are great but some areas, like the pool, were disappointing
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Our bathroom was very 'tired' with a cracked sink, stained toilet and ripped shower curtain. The pool area is pretty grotty and really needs updating.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good.

The car park isn't clear which side to park in and even...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The car park isn't clear which side to park in and even though i paid the £8 parking to the hotel i still got a parking ticket because I was in the wrong side apparently

Excellent value!

Centrally located, ideal for shopping, restaurants and theatres. The facilities were superb and we took full advantage of the gym and pool. We would definitely book here again.

Very poor
    • Double Room with Accessible Toilet

The room what I was saying was for disabled I was with two adults and two children and they give me the disabled one with one bed did not fill my needs and didn't get much sleep I complained about it and basically they worth checking

great hotel with friendly staff.

Bar prices were very high compared to local bars. surrounding area was swamped with homeless who constantly harassed us.

very friendly and helpful staff. clean and well presented hotel. Great location just over the road from the shopping mall.

Would stay again, if only food was cheaper
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Not a lot of entertainment in room (no dvd player, have to rent films for extreme prices) and food was expensive

Spacious room for cheap price and free wifi

A good business hotel

Booking.com did not book enough rooms for my booking.

The breakfast was good and the meeting facilities are also good. However we had an issue with Booking.com not communicating both rooms in our booking to the hotel and the hotel was fully booked so had no room for me....the hotel were excellent at resolving the issue and took me to a neighboring hotel and paid for my room and my breakfast...Booking.com - sort it out this is not acceptable service!!!!

Excellent value, great for a shopping trip with lots of restaurants on the doorstep
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Football on the TVs in the bar. Wall to wall football with no one watching.

The location was superb. We came to shop and Debenhams and the main shopping centre were right opposite. On site parking at £8/24 hours was good value and very convenient. The hub of restaurants and bars is right behind the hotel too.

Very happy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Minor comment - Lighting in our room (125) could have been a little better, particularly over the 2 mirrors in the hotel which I found difficult to do hair and makeup in. Maybe a small light over these would have helped as it seemed dark in these areas of the room?

We only stayed for the 1 night and were out for most of it, but couldn't fault the hotel or staff. Good location as it was only a short walk to the arena, with bars along the way!

Brilliant
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Exceptionally good value for money! Very very friendly front desk staff. Perfect for us staying for just one night, although I would've loved to stay for longer since it was so nice.

Unbearably noisy and incredibly stressful.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The noise from a function taking place downstairs. Room too hot. Not enough vegan options. Water should be made available for drinking.

One member of staff was very helpful when I was ready for walking out.

Hidden costs of extra £8 for parking was not expected, the hotel had the big boxing match on in the main bar area (and neglected to tell us) that our room was above ...the noise was horrific ALL NIGHT, even when the revelers were coming to bed they had zero consideration for others, shouting and screaming in the corridors, the heating was set to the level of the surface of the sun and wouldn't turn down. Another customer was in front of me in the reception complaining about the same thing as me at checkout ...she got a 10% discount and a free upgrade for her next holiday inn visit .. I got an apology and an offer of free points because I had already paid up front and I was a club member ? ..am I ? where are the points allocated? how many do I need for perks? where's the proof they were issued? Where are the statements that tell me how many I have ? The only reason I haven't given poor for everything is the politeness of staff and the comfort of the bed. Also the cost of breakfast ... £15 EACH ?????? wow ...no wonder I declined that !!

The bed was Very comfy, the room well cleaned and well presented, the hotel itself was very easy to find using sat nav as I had never been to Milton Keynes before.

comfortable, friendly hotel in great location

The whole stay was great, to the very efficient, friendly staff that booked us in to the bar staff who were all very friendly and obliging. Room was very nice, beds were very comfortable and cooked breakfast was delicious, with great variety and very fresh.

Great location, but not great stay of the bed are so uncomfortable that you don't actually sleep.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in. Movie kept freezing so not able to watch it and when mentioned to staff on check out this was not deducted from bill. Wasn't made aware at check in that there was a fee for parking of £10.00. Swimming pool grotty!

Location is great. 2 mins walk to shops, restaurants and Spa.

Started good then after a while went down hill
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

After about 3 days the staff weren't cleaning the room as good as they were before starting leaving bags and boxes plus sometimes the bed hadn't been changed even though I put "please clean my room" sign on the door

I liked the staff were doing brilliantly for the first 3 days of the stay

Close to everything we needed

We where going to dine her on the Sunday night only to be told the restaurant was closed could still order of the menu bot had to sit in the bar area staff was very helpful and friendly

Close to everything we needed

Happy and will be coming again

Buffet style brekkie but appreciate that is the norm nowadays. Very good choices though so only my personal choice not a real con.

One night stay for concert. Excellent value and location

Very good location, has all amenities, within walking distance or a short uber ride away.

cleanliness of the changing rooms in the pool area and the free wifi is only for light internet use. you have to pay extra for decent internet

Pool and Fitness centre

Birthday shopping

The breakfast was ok!! Could be improved plates cold. Mushrooms cold. Hash browns needed cooking longer along with the bacon. The fried eggs were solid hard same as poached eggs..leaving under a hotplate is not ideal...same as the utensils were left under which I found as I burnt my hand...drink facilities were great and rest of brekkie bits...cooked buffet needs looking at tho.

Staff great...room spacious and comfy. Great location for shopping

Overall, the Holiday Inn exceeded my expectations, I would be happy to stay there again.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

An extra chair at the dressing table would have been good. The bar ran out of sparkling water on Wednesday afternoon.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Staff very friendly and helpful at breakfast, and plates...

The air heating was noisy, and the thermostat didn’t seem to be working. The towel rail didn’t work, which made the bathroom rather cold, as there was no other form of heating in there.

Staff very friendly and helpful at breakfast, and plates were cleared away promptly, which often doesn’t happen in other hotels. The hot self service food was beautifully presented, and looked appetising.

good location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

evening meal however this was not in with the price. no free parking left we arrived at 4.30 on the afternoon. had to pay as we were leavibg at 9.30 the nect morning it was only £2

breakfast eas fine however the evening which we bought was not so good.

Overall a good experience just a bit more attention to detail and a bit of a freshen up needed.

Bathroom in room was very tired and needs some TLC. Blinds in Restaurant could do with a good dusting

Lovely nights sleep. Nice fresh breakfast. Smiley, happy, knowledgable staff. Excellent greeting. Easy check in and check out

Location was brilliant - easy walk to shops, resturants and theatre.

Didnt mind paying £8 for 24hr parking but there just wasn't enough bays for HI customers to actually park in. You need more car parking bays. Badly sign posted that HI carpark was only first 2 rows.

Cleanliness Breakfast was amazing Location

Excellent hotel, superb staff.

The wooden 'curtains' on some rooms take some getting used to!

The staff here are always helpful and cheery, I look forward to staying. the facilities for a city centre hotel are excellent and the location is ideal for the surrounding amenities.

Disappointed

The stale smell in the room, concert that was going on until about midnight, and then the people coming and going until the early hours that were banging doors.

The restaurant food was delicious.

Hotel Review.

Nothing to dislike.

The location it's in is perfect for everyone shoppers, clubbers and for people who like to dine out. The staff are very friendly and courteous. It has a gym and swimming pool also.

overall very pleased. The staff made the hotel really
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was dated, with cracked tiles.

The staff were all exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable. The chef came out at breakfast and asked if we enjoyed it, which I think was a really nice touch.

Convenient but underwhelming

Bathroom had a smoke smell in it. The base of the bed had stains around it. Wood was chipped and toilet had stains. Room 333.

Staff were friendly and location is convenient

Disappointed this visit

Stayed her multiple times byt vwry disappointed this visit. The breakfast was cold. Not a good selection. Asked for freshly cooked poached eggs which were under cooked. Dust in the executive room.

The parking price has reduced to £8 a night but still expensive especially if your booked to stay the night.

OK, the bar area was nice, but the room had some problems (as detailed above)

The toilet in my room was not clean, and also required several attempts to flush it. The bed was stripped while I was out and not remade; I had to ask for pillow cases from a room maid in the next the hall (to be fair, she offered to remake it, although it was not part of her job).

Nice, comfortable stay.

The owner of the place is super helpful and will do everything in his power to make your stay wonderful. Location is really great for business and very peaceful in the evening. I highly-highly recommend to everyone!

Dissappointing
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Lights were out in the room. My daughter cut her foot on a rough/cracked tile in the swimming pool which i reported on our way out, staff gave us a plaster but didn't ask to see the cut or even ask how she was! Pleasant lady at check in but no recognition when we checked out ie. no one asked if we enjoyed our stay! We had two interconnecting rooms, one had an electronic heating control which was fine, the other was older manual and the room was very cold unless you put the heater on, but unable to sleep with this constant humming noise. Lots of homeless people around which obviously isn't the hotel's fault but we we approached by someone begging when we returned to the hotel at night and there were people sleeping right outside the door when we left the following morning.

Very pleasant/friendly cleaners

Perfectly fine.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

My room didn't have bottles of water, although friends who booked and paid the same got water and one even had snacks. A more interesting range of tea bags / hot chocolate would have been fabulous. Service in the bar wasn't great, there were massive delays on food for some.

Bed was comfy, internet was free, towels were fluffy.

My husband and I travelled here with our 4 year old son.

My husband and I travelled here with our 4 year old son. It really felt like a break away. Our son loved the pool especially that it was heated and Mummy loved being footsteps away from the Intu shopping centre. Staff were lovely and approachable. Will most definitely return.

Ok . Would book again but disappointed we didn't get the in room treats we paid for and got in the o

We asked for an accessible room. Didn't get so asked to move room. We initially booked and paid for a superior room with treats and water etc....because we moved to a different room we didn't receive these extras we'd paid for. We feel we should not have had to point this out to staff.

Staff service

Couldn't fault anything! Staff were so friendly

THe hotel generally is so lovely! The 5 of us that stayed felt like we were on holiday just sat in the hotel

I'd book again! 5++
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Ideal location, views from all rooms and we where asked which floor we would like to be on. Overall..would book again! Breakfast was also fresh and hot for a buffet.

Rooms were very clean, had an evening meal which was good.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The entertainment system was a bit archaic, didn't respond to the remote very well, and bad reception.

Rooms were very clean, had an evening meal which was good.